PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper Player(s) of the Year

BroncoMan4ever
08-02-2009, 07:04 PM
With camp reports coming in daily now(Thanks to all reporters by the way), I feel it is time to name the player currently as a late round pick, backup, FA, anyone not currently planned to be a major contributor to the team.

Last season guys like Hillis, Larsen, Woodyard, and to a point Royal(early draft pick but we only planned on him being a return man) all in a way came from out of nowhere and became extremely valuable members of the team.

So with that in mind, who are going to be the guys this year?

Right now, I believe that guy is going to be Barrett

TheReverend
08-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Pre-season first for christ's sake...

BroncoMan4ever
08-02-2009, 08:23 PM

don't be such a downer, just enjoy camp and quit taking things so damn seriously all the time. especially since it is only days away from someone being ordained the next coming. someone will be Hixoned or Mother****ered in the coming days, so before all that stuff comes out, pick a player you feel will be a solid contributor, and if you feel it is too early, or have nothing to contribute, DON'T POST

rugbythug
08-02-2009, 08:49 PM

For Sure can we just stop this Fan Speculation it is unbearable.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
does crowda count? Or has he already broken out of the sleeper category?

I think larsen, if he counts. Not for his FB work but his SILB. I liked him a lot there last year. And if i understand the 3-4 correctly and Nolans version. Larsens main job would be to stuff the run. THat guy hits like truck. He really brings the pain. I think the opposing RBs would decide to run away from him after a few licks.

If not i go Jordan, assuming he has a role once know showsup

Williams
08-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not ready to make any guesses, but I really hope Chris Baker plays well. By far my favorite UDFA signing. Seems we could use a good surprise most on the DL.

Anaximines
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I say Gaffney

Majik
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Team/2009/greisen_nick_mug09.jpg
Nick Greisen

BroncoMan4ever
08-02-2009, 11:09 PM
does crowda count? Or has he already broken out of the sleeper category?

I think larsen, if he counts. Not for his FB work but his SILB. I liked him a lot there last year. And if i understand the 3-4 correctly and Nolans version. Larsens main job would be to stuff the run. THat guy hits like truck. He really brings the pain. I think the opposing RBs would decide to run away from him after a few licks.

If not i go Jordan, assuming he has a role once know showsup

i say he counts. last season the astounding majority had labeled him a bust, but now according to reports he is looking good for camp. so since he was a guy coming out of nowhere in a way i say he counts

i like the Larsen pick

DivineLegion
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Im going to go with a tandem if you guys dont mind, Renaldo Hill at FS and Andre Goodman at corner. Both players played together with the dolphins last season in a not to unfamiliar environment with the same sort of locker room atmosphere that is seemingly turning this team around. Goodman came on strong last year with the Dolphins when Hill started getting more snaps at Safety, half way through the season the Dolphins D really amped it up, and these guys were a major factor. If you get a chance to watch the dolphins Ravens playoff game on NFL network you will see what im saying they already have the chemistry in a very similar defense, so dont be surprised when these two new broncos are ridding high at seasons end.

uplink
08-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Alphonso Smith! I think he'll end up a starter this year and maybe sooner rather than later.

montrose
08-03-2009, 05:19 AM
1) Tim Crowder
2) Ronnie Fields
3) Jabar Gaffney

oubronco
08-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Tim "The Chowder" Crowder

lostknight
08-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Alphonso Smith! I think he'll end up a starter this year and maybe sooner rather than later.

Alphonso Smith is virtually a first draft pick. Doesn't qualify.

Slade
08-03-2009, 08:01 AM
1. Tim Crowder
2. Alphonso Smith
3. Jabar Gaffney

titan
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Deep sleeper - I like Kenny McKinley. I followed South Carolina closely last year and McKinley was hurt most of the season (had a hamstring pull early) - I think that made him slip in the draft. His junior year was much better.

I've read the Eddie Royal comparisons - when I saw McKinley at practice last night he reminded me of old time Bronco Mark Jackson. Not very big but quick with good hands. He's not going to get alot of catches with the team's depth at receiver but I can see him making some big plays in 3 or 4 wide receiver sets.

HooptyHoops
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Alphonso Smith is virtually a first draft pick. Doesn't qualify.

Yes, but to call him out to be the starter falls under the sleeper radar...most people(including me) still think he might be a #3 CB at best...

TheReverend
08-03-2009, 08:09 AM
don't be such a downer, just enjoy camp and quit taking things so damn seriously all the time. especially since it is only days away from someone being ordained the next coming. someone will be Hixoned or Mother****ered in the coming days, so before all that stuff comes out, pick a player you feel will be a solid contributor, and if you feel it is too early, or have nothing to contribute, DON'T POST

You realize the Hixon and JMFW thing were jokes, right? No one really counted on them as sleeper players...

As far as guys like Woodyard and Royal go... the camp reports weren't glowing about them. In fact, people were shocked that Shanahan was praising Royal and putting him in the starting line-up so fast, and Woodyard's concensus was that he wasn't practicing well.

These guys earned their fan adoration in pre-season.

e-mac
08-03-2009, 08:21 AM
1.Nate Swift...sleeper KR/PR good size for a project WR
2.Rulon Davis...makes 53 man roster in RDE rotation and STs play
3.Mario Haggan...can play SOLB/SILB/STs McD loves slash players

bpc
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Lonnie Paxton

You snap those balls son!

BroncoMan4ever
08-03-2009, 02:48 PM
You realize the Hixon and JMFW thing were jokes, right? No one really counted on them as sleeper players...

As far as guys like Woodyard and Royal go... the camp reports weren't glowing about them. In fact, people were shocked that Shanahan was praising Royal and putting him in the starting line-up so fast, and Woodyard's concensus was that he wasn't practicing well.

yes i knew they were jokes, i am simply pointing out this is all in fun, not to be taken seriously the same as the jokes of Hixon and Mother****er.

and yes i know it is really early, but considering every other thread is doom and gloom about injuries, marshall being a punk, Jay being a bitch, or McDaniels being an evil son of a bitch who is going to destroy this team to the point of the franchise having to be relocated, i feel a simple thread where fans can chime in on guys they are pulling for or have high hopes for is better than reading another bad thread

TheReverend
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
yes i knew they were jokes, i am simply pointing out this is all in fun, not to be taken seriously the same as the jokes of Hixon and Mother****er.

and yes i know it is really early, but considering every other thread is doom and gloom about injuries, marshall being a punk, Jay being a b****, or McDaniels being an evil son of a b**** who is going to destroy this team to the point of the franchise having to be relocated, i feel a simple thread where fans can chime in on guys they are pulling for or have high hopes for is better than reading another bad thread

??? Camp reports are out and optimism is flowing. As for, "it's early, but", yeah it's a cute game to play, but it's a little better if you've seen them take an actual snap in the NFL instead of just having read a few sentences about it. It'll still be 99% guesswork when pre-season rolls around, but this is a new level of absurd.

colonelbeef
08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
although he is already a contributor, I could see Dumervil surprising people and remaining a playmaker even though his position and role has changed. Dude has a motor and just does not give up on plays

BroncoMan4ever
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
although he is already a contributor, I could see Dumervil surprising people and remaining a playmaker even though his position and role has changed. Dude has a motor and just does not give up on plays

i truly believe if given a true shot and a little time to get used to being an OLB he could become an elite pass rusher in the NFL

colonelbeef
08-04-2009, 06:26 AM
i truly believe if given a true shot and a little time to get used to being an OLB he could become an elite pass rusher in the NFL

totally agree. He is one of those guys that forever draws inspiration from being told he is too small.

vancejohnson82
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Those were jokes?

I thought Hixon really did sleep under the Boogeyman's bed

Rock Chalk
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
From what I've seen so far:

Kenny McKinley
Alphonso Smith
Tim Crowder
Gaffney
Buckhalter

I think those guys are going to make the most impact on the team this year.
McKinley will make a few key clutch plays we need him to make when he gets his opportunity
Smith is going to make a lot of game breaking plays
Crowder will be one of the surprise of the NFL this year
Gaffney probably wont wow us, but he will be an excellent 3rd receiver for us
Buckhalter will beat out Torain and Moreno and be the "starting" back at the beginning of the season. Hillis will be primarily used as "FB" but will be running the ball a lot and catching a lot of passes out of the backfield. With a Buckhalter/Hillis combo, our run game and short passing game is going to be one of the best in the NFL.

BroncoMan4ever
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
From what I've seen so far:

Kenny McKinley
Alphonso Smith
Tim Crowder
Gaffney
Buckhalter

I think those guys are going to make the most impact on the team this year.
McKinley will make a few key clutch plays we need him to make when he gets his opportunity
Smith is going to make a lot of game breaking plays
Crowder will be one of the surprise of the NFL this year
Gaffney probably wont wow us, but he will be an excellent 3rd receiver for us
Buckhalter will beat out Torain and Moreno and be the "starting" back at the beginning of the season. Hillis will be primarily used as "FB" but will be running the ball a lot and catching a lot of passes out of the backfield. With a Buckhalter/Hillis combo, our run game and short passing game is going to be one of the best in the NFL.

can a guy like Crowder win comeback player of the year?

2KBack
08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
can a guy like Crowder win comeback player of the year?

I think you have to have actually been something to comeback to it