PDA

View Full Version : Why players hold out

Mediator12
08-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Article from the NFP and NFL Agent Jack Bechta. This is a good synopsis of why a lot of Rookies are not in Camp right now....

Before I became a full-time agent, I always had a very passionate opinion about holdouts by pro athletes. I couldnít imagine that a deal couldnít be reached and wondered why a player would want to miss one day or one month working for an NFL team. My first thoughts were always that the player and/or his agent were being greedy. And the media often explained the reason behind the holdout by reporting one side, usually the teamís.

Once I began representing higher-round draft choices in the early 1990s, I learned firsthand why players hold out: Theyíre usually not being treated fairly. Iím not saying itís always the teamís fault, but it often is.

You must understand that when a player is drafted by an NFL team, he has no other option but to negotiate only with that team. If he canít reach an agreement, he doesnít have the right to say, ďSorry, Mr. Jones, but I donít think youíre treating me fairly so Iím going to see if Mr. Snyder will give me a better deal.Ē As a result, teams know they have the leverage in their exclusivity. Additionally, many players and their families panic once camp starts and a deal is not done. Teams also know this to be commonplace, so some will test the playerís nerves.

A majority of players will listen to their agents when a contract is not reached by the start of camp. The holdout is not a strategy, itís a reaction, the only way a player can say, ďYouíre not treating me fairly.Ē I should add, when rookies donít make it to camp on time it technically should not be called a holdout because theyíre not under contract. Veterans under contract can hold out.

The rest is here:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-players-hold-out.html

CoopDawg
08-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Xanders get these guys into camp!

Northman
08-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Give me 300,000 to sit on the bench and im good.

dreasher54
08-03-2009, 05:43 PM

HAha i totally agree 100%.

broncogary
08-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I missed the words "collective bargaining agreement" in Bechta's analysis.

eddie mac
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
How anyone involved with these young players can argue that their clients aren't getting a good deal is beyond a joke.

The guarantees that have escalated for top 10 picks over the last few years have ruined the NFL in its current format and will be one of the main reasons if there's any kind of lockout or strike in the near future.

You used to have teams that finished poorly the season before, salivating over the thought of gaining a top 5 pick in the next draft to try to improve their team. Nowadays the majority can't wait to get rid of that pick and the financial commitment that comes with it.

Lolad
08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I hope they can settle on a new CBA without a lockout. The veterans should understand, the money should favor the guys who have proven it.

NASurfer
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
How anyone involved with these young players can argue that their clients aren't getting a good deal is beyond a joke.

The guarantees that have escalated for top 10 picks over the last few years have ruined the NFL in its current format and will be one of the main reasons if there's any kind of lockout or strike in the near future.

You used to have teams that finished poorly the season before, salivating over the thought of gaining a top 5 pick in the next draft to try to improve their team. Nowadays the majority can't wait to get rid of that pick and the financial commitment that comes with it.
No kidding. The 49ers paid a **** ton of money to Alex Smith, Vernon Davis and soon Crabtree (if he gets his way). ROFL!

TheChamp24
08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I mean, to me it seems like agents are trying to convince their players that there should be high escalation each year in the draft slots.
I mean, isn't it true that the difference between Moreno signing and not is $1.5 million? How is that being treated unfairly because you aren't getting 20% increase, but only 10%? If a team wanted to pay you lower, or the same amount of last year's pick, I could see it might be iffy. But when a team tries to work with you, increase the guaranteed money, and you balk at $1.5 million when you are already getting $12-$13 million guaranteed, you have no reason IMO to complain it is the team's faults.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Bump

good stuff Med

azbroncfan
08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Would be nice if they could just get a standard pay scale for rookies.

BroncoLifer
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM

I'll do it for half of that!