PDA

View Full Version : OT - Back exercises?

broncosteven
07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Anyone know of any good back exercises to strengthen and stretch out ones lower back?

I will consider any kind of stretching/yoga/movement Tai-ci/resistance/weight training that has helped you or others you know.

I don't know where to start. PT just wants to "shake and bake", heat pad and electric stimulation. That costs $ and I have both at home.

tsiguy96
07-30-2009, 08:15 PM
are you looking to stretch or to strengthen?

for strengthening, deadlifts (if you have some back pain, start doing them out of a rack) and hyperextensions are all youll need. you need to have a completely balanced program though or youll create imbalances creating more deferred pain..

scorpio
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Anyone know of any good back exercises to strengthen and stretch out ones lower back?

I will consider any kind of stretching/yoga/movement Tai-ci/resistance/weight training that has helped you or others you know.

I don't know where to start. PT just wants to "shake and bake", heat pad and electric stimulation. That costs $ and I have both at home.

A big contributer to low back pain is tightness in your glutes and hamstrings. If you sit in a chair most of the day this is almost certainly the case.

Read this article, then buy and learn how to use a foam roller and combine it with stretching 3-4 times a week:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

I don't know how much you are into weights, but squats and stiff legged deadlifts will do wonders for your glutes, hamstrings, and low back muscles. Even using dumbbells at home would have some therapeutic value.

broncosteven
07-30-2009, 08:25 PM
are you looking to stretch or to strengthen?

for strengthening, deadlifts (if you have some back pain, start doing them out of a rack) and hyperextensions are all youll need. you need to have a completely balanced program though or youll create imbalances creating more deferred pain..

I cannot lift due to issues with nerve damage and rotator cuff/shoulder probs.

Hoping there were alternates to lifting to strenghten it with, I am looking for things I can do without having to pay to go a bunch of med and or alternative med solutions.

I checked out a Tai-Chi DVD from library today but thought I would see what has worked for others.

Without going into too much detail I am looking for ways to keep from falling apart.

broncosteven
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
A big contributer to low back pain is tightness in your glutes and hamstrings. If you sit in a chair most of the day this is almost certainly the case.

Read this article, then buy and learn how to use a foam roller and combine it with stretching 3-4 times a week:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

I don't know how much you are into weights, but squats and stiff legged deadlifts will do wonders for your glutes, hamstrings, and low back muscles. Even using dumbbells at home would have some therapeutic value.

This is the type of stuff I am looking for except I can't put any weight on my shoulder.

I need some sort of low impact(?) thingy.

It is funny but my hamstrings do feel like they are next to go.

It all started with a trauma up high in my neck and is working it's way down.

tsiguy96
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
This is the type of stuff I am looking for except I can't put any weight on my shoulder.

I need some sort of low impact(?) thingy.

It is funny but my hamstrings do feel like they are next to go.

It all started with a trauma up high in my neck and is working it's way down.

foam rolling is AWESOME. i highly recommend and its cheap (20-30 bucks for a foam roller from dicks. get a pvc pipe but its gonna hurt. bad.) look into yoga, its tough stuff. its very low impact and will leave you extremely sore. in your case, you dont need strength you need increase range of motion/flexibility to decrease those concentrated areas of pain.

Boobs McGee
07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
don't know how high up off the ground your bed is, BUT, you can try this.

Lay stomach down on your bed, with your waist on the edge. So imagine you're basically forming an L with your body, with your legs on the bed and your waist the hinge, then your stomach chest and face against the front of your bed.

Does that kinda make sense?

Have your wife hold your legs (either by putting her legs on yours, sitting on them, or just using her hands to hold them down), then work on slowly raising yourself up to a completely horizontal position. Go slow :thumbs:

broncosteven
07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
foam rolling is AWESOME. i highly recommend and its cheap (20-30 bucks for a foam roller from *****. get a pvc pipe but its gonna hurt. bad.) look into yoga, its tough stuff. its very low impact and will leave you extremely sore. in your case, you dont need strength you need increase range of motion/flexibility to decrease those concentrated areas of pain.

Thanks for the info.

I have an email out to a old acquaintance who was big into Yoga around here. I figured I would have to get private lessons as I would hold up a class bitching an moaning.

I was googling but it is hard to find out what actually worked for others that way.

Boobs McGee
07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
and p.s. the foam rolling is awesome, doctor had me using a yoga ball for the rolling stretches as well though. And you can do a LOT of excersises with the ball

broncosteven
07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
don't know how high up off the ground your bed is, BUT, you can try this.

Lay stomach down on your bed, with your waist on the edge. So imagine you're basically forming an L with your body, with your legs on the bed and your waist the hinge, then your stomach chest and face against the front of your bed.

Does that kinda make sense?

Have your wife hold your legs (either by putting her legs on yours, sitting on them, or just using her hands to hold them down), then work on slowly raising yourself up to a completely horizontal position. Go slow :thumbs:

Excellent!

It is pretty highup.

I am having the most trouble twisting or raising my upper body up while on my side, moving pillows at night or turning off alarm in the morning.

Thanks I will give that a try.

Mr. Elway
07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
If I were you I would find a good doctor who can help you form a plan. Don't get me wrong - foam rollers and exercise balls and yoga and all of that stuff are great - but if you don't know what your condition is you could easily make it worse with any one of those activities. First step is to find out what is wrong, then figure out what your options are. A little PT for some tight muscles might be all you need, then again you could have something more serious.

broncosteven
07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
If I were you I would find a good doctor who can help you form a plan. Don't get me wrong - foam rollers and exercise balls and yoga and all of that stuff are great - but if you don't know what your condition is you could easily make it worse with any one of those activities. First step is to find out what is wrong, then figure out what your options are. A little PT for some tight muscles might be all you need, then again you could have something more serious.

I am bouncing between Ortho(multiple)/Primary Care/PT/etc.. docs & therapists.

I am frustrated and looking for more options, feel like they are trying to milk out the $ from insurance at the same time I feel I am limited by my insurance.

We need a new HC system but that is not where I want this thread to go.

If anyone can post what works for them I would be greatful.

Mr. Elway
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I am bouncing between Ortho(multiple)/Primary Care/PT/etc.. docs & therapists.

I am frustrated and looking for more options, feel like they are trying to milk out the $ from insurance at the same time I feel I am limited by my insurance.

We need a new HC system but that is not where I want this thread to go.

If anyone can post what works for them I would be greatful.

I hear ya. I didn't pick up that you'd already sought out professional medical advice. I've felt the same frustration. Not sure what else I can add except that finding the right doctor and sticking with him/her is key. I wish you well man.

Popps
07-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Steven....

I had major lower back probs in my early 20s, and even some around 11 years old because of a minor accident.

Abdominal work helped me out a lot. I basically have managed to play all sports/work out since my 20s by keeping a regular dose of ab-training (core) in my routine. It takes a ton of pressure off of your lower back.

Also, keeping weight down... Yoga, and I ice after every single sporting activity. (Like hoops, tennis, etc.)

Good luck. Back pain can really be a bummer. Hope you feel better.

meangene
07-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Pilates is perfect for what you need. Low impact, great stretching and strengthening without weights. I was amazed how it made me aware of my posture and breathing. I would take some of the group mat classes to get the basics and form down, although you can buy videos if you don't want to pay for the classes. A side benefit - mostly women in the classes and many are hot-bodied and lean.

_Oro_
07-31-2009, 06:58 AM

Find a good yoga class. Preferably heated in the beginning. Make sure it's a class because the videos almost never work. Too hard to motivate ones self to hold the poses long enough, not to mention do the correctly. Once you start, even after the first class, you'll find not just your lower back but all sorts of pains and aches will go away.

alkemical
07-31-2009, 07:07 AM

When it comes to your back, consult someone who is a professional. What works for someone else, could result in injury for you.

Beantown Bronco
07-31-2009, 07:44 AM
My back gets plenty of exercise carrying my office softball team.

Mediator12
07-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Steven,

You need to get functionally Flexible. Not just your lower back, but your lower back can inhibit the rest of your body from relaxing. You need to get an entire stretching program and build up your core muscle group. You do not have to have washboard abs, but strengthening your core will also provide proper support for your lower back.

My recommendation would be to find a personal trainer who understands WHAT functional flexibility is and have them design a program you can do Forever. It is a small expenditure up front, but it will pay off as you make it happen. It will hurt a lot for a week or so depending on your pain tolerance and how inflexible you already are, but it will start paying dividends by two weeks if you do the program.

The key is having someone design it for you where you are flexible right now, and where you need to be. If the guy has no idea what functional flexibility is, then he is not the right guy to do your program.

As for Yoga, foam rolling, balls etc. They are tools to functional flexibility. A good program will have diversity and balance. It will not be just one thing, but several activities that will create the desired effect of having pain relief and range of motion everywhere.

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-31-2009, 08:01 AM

I remember that feeling! I'm guessing I WASTED about $2000-3000 on people "fixing" my lower back, before I found a guy who actually fixed it, by giving me 3 stretches to do.
Some days I struggled to walk, but I still made it to work every day. I still have minor relapses with my back about every year or so, but all I do is go back to those stretches and within a day it's all good again!

In my case, pain was on my right side so everyone worked on that side, the guy who finally fixed it said the "issue" was actually on the other side.

My advice: like someone said earlier STRETCH YOUR LEGS - tension will build and travel around your body, if you can get some of the tension out of your back by stretching in your hamstrings, it will help.
Good practitioners are hard to find: Ask people you know if there's anyone they recommend, and go from there. A good chiro/osteo/physio will be almost "insane" about your technique, and will critique you when they show you stretching techniques! ;)
No two situations are the same: weight, physical state, injury - so many variables with your back, that what worked for everyone else on this site is unlikely to work for you!

bronco_diesel
07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
don't know if it has been mentioned, but try the prone cobra.

http://www.sissel-online.com/exercise/prone_cobra_on_exercise_mat.php

this is excellent for the lower back and glutes.

bronco_diesel
07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
if you are serious about body weight excercises, you might want to consider a TRX. i have one as a supplemental workout when i cannot hit the weights. it is awesome.

you can determine your own resistence level and increase or decrease. everything is body weight - and there are several excercises you can pick from. this is also ideal for your core.

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

bronco_diesel
07-31-2009, 08:49 AM

that's awesome!

MVP-06
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.slosberg.com/

The core stabilization handout has the best low impact exercises for chronic low back pain. They are what I recommend for my patients.

Rigs11
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
pullups?

ton80
07-31-2009, 11:04 AM
To keep the pain out of my lower back and right leg I do constant maintenance throughout each day. For my condition, stretching is more important than strength.

My routine consists of doing the following exercise 50 reps 3 times a day:

Stand straight, tuck your chin, then touch your toes, then reach behind you with your hands on your SI joint supporting your lower back and lean back.

Another good one is the camel/cat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXRsjICsGnc take a look at the link for a demo.

If your SI joint is slipping, read the following to learn how to self-correct it.

http://www.kalindra.com/rounds.pdf

If you notice immediate pain relief after doing the previous corrections, you likely have strained ligaments in your back and need prolotherapy.

The long and short posterior sacro-iliac ligaments in my back were severly strained causing me all kinds of pain for over 16 years. I flew from Anchorage AK to Seattle WA 10 times for 10 injections to see Dr. Thomas Dorman at the Paracelsus Clinic. Now I live relatively pain free if I do the constant maintenance on my back.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

cutthemdown
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I think getting a pool with a floaty board, and kicking back and forth until you cant do it anymore great for the back muscles and leg muscles. Plus it works things evenly.

Then again I am out of shape!!!

broncosteven
07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Steven,

You need to get functionally Flexible. Not just your lower back, but your lower back can inhibit the rest of your body from relaxing. You need to get an entire stretching program and build up your core muscle group. You do not have to have washboard abs, but strengthening your core will also provide proper support for your lower back.

My recommendation would be to find a personal trainer who understands WHAT functional flexibility is and have them design a program you can do Forever. It is a small expenditure up front, but it will pay off as you make it happen. It will hurt a lot for a week or so depending on your pain tolerance and how inflexible you already are, but it will start paying dividends by two weeks if you do the program.

The key is having someone design it for you where you are flexible right now, and where you need to be. If the guy has no idea what functional flexibility is, then he is not the right guy to do your program.

As for Yoga, foam rolling, balls etc. They are tools to functional flexibility. A good program will have diversity and balance. It will not be just one thing, but several activities that will create the desired effect of having pain relief and range of motion everywhere.

Thanks Med,

I have spent so much on Co-pays and procedures I want to keep the cost down but I have to do something.

Dropping the Functional Flexibilty bomb should help me weed out the posers that I can't afford to waste time and $ on.

Thanks for the help!

broncosteven
07-31-2009, 11:27 AM

I remember when I used to do that...

Playing softball is one thing I miss but it is way harder not to pickup my 18 month old son.

ton80
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I highly recommend visiting the following website:

http://www.kalindra.com/rounds.pdf

By trying the correction techniques shown on this website you can IMMEDIATELY eliminate strained ligaments as the cause of your back pain. If you experience IMMEDIATE pain relief, you will know that you have ligament damage in your back and the solution to that problem is prolotherapy.

Most doctors were taught in medical school that the long and short posterior sacroiliiac ligaments and other ligaments in the lower back are bullet-proof and not the underlying cause of back pain. These ligaments are not bullet-proof and if they are damaged your pelvis will be "cocked" (misaligned). If you pelvis is misaligned, by extension (common sense) your spine will be cocked. If your spine is cocked, discs are being squished causing all kinds of pain.

Do it. Go to the website and try the techniques. It sounds like you have
nothing to lose and it will cost you nothing.

ton80
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
If you choose to try the corrections, realize that there is technique to doing them correctly. Overdo the repetitions and try different techniques until you find the one that works for you. Realize though that if the techniques work for you, they will only provide you temporary pain relief. The relief is only temporary because the ligaments are strained and cannot hold the correction. To get permanent relief you will need prolotherapy.

Read up on sacroiliac joint dysfunction (SIJD).