PDA

View Full Version : Khan Afternoon camp report 8.01

Kaylore
08-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Hello Everyone! Today was brutal with the heat. I was somewhat in agreement with Daniel Graham when he looked at us as he walked off the field and said "y'all stupid" for standing out in the sun when we could be doing something else.

This will be an abbreviated report as the camp ran later than it was scheduled and I need to go to dinner with my wife.

The first major story is obviously that Jarvis Moss wasn't on the field and Fox 31 is reporting that he is thinking about retiring early. Moss has been working on the third team and was seen praying on the field before practice yesterday. I don't know if he has personal issues or if his heart is no longer in football, but clearly he has some issues to work out.

Bailey was back on the field today as were the other "unconditioned" players in Hill and Thomas. Bailey's not in football shape (his words) and you could tell. Some of his explosiveness was gone as was his quickness. However he still looked pretty good. On one play he broke up a pass intended for Brandon Marshall down field.

It's pretty clear how McDaniels is going to do his routine going forward. They run light drills, then do warm up jogging, high-stepping, lunges, etc. Then stretching. Then they work on positional drills that are usually centered around accomplishing something game related (tackling drills in open space, back-peddling and then exploding into a ball carrier. Offensive linemen working on getting off the ball, defensive linemen working on getting off the ball, etc.) Then they run drills with the linebackers and defensive linemen and the receivers and corners. Then they'll run situations to try certain plays against certain defensive packages. Finally they finished with a two minute offense and then did some cleanup work.

The defense overall had the edge today. This is completely typical of every camp I've been too. It usually takes the offense a good week or two to get going before you see what they can do. They are running everything. We saw two tight end sets and five wide. The screen play is an important part of the practices.

Gaffney and Royal get more work on the first team than Stokley or Marshall, thought both looked good. In one one one drills, Royal and Stokley were regularly beating their guys. Marshall didn't run very many routes at all. They mostly use him on quick passes and long passes like go's and posts. Alphonso Smith is just crazy. He's quick but explodes out of his stance so when he's breaking on a pass he's moving so fast it's got to hurt when he slams into guys. I heard Ed Donatell tell the secondary that he is "always going to have at least one safety over the center so if they want to run that way, fine. We'll light 'em up for it."

The full-speed collisions drill between the tight ends and the linebackers was a popular one. I was watching the receivers during this drill though.

They are still doing a lot of install. Nolan spent ten minutes on pre-snap adjustments and disgusing their packages. Lots of shifting and stunting. I've noticed so far he never blitzes but he does create a lot of movement. On one play after the TE went into motion he had the NT move outside to a 3 technique and the linebacker come down into the one technique (in this case Larsen) and then the end and WOLB linebacker stunted. I saw this front movement used a lot.

Players have to take a lap around the practice field if they mess up. Branstater fumbled the ball and during some running plays Nolan was pissed with the defense and made them do this as well.

During the two minute drills Orton was moving the ball until he threw to Andre Goodman for an interception much to the fans' chagrin. It appeared to me a miss-communication because no one was really near where the ball was thrown. Again, this is typical of the offense as it usually takes them a good week to get up to speed.

Overall it was very hot but the fans got to sit in the shade so it was a good time to go. I recommend anyone wanting to attend to try and do so. You get better seating than the press or VIP members.

I also was able to chat with Alphonso Smith and Tom Brandstater and Taco will have that audio up shortly.

ChampBailey24
08-01-2009, 05:25 PM
i love you

BlaK-Argentina
08-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Thank youuuuu!

illbroncsfn
08-01-2009, 05:26 PM
muchos gracias khan~

DeusExManning
08-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I did see the full collision drills, it was awesome, Graham annihilated someone and Hillis crushed Crowder.

Premier-Ace55
08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I did see the full collision drills, it was awesome, Graham annihilated someone and Hillis crushed Crowder.

Stink said today on Espn that the front 7 is garbage how are they looking to you.

UberBroncoMan
08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
The Taco interview will be the highlight of this day.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I heard Ed Donatell tell the secondary that he is "always going to have at least one safety over the center so if they want to run that way, fine. We'll light 'em up for it."

YEAH... BDawk is gonna make you pay for goin over the middle on this defense... YEYAH

broncofan2438
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Very nice, thanks

R8R H8R
08-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Khan. You helped ease my fix for the day.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 06:08 PM
preciate it khan...

CoopDawg
08-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks so much, appreciate your effort to type this out for us.

DeusExManning
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Stink said today on Espn that the front 7 is garbage how are they looking to you.

It is really hard to tell, this was my first training camp

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I need an update on dinner with the wife.

Where did you guys go and how many footballs would you rate it out of 10?

TheDave
08-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Bailey was back on the field today as were the other "unconditioned" players in Hill and Thomas. Bailey's not in football shape (his words) and you could tell. Some of his explosiveness was gone as was his quickness.

I don't get this...

Champ has suffered through a bunch of injuries the last couple of years, not to mention he played on one of the worst defenses EVER... Yet, somehow none of that motivated him to show up to camp in shape.

WTF?

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't get this...

Champ has suffered through a bunch of injuries the last couple of years, not to mention he played on one of the worst defenses EVER... Yet, somehow none of that motivated him to show up to camp in shape.

WTF?

Well they cut his brother the coach is younger than him, he has been injured and more impotantly Shanny didn't hold his players accountable to be in shape for camp and his camps were fluff. Champ fell into that comfort level is my theory. I now understand why this team went 8-8 and what not things were just the norm.

gobroncos313
08-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't get this...

WTF?

He failed the conditioning test which I assume was by some small technicality because only a day later he is on the field. But I agree he and every other player should show up in shape. Of course by "football shape" does he mean going out and mixing it up with other NFL players with pads on which I don't think could be replicated in the off season no matter how much lifting and running you do:strong:?

Northman
08-01-2009, 07:01 PM
What happened with the guy on the stretcher?

gobroncos313
08-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Well they cut his brother the coach is younger than him, he has been injured and more impotantly Shanny didn't hold his players accountable to be in shape for camp and his camps were fluff. Champ fell into that comfort level is my theory. I now understand why this team went 8-8 and what not things were just the norm.

IN my opinion the biggest problem the Denver Broncos have had the past several years is showing up on game day lackadaisical way too many times. From what I'm hearing everyone, including players, saying about how camp is being run differently it sure looks like Josh is addressing what I think has been our biggest problem the last few years.^5 Maybe we will see some toughness come game day under the new regime.

TheDave
08-01-2009, 07:06 PM

I think you're right... and that seriously pisses me off. I considered Champ to be one of the leaders on this team. Guess not.

I think the Brian Dawkins acquisition is looking better everyday... There sure wasn't any question about whether or not he was in shape.

By the way is this the final year of Champs deal?

tnedator
08-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I think you're right... and that seriously pisses me off. I considered Champ to be one of the leaders on this team. Guess not.

I think the Brian Dawkins acquisition is looking better everyday... There sure wasn't any question about whether or not he was in shape.

He is under contract this year and next.

As to motivation. If it wasn't an injury that led him to not stay in shape in the off season, that is dissapointing. He might have bought into the talk of the Broncos being horrible this year and didn't put in the effort he normally does, or he might always let himself go in the offseason. Since this 'conditioning test' is new, we don't know if Champ would have routinely failed, or if this is an anomoly.

Clearly he couldn't have been 'too' out of shape, since it only took him one extra day to pass the test. Maybe he staye up partying the night before.

Northman
08-01-2009, 07:15 PM

As to motivation. If it wasn't an injury that led him to not stay in shape in the off season, that is dissapointing. He might have bought into the talk of the Broncos being horrible this year and didn't put in the effort he normally does, or he might always let himself go in the offseason. Since this 'conditioning test' is new, we don't know if Champ would have routinely failed, or if this is an anomoly.

Clearly he couldn't have been 'too' out of shape, since it only took him one extra day to pass the test. Maybe he staye up partying the night before.

Well, for a guy who is talking about wanting to get that ring before its too late he is off to a poor start.

NUB
08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Didn't Bailey have elbow surgery during the offseason?

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, for a guy who is talking about wanting to get that ring before its too late he is off to a poor start.

Yep he came across as a serious hypocrite talking about staying up at night desiring a championship only to take the 30 days off as vacation and not ready to start camp.

Yeah he may have been out a day but the facts are he wasn't ready to pass the first conditioning test. Lesser athletes passed it with no problem why couldn't he?

TheDave

and thats all possible... I just expect more out of players that are suposedly the best at their position and talked about as future HOF'ers. This defense needs everyone on deck just to pull itself out of the cellar, and when a guy like him shows up at less than his best... well... it tells me something about his mindset.

End result...Champ showing up out of shape is just unacceptable to me

lex

In January. Within the last week he said he was 100%.

tnedator
08-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Agreed.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Yes in January, its now August people have had surgery much closer to camp and have been fine so that excuse is moot.

tnedator
08-01-2009, 07:21 PM
and thats all possible... I just expect more out of players that are suposedly the best at their position and talked about as future HOF'ers. This defense needs everyone on deck just to pull itself out of the cellar, and when a guy like him shows up at less than his best... well... it tells me something about his mindset.

End result...Champ showing up out of shape is just unacceptable to me

Can't disagree with much that you say.

One question though. How does a guy fail a test Thursday afternoon or Friday morning (I think they did the tests Friday morning) and therefore is out of shape, but then 24 hours later he can pass it?

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Yes in January, its now August people have had surgery much closer to camp and have been fine so that excuse is moot.

It is a 1st time HC who is only 2 years older than Champ putting Champ in his place.

It is great if it works...

Apa, did you guys see Wayne Huizenga's plane today?

LOL

TheDave
08-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Can't disagree with much that you say.

One question though. How does a guy fail a test Thursday afternoon or Friday morning (I think they did the tests Friday morning) and therefore is out of shape, but then 24 hours later he can pass it?

Probably a combo of being a little out of shape and a little don't give a ****... and it's the give a **** that has me worried.

TheDave
08-01-2009, 07:26 PM
It is a 1st time HC who is only 2 years older than Champ putting Champ in his place.

LOL

FWIW... I bet Gene would of shown up in shape. :approve:

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:33 PM

LOL

Not sure what you are talking about here but if you must know Hizenga and Snyders plane are in Denver on a regular basis as they have business interest here.

But again I am missing your attempt at miss direction from the fact that your boy Cutler and Shanny are gone for good reason. But hey whatever floats your boat.

Northman
08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
The Punter from last year was in more shape than Bailey and thats saying a lot. :)

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Not sure what you are talking about here but if you must know Hizenga and Snyders plane are in Denver on a regular basis as they have business interest here.

But again I am missing your attempt at miss direction from the fact that your boy Cutler and Shanny are gone for good reason. But hey whatever floats your boat.

I am joking, man you got thin skin.

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 07:47 PM
FWIW... I bet Gene would of shown up in shape. :approve:

Gene knows better than push his guys around.

All those dudes were around the same age during Merc/Gem/Apollo. Gene never called anyone out and knew how to manage teams with lives on the line.

Maybe I should send McStalin a copy of Faliure is not an option.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:48 PM
No you aren't joking judging by your multiple thread arguments and rep comments towards me. Fact is you are having a hard time getting over Shanahan and Cutler and anything positive from camp you are going to try and shoot down. Thats your issue though. I for one think the new camp and philosophy is great.

maher_tyler
08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Probably a combo of being a little out of shape and a little don't give a ****... and it's the give a **** that has me worried.

I'm pretty sure Champ Bailey is the last player on this team you need to worry about..he's been the best player on the team since he's been here and one of top CB's in the league for years!! For all we know he didn't want to re-aggrivate the groin injury so was taking it lightly on the conditioning this offseason, who knows for sure. Me personally, not to worried about it.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Champ Bailey is the last player on this team you need to worry about..he's been the best player on the team since he's been here and one of top CB's in the league for years!! For all we know he didn't want to re-aggrivate the groin injury so was taking it lightly on the conditioning this offseason, who knows for sure. Me personally, not to worried about it.

Champ used to be the best player on this team but that is no longer. I am confident enough to say that Royal is by far the best player on this team.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Champ used to be the best player on this team but that is no longer. I am confident enough to say that Royal is by far the best player on this team.

Oooh... Not sure about that one. Not even sure he's the best WR on this team. Brandon Marshall may be a basket case and may be extremely frustrating, but you cannot take away from him that he is the best WR on this team. To suggest otherwise... well, you'll be in the minority for sure.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Dawkins... how about the Alphonso Smith pick???:thumbsup:

tnedator
08-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Well, I haven't been to camp, so can only base my opinion on last year's play. Based on last year, the 'best' player would have to be Clady or Marshall, with Royal in the top 5.

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 07:56 PM
No you aren't joking judging by your multiple thread arguments and rep comments towards me. Fact is you are having a hard time getting over Shanahan and Cutler and anything positive from camp you are going to try and shoot down. Thats your issue though. I for one think the new camp and philosophy is great.

LOL = joke, to me anyway...

Only a Commie would not welcome a different viewpoint. You a Commie? I hear Commies are into brainwashing, maybe McStalin is piping in Commie brainwash disinformation under that music and you are brainwashed into thinking Crowder=HIXON/MIKE BELL.

LOL

LOTS OF LAUGHS

THE REFERENCES TO STALIN OR COMMIES ARE A JOKE!

ENJOY TC.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Oooh... Not sure about that one. Not even sure he's the best WR on this team. Brandon Marshall may be a basket case and may be extremely frustrating, but you cannot take away from him that he is the best WR on this team. To suggest otherwise... well, you'll be in the minority for sure.

Royal is faster has better hands and runs 10 times better routes than Marshall. Royal is heads an tails above Marshall. I feel confident saying that because Marshall is a flavor clown to busy worrying about his paycheck and status. If he dedicated himself and showed what Royal does than you have a point. But until then you are way off base.

gyldenlove
08-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Only a Commie would not welcome a different viewpoint. You a Commie? I hear Commies are into brainwashing, maybe McStalin is piping in Commie brainwash disinformation under that music and you are brainwashed into thinking Crowder=HIXON/MIKE BELL.

LOL

LOTS OF LAUGHS

ENJOY TC.

So FOX news is communist? It is good to hear the legacy of Senator Mccarthy lives on, because I swear countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have a really hard time with different view points, but you won't find a lot of countries in the world who are less communist than those.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 07:59 PM

LOL

LOTS OF LAUGHS

ENJOY TC.

No, nice try though. You have constantly talked down about McDaniels and called him McStalin. Nice try with the joke take though but fact is you are pissed Shanny and Cutler are gone and hate any positive remarks about the new regime.....

:yayaya:

And since when have you ever taken me as seriously as you have regardless of how serious I sound.

:)

lex
08-01-2009, 08:01 PM
No, nice try though. You have constantly talked down about McDaniels and called him McStalin. Nice try with the joke take though but fact is you are pissed Shanny and Cutler are gone and hate any positive remarks about the new regime.....

And since when have you ever taken me as seriously as you have regardless of how serious I sound.

McDaniels has a lot to prove. No one is obligated to give their blind support to him.

Killericon
08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Champ's the man, guys. Noone complained about how Shanny treated Nails back in the day. Some guys just earn the privilege to slack off a little in the early parts of camp.

McDaniels has a lot to prove. No one is obligated to give their blind support to him.

Of course. And noone is obligated to say nothing back to the people who choose not to support him(Let's not kid ourselves...At this point, any support is blind).

maher_tyler
08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Royal is faster has better hands and runs 10 times better routes than Marshall. Royal is heads an tails above Marshall. I feel confident saying that because Marshall is a flavor clown to busy worrying about his paycheck and status. If he dedicated himself and showed what Royal does than you have a point. But until then you are way off base.

I wont label Royal the best player or even WR on the team or even Clady just yet. You don't have multi 100+ catch seasons by running crappy routes etc. I do think that if BM had Royal's work ethic he'd be in Larry Fitz's ball park. I'm still labeling Champ the best player on the team until someone else can do it consistantly for more than 1 season. Going back to the NE game, Moss was pretty much non-existant until Champ got hurt...when Champ went out thats when that game got out of control..Moss was making plays left and right!!

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 08:08 PM

I am not saying everyone must buy in. I am saying constantly calling him out and calling him names is blindly writing him off. Which in my eyes is just as bad as blindly following him.

Come next year we can talk about him as he will have a body of work. But you guys are making others who want to give him a chance feel like they are idiots. When in reality we may be right.

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Come on, I love the Purge allusion, it is all have to make me warm and fuzzy after I lost my PRO-BOWL QB and 2 Time SB winning HC!

(I am joking POPS and APA and the other McStalin lovers) The McStalin lover part was a joke also, except for pops maybe, nope it is a joke, I don't like lumping people into groups. That is something stinking Commies would do and Gene and I make Commies eat moonrocks.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I wont label Royal the best player or even WR on the team or even Clady just yet. You don't have multi 100+ catch seasons by running crappy routes etc. I do think that if BM had Royal's work ethic he'd be in Larry Fitz's ball park. I'm still labeling Champ the best player on the team until someone else can do it consistantly for more than 1 season. Going back to the NE game, Moss was pretty much non-existant until Champ got hurt...when Champ went out thats when that game got out of control..Moss was making plays left and right!!

Marshall had the benefit of a over confident fundamentally unsound QB forcing balls to him. The 100+ catches are a farce when you look at the other stats like TD's. Marshall also was one of the tops in the league in drops but yet people are quick to forget that.

TheDave
08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Dawkins... how about the Alphonso Smith pick???:thumbsup:

eh... I'm just talking about the leadership standpoint. We will see what Alphonso can do this year (and what draft slot we gave up to get him)

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I am not saying everyone must buy in. I am saying constantly calling him out and calling him names is blindly writing him off. Which in my eyes is just as bad as blindly following him.

Come next year we can talk about him as he will have a body of work. But you guys are making others who want to give him a chance feel like they are idiots. When in reality we may be right.

AHHHH but it is not blind on my part. I don't like his offseason mistakes, after 8/13 he can earn his real name but since I can't go to camp this year I won't be able to drink the Kool-aid until I see the product for myself.

He doesn't even have to win to turn me into a Comrad, but I aint turning commie until I see with my own eyes.

Anyway I hope Crowder wins the job. I also hope he has competition.

tnedator
08-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Unless Bowlen fires McDaniels and trades our other first rounder to St. Louis to get them to release Spags from his contract and have him sign with the Broncos, Lex will be bashing the Denver coach. Don't waste your time trying to reason with him.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
AHHHH but it is not blind on my part. I don't like his offseason mistakes, after 8/13 he can earn his real name but since I can't go to camp this year I won't be able to drink the Kool-aid until I see the product for myself.

He doesn't even have to win to turn me into a Comrad, but I aint turning commie until I see with my own eyes.

Anyway I hope Crowder wins the job. I also hope he has competition.

McD hasn't made an offseason mistake you just think he has. But thats your issue not mine!

lex
08-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Unless Bowlen fires McDaniels and trades our other first rounder to St. Louis to get them to release Spags from his contract and have him sign with the Broncos, Lex will be bashing the Denver coach. Don't waste your time trying to reason with him.

You cant do that anymore, dumbass.

TheDave
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
McD hasn't made an offseason mistake you just think he has. But thats your issue not mine!

see this is what makes these conversations dificult... Every team has made mistakes this offseason, McDaniels included. What they are and how they will affect the team remain to be seen.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 08:21 PM
see this is what makes these conversations dificult... Every team has made mistakes this offseason, McDaniels included. What they are and how they will affect the team remain to be seen.

McD has made plenty of mistakes... The only question is whether he can coach himself out of those mistakes.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Yes you have a point they all have. But many here are calling his moves ridiculous and wrong when in realitly one or maybe two are potentially wrong!

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
McD has made plenty of mistakes... The only question is whether he can coach himself out of those mistakes.

No actually he hasn't you just assume he has and you are wrong.:yayaya:

underrated29
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
and let there be another jay/mcdaniels thread.......

TheDave
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes you have a point they all have. But many here are calling his moves ridiculous and wrong when in realitly one or maybe two are potentially wrong!

Time will tell...

broncosteven
08-01-2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks for making the point I was not smart enough to make.

maher_tyler
08-01-2009, 08:37 PM
and let there be another jay/mcdaniels thread.......

You've only seen a fraction of it...people here just can't let **** go!! It will only get worse if we have a bad season!! Only way to shut these guys up is if we start winning and even then they'll find reasons to bitch about something...

tnedator
08-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Hey, I'm not a McD hater, but I do believe he has made rookie head coaching mistakes. Then again my opinion doesn't really matter, but his boss, the Broncos' owner, has also stated that McDaniel's has made rookie mistakes.

tnedator
08-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Ahhh, you're just sore, because TJ has avvies turned off and you can't have your Spags avvy on display. It's ok, you can look at the picture of him you keep on your desk. ;)

lex
08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Ahhh, you're just sore, because TJ has avvies turned off and you can't have your Spags avvy on display. It's ok, you can look at the picture of him you keep on your desk. ;)

No, sorry. Youre too much of a dumbass for me to be sore. LOL.

And no, Im not going to give you money, so dont start begging.

theAPAOps5
08-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey, I'm not a McD hater, but I do believe he has made rookie head coaching mistakes. Then again my opinion doesn't really matter, but his boss, the Broncos' owner, has also stated that McDaniel's has made rookie mistakes.

Yeah but not what you and others think are the mistakes. Thats the point. Cutler wanted out I know that for a fact. Before McD got hired he wanted out. He was exposed as a drunk fraud and wanted to pull his crap elsewhere. Yet McD gets labled as the bad guy.

Its the biggest joke on this board, on your board, and on others. By the way you are spending a lot of time here! Whats the reason?

Premier-Ace55
08-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Yo this is kinda off topic now but Brandon Marshall to me is still better than royal he is the most explosive reciever on the team and the hardest to cover. Royal has great hands and runs great routes but I believe Brandon is better after the catch and a harder matchup. That being said Ryan Clady might be the best player on the team if he can continue to play at the level he played at last year. I'm also extemely impressed w/peyton hillis

montrose
08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
As far as the conditioning tests go, there usually a series of grueling sprints in which each position is timed out to where they must absolutly max out sprinting to make it in time. If Champ, or any other player, so much as slacked for a day or two it could make the difference in passing one of them.

I love Champ and still think he's a great CB but my confidence in Alphonso Smith is so high that Champ could retire tomorrow and I wouldn't be too nervous.

rugbythug
08-01-2009, 09:17 PM
As far as the conditioning tests go, there usually a series of grueling sprints in which each position is timed out to where they must absolutly max out sprinting to make it in time. If Champ, or any other player, so much as slacked for a day or two it could make the difference in passing one of them.

I love Champ and still think he's a great CB but my confidence in Alphonso Smith is so high that Champ could retire tomorrow and I wouldn't be too nervous.

That makes one of us. We said the same about Darrent Back in the day but he was getting worked at the end.

I need to bump my old crowder post from winter time. People around here are making way to much of his not suiting last year. I mean Slowick was making the decision-You trust that guy?? He thought Engleberger was our best DE. As I Remember Crowder had a sack in 4 games straight as a Rookie. Take the Shackles off of him and let him go. Crowder is probably the biggest reason we did not take Orakpo.

tnedator
08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah but not what you and others think are the mistakes. Thats the point. Cutler wanted out I know that for a fact. Before McD got hired he wanted out. He was exposed as a drunk fraud and wanted to pull his crap elsewhere. Yet McD gets labled as the bad guy.

Its the biggest joke on this board, on your board, and on others. By the way you are spending a lot of time here! Whats the reason?

I did last year during camp as well. You guys have guys going to camp, so during preseason I talk football here and on BF. During the regular season, mostly on BF, but still check in here. First and foremost I am a 'fan' of the Broncos.

Greybeard
08-01-2009, 10:17 PM

I see somebody forgot to put the tools away . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thcoffee.gif

-----

Greybeard
08-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Take a look at his join date, Apa. He was here before you or me.

But I'm with you on the Cutler thing. When it happened, I was beyond pissed.
I thought at that time the biggest mistake was naming McDaniels the coach.
But now I don't believe jettisoning Cutler was a mistake at all. I believe Cutler's
whining and lying brought through his true colors, and I got tired of it.

And I do believe the Broncos just undressed the Bears in the trade. They not
only ended up with Ayers and Alphonso Smith over it, but also Orton, who I
believe may end up a better QB for the Broncos because, while he may not be
as physically gifted as Cutler, he has it together more between the ears . . .

-----

Blueflame
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Are you calling Pat Bowlen a liar, then? :P

Blueflame
08-01-2009, 10:55 PM

Which thread are we posting on, Apa? Thread title alone says why any Bronco fan would be here. :~ohyah!:

(big props to all the guys who have provided the TC reports, btw...)

Sassy
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM

For that matter, I haven't exactly been impressed with Bowlen's actions or lack of lately either.

tnedator
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
For that matter, I haven't exactly been impressed with Bowlen's actions or lack of lately either.

Or his memory. The whole forgetting he talked to Cutler right after firing Shanahan was a bit scary.

Sassy
08-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Or his memory. The whole forgetting he talked to Cutler right after firing Shanahan was a bit scary.

Exactly!

Blueflame
08-01-2009, 11:09 PM

What I noticed was... the moment there was the slightest hint of a rumor that controversy could be brewing in Chicago (Urlacher-Cutler), Lovie Smith was immediately all over the sports media trying to put a stop to the wild speculation. Contrast that with allowing the "tried to trade Cutler for Cassel" circus that was allowed to go unresolved (and with no "official" statement from the Broncos) for 3+ weeks....

baja
08-02-2009, 12:37 AM
All the " woe is me" hand wringing is cute but where the hell is the audio interview....

16slayer24
08-02-2009, 01:50 AM
brandon had 100+ catches 2 years in a row royal had a great rookie year stpkley get first dos not a bad trio and what does mcdaniels have to prove??

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Which thread are we posting on, Apa? Thread title alone says why any Bronco fan would be here. :~ohyah!:

(big props to all the guys who have provided the TC reports, btw...)

Where in the code did it say I can't ask a member of another forum a question? I asked because I was curious not because I don't think he shouldn't post here. Assumptions are very dangerous Blue and I don't appreciate yours

:sunshine: :wiggle:

Drek
08-02-2009, 05:37 AM

I think Pat was just covering his ass with that comment personally.

Cutler outright called McDaniels a liar in a public forum. He didn't get traded.

He repeated the same insinuations by saying he didn't feel like he could trust McDaniels, again in a public forum. He didn't get traded.

He repeatedly refused to have any conversations with McDaniels that didn't include his agent, a person known for being very aggressive (nice way of putting it) with QBs looking for a change of scenery. He didn't get traded.

He starts saying he 'can't trust the organization' instead of McDaniels and doesn't return Pat Bowlen's phone calls for a few days. Traded in less than a week.

The only mistake McDaniels has made is not being quick to utilize the local media. The current pantheon of local beat writers and sports reporters in Denver is pretty damn pathetic though, so I can see why he didn't feel too compelled to make time for them when nationally relevant reporters wanted to talk instead. He didn't begin an aggressive PR war after the fact like Cook and Cutler did, that is just about the only thing you could say he's made a mistake on.

That and possibly the Alphonso Smith trade, but with the news about Champ and Smith's impressive early start (not to mention an impressive collegiate career), along with the dearth of high level CB talent in this year's junior and senior college classes, it might turn out to have been a fairly prophetic move to secure a quality man cover corner sooner than later.

backup qb
08-02-2009, 07:22 AM
thanks for the report

Rohirrim
08-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reports, Khan. Highly appreciated. :thumbs:

Los Broncos
08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks khan good stuff.

fido
08-02-2009, 09:02 AM
much appreciated, thnx

~Crash~
08-02-2009, 09:50 AM
What I noticed was... the moment there was the slightest hint of a rumor that controversy could be brewing in Chicago (Urlacher-Cutler), Lovie Smith was immediately all over the sports media trying to put a stop to the wild speculation. Contrast that with allowing the "tried to trade Cutler for Cassel" circus that was allowed to go unresolved (and with no "official" statement from the Broncos) for 3+ weeks....

Add to that Bowlen getting by the 49'ers security to hire Mike Shanahan after the SB and you wonder what is going on with Pat? he seems lost . I think all of this is more about money and some what about SB's ...

underrated29
08-02-2009, 10:12 AM
No, sorry. Youre too much of a dumbass for me to be sore. LOL.

And no, Im not going to give you money, so dont start begging.

Lex- didnt you get perma-banned?

How would you expect to give money if you cant show up.

cousinal11
08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
This is not the first time I've heard someone say Eddie Royal looked like the best player on the field.

I'm looking for 100+ receptions and over 1000 yards from him this year.

Cmac821
08-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Khan. You helped ease my fix for the day.

I know, my cold sweating and shaking is now dissipating

lex
08-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Lex- didnt you get perma-banned?

How would you expect to give money if you cant show up.

Youre not very smart.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Youre not very smart.

No.

Your comebacks just suck.

:afro:

Requiem
08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
U29, don't hate on Lex -- he is good people.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:23 AM
No.

Your comebacks just suck.

:afro:

No, its true. You really have no clue. None of what you said changes the fact that he was begging for money. Youre just flailingly throwing **** against the wall while totally whiffing on the obvious...which is none of what you said precludes what I said.

Like I said, clueless.

OABB
08-02-2009, 10:27 AM
U29, don't hate on Lex -- he is good people.

I was fine with you attacking a family member of a poster by making fun of his retarded nephew, but to defend Lex is banworthy IMO.

what the **** is wrong with you?

Requiem
08-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Lex, aw -- don't bring the money into this.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Lex, aw -- don't bring the money into this.

Whats done is done. Ill back off of the money thing though. Theres other stuff on Waffleboy.

Requiem
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
what the **** is wrong with you?

I don't have a problem with Lex -- he's never pissed in my Cheerios. I realize that he has with others (probably a lot), but I generally enjoy his takes on the draft and Broncos football, even if I disagree with him. At any case, it is the internet. Don't get too riled up.

Requiem
08-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Whats done is done. Ill back off of the money thing though. Theres other stuff on Waffleboy.

I thought there was already a Waffle Boy here on the Mane that was a Steelers fan?

lex
08-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I thought there was already a Waffle Boy here on the Mane that was a Steelers fan?

Perhaps there is/was. But Waffleboy is the name Ned earned from his tribe when he was young. I guess in my mind that makes it more valid.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't have a problem with Lex -- he's never pissed in my Cheerios. I realize that he has with others (probably a lot), but I generally enjoy his takes on the draft and Broncos football, even if I disagree with him. At any case, it is the internet. Don't get too riled up.

obb's parents fed him ritalin instead of cheerios. You shouldnt take him seriously. Plus, he's obsessed with me. He follows me around everywhere.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Sorry Chris...

No, its true. You really have no clue. None of what you said changes the fact that he was begging for money. Youre just flailingly throwing **** against the wall while totally whiffing on the obvious...which is none of what you said precludes what I said.

Like I said, clueless.

Right.

I am sure he sent you an email begging for money after you got permed.

But lex, i dont care man. I didnt come to the OM to get in between you and Tned and your guys little fued. I am here for the reports.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Sorry Chris...

Right.

But lex, i dont care man. I didnt come to the OM to get in between you and Tned and your guys little fued. I am here for the reports.

Who said anything about after, dink? Like I said, nothing you said precludes any of what I said. Why that escaped you, I have no idea. Perhaps, its because youre not exactly smart?

If you dont want to be part of it, you shouldnt have stuck your nose in it but, moreover, you shouldnt have said something so amazingly stupid.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Lex/Req, I'm guessing that TJ doesn't want BF to be the topic of threads. Any chance you guys can give it a rest and get back to football talk?

OABB
08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
obb's parents fed him ritalin instead of cheerios. You shouldnt take him seriously.

Here's a tip dickwad, if a lame joke doesn't work the first 300 times, it's time to chuck it for another joke.

I know you have funny in you, you just got to work it out.

like remember that time you said that Kobe never hit a game winning shot/ That was HILARIOUS!

or the time you freaked out over drafting Clady instead of mendenhall?

That was a KEEPER.

just don't try so hard to be funny, and I guarantee you'll say something that will make us all laugh.

Perhaps you could work up a new list of closeted patriots fans...

lex
08-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Lex/Req, I'm guessing that TJ doesn't want BF to be the topic of threads. Any chance you guys can give it a rest and get back to football talk?

First of all, you should worry about your own board and let TJ run the Mane. Secondly, youre the one who started the fights.

Dont go picking fights and then run and hide by trying to insert yourself into TJ's shoes.

Requiem
08-02-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm not discussing BF. I was discussing Lex. So, I'm not sure what you are really getting at, considering you have yet to talk football while being here pissing in our ears the past few days. If you want to talk football, talk football. Coming over here and calling me a dick and starting stuff doesn't sound like football talk to me. Lets be a little less hypocritical next time. :wave:

underrated29
08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Who said anything about after, dink? Like I said, nothing you said precludes any of what I said. Why that escaped you, I have no idea. Perhaps, its because youre not exactly smart?

If you dont want to be part of it, you shouldnt have stuck your nose in it but, moreover, you shouldnt have said something so amazingly stupid.

Well i find it hard to believe that he sent you an emial for $ within the last few days,after the perm but if he did then i am sorry. I dont know if he did, i dont care if he did, or if you are making it up like your library of scouting tapes you have.

So lets leave it at that. When i saw your comment it made no sense. But perhaps he did afterwards. Once again though thats not the topic of the thread.

Im off to the pool in a few minutes hopefully you can do the same so when i come back i see camp reports instead of you trying to insult me.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Well i find it hard to believe that he sent you an emial for $ within the last few days,after the perm but if he did then i am sorry. I dont know if he did, i dont care if he did, or if you are making it up like your library of scouting tapes you have.

So lets leave it at that. When i saw your comment it made no sense. But perhaps he did afterwards. Once again though thats not the topic of the thread.

Im off to the pool in a few minutes hopefully you can do the same so when i come back i see camp reports instead of you trying to insult me.

I feel sorry for you.

Requiem
08-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Back to topic: Khan's Reporting

He better step it up or he'll be gone during the first round of camp reporter cuts.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 10:54 AM

I've never sent anyone an email asking for $$$.

Let's get back to discussing the camp reports and training camp, which is why we are here.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I've never sent anyone an email asking for $$$.

Let's get back to discussing the camp reports and training camp, which is why we are here.

Apparently youre here to pick fights.

barryr
08-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Moss is thinking of retiring? Now not only talent is lacking, but desire to play? I'm wondering if his heart was truly in it from the start of his career. Some guys only want it bad enough if it comes easy. If they have to work really hard, it's not worth it to them. Moss may be one of those types of guys.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Moss is thinking of retiring? Now not only talent is lacking, but desire to play? I'm wondering if his heart was truly in it from the start of his career. Some guys only want it bad enough if it comes easy. If they have to work really hard, it's not worth it to them. Moss may be one of those types of guys.

Marcus Thomas said that Moss said he would be back at practice tomorrow.

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 11:07 AM

Marshall I think you have overrated. I agree with Apa.

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 11:13 AM

You're being charitable. I'm into ridiculing those who have been ragging on Mc(insert childish name).

lex
08-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Why does it even matter who is the better of Royal or Marshall? Each of them makes the other one better by keeping things open for each other. And theyre too distinctly different in a way where, each of their strengths may match up well against certain teams/players vs others. For example, if there is a short DB who is very agile, Marshall can be physical and use his height. In that matchup, Marshall is perhaps better than Royal. If its a situation where quickness and speed mean more, then Royal has more value.

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Yo this is kinda off topic now but Brandon Marshall to me is still better than royal he is the most explosive reciever on the team and the hardest to cover. Royal has great hands and runs great routes but I believe Brandon is better after the catch and a harder matchup. That being said Ryan Clady might be the best player on the team if he can continue to play at the level he played at last year. I'm also extemely impressed w/peyton hillis

Don't make me laugh.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Why does it even matter who is the better of Royal or Marshall? Each of them makes the other one better by keeping things open for each other. And theyre too distinctly different in a way where, each of their strengths may match up well against certain teams/players vs others. For example, if there is a short DB who is very agile, Marshall can be physical and use his height. In that matchup, Marshall is perhaps better than Royal. If its a situation where quickness and speed mean more, then Royal has more value.

100% agree here.

They are two very different types of WR too. There is no way to compare the two. Although that doesnt stop a lot of people trying to. Lex nailed it pretty well here what and why.

And ftr i wouldnt expect brandons numbers to dip much if at all. He might see less looks, but i think his yac and tds will go up big time. Even against hellish schedule we face.

Kaylore
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I know most people are in this thread for the pissing match at this point, but FYI the interviews I got with Alphonso Smith and Brandstater are up in the Audio thread.

theAPAOps5
08-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I know most people are in this thread for the pissing match at this point, but FYI the interviews I got with Alphonso Smith and Brandstater are up in the Audio thread.

You suck jerky mcjerkerson. Thanks I saw and listened. You have a voice of an angel you jerk mcjerk :thanku:

Blueflame
08-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I think Pat was just covering his ass with that comment personally.

Cutler outright called McDaniels a liar in a public forum. He didn't get traded.

He repeated the same insinuations by saying he didn't feel like he could trust McDaniels, again in a public forum. He didn't get traded.

He repeatedly refused to have any conversations with McDaniels that didn't include his agent, a person known for being very aggressive (nice way of putting it) with QBs looking for a change of scenery. He didn't get traded.

He starts saying he 'can't trust the organization' instead of McDaniels and doesn't return Pat Bowlen's phone calls for a few days. Traded in less than a week.

The only mistake McDaniels has made is not being quick to utilize the local media. The current pantheon of local beat writers and sports reporters in Denver is pretty damn pathetic though, so I can see why he didn't feel too compelled to make time for them when nationally relevant reporters wanted to talk instead. He didn't begin an aggressive PR war after the fact like Cook and Cutler did, that is just about the only thing you could say he's made a mistake on.

That and possibly the Alphonso Smith trade, but with the news about Champ and Smith's impressive early start (not to mention an impressive collegiate career), along with the dearth of high level CB talent in this year's junior and senior college classes, it might turn out to have been a fairly prophetic move to secure a quality man cover corner sooner than later.

Human beings make mistakes. McDaniels is a human being; hence he makes mistakes.

Greybeard
08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Apparently youre here to pick fights.

One doesn't have to "pick" a fight with you. Fights just seem to find you . . .

Sorry Chris...

Right.

It seems just about anytime one finds oneself in the same thread as Lex, one
has to work oneself around a feud . . . LOL

-----

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 03:41 PM

I like this Al Smith kid, seems like he'll be a nice, solid addition to the team.

lex
08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I like this Al Smith kid, seems like he'll be a nice, solid addition to the team.

I dont think anyone dislikes him. Its how he was drafted that people question. Although, there are also some who expected more DLine help than what he represents. The guy is a player though.

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I dont think anyone dislikes him. Its how he was drafted that people question. Although, there are also some who expected more DLine help than what he represents. The guy is a player though.

Yup, that's the bitching. I don't care, myself. I don't see why people ragged on him before they even saw him in TC.

lex
08-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Yup, that's the b****ing. I don't care, myself. I don't see why people ragged on him before they even saw him in TC.

I dont really have a problem taking this guy but I have a problem with trading next years first to do it. I think we had enough ammo with the two 3rds to move up and get him. Its just important to realize that criticism of the pick isnt necessarily criticism of the player.

Cito Pelon
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I dont really have a problem taking this guy but I have a problem with trading next years first to do it. I think we had enough ammo with the two 3rds to move up and get him. Its just important to realize that criticism of the pick isnt necessarily criticism of the player.

Nope. They had to trade what they did or not get Al Smith, period.

My attitude is don't saddle the kid with the baggage "they traded too much for him". It's unfair to the kid, and he's a good kid.

lex
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Nope. They had to trade what they did or not get Al Smith, period.
My attitude is don't saddle the kid with the baggage "they traded too much for him". It's unfair to the kid, and he's a good kid.

Thats suspect.

OBF1
08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Come on, I love the Purge allusion, it is all have to make me warm and fuzzy after I lost my PRO-BOWL QB and 2 Time SB winning HC!

(I am joking POPS and APA and the other McStalin lovers) The McStalin lover part was a joke also, except for pops maybe, nope it is a joke, I don't like lumping people into groups. That is something stinking Commies would do and Gene and I make Commies eat moonrocks.

I like you buddy, but if no one else gets the joke, It must not be funny.

broncosteven
08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I like you buddy, but if no one else gets the joke, It must not be funny.

Thats ok, I am too paranoid that if I post "McStalin" ever again (minus this time) the ATF will smash my door down and waterboard me and my family.

It has lost it's fun after today.

lex
08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Thats ok, I am too paranoid that if I post "McStalin" ever again (minus this time) the ATF will smash my door down and waterboard me and my family.

It has lost it's fun after today.

And it would be Taco who would turn you in.

fdf
08-02-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm generally a McDaniel's supporter. But successful people usually make a lot of mistakes. But they are out there taking risks and making judgments that everyone else second guesses a year later. They aren't scared to do that. More timid people make fewer mistakes and usually achieve less.

El Guapo
08-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Just getting around to reading the OP. Great report, and I look forward to more. Thanks!

outdoor_miner
08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm generally a McDaniel's supporter. But successful people usually make a lot of mistakes. But they are out there taking risks and making judgments that everyone else second guesses a year later. They aren't scared to do that. More timid people make fewer mistakes and usually achieve less.

This is true, especially in business. The most successful businessmen are not afraid of failure, and often choose the path with the highest risk (and highest reward). They take chances and move forward aggressively once a decision has been made. Some risky decisions work and some don't. They are not afraid to admit when one ends up a failure, and they will dump it quickly and move on to the next thing. They will not hang on to a bad decision out of pride.

You can absolutely see this mentality in McDaniels, but I especially noticed it in the draft. After dealing for Cutler, he definitely did not take a "low risk" path. The low risk path would have been to draft a bunch of D-Lineman, and play it safe. Instead, he drafted Moreno, and traded next year's first for Alphonso. This is tremendously ballsy, and shows that he is not concerned about outside perception. Some could argue that this is stupidity, but I've seen enough of McDaniels to know he's not stupid. He has a vision and he is executing on it.

Note - I am not saying that McDaniels is absolutely going to be successful as a head coach. Just that he possesses the above characteristic.