PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fantasy Drafts #1 Pick

Pontius Pirate
08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Seems like a lot of debate this year on who the #1 pick should be. I thought it would be AP, but I'm hearing a lot of MJD and Michael Turner.

Thoughts?

broncofan7
08-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Kyle 'freakin' Orton...book it.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 12:09 PM
this year more than any it truly depends on the scoring rules...

is it 50/50 yardage to TD ratio?...25/75?...75/25?...

plus do u count ppr?...do you bonus for length of TD?...

in a standard 50/50 rules i would suggest MJD as the top pick...

he is a proven TD scorer with a soon to be increased workload...

i like AP but he's one dimensional (doesn't catch passes) and he only scored like 10 tds last season...the vikes have such a littany of offensive options in the redzone...AP has to share with Taylor & Harvin...plus due to their lack of passing game, the vikes can expect 9 mine fronts in the redzone making it even tougher on AP...

broncswin
08-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Seems like a lot of debate this year on who the #1 pick should be. I thought it would be AP, but I'm hearing a lot of MJD and Michael Turner.

Thoughts?

No question, if you get your hands on AP(freak) take him, Turner will not get to last years stats by far. MJD is the second choice behind AP, but is a very good choice!:thumbs:

BroncoMan4ever
08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Drew is interesting, but i can't see him being the number 1 pick. it is hard to gauge whether him being paired with Taylor was a good thing or was limiting his output. also with the drafting of Rashard Jennings(should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick) complicates things because Jennings will begin to take carries from Drew by the middle of the season

Turner is an interesting idea, but it has to be wondered whether he will be able to duplicate last season when teams are going to begin to come up with gameplans specifically designed to stop him. last season he in a way came from out of nowhere, and teams didn't quite know what to make of him yet, but with a year of game film it is going to be different for him next season.

i'd stick with AP.

also, don't fall for a lot of the inevitable idiots who will try to offer you Moss or Brady for him. their numbers will be nowhere near what they were 2 years ago.

underrated29
08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Anyony who bypasses AP is a freaking idiot!

MJD is good but #1 no way in hell, plus i have a sneaky suspicion that he will either A) get hurt, or B) lose TD carries to Rashad Jennings.

Rashad Jennings is a stud, his problem is he lacks top end speed. but he has strength, power, some decent moves and he can also catch somewhat well. Book it that he will chew into MJD carries a lot this year.

Turner- Not even close, the guy will not see nearly as many carries this year. And despite what everyone thinks, i think ATL is HIGHLY overrated. He is still a top 3 pick, but the falcons are going to have a lot harder time scoring this year than lasts. Last year they had a cake schedule. This year, not so much.

ludo21
08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I would take AP, but its tough. I wonder if Brady is going to be worth a First round pick this year?

underrated29
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I would take AP, but its tough. I wonder if Brady is going to be worth a First round pick this year?

If TDs are worth 6, i say abso-f'ing-lutley, at the end of the first, maybe early second. IMO.

cutthemdown
08-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I need a good top 100 player cheat sheet. Last yr I had Caddy and Mcgahee so you pretty much know my team stunk. I need help!!!!

gunns
08-01-2009, 12:47 PM
From what I've heard of those doing mock drafts Petersen is always #1, then mostly Turner, then MJD...those two sometimes switched. I had MJD last year, was awful till the last of the year as far as points. The two years I've had him he comes on at the end of the year, I'm wondering why ranked so high this year....memories of the last of the year?

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Personally, I am hoping to have pick #10 or so. I'll grab a guy like Brandon Jacobs and then Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald on the flip side and laugh my way to a Eddie Royal in the 3rd round and then a few picks later I'll find that RB that has slipped. Westbrook, Portis, Moreno, Wells, Addai, McFadden, Grant, Bush, Barber... on of those guys will slide. Guys like Peterson, MJD, DeAngelo Williams, Slaton, Jacobs, Turner, Smith, Forte, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Gore, and even Ladainian Tomlinson will get drafted in the first couple rounds. I'll have a shot at a nice RB in round 3 or 4. My hope is that somebody looks over a guy like Jackson, Slaton, or Williams and I can grab him late in the first round. I would even consider drafting three WR's in the first 4 rounds this year (my main league is heavy on WR scoring) if I could come away with a haul of Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, and Eddie Royal. Add in a RB like Jacobs/Jackson/Slaton in the first and then hope for someone like Pierre Thomas, Derrick Ward, or Joseph Addai to fall in the 5th.

Anyhow for the who to draft at the top question... Michael Turner. Peterson will lose touches this year to both Taylor and Harvin. Michael Turner will continue to be the focal point of that offense in Atlanta and he is more likely to remain healthy the entire year. I project him at 300 carries for 1400 yards and 15 TDs. He won't give you much in the receiving department so if your league values RB receptions then you should probably consider someone else (MJD). Also, if you have a middle of the pack pick, think strongly about drafting a WR first. Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Randy Moss are all capable of putting up 1500 yards and 12+ TDs. And, if Andre Johnson could stay healthy for a season, he would challenge for 1800 yards and 15 TDs. Health is his only obstacle.

Tombstone RJ
08-01-2009, 01:10 PM
AP might have a tough year simply because opposing defenses will be keying on him. If T. Jackson can elevate his game a little more, than AP will be ok. Had Favre gone to the Vikes, AP would be the obvious #1 RB.

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 01:30 PM
MOJO IS SO ****ING OVERRATED. He is a bitch, seriously, he will have a big (mediocre big game) but he will **** you a lot of the time too

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Anyony who bypasses AP is a freaking idiot!

MJD is good but #1 no way in hell, plus i have a sneaky suspicion that he will either A) get hurt, or B) lose TD carries to Rashad Jennings.

Rashad Jennings is a stud, his problem is he lacks top end speed. but he has strength, power, some decent moves and he can also catch somewhat well. Book it that he will chew into MJD carries a lot this year.

LOL...

i'm not sure you're that experienced in FF if those are your thoughts...

AP scored 10tds last season...thats not exactly top overall FF material...true he had over 1800 combined yds...but you MUST take scoring rules into account when ranking FF players, and it appears you don't understand that...

AP is not the top pick under all scoring formats...and it's arguable if he is under any outside of yardage only leagues...

BroncoMan4ever
08-01-2009, 01:37 PM
If TDs are worth 6, i say abso-f'ing-lutley, at the end of the first, maybe early second. IMO.

no way is Brady worth a 1st. coming off of injury he may end up taking as much as half the season to get back to form. he will put up decent numbers but he isn't the number 1 fantasy QB going into this season. Right now i would put him behind Brees, Rivers, Warner, Romo and Manning in terms of fantasy value. this isn't the 2007 Brady anymore, so i would stay away from Brady and Moss in the 1st few rounds. Welker is still a good bet if you are in a league that scores for receptions.

Los Broncos
08-01-2009, 01:38 PM
MJD is a good choice since Taylor is gone from the JAGS, will more carries.

I might go with Turner or Peterson.

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
LT is going way low btw

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 01:40 PM

This is my personal certified: MOJO -WILL- BITCH OUT THIS SEASON

post.

BroncoMan4ever
08-01-2009, 01:43 PM

the Jags got a guy by the name of Rashard Jennings to take over Taylor's role. Jennings easily could have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He is bigger and stronger than Drew and is going to steal a lot of carries in the red zone and goal line from Drew, plus by mid season he is going to be getting more and more carries which will come from Drew.

MJD is not the top RB available.

Los Broncos
08-01-2009, 01:45 PM
the Jags got a guy by the name of Rashard Jennings to take over Taylor's role. Jennings easily could have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He is bigger and stronger than Drew and is going to steal a lot of carries in the red zone and goal line from Drew, plus by mid season he is going to be getting more and more carries which will come from Drew.

Yeah that makes sense, do you like Peterson as a #1?

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 01:48 PM

i disagree...

Jennings will get carries but not at the goal line...

Fred Taylor is a bigger back and MJD still was their goal line back last season...

MJD is very effective at the goal line...a rookie isn't going to take that role from him...

snowspot66
08-01-2009, 01:57 PM
MJD is also one of the few true receiving threats at RB. Whenever I've had him and he faces a tough run D he still scores decent on receiving alone.

It's a tough choice this year though.

BroncoMan4ever
08-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah that makes sense, do you like Peterson as a #1?

yes, and only because i think he is the best available option. Turner isn't going to duplicate last season with defenses now keying on him and a harder schedule, Drew is going to end up losing carries to Jennings. LT is washed up and will lose carries to Sproles, Portis is going to split carries.

there isn't a true undisputed top RB right now for fantasy football, and because of that, Peterson is the best bet. he showed he was capable of getting the job done with mediocre talent at the QB position so that is still a non-factor for this season since Favre is not coming back.

there isn't a RB coming off a season like LT had a few seasons ago, or like LJ a few years ago. it is a toss-up

BroncoMan4ever
08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
i disagree...

Jennings will get carries but not at the goal line...

Fred Taylor is a bigger back and MJD still was their goal line back last season...

MJD is very effective at the goal line...a rookie isn't going to take that role from him...

Fred Taylor was basically a shell of his former self the last few seasons.

Jennings is faster, stronger, and has better hands than Taylor did. also, with the contract MJD recently signed it is very likely that the team will think about limiting his carries in tough yardage situations to avoid possible injury.

just because Taylor couldn't take carries from MJD means nothing for this season. Jennings is better than Taylor and he is going to make it hard for the team not to put him on the field in red zone situations and eventually, probably by midseason he will be splitting carries with Drew.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Fred Taylor was basically a shell of his former self the last few seasons.

Jennings is faster, stronger, and has better hands than Taylor did. also, with the contract MJD recently signed it is very likely that the team will think about limiting his carries in tough yardage situations to avoid possible injury.

just because Taylor couldn't take carries from MJD means nothing for this season. Jennings is better than Taylor and he is going to make it hard for the team not to put him on the field in red zone situations and eventually, probably by midseason he will be splitting carries with Drew.

i don't doubt that Jennings will get carries but he's not going to take goal line carry duties away from MJD...size and strength alone don't dictate who the best goal line back is...

and Taylor did take carries from MJD...just not the goal line ones...

Jennings is a solid prospect but MJD is the heart and soul of that offense...i think you're underestimating how strong and explosive that lil dude is...

MJD is no question a top end fantasy back...

anyone wanting to take him 1st overall won't be disappointed...

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 03:15 PM
i don't doubt that Jennings will get carries but he's not going to take goal line carry duties away from MJD...size and strength alone don't dictate who the best goal line back is...

and Taylor did take carries from MJD...just not the goal line ones...

Jennings is a solid prospect but MJD is the heart and soul of that offense...i think you're underestimating how strong and explosive that lil dude is...

MJD is no question a top end fantasy back...

anyone wanting to take him 1st overall won't be disappointed...

YES THEY WILL. Wow people. Seriously look at his stats from last season. He has a ridiculously amazing ability to disappear from games. Without Taylor he will likely be worse.

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 03:16 PM
DeAngelo Williams is also overrated. I ROAD THIS CAT LAST SEASON. I am not afraid to say it. It is very rare that a back has two 20 TD seasons in a row.

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Draft goes like this:

1A: AP
1B: FORTE
2: Turner

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 03:25 PM
YES THEY WILL. Wow people. Seriously look at his stats from last season. He has a ridiculously amazing ability to disappear from games. Without Taylor he will likely be worse.

disappear from games?...

i'm simply talking about his fantasy end result production...

i don't care if he doesn't come up big when the Jags need him, i just care about his fantasy production...

and in terms of fantasy...his production is very good and doesn't look to go down anytime soon...

NYBronc
08-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Speaking of FF

<A HREF="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pick-your-poison-Cutler-vs-Orton.html">Pick your poison.</A>

In the National Football Post’s third installment of our “Pick your Poison” series, we take a look at one of the most talked-about trades of the 2009 offseason.

On April 2, the Chicago Bears traded quarterback Kyle Orton and three draft picks to the Denver Broncos for Pro Bowler Jay Cutler and a fifth-round pick. The move sent shock waves through the NFL, as well as the fantasy world.

With both quarterbacks set to open the 2009 season with new teams and new offenses, let’s look at which signal-caller is likely to produce a better fantasy year.

<B>The case for Cutler</B>

Cutler comes to Chicago with the Windy City’s (as well as Bowen’s and the Puma’s) playoff expectations riding on his shoulders. The cannon he possesses in lieu of a right arm will be a major benefit to the Bears’ offense late in the season when the vicious winds off Lake Michigan start cutting down the passes of weaker-armed QBs.

His transition into Chicago’s offensive scheme will be helped along by dual-threat running back Matt Forte and pass-catching tight end Greg Olsen. If the Bears’ receivers struggle to create separation and get open down the field, Cutler will have two very capable check-down options to target.

Speaking of the Chicago receivers, they may be a downgrade from what Cutler was used to in Denver, but consider these numbers: Former Bears quarterback Kyle Orton was one of the top fantasy QBs during a five-week stretch last season (weeks 3-7)when he threw for 1,370 yards and racked up 10 touchdowns to just two interceptions. And he did it with the SAME receiving unit. If Orton could find some success, expect a Pro Bowler like Cutler to find some as well.

<B>The case against Cutler</B>

The aforementioned receiving unit will be the key as to whether Cutler heads back to the Pro Bowl in 2010. We’re going to find out very quickly whether the receivers in Denver made Cutler look good, or the other way around.

One of the important questions heading into 2009 is, how often will the Bears throw this season? Cutler attempted 616 passes last year in Denver (second in the NFL), which was a big reason for his fantasy success. On the flip side, Orton and the rest of the Chicago quarterbacks combined for 528 attempts, 88 fewer than Cutler. Can you blame them? With a running back like Matt Forte in your backfield, you shouldn’t need to throw the ball over 600 times.

<B>The case for Orton</B>

Orton made the NFP’s 2009 sleeper list for several reasons. He begins life in Denver with one of the more impressive receiving tandems in the NFL -- Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal -- who combined for 195 receptions last season, ranking first among 1-2 punches in the league.

In addition, he will be running a new Denver offense installed by rookie head coach and former Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. McDaniels may have gotten off to a rough start in Colorado, but remember, this is the guy who turned Matt Cassel into a fantasy sensation in New England last season. Orton has some good experience and knows how to make plays with an average receiving unit. Keep in mind, there’s a reason McDaniels wanted Orton included in the trade for Cutler. He sees potential.

Also, look for the Broncos to keep their foot on the gas for four quarters. The Denver defense went through several personnel changes this offseason, but it’s going to take some time to turn around a unit that gave up 374.6 yards (29th) and 28 points (30th) per game in 2008. A defense that gives up a lot of points may not be good for wins in the NFL, but it’s a big plus for fantasy quarterbacks.

<B>The case against Orton</B>

He’s got a 55.3-percent career completion percentage, has been sacked 59 times in 33 games, has never posted a passer rating higher than 79.6 in a single season and has thrown almost as many interceptions (27) in his career as touchdowns (30). Not the most promising of statistics for a fantasy quarterback, are they?

Another factor to keep in mind is backup quarterback Chris Simms. McDaniels made the call earlier this offseason that Orton would be the starting quarterback entering 2009, but what if he stumbles coming out of the blocks and can’t get the job done during the first month of the season? The possibility (although small) exists that Orton could be replaced if he proves to be ineffective.

Finally, will Brandon Marshall be a Denver Bronco when Week 1 kicks off? Trade talks with the Ravens have started to heat up again, and Marshall has made it no secret that he’s unhappy and looking for a new contract. This is one of the main reasons why holding your fantasy draft as close to the start of the season as possible is a good idea.

<B>Pay attention to the schedule</B>

The Broncos play nine games this season against defenses that finished in the top 10 against the pass in 2008. Meanwhile, the Bears only play eight games against defenses that finished in the top 17.

<B>Fantasy playoff schedule</B>

Cutler’s final four games: Green Bay (home), Baltimore (road), Minnesota (home), Detroit (road)

Orton’s final four games: Indianapolis (road), Oakland (home), Philadelphia (road), Kansas City (home)

<B>Edge: </B>Orton, but not by as much as you’d think. Three of Denver’s final four games are against defenses that finished in the top 10 against the pass in 2008. While that’s a telling statistic, we still feel that getting Baltimore and Minnesota down the stretch is a tougher challenge.

<B>The verdict</B>

We consider this competition a lot closer than most people might because we believe Orton is going to find success in McDaniels’ offensive system. However, it all boils down to consistency and reliability, and that’s why Cutler is our choice heading into 2009. The job is 100 percent his, and he’s taken steps forward in each of his three NFL seasons. Don’t sleep on Orton, though.

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
disappear from games?...

i'm simply talking about his fantasy end result production...

i don't care if he doesn't come up big when the Jags need him, i just care about his fantasy production...

and in terms of fantasy...his production is very good and doesn't look to go down anytime soon...

Ok, right, cuz fantasy doesn't matter if you drop one of these:

50 total yards 4 catches 0 TDs week 1 vs Ten
42 total yards 3 catches 1 TD week 2 vs Buff
30 total yards 6 receptions 1 TD week 5 vs Pitt
48 total yards 3 catches 0 TD week 8 vs CLEVELAND?!?!
WEEK 12, 13, 14 HAD ONLY 1 TD FOR HIS TWO FUMBLES

oh btw week 16 and 17, you know, championships, 0 TDs

But other than those NINE games he's mediocre! WOO, seriously, people need to get off his jock.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Ok, right, cuz fantasy doesn't matter if you drop one of these:

50 total yards 4 catches 0 TDs week 1 vs Ten
42 total yards 3 catches 1 TD week 2 vs Buff
30 total yards 6 receptions 1 TD week 5 vs Pitt
48 total yards 3 catches 0 TD week 8 vs CLEVELAND?!?!
WEEK 12, 13, 14 HAD ONLY 1 TD FOR HIS TWO FUMBLES

oh btw week 16 and 17, you know, championships, 0 TDs

But other than those NINE games he's mediocre! WOO, seriously, people need to get off his jock.

you make a poor argument...not sure what you have against MJD but let me help you out a little...

1st off...anyone can point out a handful of games where a fantasy player doesn't score a lot...no player last year was huge every game, c'mon now...

2ndly...i'm not sure i would characterize someone as having a bad fantasy start if they scored a TD in the game...esp if the scoring rules are TD based...

3rd...i don't know what league(s) you play in, but if you play in any leagues that play their championship game in week 17 you need to get out of that league...i'm in 7 leagues and none of them do and thats because it's silly to do so...

so looking at week's 15 & 16 MJD scored 2 TDs in week 15 and had over 160 yds of offense in week 16...that would be his true production in the playoffs and it looks like he did pretty well to...so you may wanna give the guy a little credit...

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 04:48 PM
you make a poor argument...not sure what you have against MJD but let me help you out a little...

1st off...anyone can point out a handful of games where a fantasy player doesn't score a lot...no player last year was huge every game, c'mon now...

2ndly...i'm not sure i would characterize someone as having a bad fantasy start if they scored a TD in the game...esp if the scoring rules are TD based...

3rd...i don't know what league(s) you play in, but if you play in any leagues that play their championship game in week 17 you need to get out of that league...i'm in 7 leagues and none of them do and thats because it's silly to do so...

so looking at week's 15 & 16 MJD scored 2 TDs in week 15 and had over 160 yds of offense in week 16...that would be his true production in the playoffs and it looks like he did pretty well to...so you may wanna give the guy a little credit...

1st: LT, Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Adrian Peterson, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees Larry Johnson, Calvin Johnson and many more all Disagree with you.

Side note: Not HUGE every game is a big deal, a lot of these guys do own every game, OR AT LEAST DONT **** YOU IN THE ASS WITH A 30 YARD WEEK FROM A #1 PICK and score a lot every game and have TWO OR THREE bad games, BUT NOT NINE

2nd: ONE TD and garbage yards IS NOT FANTASY PRODUCTION, unless you play in some garbage scoring league.

3rd: Mojo was what, the 4th or 5th highest scoring back in 15, week 16 just shows your own inconsistencies (you claimed a TD was a big deal even if yards we garbage in "2nd" but now yards are a big deal? Ok bub)

Im in 4 leagues with over $500 (we're not scrubs) in buy in's and NOT ONE TEAM WITH MJD LAST YEAR MADE THE PLAYOFFS. If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.

Doggcow
08-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Btw, because I know you'll try to make a point of it, LT and Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander's superb 2 seasons arnt reflected as they got older, but definitely warrented their #1-#3's during their heydays.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 05:06 PM
1st: LT, Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Adrian Peterson, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees Larry Johnson, Calvin Johnson and many more all Disagree with you.

none of those guys were great last year every game...this reply doesn't even apply to my comment???

Side note: Not HUGE every game is a big deal, a lot of these guys do own every game, OR AT LEAST DONT **** YOU IN THE ASS WITH A 30 YARD WEEK FROM A #1 PICK and score a lot every game and have TWO OR THREE bad games, BUT NOT NINE

if you really think MJD had nine bad fantsasy games then you know too little to even coninue this with...he had 14 TDs and 1400yds offense but he was lousy for nine games?...

2nd: ONE TD and garbage yards IS NOT FANTASY PRODUCTION, unless you play in some garbage scoring league.

what the heck is "garbage yds"?...this is fantasy football...there are no garbage yds, every yard counts...50-60yds and a TD is not a poor outing for a fantasy player...you sound extremely uninformed...

3rd: Mojo was what, the 4th or 5th highest scoring back in 15, week 16 just shows your own inconsistencies (you claimed a TD was a big deal even if yards we garbage in "2nd" but now yards are a big deal? Ok bub)

huh?....i never said any of that is a big deal...i said that the games you claimed he was bad in, he wasn't really all that bad at all...how does that translate into "big deal"?...and since when is being the 4th best back out of 32 not good?...

Im in 4 leagues with over $500 (we're not scrubs) in buy in's and NOT ONE TEAM WITH MJD LAST YEAR MADE THE PLAYOFFS. If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.

another uninformed type comment...since when does one player make a fantasy team?...MJD had 14 TDs and 1400 yds of offense...so if the team with MJD on it didn't make the playoffs, it certainly wasn't MJD's fault...i mean, seriously...

and just because you claim to be in leagues with big $$ doesn't mean you know what you're talking about...it just means you may be in leagues that include big $$...

i expect MJD to have a bigger year this year which is why it's fair to pick him #1 overall...he's worthy of that whether you like the guy or not...

gyldenlove
08-01-2009, 05:57 PM
These are the guys you should consider in order of how I would draft them right now:

1. AP
2. Michael Turner
3. Steve Slaton
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Deangelo Williams
6. Tom Brady

Pontius Pirate
08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
These are the guys you should consider in order of how I would draft them right now:

1. AP
2. Michael Turner
3. Steve Slaton
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Deangelo Williams
6. Tom Brady

I agree Slaton should be high. Not sure about Ronnie Brown though. I'd probably put Forte in his place.

underrated29
08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
LOL...

i'm not sure you're that experienced in FF if those are your thoughts...

AP scored 10tds last season...thats not exactly top overall FF material...true he had over 1800 combined yds...but you MUST take scoring rules into account when ranking FF players, and it appears you don't understand that...

AP is not the top pick under all scoring formats...and it's arguable if he is under any outside of yardage only leagues...

Well considering i have won 3/4 super bowls and only played for 4 years in a competative league. Yes one that has $150 buy in. Id say i do have a pretty good grasp at how FF works. PS- My league is a TD heavy league- 1pt 25 yards. 6 pt tds. Id still take AP over turner or anyone else.

I can gurantee right now that assuming both stay healthy this year, with a healthy Oline- that AP will blow turner out.

Dogcow- If it was you that posted

AP
Forte
Turner

I would completely agree with that right now. My super sleeper i would probably take before turner, but thats what super sleepers are. Big time Boom or Big time Bust. For now bust favors the outlook, but i think the stars align this year.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Well considering i have won 3/4 super bowls and only played for 4 years in a competative league. Yes one that has $150 buy in. Id say i do have a pretty good grasp at how FF works. PS- My league is a TD heavy league- 1pt 25 yards. 6 pt tds. Id still take AP over turner or anyone else.
I can gurantee right now that assuming both stay healthy this year, with a healthy Oline- that AP will blow turner out.

if your league really scores that way then your ranking makes no sense...MJD will have outscored AP even last year...

i've been playin the FF game for close to 20 yrs now...and i just tend to break it down more than most...

you said someone would be an idiot to pass up AP...i took issue with that staement...as i stated earlier, the scoring rules ALWAYS matter 1st...but either way, there is no stand alone concensus #1 fantasy player this year...AP is an exciting player to watch, but excitement doesn't count extra in the box score...

epicSocialism4tw
08-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Thoughts?

Its "AD" as in All Day.

gunns
08-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Personally, I am hoping to have pick #10 or so. I'll grab a guy like Brandon Jacobs and then Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald on the flip side and laugh my way to a Eddie Royal in the 3rd round and then a few picks later I'll find that RB that has slipped. Westbrook, Portis, Moreno, Wells, Addai, McFadden, Grant, Bush, Barber... on of those guys will slide. Guys like Peterson, MJD, DeAngelo Williams, Slaton, Jacobs, Turner, Smith, Forte, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Gore, and even Ladainian Tomlinson will get drafted in the first couple rounds. I'll have a shot at a nice RB in round 3 or 4. My hope is that somebody looks over a guy like Jackson, Slaton, or Williams and I can grab him late in the first round. I would even consider drafting three WR's in the first 4 rounds this year (my main league is heavy on WR scoring) if I could come away with a haul of Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, and Eddie Royal. Add in a RB like Jacobs/Jackson/Slaton in the first and then hope for someone like Pierre Thomas, Derrick Ward, or Joseph Addai to fall in the 5th.

Anyhow for the who to draft at the top question... Michael Turner. Peterson will lose touches this year to both Taylor and Harvin. Michael Turner will continue to be the focal point of that offense in Atlanta and he is more likely to remain healthy the entire year. I project him at 300 carries for 1400 yards and 15 TDs. He won't give you much in the receiving department so if your league values RB receptions then you should probably consider someone else (MJD). Also, if you have a middle of the pack pick, think strongly about drafting a WR first. Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Randy Moss are all capable of putting up 1500 yards and 12+ TDs. And, if Andre Johnson could stay healthy for a season, he would challenge for 1800 yards and 15 TDs. Health is his only obstacle.

Yep you won't get Fitzgerald with the 10th. In most drafts he's going before that. One that is surprisingly high is Westbrook. The guy is always injured. I won't touch MJD or Williams. Had both the last two years and neither does anything the first half and they still have games where they just disappear. I also probably won't touch LT. I think he's seen his best days and they'll end up relying on Sproules. I think the Texans will show improvement this year and Slaton will be a big reason along with Johnson There seems to be more talent this year to cover even your bench unless you get into a 12 to 14 team league.

One QB I'm looking at for the 6th round is Edwards. He has Evans and Owens and could have a much better year.

extralife
08-02-2009, 05:15 AM
You have to take AP first. I had the first pick in my draft (we had to draft early) and it was a no brainer. Now, I don't particularly like him as the top pick, because he doesn't catch the ball, hasn't proven himself to be a great goal line back, he's streaky as hell and I'm not convinced he's durable at all - but the pick itself is a no brainer.

People spend way too much time fixating on the early picks. Those picks make themselves. You win leagues in the later rounds.

TheChamp24
08-02-2009, 05:59 AM
I have to admit, the top RB's now are getting more and more even and it is hard to really pick a guy in the top 5.
AD is a great back, but the Vikings will probably give more carries to Taylor this upcoming year to keep AD fresh.
I hear tons of talk about Maurice Jones-Drew, but it is hard for me to take a back like MJD who hasn't had a full season as a starting RB with a top 2 pick.
Matt Forte gets talked up a storm too, but I don't see him blowing up like what I've heard. A top 2 pick? I don't know about that. His receptions will be cut down, as we all know Cutler doesn't look to dump offs. He'll be a solid back, but I'm hearing some people consider him at the #2 pick.
Michael Turner I'm skeptical about because of his workload last year, he isn't going to repeat that success.
Deangelo Williams will have a decent year, but not as great as last year.
Portis is getting older, health questions raise up.
Slaton I put in the sophmore slump category.

I don't think there is that much disparity in leagues now in RB's, you can easily find 20 capable starting RB's now, probably more.

And the comment about winning in later rounds, well really, it is all luck. Did you get lucky and pick Forte late? Did you get lucky with Matt Cassell's waiver pick up?

underrated29
08-02-2009, 11:10 AM
if your league really scores that way then your ranking makes no sense...MJD will have outscored AP even last year...

i've been playin the FF game for close to 20 yrs now...and i just tend to break it down more than most...

you said someone would be an idiot to pass up AP...i took issue with that staement...as i stated earlier, the scoring rules ALWAYS matter 1st...but either way, there is no stand alone concensus #1 fantasy player this year...AP is an exciting player to watch, but excitement doesn't count extra in the box score...

I aswell. I break things down big time.

My reasons for AD

easy schedule
if gets qb play could be a contender for 2k
has proven the last 3 years no fluke
vikes look to increase his catches
Shows up against good defenses.

My reasons for no turner (at #1 this is)

tough schedule
took 370+ carries last year
matt ryan imo is overrated and will not have the same success this year. Still successful and still a good QB, but not what the hype gives him
jerious noorwood they want to get more reps too

My reasons for MJD not to be #1

I dont think he will withstand the full season, he has never been a feature back
Rashad Jennings imo is pretty legit, and once the jags see this they will get him more and more carries. I think at the goaline he will see lots of reps too.
I dont remember the jags schedule, but i remember it wasnt cake
The OL was hurt last year, chances of it again- doubtful, but teams will stack the box because gerrard and the WR dont scare anyone.

Doggcow
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
We should do an Omane fantasy league with Gcver taking MJD first and see how it turns out :)

Beantown Bronco
08-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Personally, I am hoping to have pick #10 or so. I'll grab a guy like Brandon Jacobs and then Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald on the flip side and laugh my way to a Eddie Royal in the 3rd round and then a few picks later I'll find that RB that has slipped. Westbrook, Portis, Moreno, Wells, Addai, McFadden, Grant, Bush, Barber... on of those guys will slide.

You must be drafting with the biggest bunch of retards on the planet, playing in a 4 or 6 team league, or have some wacky scoring system if you think somehow Westbrook, Portis, or Addai are lasting to the 4th round.

Doggcow
08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
You must be drafting with the biggest bunch of retards on the planet, playing in a 4 or 6 team league, or have some wacky scoring system if you think somehow Westbrook, Portis, or Addai are lasting to the 4th round.

Or that you would draft Eddie Royal over any of those RB's lol.

BroncoMan4ever
08-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Or that you would draft Eddie Royal over any of those RB's lol.

i agree. Royal is a receiver that will be available as late as the 6th round in a lot of leagues. for people who don't follow the Broncos he will be able to be had late.

Gcver2ver3
08-02-2009, 04:17 PM
We should do an Omane fantasy league with Gcver taking MJD first and see how it turns out :)

you don't want to do that...

i'd run away with that league...you don't win leagues with one player...

besides, you act like every other fantasy expert (yes i'm including myself:)) doesn't rate MJD high...he's projected to have a good year for a reason...

no biggie...drafting that high in the draft you really can't go wrong with who you pick, so long as it's within reason (MJD, AP, Turner, Forte, Westbrook, etc)...

i'm not telling you you're "wrong" for going AP with the 1st pick, AP is a great back...but you're making the mistake of telling me i'm wrong for taking MJD...which of course i wouldn't be...you have to keep an open mind in fantasy and not get emotionally riled up to disliking or liking certain players...either one of those guys will be fine as the top pick...

if you're as good at FF as you claim to be then you won't disagree when i say a draft doesn't really start until you get into the later rounds...thats where championships are won and lost...

Doggcow
08-02-2009, 04:28 PM
you don't want to do that...

i'd run away with that league...you don't win leagues with one player...

besides, you act like every other fantasy expert (yes i'm including myself:)) doesn't rate MJD high...he's projected to have a good year for a reason...

no biggie...drafting that high in the draft you really can't go wrong with who you pick, so long as it's within reason (MJD, AP, Turner, Forte, Westbrook, etc)...

i'm not telling you you're "wrong" for going AP with the 1st pick, AP is a great back...but you're making the mistake of telling me i'm wrong for taking MJD...which of course i wouldn't be...you have to keep an open mind in fantasy and not get emotionally riled up to disliking or liking certain players...either one of those guys will be fine as the top pick...

if you're as good at FF as you claim to be then you won't disagree when i say a draft doesn't really start until you get into the later rounds...thats where championships are won and lost...

I'd actually argue that they're won on the waivers. My bro won last year with a clean snag of Slaton, I snagged DeAngelo WIlliams and he carried me.

Honestly I think it might be better to lose weeks 1/2 to get those PRIME waiver guys (Since you're higher on waivers), the break out guys every year are REALLY helpful to those teams that are down at the beginning until their guys come around.

Gcver2ver3
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd actually argue that they're won on the waivers. My bro won last year with a clean snag of Slaton, I snagged DeAngelo WIlliams and he carried me.

Honestly I think it might be better to lose weeks 1/2 to get those PRIME waiver guys (Since you're higher on waivers), the break out guys every year are REALLY helpful to those teams that are down at the beginning until their guys come around.

eh...again that depends on the rules of your league...many leagues don't allow for constant pick-ups from waiver wire (at least not w/o a steep price/penalty)...

none of the leagues i was in last year saw Deangelo or Slaton go undrafted...were you in an 6 team league or something?...

the leagues i'm in are 12 team leagues mostly with a couple 10 team leagues scattered in...the people i play against scout too deeply to let a Slaton or Deangelo go undrafted...

waiver wire helps but strong drafting (and trading) wins leagues for us...not waiver wire...

waiver wire pickups would never win a league i play in...

drafting is key...surprised you don't agree, but to each his own...

have at it killer...

Doggcow
08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
DeAngelo and Slaton didn't go undrafted but we have small benches, Every waver wire move costs $, and the guy with DeAngelo cut him for Sproles when he had Reggie Bush and Clinton Portis.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 06:27 PM
eh...again that depends on the rules of your league...many leagues don't allow for constant pick-ups from waiver wire (at least not w/o a steep price/penalty)...

none of the leagues i was in last year saw Deangelo or Slaton go undrafted...were you in an 6 team league or something?...

the leagues i'm in are 12 team leagues mostly with a couple 10 team leagues scattered in...the people i play against scout too deeply to let a Slaton or Deangelo go undrafted...

waiver wire helps but strong drafting (and trading) wins leagues for us...not waiver wire...

waiver wire pickups would never win a league i play in...

drafting is key...surprised you don't agree, but to each his own...

have at it killer...

With you here. FA helps but all my leagues have a $5 fee for a add/drop. From my experience (assuming healthy) you can win your league with your first 5 picks.

If you can take the right palyers with those first 5. Then fill in starters and depth soundly after that.....So far i havent lost.

But then again that also comes to draft strategy and who and what you take with your top 3. I normally have a system that i do not deviate from unless someone fell who shouldnt have. But so far in my leagues there are only 3 other people out of 24 that have a simliar strategy.

Gcver2ver3
08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
With you here. FA helps but all my leagues have a $5 fee for a add/drop. From my experience (assuming healthy) you can win your league with your first 5 picks.

If you can take the right palyers with those first 5. Then fill in starters and depth soundly after that.....So far i havent lost.

But then again that also comes to draft strategy and who and what you take with your top 3. I normally have a system that i do not deviate from unless someone fell who shouldnt have. But so far in my leagues there are only 3 other people out of 24 that have a simliar strategy.

yea by 5 deep you should have an identity developing for your team...

RB strong, youth heavy, handcuff needy, etc...

so outta curiosity, what is your draft strategy?...i go BPA pretty much from start to finish...i'd understand if you didn't want to share, but its not like we're in any leagues together anyway...

Gcver2ver3
08-02-2009, 07:08 PM
DeAngelo and Slaton didn't go undrafted but we have small benches, Every waver wire move costs $, and the guy with DeAngelo cut him for Sproles when he had Reggie Bush and Clinton Portis.

oh i see...

that makes sense...

Drunk Monkey
08-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I am in a pseudo keeper league where we can carry over up to 4 players from our last years team. My studs from last year are

Tom Brady
Arron Rodgers
Deangelo Williams
LT
B Marsh

We get 6 pts per TD and 1 pt for 25yds. Who would you keep? If I keep all 4 then I don't draft until the 4th round

TheChamp24
08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I am in a pseudo keeper league where we can carry over up to 4 players from our last years team. My studs from last year are

Tom Brady
Arron Rodgers
Deangelo Williams
LT
B Marsh

We get 6 pts per TD and 1 pt for 25yds. Who would you keep? If I keep all 4 then I don't draft until the 4th round

How many do people keep usually?
I would say Brady for sure, the others no idea, depends who others keep.

underrated29
08-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Tom Brady
Arron Rodgers
Deangelo Williams
LT
B Marsh

Do you lose the round you draft them in? or just lose a round for a keeper?

I would say brady and Lt are keepers, even if that means you wont draft until rd 3. IMO thats great value for both players. Yes they have some risks, but to me sproles sucks as a back other than 5-10 looks and is the most overrated player in the NFL. And brady should bounce back- he has a nice schedule to work with too.

If its by round then you should post that.

Brady for sure
Lt-i would
Dwil2-stud but wont repeat as stewie gets looks-prob not
marshall-???? i dont know what to think of him this year
rodgers- you got brady, and he is excellent ins for tom, but i wouldnt keep both.

Doggcow
08-03-2009, 01:15 AM

Tom Brady
Arron Rodgers
Deangelo Williams
LT
B Marsh

I'd keep em all except maybe marshall. I'd be stoked with Brady, Rodgers, Williams, LT in first 4 rounds.

Oh, Can you start 2 QB's?

Drunk Monkey
08-03-2009, 09:15 AM
We start 1 QB, 2 rb/te, 3 wr/te, 1 k, 1 DEF, 2 bench spots. I took up one of my 2 bench spots with Brady all last year which sucked. Each carry over person counts as a draft pick. If you keep all 4 then that is your first 4 picks. Keep in mind that all the best players will not be there due to someone else carrying them over. Last year only 2 people didn't keep all 4. We have to decide who we are keeping before we know what everyone else is doing so you can't react to the other people.

After last year I am going to have a hard time not carrying over Deangelo. He at least made me respectable. B Marsh is the big question mark. I hate to do it but he may not make the cut. Rodgers is probably gone but he does have trade value. I also rode LT to the championship in 06 so there is some sentimental ties there. For FFL I hope he can bounce back. Thanks for the feedback.

Drunk Monkey
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
We start 1 QB, 2 rb/te, 3 wr/te, 1 k, 1 DEF, 2 bench spots. I took up one of my 2 bench spots with Brady all last year which sucked. Each carry over person counts as a draft pick. If you keep all 4 then that is your first 4 picks. Keep in mind that all the best players will not be there due to someone else carrying them over. Last year only 2 people didn't keep all 4. We have to decide who we are keeping before we know what everyone else is doing so you can't react to the other people.

After last year I am going to have a hard time not carrying over Deangelo. He at least made me respectable. B Marsh is the big question mark. I hate to do it but he may not make the cut. Rodgers is probably gone but he does have trade value. I also rode LT to the championship in 06 so there is some sentimental ties there. For FFL I hope he can bounce back. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh, it is a 12 Person league so quality players are a little scarce

underrated29
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Unbelievable!

Life has such an irony....So i just landed the #1 overall pick in my draft. Can you guys believe it?

I do not want it though. I hate having to wait until pick 24 before i pick again. Besides Steven Jackson is my super sleeper this year and there is no way he makes it that far let alone out of the first round.

Problem is i dont see anyone putting up numbers that much bigger than SJ, yet with SJ i can get him mid to late 1st and then have an early 2nd too. So i get a player that is almost equal to top pick but dont have to wait until the end of 2 to go again.

This sucks.

So- who should i take at #1- 6pt tds, 1 pt 25 rush, 1 pt 25 wr- Rush/Rec are not combinable. I think AD is my guy.

Aftermath
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
my team last year in a 12 team 2starting QB league was:
QB J.CUTLER
QB B.FAVRE
BACKUP J.FLACCO
WR C.JOHNSON
WR B.MARSHALL
WR T.OWENS
BACKUP E.ROYAL
BACKUP T.GINN JR
RB S.SLATON
RB MJD
BACKUP MARSHAWN LYNCH
BACKUP M.MOORE
TE C.COOLEY

what you think about that team? and who i should keep

Killericon
08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
MJD is my #1 pick.

Doggcow
08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
MJD is my #1 pick.

Lol.

Seriously, the Jags offense isn't even good... a foundation for Fantasy points...

Noone is listening. Oh well, makes life better for the rest of us :)

Doggcow
08-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Unbelievable!

Life has such an irony....So i just landed the #1 overall pick in my draft. Can you guys believe it?

I do not want it though. I hate having to wait until pick 24 before i pick again. Besides Steven Jackson is my super sleeper this year and there is no way he makes it that far let alone out of the first round.

Problem is i dont see anyone putting up numbers that much bigger than SJ, yet with SJ i can get him mid to late 1st and then have an early 2nd too. So i get a player that is almost equal to top pick but dont have to wait until the end of 2 to go again.

This sucks.

So- who should i take at #1- 6pt tds, 1 pt 25 rush, 1 pt 25 wr- Rush/Rec are not combinable. I think AD is my guy.

Steven Jackson isn't a sleeper.

Gcver2ver3
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Lol.

Seriously, the Jags offense isn't even good... a foundation for Fantasy points...

Noone is listening. Oh well, makes life better for the rest of us :)

people are listening, you're just wrong on this one...

if you don't like the guy thats fine but he has the resume for being the top pick as much as anyone else you want to argue for...every player has a con to their pro...you're simply pointing out MJD's...

but even your argument for him being in a poor offense isn't a good one...the Jags were 20th in offense and the Vikes were 17th and you have AP as your top guy...not a big diff at all...

the Jags aren't an offensive juggernaut but when they do score it's a good bet it's MJD...the Saints for example, will score a bunch but the points will be divied up between Bush, Thomas, Colston, Moore, Shockey, etc...

i'll take a player that scores all the points in a poor offense vs a player in a top offense that only score 10% of their TDs...

SoDak Bronco
08-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I am picking #8 of 12 in my league. Here is our scoring setup-

For passing- TDs- 5 pts, 25 yds - 1 pt, Int- -2

For Rushing/Receiving- TD's- 6 pts. 10 yds - 1 pt

Who should I target? Slaton? SJ, Brees, L Fitz?

Gcver2ver3
08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
I am picking #8 of 12 in my league. Here is our scoring setup-

For passing- TDs- 5 pts, 25 yds - 1 pt, Int- -2

For Rushing/Receiving- TD's- 6 pts. 10 yds - 1 pt

Who should I target? Slaton? SJ, Brees, L Fitz?

if your league doesn't count ppr then i would rule out Slaton that early...

you may be able to get him with the 5th pick in rd 2 (assuming you snake)...

considering your league penalizes for picks, brees isn't a bad option at #8 but i would still hope a top tier back slides...either a chris johnson, or maybe even steven jackson may slip...

how do your your other league members draft?...do u have a feel for that?...

SoDak Bronco
08-04-2009, 10:32 AM
It is a competitive league. Normally RB's are gobbled up early and often. What do you mean by ppr? Looking at the leauge last year, it seemed that to QB's scored more then top RB's. If you are passing for 4500 yds and 35 TD's you are getting more pts then a RB going for 1500 yds and 15 TD's, so I hope to get a QB. My guess is that Brees and Brady will be taken before my pick, which would give me a solid RB at #8. Would you take Brady at 8?

Gcver2ver3
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
It is a competitive league. Normally RB's are gobbled up early and often. What do you mean by ppr? Looking at the leauge last year, it seemed that to QB's scored more then top RB's. If you are passing for 4500 yds and 35 TD's you are getting more pts then a RB going for 1500 yds and 15 TD's, so I hope to get a QB. My guess is that Brees and Brady will be taken before my pick, which would give me a solid RB at #8. Would you take Brady at 8?

ppr = (points per reception)...

yes i would strongly consider brady at #8...thats a good value pick...

as far as QBs scoring more than RBs last year, thats a valid point but typically QBs will always score more than RBs on avg...the major issue historically though was that even though they score more, there are a larger pool of them than top RBs...a solid season from a QB is around the low 20s in TD passes and those are a dime a dozen compared to a RB that gets u 1500yds and 15tds...so typically the diff bewteen the top FF team wasn't the QB production but the RB production...whoever gets the top backs fisrts usually won leagues...

with that said, all these teams running RBBC is kinda throwing a monkey wrench into our conventional FF strategies...

so yea i'd say getting Brady at #8 is a great value pick...

underrated29
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Steven Jackson isn't a sleeper.

He is if he makes it past the 6th pick!

He is going to put up numbers to make him a top 3 pick next year. So landing him anything after 6 is gravy in my book. But i will have to go with AD. less i can trade down.

Beantown Bronco
08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
with that said, all these teams running RBBC is kinda throwing a monkey wrench into our conventional FF strategies...

bingo.....WRs have gone from a first round/second round afterthought in most of my leagues to being drafted side-by-side with the top RBs.

TheChamp24
08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
my team last year in a 12 team 2starting QB league was:
QB J.CUTLER
QB B.FAVRE
BACKUP J.FLACCO
WR C.JOHNSON
WR B.MARSHALL
WR T.OWENS
BACKUP E.ROYAL
BACKUP T.GINN JR
RB S.SLATON
RB MJD
BACKUP MARSHAWN LYNCH
BACKUP M.MOORE
TE C.COOLEY

what you think about that team? and who i should keep

How many can you keep, and is there a penalty for keeping players?
I would have these guys be keepers in this order:
1. Maurice Jones-Drew
2. Jay Cutler
3. Steve Slaton
4. Calvin Johnson
5. Brandon Marshall
6. Terrell Owens
7. Marshawn Lynch
8. Eddie Royal

As for the RB's, I honestly think MJD won't live up to #1, #2 fantasy pick production. Steven Jackson, I'm iffy on, Rams offense sucks around him, it will be hard for him to get yards and TD's.
I think there needs to be more value placed on WR's like Fitzgerald, the Johnson's, Randy Moss. Those guys probably will produce as well as a majority of RB's now that a lot of teams are doing RBBC.
I think in my league I'm in, I'm going to pray for a mid to late 1st round pick because there is too many question marks/risks early in the draft.