PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Ayers not close to signing, shanahan

titan
08-01-2009, 07:49 AM
A couple of tidbits from Adam Schefter's twitter page this morning:

"Not sure where Denver is with Knowshon Moreno, but its not close to deal with Robert Ayers. Tough talks."

I was hoping Ayers would sign soon (it appeared the two sides were close to a deal a couple of days ago). Getting Ayers in is more critical than Moreno.

"Mike Shanahan and Bob Slowik standing by Steelers defense, studying how the world champs do their thing."

When Shanahan comes back looks like Slowik will be with him.

snowspot66
08-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Well, best of luck to you Mike. You'll need all the help you can get dragging that anchor around with you.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Any team taking Shanahan would be stupid to allow Slowik to come along after that abortion he slapped on the field last season. The guy's resume is garbage.

BroncoInferno
08-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Seems like a lot of 1st rounders are still unsigned for some reason. Once more start to be signed that put Ayers and Moreno in a slot that will give both sides a better framework to make a deal.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 07:57 AM
A couple of tidbits from Adam Schefter's twitter page this morning:

"Not sure where Denver is with Knowshon Moreno, but its not close to deal with Robert Ayers. Tough talks."

I was hoping Ayers would sign soon (it appeared the two sides were close to a deal a couple of days ago). Getting Ayers in is more critical than Moreno.

"Mike Shanahan and Bob Slowik standing by Steelers defense, studying how the world champs do their thing."

When Shanahan comes back looks like Slowik will be with him.

When I talked with Josina at practice yesterday I asked her about the talks between Ayers and Moreno. She said they were far apart. I asked about the report of them being close and she said that they were but something went on with renegotiating the contract.

The good news, Tim Crowder and Darrell Reid look pretty good yesterday. We can survive with or without Ayers. And, don't worry about Moreno. Hillis, Buckhalter, and Torain can carry the rock for this team and be VERY effective!

Oh, and yesterday Peyton Hillis destroyed Darrell Reid on a block (chip) over the middle. At first I thought it was a DLineman and I was like ooooh, but it was Reid. Still, a big boy for Peyton to be putting on his butt.

backup qb
08-01-2009, 08:08 AM
When I talked with Josina at practice yesterday I asked her about the talks between Ayers and Moreno. She said they were far apart. I asked about the report of them being close and she said that they were but something went on with renegotiating the contract.

The good news, Tim Crowder and Darrell Reid look pretty good yesterday. We can survive with or without Ayers. And, don't worry about Moreno. Hillis, Buckhalter, and Torain can carry the rock for this team and be VERY effective!

Oh, and yesterday Peyton Hillis destroyed Darrell Reid on a block (chip) over the middle. At first I thought it was a DLineman and I was like ooooh, but it was Reid. Still, a big boy for Peyton to be putting on his butt.

Don't we have to worry? Bad teams depend on first rounders to make an impact, especially when one of those comes from the dealing of your franchise qb. Oh wait, better not start that again.

watermock
08-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Couple days should do it.

"I'll take care of it."

NYBronco
08-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Don't we have to worry? Bad teams depend on first rounders to make an impact, especially when one of those comes from the dealing of your franchise qb. Oh wait, better not start that again.

I think bad teams have a list of problems that go far beyond one player, coach or owner.

Let's see how it plays out after three days of TC and then we can all be critical of the path chosen. Seems fair, let's not wait until an actual game is played.

Kaylore
08-01-2009, 08:30 AM

That was the tweet? I don't even know what that means. "Standing by the Steelers defense?" Uhh

OK so I read his page. He's visiting Steeler's camp with Slowick as a guest of Tomlin's. Hopefully Slowick throws out his playbook and starts to learn real defensive strategy.

~Crash~
08-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Any team taking Shanahan would be stupid to allow Slowik to come along after that abortion he slapped on the field last season. The guy's resume is garbage.

yes and no . Slowik is really smart like Dennison and he stuck by him and it paid huge for the Broncos ! so don't be so negative sometimes change is good I am now going to go with McD is good for the Broncos until other wise proved ... good help me... lol

Kaylore
08-01-2009, 08:38 AM
yes and no . Slowik is really smart like Dennison and he stuck by him and it paid huge for the Broncos !
You're either confusing Slowick with someone else or completely insane.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-01-2009, 08:48 AM
yes and no . Slowik is really smart like Dennison and he stuck by him and it paid huge for the Broncos ! so don't be so negative sometimes change is good I am now going to go with McD is good for the Broncos until other wise proved ... good help me... lol

I'm having a hard time understanding this.

montrose
08-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Did Slowik steal the pics from Hape or something?

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Hey Raj, I met Josina yesterday. Pretty cool gal and she is on top of things for sure. Had the scoop on Ayers Thursday night. She was bagging on folks trying to report on Broncos happenings from 10 states away.

Rulon Velvet Jones
08-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Pretty cool gal and she is on top of things for sure.

That's the word.

TonyR
08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
OK so I read his page. He's visiting Steeler's camp with Slowick as a guest of Tomlin's. Hopefully Slowick throws out his playbook and starts to learn real defensive strategy.

Is it just me or is it a little odd for a veteran coach like Shanny to be visiting another NFL team's camp? Particularly when that team is headed by a young head coach. Just doesn't seem like something Shanny would do.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Here is what Josina had Thursday night, right after it was reported that the Broncos and Ayers were close and a deal was "rejected by the league".

Sources: Robert Ayers Won't Report Friday Unless Drastic Changes
When the Denver Broncos conduct their first full-squad team practice during training camp Friday, expect rookie defensive end/outside linebacker Robert Ayers not to be present.

That of course unless something drastically changes overnight.

Fox 31’s Josina Anderson talked to inside sources with knowledge of Ayers’ situation late Thursday evening at the top of the 9 o'clock hour.

“A deal looked like it was getting done but the Broncos decided they didn't like the terms,” said a league source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There is no doubt that the Broncos' defensive unit, which finished last season with a 29th overall ranking, needs the contribution of a rookie player many project to be a starter in Denver this season.

However, Anderson has learned negotiations between the sides are even farther apart at this hour.

“[They] are totally far apart right now,” added the source.

Apparently the sticking point is the way the deal is being structured. Given the fluidity of the collective bargaining agreement in the future, there is a hyper-vigilance over the terms in a lot of rookie contracts this season, particularly those for first round draft picks.

One can assume that Ayers, the former player out of Tennessee, wants to be on the field practicing with his teammates, but market value according to draft order slotting is what it is.

Regardless of where things stand now, Anderson was told everything is being done to square the situation away as soon as possible-within reason of course

Dr. Broncenstein
08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bobslowik.jpg

Sometimes you can just look at a guy, and just know he has the "it factor." Bob Slowik does not fit that description.

montrose
08-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey Raj, I met Josina yesterday. Pretty cool gal and she is on top of things for sure. Had the scoop on Ayers Thursday night. She was bagging on folks trying to report on Broncos happenings from 10 states away.

She's awesome.

elsid13
08-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Is it just me or is it a little odd for a veteran coach like Shanny to be visiting another NFL team's camp? Particularly when that team is headed by a young head coach. Just doesn't seem like something Shanny would do.

They (football coaches) all do it. Shanahan stated that he visiting other camps and watching how other team work things out. Shanahan said that this break has allowed him to explore other ideas and chance to see how he can improve on his coaching experience by sharing ideas with other coaches.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, she was working pretty hard... Oh, I have some news regarding reporting. I'll start a thread...

underrated29
08-01-2009, 09:24 AM
slowick is the biggest disgrace of a DC the football world has EVER seen!

Hamrob
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm a huge Shanapologist....but, what a ego! His ego is probably 2x that of Mickey-D!

To me, it sounds like, Shanny is going to try and make people eat their words about Slowick, to save face about not getting rid of him in the first place.

O.K., maybe they'e just friends...but man...you think he'd try to distance himself from that anvil!

TonyR
08-01-2009, 09:45 AM
They (football coaches) all do it.

I don't know, I've seen college coaches visiting NFL camps but I dont recall hearing about a veteran NFL coach doing this. It's basically an admission that you have something to learn from somebody else and/or that somebody does it better than you, and veteran NFL coaches usually have far too much ego to make such admissions. Can you imagine Parcells or Belichick visiting another team's camp?

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I just find it out of character for Shanny.

baja
08-01-2009, 09:48 AM
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bobslowik.jpg

Sometimes you can just look at a guy, and just know he has the "it factor." Bob Slowik does not fit that description.

He does look like he could gnaw down a sapling in 4 minutes flat though.

In high school he was known as Bob "The Beaver" Slowik.

elsid13
08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't know, I've seen college coaches visiting NFL camps but I dont recall hearing about a veteran NFL coach doing this. It's basically an admission that you have something to learn from somebody else and/or that somebody does it better than you, and veteran NFL coaches usually have far too much ego to make such admissions. Can you imagine Parcells or Belichick visiting another team's camp?

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, I just find it out of character for Shanny.

Both Cowher and Parcell (NO and NYG) have visited some camps when they were out of work. And Marty actually stopped in Denver once.

Beside as much as people think Shanahan is arrogant, he a guy that will do what he needs to find way to improve himself and be a better coach.

Lev Vyvanse
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
He does look like he could gnaw down a sapling in 4 minutes flat though.

In high school he was known as Bob "The Beaver" Slowik.

Must be why Shanahan likes him so much. Rodents tend to stick together. http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/mikeshanahan.jpg

colonelbeef
08-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Both Cowher and Parcell (NO and NYG) have visited some camps when they were out of work. And Marty actually stopped in Denver once.

Beside as much as people think Shanahan is arrogant, he a guy that will do what he needs to find way to improve himself and be a better coach.

I would say this is an example of humility- Shanahan watching the way Dick LeBeau runs his defense is an admonition that he needs to improve this area of his game next time around, even though in the past he has fielded championship-quality defenses.

Shanahan is going to come back as good as ever, if McDaniels works out, great, if the Broncos are 4-12 this year and Orton clearly is the backup he has always seemed to be while Cutler dominates in Chicago, hopefully Shanahan will allow Bowlen to talk him into reassuming his position.

DenverBrit
08-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Shanny takes Slowik job hunting.

http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/images/uploads/20093early/ball-n-chain-guy_rubberball.jpg

misturanderson
08-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I would say this is an example of humility- Shanahan watching the way Dick LeBeau runs his defense is an admonition that he needs to improve this area of his game next time around, even though in the past he has fielded championship-quality defenses.

Shanahan is going to come back as good as ever, if McDaniels works out, great, if the Broncos are 4-12 this year and Orton clearly is the backup he has always seemed to be while Cutler dominates in Chicago, hopefully Shanahan will allow Bowlen to talk him into reassuming his position.

Talk about unrealistic expectations.

Los Broncos
08-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Why in the hell would Shanny take that guy with him, he sucks.

Broncos4tw
08-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Who gives a crap about Shanny and Slowik now. I care more about Ayers, and I hope they come to an agreement very soon. Considering we had to give up a franchise player for this pick, it better pan out.

watermock
08-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Actually, it was the Bears pick, as was Smith.

Our pick was Moreno.

rovolution
08-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Shanny takes Slowik job hunting.

http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/images/uploads/20093early/ball-n-chain-guy_rubberball.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Actually, it was the Bears pick, as was Smith.

Our pick was Moreno.

Smith is going to turn out to be the best pick of this draft for us and I still think that all of our picks will make the team. We have some players from this draft.

Kaylore
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/580/siskoanimated.gif

CEH
08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Smith is going to turn out to be the best pick of this draft for us and I still think that all of our picks will make the team. We have some players from this draft.

My only concern at this point with SMith and I watch him 100 % yesterday morning is while he is always around the ball he's not converting INTs. Misses seem to be his MO right now as well as the Senior Bowl

If he can start turning these near misses into actual INTS then we have a player with Pro Bowl potential otherwise I see him as a serviceable starter but nothing special

He needs to be special for this team to take the next step

colonelbeef
08-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Talk about unrealistic expectations.

the part about Shanahan coming back was tongue in cheek, obviously. If you are saying that McDaniels succeeding is unrealistic, I hope you are wrong

Tombstone RJ
08-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Seems like a lot of 1st rounders are still unsigned for some reason. Once more start to be signed that put Ayers and Moreno in a slot that will give both sides a better framework to make a deal.

Many share the same agency and it's this agency that is holding up a lot of the signings.

More reason for a rookie salary cap.

Gcver2ver3
08-01-2009, 11:02 AM
with all this trouble signing our 1st rounders, i'm starting to actually appreciate the fact that we traded next year's 1st for a high 2nd rounder (that we used to draft a player that had a 1st round grade anyway)...

especially if alphonso works out...

i don't feel like going through this again next year....signing two 1st rounders is no easy feat...

cutthemdown
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
IMO Slowik often had a defender in place to make a play but they just couldn't get it done. Not sure our problems were because the D coordinator stunk. I saw a lot of things that were just the players being total crap.

underrated29
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
IMO Slowik often had a defender in place to make a play but they just couldn't get it done. Not sure our problems were because the D coordinator stunk. I saw a lot of things that were just the players being total crap.

Look again at the miami game or the atlanta game again.

They were numerous 3rd and shorts (like 3rd and 3) etc etc. and Slow has our Cbs playing 10 yards off the LOS. a quick slant and they get the 1st down. And it happened over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Then it happened again and again and again. Bob blowsdick is the worst DC to ever coach in the NFL hands DOWN!!!!!

Tombstone RJ
08-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Look again at the miami game or the atlanta game again.

They were numerous 3rd and shorts (like 3rd and 3) etc etc. and Slow has our Cbs playing 10 yards off the LOS. a quick slant and they get the 1st down. And it happened over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Then it happened again and again and again. Bob blowsdick is the worst DC to ever coach in the NFL hands DOWN!!!!!

Agreed, but in what little defense I will provide for Slowik's system, he basically was trying to prevent the big play.

Slowik had little confidence in the players he had, he and the coaching staff stunk when it came to maximizing the defensive line's abilities, and on top of that, nobody was held responsible for their play. Then you add in the fact that Shanny treated the defense like second class citizens and you have a recipe for disaster.

Shanny had to go.

titan
08-01-2009, 12:51 PM
another tweet from Schefter:

"When Mike Shanahan spoke to the Pittsburgh media, he made it very clear that he will be coaching in 2010."

Good! Bowlen can use the 7 million next year to get all the rookies in camp on time.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
My only concern at this point with SMith and I watch him 100 % yesterday morning is while he is always around the ball he's not converting INTs. Misses seem to be his MO right now as well as the Senior Bowl

If he can start turning these near misses into actual INTS then we have a player with Pro Bowl potential otherwise I see him as a serviceable starter but nothing special

He needs to be special for this team to take the next step

Fear not my friend, he is the ACC's all-time leader in INTs for a reason. Dude will make the play.