PDA

View Full Version : NFL & Broncos get blindsided by the Raiders - Knowshon deal still not close

Hulamau
07-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Time for Al Davis to give up the ghost for the good of the league! Giving Heyward-Bey a blockbuster deal sends shock waves through the rest of the NFL front offices and throws a monkey wrench into other first round deals.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12954933

Broncos, Moreno are far apart in talks as camp kicks off
Ayers, another first-round selection, also is unsigned, making the tandem the team's first rookie holdouts since 2004.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Call him fast. Call him talented. Call him soon-to-be wealthy.

And beginning today, people can call him No-Show Moreno.

The Broncos will open training camp today without their No. 1 draft pick, Knowshon Moreno. The team and its rookie running back are so far apart in contract negotiations, Moreno will wake up today in his college home state of Georgia.

The Broncos are further along in negotiations with their second first-round choice, outside linebacker Robert Ayers. Still, the two sides would have had to work through Thursday night to keep Ayers from joining Moreno as the Broncos' first rookie holdouts since 2004.

"I want to be there, but it's part of the business," Ayers said Thursday. "About all I can say is both sides are working hard to try to get everything done, but . . . I don't have any predictions."

Meanwhile, 78 other Broncos players will brace for the two-a-day opening of training camp at the team's Dove Valley practice facility, where the goal, besides making it to Saturday, is to secure a spot on the season- opening, 53-man roster.

This year, the Broncos are going old school. They will arrive early — the first workout session today starts at 8:45 a.m. And they will leave late — their second practice is scheduled to end at 7:30 p.m.

New coach Josh McDaniels said this schedule allows for a meeting before every practice while keeping the players away from the hot, midday sun and fresh with the occasional nonpractice.

During his time as Bill Belichick's top offensive assistant in New England, McDaniels also came to like this schedule better than others because "it gave me more teaching time."

McDaniels is attempting to bring some of the rugged East Coast style to the Rocky Mountains.

"If that's what you want your identity to be, then you've got to go out and do it," McDaniels said. "It's not just going to show up in September if you haven't done it.

"We're going to practice the way we feel we need to practice in order to establish the style of play that we want to win with this year. That's going to be a physical style on both sides of the ball. It's hard to practice that way when you're not in pads. Right off the bat, we're going to try to get after it."

Not Moreno. Until he signs, he can't participate. The first running back taken in the 2009 draft and 12th player overall, Moreno is represented by the agency headed by Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, who just negotiated a five-year, $38.25 million contract with a $23.5 million guarantee for No. 7 pick Darrius Heyward-Bey with the Raiders.

The deal staggered the industry, as those numbers represented a 20 percent increase from what the previous year's No. 7 pick — Sedrick Ellis — received.

Still another reason for the Broncos to hate the Raiders. The Broncos were hoping to sign Moreno to a five-year contract at an 8 percent to 10 percent increase from the $11.415 million guarantee they gave left tackle Ryan Clady last year as the No. 12 pick.

An 8 percent increase would put Moreno's guarantee at $12.3 million. The 20 percent increase sought by Condon-Dogra would lift Moreno's guarantee to $13.7 million.

A gap that large suggests Knowshon may be a No-Show beyond today.

footstepsfrom#27
07-31-2009, 01:49 AM
An 8 percent increase would put Moreno's guarantee at $12.3 million. The 20 percent increase sought by Condon-Dogra would lift Moreno's guarantee to $13.7 million.

A gap that large suggests Knowshon may be a No-Show beyond today.
Cripes we spent that for a new long snapper. Just sign him.

watermock
07-31-2009, 03:35 AM
The Circus never ends at Dove valley.

KevinJames
07-31-2009, 03:39 AM
The Circus never ends at Dove valley.

idiotic statements from you seem to never end either.....

were not the only team who haven't signed our first rounders.:thumbsup:

Taco John
07-31-2009, 03:48 AM

It's funny because it's true. All things considered though, I'm hoping this give Hillis more time to show his stuff.

watermock
07-31-2009, 03:52 AM

But we needed that lockeroom leadership!

Traveler
07-31-2009, 04:00 AM
This should help speed up the negotiation with Ayers. With Washington signing Orakpo, Moreno shouldn't be far behind in signing, unless of course the contract the frickin Faiders gave to Heyward-Bey holds things up.

Josh Freeman-QB-Buccaneers Jul. 30 - 11:58 pm et

The Bucs have reportedly agreed to terms with Josh Freeman, the No. 17 overall pick, on a five-year, $26 million contract, including $10.245 million in guarantees.

ESPN's John Clayton reports the deal could balloon to as much as $36 million. Freeman's pre-camp signing ostensibly gives him a chance to compete with Luke McCown and Byron Leftwich for the starting job, but we expect him to fall in line behind the two veterans. Freeman was arguably the least NFL-ready QB drafted on day one, and Bucs GM Mark Dominik wants him to watch and learn.
Source: ESPN.com

watermock
07-31-2009, 04:02 AM
idiotic statements from you seem to never end either.....

were not the only team who haven't signed our first rounders.:thumbsup:

Yes, But the fact remains. So what.

At least he's not Champ, getting 14M and PUP.

Cable TV has ben a cash cow.NFL network as well.

Do you realize we aare paying this at all?

The era of idiots being heros is ending.

ZONA
07-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Al Davis is such a d-bag. Yeah, let's just start giving players 20% increases every year. You know that trickles down the fan in ticket and concession prices. Meanwhile, the rest of the real world continues to cut workers wages. I've heard of 10% across the board for a few places where friends work and yet these guys are wanting increases of 20%? The business side of it huh? Well, there won't be any business side of it soon because the fan is going to be priced out of football at this rate. Leave it up to Al to screw things up. He's such an A-hole. I hope Darius flops on him and turns out to be a POS player.

watermock
07-31-2009, 04:06 AM
Remind me again why we traded a probowl QB making 600K.

watermock
07-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Remember? NFL games will ALWAYS be publicly broadcast.

watermock
07-31-2009, 04:14 AM
In 85 I could get a burrito and tickets for 30 bucks 4 2. For the S stands.

8 dollar beer, 6 dollar dogs.

Used to park for 5 bucks.

Stadiums used to be named for owners, not soft drinks.

meangene
07-31-2009, 04:36 AM
Hayward-Bey's deal is just a fluke because the Raiders are idiots. A number of other first-rounders signed yesterday so the real slotting should now begin. I expect them both signed by Monday. Moreno has to realize there is a lot of competition at running back.

UberBroncoMan
07-31-2009, 05:48 AM
Hayward-Bey's deal is just a fluke because the Raiders are idiots. A number of other first-rounders signed yesterday so the real slotting should now begin. I expect them both signed by Monday. Moreno has to realize there is a lot of competition at running back.

Problem is the firm that represents 8 of the top 10 picks also represents Moreno (not to mention Bey)... the agency is going to milk all the teams for all they can due to the position the agency is in.

meangene
07-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Problem is the firm that represents 8 of the top 10 picks also represents Moreno (not to mention Bey)... the agency is going to milk all the teams for all they can due to the position the agency is in.

Of course, that is their job. But, as the others sign, the realistic slotting begins. And Moreno was picked outside the top 10 which is key. Thing is I think he really wants to be in camp and knows he is in a fight for playing time. Bet his is signed in the next couple days.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-31-2009, 06:41 AM
What the **** is Mock talking about?

_Oro_
07-31-2009, 06:50 AM

I don't know why but I really like this line. Although, now I feel a little bit dirty.

DeuceOfClub
07-31-2009, 06:51 AM
The Raiders must provide Garcia with a target. (Even a lame one as DHB)

(Dough Hands Bust)

_Oro_
07-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Al Davis is such a d-bag. Yeah, let's just start giving players 20% increases every year. You know that trickles down the fan in ticket and concession prices. Meanwhile, the rest of the real world continues to cut workers wages. I've heard of 10% across the board for a few places where friends work and yet these guys are wanting increases of 20%? The business side of it huh? Well, there won't be any business side of it soon because the fan is going to be priced out of football at this rate. Leave it up to Al to screw things up. He's such an A-hole. I hope Darius flops on him and turns out to be a POS player.

Is there any doubt? He's a sure fire bust.

oubronco
07-31-2009, 06:54 AM

exactly :~ohyah!:

TonyR
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
It's funny because it's true.

Not even remotely true unless I'm missing the joke. Paxton is making $5.3 over 5 years. That's just a little different than the comp Moreno is going to pull.

lex
07-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Bowlen is probably contemplating an Al Davis voo doo doll. On one hand you have Pat Bowlen who constantly complains about the economics of the NFL and then on the other end of the spectrum, you have Al Davis driving up the salaries. Very cagey by Al if thats what he is trying to do. Maybe Al doesnt care about the product on the field as much as he cares about pricing other owners out of the game.

BroncoMan4ever
07-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Remind me again why we traded a probowl QB making 600K.

because he was sad about his feelings being hurt, and he bitched to the media and cut off communication with the team like a little girl.

scorpio
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Yes, But the fact remains. So what.

At least he's not Champ, getting 14M and PUP.

Cable TV has ben a cash cow.NFL network as well.

Do you realize we aare paying this at all?

http://imgur.com/hPoaW.gif

lex
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
because he was sad about his feelings being hurt, and he b****ed to the media and cut off communication with the team like a little girl.

He never said that.

Inkana7
07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
In 85 I could get a burrito and tickets for 30 bucks 4 2. For the S stands.

8 dollar beer, 6 dollar dogs.

Used to park for 5 bucks.

Stadiums used to be named for owners, not soft drinks.

What the hell?