PDA

View Full Version : Ex-CSU RB Gartrell Johnson

JJJ
07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
What is the local read on the RB the Bolts picked up in the draft?

Anyone watch him on a regular basis out there?

Seems like a high energy guy.

Irish Stout
07-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Hes a strong runner and good blocker. He was about the only thing CSU had going last year. He's a great snag and I won't be suprised to seem him really develop into something special.

I hate where he went though... keep them CSU boys in Denver or Houston. Come on now.

Inkana7
07-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Really, really slow. But he's a load. Good back, but he's maybe the slowest RB I watched last year. Even in his crazy bowl game where he had like 300 yards rushing he could have had 400 had he been faster.

supermanhr9
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
yeah that killed me to see that, just like the receiver they have,,, his name escapes me, but he is from UNC.... ummm.... just can't think of the name at the moment. Anyways, it sucks to see hometown college guys go to the enemy.

lex
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
yeah that killed me to see that, just like the receiver they have,,, his name escapes me, but he is from UNC.... ummm.... just can't think of the name at the moment. Anyways, it sucks to see hometown college guys go to the enemy.

Vincent Jackson

elsid13
07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
He is a bulldozer, and nice find. I don't think he has enough speed to be a starting RB in the NFL, but he could very good short yardage guy and maybe transition into an effective fullback in mode of Mike Anderson or Cecil Sapp.

lex
07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
He likes to pee on fences and hump your leg.

Flex Gunmetal
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Great post lex!

lex
07-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Great post lex!

I try to help fans of the other teams in the most appropriate way possible.

Irish Stout
07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Really, really slow. But he's a load. Good back, but he's maybe the slowest RB I watched last year. Even in his crazy bowl game where he had like 300 yards rushing he could have had 400 had he been faster.

I don't know about you, but he reminds me of Peyton Hillis.

elsid13
07-29-2009, 03:34 PM

No way, he not even close to Hillis's skill sets. Think Raiders' Zach Crockett.

elsid13
07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
He likes to pee on fences and hump your leg.

He asked about Johnson, not Hotrod.

JJJ
07-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks all for the info. Lack of speed is never helpful in the NFL. We already have one slow RB/FB tweener so I was hoping he had a little more burst.

broncswin
07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks all for the info. Lack of speed is never helpful in the NFL. We already have one slow RB/FB tweener so I was hoping he had a little more burst.

There is no way LT is big enough to be a FB...ROFL!

Anyway back to Gartrell, he played for CSU...NUFF SAID:strong:

Man-Goblin
07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I remember saying he looked like Earl freaking Campbell against the Buffs, but I was probably just englufed in the game and pissed off.

broncswin
07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
I remember saying he looked like Earl freaking Campbell against the Buffs, but I was probably just englufed in the game and pissed off.

LOL...I hear ya bro:thumbs:

bronco militia
07-30-2009, 08:27 AM
he's a load and likes to hit people....

misturanderson
07-30-2009, 08:46 AM
After his sophmore year, when he took over for Kyle Bell, I thought there was no chance that he would be able to stay in the starting spot with how terrible his vision was (think around, maybe below, 3 yards per carry despite a good run blocking line). Then something clicked and he kept the starting job even when Lubick was trying to give it back to Bell. He now seems to have amazing vision and great decisiveness at the line. He will never outrun anyone in the nfl, but he gets up to full speed quickly and will absolutely punish anyone in his way.

If he gets a few holes to get to the second level he could easily be a guy that averages around 5 yards per carry while never taking it to the house.

400HZ
07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't know if Gartrell was neccessarily the best overall runningback still available when San Diego drafted him, but he definitely fit the Charger's draft theme of picking tough, physical players and getting away from the pansy finesse types.

http://i28.tinypic.com/k4y3au.jpg

boltaneer
07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't know if Gartrell was neccessarily the best overall runningback still available when San Diego drafted him, but he definitely fit the Charger's draft theme of picking tough, physical players and getting away from the pansy finesse types.

http://i28.tinypic.com/k4y3au.jpg

Dude looks like a bad mf'er. Lets see if he's the real deal or not...

CoopDawg
07-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I got to watch Gartrell Johnson in person when he came to Salt Lake to play the Utes and he is a LOAD. The dreadlocks alone make him look twice as scary. Like everyone else said he does not have NFL speed at all but runs hard.

Master___Pain
07-30-2009, 03:29 PM

Don't insult Hillis like that

SonOfLe-loLang
07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Who is 92, he looks like a mean sonabitch

JJJ
07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
That is our Rastafarian Canadian Vaughn Martin. Born in Jamaica and played college ball in Canada. No, seriously. Big time project but majorly strong.

We have no depth on the line so he will make the team for sure. If we are lucky he may actually help out with our run defense which had serious issues last year.