PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Training Camp AM Report 7.31.09!

24champ
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Football season has gotten underway this morning, weather was great since the last few days in Denver have been really crappy. Anyway some general statements about camp before I get into the player reports.

****ING KIDS! Leave them at home, goddamn crying and whining. Can't stand it!

Got that out of my system...Alright so I noticed A LOT of changes with how Training camp is run. First thing I noticed is that you don't wait in a line before camp shows up. You just walk in and pick a place to sit. No more waiting forever to sit down. Also I noticed MUSIC was blaring during stretches and before camp got underway. I think the players and fans liked it a lot.

They stretched a lot, did some stretching drills. So that's an improvement over past camps. I came away impressed with how camp was run overall, particularly with coaching and emphasis on the drills. Hitting was nice to see! I am a big critic of McDaniels offseason moves, but he was all over camp at different stations and positions. Very much a hands on coach. I don't think coaching will be a problem guys, whether they made the right moves in the offseason is another debate.

Here we go...

Quarterbacks-

Kyle Orton- Looked pretty sharp out there, though he did fumble the snap on the first play of camp..however made a lot of good throws to Brandon Marshall. One thing I noticed about Kyle is he does a good job of pre-snap reads and he can put the ball where he wants it on short passing situations. Didn't see too many long balls thrown by any of the QBs. Also another tidbit, is Orton is very much a LEADER, talks with his teammates throughout camp, almost reminds me of Jake Plummer in that regard.

Chris Simms- He wasn't as good as Kyle, however he looked like a decent backup option out there. I didn't pay attention to him very much. Sorry BUFF!!!!!

Tom Brandstater- He is a project, but coaches were very hands on with him to learn how to make the correct throws etc. Saw some flashes, and I think he could be a good QB in the future if the coaches groom him right.

Running Backs

Corey Buckhalter- Did pretty well, broke into the secondary a few times. Seems to do REALLY well when he goes outside and breaks lose.

Peyton Hillis- Still very tough to bring down, ****ing bulldozer. Great first day!

Ryan Torain- Choo! Choo! He was great out there, though I gotta admit he needs to fix his running stance. He runs high, and doesn't get low. Hopefully McDaniels fixes that.

Darious Walker- Has decent hands actually, saw some good runs. Other than that, not much to report on. Looks like a decent depth player to have.

Lamont Jordan- Didn't focus on him too much, Hillis, Torain, Buckhalter stole the show for the running backs. Another camp reporter has more details on him, I hope.

Knowshon Moreno- Looked for him everywhere, but I wonder if he even practiced?

Tight Ends-

Tony Scheffler- My first impression was that Tony bulked up. I didn't see many catches he made, if any.

Quinn- Was on my list of players to watch, he did well blocking when I saw him.

Graham- He has me worried on the passing drills, he has stone hands obviously but he almost dropped a couple. Far as blocking goes, I didn't notice he did anything wrong. Which is good for people blocking, if your not noticed then you did a good job...

Wide Recievers-

Brandon Marshall- All the fans were cheering him on, want him to stay. Today he showed why we want him to stay, he was electric. Jumping up for catches, did really really well. I hope we don't trade this guy. It would be a big mistake. Pay him Pat!

Brandon Lloyd- I noticed him because he almost ran into me and killed me out there. He can get open, not sure what the knock on him is. But he caught a couple balls today. Not a bad day for Lloyd.

Jabar Gaffney- He was the second best receiver behind Marshall today. He did really well, caught some impressive balls.

Eddie Royal- Saw Eddie everywhere in camp, he was returning kicks, running the ball on reverses. Lots of things going on for Eddie, he will be a key guy this season since it looks like he is involved in a variety of roles for the team.

Chad Jackson- Needs to cut the dreads, caught one or two balls out there. Not really noticeable out there.

Kenny McKinely- Looked fast out there on the field, he can definitely blow by guys. Caught a few balls. Good first day, hope he improves a lot.

Offensive Line-

Ryan Clady- Looked like a BEAST! I love this guy, he is a monster and is quick. He gave Orton PLENTY of time to throw. Not worried about LT at all.

Ryan Harris- Looked good as well. Although, one of the plays, the line couldn't open a hole for the RB.

Chris Kuper- Looked good, a real road grader. Lock him up.

I didn't focus a lot on the O-line, although I am somewhat worried about our depth there. Simms and Brandstater with their second and third teamers, had gotten sacked a couple times. Again, first time looks great, second and third needs some work.

Defense coming up next...which one of you maners is this?LOL

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp029.jpg

Punisher
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks 24

bfoflcommish
07-31-2009, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=24champ;2488654]Brandon Lloyd- I noticed him because he almost ran into me and killed me out there. He can get open, not sure what the knock on him is. But he caught a couple balls today. Not a bad day for Lloyd.
[QUOTE]

watch his game film. also google him and see the awesome gif where he ducks from a ball thrown at him.

http://forum.ninercaphell.com/images/smilies/blduck.gif

gyldenlove
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
The book on Lloyd is that he has problems making the mundane catches and has been known to dog it on some plays. He can make some spectacular ones and is very quick on his feets, but his cuts need to a lot of work and his hands need to be consistent.

tnedator
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Was Hillis getting carries at RB? Did they line him up at FB at all?

broncosteven
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
The book on Lloyd is that he has problems making the mundane catches and has been known to dog it on some plays. He can make some spectacular ones and is very quick on his feets, but his cuts need to a lot of work and his hands need to be consistent.

He may stick if he gells with Orton, they have history in Chicago.

Kaylore
07-31-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm grateful for the offensive line report. We simply could not see them work from where we were standing. And I lol'd at the Jackson/cut the dreds thing.:~ohyah!:

BabyTO
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
thanks!

24champ
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Defense-

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp027.jpg

Linebackers-

Jarvis Moss- Did a lot of dropping back, kept the ball in front of him. Did well, he could be decent. Still looks a bit stiff to me out there, but he might succeed at this position more than people think. Coaching will help him as well.

DJ Williams- Didn't notice DJ on plays, though I did see him communicating with other teammates after a play, a good sign that everyone is working to get on the same page.

Andre Davis- Needs to get that extra step, if he could do that. He will be an impact player. He came close several times to sacking the QB. He is almost there, but not good enough.

Wesley Woodyard- 59 was all over the place, I love this guys heart. He makes plays by working hard. Doesn't stop. He was impressive today, I hope he finds a spot on the D full-time.

Tim Crowder- Like Moss, he did good in passing situations. Though differene between the two was Crowder was not stiff. I suspect things will get better when they get more comfortable in this scheme. Decent day.

Darrell Reid- Didn't seem him much in plays, but maybe Oskie/Kahn saw something I didn't/

Defensive Line-

J'vonne Parker- I had my doubts, thought he was camp fodder but he is a big body on the line that can take up space. No playmaking ability whatsoever but he can hold up well.

Carlton Powell- BIG DUDE. He can fill the gaps pretty well. He is HUGE though. Wow.

Ryan McBean- Looks raw...real raw. Needs more reps and teaching. A project.

Kenny Peterson- Looks good, no doubt he will be in the rotation for the DL.

Cornerbacks-

Dawkins- Looks great, he was a real leader out there yapping with the players and stuff like that.

Goodman- He seems to be a real smart player, and physical as well. Which is the word of the day...PHYSICAL.

JMFJW- I saw him on some reps, kept the ball in front of him. In fact that's what I noticed about some of the linebackers as well, they all in coverage made sure if the ball was caught that it was in front of them, not behind.

Alphonso Smith- WOW! This guy is the Eddie Royal of the Defense. Used in a lot of different situations. Highlight of his day was blocking the fg kick.

Kickers-

Colquitt- Didn't look sharp today, I wasn't impressed.

Prater- 6-7 on FG's I think, not bad! Though he did have a blocked kick by Alphonso.

Kern- Had some ok punts, couple good ones.

Guys, short report. Forgot my notebook but I will bring mine this afternoon and get more details to jot down.

More Pics coming up!:welcome:

slyinky
07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
watch his game film. also google him and see the awesome gif where he ducks from a ball thrown at him.

http://forum.ninercaphell.com/images/smilies/blduck.gif

The ref was in his way and screwed with his timing. By the time he readjusted and looked for the ball, it was at his head. He just instinctively ducked. Not a fair indictment IMO.

Punisher
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Goodman- He seems to be a real smart player, and physical as well. Which is the word of the day...PHYSICAL.

Thats what i like to hear

bfoflcommish
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
The ref was in his way and screwed with his timing. By the time he readjusted and looked for the ball, it was at his head. He just instinctively ducked. Not a fair indictment IMO.

i get what you are saying but all the games ive watched high school and up i have never seen it done prior or again so, instinctively???

broncofan2438
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks 24...great stuff

24champ
07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp011.jpg

Players stretching drills.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp013.jpg

Orton stretching out.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp021.jpg

Brandstater hands off to Torain...choo choo!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp022.jpg

Torain again...he'll bust off 2k in our system...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp023.jpg

Buckhalter going outside, he did get a lot of yards going outside.

Tombstone RJ
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks 24, always appreciated!

24champ
07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp024.jpg

Kyle Orton.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp025.jpg

Brandon Marshall.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp028.jpg

Prater kicking...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp031.jpg

Kyle signing autographs.

Saved the best picture for last!!!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp033.jpg
Mcpoopypants and camp legend Fred.

theAPAOps5
07-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Fred just took a kids soul in that picture. Great timing Champ!

Rabb
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
in that pic it almost looks like Lloyd is expecting the ball to go to another receiver behind him

I would have to see the whole play develop before I called it his fault

BabyTO
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
What about Chris Baker did anybody notice him?

Broncoman13
07-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Good pictures Champ... That was another difference from years past. Almost every player coming off the field was carrying a sharpie. In the past only a couple players would sign autographs and you would have to wait for hours while the practices were going on. I was telling Khan during practice that it would be good for "customer relations" to send players out to the crowd to interact with them. I suggested the start with the injured players or guys that can't pass a physical to "motivate" them to get their butts on the field. ;D

Glad to see guys like Orton and McD signing and mingling with the fans. Never seen it at Dove Valley before... not with Cutler/Plummer or Shanny.

24champ
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Fred just took a kids soul in that picture. Great timing Champ!

Fred doesn't patrol the sidelines anymore, which explains the increase in babies/kids in the crowd.Ha!

I don't know where/what Fred does now, but I am guessing he is by you guys or with McD/coaches.

Requiem
07-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Great stuff, awesome pictures.

24champ
07-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Good pictures Champ... That was another difference from years past. Almost every player coming off the field was carrying a sharpie. In the past only a couple players would sign autographs and you would have to wait for hours while the practices were going on. I was telling Khan during practice that it would be good for "customer relations" to send players out to the crowd to interact with them. I suggested the start with the injured players or guys that can't pass a physical to "motivate" them to get their butts on the field. ;D

Glad to see guys like Orton and McD signing and mingling with the fans. Never seen it at Dove Valley before... not with Cutler/Plummer or Shanny.

This is definitely one of the best training camps I have been to, they made it a lot more enjoyable for the fans, no more waiting around to sit before camp starts. I also got a picture with my adopt-a-bronco Tom Brandstater. It was fun.

broncofan2438
07-31-2009, 04:45 PM
This is definitely one of the best training camps I have been to, they made it a lot more enjoyable for the fans, no more waiting around to sit before camp starts. I also got a picture with my adopt-a-bronco Tom Brandstater. It was fun.

Nice man, good to hear it was a good time. Are you going to all of them?

Los Broncos
07-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Just from seeing Nolan out there, what was your feeling on him? overall coaching.

broncosteven
07-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Saved the best picture for last!!!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp033.jpg
Mcpoopypants and camp legend Fred.

Where are the horns?

Did he thin out the fans with a good 1930's Purge?

LOL

SoCalBronco
07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Great job, 24!

Especially love the pic of Fred! He's definitely a stud.

I'm surprised Fred found enough time for that stuff......he's usually too busy signing bra straps. ;D

Tankgunner95
07-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Football season has gotten underway this morning, weather was great since the last few days in Denver have been really crappy. Anyway some general statements about camp before I get into the player reports.

****ING KIDS! Leave them at home, goddamn crying and whining. Can't stand it!

Got that out of my system...Alright so I noticed A LOT of changes with how Training camp is run. First thing I noticed is that you don't wait in a line before camp shows up. You just walk in and pick a place to sit. No more waiting forever to sit down. Also I noticed MUSIC was blaring during stretches and before camp got underway. I think the players and fans liked it a lot.

They stretched a lot, did some stretching drills. So that's an improvement over past camps. I came away impressed with how camp was run overall, particularly with coaching and emphasis on the drills. Hitting was nice to see! I am a big critic of McDaniels offseason moves, but he was all over camp at different stations and positions. Very much a hands on coach. I don't think coaching will be a problem guys, whether they made the right moves in the offseason is another debate.

Here we go...

Quarterbacks-

Kyle Orton- Looked pretty sharp out there, though he did fumble the snap on the first play of camp..however made a lot of good throws to Brandon Marshall. One thing I noticed about Kyle is he does a good job of pre-snap reads and he can put the ball where he wants it on short passing situations. Didn't see too many long balls thrown by any of the QBs. Also another tidbit, is Orton is very much a LEADER, talks with his teammates throughout camp, almost reminds me of Jake Plummer in that regard.

Chris Simms- He wasn't as good as Kyle, however he looked like a decent backup option out there. I didn't pay attention to him very much. Sorry BUFF!!!!!

Tom Brandstater- He is a project, but coaches were very hands on with him to learn how to make the correct throws etc. Saw some flashes, and I think he could be a good QB in the future if the coaches groom him right.

Running Backs

Corey Buckhalter- Did pretty well, broke into the secondary a few times. Seems to do REALLY well when he goes outside and breaks lose.

Peyton Hillis- Still very tough to bring down, ****ing bulldozer. Great first day!

Ryan Torain- Choo! Choo! He was great out there, though I gotta admit he needs to fix his running stance. He runs high, and doesn't get low. Hopefully McDaniels fixes that.

Darious Walker- Has decent hands actually, saw some good runs. Other than that, not much to report on. Looks like a decent depth player to have.

Lamont Jordan- Didn't focus on him too much, Hillis, Torain, Buckhalter stole the show for the running backs. Another camp reporter has more details on him, I hope.

Knowshon Moreno- Looked for him everywhere, but I wonder if he even practiced?

Tight Ends-

Tony Scheffler- My first impression was that Tony bulked up. I didn't see many catches he made, if any.

Quinn- Was on my list of players to watch, he did well blocking when I saw him.

Graham- He has me worried on the passing drills, he has stone hands obviously but he almost dropped a couple. Far as blocking goes, I didn't notice he did anything wrong. Which is good for people blocking, if your not noticed then you did a good job...

Wide Recievers-

Brandon Marshall- All the fans were cheering him on, want him to stay. Today he showed why we want him to stay, he was electric. Jumping up for catches, did really really well. I hope we don't trade this guy. It would be a big mistake. Pay him Pat!

Brandon Lloyd- I noticed him because he almost ran into me and killed me out there. He can get open, not sure what the knock on him is. But he caught a couple balls today. Not a bad day for Lloyd.

Jabar Gaffney- He was the second best receiver behind Marshall today. He did really well, caught some impressive balls.

Eddie Royal- Saw Eddie everywhere in camp, he was returning kicks, running the ball on reverses. Lots of things going on for Eddie, he will be a key guy this season since it looks like he is involved in a variety of roles for the team.

Chad Jackson- Needs to cut the dreads, caught one or two balls out there. Not really noticeable out there.

Kenny McKinely- Looked fast out there on the field, he can definitely blow by guys. Caught a few balls. Good first day, hope he improves a lot.

Offensive Line-

Ryan Clady- Looked like a BEAST! I love this guy, he is a monster and is quick. He gave Orton PLENTY of time to throw. Not worried about LT at all.

Ryan Harris- Looked good as well. Although, one of the plays, the line couldn't open a hole for the RB.

Chris Kuper- Looked good, a real road grader. Lock him up.

I didn't focus a lot on the O-line, although I am somewhat worried about our depth there. Simms and Brandstater with their second and third teamers, had gotten sacked a couple times. Again, first time looks great, second and third needs some work.

Defense coming up next...which one of you maners is this?LOL

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/24champbailey/TrainingCamp029.jpg

I need one of those t shirts anyone know where I can find one???? Im out here in KY, if they are selling them in CO ill buy it if someone can send it out my way PLEASE