PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Stokley said Orton's passes have been impressive.

80smith
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
"Bold names:
August 2, 2009
Orton makes solid early impression in Denver

While Cutler mania is in full swing in Bourbonnais, the Kyle Orton Era has begun for Jay Cutler's old team, the Denver Broncos.

The former Bear, traded for Cutler, entered training camp as the starting quarterback for the first time since his days at Purdue. He is taking his new job seriously.

"Obviously it's a big mental year for me learning a new system, so I don't have the ability to relax," Orton said. "I have to stay up on it the entire time."

And how are the Broncos taking to Orton?

"He's a leader," center Casey Wiegmann said. "He definitely knows what he's doing."

Receiver Brandon Stokley said Orton's passes have been impressive.

"He surprised me the first time I saw him throw the ball. He really throws a really good ball," Stokley said. "A nice spiral. Receivers don't like the ball too hard or too soft, just a nice speed, that's a good, catchable ball."

-- Tribune news services"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-02-rowboldnamesaug02,0,3086059.story

Outside of the Whitesox beating the yanks, this was a good little read this morning.....

Rabb
08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
awesome

*queue the "what else would his team mates say about him publicly" crowd*

manchambo
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I wonder if the "too hard" reference is a subtle jab at Cutler?

ghwk
08-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Boy if that doesn't fall into the "damned with faint praise" category...

Man-Goblin
08-02-2009, 10:38 PM
"she has a GREAT personality!"

underrated29
08-02-2009, 10:45 PM

Why would it be?

I mean i am sure it is in reference to Jay. But a QB who throws a hard ball, thats not a negative. I understand brandons point, but i dont think its a jab at jay. just more of a comparison.

BroncoMan4ever
08-03-2009, 12:14 AM

i think so, i mean in a way it is nice to have the ability to throw a ball through a brick wall, but every play probably starts to be a pain in the ass for the receivers.

BroncoMan4ever
08-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Why would it be?

I mean i am sure it is in reference to Jay. But a QB who throws a hard ball, thats not a negative. I understand brandons point, but i dont think its a jab at jay. just more of a comparison.

i think it is a shot at Jay, not making him out to be bad because of the hard passes, but it is hard for a receiver to handle a pass coming at them that hard.

it isn't a negative, but it isn't necessary every pass

lex
08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
i think it is a shot at Jay, not making him out to be bad because of the hard passes, but it is hard for a receiver to handle a pass coming at them that hard.

it isn't a negative, but it isn't necessary every pass

Well it should also make it harder for the defense to catch, especially since the defense typically has worst hands than the WRs. I remember this being discussed when Elway played.

Hulamau
08-03-2009, 12:53 AM

You think? ...... :thumbsup:

Blueflame
08-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Well it should also make it harder for the defense to catch, especially since the defense typically has worst hands than the WRs. I remember this being discussed when Elway played.

Yeah, seems that I remember something about the "Elway cross" (the bruise that resulted if the end of the football contacted the receiver's skin).

Doggcow
08-03-2009, 01:10 AM
What is this garbage? McDaniels is an idiot though right? Since Stokes likes Orton he must be an idiot.

Stokley knows nothing about catching passes from quality QB's this is all garbage.

RIGHT? RIGHT?

kent156
08-03-2009, 04:50 AM
didn't stokley compare cutler to peyton last year in camp

Beantown Bronco
08-03-2009, 07:20 AM
"He surprised me the first time I saw him throw the ball. He really throws a really good ball," Stokley said. "A nice spiral. Receivers don't like the ball too hard or too soft, just a nice speed, that's a good, catchable ball."

Someone needs to tell the Bears WRs, who were at the top of the league in dropped passes during Orton's tenure there.

Punisher
08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
I drink the KoolAid right now but i want too see how he does in Pre-Season before anything

oubronco
08-03-2009, 07:28 AM
didn't stokley compare cutler to peyton last year in camp

Yes he did and now I suppose Orton is the next Montana ::)

Captain 'Dre
08-03-2009, 08:45 AM
It's good to hear this from Stokeley, but... what else is the guy going to say? Ha!

It wouldn't be actual news unless Stokeley said something like "Orton throws like a pansy!" Hilarious!

Captain 'Dre
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
"she has a GREAT personality!"

"And she's an excellent cook!" ROFL!

Punisher
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
It's good to hear this from Stokeley, but... what else is the guy going to say? Ha!

It wouldn't be actual news unless Stokeley said something like "Orton throws like a pansy!" Hilarious!

Breaking News Stokeley "Orton throws like a pansy!"

TonyR
08-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Someone needs to tell the Bears WRs, who were at the top of the league in dropped passes during Orton's tenure there.

I think this has a lot more to do with the fact that they suck than Orton's throws.

crowebomber
08-03-2009, 09:10 AM
"Yeah, guys don't always like a ball zipped in there," said Stokely. "Orton throws it nice and soft, like my daughter, so when I catch the ball I think of her and it makes me happy."

ikiru
08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
not sure what to make of this. I remember hearing once a commentator saying that, according to the receivers he interveiwed, Brian Greise threw the most catchable ball in the league.

azbroncfan
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
There probably is some truth behind a weaker ball being easier to catch than a bullet. It's not a jab at Cutler because it would be kind of stupid to knock arm strength. He is just saying Orton has been good so far.

Don Flamenco
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
What is this garbage? McDaniels is an idiot though right? Since Stokes likes Orton he must be an idiot.

Stokley knows nothing about catching passes from quality QB's this is all garbage.

RIGHT? RIGHT?

Yes, you are right on! McDaniels rulez~!

Pony Boy
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Most DB's like a nice soft spiral, it's easier to get a jump it.

Captain 'Dre
08-06-2009, 01:07 PM
There probably is some truth behind a weaker ball being easier to catch than a bullet. It's not a jab at Cutler because it would be kind of stupid to knock arm strength. He is just saying Orton has been good so far.

There is such a thing as putting 'touch' on the ball, and Jay Cutler saw no use for it.

Sure, it's great to be able to rocket one in there when the situation and coverage call for it, but if the circumstances DON'T demand it, it makes more sense to throw a 'catchable' ball, not a laser.

I recall John Madden mentioning during the season finale debacle in San Diego that Brandon Marshall had 15 drops going into that game, which was the same number of drops the Chargers had as a TEAM.

A smarter QB adjusts, and develops touch. But Jay insread bragged about how nobody (ever, I guess) had a stronger arm than him.

Jay was/is a putz, and more people seem to accept that now.

barryr
08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Some QB's with big arms think they can make any throw and take risks when the gain isn't that big in the first place. Risk/reward, QB's need to learn that part of being a QB and Cutler is no different.