View Full Version : Kizla article: What Bronco Jersey to Buy

meangene
07-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Kiszla: The best Broncos jersey? Try this
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/31/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 07/31/2009 02:15:45 AM MDT

What will the smartly dressed Broncomaniac be wearing to training camp this summer? The economy is in turmoil. The local NFL team is in transition. If you can scrape together $79.99 for a replica jersey, which Denver player is worth banking on?

Here's a guide for buyers. Spend wisely:

Kyle Orton, No. 8: No, no, no. A thousand times no.

Orton will do just fine as the Broncos' quarterback in 2009. But anyone who thinks he is the long-term solution probably also has the jerseys of Bubby Brister, Brian Griese and Jake Plummer hanging together in a dark corner of the closet.

Investing your heart in any Denver QB is akin to buying a pair of Crocs. It might seem cool at the time, but in a couple of years you're going to look silly.

Brandon Marshall, No. 15: Walk into training camp dressed in orange flip-flops, blue shorts and a Marshall uni at your own risk. Before you pass through the gates, here's betting you get busted by Stacy London from "What Not to Wear."

Listen, if you're a die-hard supporter of the mopey Denver receiver, at least show a little originality by making a protest T-shirt that proclaims: "Free B-Marsh."

And if you must wear No. 15, spend a little extra cash to customize the jersey with a message hinting which direction the Broncos should go in the 2010 draft, by adding this name on the back: "Tebow."

Champ Bailey, No. 24: He's the best player on the team, hands down, so he must be the safe pick.

Don't be so sure.

Should the Broncos suffer through a season of double-digit losses while rebuilding, they would be foolish not to move Bailey before the 31-year-old cornerback gets too old to be a perennial Pro Bowler and loses his trade value.

Knowshon Moreno, No. 27: Has any Broncos draft choice of the past 20 years been destined to receive more critical scrutiny? All Moreno must do is prove that rookie coach Josh McDaniels actually knows what he's doing when it comes to evaluating talent.

Here's thinking Moreno and Ryan Clady will give McDaniels two pieces on offense that are truly built to last.

Terrell Davis, No. 30: Tell you what, if you love Davis, do more than wear a tribute to the one man most responsible for those Super Bowl victories. Write a letter to Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and tell him the time is now to retire TD's number.

Brian Dawkins, No. 20: In the Not For Long, a 35-year-old safety is a shaky investment. On a leaky Denver defense, Dawkins is a patch a strong patch, but a patch. What's more, no matter how well he plays, Dawkins will forever be reminded by grumpy old Broncomaniacs that he is not Steve Atwater or Dennis Smith.

John Elway, No. 7: Now here's a choice that is definitely classy. It's timeless. And it indicates the last new song on the radio you probably liked was Prince's "1999" not to suggest you're hopelessly stuck in the past or anything.

D.J. Williams, No. 55: Williams is a player whose NFL career is at the crossroads of awesome athleticism and unfulfilled potential. And why do I have this nagging fear that wearing No. 55 might haunt a fan about the number of points this Denver defense surrenders against Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts?

Jay Cutler, No. 6: Now here's a jersey available for 29 bucks (or less) in bargain bins everywhere. Just don't wear it anywhere near Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher. He might call you a wimp. Or worse.

Eddie Royal, No. 19: The winner.

No. 19 is humble. He makes plays in the clutch. His work ethic never cheats the fan. He brings honor to the tradition of every Broncos hero from Randy Gradishar to Rod Smith.

Royal is the man who would be king in a new era of success for the Broncos.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't believe I am citing a Kizla article again but... ;D

Broncos_OTM
07-31-2009, 07:41 AM
anyone know where to get a d. smith 49 or a ayers jeresey. ihave never got a jersey.those are two i want or a atwater old school i would appreciate it

atomicbloke
07-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Maybe I should get a Ryan Clady jersey... why is it so hard to get jerseys of non-skill players.....

I had an orange Tom Nalen jersey.... and it served me well :)

watermock
07-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Eddie Royal or Clady.

Goodman's picks.

cousinal11
07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
31 years old and I just got my first Broncos jersey, #7.

If I were to get one of the current regime, it would be Eddie Royal.

Although, a Hillis jersey would be cool, even if his Broncos run is not a long one.

NYC Bronco
07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
http://www.fanzz.com/Travis_Henry_Replica_Jersey_Denver_Broncos_Jerseys _Navy/DPS-44219-44222/d6cc55f2-797b-4bfb-a265-bc0ac0da7901/Travis_Henry_Replica_Jersey_Denver_Broncos_Jerseys _Navy.html

MileHighMagic
07-31-2009, 09:24 AM
My Cutler roadie fit so well... What a gyp. Maybe I can modify it to a Nalen or Tom Rouen. lol

Beantown Bronco
07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
http://www.fanzz.com/Travis_Henry_Replica_Jersey_Denver_Broncos_Jerseys _Navy/DPS-44219-44222/d6cc55f2-797b-4bfb-a265-bc0ac0da7901/Travis_Henry_Replica_Jersey_Denver_Broncos_Jerseys _Navy.html

Whenever the subject of buying a Travis Henry jersey comes up, it always reminds me of one of my favorite Bill Simmons quotes:

Random question on the Travis Henry thing: I thought pot killed sperm cells? How many kids would this guy have sired if he wasn't a fan of the Mary Jane? Twenty? Thirty? And did you ever think the same person could potentially shatter Shawn Kemp's fertility records and Ricky Williams' drug test records? Put it this way: You are making a STRONG statement when you purchase a Henry jersey right now. You're basically saying, "I love pot, I love sex, and your dad would have a heart attack if he knew I was dating you."

Ratboy
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
I just bought an Orange Moreno and Home Royal jersey. I bought them here in Korea, the guy who makes them does an excellent job, not bad for $30 a piece.

Beantown Bronco
07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
I just bought an Orange Moreno and Home Royal jersey. I bought them here in Korea, the guy who makes them does an excellent job, not bad for $30 a piece.

Great. Thanks a lot. My last functioning unintentional comedy measuring device just broke.

broncofan2438
07-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Sewn ons from the guy I posted for $40. Cant beat it and you can get a Royal

BroncoMan4ever
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe I should get a Ryan Clady jersey... why is it so hard to get jerseys of non-skill players.....

because the average fan who buys jerseys only recognize skill position players. think of less informed or non football minded fans, just the average guy or lady who enjoys watching football on sundays. they don't have any idea how good our OL was. there are far fewer of the people who see how important linemen are and how good ours were last season

Broncofan_H
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM
This is why I just went with an alternate orange with #7 on it and my name on the back. Pay tribute to my favorite player, have my last name on it (since I'm not going anywhere-unlike so many so-called "Broncos fans" who do nothing but whine about the team now), and pays tribute to the orange color we should be wearing.

Rabb
07-31-2009, 10:41 AM
I am rocking the Elway throwback today at work, it is all I need for now

missingnumber7
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm getting a Royal 50th Ann throwback...yellow, and I'm gonna rip the Griese's off my 14 jersey's I got cheap and make em Stokely's

Sassy
07-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Sewn ons from the guy I posted for $40. Cant beat it and you can get a Royal

One would think you'd be voting for Rivers...:wiggle:

Sassy
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Go for customizing...

meangene
07-31-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm much more selective after buying a Plummer jersey and customizing a Gerard Warren jersey! Yikes! I would feel comfortable with Royal, Clady, Moreno and Ayers (once they freakin' sign). Alphonso Smith may be a big seller in years to come!

Bob's your Information Minister
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Anyone who spends $80 on a replica is a fool.

Los Broncos
07-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Same here, Clady is the only jersey I would buy.

Los Broncos
07-31-2009, 04:05 PM

kind of like the one in your photo?

Hogan11
07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Go for customizing...

It's really the only way unless you're a collector or you can actually afford to throw out the $$$ every other year after a player moves on. That goes triple if you buy authentics.

Los Broncos
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
It's really the only way unless you're a collector or you can actually afford to throw out the $$$ every other year after a player moves on. That goes triple if you buy authentics.

I even gave away jersey because of my custom, in fact I have to mail one out today!

Kid A
07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Even before reading the article my first thought was Royal. Young, exciting, classy, seems to be a great fit for the McD offense. I know we all were planning big on Jay being here for a long time, but you can sense that if Royal is here for an extended period he'll become a fan favorite on par with Rod Smith.

atomicbloke
07-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Well said!

So how many have you bought so far?

Baba Booey
08-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna go with Moreno and Royal, I think.

Bob's your Information Minister
08-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Well said!

So how many have you bought so far?

You can get a "replithentic" on Ebay for like $30.

I decided to stop buying jerseys, though. They've become overly cliche. I'd rather just wear a nice sweatshirt or a t-shirt.

80smith
08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
You can get a "replithentic" on Ebay for like $30.

I decided to stop buying jerseys, though. They've become overly cliche. I'd rather just wear a nice sweatshirt or a t-shirt.

I like hoodies. I picked up a Broncos last year at the stadium on sale for like $30 or so and wore the **** out of it. For fathers day I got a coopers collection White sox 1981 hoodie and cant wait to wear it. This is all befor McDeeee!

RhymesayersDU
08-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Interesting article, actually.

But I already know who I'm buying, and it's Clady.

Reasons:
1) He's already proven he's good.
2) He'll be here for another 20 years. He'll always get paid, etc.

DBroncos4life
08-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not giving Pat a nickle till he changes his ways.

Circle Orange
08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Why not do a "comp" jersey of all the past qbs? I hear it's the next cool thing.
In skinny numbers...

14 + 16 + 6 + 12 = 7 (or not)

McDenver
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
What about a nice Hillis #22 in orange. Now we're talking; mix a few red splotches on the shoulders to simulate the punishment that ol' Peyton is going to dish out.

Hogan11
08-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Make up your own and pay one price from now till whenever.....the Broncos merch dept. will hate you for it, but you'll save big $$$ in the long run. Mine has already paid for irself and then some.