PDA

View Full Version : SoCal's 8/2 PM Report

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 07:20 PM
This was a laid back practice as compared with the morning session and was somewhat shorter in length as well.

I can't really go position by position like my morning report because the offense spent a considerable portion of time running routes and plays "on air" (ie no opponent) and the defense was on the other field installing fronts (using rubber trash bins as OL).

There was good 11 on 11 activity toward the end of practice, although Brandstater took all the snaps for the offense (that I could see) and it was generally a mix of the 2nd and 3rd teams against each other on each side of the ball.

I had the pleasure of meeting two maners for the very first time: Alec and anthonypacino. It was fun to see the faces behind the posts. Alec has a very beautiful family. He had all his little girls wearing Bronco gear.

There was a couple funny things people were wearing. Some guy was wearing a Bears Cutler jersey and he got some **** from the crowd (including Alec :). There was also someone wearing an orange Mario Fetafehi jersey, which I wasn't aware existed. ;D

Now, on to substance:

I. SCREENS, NON-TRADITIONAL OFFENSE INSTALLATION

The offense appeared to be installing alot of non-traditional stuff this practice. There was yet another long period devoted to a number of different types of screens: middle screens, bubble screens, quick screens and jailbreak screens to backs. Alec observed that they also ran a direct snap play at least once. In addition, I noticed a HB pitch back to the QB for a deep throw pass was installed.

Not surprisingly, in the screen period, Royal was featured heavily. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of Royal's TD's this year are the result of taking a properly blocked screen to the house. I suspect the screen passes will also be the chief response used to constant blitzing, rather than trying to complete a hot pass, or loading up the protection. They also put in some WR motion (not traditional motion, much deeper in the backfield) on basic runs to hold the backside DE from crashing down the line. As you may recall, we did this a little bit in the past, although not alot. In 2006 at Pittsburgh, Javon Walker scored on one of these plays where the QB faked the handoff to the back and instead pitched it to the WR going the opposite way.

Before they got to the 11 on 11 which was basically all snaps for Brandstater, they let Simms get some action and he had a bad center exchange, again. They need to correct this problem. In this practice, pretty much all the starters were on the sidelines. I guess they wanted to get the depth some reps. Stokley made some grabs on endzone drills on air. I believe Alec noted that they also put in some Wildcat stuff.

There continues to be a ton of stretch drills done. There's a real emphasis on that.

11 on 11- As noted above, it was mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers against each other. Larsen made a great impression initially blowing up two plays consecutively. Hopefully he'll stay at SILB. Brandstater is a very shaky passer and has a long way to go. He's built well, but he's hesitant and had some passes broken up. To be fair, he's a late round rookie and the transition from the WAC to the NFL is a steep one. Rookie Chris Baker stuffed Torain on a run, as did Crowder (when he was out there with the 2nd defense). Torain did have a nice 6 yard cutback, however. The play of the session involved rookies Kenny McKinley and Req's boy, Tony Carter (short but quick UDFA CB from FSU). McKinley ran a comeback route, Carter had excellent positioning and broke up the play, at least momentarily. The ball appeared to bounce up off one of their helmets and McKinley had the concetration to haul it in with Carter all over him. Both of them deserve a bravo for that nice play. The crowd definitely enjoyed it.

That's all for now.

Oh and Nick, please don't be down on yourself. The comment was harmless and the team overreacted. I look forward to seeing you back....please do not leave, man. You're a great guy and a great fan. Keep your head up, everything's gonna be fine. We can report just as well without the passes. We don't need them, anyway. Everything will be ok in the end, bro. :thumbsup:

broncosteven
08-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I wish Anthony Pacino would post here more often.

Love me some Alec and AP! Though Alec is FG.

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
How did Crowder look?

Rock Chalk
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Im going to give the few thoughts I had as there really wasn't a lot going on as SoCal noted.

SoCal is right, the Carter/McKinney sequence was the best play of the afternoon. Carter made an excellent play on the ball but a really heads up and aware MicKinney followed the ball down and then turned it up field.

Play would normally not have been a completion but for some great focus on McKinney's part. Loud cheers all around for both players from the fans.

Me and SoCal talked about it, and Brandstater is a definite project. He does however, show some good velocity on the ball and has a great NFL QB body. Tall and sturdy. Work on his footwork and his awareness and he might not be a bad NFL player in 4 years or so.

Both Simms and Orton were "ho-hum" this evening but I think it was more because it wasn't really an intense practice - seemed to me an install. Not much to go off of, but it seemed to me from what I could see that the air drills were designed to go to the second and third guys as both Simms and Orton were not passing to their first targets. I do not know if this was by design or not but I liked it. Nothing pisses me off more than staring down a target and this "drill" (if that was what it was) is a good way to help the QBs train themselves to see the field.

Camp started rather interesting though. Punt plays. Only, they were installing two specific plays. The first was mostly coverage and rush assignments for both teams on a typical punt play.

The other was a driect snap to Alphonso Smith who had an option to run or hit Hillis who snuck out (every time btw, he got open). The "Brown" formation looked interesting. At first I thought it was the wildcat till I noticed the punter still back there so it looks like they at least have a plan in place for the occassional fake punt. Might not use it, but if we do it looks like it will be effective because both Smith and Hills got good yardage out of the play. On 4th and short it might be a good option for us once or twice a year.

One note, during excersize time, David Bruton is the laziest player on the field. Dude was dogging it and was the player closest to us. Every other person doing the stretches and high steps and sprints was giving it their all (or near it) but Bruton didn't seem like he wanted to be here.

**** the Bears Cutler jersey wearin douche.

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
How did Crowder look?

He had that great stuff on Torain but I did not notice him besides that (they only ran about 20 of those 11 on 11 plays anyway....outside of that the whole defense was on the other field installing fronts).

DelBronco
08-02-2009, 07:40 PM
SoCal, just out of curiosity who did they have as the "QB" if you will during the wildcat formations? Royal I'd guess?

Thanks a lot for the reports guys.

24champ
08-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Did you guys see McKinely's catch? Holy Batman! Wow, talk about a grab.

Pretty boring PM session, but I took a couple pics...post those in a few.

BlaK-Argentina
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys!

s0phr0syne
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
They've got the McKinley-Carter play video up at Denverbroncos.com:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

R8R H8R
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM
There was good 11 on 11 activity toward the end of practice, although Brandstater took all the snaps for the offense (that I could see) and it was generally a mix of the 2nd and 3rd teams against each other on each side of the ball.

There continues to be a ton of stretch drills done. There's a real emphasis on that.

11 on 11- As noted above, it was mostly 2nd and 3rd teamers against each other. Larsen made a great impression initially blowing up two plays consecutively. Hopefully he'll stay at SILB. Brandstater is a very shaky passer and has a long way to go. He's built well, but he's hesitant and had some passes broken up. To be fair, he's a late round rookie and the transition from the WAC to the NFL is a steep one. Rookie Chris Baker stuffed Torain on a run, as did Crowder (when he was out there with the 2nd defense). Torain did have a nice 6 yard cutback, however. The play of the session involved rookies Kenny McKinley and Req's boy, Tony Carter (short but quick UDFA CB from FSU). McKinley ran a comeback route, Carter had excellent positioning and broke up the play, at least momentarily. The ball appeared to bounce up off one of their helmets and McKinley had the concetration to haul it in with Carter all over him. Both of them deserve a bravo for that nice play. The crowd definitely enjoyed it.

That's all for now.

Oh and Nick, please don't be down on yourself. The comment was harmless and the team overreacted. I look forward to seeing you back....please do not leave, man. You're a great guy and a great fan. Keep your head up, everything's gonna be fine. We can report just as well without the passes. We don't need them, anyway. Everything will be ok in the end, bro. :thumbsup:

Thanks So Cal, I think I can speak for all of us here, you guys and all your work is really appreciated.

I seem to hear McKinley's name a lot in these reports. Does he seem to be a gamer, and maybe a sleeper in the draft? I don't want to curse him with a Royal comparison, but it seems like he is making strides. What's your assessment?

Oh, and I agree with you about APA, I hope he changes his mind. He was making a joke and somebody got offended. I'm sure you guys will get your passes back soon; let's hope. :thumbsup:

TheReverend
08-02-2009, 07:53 PM
One note, during excersize time, David Bruton is the laziest player on the field. Dude was dogging it and was the player closest to us. Every other person doing the stretches and high steps and sprints was giving it their all (or near it) but Bruton didn't seem like he wanted to be here.

That surprises me not one bit.

titan
08-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I was there tonight and must have been real close to you (a few feet away from the family with little girls dressed in Bronco gear).

I don't have much to add to what was said already - relaxed practice with the scrimmage featuring 2nd and 3rd teamers. I was impressed with Kenny McKinley the most.

I posted a couple of pictures I took tonight on my blog:

http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

Rock Chalk
08-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I was there tonight and must have been real close to you (a few feet away from the family with little girls dressed in Bronco gear).

I don't have much to add to what was said already - relaxed practice with the scrimmage featuring 2nd and 3rd teamers. I was impressed with Kenny McKinley the most.

That was me. ALl my girls had their bronco cheerleader dresses on.

broncosteven
08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
That was me. ALl my girls had their bronco cheerleader dresses on.

Plus he was the guy who said ****ing gay All practice.

24champ
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingcamp4003.jpg

Just for you Req, Crowder.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingcamp4002.jpg

Brandstater doing pre-snap reads/audibles

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/trainingcamp4001.jpg

Quinn Blocking.

DeusExManning
08-02-2009, 09:18 PM

You make a great comparison to the 77 broncos on your blog and it should be reprinted in full

titan
08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
You make a great comparison to the 77 broncos on your blog and it should be reprinted in full

I did post a copy of my blog post on the Mane a few days ago (the comparison to the 77 broncos):

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2486869#post2486869

lex
08-02-2009, 09:54 PM
This post is being delayed pending approval of Pat Bowlen and the Denver Broncos.

Kaylore
08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
i wish anthony pacino would post here more often.

this

Boss Man
08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey what time does camp start in the AM. Im going to be making it up there tommorow, gonna try and make it up a few times this week as this will probably be my last go around since i have joined the air force. thanks brahs

Oh yeah should i get there early for a better seat?

Los Broncos
08-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks Socal, I live for this stuff, good job.

24champ
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey what time does camp start in the AM. Im going to be making it up there tommorow, gonna try and make it up a few times this week as this will probably be my last go around since i have joined the air force. thanks brahs

8:45 and yeah leave early for a good seat.

Rock Chalk
08-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Show up at LEAST 30 minutes early.

Boss Man
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Show up at LEAST 30 minutes early.

so if i was there at about 8 ill be good? do they still walk you in and make you sit were they want. or can you sit were you want now?

Hogan11
08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Great reports as always guys, many thanks!

I wish Anthony Pacino would post here more often.

One of the "11's" and a very cool guy who I always look forward to seeing on OMane Weekend. He definitely needs to post more often.

cutthemdown
08-03-2009, 01:16 AM

I just read that and it was one of the better articles I have read about the upcoming season in any media. That was a really good observation and a great read.

JCMElway
08-03-2009, 01:22 AM
That surprises me not one bit.

I thought Bruton was supposed to be a Special Teams ace? That's the first bad word I've heard about him so far.

lex
08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Im guessing Chris Baker is playing NT? If so, NT is starting to become more intriguing because it seems like on 2 or 3 different occasions, Ive heard of Chris Baker making a play when I havent really heard anything about Fields. At the same time, it seems like the running game has been alarmingly effective. Im curious to know what is going on at NT.

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Im guessing Chris Baker is playing NT? If so, NT is starting to become more intriguing because it seems like on 2 or 3 different occasions, Ive heard of Chris Baker making a play when I havent really heard anything about Fields. At the same time, it seems like the running game has been alarmingly effective. Im curious to know what is going on at NT.

Baker gets to play a lot more vs the 2nd and 3rd teams. He is not very consistent at this point either. The DTs aren't really going to make a bunch of plays in this defense so hearing their names called shouldn't be an expectation. We know going in that we don't have a Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton.

elpasojoe
08-03-2009, 09:26 AM
SoCal thanks about the information about AnthonyPacino, haven't seen him post lately. Glad to hear you are still around.

lex
08-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Baker gets to play a lot more vs the 2nd and 3rd teams. He is not very consistent at this point either. The DTs aren't really going to make a bunch of plays in this defense so hearing their names called shouldn't be an expectation. We know going in that we don't have a Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton.

No, I understand that their primary job is to tie up blockers but, as I also mentioned, it seems like the running game is having a lot of success against the defensive front. Has Fields been at all effective or is he routinely getting shoved around?

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 09:30 AM
No, I understand that their primary job is to tie up blockers but, as I also mentioned, it seems like the running game is having a lot of success against the defensive front. Has Fields been at all effective or is he routinely getting shoved around?

Lex, I'm not an expert in the 3-4 so I can't tell you for sure who is responsible... but there has been some running room up the middle. Fields and Baker are both being double teamed every play. I've witnessed that. But I'm still not sure if the defense is bad or if our OL is bad to the bone??? SoCal and I noticed yesterday that they were running a number of different misdirection plays up the middle. Different from what we've seen in the past.

lex
08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Lex, I'm not an expert in the 3-4 so I can't tell you for sure who is responsible... but there has been some running room up the middle. Fields and Baker are both being double teamed every play. I've witnessed that. But I'm still not sure if the defense is bad or if our OL is bad to the bone??? SoCal and I noticed yesterday that they were running a number of different misdirection plays up the middle. Different from what we've seen in the past.

OK, well I believe counters are typically supposed to be effective against the 3-4. Hmm...I wonder if its the LBs.