PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Moss--3 Years Later

rastaman
08-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Okay all you 20/20 Hind-Sighters! Here's why Shanny and Bates selected Jarvis Moss. It was rumored that Bates had said Moss reminded him of Jason Taylor. Of course Bates was fired after the 07 season and Moss missed the entire 07 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cnc5eg_BCE

The draft experts all believed the Broncos made a great draft selection. You had Jarvis coming off a National championship team and the Gators stayed in their opponents backfield. Jarvis looked awfully quick coming off the edge. And Moss had Freak deminsions....6'6 and 250lbs. I don't think it was really a reach per say.

I think we can all agree Jarvis has been a bit of an enigma. From getting injured his rookie year (breaking his leg) and missing the entire season, to not being able to gain weight and get stronger in the last two off seasons...which are a disappointment. However, I've often wondered what type off-season programs the Broncos had as far as strength training and player development. Jarvis Moss was totally raw and unrefined fundamentally and could have really used strength training and having a position coach to teach Moss the fundamentals of playing DE in the NFL.

In the end, I must admit over the last 3 years Moss didn't have that burning drive, hunger, and desire to want to play at the NFL level. He definitely had the the height, long wing span and quickness to excel! Moss just couldn't put it all together when it came to gaining the necessary 25Lbs and gaining more strength.

It appears now with Moss's threat of retirement he has lost confidence.......and when you also have a lack of drive and perseverance to go along with it---it spells a short NFL career.

TheDave
08-01-2009, 06:40 PM
End result... it was a failure.

I'm as much of a Shanahan backer as anyone here... BUT... He had an amazingly irrating habit of selecting freak athletes with no heart. To make it worse he did this in both FA and the draft. Just add Moss to the list.

OCBronco
08-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Okay all you 20/20 Hind-Sighters! Here's why Shanny and Bates selected Jarvis Moss. It was rumored that Bates had said Moss reminded him of Jason Taylor. Of course Bates was fired after the 07 season and Moss missed the entire 07 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cnc5eg_BCE

The draft experts all believed the Broncos made a great draft selection. You had Jarvis coming off a National championship team and the Gators stayed in their opponents backfield. Jarvis looked awfully quick coming off the edge. And Moss had Freak deminsions....6'6 and 250lbs. I don't think it was really a reach per say.

I think we can all agree Jarvis has been a bit of an enigma. From getting injured his rookie year (breaking his leg) and missing the entire season, to not being able to gain weight and get stronger in the last two off seasons...which are a disappointment. However, I've often wondered what type off-season programs the Broncos had as far as strength training and player development. Jarvis Moss was totally raw and unrefined fundamentally and could have really used strength training and having a position coach to teach Moss the fundamentals of playing DE in the NFL.

In the end, I must admit over the last 3 years Moss didn't have that burning drive, hunger, and desire to want to play at the NFL level. He definitely had the the height, long wing span and quickness to excel! Moss just couldn't put it all together when it came to gaining the necessary 25Lbs and gaining more strength.

It appears now with Moss's threat of retirement he has lost confidence.......and when you also have a lack of drive and perseverance to go along with it---it spells a short NFL career.

Given what you said in bold above, it looks like Moss was a better fit as a project, which means we should have spent a later round pick on him, not a first rounder.

Anyway, I agree about the enigma part. It sounds like he was so dominant physically in college and high school that he never had to work for anything. Then he gets to the pros and finds out that he's not nearly as talented as he thought he was. Turns out that he didn't have the work ethic needed to stick around. The fault on this one sticks to Shanny for not doing his homework.