PDA

View Full Version : Orangemane Reports: 8/2 AM SoCal and OSKIE

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry folks, we just got back in after a quick bite to eat.

Reports to follow.

Initial tidbit:

Marshall appeared to leave the field about halfway through practice. OSKIE observed he was grimacing. Coach McD did not know what the problem was post-practice but they were going to check on it.

We also got interviews (non audio however) with Kenny McKinley and Tim Crowder.

Requiem
08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Awesome, thanks a lot SoCal and Oskie. Kenny and Timmy are my bois.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Eating? There's no eating in camp reporting..... (my best Tom Hanks voice)

Well, I'm about to run out, so I guess I won't see the report for a while. Looking forward to reading it.

Cmac821
08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I appreciate the reports but please no teasing. Post the whole thing or don't mention it ;D. Just messing with you, can't wait to read the report.

KS Bronco
08-02-2009, 11:18 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/02/brandon-marshall-limps-off-the-practice-field/

NYBronco
08-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Quick throw money at Marshall so the injury goes away and all is happy in Bronco land.

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:24 AM
SOCAL'S 8/2 AM REPORT PART I

I. INITIAL THOUGHTS RE: PRACTICE STYLE/STRUCTURE- It definitely appears to be a different brand of practice under McDaniels. There is more of an emphasis on stretching. The team spent a considerable amount of time doing stretching and warm up drills, progressing each segment into a warm-up drill but with more and more football related aspects to it. Just a funny little aside, OSKIE and I noticed that #66 Lonnie Paxton looked kind of fat...we nicknamed him "Bob". :)

The large majority of practice today was devoted to positional and group drills rather than 11 on 11s or 7 on 7s, although the latter was prevalent near the end of practice. We noticed Coach Martindale going through tackling techniques with the linebackers. The defense on the whole also worked on a drill that appeared to emphasize horizontal movement.

The offense spent a period working on "Routes on Air". Nolan was spotted with the 1st and 2nd team front seven working on installation of blitzes and coordinating stunts. The offense spent some time working on Jumbo formations and runs out of those sets. I noticed some more counter plays than we were used to, as well as tosses. The team huddled and sang Happy Birthday to a player, we weren't sure who it was, thought it was punter Britton Colquitt. Marshall was kind of clowning around during the initial warm up period, stealing Polumbus and then Hamilton's helmets and tossing them aside.

The staff was utilizing a combine-like drill with the WRs using cones and having a WR run through a set of cones catching the ball at least twice within one drill. I believe these were designed to sharpen the cuts and breaks.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Both of them had their upsides and downsides today. For awhile, Simms showed some good velocity on his intermediate range passes, although in 11 on 11s, he was inaccurate on an intermediate throw and was saved by rookie WR Nate Swift. But he struggled mightily throwing deep balls. There was a period when they threw exclusively to WRs on the "Routes on Air" vs. no defender and Simms was quite inaccurate on the deep passes, underthrowing Marshall by a few yards on one in particular. He also had some center exchange problems and he as well as Weigmann were forced to run a lap. I was impressed by Simms during a drill they ran that supposedly simulated pressure up the middle where they had to get out of the pocket and hit a WR on the sideline. I thought he showed some good mobility. Orton was not as mobile in this drill, but he was clearly better then Simms in terms of timing and accuracy on the deep balls. He connected several times with Royal in particular. When they got to the actual 11 on 11's, he connected with Royal on a corner route and the crowd cheered. I thought his decision making in the actual 11 on 11 was a bit spotty, however, as he took some risks with the ball and Dawkins almost had a pick as a result. He did a nice job of throwing the underneath routes, however. I did not notice Brandstater too much, except that I believe Alphonso Smith had an interception on one of his throws.

II. RUNNING BACKS- I thought Correll Buckhalter was most impressive with his explosion and burst. The team used him on toss plays to the outside often and more often than not he was able to beat the defense to the corner. He was less successful inside, but there was a single inside run in which he did display some nice shiftiness in traffic. LaMont Jordan and Torain were used on most of the inside run plays. I thought both looked decent. Darius Walker also had a couple of nice runs although he was running against the 2nd or 3rd defensive unit. Hillis and Larsen also got some carries. Hillis is going to be a great weapon on screens. The team devoted some good time to the screen game today and Hillis took one for a long gain just before the play was going to get blown up by Barrett.

DBroncos4life
08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
socal's 8/2 am report part i

i. Initial thoughts re: Practice style/structure- it definitely appears to be a different brand of practice under mcdaniels. There is more of an emphasis on stretching. The team spent a considerable amount of time doing stretching and warm up drills, progressing each segment into a warm-up drill but with more and more football related aspects to it. Just a funny little aside, oskie and i noticed that #66 lonnie paxton looked kind of fat...we nicknamed him "bob". :)

the large majority of practice today was devoted to positional and group drills rather than 11 on 11s or 7 on 7s, although the latter was prevalent near the end of practice. We noticed coach martindale going through tackling techniques with the linebackers. The defense on the whole also worked on a drill that appeared to emphasize horizontal movement.

The offense spent a period working on "routes on air". Nolan was spotted with the 1st and 2nd team front seven working on installation of blitzes and coordinating stunts. The offense spent some time working on jumbo formations and runs out of those sets. I noticed some more counter plays than we were used to, as well as tosses. The team huddled and sang happy birthday to a player, we weren't sure who it was, thought it was punter britton colquitt. Marshall was kind of clowning around during the initial warm up period, stealing polumbus and then hamilton's helmets and tossing them aside.

The staff was utilizing a combine-like drill with the wrs using cones and having a wr run through a set of cones catching the ball at least twice within one drill. I believe these were designed to sharpen the cuts and breaks.

Ii. Quarterbacks- both of them had their upsides and downsides today. For awhile, simms showed some good velocity on his intermediate range passes, although in 11 on 11s, he was inaccurate on an intermediate throw and was saved by rookie wr nate swift. But he struggled mightily throwing deep balls. There was a period when they threw exclusively to wrs on the "routes on air" vs. No defender and simms was quite inaccurate on the deep passes, underthrowing marshall by a few yards on one in particular. He also had some center exchange problems and he as well as weigmann were forced to run a lap. I was impressed by simms during a drill they ran that supposedly simulated pressure up the middle where they had to get out of the pocket and hit a wr on the sideline. I thought he showed some good mobility. Orton was not as mobile in this drill, but he was clearly better then simms in terms of timing and accuracy on the deep balls. He connected several times with royal in particular. When they got to the actual 11 on 11's, he connected with royal on a corner route and the crowd cheered. I thought his decision making in the actual 11 on 11 was a bit spotty, however, as he took some risks with the ball and dawkins almost had a pick as a result. He did a nice job of throwing the underneath routes, however. I did not notice brandstater too much, except that i believe alphonso smith had an interception on one of his throws.

Ii. Running backs- i thought correll buckhalter was most impressive with his explosion and burst. The team used him on toss plays to the outside often and more often than not he was able to beat the defense to the corner. He was less successful inside, but there was a single inside run in which he did display some nice shiftiness in traffic. Lamont jordan and torain were used on most of the inside run plays. I thought both looked decent. Darius walker also had a couple of nice runs although he was running against the 2nd or 3rd defensive unit. Hillis and larsen also got some carries. Hillis is going to be a great weapon on screens. The team devoted some good time to the screen game today and hillis took one for a long gain just before the play was going to get blown up by barrett.

8')

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:31 AM
III. WIDE RECIEVERS and TIGHT ENDS- As noted above, about halfway through the practice, Marshall appeared to leave with some kind of injury, although we don't know much about it. When they started scrimmaging against the defense, the first unit consisted of Gaffney and Royal. Royal was an absolute stud. He caught several deep balls and screen passes. I think he will be used quite effectively on screens. There was a screen in particular that the team installed that was very reminsicent of something that Kentucky used to run in the late 1990s. They faked the handoff to the back in the shotgun going one way to get the LBs to shuffle to the right and threw back the other way with the inside reciever cracking on the corner, the tackle inviting the end in and the guard kicking out to seal off the defender over the inside reciever. It's very deceptive and effective. Gaffney did a nice job outrunning the defense on a reverse. He also caught a few balls. He did have a drop although I believe that was from a somewhat inaccurate pass. I did not notice McKinley too much in the actual O v. D session, although OSKIE remarked on his route running and catching abilities in the cone drills they utilized. Nate Swift made a name for himself at this practice, bailing out Simms on one occasion and making another nice catch on other occasion.

The tight ends were generally quiet. I did not notice Scheffler or Putzier with the exception of one play each where they caught a short pass. Graham also had a catch. I was not able to see much of Quinn, although he was definitely out there competing on in the O v. D drills.

IV. OFFENSIVE LINE- They were doing a fine job against the defensive front most of the day. Clady did get flat out beat once for a sack by Dumervil, but we then focused on him the next play and he stoned Dumervil. I also though that Polumbus did a very nice job at LT on the 2nd team the whole practice and Ryan Harris stoned Darrell Reid on a OLB blitz. The line is, as expected, fine. I noticed that Lichtensteiger was getting a considerable amount of time with the 1st unit. The only problem I noticed with regard to the interior line was center exchange problems. This happened twice, once with Orton at QB and once with Simms at QB.

Rock Chalk
08-02-2009, 11:34 AM
OSKIE is stuck in traffic, probably be 45 minutes before he gets home.

elsid13
08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Socal

Where was Lichtensteiger playing? Guard or Center?

BlaK-Argentina
08-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks!!!!! Man I love you guys... :)

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
V. DEFENSIVE LINE- Marcus Thomas made a real impact today, which was nice to see. He's still struggling a bit conditioning wise, though. Of note were two plays in particular: He burst through the line to stop a RB for a loss and he also quickly diagnosed a screen play and was able to move down the line fast enough to blow up the screen. I was not impressed by the rest of the 3-4 down lineman. Perhaps part of that is because they were going up against a very good OL, but the OL seemed to get to the ILB's relatively easily. Did not notice much of McBean or Fields.

VI. LINEBACKERS- Did not notice much of the inside LBs, today. They need some help from the DL. I did see Andra Davis blow up a run, though. He does come off on nickel downs and is replaced by Woodyard in that situation, which is not surprising. So far as the OLBs go, they were more effective. As noted above, Dumervil had a sack on Clady, which was a rare feat. Tim Crowder also was making some plays against the run as well as pressuring the passer. I thought Darrell Reid was relatively quiet. Harris did a nice job on him, today. One thing I noticed that concerned me was adjustments to empty coverage. They had Dumervil covering down on a slot reciever, which might be a matchup concern, although perhaps that was just the assignment in that particular coverage.

VII. DEFENSIVE BACKS- Alphonso Smith had a pick off a Brandstater pass. In the post-practice newsconference, Coach McDaniels said he's doing a good job for a rookie and making plays on the ball, just as he did at Wake Forest. However, we did notice that JMFW was still running ahead of him, at least from the respective units they were playing on (JMFW came in several times as the 1st team nickel corner). I was very impressed by Renaldo Hill, he broke up a couple passes. OSKIE indicated he seems to be mentally sharp. On one of the very first plays of the 11 on 11, Orton hesitated for a moment and threw a sideline pass that Dawkins anticipated and he almost had a pick, breaking up the pass. He then did pushups for a few seconds on the field as self punishment for not hauling in the interception. OSKIE and I were both impressed by Barrett and specifically his ability to backpedal and cover ground in drills. They also used him on a blitz one time and he almost made a play. I did not notice much of Bruton or McBath. I suspect they are still probably trying to cope with the learning curve.

MISC. NOTES- OSKIE remarked on a drill the Broncos were using that he had previously seen the Cowboys use when Dave Campo was their coach. The coach would roll the ball on the ground and the player would have to recover it or tip it back in before it went out of bounds. This seems like it will be useful for punt returns and also recovering fumbles (obviously).

VIII. POST-PRACTICE PRESS CONFERENCE

Coach McDaniels
1. There is no update as to Jarvis Moss.
2. Was not sure what the problem with Marshall was.
3. Team is making progress. He remarked that they need to be physical while executing the assigment at the same time. Sometimes it is difficult to do both, at times they have been physical, but have slipped a bit in assignment, and vice versa. The goal is harness both elements as best as possible.
4. Was complimentary of Tim Crowder. Said he continues to get better. Liked the fact that he is a "thick" player and can be used on the edge and at OLB as well.
5. As noted above, thinks Smith is making progress. Likes how he is making plays on the ball.
6. Says they are constantly working on trying to get Ayers and Moreno in there but that he isn't going to get frustrated about it.
7. Says Elvis is making the adjustment at OLB and is working hard. Hands improving.

HILLIS
We were able to listen to Hillis's remarks to questions from other media. He mentioned the following:
1. He is learning the playbook. Notes that it is complex.
2. Likes the group of men, says they are close.
3. Discussed the set of backs this year. Likes Lamont Jordan (although he did not elaborate). He said he really liked Buckhalter and said he was learning from him, just as he learned from Pittman last year.
4. Discussed the Knowshon situation a bit. Says Knowshon is talented. Says this is just business, although he does run the risk of getting a bit too far behind.

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:55 AM
ORANGEMANE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS (No Audio unfortunately, as we didn't have those recorders today)

I interviewed rookie WR KENNY MCKINLEY

Q: The Spurrier offense at South Carolina was known for its option routes, comparison to this offense in that respect and in general.

A: They run some option routes here, but this offense as a whole is more advanced. WRs have to know what the line is doing, have to adjust on the blitz. There are numerous variations. Much more advanced. Feels offense is much tougher.

Q: How is he holding up from a physical standpoint re: two a days?

A: Feels he is fine. He believes he is in good shape. From a talent standpoint, he isn't in awe of the people at camp, because he played in the SEC where there was alot of talent. McKinley points out that opponents in the NFL are much smarter, however.

Q: Any WRs (Marshall or Royal) mentoring him, taking him under their wing?

A. Said both Marshall and Royal do, although he stressed Royal more so. He also indicated he was being mentored by Jabar Gaffney as Gaffney also played in the Spurrier offense as well as playing in the NE system now, so he felt that Jabar is a good resource to help him with the mental aspect.

McKinley seems like a good kid and was very willing to answer questions.

OSKIE interviewed OLB Tim Crowder

Crowder liked the fact that OSKIE had his Texas Longhorn hat on. :)
Crowder is getting good feedback from the coaches as to his progression, specifically his position coach. OSKIE asked whether Crowder could see his improvment in the film room as well and Crowder said he could. He also feels his legs are holding up well now...not that sore. Feels he is getting better and better as a player. OSKIE will have more on in his report.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
We will have a recorder tonight. You ask the questions though I am still working up to that! :)

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Elsid, from my vantage point, it appeared Lichtensteiger was playing center, although that may have been only when Weigmann had to go running with Simms.

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 11:57 AM
One other note: I saw a sign that indicated that this afternoon's practice was changed to 4:45 to 6 PM altho im not sure if thats really correct. If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 11:58 AM
One other note: I saw a sign that indicated that this afternoon's practice was changed to 4:45 to 6 PM altho im not sure if thats really correct. If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice.

I will see what I can find.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
On the front page of the Broncos page it shows the time changed to 4:45pm but its not updated on the training camp fan guide.

Requiem
SoCal, I had read somewhere -- perhaps Denver Post or Josina's blog that the afternoon practice was going to be changed to 45 minutes earlier or something.

RMT
if I'm not mistaken, just last week Champ remarked that Hill is one of the smartest teammates he has ever played with. nice to have a hitter AND thinker at safety this year - last year we had neither.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
This is from the Blog on DenverBroncos.com

QUICK HITS: Fans enjoyed another day of picturesque morning weather in Englewood, with temperatures climbing into the mid-80s and plenty of sunshine.
At the conclusion of stretches, the entire team circled around Director of Special Services Fred Fleming, singing him Happy Birthday.
Broncos coaches haven’t been shy about taking the opportunity to use training camp for plenty of teaching. This was again apparent during coaching assistant Keith Burns’ special teams tackling drill. Each player navigated through a first blocker before wrapping up the returner at an angle toward the ball. When inside linebacker/fullback Spencer Larsen went too low, Burns had Larsen repeat the drill. On the second attempt, he nailed it.
There is another practice session this evening at 4:45 p.m. MDT. Pictures to come…

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/

RMT
08-02-2009, 12:02 PM

that's what was posted at Saturday's afternoon practice - that today's afternoon practice did indeed start at 4:45

Requiem
08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Fred's Birthday? That must be why SoCal and he are going out for dinner later. :)

OABB
08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
what's nice is to have socal posting interesting and informative things once again. Nice work! Best report so far imo...

good to have you back...

Requiem
08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
SoCal, any news on my boy Tony Carter? :)

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 12:07 PM

I think OSKIE noticed a play from him, but I don't recall anything.

OABB
08-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice to know the others sucked IYHO :Uhh

Its kind of a slap in the others face when you make comments like that. They are all good.

They are all beyond good, my man. I meant no offense....I just thought Socals were very detailed and broken down well. I would erase my post if you didn't quote it if it reads that way.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 12:11 PM
They are all beyond good, my man. I meant no offense....I just thought Socals were very detailed and broken down well. I would erase my post if you didn't quote it if it reads that way.

Nah SoCal's are good and its just me being self conscious, I know lame. I was also giving you a hard time too as we like to do with eachother thus the edited post with the emoticons and friendly jab!

Erased my manginally lame post!

elsid13
08-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Elsid, from my vantage point, it appeared Lichtensteiger was playing center, although that may have been only when Weigmann had to go running with Simms.

thanks

24champ
08-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I think OSKIE noticed a play from him, but I don't recall anything.

Socal when you going to sport the Malkin Kings jersey?;D

OABB
08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Nah SoCal's are good and its just me being self conscious, I know lame. I was also giving you a hard time too as we like to do with eachother thus the edited post with the emoticons and friendly jab!

Erased my manginally lame post!

No worries, you have alot of other posts in our "wars" that you should be way more embarrassed about....:)

Popps
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Clady did get flat out beat once for a sack by Dumervil, but we then focused on him the next play and he stoned Dumervil.

Good news and bad news, all at once! :)

Glad to hear Elvis is making some plays. He's going to have a lot of work to do with this transition. It's nice that he'll take on one of the best LTs in the game in the process.

McDman
08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I foresee a tough year defensively. I just have a bad feeling about our d-line. If we get blown up again like last year we're screwed.

SoCalBronco
08-02-2009, 12:33 PM
socal when you going to sport the malkin kings jersey?;d

lol

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=SoCalBronco;2490736]SOCAL'S 8/2 AM REPORT PART I.II

I am going to piggy back on SoCal's report. We had a good time, though it was hot... the hottest day of camp so far.

I. INITIAL THOUGHTS RE: PRACTICE STYLE/STRUCTURE- The stretching is significantly different from anything most Bronco fans have ever seen at Dove Valley. The players work in their team groups for about 10 minutes and then line up for stretching. Today, they stretched on the East field (furthest from the fans). In the past, this is when the Broncos would send one of the rookies up front to "lead". Most probably remember the infamous back flip by Marcus Thomas. Anyhow, they no longer are carrying on with this tradition. Also absent during this phase of the practice is the player/fan interaction. The Broncos would routinely "chat" with the fans and would on occasion grab a kid and bring him out on the field to talk with a couple of the players, then return him/her to the crowd. Needless to say, the structure of warm ups is much more disciplined and the players don't goof off nearly as much... 'cept for BMarsh (ironic?)

Player notes in drills:
-During the individual drills I paid attention to the footwork of our LBs. Tim Crowder once again was impressive showing great lateral quickness and a nice burst to the commands of Coach Martindale. I asked Tim after practice how his legs were feeling and he said they were good. Soreness usually sets in pretty quick, but after three or four days of practice they start to settle. I can remember asking Dre Bly the same thing last year and he said he was hurting and asked if we could trade legs, lol.
-I also watched Josh Barrett pretty closely. His back pedal is remarkable. Incredibly fast feet. He doesn't flip his hips as well as some of the smaller DBs like Alphonso Smith or Darcel McBath, but he is much quicker with his back pedal. If JB continues to work in the film room to master this defense he may have a surprising role for this team. He's not close to supplanting Dawkins or Hill at this point, but he's giving Fox and McBath a run for their money to be that third safety.
-Jack Williams is having a pretty good camp so far. Nothing flashy, just steady play and in good position constantly. When Champ takes a breather it is Jack Williams playing with the first team and he is currently the Nickel Back. When Alphonso Smith does take over (and he will b/c the kid just makes plays) it will be b/c he's earned it... Jack Williams isn't giving up the booty easily!
-Coach Donatell spent a good bit of time working the DBs on allowing a little bit of cushion to a receiver making his break. It was a drill designed to understand where your help was over the top and to work on forcing your opponent to the side of your help by redirecting with body alone. Basically taking away the route to one side or the other and forcing the receiver into your top coverage help to set up the bracket.
-Several of you probably recall me talking about the "Dave Campo Drill" from last year's joint practices with the Cowboys. Coach Campo would line the DBs up near the sideline and roll a ball toward the sidelines. The DBs had to execute a clean pickup before the ball rolled out of bounds. They would roll it a little more quickly and have the DBs work on batting the ball back in bounds, re-establishing their feet in bounds and then picking up the loose ball. Then they turned up the heat a bit and started throwing the ball a little more directly toward the DBs. Crazy hops and it was awesome watching Dawkins vacuum the balls in. Alphonso Smith did well too.
-They ran a drill with the DBs that featured a QB (coach) throwing to an open part of the field. The coach would put a lot of air under the ball and allow the DB to react and make a play on it in the air. So if the QB's shoulder opened up the DB knew it was going toward the corner of the endzone and if the shoulder stayed in it was a post. Some of the DBs struggled recognizing based on shoulders. Champ and Dawkins played it perfectly though, as soon as the shoulders would open they would flip their hips and hit the corner. Both made the plays but SoCal thought that Dawkins labored a bit to get into position to make the play.

I watched a lot of the install that Coach Nolan was going through. The blitz packages that he was installing were for Elvis Dumervil and Brian Dawkins. For Doom it looked a lot like a stunt b/c he plays so close to the line in the 3-4 (50 front). But it is essentially an OLB blitzing inside. I was impressed with Reynaldo Hill as he understood where each player in front of him was supposed to be during the blitzes. He would ensure the LBs in front of him (Davis and Williams) were properly aligned when the blitz was called. He also repositioned himself to make sure he was over center and could cover the entire deep secondary.

Coach Nunnely worked the DL on recognizing their situations. I could overhear him telling the DL repeatedly that if it's too easy you better damn well stop b/c a screen is coming. Later in 11 on 11s, Marcus Thomas made a beautiful play against the screen and I couldn't help but think that Coach Nunnely would be proud as they had just gone over the identification and reaction to the screens. He got a bunch of compliments from his teammates and coaches for the play and overall had a good practice... probably the best of all the DL.

The staff was utilizing a combine-like drill with the WRs using cones and having a WR run through a set of cones catching the ball at least twice within one drill. I believe these were designed to sharpen the cuts and breaks. I too was able to watch this drill and noted that Kenny McKinley has nice soft hands. I also noticed that Nate Swift has a nice set of mits as well. Snatching the ball easily and effortlessly. Surprisingly, CJ Jones showed great hands and sudden, explosive burst out of his breaks. He is camp fodder but looks decent in drills. Eddie Royal is fun to watch. Very strong with his cuts, very explosive, and catches the ball easily/effortlessly. Brandon Marshall caught the ball well but still didn't seem to show a strong effort. I know, not everybody is Brian Dawkins... BMarsh could be a leader if he wanted to and he's sure not leading right now.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Chris Simms started to dial in a little bit more today. He wasn't accurate on every pass, but he did show improvement over what I saw of him on Friday. He threw three beautiful out patterns to both his left and right side, then followed it up with one that was 4' over his receiver's head. This drill was with a DB in coverage and Brandon Lloyd was running beautiful out patterns for Simms, and the passes (save for the high one) were perfectly placed on the outside shoulder.
-Didn't watch too much of Orton. He made some poor decisions today. In the 11 vs 11 drill he tried to force the ball too often. The defense often had good coverage and Brian Dawkins missed another would be interception on a ball Orton had no business throwing. BDawk did another 10 pushups for that one and I heard a fan yell, "wait to be accountable". Alphonso Smith had a pick today and Coach McDaniels commented on him after practice saying he looked really good and made a play. He has been very complimentary of Alphonso Smith but also points out that he still makes "rookie mistakes".

I'll continue on with RBs next, just wanted to get this part out... big wreck on I-25 south of Castle Rock had I-25 looking more like I-45. Hate traffic!!

telluride
08-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Great report!

Greybeard
08-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Eating? There's no eating in camp reporting..... (my best Tom Hanks voice)

Well, I'm about to run out, so I guess I won't see the report for a while. Looking forward to reading it.

To do what? Eat? ;D

-----

Sassy
08-02-2009, 12:49 PM
BMarsh could be a leader if he wanted to and he's sure not leading right now.

McDman
08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm really getting annoyed by Marshall's aloofness. Like I said on BM if he had been hustling yesterday Barrett would not have laid him out. He slowly jogged and then tried to plow Barrett. All the other receivers were sprinting towards the DBs.

snowspot66
08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Marshall is what Marshall is. For better or worse he'll never be a Rod Smith type of guy. As long as he never turns into Terrel Owens then I'm fine with that.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Marshall is what Marshall is. For better or worse he'll never be a Rod Smith type of guy. As long as he never turns into Terrel Owens then I'm fine with that.

Too bad he is getting closer and closer to becoming another 2

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
RBs- Buckhalter had his best day. He is quick and looked like he would have had several long gains on a toss play to the left. This team is deep at the RB position. On a fun note, when the RBs were running routes to the back of the endzone focusing on catching the ball and keeping their feet in bounds... Buckhalter caught one and ran under one of CBF1s Blue Spruces. He looked at SoCal and I and said, "nice to get some shade under here." I told him next time I'll have a water bottle for him too. ;D All of the backs caught the ball well.
-Hillis didn't have a great practice from what I could tell. He fumbled a handoff from Orton but picked the ball up quickly, changed directions and ran for a nice little gain. He does look a little faster than last year. Still a powerful runner that just looks like he's ready to wear a would-be tackler out. Just didn't have too many balls go his direction today. I think McD knows what he has in Hillis already.
Torain- Quiet day. Nothing of note from my end.
Jordan- Big dude. He is a load and runs pretty well for a big guy. He catches the ball quite well too. Not a whole lot of action for any of the RBs today, save for Buckhalter.

Receivers and TEs- Eddie Royal looked great though he did drop a catchable ball on the trick play we ran during 11 on 11s. Orton threw the ball to Gaffney like it was a quick screen, then Gaffney throws it back to Otron. Royal had a couple steps on Hill though Hill did not bite and kept the coverage. Orton kind of floated the ball and it allowed Hill to get back and disrupt Royal's concentration. The ball hit him in the chest and fell to the ground. Royal was mad but high fived Hill, probably b/c Hill stayed with him in coverage.
Daniel Graham had a busy day catching multiple balls during the 2 minute offense. The D is still slightly ahead of the offense at this point but it's starting to even out a bit. Our deep coverage is great but the LBs struggle a little bit... 'cept for Woodyard and Crowder. Crowder did a great job dropping about 10 yards back into a soft zone (he was on the line in a 50 front). The QB thought better of trying to drop one in over the top of him and went to the safer option in front of Tim. Tim let up on the tackle but would have kept the back from going for anything more than a modest gain.
-Scheff had a couple balls go his way but he isn't a big part of this offense... at least not yet. A little discouraging as Scheff is one of my favorite players on the team.
-Jabar Gaffney is the #2 right now with Marshall in and out so much. When BMarsh is in, Gaffney is the #3. Stokley isn't doing anything wrong that I can tell and always makes the play when he is in the game, but SoCal commented that it seems like Stokely is being "phased out" on offense. I'm starting to agree.
-McKinley had a quiet practice but we got to talk with him a good bit after practice. The speed of the pro level is not affecting him. His SEC experience prepared him well for the speed of the NFL. What is different and takes time to adjust to, according to McKinley, is the perfect position work of NFL defenders. Tighter coverage, quicker to diagnose plays and react, all of that is what he is adjusting to. We wished him luck and told him to keep up the good work. Very likable kid and boy does he ever look like a kid. I realize he is only 22 years old, but he looks like an 18 year old. Super nice though and I think he could turn out to be a steal.
-Brandon Lloyd runs a great out pattern. He didn't do anything during 11 on 11s that I noticed, but he is showing up and has a chance to make this team. I see the final WR spot coming down to Chad Jackson, Brandon Stokley, and Brandon Lloyd. If we keep 6 then count on two of those guys making it.
Quinn- was quiet. I saw him make some nice blocks, but no passed his way. I'd like to see them work with him a bit more in the passing game. SoCal thought he was a project and that seems to be the case. Personally I expected a bit more from him. I'll taper my expectations as I recall that Michael Bennett for the Cowboys looked horrible early on last year and really became a good player as the year went on.

OL-Clady sucks. We should trade him. He got beat by Elvis... beat bad. ;D So then he gets serious and proceeds to dominate the rest of practice. It's good for him to get beat every now and again. When it happens the dude ends up dominating. It's like he gets offended or something.
-Wiegmann- had a botched snap to Chris Simms. Not sure who's fault it was, but Chris said after practice that he felt bad for making Casey run. "He's like 50 and here he is having to run in front of the fans", Simms said smiling. Both of them ran right in front of us. Simms also said that it was "embarrassing running b/c of a mistake, especially that close to the fans." A little kid ran up to him as he was running and slapped him a 'low' five. Wiegmann didn't comment about the running but didn't look too happy while running.
Tyler Polumbus had a decent practice and Ryan Harris did a great job standing Darrell Reid up and giving his QB plenty of time to find an open receiver. Still, the coverage down field was often so good that Orton had to dump the ball off, throw it away, or throw it up into coverage (which he did a couple times).

Ray Finkle
08-02-2009, 01:13 PM
So, Socal,
how did you keep from running on the field and punching McD? :)

Sassy
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM

He's getting there...:(

cutthemdown
08-02-2009, 01:16 PM

When he scores like 12-15 times in a season then I wouldn't mind him acting like a TO etc. Marshall just one of those players who hasn't really reached the level of the top scorers in the NFL.

I don't want to hear it was the qbs fault, the play calling, Marshall just dropped too many balls in the redzone last yr.

Sassy
08-02-2009, 01:24 PM
When he scores like 12-15 times in a season then I wouldn't mind him acting like a TO etc. Marshall just one of those players who hasn't really reached the level of the top scorers in the NFL.I don't want to hear it was the qbs fault, the play calling, Marshall just dropped too many balls in the redzone last yr.

Or an adult maturity level.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 01:25 PM
great love these.

I am sure its been said before here, and you all probably know. But reid sucks. he is nothing more than what engelberger was to us last year. So while i agree harris is a great RT and the OL together is sickness.

harris stoning reid shouldnt really be all that surprising.

I like the part about clady though. Thats funny, he goes 80% and gets beat so he comes back 100% and owns!

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
General Observations:
Our DLine is concerning. When I spoke with Montrose he thought that Carlton Powell looked pretty good playing on the End. Marcus Thomas certainly looks the part as well. Right now, I think the best front three we could trot out there would be Powell, Fields, and Thomas. Thomas has the potential to be above average but the DL is nothing special and time will tell whether or not they are even serviceable. Lots of running room inside right now, but you have Wiegmann, Kuper, and Hamilton clearing the way too so who knows???

Josina hadn't heard anything about Ayers or Moreno though she admitted she wasn't really working the phone. She is as cool as they come... unfortunate that people here bag on her.

Guys that left a lasting impression on me today were (in no particular order):
Alphonso Smith- was betting Chris Simms that he could field punts from the 'Jugs' machine with one hand. Simms said alright and he missed it, mainly b/c Simms jumped in front of him and waved his hand at the ball ;D... as Simms walked away Alphonso said I'll catch it one handed with my left hand, double it or nothing. Simms walked back toward him and said alright, 20 bucks. Alphonso fielded it with his left hand, bobbled it, and then brought it in with his right hand. Simms was like no way, you used both hands. Alphonso quickly took another one, bobbled it and then caught it with one hand. I think Simms let him off the hook for the $20. I talked with Simms a few minutes later and said he was really getting it from the fans about his UT tattoo. He said yeah, they are saying things like the Horns "S-U-C-K". I wore my Horns hat today so we both laughed... I should have told him that I was one of the guys heckling him Friday Night. LMAO
Tim Crowder- Lots of people wanting to talk to Timmy these days. They are taking note of his dominating performances. Today was his best day so far and he is showing some steady improvement. At this point, and this is only my opinion, he has played his way into the starting line up. I waited a good bit for the other media to ask him their questions about Jarvis Moss and how he was feeling, etc. I wanted to know what he was seeing in the film room and wether what we were seeing on the field was indeed as strong as we were thinking. He said the coaches are commenting and telling him to keep up the good work and yes, the film shows the strong performances as well. :thumbsup: Can I have two adopt-a-broncos? Don't want to give up Eddie Royal b/c he's a stud... but Timmy is flat out bring'n it partner.
Josh Barrett- Physically he is the best Safety on this team. Good enough that they have him playing the nickel back in some of our nickel packages (big nickel). Being around guys like Reynaldo Hill and Brian Dawkins will really help his mental understanding of the game. Truly, it is a brilliant move by McD to not only draft guys like McBath and Bruton, but to bring in heady veterans like Dawkins and Hill to mentor the young guns... very smart move. The DL is suffering right now, but if you look at the secondary you know that we are moving in the right direction. I have hope based on what he's doing with the secondary and to a lesser extent the WR corps as well. Based on what I've seen so far, I think JB will make this team and be a significant part of STs and play in some packages on defense.
Eddie Royal- Marshall isn't right and Eddie Royal is the best WR on this team right now. Draft him no later than #4 in your FFL b/c he is going to see a LOT of screen plays and he has the ability to get in the open field and make something happen. I hate to make projections, but if he is indeed the Wes Welker of this offense, then you should expect Wes Welker like #s... right ???

Oh, I forgot to note earlier that we worked for about 15 minutes on STs. Open field tackling after shedding a blocker on one field and then breaking through the wedge and finding the ball carrier on the other field. The kickers were returning the kicks which was pretty funny.

Funniest part of practice... The kickers "killing" the tackling dummy as practice ended. Kind of cool seeing Paxton teach Kern, Prater, and Colquitt how to rip or swim over a blocker and then hit the dummy. They weren't exactly inflicting pain with their tackles but man they were trying...

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 01:34 PM
So, Socal,
how did you keep from running on the field and punching McD? :)

I restrained him... duh! :thanku:

NYBronco
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm really getting annoyed by Marshall's aloofness. Like I said on BM if he had been hustling yesterday Barrett would not have laid him out. He slowly jogged and then tried to plow Barrett. All the other receivers were sprinting towards the DBs.

That really has to be upseeting to those that are humping to make the team or a name for themselves. Marshall's half assed efforts are hurting the progress of the less developed and those that really need the exposure before being burned in a game. I guess the B man has forgotten he was a fourth round selection.

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Great hips and very athletic. He is small though and will have to do something special to be more than a first round cut... sorry bro. I was hoping to see him do some good too.

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 01:41 PM
That really has to be upseeting to those that are humping to make the team or a name for themselves. Marshall's half assed efforts are hurting the progress of the less developed and those that really need the exposure before being burned in a game. I guess the B man has forgotten he was a fourth round selection.

He's not hurting anyone but himself. Brandon Marshall going 80% can beat just about anybody in the league. It's just frustrating knowing that he could be special. Also keep in mind that maybe the hip is hurting him more than we know. He wants to be on the field showing he is good so that teams aren't weary of offering a trade for him, but he's probably in a lot of pain from being out there... who knows?

Inkana7
08-02-2009, 01:43 PM
SoCal, that screen you were talking about where he fakes one way and like jump-throws to the other is a play that the 07-08 Pats ran over and over and over again. It's a neat little play.

lazarus4444
08-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Trade marshall for a defensive lineman.

NYBronco
08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
He's not hurting anyone but himself. Brandon Marshall going 80% can beat just about anybody in the league. It's just frustrating knowing that he could be special. Also keep in mind that maybe the hip is hurting him more than we know. He wants to be on the field showing he is good so that teams aren't weary of offering a trade for him, but he's probably in a lot of pain from being out there... who knows?

That's reasonable... I forgot about the injury.

Barrett sounds like he's becoming a solid player and I would like to see him get every opportunity to fine tune his skills for the big games with a truly competitive and sincere effort on the other side of the ball.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
V. DEFENSIVE LINE- Marcus Thomas made a real impact today, which was nice to see. He's still struggling a bit conditioning wise, though. Of note were two plays in particular: He burst through the line to stop a RB for a loss and he also quickly diagnosed a screen play and was able to move down the line fast enough to blow up the screen. I was not impressed by the rest of the 3-4 down lineman. Perhaps part of that is because they were going up against a very good OL, but the OL seemed to get to the ILB's relatively easily. Did not notice much of McBean or Fields.

Great report, thanks.

Curious, was Marcus Thomas playing NT or DE?

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Sorry folks, we just got back in after a quick bite to eat.

Reports to follow.

Initial tidbit:

Marshall appeared to leave the field about halfway through practice. OSKIE observed he was grimacing. Coach McD did not know what the problem was post-practice but they were going to check on it.

We also got interviews (non audio however) with Kenny McKinley and Tim Crowder.

With all due respect, will it be "reports", or more sniveling?

Drek
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm really loving what I'm hearing about Crowder. Seems as though my avatar karma is finally kicking in for him!

tnedator
08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm really loving what I'm hearing about Crowder. Seems as though my avatar karma is finally kicking in for him!

Who knows what will happen once Ayers is in camp, but right now all the reports make it sound like he is the best (or most consistant) OLB we have.

Premier-Ace55
08-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Great Jobs guys as always I grew up in Denver and currently live In NM and really look fwd to your updates. Quick question for either one of you. The defensive line is making me nervous i know that it is early but do we have some physical players that maybe are out of position or is it more of a situation where we just don't have enough ability up front.

Paladin
08-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the reports, guys. Good stuff.

snowspot66
08-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Who knows what will happen once Ayers is in camp, but right now all the reports make it sound like he is the best (or most consistant) OLB we have.

Well the guy has beaten both Clady and Harris for a sack from what I remember reading. You know he earned those ones. Nothing cheap there.

Very promising. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 03:09 PM
That's reasonable... I forgot about the injury.

Barrett sounds like he's becoming a solid player and I would like to see him get every opportunity to fine tune his skills for the big games with a truly competitive and sincere effort on the other side of the ball.

Barrett was on the radio locally and he was falling all over himself praising Dawkins' mentoring. Dawkins is showing these kids how to be a pro.

Northman
08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Barrett was on the radio locally and he was falling all over himself praising Dawkins' mentoring. Dawkins is showing these kids how to be a pro.

Bout time someone on that defense did.

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Dawkins is fun to watch

DBroncos4life
08-02-2009, 03:27 PM
So do you guys think that Swift will make the team?

DivineLegion
08-02-2009, 03:53 PM
With Torain and Crowder making strides, you would think Moreno and Ayers would be alittle more pressed to get into camp. Granted they probably dont know everything thats going on but its really good to hear that both of them are taking advantage of our first rounders contract stalls.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
With Torain and Crowder making strides, you would think Moreno and Ayers would be alittle more pressed to get into camp. Granted they probably dont know everything thats going on but its really good to hear that both of them are taking advantage of our first rounders contract stalls.

As much as I am sure they want to be at the top of the depth chart, I am sure they want to maximize their contracts (especially the guaranteed portion) even more.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 04:03 PM
What time is afternoon practice over?

TheReverend
08-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Where's Thomas playing?

tnedator
08-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Where's Thomas playing?

I asked the same question, don't think it was responded to. Curious if he is lining up as NT or DE.

Broncoman13
08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
DE sorry

Ratboy
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Who is playing NT? Fields?

I would think Thomas would be a better fit for that.

How does Chris Baker look out there?

TheReverend
08-02-2009, 05:02 PM
DE sorry

Good. Thank you.

Premier-Ace55
08-02-2009, 06:15 PM
DE sorry

I'm just hoping that they will continue to plug people in and out until they find a decent d-line

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Honestly, I think you're giving Marshall more of a rep than he's worth. 15 is a possession receiver that had good YAC. He's a possession receiver, doesn't have elite speed. His YAC will go down as he ages, seen that already. He's good, but receivers like #15, guys that can run the out, can be found all over the League.

s0phr0syne
08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Hopefully some of the people who have been going to the camps are still checking this thread.

What's up with Nick Griesen? I know he wasn't one of our heralded FA signings, but this guy has had quite a bit of success in this league as an LB and frankly, I was expecting him to show up big time as an ILB, especially since he's coming off a stint with the Ravens. Has he shown up at all? What string D is he running with?

broncosteven
08-02-2009, 06:24 PM
General Observations:
Our DLine is concerning. When I spoke with Montrose he thought that Carlton Powell looked pretty good playing on the End. Marcus Thomas certainly looks the part as well. Right now, I think the best front three we could trot out there would be Powell, Fields, and Thomas. Thomas has the potential to be above average but the DL is nothing special and time will tell whether or not they are even serviceable. Lots of running room inside right now, but you have Wiegmann, Kuper, and Hamilton clearing the way too so who knows???

This is my concern also. I don't know who out there is trade bait but with the fact that we do not have Ayers in TC and do not know if he will be a bust or plus I would not be pissed if they traded Marshall and or Champ for a Vet DL.

Thomas and Powell were our 2 best DL last year too and we were close to last in league.

lex
08-02-2009, 06:28 PM
This is my concern also. I don't know who out there is trade bait but with the fact that we do not have Ayers in TC and do not know if he will be a bust or plus I would not be pissed if they traded Marshall and or Champ for a Vet DL.

Thomas and Powell were our 2 best DL last year too and we were close to last in league.

Are you sure you want to say Powell, considering he was injured?

OBF1
08-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Guys, Great reporting. Who in the world needs ESPN or Denver post with you guys around.

Thanks a ton.

alkemical
08-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Agreed. good tuff and thanks.

broncosteven
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM

I was thinking Peterson...

FireFly
08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
DE sorry

Thats good to hear! I'd rather have him there than NT!

Los Broncos
08-02-2009, 10:24 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/02/brandon-marshall-limps-off-the-practice-field/

That doesn't sound good at all, hopefully he is OK.

fdf
08-02-2009, 10:46 PM

He missed a lot fewer assignments than the guys who played . . . :)

kent156
08-03-2009, 04:12 AM
I'm hoping more of the problem with the dline is that the broncos have a good oline. I have to agree with Oskie when he said Thomas, Fields and Powell would be the best front and i haven't even been to camp just a gut feeling.

DawnBTVS
08-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Really love these reports. How's David Bruton and the special teams doing coverage wise? I saw you mention that they were working on shedding blocks but are they having more success getting downfield quicker?

Also, did they work on downing drills again?

Broncoman13
08-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Really love these reports. How's David Bruton and the special teams doing coverage wise? I saw you mention that they were working on shedding blocks but are they having more success getting downfield quicker?

Also, did they work on downing drills again?

I didn't watch too much of the ST's on the field closest to the fans, and that is where they were working on shedding the blocks with Bruton. On my side it was more of the backs and LBs. They haven't ran the drill working on beating the double team (gunner drill) again. They also haven't ran any live returns so it's hard to truly gauge how well Bruton and the rest of the coverage team is really doing. I'm guessing we will see some live action this week as we prepare for our first preseason game.