PDA

View Full Version : Early boom and bust of TC

gyldenlove
08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I haven't been to TC myself, but this is the impression I have from reading reports. Hopefully the people who have been there can correct me where I go wrong.

Boom:

Peyton Hillis, seems to be taking advantage of Moreno not showing up and showing his talents.
Eddie Royal, kind of redundant, we knew he is good, but he has apparently been showing a lot of skills.
Ryan Clady, he hasn't been mentioned much, but the first team ends have not been mentioned at all so I figure he has done well.

Tim Crowder, it looks like the 2007 draft may not be a complete waste after all.
Josh Barrett, he may not be a starter, but he seems to be seeing some action with the number 1's and if he can put his very considerable athleticism to work he can be a stud.
JMFW, he is a TC stud, but he looks to be getting some time with the number 1s and could be getting some consideration as the nickel CB when Al Smith becomes a starter.

Busts:

Ryan Mcbean, now he does have some bad odds playing against the Ryans, but he has not gotten a single good comment.
Ron Fields, this is debatable, but I haven't heard a lot about him and more worryingly I have heard that the ILBs have been getting blocked some days.
David Bruton, seems like a special teamer with a Notre Dame work ethic.

Lamont Jordan, slow and doesn't seem to have an advantage despite knowing the system.
Chris Simms and Tom Brandstater, I have heard a lot of mixed things, mostly bad about these two. It seems like Orton is pretty safe.

s0phr0syne
08-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Regarding your assessment of David Bruton: WTF??

Yeah, just like Ryan Harris showed his "horrible" Notre Dame work ethic all TC last year, and then everyone jumped all over him after the first preseason game, and then BAM!, excellent 16 game starter.

Besides that throwaway attack at Bruton, I'd say your list reflects TC reports pretty well.

dreasher54
08-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the outlook.

tsiguy96
08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
id say jabar is having an excellent training camp by most reports..

Inkana7
08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Regarding your assessment of David Bruton: WTF??

Yeah, just like Ryan Harris showed his "horrible" Notre Dame work ethic all TC last year, and then everyone jumped all over him after the first preseason game, and then BAM!, excellent 16 game starter.

Besides that throwaway attack at Bruton, I'd say your list reflects TC reports pretty well.

A report yesterday said he was the laziest person on the team. Just sayin'.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2009, 06:52 PM

but other reports said he's been a demon on ST and a really smart player.

Also, i dont know why you'd throw Fields in with a "bust" catagory.

cousinal11
08-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I think OSKIE touched on this, but I don't think McDaniels knew how good Hillis was when he took the job. From all the TC reports I've read, I think he knows now what we knew all along. The man is not only a beast, but a very skilled football player that can create serious matchup problems for our opponents.

telluride
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I'd put Moss at the top of the bust list.

And Hillis is certainly atop the boom list.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I think OSKIE touched on this, but I don't think McDaniels knew how good Hillis was when he took the job. From all the TC reports I've read, I think he knows now what we knew all along. The man is not only a beast, but a very skilled football player that can create serious matchup problems for our opponents.

What made you think this? He always seemed high on hillis. All the hillis trade rumors were born from this board assuming hillis (simply because we had many) would be a back traded when NO was looking for running backs. McD never said a word about this, nor did this rumor ever come from a source outside this message board.

cousinal11
08-03-2009, 07:05 PM
What made you think this? He always seemed high on hillis. All the hillis trade rumors were born from this board assuming hillis (simply because we had many) would be a back traded when NO was looking for running backs. McD never said a word about this, nor did this rumor ever come from a source outside this message board.

You're right. I heard nothing from Mcdaniels to suggest he didn't like Hillis, but I recall hearing him speaking about Hillis not long after he took the job and came away thinking, "I don't think he knows how versatile and talented Peyton is."

gyldenlove
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
but other reports said he's been a demon on ST and a really smart player.

Also, i dont know why you'd throw Fields in with a "bust" catagory.

Foxworth was a really smart player, Bengals backup QB Fitz something is a really smart player, smarts are not enough to be a star. I don't want to diminish special teams, especially in light of our horrible special teams the last years, but being a gunner is not enough for me when you are a rookie trying to win a spot. Right now Bruton seems to be sitting behind Hill and Dawkins who will make the team, Barrett who will probably make the team, Mcbath who is almost a lock to make the team and Vernon Fox who is a long shot. Bruton needs to show that he has a future on defense or else he could end up with the short end of the stick.

I throw Fields in the bust category because the NT position is so important, it is not enough to merely be decent, you have to dominate more often than not and I don't think Fields has done that, in fact I don't think he has even been close. I hope I am wrong, maybe the people who have seen him in action can enlighten us here, but if he can't keep blockers off Davis and Williams we are in for another long season.

backup qb
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Isn't it a little early for boom or bust?

backup qb
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Sorry, I am still suffering from the post-Shanny/Cutler broncos hangover.

Hercules Rockefeller
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM

The report said nothing more than said person believed he was half-assing it during stretching.

oubronco
08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
How can it not be Moss as the biggest Bust

KevinJames
08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Disagree with Fields I am hearing he is looking pretty good out there. Haven't really heard much negative.

David Bruton is a rookie coming in who wasn't expected to anything but play special teams, and he is doing just that I don't see how hes a bust at where we picked him and what we picked him for.

Bigdawg26
08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
From what Im hearing David Burton is also getting in with the first team so how is he a bust????

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Foxworth was a really smart player, Bengals backup QB Fitz something is a really smart player, smarts are not enough to be a star. I don't want to diminish special teams, especially in light of our horrible special teams the last years, but being a gunner is not enough for me when you are a rookie trying to win a spot. Right now Bruton seems to be sitting behind Hill and Dawkins who will make the team, Barrett who will probably make the team, Mcbath who is almost a lock to make the team and Vernon Fox who is a long shot. Bruton needs to show that he has a future on defense or else he could end up with the short end of the stick.

I throw Fields in the bust category because the NT position is so important, it is not enough to merely be decent, you have to dominate more often than not and I don't think Fields has done that, in fact I don't think he has even been close. I hope I am wrong, maybe the people who have seen him in action can enlighten us here, but if he can't keep blockers off Davis and Williams we are in for another long season.

Even with your reasoning, the term bust is very strong. Jarvis moss is a bust, these guys are not

eddie mac
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Boom and bust after some of these guys have only been with the team a few weeks let alone all of them learning new systems on offense and defense???

Wise up.

The MVPlaya
08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
You guys realize... in a 3-4 defense... you don't necessarily need to be hearing about the front 3 in order for them to be doing good/decent right? A lot of their jobs is to take up blocks. Someone's not really going to write "_____ did a great job today in taking up Olineman." Unless it's gameday - I really doubt anyone but the coaches really focus on things like this.

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I haven't been to TC myself, but this is the impression I have from reading reports. Hopefully the people who have been there can correct me where I go wrong.

Boom:

Peyton Hillis, seems to be taking advantage of Moreno not showing up and showing his talents.
Eddie Royal, kind of redundant, we knew he is good, but he has apparently been showing a lot of skills.
Ryan Clady, he hasn't been mentioned much, but the first team ends have not been mentioned at all so I figure he has done well.

Tim Crowder, it looks like the 2007 draft may not be a complete waste after all.
Josh Barrett, he may not be a starter, but he seems to be seeing some action with the number 1's and if he can put his very considerable athleticism to work he can be a stud.
JMFW, he is a TC stud, but he looks to be getting some time with the number 1s and could be getting some consideration as the nickel CB when Al Smith becomes a starter.

Busts:

Ryan Mcbean, now he does have some bad odds playing against the Ryans, but he has not gotten a single good comment.
Ron Fields, this is debatable, but I haven't heard a lot about him and more worryingly I have heard that the ILBs have been getting blocked some days.
David Bruton, seems like a special teamer with a Notre Dame work ethic.

Lamont Jordan, slow and doesn't seem to have an advantage despite knowing the system.
Chris Simms and Tom Brandstater, I have heard a lot of mixed things, mostly bad about these two. It seems like Orton is pretty safe.

I haven't read thru this thread to see if SoCal, Montrose, Champ, Apa, Kaylore, or Buff have responded... but here's mine based on your players.

Not sure that Fields belongs on that list. He has been servicable, just not spectacular.

Jordan is playing about the same as Pittman was last year and he turned out to be alright.

Bruton doesn't belong on your list. The lazy comment was regarding his stretching. If that's the biggest knock anybody has on him then he's doing a bang up job. He has been putting on clinics in ST practice segments showing even the veterans how to break the double team as the gunner.

I'm not sure anybody has been consistently bad... save for some of the fodder guys. #35 and #12 come to mind. They are the kids I pointed out when my children asked which guys aren't going to make the team.

Its a good sign that nobody has been consistently shiaty.

One thing nobody has been talking about is the coaches. I can't tell you how impressed I've been with Coach Nunnely, Donatel (sp), and Martindale... and of course Nolan and McDaniels. I was a Shanahan fan and will root for him anywhere he goes, save for the AFC West... and even I can admit this change is good and the time was right. So add the Defenseive coaches to my list of Early Boom for TC.

Tombstone RJ
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Sounds like this McKinely kid might be a playa...

tsiguy96
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I haven't read thru this thread to see if SoCal, Montrose, Champ, Apa, Kaylore, or Buff have responded... but here's mine based on your players.

Not sure that Fields belongs on that list. He has been servicable, just not spectacular.

Jordan is playing about the same as Pittman was last year and he turned out to be alright.

Bruton doesn't belong on your list. The lazy comment was regarding his stretching. If that's the biggest knock anybody has on him then he's doing a bang up job. He has been putting on clinics in ST practice segments showing even the veterans how to break the double team as the gunner.

I'm not sure anybody has been consistently bad... save for some of the fodder guys. #35 and #12 come to mind. They are the kids I pointed out when my children asked which guys aren't going to make the team.

Its a good sign that nobody has been consistently shiaty.

One thing nobody has been talking about is the coaches. I can't tell you how impressed I've been with Coach Nunnely, Donatel (sp), and Martindale... and of course Nolan and McDaniels. I was a Shanahan fan and will root for him anywhere he goes, save for the AFC West... and even I can admit this change is good and the time was right. So add the Defenseive coaches to my list of Early Boom for TC.

what i fear about shanahan, and im pretty sure its true, is he is gonna go somewhere and kill it. playoffs/sb wins in the first few years, and i really think he will, because there is no doubt he is a mastermind of a coach, his opening drives are quite literally unstoppable. with a year off to focus on not THIS team, but making his gameplanning and systems better, he will be awesome. his time in denver DID run short and im glad hes gone, but he will come back strong somewhere, and the media will make it seem like denver was dumb for firing him, but i think he was truly out of success here.

Tombstone RJ
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
what i fear about shanahan, and im pretty sure its true, is he is gonna go somewhere and kill it. playoffs/sb wins in the first few years, and i really think he will, because there is no doubt he is a mastermind of a coach, his opening drives are quite literally unstoppable. with a year off to focus on not THIS team, but making his gameplanning and systems better, he will be awesome. his time in denver DID run short and im glad hes gone, but he will come back strong somewhere, and the media will make it seem like denver was dumb for firing him, but i think he was truly out of success here.

If he dumps Slowik then he might be a decent HC... someday.

montrose
08-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Off the top of my head,

Boom: Smith, Hillis, Gaffney, Crowder, Fields, Powell, Parker, Swift, McKinley
Bust: Simms, Jordan, Jackson, Moss, McBean