PDA

View Full Version : This camp reminds me of 77

titan
07-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I started a new blog this week http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/ and here's a copy of my first post:

As a denver broncos season ticket holder since 1968 I am having a strange sense of deja vu as the Broncos open training camp this week.

This 2009 Broncos season reminds me of the atmosphere just before the miracle 1977 season.

Consider in 1977 the Broncos:

fired their most successful head coach in team history (John Ralston)
hired the New England Patriots offensive coordinator as new coach (Red Miller)
were blown out in a late season game the year before to miss the playoffs (38-14 loss to new england in week 12)
entered the season with an imbalance - great defense, bad offense
entered the season with a new veteran starting quarterback acquired by trade (Craig Morton)

Fast forward to 2009, the Broncos:

fired their most successful head coach in team history (Mike Shanahan)
hired the New England Patriots offensive coordinator as new coach (Josh McDaniels)
were blown out in a late season game the year before to miss the playoffs (52-21 loss to san diego in week 17)
entered the season with an imbalance - great offense, bad defense
entered the season with a new veteran starting quarterback acquired by trade (Kyle Orton)

Both the 1977 edition and the 2009 edition of the Broncos had very difficult schedules.

1977:

St. Louis Cardinals 10 wins 4 losses in 1976
Buffalo Bills 2 wins 12 losses in 1976
@Seattle Seahawks 2 wins 12 losses in 1976
Kansas City Chiefs 5 wins 9 losses in 1976
@Oakland Raiders 13 wins 1 loss in 1976
@Cincinnati Bengals 10 wins 4 losses in 1976
Oakland Raiders 13 wins 1 loss in 1976
Pittsburgh Steelers 10 wins 4 losses in 1976
@San Diego Chargers 6 wins 8 losses in 1976
@Kansas City Chiefs 5 wins 9 losses in 1976
Baltimore Colts 11 wins 3 losses in 1976
@Houston Oilers 5 wins 9 losses in 1976
San Diego Chargers 6 wins 8 losses in 1976
@Dallas Cowboys 11 wins 3 losses in 1976

2009:
@Cincinnati 4 wins 11 losses 1 tie in 2008
Cleveland 4 wins 12 losses in 2008
@Oakland 5 wins 11 losses in 2008
Dallas 9 wins 7 losses in 2008
New England 11 wins 5 losses in 2008
@San Diego 8 wins 8 losses in 2008
@Baltimore 11 wins 5 losses in 2008
Pittsburgh 12 wins 4 losses in 2008
@Washington 8 wins 8 losses in 2008
San Diego 8 wins 8 losses in 2008
NY Giants 12 wins 4 losses in 2008
@Kansas City 2 wins 14 losses in 2008
@Indianapolis 12 wins 4 losses in 2008
Oakland 5 wins 11 losses in 2008
@Philadelphia 9 wins 6 losses 1 tie in 2008
Kansas City 2 wins 14 losses in 2008

Outside of the AFC West the Broncos faced five teams with 10 wins or more the previous season in 1977 and will face 5 teams with 10 wins or more the prior season outside the AFC West in 2009. Yes, in 1977 there was only a 14 game schedule, but the Broncos 2009 16 game schedule is comparable considering the 2009 team will also be playing two 9 win teams (Dallas and Philly) outside the division.

The 1977 Broncos had to rebuild a shaky offense. They had 3 new starters in the offensive line to start the season (Mike Montler center, Andy Mauer left tackle, Paul Howard right guard - howard had missed the 76 season with injury). The schedule started with a difficult but winnable game - against the 10-4 Cardinals at Mile High, followed by 3 games against weaker teams before the schedule got much tougher. The 77 team team struggled in the opener but had just enough to beat the Cardinals 7-0. Three wins against inferior teams put the Broncos at 4-0 heading into Oakland in week 5. That week 5 game was one of the best in Broncos history, a stunning 30-7 Denver win over the hated Raiders. Suddenly the Broncos were 5-0, with a win against the NFL's defending Super Bowl champion. The team's confidence grew game by game and they finished with a remarkable 12-2 record.

Just like thier 1977 counterparts, I think if the 2009 Broncos can get off to a good start in the soft early part of their schedule they can surprise. The 2009 Broncos have to rebuild a shaky defense and it's going to take a few games to get that unit performing at an acceptable level. The Cincinnati opener is going to be difficult but winnable (just like the 77 opener against the Cardinals) followed by two easier games (Cleveland, Oakland) before the schedule gets really tough.

No one predicted the 1977 Broncos would have a winning record, much less a Super Bowl season. "Red Miller's going to need at least a year to get his system in place", "No way the Broncos make the playoffs with that schedule", was heard around town.

I'm hearing the same barbs about Josh McDaniels and the 2009 Broncos. This long time fan has hope for 2009. I hear McDaniels saying the Broncos were too much of a finesse team last season, and he plans to implement a more physical, hard nosed style of play. Red Miller implemented a similar change in team chemistry in 1977.

Can history repeat itself? The patched up 77 Bronco offense started shaky but by December scored 34 points in a playoff win against one of the best defenses of the decade (Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain). Maybe a shaky 2009 Denver defense will gel as the season progresses, just like that '77 offense. Even with a new quarterback the 2009 Denver offense will be fine. I expect lots of points scored with the addition of rookie rb Knowshon Moreno to an already impressive set of skill players and a solid offensive line. While I don't anticipate the 2009 Broncos to reach the Super Bowl, I think it's far too early to write off the season. Just remember what happened in 77!

=====

You can also follow me on twitter at: http://twitter.com/sportsindenver

dbfan21
07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Pretty cool how the two teams mirror each other heading into their respective seasons (77 & 09). Great article/nice post!! :thumbs:

Lev Vyvanse
07-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Great post but to make the two teams a mirror image we would have to of traded Randy Gradishar.

Anaximines
07-30-2009, 09:20 AM
wow! excellent observations

OABB
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
well, the fans weren't spoiled whiney pansies back than, so it is a bit different.

Rohirrim
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
I applaud all the work that went into that post. If only things worked like this. I'll have to dig my 1977 orange afro out of that trunk in the basement. ;D

tsiguy96
07-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Great post but to make the two teams a mirror image we would have to of traded Randy Gradishar.

:spit:

comparing jay cutler and randy gradishar. even teh effect they on the field was no where near comparable.

Lev Vyvanse
07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
:spit:

comparing jay cutler and randy gradishar. even teh effect they on the field was no where near comparable.

Yea I felt dirty writing it but is was as close a comparison as I could think of.

worm
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Great post....but 1977 was magic for a reason. They over came a ton of obstacles...and it rarely comes together like it did that year.

Do you really expect lightning to strike twice to a team just because you found some similarities in the extreme challenges they face entering the season?

However, I agree. A fast start is the most important thing for this team. Start well and the season could snowball. In a good way.

JCMElway
07-30-2009, 09:45 AM

Do not compare that pansy Cutler to the greatness and toughness that was Gradishar. You should be ashamed.

worm
07-30-2009, 09:46 AM
A couple of key differences that makes this a team facing even greater challenges than the '77 squad entering the season:

A championship level D in '76 > good O '08
Craig Morton '76 > Kyle Orton '08
Mile High Magic '76 > Invesco Magic '08

TailgateNut
07-30-2009, 09:49 AM
well, the fans weren't spoiled whiney pansies back than, so it is a bit different.

A-F-ing-men!

PS: don't let the Jay nuthuggers see this thread.

TailgateNut
07-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I applaud all the work that went into that post. If only things worked like this. I'll have to dig my 1977 orange afro out of that trunk in the basement. ;D

...and I'll get my "old D" garb out. It wont fit anymore, but WTH.

worm
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
...and I'll get my "old D" garb out. It wont fit anymore, but WTH.

Would the D be stretched out to an O?

broncofan2438
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
That is pretty wild the way the two teams match up. I wasnt around in '77, but Im excited for the '09 season non the less

Broncos123
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Great observations, I hope happens but feel it would be better to have the imbalance in the defences favour. It sounds/feels like the atmosphere at Broncos headquarters is very positive.

Lev Vyvanse
07-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Do not compare that pansy Cutler to the greatness and toughness that was Gradishar. You should be ashamed.

I am very ashamed.

521 1N5
07-30-2009, 10:05 AM
huge

ghwk
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
A couple of key differences that makes this a team facing even greater challenges than the '77 squad entering the season:

A championship level D in '76 > good O '08

Talk about a buzz kill!

titan
07-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I admit 2009 isn't EXACTLY like 1977 but I was struck by some of the similarities anyway. I remember in 1977 going to a preseason game with my brother and Craig Morton looked absolutely awful - an immobile quarterback behind a shaky offensive line. "It's going to be a long season," my brother said.

The 1977 team had the advantage of a soft early schedule where the defense carried the offense a few games. I'm hoping the 2009 offense, even with the changes, can carry the defense until the tougher part of the schedule.

I saw the 2008 Bronco highlight film a few weeks back with shots of McDaniels getting into it with the defensive backfield in the OTAs - stiff arming a receiver to show a db the proper technique. It reminded me of Red Miller getting into it with the 1977 offensive line (acting as a dlineman rushing Claudie Minor). So far I like McDaniels hands on approach and his intent to make the team more physical (just like Miller in 77)

Flex Gunmetal
07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Very interesting post.

Gradishar=Porsche 911
Cutler=Dodge SRT4

2KBack
07-30-2009, 10:19 AM

You can't possibly be referring to the 9 TD vs 20 INT Craig Morton '76 can you?

Mr. Elway
07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Great post. Sure, it's unlikely to happen again but it just goes to show you that it can. Personally I think it's a lot more fun to be a fan who believes in the team, even if that means erring on the side of foolishness or naivete, rather than a fan who predicts failure and bitches about everything that's wrong with the Broncos.

IF we do well this season, I don't want to be grudgingly pleased about it, I want to be stoked!!

worm
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I admit 2009 isn't EXACTLY like 1977 but I was struck by some of the similarities anyway. I remember in 1977 going to a preseason game with my brother and Craig Morton looked absolutely awful - an immobile quarterback behind a shaky offensive line. "It's going to be a long season," my brother said.

The 1977 team had the advantage of a soft early schedule where the defense carried the offense a few games. I'm hoping the 2009 offense, even with the changes, can carry the defense until the tougher part of the schedule.

I saw the 2008 Bronco highlight film a few weeks back with shots of McDaniels getting into it with the defensive backfield in the OTAs - stiff arming a receiver to show a db the proper technique. It reminded me of Red Miller getting into it with the 1977 offensive line (acting as a dlineman rushing Claudie Minor). So far I like McDaniels hands on approach and his intent to make the team more physical (just like Miller in 77)

It was a great, well thought out post. Something that is lacking these days on the Mane from the cut, paste and bold a Florio article crowd.

Even thinking about that '77 team and that season makes me happy.

worm
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
You can't possibly be referring to the 9 TD vs 20 INT Craig Morton '76 can you?

Ouch.

Um. It wasn't his fault. It was that horrible Giant O he was on! :clown:

2KBack
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Ouch.

Um. It wasn't his fault. It was that horrible Giant O he was on! :clown:

I tell you what, I was a bit shocked by those numbers as well. I wasn't old enough to experience the reaction to the trade for Morton. I wonder if there was excitement about that acquisition.

worm
07-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I tell you what, I was a bit shocked by those numbers as well. I wasn't old enough to experience the reaction to the trade for Morton. I wonder if there was excitement about that acquisition.

I was very young as well. I remember the '77 season, the excitement and the actual games. We use to replay each game as close to play-by-play as we could from memory outside after the game. A tivo would sure have been handy back then.

I don't remember the feeling around the acquisitions of players and coaches and what the general vibe in Boulder was about them going into the '77 season.

Popps
07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Titan, awesome job!

That was a lot of fun to read, and I think you're dead-on with a lot of it.

Great thread.

ScottXray
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I was very young as well. I remember the '77 season, the excitement and the actual games. We use to replay each game as close to play-by-play as we could from memory outside after the game. A tivo would sure have been handy back then.

I don't remember the feeling around the acquisitions of players and coaches and what the general vibe in Boulder was about them going into the '77 season.

I was about 28 then and was doing some math to predict point spreads back then. Every week I would put out a line and use it to predict games in a Football contest the Post was running. I also posted it at my work . Five people in my office won it that year, including me (the prize was a weekend getaway at a Marriott hotel in aurora along with dinner and $50 cash.) There was only one winner, so that meant that 5 out of 14 were in my small office.
My spread usually only missed two to 3 games outright winners (which is all that was required to win, plus the spread in the Denver game.)

Prior to the season I predicted the broncos would go 11-3 and win the wild card ( I thought the raiders would win the division with an identical 11-3 record).

I don't recall that I was so stoked about Morton, but I thought that the Offense would be better than 76, and I was stoked about Moses. Mainly I was stoked about the defense, which I thought was the best in the league that year.

For the superbowl I had the game as pickem, but said that turnovers would be the key, and that if either team got a ten point lead it was over. I still think that if we would've recovered the fumble that Dallas made on that kickoff in the first quarter, Denver would have won that game.

broncocalijohn
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
ScottXRAY,
my Dad was winning big time betting for most of the 77 season. He knew what Denver had become and liked the Broncos chances with the new QB Morton. As for me, I was just 7 years old and first year to football so #7 Morton was my first hero. My pops made some great extra cash the beginning of the year as we surprised everyone with that season. With Titan's mirror comparison, I cant believe no one has made the ultimate prediction.......

CoopDawg
07-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the insight, great post!

broncosteven
08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
this is a reach but both teams aquired a Patriots (or one time Patsy) Olineman/LS

77:

Mike Montler

Lonnie Paxton

RhymesayersDU
08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
What a fantastic post.

I was going to post something like this but forgot. Now granted, I wasn't around in '77, but as I got to thinking about this offseason, I started to wonder if this was one of those things that I would remember forever. One of those big sweeping change type things that would be talked about 20 years from now when they release another "History of the Broncos" DVD or something.

Again, I wasn't around back in the day, I'm only 25. But I've read about the issues, almost moving, etc. I was curious if the older Bronco fans out there could comment on what the atmosphere is like now compared to other "big moments" in Bronco history.

Good stuff, great read.

Jagrego
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Great work.

Craig Morton......Kyle Orton.
mORTON....ORTON.

Kinda' creepy.

tsiguy96
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
What a fantastic post.

I was going to post something like this but forgot. Now granted, I wasn't around in '77, but as I got to thinking about this offseason, I started to wonder if this was one of those things that I would remember forever. One of those big sweeping change type things that would be talked about 20 years from now when they release another "History of the Broncos" DVD or something.

Again, I wasn't around back in the day, I'm only 25. But I've read about the issues, almost moving, etc. I was curious if the older Bronco fans out there could comment on what the atmosphere is like now compared to other "big moments" in Bronco history.

Good stuff, great read.

ive wondered that too. 10 years and 2 SBs from now we look back at what the media called a disaster offseason and realize it was a blessing, while jay cutler is bouncing from team to team trying to get someone to respect his authoritah...

titan
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Great work.

Craig Morton......Kyle Orton.
mORTON....ORTON.

Kinda' creepy.

I didn't notice that - good one!

JJJ
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice post.

This analogy probably only works if Philip Rivers decides not to report until the 11th week of the season like Fouts that year.

lex
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Its starting to remind me of 1984.

Hogan11
08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
How did I miss this thread?...great job!

Los Broncos
08-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Good stuff, thanks.

Hulamau
08-03-2009, 12:34 AM
I started a new blog this week http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/ and here's a copy of my first post:

=====

You can also follow me on twitter at: http://twitter.com/sportsindenver

Great post Titan, I remember well that season and the almost nauseating wave created when we were all stomping in Mile High and setting up that unique resonance in that steel structure that anyone in the upper sections cant help but remember... What an exciting year that was!

cutthemdown
08-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Nice thread. Can't deny that's a lot of similarities.

DeusExManning
08-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Excellent post Titan!

fido
08-03-2009, 08:52 AM
the '77 team was majic

jsco70
08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Interesting comparison. So does this mean Hillis will become the next pop singing sensation ala John Keyworth?

McDenver
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Great post and breakdown. I really like McD's mindset of toughening up a team that has been 'Charmin' soft for the past few years, and the couching staff around McD looks like a great one. I am very excited about this upcomming season; we may not win it all, but I'll be pulling for the guys in orange and blue all the way.

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Did anyone point out the RBBC approach that Red Miller brought from NE and compare that to us drafting a RB in 1st round while we have a stable of Hillis, Torain, buckhalter and Jordan etc?

I still think we will throw more than Morten did.

titan
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Did anyone point out the RBBC approach that Red Miller brought from NE and compare that to us drafting a RB in 1st round while we have a stable of Hillis, Torain, buckhalter and Jordan etc?

I still think we will throw more than Morten did.

That's a good point - Red Miller had a running back by committee. One back in the rotation was a rookie early round draft pick - Rob Lytle. McDaniels looks like he plans a running back by committee, too, with an early round draft pick (Moreno) in the rotation.

I agree the 2009 team will throw more. I looked back at the 1977 stats and was surprised Haven Moses only had 27 catches over the 14 game regular season schedule (The M&M Connection was at full strength in the AFC Championship game, though, where Haven had 5 catches 168 yds 2 tds)

broncosteven
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Interesting comparison. So does this mean Hillis will become the next pop singing sensation ala John Keyworth?

Miracles can happen

The Moops
08-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Where's Jon Keyworth when you need him to belt out The Song!

B-Love
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Not to burst anyone's bubble as everyone knows I enjoy some old school memories and trivia.

But lets not lose sight of the fact that the 1976 Broncos Defense was just as good as the 77 Defense. And the 2008 Broncos Defense was one of the most embarrassing in league history.

The 1976 Broncos Defensive stats are actually slightly better than they were in the magical year of '77.

The 13-1 Champion 76 Raiders were held under 20 points only 4 times. They were crushed at new England 48-17, held to only 18 points in a rainy-swampy home game against Green Bay, and BOTH GAMES AGAINST ORANGE CRUSH!

The 76 Broncos D and the 2008 Broncos D are just a little different.

worm
10-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Continuing Titan's comparisons between the 2009 and 1977 Broncos....Denver is still on track to repeat history.

The first game of 1977, the Broncos played the Cardinals who finished 7-7 that year. Denver won 7-0 in a game that had the Bronco's offense playing poorly turning the ball over four times.

The second game, the Broncos played the Bills who finished 3-11. Denver won decisively 26-6

The third game was also against a bottom feeder, the 5-9 Seattle Seahawks. Denver rolled 24-13.

Denver was among the league leaders in takeaways...while the O was still learning to work together. There was also bounces going the Broncos way. Actually the whole season the breaks always seemed to go Denver's way. Eerily so.

At this point in the 1977 season, the perception outside of Denver was that the competition was not good enough to get a read on how good the Broncos were. In Denver, it wasn't all Orange Crush....most people still had a wait and see attitude. (at least from what I can remember as a young kid).

It really wasn't till Denver spanked the Raiders (SB Champ in '76) 30-7 in Week 5 (@Oak)...that BroncoMania began to gather momentum and eventually turned magical. The 2009 version of the Broncos will get their true litmus test against the Chargers (@SD) in Week 6.

The '77 Broncos played the woeful Chiefs this week...and won 23-7. I predict history will repeat again this week against Dallas.

baja
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I think the Cowboys are going to run into a buzz saw. I see the Broncos as a perfect storm brewing.

As a matter of fact I'm going to call them from now on Perfect Storm

baja
10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
The 09 Broncos =

Perfect Storm

Mr. Elway
10-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I feel kid of foolish typing this but I get chills thinking... "what if?"

bombquixote
10-01-2009, 11:54 AM
just shhhh. We'll see.

Rohirrim
10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Calm down, kids. ;D

uplink
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks for the nice article
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

BroncoBuff
10-01-2009, 01:11 PM
- fired their most successful head coach in team history (John Ralston)
- hired the New England Patriots offensive coordinator as new coach (Red Miller)
- were blown out in a late season game the year before to miss the playoffs (38-14 loss to new england in week 12)
- entered the season with an imbalance - great defense, bad offense
- entered the season with a new veteran starting quarterback acquired by trade (Craig Morton)

Fast forward to 2009, the Broncos:

- fired their most successful head coach in team history (Mike Shanahan)
- hired the New England Patriots offensive coordinator as new coach (Josh McDaniels)
- were blown out in a late season game the year before to miss the playoffs (52-21 loss to san diego in week 17)
- entered the season with an imbalance - great offense, bad defense
- entered the season with a new veteran starting quarterback acquired by trade (Kyle Orton)

Both the 1977 edition and the 2009 edition of the Broncos had very difficult schedules.

Those are massively strking coincidences ... nice job.

broncosteven
10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
The 09 Broncos =

Perfect Storm

Didn't that movie end with the ship sinking and the loss of all hands?

DivineLegion
10-01-2009, 04:43 PM
This is acctually kind of creepy...

bronclvr
10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I remember the '77 Season, and, maybe It was just the ignorance of youth, but it seemed like there was more of a determination/karma/assurance in the Team as compared to this Year-

HAT
10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Didn't that movie end with the ship sinking and the loss of all hands?

Which is why he wants to call them Perfect Storm instead of Andrea Gail.

We'll reserve that name for the opponents. :thumbs:

broncosteven
10-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I remember the '77 Season, and, maybe It was just the ignorance of youth, but it seemed like there was more of a determination/karma/assurance in the Team as compared to this Year-

Actually there was just as much turbulence if not more due to the "22" players that demanded Ralston be fired.

The Miller transistion wasn't as seemless as Shanny's or even Wades.

NYBronc
10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
After four games both the '77 and '09 Defenses have allowed only 26 points.

<B>'77 Broncos</B>
1 Sun September 18 box W 1-0 St. Louis Cardinals 7 0
2 Sun September 25 box W 2-0 Buffalo Bills 26 6
3 Sun October 2 box W 3-0 @ Seattle Seahawks 24 13
4 Sun October 9 box W 4-0 Kansas City Chiefs 23 7

<B>'09 Broncos</B>
1 Sun September 13 box W 1-0 @ Cincinnati Bengals 12 7
2 Sun September 20 box W 2-0 Cleveland Browns 27 6
3 Sun September 27 box W 3-0 @ Oakland Raiders 23 3
4 Sun October 4 box W 4-0 Dallas Cowboys 17 10

Mr. Elway
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
After four games both the '77 and '09 Defenses have allowed only 26 points.

<B>'77 Broncos</B>
1 Sun September 18 box W 1-0 St. Louis Cardinals 7 0
2 Sun September 25 box W 2-0 Buffalo Bills 26 6
3 Sun October 2 box W 3-0 @ Seattle Seahawks 24 13
4 Sun October 9 box W 4-0 Kansas City Chiefs 23 7

<B>'09 Broncos</B>
1 Sun September 13 box W 1-0 @ Cincinnati Bengals 12 7
2 Sun September 20 box W 2-0 Cleveland Browns 27 6
3 Sun September 27 box W 3-0 @ Oakland Raiders 23 3
4 Sun October 4 box W 4-0 Dallas Cowboys 17 10

Whoah! The craziness continues...

titan
10-19-2009, 10:54 PM
6-0 start! Just like the 77 team!

I really thought tonight was going to be a speed bump for the Broncos (their first loss) but they surprised me. When a team gets on a roll, just like that 77 team, the tough games before the season don't look so tough anymore.

That 77 team lost their 7th game to go 6-1. Will the 2009 Broncos even do better than that with a win in Baltimore in two weeks? I wouldn't bet against it!

broncosteven
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Personally for me Monday night was the 2008 version of the '77 Oakland game, I think McDaniels would argue the NE game because that seemed to mean more to him but as a Bronco fan watching Rivers go down often in the 4th quarter was just as fun as a blow out Oakland win in 77.

BTW anyone realize our HC was 2 years old in 1977. Not bashing just pointing out fact.

Go Broncos!

ScottXray
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Personally for me Monday night was the 2008 version of the '77 Oakland game, I think McDaniels would argue the NE game because that seemed to mean more to him but as a Bronco fan watching Rivers go down often in the 4th quarter was just as fun as a blow out Oakland win in 77.

BTW anyone realize our HC was 2 years old in 1977. Not bashing just pointing out fact.

Go Broncos!

Nice point....However i do NOT want to see the 77 season repeated in its entirety.

1. There are 2 More games than in 77. So we should go 7-1 ( beat Baltimore next)
before a loss....which unfortunately would be Pittsburgh.

Then we rip off another 7 wins , and give KC a meaningless win the last game (oh NO).

Since this means 14-2 and head to head wins over most if not all possible AFC playoff teams, this is a GOOD thing. HFA for the playoffs. Just like 77.

2. I do not want to enter the playoffs with a seriously injured QB, like Morton was.

3. I do NOT want to go to the superbowl and LOSE. That aspect of the 77 season must NOT be duplicated. Also we must NOT lose to the NFC E team that wins the NFC title. Therefore we must beat the Giants and Philadelphia. Washington is a special case...losing to them destroys the entire 77 season repeat process, as they will not be in the playoffs.

listopencil
10-21-2009, 01:41 PM
The Football Gods are giving us this season-to remind of us of why we are Bronco fans, and because they are pleased that we traded Cutler. Perhaps we have done enough to appease Them, after encouraging Their wrath by sending Atwater off to the Jets and not naming the new place John Elway Field at New Mile High Stadium.

Hear us, O Football Gods! We have sent away the p***Y and are slowly removing his vaginal stench from our beloved team. Also, we have sacrificed a HOF Head coach on Your most highest altars. We have built a Defense in Thine own image. Please bless us and find us worthy of bestowing upon us a Short Yardage Running Game. Amen.

listopencil
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
P.S. I don't have a chicken to sacrifice anymore, mine ran away. Is it OK if I stop by the grocery store and get some fried chicken for dinner from the deli instead? K, Thx.