PDA

View Full Version : 8/3 PM Report: SoCal, Buff, Montrose, 24champ

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
This format will be slightly different for me. I won't break it down positionally, rather, by some of the main periods they devoted to the practice.

I. EARLY PRACTICE DRILLS
Practice began mainly with more emphasis on punt coverage drills, basically doing everything in slow-mo to emphasize lane integrity etc. The QB's then worked on throwing to stationary targets.

We saw a return of OSKIE's "Dave Campo" drill where the coach bounces the ball and the defender has to either recover the fumble on the bounce or keep it in bounds. They were doing alot of specific coaching in this drill. I think the coach indicated that the players had to "bend their knees like a shortstop".

The team also worked on a bag drill for the QBs. The purpose appeared to be simulating contact in the pocket, getting the QB to 1) maintain possession in the face of a crumbling pocket 2) step up and 3) keep eyes downfield. The QBs appeared to do a nice job in this drill, although on one occasion Kyle lost the ball.

II. INDIVIDUAL OL V. DL ONE ON ONE'S

We have done this in the past and its been useful as it provides a nice indication of the strengths and weaknesses of each player by focusing everyone on them. I'm not going to summarize the drills because there were many players involved and many different matchups, so I will just list below my verbatim notes on each play that I observed:

1. Hamilton abused by Fields.
2. McBean initially got past Kuper, but he recovered and adjusted position well to wall off defender.
3. Harris stoned Reid.
4. Polumbus got hands on defender (couldn't tell who it was) early and stopped the rush.
5. Doom attempted a bullrush with limited success (couldn't tell who the OL was).
6. Marcus powered his way by McChesney.
7. Powell was effectively tied up with Lichtensteiger. Powell appears to get too engaged with the OL rather than trying to get past him.
8. Askew flat out beat 61 (M. Erickson).
9. Gorin with a clear hold on Crowder.
10. Gorin rebounded against R. Davis, but Davis had a nice spin move, nonetheless.
11. Pat Murray (72) got completely pushed back into the pocket by J'Vonne Parker.
12. McChesney held up well against Chris Baker. Did not give up much ground.
13. Clady kept Crowder from getting around him, but it wasn't a clean win. He did give a little bit of ground.
14. Fields destroyed Hamilton again (Note: This reflects Ben's historical problems with larger DTs).
15. McBean was able to get some push against Kuper.
16. Elvis got around Harris.

III. LIVE KICK RETURNS

They utilized McKinley, Smith and Royal. Royal should great speed and moves. He's a natural in finding seams. The best return of the afternoon was by McKinley, however.

IV. 7 on 7's

They are utilizing Royal alot on shallow crosses. Lamont Jordan did little to help himself in this drill by fumbling. Putzier also dropped a pass. Royal had a great catch in the back of the endzone. Generally, I thought the QB's in this period of practice were hesitant and held onto the ball too long. This was common for all of them. Scheffler made a really nice impact in this portion of practice, hauling in several balls. There was only a single play in the segment were there was clear miscommunication (Orton threw a pass with no one in the area).

V. 11 on 11s

They did alot of mixing and matching using players from different strings (1st, 2nd, 3rd) playing together. Nate Swift continues to make a case. He bobbled a ball but had the concentration to hold onto it. This isn't a bad kid. He might stick on the practice squad at least. McKinley also had a sweet grab in traffic. Lamont Jordan was hurt in this portion and was helped off the field. We weren't completely sure what happened, but it appeared that he may have fell on the ball. Woodyard returned to this practice, although he had a difficult time covering Buckhalter on short routes (as did all the LBs).

Stokley also made a return in the evening and made a number of catches on rollout plays. He did have one notable drop, however. There was still no sign of Marshall out there. We observed that the rookie OL Olsen was getting some time with the 1's, which was impressive, although as noted above, they were doing a good deal of mixing and matching. I have to say that Buckhalter continues to impress. He does a great job accelerating to the outside. In addition, he is effective on taking draws from the shotgun. He can read the open gaps well on those draws and find a crease. Scheffler continued his strong practice in this period, with a sliding catch on a Simms pass.

When the 11 on 11 period shifted to 1st O vs. 1st Nickel D, we observed that Doom beat Harris cleanly. Someone commented in response to my morning report re: whether Barrett was used as a LB in the nickel and I tried to focus on that this evening. I did see him lined up in what essentially looked like a LB stance, however, often times when the SS is supposed to cover the TE, it does have a tendency to look that way.

24champ made a very interesting observation re: Orton. He observed that Orton seemed to have this tendency, at least on one play in question, to leave the pocket, even without pressure. On that specific play, this resulted in him basically running into Darrell Reid, unnecessarily. Otherwise, Orton was fairly good. One thing we were surprised to see was Hillis get rocked. On one play McBean stopped him dead in his tracks. That happens about once in every blue moon. I know we've been ragging on McBean but he had a better practice this evening than any of the prior couple practices I've seen.

Our rookie CB Alphonso Smith again showed good closing ability coming very very close to a pick, but it got bobbled by him and then also McBath on the way to being an incompletion.

VI. KICKING GAME

They allowed Prater to kick about 7 field goals in game conditions. By our count, he missed 2. They also ran a fake FG with Colquitt (the holder) running for a first down.

Boss Man
08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
thanks folk. did Ayers peek his mug out there anywhere?

SoDak Bronco
08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
SoCal, what are your thoughts on how the team is going to be? Better/Worse then you thought before coming to TC?

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
thanks folk. did Ayers peek his mug out there anywhere?

I think Doug said he was doing conditioning, although I didn't see him.

McDman
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Ayers was lifting weights as well as running a little.

Does anyone know when the first cuts take place? I have a feeling Jordan is gonna be on that list.

Man-Goblin
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Great job. Thanks!

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
SoCal, what are your thoughts on how the team is going to be? Better/Worse then you thought before coming to TC?

I don't really know. It is hard to determine how good or bad we are because we are practicing against each other. There have surely been positives out there and also several weaknesses, as anticipated. I still suspect we're going to have some relatively significant struggles, but I've learned to stay out of the "predict based on camp" business.

sutoazul
08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks!! great job guys!! Keep them comming... you guys are living the live we all want. Wish I could be there watching Broncos playing..eerrrr practicing. :))

HEAV
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Great Job Cal! So are you starting to turn?

Garcia Bronco
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Dude. we are going to be good and soon

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Dude. we are going to be good and soon

You would be happy to know that after practice, it was the WR's turn to sign autographs and EVERYONE was congregating around your Hokie Royal and chanting his name like he was a rock star.

Everyone loves Eddie. :)

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Was Olive Garden closed for dinner?

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Great Job Cal! So are you starting to turn?

Starting to turn? Not really. I still wish we had Jay and I still dislike Bowlen and McDaniels. Now, there have been some things that I have been encouraged by at camp. There has been some growth in some players that are important to our success and I enjoyed seeing that. There are still alot of things that I have grave doubts over (positions on the field and the team generally), but like most teams, we have some strengths and some flaws. Hopefully, when Ayers and Moreno get in there, they'll be able to help us out even more. I wouldn't say that I'm "turning" at all in terms of becoming a pro-new regime person. I'm still a "widow" (as Popps likes to call it) and I still don't like the guys at the top.

I am happy that we're making some progress at some of positions, though. I am trying to be as objective as possible.

underrated29
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
So my first TC. I got off work and headed up there as fast as i could. Got their at like 615 or 630 and i had no place to stand or sit. So this and nowhere near what the OM guys got, but atleast its something. Also i didnt have a numebrs list, so some of the players might be messed up. I had to go off memory.

I tried to concentrate on the qbs, rbs,wr, phonz,jmfw, crowder, and returners.

QBs- Didnt get to see them much. But i did see some good 11 on 11. Orton definitley is the starter. Simms is ok, but looks imo to be forcing things to much. Not really the passes just hasnt settled in.

Orton had some nice throws and nice reads. He had a few rainbow passes to the back of the endzone. I think he completed on or two. There was one right infront of me where the timing was perfect. The WR cut in towards the middle and Klye went to his second read and floated the ball to what looked like nowhere. Then the WR came out of his cut and just missed the ball. Had it been someone taller like marshall an easy 6 pts. I didnt see the WR he just missed it.

Orton does have nice touch on the ball. No bullets like Jay though. There was one play where he threw across his body and across the field. I thought pick 6 as soon as i saw it, but some Scheff made the grab. In real life against a #1 or #2 CB that would have been picked. Simms had an almost identical play and his was deflected and almost picked too.

Other than that the Qbs did well, had some nice converts on tds in the redzone and if not got the ball within 2 yards of the goaline. (clean up duty for hillis).

RB- I think we all know i like Jordan, and dont like Buckhalter. UNfortunately for me the opposite is true. Bucky is a lot slimmer than i thought, but he outplayed everyone. (there was only lamont, hillis, buck and walker <- i think). Anyways bucky was in the starting formation most of the time. He ran hard and cut quick. All the reports said he had speed to the outside, but today he was up the guy a lot. did pretty well. Jordan had one or two run plays i saw. He looked really slow. I have a bad feeling he wont make the cut. He certainly has the power and he bulldozed into the endzone. But he wasnt not impressive-sadly. Then he got hurt or the wind knocked out of him and that was it.

Bucky had one play where the DL guy ate up the play and buck made a spin cut in the backfield and then turned it into positive yardage. In real game that would have been huge. Very nice move. He also had a few catches in the flat and one sidline tip toe for about 7 yards. Not too impressive there though. the D was quick.

Hillis was in a lot of plays, but i didnt get to see him run much from my view. I did see mario hagen drop him once though. Hillis was lined up all over the place. he is a major weapon in our O.

JMFW- did good, not great he is still leading phonz in the depth chart it looks like. I dont konw how though. Not that jmfw sucks, but phonz looks real good.more on him in a sec. Jack is nimble, jack is quick, but jack will get smashed by the big guys quick. A TE- or someone broke through and would have plowed him 4 ft under had it been live. I like him, but he is a liability in support.

Phonz- reports are true about his kid. He is legit! Stalky, fast and smart. One play in particular i focused only on him. He was guarding a WR/TE right at the goalline and baited the QB into throwing the ball. Sure enough almost got the pick, instead he broke it up. He will get the pick with more experience. Other plays he was in good coverage and did well. Once or twice he got beat. But for a rookie, i am impressed. And its hard to impress me when i am evaluating talent. I think he did end up with a pick or two. He did bat some balls down if he didnt make the catch. Remember i had a horrible view all night.

Royal- is a pimp, looked good- What can i say he caught most things, made some good routes in the redzone and did a nice job returning kicks. Another place where Phonz looked really good, returning kicks. Royal is a super stud.

Crowder- He caught me eye a bunch of times. Blitzed the QB for a lights out sack. Of course they let the play keep going but simms i think would have been destroyed. Crowder also did well working solo against the line to get the the pretend QB. He is definitely going to be in the mix for us.

The rest of the DL- i was unimpressed, a few good plays here and there by peterson and fields, but people are right our DL sucks. Kuper and someone-i think rulan davis got into a little pissing match- nothing major though.

The rookie WRs and young guys- I did like Chad jackson he imo is worth hanging on to. not great but could be polished into something nice. Nate swift is ok. Someone really likes him, but i was just whatever with him. He did stay late though to practice returning kicks. I like that extra effort.

There is one guy Cj jones. Like the name, but he is toast. As if we didnt already know that. I did not like how he ran, or cought the ball. I especially did not like his feet on fielding punts from the jugs machine. He stayed after to work on things, and thats where i saw him, but his footwork on fielding the punts was poor. He did this little stutter step thing- its not going to work.

David burton was out there too, he is bigger than i thought.

Oh- they had Barrett at LB a fair amount. At first i was like who the hell is this guy. But he did alrght. He is big enough and fast enough to play there- might be a nice wrinkle for the defense to get big and fast on the field at the same time, while still keeping smart Safties back.

The Defense i noticed did little Bump or press coverage. Woodyard did one one play but then got beat. He almost recovered to make the diving tackle but whiffed. However WW didnt look to hampered with the knee brace thing.

Thats all for me. Tomorrow i will try to go and get a better spot.

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Very good job SoCal and Underrated as well... Thank you to all of you for today's reports!

McDman
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Good job guys.

When are the first rounds of cuts? Also do we scrimmage someone this year like we did Dallas?

Slade
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree with OSKIE...great work. I will be at camp at the end of next week, but know I can not do as good of a job as you guys.

Los Broncos
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the report, good work.

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
EVENING PRACTICE - Monday August 3

*** BroncoDoug arrived first this evening and saw Robert Ayers on the turf filed, taking what appeared to be his conditioning test. The test ended before SoCal montrose and I arrived, so we had our eyes peeled for any sight of him, but alas he did not appear. One practice tomorrow, 2:30 pm Mountain time ... that will probably be our first look at Ayers. I'll definitley get some pics, and we'll watch him closely.

Returning to the field tonight after taking the morning off were Brandon Stokley, Wesley Woodyard, Brian Dawkins and Correll Buckhalter. Missing were Daniel Graham, Ryan Torain and Casey Weigmann.

BULLET POINTS

Top personnel news was that, with Weigmann out of the evening session, rookie Seth Olsen was elevated to first team O-line. Hamilton moved over to center and Olsen slotted in at LG. They didn't rotate anybody else in, Olsen was it. He looks like a pillar of granite there, a very big kid. I'm not sure Hamilton has to worry just yet, but they do like the young Hawkeye.

1 on 1 full contact O-line vs. D-line

Carlton Powell continued to impress, as he swim-moved past Lichtensteiger, ripping Kory's helmet off as he went by.
Matthias Askew also continued to look good, he spun past Blake Schleuter with no problem
Tyler Polumbus stoned Elvis Dumervil cleanly
Matt McChesney stopped Chris Baker
Clint Oldenberg failry stopped Darrell Reid
Ryan McBean actually beat Chris Kuper
Moments later, Rulon Davis also went passed Kuper, prompting a heated shoving match between them. Ryan Clady stepped in and calmly separated the two, which was a sight to see. Clady basically grabbed each one by their helmets and spread his arms to separate them.
Elvis Dumervil took a wide berth, leaving Ryan Harris behind - ruled a sack
Rulon Davis also swung wide and beat Tyler Polumbus
Kory Lichtensteiger bulled Ryan McBean away from the ball

In kickoff drills, Royal coninued to shine, he appears to take KO returns very seriously. Kenny McKinley's speed is not remarkable, but he makes good cuts and accelerates quickly toward seams in the wedge. Alphonso Smith had an impressive burst through a seam as well.

Los Broncos
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks Buff, Clady is so strong, that must of been something to see!

underrated29
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
nevermind- only that one afternoon practice. Got to work. Not that my reports are up to par set here. But another set of eyes and input is always good.

Please boys. Keep up the good reporting. I will be patiently waiting to read some good stuff when i get home from work.

If all possible please give ayers a little extra eye. I really want to know how he looks.

Thanks gents.

24champ
08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5001.jpg

McPoopypants laughing.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5003.jpg

Oskie drill.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5004.jpg

1-1 lineman drills.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5005.jpg
1-1 lineman drills

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5006.jpg
Yeah...pretty tough getting around Clady

Los Broncos
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Is it Cladys feet that makes him so hard to get around?

24champ
08-03-2009, 09:18 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5007.jpg

Mckinley just before a pass to him.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5008.jpg

Chad Jackson before a lob thrown to him.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5009.jpg

Doom was acknowledging Montrose.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5010.jpg

Gaffney after the catch.

Natedogg
08-03-2009, 09:26 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp5001.jpg

[This caption censored by the Broncos Press Office]

:)

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 09:34 PM
EVENING PRACTICE, Part 2

FULL SPEED 7-on-7

Chris Simms completed a flat pass to Lamont Jordan, and just as he turned upfield, DJ Williams stripped the ball and Brian Dawkins recovered the fumble. Not surprisingly, Dawkins has a real presence about him. He looks younger than his years, and seems to command respect and attention. Champ Bailey and Renaldo Hill have developed a good rapport, I saw them talking and joking several times.

Richard Quinn caught a Chris Simms pass, and laid a nice spin move on Mario Haggan. Alphonso Smith is impressive - he's running 1st team nickel set - but he dropped an easy pick that he could've returned a good distance. Kyle Orton and Simms to a lesser extent spent far too long in the pocket, taking a bit too much advantage of the no-hitting-the-QB rule.

Biggest cheers of the night came when Eddie Royal hauled in a nice Chris Simms pass over his shoulder for a touchdown. Eddie and Peyton Hillis are clearly the top fans favorites. When Eddie went over to the rope to sign autographs after practice (with all the WRs), the crowd funneled over and nearly stampeded him.

11-on-11 FULL CONTACT

Darius Walker picked up a blitz nicely, he was more impressive than Lamont Jordan, at least today. Tom Brandstater threaded the needle to Darius Walker twice for touchdowns, and zipped a rope to Marquez Branson for another score. Tom saved the best for last, finding Kenny McKinley crossing through the back of the end zone for a gorgeous touchdown ... after which McKinley gave a shimmy-shake that would make Deion Sanders proud.

The 11-on-11 moved to the 20 yard line for Red Zone drills. A sharp throw from Kyle Orton to Brandon Stokley, who had beaten Vernon Fox badly, resulted in a score.

Matt McChesney jumped up for a false start, to which he immediately spun round and took off onhis penalty lap. So clear are the coaches on this one that Matt didn't wait to be told.

A Kyle Orton pass to the goalline was either a) dropped by Jeb Putzier or b) knocked down by Andra Davis. Opinions were divided ... insert your own joke here ;D

A WR screen from Orton to Jabar Gaffney really took off when Darrell Reid became "lost in space" as Gaffney sped past. And this is exactly what I worrry about with these jumbo OLBs, misdirection, reverses and screens could really victimize these guy, at least Reid and Dumervil ... Crowder seemed more comfortable in the flats.

Next the 11-on-11 moved to the 50 yard line:

Elvis Dumervil beat Ryan Harris to sack Orton (although no hit QB rule)
Stokley yanked a pass cleanly away from Andre Goodman for a nice gain, but on the very next play dropped an easy catch
Matthia Askew flew past Brandon Gorin to sack Chris Simms. Watch for Askew to make a real contribution this year on a lackluster D-line unit.
Mario Haggan leaped high to knock a pass away from Brandon Lloyd.
MOST DISAPPOINTING TODAY: Lamont Jordan, Andre Goodman, Blake Schleuter

MOST IMPRESSIVE TODAY: Peyton Hillis, Eddie Royal, D.J. Williams, Seth Olsen, Mathias Askew

FINAL POINT: If you voted Ryan Clady as "Best Bronco" in the recent poll, then congratulations, you are the winner! ^5

lex
08-03-2009, 09:39 PM
EVENING PRACTICE, Part 2

FULL SPEED 7-on-7

Chris Simms completed a flat pass to Lamont Jordan, and just as he turned upfield, DJ Williams stripped the ball and Brian Dawkins recovered the fumble. Not surprisingly, Brian Dawkins has a real presence about him. He looks younger than his years, and he seems to command respect and attention. Champ Bailey and Renaldo Hill have developed a good rapport, I saw them talking and joking several times.

Richard Quinn caught a Chris Simms pass, and laid a nice spin move on Mario Haggan. Alphonso Smith is impressive - he's running 1st team nickel set - but he dropped an easy pick that he could've returned a good distance. Kyle Orton and Simms to a lesser extent spent far too long in the pocket, taking a bit too much advantage of the no-hitting-the-QB rule.

Biggest cheers of the night came when Eddie Royal hauled in a nice Chris Simms pass over his shoulder for a touchdown. Eddie and Peyton Hillis are clearly the top fans favorites. When Eddie went over to the rope to sign autographs after practice (with all the WRs), the crowd funneled over and nearly stampeded him.

11-on-11 FULL CONTACT

Darius Walker picked up a blitz nicely, he seems slightly more impressive than Lamont Jordan, at least today. Tom Brandstater threaded the needle to Darius Walker twice for touchdowns, and zipped a rope to Marquez Branson for another score. Tom saved the best for last, finding Kenny McKinley crossing through the back of the end zone for a gorgeous touchdown ... after which McKinley gave a shimmy-shake that would make Deion Sanders proud.

The 11-on-11 morphed into 11-on-11 Red Zone drills. A sharp throw from Kyle Orton to Brandon Stokley, who had beaten Vernon Fox badly, resulted in a score.

Matt McChesney jumped up for a false start, to which he immediately spun round and took off onhis penalty lap. So clear are the coaches on this one that Matt didn't wait to be told.

A Kyle Orton pass to the goalline was either a) dropped by Jeb Putzier or b) knocked down by Andra Davis. Opinions were divided ... insert your own joke here ;D

A WR screen from Orton to Jabar Gaffney really took off when Darrell Reid became "lost in space" as Gaffney sped past. And this is exactly the worry I have about these jumbo OLBs. Misdirection, reverses and screens could really victimize these guy, at least Redi and Dumervil ... Crowder seemed more comfortable in the flats.

Next the 11-on-11 moved to the 50 yard line:

Elvis Dumervil beat Ryan Harris to sack Orton (although no hit QB rule)
Stokley yanked a pass cleanly away from Andre Goodman for a nice gain, but on the very next play dropped an easy catch
Matthia Askew flew past Brandon Gorin to sack Chris Simms. Watch for Askew to make a real contribution this year on a lackluster D-line unit.
Mario Haggan leaped high to knock a pass away from Brandon Lloyd.

MOST DISAPPOINTING TODAY: Lamont Jordan, Andre Goodman, Blake Schleuter

MOST IMPRESSIVE TODAY: Peyton Hillis, Eddie Royal, D.J. Williams, Seth Olsen, Mathias Askew

FINAL POINT: If you voted Ryan Clady as "Best Bronco" in the recent poll, then congratulations, you are the winner! ^5

What was impressive about Olsen?

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 09:47 PM
What was impressive about Olsen?
With Casey Weigmann out of the evening practice, Hamilton moved to center and Olsen was inserted as LG. And he stayed there all night with the first team.

In contrast, Brian Dawkins' absence this morning resulted in numerous guys running out to get some reps with the first team, Bruton, Barrett, McBath and Fox.

Quite honsetly I didn't watch Olsen too closely from scrimmage, but had there been a problem, it probably would've been noted.

lex
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
With Casey Weigmann out of the evening practice, Hamilton moved to center and Olsen was inserted as LG. And he stayed there all night with the first team.

In contrast, Brian Dawkins' absence this morning resulted in numerous guys running out to get some reps with the first team, Bruton, Barrett, McBath and Fox.

Quite honsetly I didn't watch Olsen too closely from scrimmage, but had there been a problem, it probably would've been noted.

Interesting.

outdoor_miner
08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
MOST DISAPPOINTING TODAY: Andre Goodman

Really? I hardly ever see him mentioned. What was wrong?

PS - Thank you (and everyone else) for the awesome reports!

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Everyone loves Eddie. :)
Speaking of love, I'd like to publicly thank SoCal, montrose and Bronco Doug for omitting from their coverage an embarrasing comment I made about Wesley Woodyard. Over the past month, my man crush has shifted from Jay to Wesley, especialy after seeing himswim withthe Dolphins. I can only pick one between Jay and Wesley (I'm a one-man man), and I made the move to Wesley a few short weeks ago.

Sorry Jay :(

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Really? I hardly ever see him mentioned. What was wrong?

PS - Thank you (and everyone else) for the awesome reports!
Goodman dropped one pick and had another snatched out of his hands by Brandon Stokley. Much of Stokley's excellent perfomrmance tonight came at Goodman's expense.

But please note that that these lists were culled from just these two practices ... tomorrow Jordan and Goodman could blowup.

footstepsfrom#27
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Buff is Chris Baker getting any reps in the DL?

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I think Doug said he was doing conditioning, although I didn't see him.

Yeah, Ayers was running his conditioning drill with Tuten when I walked in. Ayers looks ripped!!! but wasnt running all that fast, more like a quick jog, so not sure what part of the test it was. But he wasn't out there at the afternoon practice, so I'm not sure if he passed or not. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Buff is Chris Baker getting any reps in the DL?

Nothing really of note. He didn't do super hot in the 1 on 1 drills earlier. I hope he steps it up and makes the team, we could use his BIG body there in the middle for at least a little depth...

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Speaking of love, I'd like to publicly thank SoCal, montrose and Bronco Doug for omitting from their coverage an embarrasing comment I made about Wesley Woodyard. Over the past month, my man crush has shifted from Jay to Wesley, especialy after seeing himswim withthe Dolphins. I can only pick one between Jay and Wesley (I'm a one-man man), and I made the move to Wesley a few short weeks ago.

Hahahaha! Your man crush does run a little deep there Buff :thumbsup:

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Starting to turn? Not really. I still wish we had Jay and I still dislike Bowlen and McDaniels. Now, there have been some things that I have been encouraged by at camp. There has been some growth in some players that are important to our success and I enjoyed seeing that. There are still alot of things that I have grave doubts over (positions on the field and the team generally), but like most teams, we have some strengths and some flaws. Hopefully, when Ayers and Moreno get in there, they'll be able to help us out even more. I wouldn't say that I'm "turning" at all in terms of becoming a pro-new regime person. I'm still a "widow" (as Popps likes to call it) and I still don't like the guys at the top.

I am happy that we're making some progress at some of positions, though. I am trying to be as objective as possible.

We all know your feelings about McD related to Cutler, but how do you feel he's handling camp as a football coach?

BroncoDoug
08-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Is it Cladys feet that makes him so hard to get around?

Its everything about him, He is so much bigger then everyone else on the team it doesn't seem fair. His lateral quickness for such a big guy is amazing. And his first punch move is a great equalizer against smaller, quicker defenders. It just knocks them back and stuns them for a split second. Which in the league that is all you really need to get leverage, and open up holes.

montrose
08-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Was meaning to post this earlier, "The Official If Montrose we're Josh McDaniels Updated Depth Chart":

Offense
QB: Orton, Simms, Brandstater
RB: [Moreno], Buckhalter, Torain, Jordan, Walker
FB: Hillis, Larsen
WR: [Marshall], Gaffney, Swift, Jackson, Willis,
WR: Royal, Stokley, McKinley, Lloyd, Shelton, Jones
TE: Graham, Scheffler, Quinn, Putzier, Branson
LT: Clady, Polumbus, Bryant
LG: Hamilton, Olsen, Erickson
C: Wiegmann, Lichtensteiger, Schlueter
RG: Kuper, Murray
RT: Harris, Oldenburg, Gorin

Defense
DE: Powell, Parker, Clemons, Askew, Davis
DE: Thomas, Peterson, Pedescleaux, McBean
NT: Fields, Baker
OLB: Crowder, Dumervil
OLB: Reid, [Ayers]
ILB: Williams, Woodyard
ILB: Larsen, Davis, Robinson, Haggan
CB: Smith, Goodman, Carter, Johnson
CB: Bailey, Williams, Bell, Moulton
S: Hill, McBath, Fox
S: Dawkins, Barrett, Bruton

Nickel Defense (Honestly, as or more important than base defense)
DE: Dumervil
DE: Ayers
DT: Reid
DT: Fields
LB: Williams
LB: Woodyard
CB: Smith
CB: Bailey
CB: Goodman
S: Hill
S: McBath

Special Teams
K: Prater
P: Kern, Colquitt
KR: McKinley, Smith
PR: Smith, Royal
DS: Paxton, Scheffler

Fan In Exile
08-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Was meaning to post this earlier, "The Official If Montrose we're Josh McDaniels Updated Depth Chart":

Offense
QB: Orton, Simms, Brandstater
RB: [Moreno], Buckhalter, Torain, Jordan, Walker
FB: Hillis, Larsen
WR: [Marshall], Gaffney, Swift, Jackson, Willis,
WR: Royal, Stokley, McKinley, Lloyd, Shelton, Jones
TE: Graham, Scheffler, Quinn, Putzier, Branson
LT: Clady, Polumbus, Bryant
LG: Hamilton, Olsen, Erickson
C: Wiegmann, Lichtensteiger, Schlueter
RG: Kuper, Murray
RT: Harris, Oldenburg, Gorin

Defense
DE: Powell, Parker, Clemons, Askew, Davis
DE: Thomas, Peterson, Pedescleaux, McBean
NT: Fields, Baker
OLB: Crowder, Dumervil
OLB: Reid, [Ayers]
ILB: Williams, Woodyard
ILB: Larsen, Davis, Robinson, Haggan
CB: Smith, Goodman, Carter, Johnson
CB: Bailey, Williams, Bell, Moulton
S: Hill, McBath, Fox
S: Dawkins, Barrett, Bruton

Nickel Defense (Honestly, as or more important than base defense)
DE: Dumervil
DE: Ayers
DT: Reid
DT: Fields
LB: Williams
LB: Woodyard
CB: Smith
CB: Bailey
CB: Goodman
S: Hill
S: McBath

Special Teams
K: Prater
P: Kern, Colquitt
KR: McKinley, Smith
PR: Smith, Royal
DS: Paxton, Scheffler

Great post, but one question. Why Reid at DT in the nickle, I would have thought from the good things that I've heard that Thomas would be there.

kent156
08-04-2009, 05:21 AM
so are the broncos playing the first team dline against the second string oline, i think that would say a lot about how mcbean and peterson are really doing?

_Oro_
08-04-2009, 05:52 AM

Finally the Jay Cutler saga is over.

BMarsh615
08-04-2009, 05:55 AM
I keep hearing how athletic Crowder is in these camp reports, but when he is pass rushing is he getting by anyone on our first team OL?

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Great post, but one question. Why Reid at DT in the nickle, I would have thought from the good things that I've heard that Thomas would be there.

I think you're probably right, but it would most likely be MT in for Fields. I could also see Ayers sliding inside and Crowder playing the edge, making the nickel front look like Crowder, Thomas, Ayers, and Doom. That's a pretty good pass rushing combo right there. I don't think you'd see it unless they were in a 3rd and long type of situation and then I'd be weary of the screen.

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 06:11 AM
I keep hearing how athletic Crowder is in these camp reports, but when he is pass rushing is he getting by anyone on our first team OL?

Yes. He has had some success. He's also been stood up at the line a few times. Dude is the real deal. Not special yet, but he's on his way.

BMarsh615
08-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Yes. He has had some success. He's also been stood up at the line a few times. Dude is the real deal. Not special yet, but he's on his way.

Good to hear. :strong:

montrose
08-04-2009, 06:31 AM

Reid is a natural DT from Indy and has had some success rushing from a 3-point stance at camp. Thomas isn't and has never been a pass rusher. In the nickel, I'm a fan of getting your 3 best pass rushers along with a guy to push the pocket. I'd also be okay with Peterson in that role based on some of his success rushing the passer as a DT last season.

so are the broncos playing the first team dline against the second string oline, i think that would say a lot about how mcbean and peterson are really doing?

They've been interchanging players all over the place but when they go to 11 on 11 it's been 1s vs. 1s. I mentioned to the guys yesterday we may be unfairly harsh on McBean seeing he's been up almost exclusivly against Clady, Harris and Graham. He looked good in one on one's yesterday, although that drill usually favors defense.

He's been doing a good job. Is he winning more battles than losing against Clady and Harris? No. But he is making them work and bringing good heat on the QB. He could be a practice player, but I'm pretty optimistic.

I think you're probably right, but it would most likely be MT in for Fields. I could also see Ayers sliding inside and Crowder playing the edge, making the nickel front look like Crowder, Thomas, Ayers, and Doom. That's a pretty good pass rushing combo right there. I don't think you'd see it unless they were in a 3rd and long type of situation and then I'd be weary of the screen.

I could see them doing that too although I'd prefer Ayers on the edge to give Crowder some rest. You need at least one DT on the nickle four who can occupy blockers and push the pocket so that could be Fields, Thomas, Parker, Powell or even Baker.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks for these updates guys. Definitely the highlight of my day.

kent156
08-04-2009, 06:51 AM

They've been interchanging players all over the place but when they go to 11 on 11 it's been 1s vs. 1s. I mentioned to the guys yesterday we may be unfairly harsh on McBean seeing he's been up almost exclusivly against Clady, Harris and Graham. He looked good in one on one's yesterday, although that drill usually favors defense.

it would be nice to see what thomas and powell can do again the first team oline 11 on 11 i think that can say something about how everyone is doing

Man-Goblin
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Great stuff. Buff said D.J. had a great day. I've heard a lot of people predict that he would get eaten up inside considering the shakiness of the DL.

I assume he's not having any issues operating in space, but how's he doing at fighting off blocks?

fido
08-04-2009, 07:40 AM
great reading guys, and thanks again for all the work !!

SoDak Bronco
08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Would you say our CB's are much improved over last year? Is goodmen, Phonz, JMFW 2nd year, Bell, and Champ an upgrade from Dre, Foxworth, Paymah, JMFW, and Champ?

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Would you say our CB's are much improved over last year? Is goodmen, Phonz, JMFW 2nd year, Bell, and Champ an upgrade from Dre, Foxworth, Paymah, JMFW, and Champ?

I would say our entire secondary is upgraded. Champ and Bly were a good combo but they had no support from the safeties. This year, those guys are able to rely on their top help and can trust their safeties. They worked on drills for that specifically the other day in practice. Our CBs were trying to cover guys out of the break and the coaches were teaching them how to give them proper cushion, and how to pass off to the top/over coverage/help.

Chris
08-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks. How are Mcbath and Bruton looking so far?

SoDak Bronco
08-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah that is good to hear. I knew the Safeties had to be an improvement, and as a whole will make the cb's better. Glad to hear. Would you say that Alphonso has looked like a step up from D Fox and Paymah?

SoCalBronco
08-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Great stuff. Buff said D.J. had a great day. I've heard a lot of people predict that he would get eaten up inside considering the shakiness of the DL.

I assume he's not having any issues operating in space, but how's he doing at fighting off blocks?

He still has some problems when the DL doesn't keep the guards off of him. He needs the DL to do its job. DJ is at his best in space where he can just run to the ball carrier from the backside and when he drops into zone. When he has had to fight through the wash so far he has been less effective. He had a very good day yesterday, but its going to be a transition with one fewer DL on the line to keep blockers off him. This role at WILB is not as good for him as the 4-3 WLB role, but it is the closest to it we can get in this defense.

It will be a transition over time. His success is largely dependent on Fields and the other lineman, though. I was happy to see him make a good impression yesterday, though, after he had been quiet on Sunday.

lex
08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
He still has some problems when the DL doesn't keep the guards off of him. He needs the DL to do its job. DJ is at his best in space where he can just run to the ball carrier from the backside and when he drops into zone. When he has had to fight through the wash so far he has been less effective. He had a very good day yesterday, but its going to be a transition with one fewer DL on the line to keep blockers off him. This role at WILB is not as good for him as the 4-3 WLB role, but it is the closest to it we can get in this defense.

It will be a transition over time. His success is largely dependent on Fields and the other lineman, though. I was happy to see him make a good impression yesterday, though, after he had been quiet on Sunday.

SoCal, I know youre a big advocate of DJ. In the long run, do you really see WILB as being a spot that Denver wont want to upgrade? As you said, he's not really going to have as much space as he did in the 4-3.

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Bruton looks the part. He is big and fast. Similar to Josh Barrett. I don't think he's going to see the field a whole lot on defense, but I've already seen him prove his worth on STs. He'll be a player for us b/c of his ST knack.

McBath I haven't seen a whole lot out of. He's played a good bit with the first team D, so right now he looks like he is probably the 3rd safety behind Dawkins and Hill. I'll try to focus on him more today.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Bruton looks the part. He is big and fast. Similar to Josh Barrett. I don't think he's going to see the field a whole lot on defense, but I've already seen him prove his worth on STs. He'll be a player for us b/c of his ST knack.

McBath I haven't seen a whole lot out of. He's played a good bit with the first team D, so right now he looks like he is probably the 3rd safety behind Dawkins and Hill. I'll try to focus on him more today.

Have you seen anything from Carlton Powell that gives you optomism?

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Yeah that is good to hear. I knew the Safeties had to be an improvement, and as a whole will make the cb's better. Glad to hear. Would you say that Alphonso has looked like a step up from D Fox and Paymah?

Alphonso is going to make a lot of people smile. His instincts are better than anybody in the secondary. If he had Champ's size and athleticism he'd be scary. The only thing that could possibly hold this kid back is size or injury. I don't think the size will prevent him from being a player though. Trust me, people will be happy with him and I think he might be Montrose's brother b/c man does Raj love that kid!!! Easy to see why and he's influenced me to watch him more and see for myself.

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Have you seen anything from Carlton Powell that gives you optomism?

I personally have not. I watched him very little though. I'm still learning the 3-4 defense myself so I can't tell you for sure whether the 3-4 DL are doing good/great or average. If the objective is to run into the OL and force them into a double team then yeah, he's doing his job. But he's not doing much to impact the play otherwise.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I personally have not. I watched him very little though. I'm still learning the 3-4 defense myself so I can't tell you for sure whether the 3-4 DL are doing good/great or average. If the objective is to run into the OL and force them into a double team then yeah, he's doing his job. But he's not doing much to impact the play otherwise.

I would guess if he's forcing a double team and creating an alley for the LB to make a play then he's doing his job.

But, I'm not an expert on the 3-4 either.

SoCalBronco
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM
SoCal, I know youre a big advocate of DJ. In the long run, do you really see WILB as being a spot that Denver wont want to upgrade? As you said, he's not really going to have as much space as he did in the 4-3.

I think the team realizes that its ILBs are dependent on the play of its DL. They will first evaluate the efficacy of their DL this year. If there are upgrades to be made, it will be there, because that's the fulcrum of the whole front, esp at NT. I think that they are happy with their WILBs in Williams and Woodyard, despite Williams's problems in working through the trash and Woodyard's weight problem (McD prefers larger players as you know, and Woodyard kind of resembles a stick figure out there....I think the team has him down to 222 on their site). But they definitely value both, especially in pass defense, as both are the starting nickel LBs. Woodyard has done a nice job in that area. I think from OSKIE's report from the first day of practice, Coach Martindale had some very good things to say about DJ's athleticism. This is not a spot that I think they'll try to address, at least not in the next few years. Montrose has observed that they like to stay in the 3-4 on first down but on 2nd and long and ofcourse on 3rd down as well, they routinely shift into a 4-2-5, which is not disadvantageous to these two guys.
Overall, I don't think this is an area they will be looking to change in the next few years.

Funny story from yesterday: There was a play where right before the snap DJ called a timeout and Nolan said good timeout DJ as apparently they were in a formation that was not advantageous to the defense. The guys gave me some **** about it, saying "props to your boy, SoCal, that was a beautiful time out, the T was perfectly perpendicular". We joked that if Woodyard had called the timeout the T would have been undersized or in lower case.

:~ohyah!:

Broncoman13
08-04-2009, 08:57 AM

Lex, I know you asked SoCal the question but I think its going to take some time before they know whether or not they need to upgrade the position. Nolan touched on it yesterday in that all of these guys are learning. A year from now they will be much further a long. There is something to consider here right now and that's the constant turnover in both philosophy and personnel since DJ's arrival. The Broncos are committed to McD and Nolan for a long time. Nolan isn't going to get another HC position anytime soon (unless this defense turns into a top 10 unit overnight... he'll be here a while ;D) so he'll have an opportunity to gain some consistency. I think the focus next year will be on the DL. Perhaps another CB as well. We are sitting pretty in the secondary overall and with Crowder stepping up, we are deeper at LB than expected. DJ is far from the weakest link, if anything it would be Andra Davis that is upgraded.

BroncoBuff
08-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Finally the Jay Cutler saga is over.

Don't count out SoCalBronco ... there's still alotta love there.

BroncoDoug
08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

DJ did call a Time Out really good according to McD, his hands formed a perfect T and were at a perfect 90degree angle...

BroncoBuff
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM

Haven't focused in on McBath much, no dramatic plays from Darcel. SoCal and Khan would have better insight there.

David Bruton is a very smart player. His special teams coverage is evidence of that ... he is very observant and intent on cutting off a wild swing by the returner that might end up in a long run. In the morning practice he dd get a few reps in the base package, rotating in the spot left open when Dawkins took the morning session, and looked confident in the nickel and dimes package too. If I'm not mistaken, he and Barrett ran with the first team "Big Nickel" (that term has survived from Coyer's time here), and that's encouraging for Bruton fans, as that position was not a fill-in for Dawkins.

Bruton was definitely more visible than McBath ... and SoCal's response to the earlier post asking about Darcel (SoCal is siting right here), is that he noticed him just once, reaching for the tipped int that Smith caused.he's

Cmac821
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for posting, keep up the good work. You guys are great for doing this.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM

A WR screen from Orton to Jabar Gaffney really took off when Darrell Reid became "lost in space" as Gaffney sped past. And this is exactly what I worrry about with these jumbo OLBs, misdirection, reverses and screens could really victimize these guy, at least Reid and Dumervil ... Crowder seemed more comfortable in the flats.

[/LIST]MOST DISAPPOINTING TODAY: Lamont Jordan, Andre Goodman, Blake Schleuter

Has Orton peaked?

Sounds like there are more and more Drops and passes batted away.

Even Motrose retracted his Orton = Brady, at least outside the huddle.

It is hard to tell not being there and keeping track based on multiple posts.

Sounds like this is a team built to execute, take what they can and hope the D makes a mistake. Again that statement is based on what I can comprehend on reports.

lex
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Lex, I know you asked SoCal the question but I think its going to take some time before they know whether or not they need to upgrade the position. Nolan touched on it yesterday in that all of these guys are learning. A year from now they will be much further a long. There is something to consider here right now and that's the constant turnover in both philosophy and personnel since DJ's arrival. The Broncos are committed to McD and Nolan for a long time. Nolan isn't going to get another HC position anytime soon (unless this defense turns into a top 10 unit overnight... he'll be here a while ;D) so he'll have an opportunity to gain some consistency. I think the focus next year will be on the DL. Perhaps another CB as well. We are sitting pretty in the secondary overall and with Crowder stepping up, we are deeper at LB than expected. DJ is far from the weakest link, if anything it would be Andra Davis that is upgraded.

Perhaps but after the top 10, how do we really know that there is a more viable option on the DL than Brace was this past draft? Boo Robinson has potential but Im really not sure if he would be rated higher than Brace. Also, Denver might be drafting at a spot where Brandon Spikes is available in the first.

Admittedly, theres a lot of time between now and then but such a premium is placed on NTs now that if youre not drafting in the top 5, you might be looking at someone like Brace.