PDA

View Full Version : 8/3 AM Report SoCal, BroncoBuff, Montrose et al.

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Alright....we're back.

Reports to follow.

Irish Stout
08-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Well so far this thread has been a let down.

LonghornBronco
08-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Que Jeopardy music...

P.S. Thanks alot guys

ghwk
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
crickets....

underrated29
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

BRING IT!

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
They're going to lose reports with the Mane going down... guaranteed someone loses their report.

OABB
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm digging the foreplay....but my labes are swollen and soaked so hurry it up already.

Borks147
08-03-2009, 02:02 PM
They're going to lose reports with the Mane going down... guaranteed someone loses their report.

not if they write it up on word first

underrated29
08-03-2009, 02:05 PM

yeah, cuz i am new here i am sure you have all gone over it. But ive seen you guys at our site a fair amount when this happens... but why does the server or whatever keep going down here?

Seems to happen a lot..?

alkemical
08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
not if they write it up on word first

I know...right.

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I. QUARTERBACKS- I thought Orton was clearly better than Simms, today. In the early going at practice, the team worked on red zone routes vs. air and Orton was able to hit several WR's in stride. The team played a little more 11 on 11 than the previous practices, which was nice. Orton showed some decent accuracy, especially on a wheel route to Peyton Hillis that was a sure TD except for Larsen breaking it up at the last second, although he did miss Royal throwing behind him on a slant pass and overthrowing a deep PA pass. Overall, he did a nice job for himself. Simms had alot of issues, today. He was intercepted by Bailey in team drills and made a number of mistakes. Among his few highlights was a nice throw to Gaffney on a deep corner route. Brandstater is still well behind the curve and had today's center exchange problem.

II. RUNNING BACKS- Hillis looked fabulous in the passing and running game. When the team had 9 on 9 run drills, Hillis was able to truck through the starting defense on several occasions. Not only is he a beast, he also continues to display good vision in tight spaces. Hillis was also noteworthy for picking today's music, as it was almost completely country music, much to the chagrin of several of his teammates. Lamont Jordan did not show a whole lot of pop this morning. 24champ believes he might get cut, although I'm not sure I would go that far, given his experience. I didn't see much of Buckhalter out there, not sure if he had a problem or what.

III. WIDE RECIEVERS- The most notable news today was that Marshall as well as Stokley did not participate. Not surprisingly, the top unit was once again Royal and Gaffney. Gaffney is a pretty steady target in this offense and he'll definitely have a solid role as the No. 3 this year. They continue to work on screens emphasizing Royal. Royal displays good evasiveness after catching the quick screen, almost always picking the right lane to get up the field after the catch. Royal also made a nice catch while falling to the ground.

IV. TIGHT ENDS- Scheffler had a couple grabs but still did not get a whole lot of work out there. He did have one noticeable drop in the Routes on Air section of practice. The offense doesn't appear to feature TE's in the passing game alot, however, the team did utilize several 2 TE sets today in the run game. Did not notice Graham, Quinn or Putzier that much, either.

V. OFFENSIVE LINE- The first string line continues to perform steadily, although the defensive front did a better job against them in the run game when Hillis wasn't in there. Thomas, R. Davis and others were able to create some havoc in that area against the 2nd teamers. Polumbus got owned by J'Vonne Parker a few times.

LonghornBronco
08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
It sounds like the opening day line is going to be Peterson, Fields, Thomas. Do you agree?

Los Broncos
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the report, sucks we cant hear more of Marshall and Smith going at it.

minibronco
08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
thank you!

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents here on a few things I saw, as I'm sure SoCal, Montrose, and Buff will have much better write ups...

Hillis is a man on a mission this training camp, he is going to force himself on the field at all costs!

QB: Orton did look good, but I want to see him with a full compliment of WR. As stated Marshall and Stokely were both out, so Chad Jackson got a lot of reps. Simms had a bad day, he was off on most of his throws, and Champ made a nice play on a fade to the End zone to pick it off, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom B. take over the backup before the year is over....

RB: Hillis was the man today, starting with him picking the stretching music, all country, to much the other players chagrin. And finishing with his usual run you over style, he also had a nice run to the out side, out running the OLBs before being caught by Bell in the secondary. Lamont Jordan took a lot of first team snaps, but was vastly outplayed by Hillis all day. Darius Walker had some nice moves in 1 on 1's including juking Griesen the LB so bad that he had to be carted off...

OL: The first team OL looked dominate against our first team DL for the most part. Not sure if that's good or bad?

I don't really have a whole lot on the other positions, but look for SoCal, Montrose, Buff, and 24champ to give a lot of good info...

Some Pics:
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs180.snc1/6772_507772416166_331500738_271173_7786696_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs200.snc1/6772_507772496006_331500738_271189_6537723_n.jpg
Champ TFTP...haha
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs200.snc1/6772_507772535926_331500738_271197_54899_n.jpg

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 02:24 PM
VI. DEFENSIVE LINE- Thomas had another productive day. He made some plays vs. the run and also pressured the passer. I suspect he's moving up on the chart and is on his way to becoming one of the starting ends. Thomas had a would be sack and also a TFL. J'Vonne Parker stood out as he made Polumbus his biatch a few times. Did not notice Powell but Montrose was of the view that he was doing well. Rulon Davis made some noise against the backups. We continue to see very little from McBean.

VII. LINEBACKERS- Reid and Crowder both did a nice job today. Crowder continues to be a force in the run game and Reid also got some pressure in pass situations. I did not notice Dumervil as much, however. It was previously reported that Moss would return to practice today, but we saw no sign of him. 24champ said he's TRTP (Too Retired to Play :) ). Backup LB Nick Greisen whiffed on a one on one tackle in a drill and appeared to suffer a significant injury as a result. Rookie LB Lee Robinson made a nice play in the run game. For some reason, Wesley Woodyard was not out there, today. The starting ILB's made more of an impact today. In the 9 on 9 run drill, DJ stopped the RB for a short gain, although he did miss a tackle later in the 9 on 9s. In the red zone passing drills, he deflected a pass on a post route that he got good depth on, he almost intercepted it, but couldn't quite hold on to it. Andra Davis had a nice TFL. Larsen did a very job nice job vs. the run on the 2nd team and also closed well on shallow cross routes beneath him.

VIII. DEFENSIVE BACKS- Dawkins did not practice this morning. We noticed Bruton was getting a good amount of practice time with the would be starters, as well as JMFW on occasion. Champ Bailey appears to be getting back into the groove, as he picked off Simms on a sideline route. Alphonso Smith continues to get alot of reps, at times as the starting nickel (altho JMFW did as well). Montrose loves this kid. I mean its like Khan and Chris Kuper or me and DJ, except multiply the love by 10 times. :). Did not notice Barrett as much today as I did yesterday, or Darnel McBath.

IX. SPECIAL TEAMS- The team spent some time on punting drills at the outset. They were using Royal as well as Smith back there, although they didn't really allow returns. They were more concerned with coverage units. We did get a good comparison of the punters. Brett Kern appears to be holding onto his job pretty well. He's getting good hang time. Colquitt had a shank and was just definitely a cut below Kern.

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 02:26 PM
It sounds like the opening day line is going to be Peterson, Fields, Thomas. Do you agree?

That's very possible, although Powell might be able to unseat Peterson.

Beantown Bronco
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
but why does the server or whatever keep going down here?

Cause none of the female posters will.....

Ray Finkle
08-03-2009, 02:41 PM
this thread is useless without pictures!

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
this thread is useless without pictures!

Scroll up...

dbfan4life
08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Champ...making plays...dude needs to step up.

Time to call out #24, eh wolf? Next!

Irish Stout
08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Guys! Great work.

tsiguy96
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
That's very possible, although Powell might be able to unseat Peterson.

i dont think the starting dline is super important, the rotations are however. the starters will see more reps but i dont think its as important as say the starting oline, its the depth and rotations that are important..

montrose
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
SoCal and Doug hit most of my major points. Orton looked terrific in the red zone drills other than the pass behind Eddie on a slant - I mentioned to SoCal I don't like throwing quick slants out of the gun because it throws of the timing of getting the laces which is why it looked like the pass was behind Eddie. Speaking of Eddie, he was the best WR today, almost uncoverable at times. He ran a beautiful jailbreak screen for what would've been a big gain. Gaffney was solid again too. Lloyd and Jackson each dropped easy passes during the routes on air drill, however Jackson made a great leaping TD catch later - both are inconsistant but do have talent. Didn't notice much of the TE's although Graham was having a tough time with Crowder on a few plays but owned Reid at one point. Hillis was the best of the RBs today and I haven't been at all impressed with Jordan although he's been working with the 1st unit. Torain had a quiet day as well. Thus far, Hillis and Buckhalter (who didn't practice today) have been the most consistant of the backs. Hillis is showing good vision and running very hard, they're working him on screen passes and splitting him out wide - he's clearly an early favorite of McDaniels. Larsen's been throwing some nice blocks at FB too so I think we're in good shape in the backfield especially once Moreno gets signed. The OL looked pretty good although some of our bigger DL like Parker and Powell are giving them problems in the run game. At some point I was told Crowder threw a punch at Hamilton but I don't know why and it didn't boil into anything. Kuper and Hill got chippy at one point too. I'm actually liking the way our DL is coming together. Thomas blew up a few plays in the backfield while both Fields and Baker continue to do well occupying blockers and occassionally pushing back the pocket. I'm not at all impressed with McBean although he has had to battle Clady and Harris a great deal. At this point, I'd like a DL of Fields, Thomas and Powell with Peterson, Baker and Parker as the reserves - I'd feel quite confident in that group's ability to play competently. Both DJ and Davis played well inside, DJ was hitting the hole hard and Davis blew up a play in the backfield. Crowder continues to blow me away, not only at his ability to hold contain at the LOS but he just looks so fluid in coverage. In the red zone, he dropped in a hook zone - covered his man to another man then rushed Simms and forced a would-be sack. He looks like our best OLB to me. Reid had several moments getting into the backfield but was also owned by Graham and Harris a few times. He's inconsistant but does play very hard. Didn't notice much of Doom today, I maintain he's best served to be saved for 3rd down pass rushing in the nickle. Speaking of the nickle, the LBs have been DJ and Woodyard (who was out today) with a 4-man line of Reid, Thomas, Fields and Doom. The S and NB have rotated from Barrett, McBath, Bruton, Smith and Williams. I mentioned at lunch that because team's spend so much time in the nickle, I'd prefer to use a 50-front on 1st downs with Crowder and Reid at OLB then when in the nickle, go with Doom and Ayers at DE along with Thomas and Reid inside. Didn't notice much of the secondary although Bruton was getting some 1st team reps along with Barrett in place of Dawkins. Will post more this afternoon and yes, I do have a major man-crush on Smith (followed by Orton, Crowder, Powell, Parker and a slew of others) and am not afraid to say it!

Williams
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reports SoCal & crew. Great reading, as always.

How has Chris Baker looked? He's one of the most intriguing rook prospects IMO, and I havent heard him mentioned in any of the camp reports yet.

scruff05
08-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks SoCal and Doug. Awesome info! Keep it coming!!!

24champ
08-03-2009, 03:09 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4002-1.jpg

Orton and Scheff joking around during warmups.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4005.jpg

Ryan Torain with nowhere to go.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4006.jpg

DJ Williams jumping up to make a play.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4007.jpg

Champ being the playmaker he is.

oubronco
08-03-2009, 03:12 PM
if DJ made aplay on that pass he can flat out jump

s0phr0syne
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
nice action shots champ

BroncoDoug
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Nice picks 24Champ, you got that bailey Pick just perfect!

24champ
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4008.jpg

Nolan coaching up the D.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4009.jpg

Royal and Champ Bailey tangle.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4010.jpg

Ben Hamilton.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4011.jpg

Spencer Larsen.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4012.jpg
Lonnie Paxton

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingCamp4013.jpg
Richard Quinn.

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
MORNING PRACTICE - Monday August 3

Handful of players missing from the morning session, including Brandon Marshall, Brian Dawkins, Wesley Woodyard, Brandon Stokley, Jarvis Moss and Correll Buckhalter.

The session started out with head coach Josh McDaniels’ new emphasis on a lengthy stretching period prior to practice. The music for today’s stretching was chosen by Peyton Hillis, and featured the kind of country music you’d expect from an Arkansas boy. Hillis was especially vocal in trying his best to start a sing-along with his teammates, to the strains of Alabama’s "Song of the South." Hillis threw his arms in the air, and seemed to enjoy himself, but Lamont Jordan was later quoted to complain that Hillis’s choice of music was "unconscionable and unconstitutional."

SPECIAL TEAMS

Special teams led off this morning, punt coverage up front. Richard Quinn seems especially quick at first pounding down the edge rusher, and then immediately jetting downfield in coverage, both tasks in a single, seamless effort. David Bruton is a big kid, he also excelled in coverage. Wearing jersey #30, Bruton seemed intent on not over-pursuing, but rather watching the eyes of the returner, intent on avoiding a wide swing and big return. Seems like a smart player.

The one serious injury of the session happened when Darius Walker fielded a Britton Colquitt punt, and juked linebacker Nick Greisen so thoroughly, that Greisen badly twisted his knee flailing his arm backward reaching for Walker. Nick was carted off with what is thought to be a serious knee injury.

Eddie Royal and rookie Alphonso Smith were first in line as returners. Both have excellent hands. Brett Kern pinned Royal in the corner with a magnificently high and well-placed kick, and Smith looked to be surrounded by Mario Haggan, David Bruton and Josh Barrett, but Smith juked Barrett out of his cleats and looked to be set to outrun Haggan on the sidelines, though no contact was allowed. Rookie Kenny McKinley and speedster Chad Jackson rotated in as returners. Jackson is very, very fast. Kern was hit and miss with his punts, but we’re probably stuck with him, as Britton Colquitt doesn’t appear to be much of a threat.

OFFENSE

Of all the players on the field this morning, Peyton Hillis was the clearly the star of the show. Again and again he shot through the line ...he kept his eyes up and picked the right hole every time. His receiving was flawless, he hauled in everything thrown his way, and he turns and accelerates turns upfield very quickly. The lone moment of humuility came when Peyton knifed into the line, only be introduced to Rulon Davis, who stood him up and blew him up to major cheers from the fans.

Ryan Torain’s knee seems fine, his churning style look pretty good between the tackles, and he even seemed quick in the flats, catching one Chris Simms throw on the run and cutting past Renaldo Hill for what might’ve been a touchdown on the right Sunday. Lamont Joran is another story ... he seemd slow and out of sorts. Not sure whether his experience with McDaniels in New England will help him, but in this session he was outplayed by both Torain and Darius Walker.

Kyle Orton throws a beautiful ball, a tight spiral that was especially accurate toward the far corner of the end zone. Orton was statistically one of the best quarterbacks in the league in the red zone last year - not a single interception - and his passes there this morning showed why. Chris Simms was something of a disappointment in this session, twice actually pausing before the snap to consult the coaches behind him - once even calling a mock "timeout." Tom Brandstater has a very strong arm, probably stronger than Orton or Simms. He’s on the slim side (think of Brodie Croyle). But of course as a rookie he seemed tentative, and had very few reps from scrimmage.

The starting O-Line is of course an exemplary unit, effortly flawless in protection, and crisp in opening holes, especially for Hillis. Second-team offensive line included from left to right, Tyler Polumbus, Matt McChesney, Kory Lichtensteiger, Seth Olsen and Clint Oldenberg. Olsen is a very big boy, and Polumbus and Oldenburg are very tall. Blake Schleuter though is definitely on the small side ... probably even lighter than Ben Hamilton. Lichtensteiger seems confident and focused, though of course a bit on the short side.
Lots of flux in the WRs ... without Marshall or Stokley it’s hard to get much of a read on here they’re planning to go with this unit. Eddie Royal of course was the star receiver today, no surprise there, though he did uncharacteristically drop one catchable ball. Gaffney and Lloyd seem competent, though neither inspire confidence in a starting role. Neither Kenny McKinley nor Chad Jackson did too much from scrimmage, though as mentioned they were active in punt return drills.

Daniel Graham caught one ball, but Richard Quinn none today. Tony Scheffler was very active in pass receiving. He dropped a very catchable touchdown pass to the groans of some 200-300 fans on the hill, but caught several other balls including a nice one over his shoulder from Chris Simms.

NEXT: Defense, 11-on-11, and Skirmishes (fights).

Inkana7
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Great pictures, great reports. I'm LOVING what I'm hearing about Crowder.

Los Broncos
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Great photos and report, Hillis is an animal.

Cmac821
08-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Why does Royal look so tall in that picture with Champ?

SonOfLe-loLang
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Why does Royal look so tall in that picture with Champ?

Cause royal is being lifted off the ground and champ is in a deeper knee bend?

Traveler
08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
VI. DEFENSIVE LINE- Thomas had another productive day. He made some plays vs. the run and also pressured the passer. I suspect he's moving up on the chart and is on his way to becoming one of the starting ends. Thomas had a would be sack and also a TFL. J'Vonne Parker stood out as he made Polumbus his biatch a few times. Did not notice Powell but Montrose was of the view that he was doing well. Rulon Davis made some noise against the backups. We continue to see very little from McBean.

SoCal-

Maybe I missed you guys mentioning it earlier, but has Thomas been lining up at DE since he was cleared to start practicing? He style of play seems like a perfect fit for 3-4 DE. Was a little disappointed to hear he was still being used as a NT during OTA's.

Hotrod
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
[U]

The session started out with head coach Josh McDaniels’ new emphasis on a lengthy stretching period prior to practice.

Best news of training camp. Its about ****ing time

Cmac821
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Cause royal is being lifted off the ground and champ is in a deeper knee bend?

Doesn't look like champ is wearing much pads either, that is a weird optical illusion

crowebomber
08-03-2009, 03:52 PM
SoCal and Doug hit most of my major points. Orton looked terrific in the red zone drills other than the pass behind Eddie on a slant - I mentioned to SoCal I don't like throwing quick slants out of the gun because it throws of the timing of getting the laces which is why it looked like the pass was behind Eddie. Speaking of Eddie, he was the best WR today, almost uncoverable at times. He ran a beautiful jailbreak screen for what would've been a big gain. Gaffney was solid again too. Lloyd and Jackson each dropped easy passes during the routes on air drill, however Jackson made a great leaping TD catch later - both are inconsistant but do have talent. Didn't notice much of the TE's although Graham was having a tough time with Crowder on a few plays but owned Reid at one point. Hillis was the best of the RBs today and I haven't been at all impressed with Jordan although he's been working with the 1st unit. Torain had a quiet day as well. Thus far, Hillis and Buckhalter (who didn't practice today) have been the most consistant of the backs. Hillis is showing good vision and running very hard, they're working him on screen passes and splitting him out wide - he's clearly an early favorite of McDaniels. Larsen's been throwing some nice blocks at FB too so I think we're in good shape in the backfield especially once Moreno gets signed. The OL looked pretty good although some of our bigger DL like Parker and Powell are giving them problems in the run game. At some point I was told Crowder threw a punch at Hamilton but I don't know why and it didn't boil into anything. Kuper and Hill got chippy at one point too. I'm actually liking the way our DL is coming together. Thomas blew up a few plays in the backfield while both Fields and Baker continue to do well occupying blockers and occassionally pushing back the pocket. I'm not at all impressed with McBean although he has had to battle Clady and Harris a great deal. At this point, I'd like a DL of Fields, Thomas and Powell with Peterson, Baker and Parker as the reserves - I'd feel quite confident in that group's ability to play competently. Both DJ and Davis played well inside, DJ was hitting the hole hard and Davis blew up a play in the backfield. Crowder continues to kiss me, and tell me that you love me away, not only at his ability to hold contain at the LOS but he just looks so fluid in coverage. In the red zone, he dropped in a hook zone - covered his man to another man then rushed Simms and forced a would-be sack. He looks like our best OLB to me. Reid had several moments getting into the backfield but was also owned by Graham and Harris a few times. He's inconsistant but does play very hard. Didn't notice much of Doom today, I maintain he's best served to be saved for 3rd down pass rushing in the nickle. Speaking of the nickle, the LBs have been DJ and Woodyard (who was out today) with a 4-man line of Reid, Thomas, Fields and Doom. The S and NB have rotated from Barrett, McBath, Bruton, Smith and Williams. I mentioned at lunch that because team's spend so much time in the nickle, I'd prefer to use a 50-front on 1st downs with Crowder and Reid at OLB then when in the nickle, go with Doom and Ayers at DE along with Thomas and Reid inside. Didn't notice much of the secondary although Bruton was getting some 1st team reps along with Barrett in place of Dawkins. Will post more this afternoon and yes, I do have a major man-crush on Smith (followed by Orton, Crowder, Powell, Parker and a slew of others) and am not afraid to say it!

Ummm, what?

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
SoCal-

Maybe I missed you guys mentioning it earlier, but has Thomas been lining up at DE since he was cleared to start practicing? He style of play seems like a perfect fit for 3-4 DE. Was a little disappointed to hear he was still being used as a NT during OTA's.

Yes he has been lining up at 3-4 DE. I'm not so sure its a perfect fit for him....certainly at about 300, he has the ideal weight, but the role is basically to be a son of a biatch and take on all the ****. That's never really been a role associated with Thomas in the past. At the University of Florida, he was a pass rushing DT. He played only about 5-6 games his senior year there, but was averaging basically a sack per game to that point. He's also the athletic type of DT, which also does not traditionally comport with the role of a 3-4 DE, so there were some questions about his transition. I still don't think its perfect for him for those reasons, but it does appear that he's making progress in his transition and that his talent is starting to show a little bit despite the inherently restrictive role of the position.

HooptyHoops
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I love the pic of Royal and Champ...Royal looks HUGE as compared to Champ!!

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Ummm, what?

Actually.....I think Montrose was intending to use that line when he got to discussing Alphonso Smith....but he just inadvertently put it next to Crowder.

:rofl:

Orange_Beard
08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Great report thanks.

OBF1
08-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Atleast Montose has found a new "Love of his life" Summertime in the rockies" is so sweet :devil:

Hulamau
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Great stuff guys .. keep it comin'!

cmhargrove
08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
On today's DenverBroncos.com blog, they said Josh Barrett lined up as an ILB in the starting nickel package - is that true?

Anaximines
08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Crowder continues to kiss me, and tell me that you love me away

Well put, thanks for the reports everyone.

broncosteven
08-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I know it is still early but is there any sign of pads wearing the players down?

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
On today's DenverBroncos.com blog, they said Josh Barrett lined up as an ILB in the starting nickel package - is that true?

Not sure....I didn't notice that he was lined up at LB specifically. Keep in mind that WW is usually starting in the nickel along with DJ and WW was out today, so perhaps Barrett simply replaced him if in fact they were using him in that capacity.

SoCalBronco
08-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I know it is still early but is there any sign of pads wearing the players down?

Nothing noticeable that I can see....haven't seen much sluggishness yet.

Hotrod
08-03-2009, 04:41 PM
In honor of our long lost friend Rascal

"How does the field look"?

Archer81
08-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Anyone else think that we will run the ball enough to have two thousand yard rushers?

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Anyone else think that we will run the ball enough to have two thousand yard rushers?

hopefully. and with the strength of the pass blocking oline and the receiving core, this is easily a championship caliber offense.

Archer81
08-03-2009, 04:58 PM
hopefully. and with the strength of the pass blocking oline and the receiving core, this is easily a championship caliber offense.

Best way to protect a defense with several new starters and returning players in new positions.

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM

DEFENSE

Looking very well conditioned, Champ Bailey joined Renaldo Hill and Andre Goodman in the first team secondary, with Josh Barrett, David Bruton and Vernon Fox rotating in for Brian Dawkins, who missed the session. First-team nickel package featured a 4-2-5 set, as Dumervil put his hand on the ground, and D.J. Williams and Spencer Larsen played linebacker (Larsen wore the navy defensive jersey). In the nickel and dime packages, Alphonso Smith, Josh Bell and Jack Williams all played. David Bruton and Josh Barrett were called on for the Big Nickel formation, but with Dawkins out, it’s hard to gauge who they like in these sets. Champ Bailey drew the loudest cheers of the days when he went high to intercept and Orton pass, intended for (what looked to be) Jabar Gaffney at the corner of the goal line. Champ will be fine.

The Broncos might have found a diamond in the rough in the person of rookie LB Lee Robinson from Alcorn State. He blasted Ryan Torain once to the yelps and howls of the fans, and seemed to bring a kind of raw energy to the field. A large portion of the defensive practice occurs on the far field, so we saw less of the defense. Not much to be seen from linebacker Andra Davis.

The jumbo OLBs were hit and miss. Tim Crowder moved very well laterally - better than I was expecting - and he seemed to be taking to the OLB spot ..pending Robert Ayers’ arrival, he seems set as a first-teamer in the 3-4 set. On the other hand, Elvis seemed mostly out of sorts this morning, and at 288, Darrell Reid inspires little confidence on the edges, though he did get in a couple of good shots on the runners, included one that stood up and staggered Lamont Jordan. Again, first-round pick Robert Ayers is not in camp yet, though the word is he is at a nearby hotel waiting, and his deal is nearly done. Until Ayers arrives, it’s too early to render any informed opinion on the jumbo OLBs.

Very tough to judge the defensive line. Ryan McBean and Kenny Peterson are both running first team DE in the 3-4 set, but the consensus of OM reporters SoCalBronco, montrose, BroncoDoug and myself is that neither should be starting. Carlton Powell looked very impressive running second-team DE, once blasting past Clint Oldenberg to sack Chris Simms. Ron Fields knifed into the backfield once, but it was away from the play. Marcus Thomas has put on alotta weight (no wonder his conditioning is an issue, duh), and was running second-team NT. But again, the consensus of the OM reporters today is that MT and Powell are best suited to the starting 3-4 DE spots. Mathias Askew was impressive, he has good quickness for a lineman. The CFAs included Chris Baker, good bulk with an Andre Gurode-like low center of gravity. Didn’t see Everette Pedescleaux, but Rulon Davis stood up Peyton Hillis one to louds cheers from the fans.

ELEVEN on ELEVEN

First play out of the chute, Kyle Orton threaded the needle between D.J. Williams and Renaldo Hill with a completion to Eddie Royal that looked like it would’ve gone for six.

D.J. Williams cut and ran with Chad Jackson on a crossing route toward the goal line and batted down an Orton pass that would have been a touchdown in game situations. Seemed there might’ve been a missed coverage, in that there was no help behind DJ on the speedy Jackson (I neglected to mention in the Offense Report that Jackson did go very high to make a nice catch on a Chris Simms pass). Much of the rest of the 11-on-11 has been recounted elsewhere in my reports today, in fact I’m all out of notes, so I’ll leave you with .........

SKIRMISHES (fights)

Several this morning, notably a push and push and push between between Ryan McBean and Ryan Harris. They shoves were hard, though, unsurprisingly, Harris was definitely the victor in this one. Even more dramatic was the Tim Crowder - Matt McChesney bout. A shove, then another shove, then a pause with a couple of words, to which Crowder took a swift, wide and wild swing at McChesney, chin high and serious. Whistles, coaches and big bodies quickly stepped in, but McChesney has always provoked confrontations, dating to his college years in Boulder when he played DT. Kinda gotta figure he was the aggressor. ;D

BlaK-Argentina
08-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Awesome job thanks guys!!!! Loving the news on Hillis and Crowder.

Paladin
08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Lots of great news. Thanks to all.....

Gcver2ver3
08-03-2009, 05:26 PM

DEFENSE

Looking very well conditioned, Champ Bailey joined Renaldo Hill and Andre Goodman in the first team secondary, with Josh Barrett, David Bruton and Vernon Fox rotating in for Brian Dawkins, who missed the session. First-team nickel package featured a 4-2-5 set, as Dumervil put his hand on the ground, and D.J. Williams and Spencer Larsen played linebacker (Larsen wore the navy defensive jersey). In the nickel and dime packages, Alphonso Smith, Josh Bell and Jack Williams all played. David Bruton and Josh Barrett were called on for the Big Nickel formation, but with Dawkins out, it’s hard to gauge who they like in these sets. Champ Bailey drew the loudest cheers of the days when he went high to intercept and Orton pass, intended for (what looked to be) Jabar Gaffney at the corner of the goal line. Champ will be fine.

The Broncos might have found a diamond in the rough in the person of rookie LB Lee Robinson from Alcorn State. He blasted Ryan Torain once to the yelps and howls of the fans, and seemed to bring a kind of raw energy to the field. A large portion of the defensive practice occurs on the far field, so we saw less of the defense. Not much to be seen from linebacker Andra Davis.

The jumbo OLBs were hit and miss. Tim Crowder moved very well laterally - better than I was expecting - and he seemed to be taking to the OLB spot ..pending Robert Ayers’ arrival, he seems set as a first-teamer in the 3-4 set. On the other hand, Elvis seemed mostly out of sorts this morning, and at 288, Darrell Reid inspires little confidence on the edges, though he did get in a couple of good shots on the runners, included one that stood up and staggered Lamont Jordan. Again, first-round pick Robert Ayers is not in camp yet, though the word is he is at a nearby hotel waiting, and his deal is nearly done. Until Ayers arrives, it’s too early to render any informed opinion on the jumbo OLBs.

Very tough to judge the defensive line. Ryan McBean and Kenny Peterson are both running first team DE in the 3-4 set, but the consensus of OM reporters SoCalBronco, montrose, BroncoDoug and myself is that neither should be starting. Carlton Powell looked very impressive running second-team DE, once blasting past Clint Oldenberg to sack Chris Simms. Ron Fields knifed into the backfield once, but it was away from the play. Marcus Thomas has put on alotta weight (no wonder his conditioning is an issue, duh), and was running second-team NT. But again, the consensus of the OM reporters today is that MT and Powell are best suited to the starting 3-4 DE spots. Mathias Askew was impressive, he has good quickness for a lineman. The CFAs included Chris Baker, good bulk with an Andre Gurode-like low center of gravity. Didn’t see Everette Pedescleaux, but Rulon Davis stood up Peyton Hillis one to louds cheers from the fans.

ELEVEN on ELEVEN

First play out of the chute, Kyle Orton threaded the needle between D.J. Williams and Renaldo Hill with a completion to Eddie Royal that looked like it would’ve gone for six.

D.J. Williams cut and ran with Chad Jackson on a crossing route toward the goal line and batted down an Orton pass that would have been a touchdown in game situations. Seemed there might’ve been a missed coverage, in that there was no help behind DJ on the speedy Jackson (I neglected to mention in the Offense Report that Jackson did go very high to make a nice catch on a Chris Simms pass). Much of the rest of the 11-on-11 has been recounted elsewhere in my reports today, in fact I’m all out of notes, so I’ll leave you with .........

SKIRMISHES (fights)

Several this morning, notably a push and push and push between between Ryan McBean and Ryan Harris. They shoves were hard, though, unsurprisingly, Harris was definitely the victor in this one. Even more dramatic was the Tim Crowder - Matt McChesney bout. A shove, then another shove, then a pause with a couple of words, to which Crowder took a swift, wide and wild swing at McChesney, chin high and serious. Whistles, coaches and big bodies quickly stepped in, but McChesney has always provoked confrontations, dating to his college years in Boulder when he played DT. Kinda gotta figure he was the aggressor. ;D

Thanks B...

i'm really excited about Crowder so far...

Premier-Ace55
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the extra info on the dline I have been looking foward to this guys and you
guys always deliver. I appreciate the work that you all do.

HEAV
08-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Great job fellas! Who/whom are going to evening practice?

Popps
08-03-2009, 06:09 PM
VI. DEFENSIVE LINE- Thomas had another productive day. He made some plays vs. the run and also pressured the passer. I suspect he's moving up on the chart and is on his way to becoming one of the starting ends.

:yayaya:

I've been waiting for this news. I hope this continues. I think Thomas is a great candidate for an end spot, and I also think he's a real key to how successful we'll be in the front seven this year. We really need him to live up to his potential and pan out as a top-flight starter. He's not a NT, imo. We need him at DE.

GreatBronco16
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Great report guys. Thank you so very much.:notworthy

Dukes
08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
It's nice to hear you guys say Crowder and Thomas are doing fairly well so far. According to Mike and Sandy on the fan they might get cut, guess they don't watch practice.

_Oro_
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
"Crowder looks so fluid in coverage"

That's just bizarre.

DHallblows
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Ummm, what?

Oooooh I love the word filters here! :giggle:

broncofan2438
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys...awesome

fido
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Great reads.....sounds like Crowder has really stepped up from last year.

CHANGSTER
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for these reports guys. Great stuff.

Good to hear my adopt a Bronco is making some noise.

BroncoBuff
08-03-2009, 09:21 PM
It's nice to hear you guys say Crowder and Thomas are doing fairly well so far. According to Mike and Sandy on the fan they might get cut, guess they don't watch practice.Marcus Thomas has put on a fair amount of weight. I suppose (hope) it's for football reasons. But I cannot imagine he'll be cut, there's SO little talent and experience on this line, he would seem his presence would be a borderline necessity.

The Tim Crowder comment is even more puzzling than MT. Of course tomorrow Robert Ayers is on the field for the first time, and any conjecture about Crowder is subject to where Ayers will be slotted. But please understand, Crowder is running with the 1st team 3-4 defense, and that means something. He looks better in the 3-4 than Elvis, no doubt about that. I firmly agree with SoCal, montrose an BroncoDoug... Crowder looks very good ... he drops into coverage and moves laterally into the flat very smoothly. Looks like he lost a few pounds, too. Pending Ayers' development, I feel very confident with Crowder starting at OLB in the 3-4.

I know Sandy Clough very well, I produced his first fulltime talk show at KOA, 1985-86. He has excellent sources, and his opinion is very well informed and objective. Let's examine his positioo be an here: It does looks a bit funny for MT. In two years in the league, he has more NFL starts than ALL the other D-linemen put together, and yet he's running 2nd team to street free agents like Ryan McBean. Montrose made a good point tonight ... MT might be the kinda guy who needs a 2nd team placement as motivation, and they'll use that as a tool to prod him ... then when the regular season starts, they'll promote him ahead of McBean or even Peterson.

It's entirely possible that Sandy was dropped a decoy, such that he would get word out there, further pushing Thomas, we'll see soon enough, it's just 12 days to the 49ers!

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Wow, good insight Buff. I've always wondered if stuff like that happened, the decoy type thing...

montrose
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Not sure where that "love" line came from, must not have been playing as much attention as I thought!

Beantown Bronco
08-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Yes he has been lining up at 3-4 DE. I'm not so sure its a perfect fit for him....certainly at about 300, he has the ideal weight, but the role is basically to be a son of a biatch and take on all the ****. That's never really been a role associated with Thomas in the past. At the University of Florida, he was a pass rushing DT. He played only about 5-6 games his senior year there, but was averaging basically a sack per game to that point. He's also the athletic type of DT, which also does not traditionally comport with the role of a 3-4 DE, so there were some questions about his transition. I still don't think its perfect for him for those reasons, but it does appear that he's making progress in his transition and that his talent is starting to show a little bit despite the inherently restrictive role of the position.

I remember reading a report from either Thomas or one of the other guys on the line about 2 weeks ago that seemed to address this. They went on at length about how this wasn't going to be a typical 3-4 defense where the front three just try to occupy blockers and keep them off the LBs. It would be more of an attacking 3 man front. At the time, I wrote it off as the usual off-season fluff piece, but maybe there is something to this after all.

alkemical
08-04-2009, 07:37 AM

In a way, he should do ok. He has more space around him, which could hurt him in runs going off tackle. But he could be a nice disruptor on the line.

kent156
08-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Marcus Thomas has put on a fair amount of weight. I suppose (hope) it's for football reasons. But I cannot imagine he'll be cut, there's SO little talent and experience on this line, he would seem his presence would be a borderline necessity.

The Tim Crowder comment is even more puzzling than MT. Of course tomorrow Robert Ayers is on the field for the first time, and any conjecture about Crowder is subject to where Ayers will be slotted. But please understand, Crowder is running with the 1st team 3-4 defense, and that means something. He looks better in the 3-4 than Elvis, no doubt about that. I firmly agree with SoCal, montrose an BroncoDoug... Crowder looks very good ... he drops into coverage and moves laterally into the flat very smoothly. Looks like he lost a few pounds, too. Pending Ayers' development, I feel very confident with Crowder starting at OLB in the 3-4.

I know Sandy Clough very well, I produced his first fulltime talk show at KOA, 1985-86. He has excellent sources, and his opinion is very well informed and objective. Let's examine his positioo be an here: It does looks a bit funny for MT. In two years in the league, he has more NFL starts than ALL the other D-linemen put together, and yet he's running 2nd team to street free agents like Ryan McBean. Montrose made a good point tonight ... MT might be the kinda guy who needs a 2nd team placement as motivation, and they'll use that as a tool to prod him ... then when the regular season starts, they'll promote him ahead of McBean or even Peterson.

It's entirely possible that Sandy was dropped a decoy, such that he would get word out there, further pushing Thomas, we'll see soon enough, it's just 12 days to the 49ers!

didn't Thomas question the conditioning drill yesterday maybe that has something to do with it.

DawnBTVS
08-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Glad to see LB Lee Robinson making some noise. I'm hoping he can be a potential practice squad type and good to see the ST update. Nice to see David Bruton looking good and seemingly around the ball carrier on most of the catches.

cmhargrove
08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Marcus Thomas has put on a fair amount of weight. I suppose (hope) it's for football reasons. But I cannot imagine he'll be cut, there's SO little talent and experience on this line, he would seem his presence would be a borderline necessity.

Does anyone else feel like we could field a really good 4-3 right now?

I hope the 3-4 continues to gather momentum, because I feel like it is a more flexible package for us, but From our current D-linemen it looks like we could have an awesome 4-3.

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 09:15 AM

Handful of players missing from the morning session, including Brandon Marshall, Brian Dawkins, Wesley Woodyard, Brandon Stokley, Jarvis Moss and Correll Buckhalter.

The session started out with head coach Josh McDaniels’ new emphasis on a lengthy stretching period prior to practice. The music for today’s stretching was chosen by Peyton Hillis, and featured the kind of country music you’d expect from an Arkansas boy. Hillis was especially vocal in trying his best to start a sing-along with his teammates, to the strains of Alabama’s "Song of the South." Hillis threw his arms in the air, and seemed to enjoy himself, but Lamont Jordan was later quoted to complain that Hillis’s choice of music was "unconscionable and unconstitutional."

SPECIAL TEAMS

Special teams led off this morning, punt coverage up front. Richard Quinn seems especially quick at first pounding down the edge rusher, and then immediately jetting downfield in coverage, both tasks in a single, seamless effort. David Bruton is a big kid, he also excelled in coverage. Wearing jersey #30, Bruton seemed intent on not over-pursuing, but rather watching the eyes of the returner, intent on avoiding a wide swing and big return. Seems like a smart player.

The one serious injury of the session happened when Darius Walker fielded a Britton Colquitt punt, and juked linebacker Nick Greisen so thoroughly, that Greisen badly twisted his knee flailing his arm backward reaching for Walker. Nick was carted off with what is thought to be a serious knee injury.

Eddie Royal and rookie Alphonso Smith were first in line as returners. Both have excellent hands. Brett Kern pinned Royal in the corner with a magnificently high and well-placed kick, and Smith looked to be surrounded by Mario Haggan, David Bruton and Josh Barrett, but Smith juked Barrett out of his cleats and looked to be set to outrun Haggan on the sidelines, though no contact was allowed. Rookie Kenny McKinley and speedster Chad Jackson rotated in as returners. Jackson is very, very fast. Kern was hit and miss with his punts, but we’re probably stuck with him, as Britton Colquitt doesn’t appear to be much of a threat.

OFFENSE

Of all the players on the field this morning, Peyton Hillis was the clearly the star of the show. Again and again he shot through the line ...he kept his eyes up and picked the right hole every time. His receiving was flawless, he hauled in everything thrown his way, and he turns and accelerates turns upfield very quickly. The lone moment of humuility came when Peyton knifed into the line, only be introduced to Rulon Davis, who stood him up and blew him up to major cheers from the fans.

Ryan Torain’s knee seems fine, his churning style look pretty good between the tackles, and he even seemed quick in the flats, catching one Chris Simms throw on the run and cutting past Renaldo Hill for what might’ve been a touchdown on the right Sunday. Lamont Joran is another story ... he seemd slow and out of sorts. Not sure whether his experience with McDaniels in New England will help him, but in this session he was outplayed by both Torain and Darius Walker.

Kyle Orton throws a beautiful ball, a tight spiral that was especially accurate toward the far corner of the end zone. Orton was statistically one of the best quarterbacks in the league in the red zone last year - not a single interception - and his passes there this morning showed why. Chris Simms was something of a disappointment in this session, twice actually pausing before the snap to consult the coaches behind him - once even calling a mock "timeout." Tom Brandstater has a very strong arm, probably stronger than Orton or Simms. He’s on the slim side (think of Brodie Croyle). But of course as a rookie he seemed tentative, and had very few reps from scrimmage.

The starting O-Line is of course an exemplary unit, effortly flawless in protection, and crisp in opening holes, especially for Hillis. Second-team offensive line included from left to right, Tyler Polumbus, Matt McChesney, Kory Lichtensteiger, Seth Olsen and Clint Oldenberg. Olsen is a very big boy, and Polumbus and Oldenburg are very tall. Blake Schleuter though is definitely on the small side ... probably even lighter than Ben Hamilton. Lichtensteiger seems confident and focused, though of course a bit on the short side.
Lots of flux in the WRs ... without Marshall or Stokley it’s hard to get much of a read on here they’re planning to go with this unit. Eddie Royal of course was the star receiver today, no surprise there, though he did uncharacteristically drop one catchable ball. Gaffney and Lloyd seem competent, though neither inspire confidence in a starting role. Neither Kenny McKinley nor Chad Jackson did too much from scrimmage, though as mentioned they were active in punt return drills.

Daniel Graham caught one ball, but Richard Quinn none today. Tony Scheffler was very active in pass receiving. He dropped a very catchable touchdown pass to the groans of some 200-300 fans on the hill, but caught several other balls including a nice one over his shoulder from Chris Simms.

NEXT: Defense, 11-on-11, and Skirmishes (fights).

I like your style, Buff.

Cito Pelon
08-04-2009, 09:26 AM

Seems like this will be a good O. They have a lot of weapons. I'm sure the O staff is downright giddy about their options and depth of skill.

s0phr0syne
08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Does anyone else feel like we could field a really good 4-3 right now?

I hope the 3-4 continues to gather momentum, because I feel like it is a more flexible package for us, but From our current D-linemen it looks like we could have an awesome 4-3.

haha, I've been thinking this for some time now. Glad I'm not alone!

Our 4-3 for the last few years has been lacking some bulk up front, and stability in the LB corps. We've addressed both of those areas extensively this offseason in transitioning to the 3-4, but the problem is that we don't really have the talent (in my estimation) for a good 3-4.

Fields, Thomas, and Powell would have given us a solid 3 DT rotation, with either Askew, McBean, or Baker providing a 4th. Peterson could have been a very solid LDE, swinging inside with Thomas in nickel situations to play a Justin Tuck-type role, with Reid as his primary backup there. At RDE, we could have played the better of Ayers and Crowder, while subbing in Dumervil on nickel situations. I think that's a pretty solid front 4 right there. In size, we would have upgraded tremendously, and we'd still have Pedescleaux's mighty athleticism to develop under a good DL coach.

In the LBs, we'd finally have a good middle thumper with Davis, with DJ in his weakside position. We'd still have some question marks with or SLB, but Woodyard, Lee Robinson, Griesen (pre-injury) and hell, maybe even Barrett could have competed there.

The aggressive way that the staff addressed the secondary would still be the same, and we'd be in pretty good shape to add pieces in subsequent years...