PDA

View Full Version : Marshall impresses in return to Broncos practice

Bronco Rob
07-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Brandon Marshall impressive at Broncos camp

As he ran down the sideline a few feet from the crowd, Brandon Marshall was well-positioned to hear the cheers.

The Broncos' star receiver had just made a nice catch on a well-thrown ball by quarterback Kyle Orton and Marshall was carrying out the play down field.

This was his first, full-squad practice with the Broncos since he underwent hip surgery on March 31, yet there was no limp, no detectable signs of rust.

"You could tell by watching him, he obviously has been working hard to try and get back where he was at last year," said Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler.

The crowd applauded a bit louder with every stride Marshall took. The fans know Marshall has said he wants to be traded. But they were letting him

know they'd like him to stay.

The play over, Marshall started back to the huddle when he became happy Brandon again. He turned, went up to a young boy who had stood up from the crowd, and slapped him a high five.

It was one of several catches Marshall made today in the Broncos' first day of training camp.

"He came out and looked real good," said receiver Brandon Stokley. "He ran good routes; he looked precise."

Following practice, Marshall entered the locker room without comment. But he was smiling as he walked by. Away from the field, Marshall is unhappy with his contract to the point he skipped a mandatory offseason minicamp in mid-June. He's back now.

Was Broncos coach Josh McDaniels pleasantly surprised by how Marshall performed on the first day of training camp?

"Excited about it; I wouldn't say pleasantly surprised," McDaniels said. "I know he's a good football player. I'm excited about watching him fit into our system and making plays."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12967944?source=rss

Marshall impresses in return to Broncos practice

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 31, 2009 7:49 PM ET

It looks like Brandon Marshall isn't going to suffer from one of those mysterious training camp injuries that often sideline disgruntled players.

Marshall returned to the field for a full practice Friday, his first since undergoing hip surgery on March 31.

Multiple Denver outlets commented that Marshall showed no rust and didn't limp after missing most of the offseason following hip surgery.

Josh McDaniels was asked if he was surprised how good Marshall looked.

"Excited about it; I wouldn't say pleasantly surprised," McDaniels said. "I know he's a good football player. I'm excited about watching him fit into our system and making plays."

The contract year receiver didn't speak to reporters and its believed he still wants to be traded.

It seems unlikely Marshall will get traded, but his only chance for it would be to show suitors that he's fully healthy during the preseason.

And if he stays in Denver, the only way to increase his market value is to put up big numbers, just like he has the last two seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/31/marshall-impresses-in-return-to-broncos-practice/

:thumbsup:

BlaK-Argentina
07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I think we can do well without him and I hate him for being so damn dumb and such a primadonna... but I love his talent and his attitude on the field and I hope we can work it out with him and have him in Denver for a long time. Probably not going to happen though.

Hogan11
07-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I wonder how much of this is a wishful, positive spin.....I mean, our guys thought he was dogging it a bit out there today, but you read nothing like that anywhere else.

..and our guys are beyond credible.

snowspot66
07-31-2009, 06:37 PM
We can franchise him if we want to keep him. And with the CBA falling through he's stuck here anyway. The only way he goes anywhere is if we choose to let him go. Personally I think he'll get a contract after his court date if all goes alright.

Lev Vyvanse
07-31-2009, 06:46 PM
He didn't pratice this afternoon was that planned?

KevinJames
07-31-2009, 06:57 PM
My guess unless we are blown away by a big trade he is going to get a contract offer after his trial, if it goes good.

rastaman
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
We can franchise him if we want to keep him. And with the CBA falling through he's stuck here anyway. The only way he goes anywhere is if we choose to let him go. Personally I think he'll get a contract after his court date if all goes alright.

So in essence BMarsh is Bowlen's Slave!!!!

BOWLEN TO BRANDON.........WE CAN KEEP YOU FOREVER----BIATCH!

Man-Goblin
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM

Well, I'm one of the opinion that there won't be a draft or free agency next year, by way of a lockout, unless there is a new CBA. With a new CBA, they can always franchise him (assuming there is a franchise tag in the new agreement), but what's the point when you can probably lock him up for several years at 2 to 2.5 times what they'll guarantee him for one year. If the contract is really what is making him not want to play for the Broncos, it's still a sticky situation.

I've been saying they should sign him yesterday if he's willing to listen to something in the Greg Jennings area of money, but I'm not so sure that's enough in his mind.

DenverBrit
07-31-2009, 08:17 PM
So in essence BMarsh is Bowlen's Slave!!!!

BOWLEN TO BRANDON.........WE CAN KEEP YOU FOREVER----BIATCH!

Expensive slave at $2.6 million.

rastaman
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Expensive slave at $2.6 million.

Meh! That peanuts....may as well take of 50% in taxes so thats really $1.3 million.

So tell me, why should Brandon continue to play at his previous reckless high risk abandon of 07 and 08 seasons and risk further injury and wear and tear for such a paltry salary? No sense allowing two and three tacklers to take shots at him or attempting further wear and tear on his knees by cutting against the grain to make something out of nothing. Broncos ain't paying him enough.

Brandon had better play smart during the next two years under the Broncos Gulag system if he hopes to inch further toward leaving the Broncos and still be in great health. He risks further injury and wear and tear to his body if he continues to play like he did in 07 and 08. The key to Bmarsh making money in the NFL is to have a 12-16 year career. The money will come, he just needs to stay healthy.

Lev Vyvanse
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Meh! That peanuts....may as well take of 50% in taxes so thats really $1.3 million.

So tell me, why should Brandon continue to play at his previous reckless high risk abandon of 07 and 08 seasons and risk further injury and wear and tear for such a paltry salary? No sense allowing two and three tacklers to take shots at him or attempting further wear and tear on his knees by cutting against the grain to make something out of nothing. Broncos ain't paying him enough.

Because if his production drops so will his potential salary.

rastaman
07-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Because if his production drops so will his potential salary.

Brandon is going into his 4th season......the key for Brandon making the big bucks is his LONGEVITY! If his stats decline, the Broncos can't expect nor demand high compensation for Bmarsh....can they. His market value comes into play when teams view his talents as the final piece to the puzzle for their teams to get to the next level. Bmarsh is more valuable to a team that already has talent at the WR and QB position and not necessarily to a rebuilding team environment. If he plays his cards right Bmarsh can eventually leave the Broncos. Keep this in mind the chances are greater of animosity btwn the Broncos and Bmarsh if they refuse to give Marshall the salary he deserves while continuing to tag him year after despite having become a free agent in 010, 011, and 012.

cutthemdown
07-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Marshal wont be traded. At this point I doubt any team willing to part with 2 high picks. Broncos know they can't give him away without looking really stupid and setting the talent of the team back. Other teams signing rookies and getting to that point where a lot of money already handed out this yr.

Maybe a sign and trade next yr if he is still unhappy, but I think its real likely Marshal stuck in Denver for this yr.

CoopDawg
07-31-2009, 10:46 PM
He would already have his contract if he wasn't so violent towards women and such a magnet for incidents involving police officers. That being said, glad to hear he looks solid in practice following the hip injury. His ability after the catch should enable him to break off some great plays this season!

Bronco Rob
08-01-2009, 08:06 AM
:sunshine:

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 08:18 AM
I wonder how much of this is a wishful, positive spin.....I mean, our guys thought he was dogging it a bit out there today, but you read nothing like that anywhere else.

..and our guys are beyond credible.

Oh he looked good... that's what I've been trying to say, even dogging it he is a beast. The guy is so physically talented that he doesn't have to try. He is like Champ Bailey. Champ looks like he's messing around and not even trying and yet nobody is close to getting open with him on the field. Brandon Marshall giving a less than 100% effort is still the most dominating offensive player on this team and he was still making plays left and right. And, to be fair he wasn't dogging it the whole time. He went hard a lot, it was the finishing of the plays that I noticed the lack of effort. Lazy catching the ball on a few occasions. But I also saw him climb the ladder on a few. I guess he was just grossly inconsistent and the drops that Khan saw coupled with the lazy catching that I saw drove us to the lazy effort analysis.

montrose
08-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Oh he looked good... that's what I've been trying to say, even dogging it he is a beast. The guy is so physically talented that he doesn't have to try. He is like Champ Bailey. Champ looks like he's messing around and not even trying and yet nobody is close to getting open with him on the field. Brandon Marshall giving a less than 100% effort is still the most dominating offensive player on this team and he was still making plays left and right. And, to be fair he wasn't dogging it the whole time. He went hard a lot, it was the finishing of the plays that I noticed the lack of effort. Lazy catching the ball on a few occasions. But I also saw him climb the ladder on a few. I guess he was just grossly inconsistent and the drops that Khan saw coupled with the lazy catching that I saw drove us to the lazy effort analysis.

Keep in mind this was his first real football action since the Chargers-shlacking since he didn't practice in OTAs. I can't imagine being that good at football so naturally...

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Good point and I think that he probably just expects his natural ability to take over and allow him to make all of those plays. And, in some cases (the one-handed catch that everyone ooohed and ahhhhed over) his natural ability allowed him to make the play. Just looking for more consistency and a better effort considering all of the drops he had last year.

Hogan11
08-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Good point and I think that he probably just expects his natural ability to take over and allow him to make all of those plays. And, in some cases (the one-handed catch that everyone ooohed and ahhhhed over) his natural ability allowed him to make the play. Just looking for more consistency and a better effort considering all of the drops he had last year.

I agree with all that, I'm just surprised that (seemingly) you guys were the only ones to notice it. Maybe the other reporters on the scene were influenced by the crowd's reactions to him some and by the overwhelming desire to see him work things out and stay in Denver. Who knows?

I can tell you this though, you guys' objectivity when giving these reports is what I've come to value over the years...if someone dogs it, you say so. You just don't seem to get that from the other media on hand.

SportinOne
08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Marshall is as good as gone. In an interview the other day he said that he has "faith that the people he had discussions with will live up to their word," and that he is getting ready, "to play football." He never mentioned the Broncos at all, just that he's getting ready for "a season."

So, enjoy him for now, take this time to get in your positive remarks about B Marsh since most of you will trash him after he leaves.

Los Broncos
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I cant get over how huge he looks, but from the sounds of the interview he did he may just be traded.

Broncoman13
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Marshall is as good as gone. In an interview the other day he said that he has "faith that the people he had discussions with will live up to their word," and that he is getting ready, "to play football." He never mentioned the Broncos at all, just that he's getting ready for "a season."

So, enjoy him for now, take this time to get in your positive remarks about B Marsh since most of you will trash him after he leaves.

He isn't going anywhere. Teams are offering up 4th round picks for him. You really think the Broncos are going to let him walk for a 4th round pick?

Besides, I heard some things yesterday that have led me to believe that this is now strictly about getting a new contract. Brandon flashed a big smile yesterday and said something along the lines of "anyone seen Jerry McGuire?" To me, that says "Show me the money." And after McD gets to see a little more of BMarsh and the August court date goes okay, BMarsh will likely see the money. Based on nothing more than my own personal speculation, I can see him getting a long term deal in the next month or so if he isn't suspended.

(Jae)
08-01-2009, 09:33 AM

lol......

DenverBrit
08-01-2009, 09:41 AM
He isn't going anywhere. Teams are offering up 4th round picks for him. You really think the Broncos are going to let him walk for a 4th round pick?

Besides, I heard some things yesterday that have led me to believe that this is now strictly about getting a new contract. Brandon flashed a big smile yesterday and said something along the lines of "anyone seen Jerry McGuire?" To me, that says "Show me the money." And after McD gets to see a little more of BMarsh and the August court date goes okay, BMarsh will likely see the money. Based on nothing more than my own personal speculation, I can see him getting a long term deal in the next month or so if he isn't suspended.

You're exactly right.
The issues that stop other teams wanting to step up with a significant trade offer, are the same issues that concern the Broncos.

tsiguy96
08-01-2009, 10:07 AM

if you bitch your way off of my favorite team, you deserve to be trashed to the fullest extent :)

Tombstone RJ
08-01-2009, 10:57 AM
The Broncos are better with BMarsh than without. If a contract can be ironed out this year, then that would be in the Broncos best interest. Again, I liken BMarsh to a young Chris Carter who had to learn the hard way about life off the football field.

Hogan11
08-01-2009, 11:22 AM
if you b**** your way off of my favorite team, you deserve to be trashed to the fullest extent :)

:saywhat: Man, have you done a 180...a year ago, he could do no wrong.

Sassy
08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
if you b**** your way off of my favorite team, you deserve to be trashed to the fullest extent :)

But yet we're Marshall Haters...:~ohyah!:

Bronco Rob
08-02-2009, 07:48 AM
:afro:

BroncoDoug
08-02-2009, 09:32 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/02/marshall-limps-off-field/

uh oh... Marshall Limps off favoring his hip today...

tnedator
08-02-2009, 09:40 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/02/marshall-limps-off-field/

uh oh... Marshall Limps off favoring his hip today...

How does one differentiate favoring a leg from a hip?

BroncoDoug
08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
How does one differentiate favoring a leg from a hip?

because once you become a beat writer for the paper you automatically get a Doctorate degree and pretty much know all...cmon now.

tnedator
08-02-2009, 09:48 AM
because once you become a beat writer for the paper you automatically get a Doctorate degree and pretty much know all...cmon now.

Per Vic Lombardi:

@VicLombardi BMarshall just walked off the field with a trainer...I'm told it's nothing serious

lex
08-02-2009, 09:50 AM
"nothing serious"...according to whom? The training staff that misdiagnosed his injury last year?

I dont think you can take "its nothing serious" at face value.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-02-2009, 09:55 AM
"nothing serious"...according to whom? The training staff that misdiagnosed his injury last year?

Once, just once, I'd like you to say something with a slightly positive tone. It's hard waking up in the morning isn't it

Gcver2ver3
08-02-2009, 09:58 AM

and i think you make constant negative comments soley to get reaction...

lex
08-02-2009, 10:00 AM

Im not telling you what to think.

Gcver2ver3
08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Im not telling you what to think.

nor i you...

BabyTO
08-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Maybe the idiots in here will understand now why he wasn't practicing on TUE and WED. They don't want to rush him in. Let's hope he's gonna be back soon.

rastaman
08-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Once, just once, I'd like you to say something with a slightly positive tone. It's hard waking up in the morning isn't it

Yes sometimes its hard waking up to reality.......it is what it is.

rastaman
08-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Maybe the idiots in here will understand now why he wasn't practicing on TUE and WED. They don't want to rush him in. Let's hope he's gonna be back soon.

Exactly, these Bmarsh haters are really amazing. I'd like see them put some pads on and volunteer for Bronco training camp.

rastaman
08-02-2009, 10:26 AM

The Bmarsh haters make negative comments for attention as well.