PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith : PLAYMAKER

Bronco Rob
08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
When the Broncos selected Alphonso Smith in the second round of this year's draft, they knew they were getting a playmaker.

Smith's collegiate success has been well-documented -- an ACC-best 21 career interceptions, four returned for touchdowns, five blocked punts and numerous All-America honors. But now he's no longer the big man on campus. He's a rookie at Dove Valley, and McDaniels said Smith has made some typical rookie mistakes.

"But he is also making some plays on the ball," he said. "He is fixing things. He was here quite a little bit in the summer, and that is quite a credit to him."

"He is competing every day, he is working on the little things and he has definitely showed up," McDaniels continued. "He is around the ball -- he made an interception today and got his hands on a few balls the last couple days. He had a lot of ball production coming out (of college). That is one of the things that we really liked about him, and it is starting to show its face here in training camp."

Brian Dawkins has noticed some of those flashes. But the veteran safety said the rookie has a ways to go.

"He definitely has some learning to do, but you can see the playmaking potential that he has," he said. "It's all about him learning his role, learning the scheme and understanding 100 percent what he has to do so he can let his athletic ability shine through."

L-I-N-K

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9188

:thumbsup:

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I think Montrose will agree with you here...;)

BroncoMan4ever
08-03-2009, 03:36 PM
he is going to start across from Champ by midway through this season

Bronco Rob
08-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Goodman as a nickle is fine by me.........

8')

cutthemdown
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM

And then when Champ goes byebye next yr he will start for him. I seriously doubt Bailey is still worth what he is making but we will see. If he comes back strong this yr, plays in say at least 14 games, gets some picks and big plays then maybe he stays. Otherwise I see Broncos using his money elsewhere.

CoBear23
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
And then when Champ goes byebye next yr he will start for him. I seriously doubt Bailey is still worth what he is making but we will see. If he comes back strong this yr, plays in say at least 14 games, gets some picks and big plays then maybe he stays. Otherwise I see Broncos using his money elsewhere.

I hate to say it but you could be right. In Champ's defense however he has always been a player with incredible physical abilities and a high football I.Q.

I think that if he can stay on the field, his diminishing physical skills will be offset with the intelligence that comes from 10 years in the league. Having a safety that can cover is going to help as well.

Northman
08-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Lets hope that Smith is as good as advertised. But for now its just speculation.

mizzoutigers
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
He ought to be for what we gave up

NYBronco
08-03-2009, 05:55 PM

What exactly did the Broncos give up?

Popps
08-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Bull****.

We gave up draft slots. That's what teams give up to take a player they like and develop him a year early.

For the 1000th time, Smith isn't under any more pressure to produce on the field than any other high draft pick. We paid some draft slots for the privilege of taking a player we had targeted THIS year, and having him one year into his development by next year.

This isn't rocket science.

People need to quit putting idiotic expectations on the kid.

CoopDawg
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
What exactly did the Broncos give up?

We traded our first round pick next season for the #37 pick from Seattle.

NYBronco
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Bull****.

We gave up draft slots. That's what teams give up to take a player they like and develop him a year early.

For the 1000th time, Smith isn't under any more pressure to produce on the field than any other high draft pick. We paid some draft slots for the privilege of taking a player we had targeted THIS year, and having him one year into his development by next year.

I wanted to see what he had to say. Now you just scared him away. :wiggle:

NYBronco
08-03-2009, 06:04 PM
We traded our first round pick next season for the #37 pick from Seattle.

What exactly would that be?

CSU Husker
08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I thought the saying was "A 2nd round pick this year is worth a first round next year". If thats the case we got him at the "price" of next years 5th pick in the draft. I dont think Seattle will get a higher pick than that from us.

meangene
08-03-2009, 06:21 PM
What we got is a kid who is going to be at least a very good starter for us for years to come. Well worth a #1 pick when you consider how many don't ever make it to that level.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
He won't beat out JMFW

cousinal11
08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
He won't beat out JMFW

I don't know. Smith is a player. :strong: Watched him at Wake quite a bit.

We'll need both of them sooner than later. Oldest secondary in the league.

DBroncos4life
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't know. Smith is a player. :strong: Watched him at Wake quite a bit.

We'll need both of them sooner than later. Oldest secondary in the league.

Well signing Dawkins will do that on top of Hill and Goodman that are both over 30.

s0phr0syne
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Soon to be shortest secondary.

No offense meant, because I am a supporter of Alphonso, Goodman (5'10'' at most), and JMFW (hell, even Bell), but all 4 of them are small corners.

I think we can get by with them, but there will be some red zone match up problems. We need DJ Johnson to pan out to have at least one good sized CB, before we talk about jetting Champ off to another team.

Either that or get creative with Barrett and Bruton in certain situations?

Jack_MF_Williams
08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
He won't beat out JMFW

Well said!:thumbsup:

Northman
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM

Are you going to make it off the training bra squad this year? Ha!

Natedogg
08-03-2009, 08:06 PM

No offense meant, because I am a supporter of Alphonso, Goodman (5'10'' at most), and JMFW (hell, even Bell), but all 4 of them are small corners.

I think we can get by with them, but there will be some red zone match up problems. We need DJ Johnson to pan out to have at least one good sized CB, before we talk about jetting Champ off to another team.

Resign Lenny Walls. :)

cutthemdown
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
He won't beat out JMFW

you kidding? This kid is a ballhawk he has to be on field on 3rd downs. I bet he gets 3-4 picks this yr from that nickle spot.

snowspot66
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Go look at the height listings of all the Pro Bowl CB's from this past year.

Rock Chalk
08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I thought the saying was "A 2nd round pick this year is worth a first round next year". If thats the case we got him at the "price" of next years 5th pick in the draft. I dont think Seattle will get a higher pick than that from us.

We are not going to be teh 5th worst team in the NFL next year douche.

If anything we will have a better record than we did last year.

CSU Husker
08-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Ummm, thats EXACTLY what I was saying, ya jackoff.

montrose
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
By season's end, Smith will be one of the team's Top 5 Players:

1) Clady
2) Marshall
3) Royal
4) Harris
5) Smith

Honorable Mention: Moreno, Bailey, Hillis

Bronco Rob
08-04-2009, 07:17 AM
by season's end, smith will be one of the team's top 5 players:

1) clady
2) marshall
3) royal
4) harris
5) smith

honorable mention: Moreno, bailey, hillis

8')

Pat Bowlen
08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
What exactly would that be?
I had wanted Eric Berry, but I just pay the bills.

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Bull****.

Kid could put up 11 INT's, 4 TD's on INT returns, 2 punt return TD's, and there would still be posters saying the team wasted a #1 on him.

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Go get 'em, tiger.

lex
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Exactly. Whether people like it or not, thats how this pick will be judged. And I like Alphonso Smith.

SportinOne
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
The way some of you people talk, Alphonso Smith has already played in the NFL for 7 seasons. Anyone who questions this move tends to be met with the rhetoric of, "Well, 1st round picks are not sure things and QB's have a high failure rate anyway." Has anyone here explored the possibility that Smith might fail, and fail hard? No, but because McDaniels drafted him he is an instant success. Hasn't played a down, and he's already "A solid starter for years to come."

I have news, it reads: "There are at least 60 other players that were drafted this year whose team's fans think that they will be solid starters for years to come."

I really don't care how good Alphonso Smith turns out to be. I'm rooting for him. But it was, and will always be, a dumb move...in my opinion, of course.

misturanderson
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
The way some of you people talk, Alphonso Smith has already played in the NFL for 7 seasons. Anyone who questions this move tends to be met with the rhetoric of, "Well, 1st round picks are not sure things and QB's have a high failure rate anyway." Has anyone here explored the possibility that Smith might fail, and fail hard? No, but because McDaniels drafted him he is an instant success. Hasn't played a down, and he's already "A solid starter for years to come."

I have news, it reads: "There are at least 60 other players that were drafted this year whose team's fans think that they will be solid starters for years to come."

I really don't care how good Alphonso Smith turns out to be. I'm rooting for him. But it was, and will always be, a dumb move...in my opinion, of course.

Or maybe what's been happening is that people who are AT TRAINING CAMP have seen him show some real flashes of greatness and are telling us about it. They have in fact seen him play against a good offense and he's doing well for a rookie. No, he hasn't played a real down yet, but it seems that every year we hear about how great one of the rookies is doing in camp and they turn out to be solid players for us, during the regular season.

He is hopefully just the next in a long line of players that show that they are good in practice before they actually set foot on an NFL field.

Complements are even coming from people who questioned the move to get this kid, so get off your high horse and find something better to complain about.

Br0nc0Buster
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM

and this is why your opinion on this matter doesnt mean anything.
You criticize people for postulating his success before he has even played a game when you are doing the exact same thing

Hercules Rockefeller
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM

1) Clady
2) Marshall
3) Royal
4) Harris
5) Smith

Yeah, no. Until he plays at an All-Pro level, he's not even the best corner on this team.

SportinOne
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Or maybe what's been happening is that people who are AT TRAINING CAMP have seen him show some real flashes of greatness and are telling us about it. They have in fact seen him play against a good offense and he's doing well for a rookie. No, he hasn't played a real down yet, but it seems that every year we hear about how great one of the rookies is doing in camp and they turn out to be solid players for us, during the regular season.

He is hopefully just the next in a long line of players that show that they are good in practice before they actually set foot on an NFL field.

Complements are even coming from people who questioned the move to get this kid, so get off your high horse and find something better to complain about.

Maybe you missed the point. I'm sure he's doing real good in practice. Does that mean he's a solid starter for years to come? Answer that yourself. The point that sailed past you like when Marshall runs the wrong route is that even if he succeeds it was a stupid move. We could have grabbed a player next year that would have MUCH more impact on this teams overall success and we threw it away because either A. Pat Bowlen is running out of money or B. McDaniels REALLY likes his secondary players, or both.

misturanderson
08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
We could have grabbed a player next year that would have MUCH more impact on this teams overall success and we threw it away because either A. Pat Bowlen is running out of money or B. McDaniels REALLY likes his secondary players, or both.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that this is true, yet you state it as if it is a fact.

SportinOne
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, no. Until he plays at an All-Pro level, he's not even the 2nd best corner on this team.

you are welcome.

Drek
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM

So What?

Alphonso Smith is the worst tackler of the bunch and he's at least on par with Foxworth and more willing to put a hit on a guy than O'Neal or Walls ever where.

Height doesn't matter nearly as much as some thing. Doesn't matter if you're 5'9" or 6'1", if you're covering a 6'4" corner you're fighting the same kind of deficiency and you've got to make the same adjustments to perform. So until we can start sending out corners who are significantly taller than the opposing WRs without giving up athleticism or skill does it really matter if our dudes are short?

Jack Williams will still hit like a sack full of bricks, whole lot harder than most taller corners. Goodman is still one of the more fundamentally sound #2's out there and a great compliment to the awesomeness of Champ and the play making ability of Smith.

Height for corners is overrated. No one complains about a linebacker being two inches shorter than average just so long as he can still recognize, run, and tackle like he should. Why care so much about corners?

broncswin
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Any one whos username is CSU HUSKER is of course a doucheROFL!ROFL!

misturanderson
08-04-2009, 01:45 PM
So What?

Alphonso Smith is the worst tackler of the bunch and he's at least on par with Foxworth and more willing to put a hit on a guy than O'Neal or Walls ever where.

Height doesn't matter nearly as much as some thing. Doesn't matter if you're 5'9" or 6'1", if you're covering a 6'4" corner you're fighting the same kind of deficiency and you've got to make the same adjustments to perform. So until we can start sending out corners who are significantly taller than the opposing WRs without giving up athleticism or skill does it really matter if our dudes are short?

Jack Williams will still hit like a sack full of bricks, whole lot harder than most taller corners. Goodman is still one of the more fundamentally sound #2's out there and a great compliment to the awesomeness of Champ and the play making ability of Smith.

Height for corners is overrated. No one complains about a linebacker being two inches shorter than average just so long as he can still recognize, run, and tackle like he should. Why care so much about corners?

The only real situation that I can see it being a big problem is a jump ball in the end zone with a significantly taller WR. That probably has more to do with how good the throw is by the QB than the CB's height though.

SportinOne
08-04-2009, 01:49 PM
You have absolutely no way of knowing that this is true, yet you state it as if it is a fact.

You are right. I should have worded that differently. What I mean is that we could have drafted at a position of higher importance (QB or DL/LB), and given the fact that the pick would be pretty high I can only assume the player would be of high caliber. In combination, that has potential to be a great pick. Combine that with the fact that we are severely lacking at those HIGHLY IMPORTANT positions right now and it means even more to us to have that chance.

We traded that chance for a player who did very well in college at a position of little importance in terms of overall team success. It is what it is.

I just don't agree with the move.

I will cheer long and hard if and when Alphonso Smith starts making plays, I am a Bronco fan and that is the big-picture here. But if you think I'm sold on Kyle Orton or anyone on the defensive line you are nuts. Ayers might have been a good pick. Moreno.. we'll see.. But I just don't think that Smith made sense.

SportinOne
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
So What?

I think the answer has something to do with, oh, I don't know:

Linebackers tend to come up and make tackles, in which case it might be better to have a lower center of gravity. While linebackers DO drop into coverage they very rarely make plays on balls in the air, that's why players like Derrick Brooks are so special.

While I may agree that height for corners is a little overrated, making the comparison to linebackers doesn't make much sense.

~Crash~
08-04-2009, 01:59 PM
not to be a smart ass but I have seen a lot of sloppy play by Smith

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Up yours. Don't saddle the kid with that baggage.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM

1) Clady
2) Marshall
3) Royal
4) Harris
5) Smith

I would rather have Ayers on that list.

We still need DL talent and Depth.

NYBronco
08-04-2009, 03:16 PM

I do care how Alphonso Smith turns out and hope he becomes worthy of the first round pick Denver gave up to get him.

Time will tell is all I'm saying.

Drek
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I think the answer has something to do with, oh, I don't know:

Linebackers tend to come up and make tackles, in which case it might be better to have a lower center of gravity. While linebackers DO drop into coverage they very rarely make plays on balls in the air, that's why players like Derrick Brooks are so special.

While I may agree that height for corners is a little overrated, making the comparison to linebackers doesn't make much sense.

Linebackers do a significant amount of coverage, FYI. They also need to get their hands up in passing lines (as do DLs) when not covering a receiver and the QB is about to release the ball.

If anything length and height would be of a bigger benefit in those tight quarters trying to swat a ball than 10+ yards down field when a DB has a chance to read and react to the ball in flight.

So until a QB figures out how to throw a curveball the only time height really matters for a CB/WR matchup is when a QB can put a football smack dab in the middle of that 5-6" window at around 10' high that only his "tall" WR can reach that the "short" DB can't. exactly in stride with when his WR can reach peak vertical.

That might account for a play or two a game with even the very best QBs, so I'd much rather take the DB who is in all other ways superior and sacrifice some height.

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
You are right. I should have worded that differently. What I mean is that we could have drafted at a position of higher importance (QB or DL/LB), and given the fact that the pick would be pretty high I can only assume the player would be of high caliber. In combination, that has potential to be a great pick. Combine that with the fact that we are severely lacking at those HIGHLY IMPORTANT positions right now and it means even more to us to have that chance.

We traded that chance for a player who did very well in college at a position of little importance in terms of overall team success. It is what it is.

I just don't agree with the move.

I will cheer long and hard if and when Alphonso Smith starts making plays, I am a Bronco fan and that is the big-picture here. But if you think I'm sold on Kyle Orton or anyone on the defensive line you are nuts. Ayers might have been a good pick. Moreno.. we'll see.. But I just don't think that Smith made sense.

Piss off. As I said above - up yours. I doubt your opinion of the team amounts to a hill of beans. If all that wasn't clear enough I'll say you're a sniveling punk that knows nothing about football.

montrose
08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, no. Until he plays at an All-Pro level, he's not even the best corner on this team.

I said by season's end (yes, I'm expecting to play at a Pro Bowl level as a rookie - he's that good).

lex
08-04-2009, 06:45 PM
I said by season's end (yes, I'm expecting to play at a Pro Bowl level as a rookie - he's that good).

Isnt he getting outperformed by a 4th round pick from the previous regime? He'd better step it up.

SoCalBronco
08-04-2009, 06:45 PM

It was pretty funny at camp, today. We were explaining your huge Alphonso man crush to OSKIE and Alec. I think BroncoBuff described it as "borderline pornographic" which was actually very generous of him. :)

DivineLegion
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Isnt he getting outperformed by a 4th round pick from the previous regime? He'd better step it up.

I hope this is lathered in sarcasm because you do realize this is technically Smiths fourth day of NFL practice vs JMFWs full year and as many days.

SportinOne
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Piss off. As I said above - up yours. I doubt your opinion of the team amounts to a hill of beans. If all that wasn't clear enough I'll say you're a sniveling punk that knows nothing about football.

My opinion amounts to a hill of beans? What does that even mean?

Everyone's opinion amounts to about the same thing. I'm just giving mine. For me, that pick would have had more value had we held onto it rather than wasting it on a position that we basically already had covered. If any position on the defense could afford to be left alone, it was CB. Champ, Goodman, and JMFW is not bad. When you look at the rest of the NFL, our secondary was not that bad at all. It wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't bottom 10... or bottom 5 like our front 7 is.

As for the insult... if my opinion hurt your feelings that much... get over it. Although, I think it stings much more to have my football knowledge questioned than to be called a "sniveling punk." Either way, stay classy.

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
My opinion amounts to a hill of beans? What does that even mean?

Everyone's opinion amounts to about the same thing. I'm just giving mine. For me, that pick would have had more value had we held onto it rather than wasting it on a position that we basically already had covered. If any position on the defense could afford to be left alone, it was CB. Champ, Goodman, and JMFW is not bad. When you look at the rest of the NFL, our secondary was not that bad at all. It wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't bottom 10... or bottom 5 like our front 7 is.

As for the insult... if my opinion hurt your feelings that much... get over it. Although, I think it stings much more to have my football knowledge questioned than to be called a "sniveling punk." Either way, stay classy.

With all due respect, you and a bunch of other posters have been ragging on the Broncs without class. If I jump on you in a classless manner, don't pretend like you're offended because I offended your sense of "class". That's a laugh, eh? Piss off.

DBroncos4life
08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I hope this is lathered in sarcasm because you do realize this is technically Smiths fourth day of NFL practice vs JMFWs full year and as many days.

Why is williams out playing Goodman then?