PDA

View Full Version : marshall wont be traded

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
per broncomania, per john clayton. said the highest a team offered was a fourth round pick. hope you perform well and get a contract this year, 15.

rastaman
07-14-2009, 06:10 PM
per broncomania, per john clayton. said the highest a team offered was a fourth round pick. hope you perform well and get a contract this year, 15.

I'm just hoping Orton can get BMarsh the ball at the right to allow Marshall to be successful!

bronco militia
07-14-2009, 06:10 PM
I think I've heard this before.....I just can't place it

bronco militia
07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1229/bowleninformationminist.jpg

rastaman
07-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Yep! I tired of reading all these post about Bmarsh is under contract and will be in camp. Its a no brainer.....Brandon can make over 2 million dollars in 2009.

rastaman
07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1229/bowleninformationminist.jpg

General Bowlen is in CHARGE!!!:sunshine:

Popps
07-14-2009, 06:24 PM
The 4th round thing doesn't surprise me. There may be someone out there who would put up a third.

But, Javon Walker was a similar talent/risk and went for a 2nd rounder. Teams saw how that worked out.

I just think most NFL teams have learned their lesson about head-case WRs.

Have a good camp, Brandon. :)

SouthStndJunkie
07-14-2009, 06:25 PM

No doubt.

broncosteven
07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
You foo's forget Dortoh heard a trade is imminent.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Good. I say if he shows up to camp healthy, eager, ready to work...sign him to a long term!

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Does anyone really think we can keep him after his contract is up?

NYBronco
07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm just hoping Orton can get BMarsh the ball at the right to allow Marshall to be successful!

With the strength of the Broncos offensive line, potential talent in the backfield and the offensive minded McDaniels both Orton and Marshall should be successful.

Cool Breeze
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM

We have him for 2 years.
We can place a couple of tags on him after that.
He's not going anywhere unless the Broncos don't want him.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 06:54 PM
We have him for 2 years.

Well teams can offer him a contract and put in poison pills like what the Pats did to the Phins with Welker. Still I don't think the guy ever signs a contract with us. He doesn't want to be here and it will cost Denver plenty to by time with him.

mr007
07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
The 4th round thing doesn't surprise me. There may be someone out there who would put up a third.

But, Javon Walker was a similar talent/risk and went for a 2nd rounder. Teams saw how that worked out.

Similar???? How do you figure? Javon tore his ACL, was out for a full year, and had only somewhat comparable #'s in 1 season prior to that....

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 07:33 PM

If that is true, then the NFL never ceases to amaze me. Obviously there is a character risk and possibly even an injury risk, but even with all of that, BMarsh is clearly a much safer choice than your average first rounder in the draft. Personally I would not want us to trade him even for a first - he is a proven commodity and a nice guy with some baggage and a whole lot of ability.

bowtown
07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Well teams can offer him a contract and put in poison pills like what the Pats did to the Phins with Welker. Still I don't think the guy ever signs a contract with us. He doesn't want to be here and it will cost Denver plenty to by time with him.

Ummm... the Pats traded for Welker. There was no poison pill.

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 08:04 PM

i was wondering about that too.

Popps
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Similar???? How do you figure? Javon tore his ACL, was out for a full year, and had only somewhat comparable #'s in 1 season prior to that....

Had Javon not torn up his knee, the consensus thought pattern out there was that he would have had another big year.

He did tear up his knee. Hence, there was inherent risk in trading for him.

Marshall has not only injury issues (potentially) but more importantly, he's one screw-up from a major suspension and has a very bad off-field track record.

So, two very talented receivers, both with a great deal of inherent risk.

Hence, it's not a surprise that Walker brought a second, and teams may be getting smarter about taking these kinds of risks.

broncofan2438
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
See you in camp Brandon......Pull ur head out and play hard

Northman
07-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Somebody only offered a 4th for Jay? When? :rofl:

Northman
07-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Why not?

Baba Booey
07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
4th rounder LOL

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 09:02 PM

By that point, the only question was how to finalize the process. The Patriots were prepared to sign Welker to an offer sheet that included a "poison pill" that would make it difficult for the Dolphins to match. Yet in hopes of avoiding the bad blood that sometimes can accompany offer sheets - the Seahawks and Vikings recently engaged in a nasty back and forth with offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and receiver Nate Burleson exchanging teams via offer sheets - the Patriots instead called the Dolphins and proposed a trade.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/17/patriots_pounced_fast_to_grab_welker/

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
By that point, the only question was how to finalize the process. The Patriots were prepared to sign Welker to an offer sheet that included a "poison pill" that would make it difficult for the Dolphins to match. Yet in hopes of avoiding the bad blood that sometimes can accompany offer sheets - the Seahawks and Vikings recently engaged in a nasty back and forth with offensive lineman Steve Hutchinson and receiver Nate Burleson exchanging teams via offer sheets - the Patriots instead called the Dolphins and proposed a trade.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/17/patriots_pounced_fast_to_grab_welker/

so both teams avoided a poison pill by trading for him. you would have made a better option by saying the hutchinson trade deal..

TheReverend
07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2009/07/13/16636392/profilepic/1SqP7EYtBSIXew33FGhRsrMpr69763.jpeg

TheReverend
07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Oops. Wrong pic.

I meant:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2s8s09f.jpg

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
so both teams avoided a poison pill by trading for him. you would have made a better option by saying the hutchinson trade deal..

LOL There WAS a poison pill in place. Regardless if the Phins avoided it or not to get another pick out of the deal. They would have lost Welker one way or another but took the route that like I said got them something extra from it. Don't fool yourself into thinking the Phins didn't want to keep Welker but the Pats had them by the balls.

cutthemdown
07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
LOL at the look on Marshall's face when his agent told him no team will even offer a first round pick, let alone a 1st and a 3rd.

So what they offered a couple 2nd round picks? what? No Brandon best offer was a 4th round pick. I bet that humble pie didn't taste so good.

No wonder he is saying now that his getting ready for camp. It was a decent try by Marshal and his agent but he just didn't have the timing to get it done. The hip injury I think, the arm, the off field problems just the triple whammy.

Marshall will need a healthy yr, 70 plus catches, 1000 yrds minimum or he won't be cashing in next yr either.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
The NFL Players Association is concerned that the Patriots and Dolphins violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement while putting together the recent trade of receiver Wes Welker and has asked the NFL Management Council for an explanation, according to a source.

"They may have violated the CBA rule that says one club can't offer the player's former team anything that would [sway] that team from matching their offer," the source said. "Anti-collusion [rule], that's another thing that may come into play."

The source added that the NFLPA's interest in the matter stemmed from complaints made by Welker's agent, Vann McElroy, regarding the devaluation of his client because of possible violations.

The inquiry was also based on a series of newspaper and Internet reports leading up to the trade that indicated that the Patriots were set to give Welker, then a restricted free agent, an offer sheet worth $38.5 million over seven years on March 3.

An NFL.com report said the Patriots were going to include a "poison pill" that said if Welker played four games in Florida, his contract would become fully guaranteed.

No offer sheet was tendered by the Patriots and on March 5, the Dolphins traded Welker, their leading receiver in 2006, to New England for a second- and seventh-round draft pick.

watermock
07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Ah, the sweet smell of napalm in the air.

Smells like VICTORY!

If this is great news, it's gonna be a long year. Yeah, a player is bound by his contract...yeah.

Marshall will bolt first chance.

cutthemdown
07-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Ah, the sweet smell of napalm in the air.

Smells like VICTORY!

If this is great news, it's gonna be a long year. Yeah, a player is bound by his contract...yeah.

Marshall will bolt first chance.

You think? I think if he played great, Broncos were comfortable he was healthy and not in trouble anymore, and they offered a big enough deal he would gladly stay.

I think Marshall will go wherever he gets offered the most money period. It could be next yr as a restricted FA. Then Broncos might just match depending on the deal.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
if Bowlen plays this information right, Marshall gets signed long term with no problem

cutthemdown
07-14-2009, 11:47 PM
if Bowlen plays this information right, Marshall gets signed long term with no problem

Well it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a chance and offer him say 7 mil a yr instead of 9 mil. Maybe give him a shorter deal, like 4 yrs so he can have a shot at FA when he is like 30 and another big deal. Maybe some good upfront money, but he can lose it if he screws up really bad.

Otherwise if Marshal had a bad yr, got dinged again etc, he may not even get that in open market.

4 yrs 28-29 million 6-7 million upfront.

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 12:36 AM
LOL at the look on Marshall's face when his agent told him no team will even offer a first round pick, let alone a 1st and a 3rd.

So what they offered a couple 2nd round picks? what? No Brandon best offer was a 4th round pick. I bet that humble pie didn't taste so good.

No wonder he is saying now that his getting ready for camp. It was a decent try by Marshal and his agent but he just didn't have the timing to get it done. The hip injury I think, the arm, the off field problems just the triple whammy.

Marshall will need a healthy yr, 70 plus catches, 1000 yrds minimum or he won't be cashing in next yr either.

i love that teams wouldn't offer a 1st and 3rd for him. now Denver can call him in, say "hey we tried to accomodate your trade wishes, but no one felt you were worth what we feel you are." makes the team look good, and opens up the possibility of getting him re-signed

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Well it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a chance and offer him say 7 mil a yr instead of 9 mil. Maybe give him a shorter deal, like 4 yrs so he can have a shot at FA when he is like 30 and another big deal. Maybe some good upfront money, but he can lose it if he screws up really bad.

Otherwise if Marshal had a bad yr, got dinged again etc, he may not even get that in open market.

4 yrs 28-29 million 6-7 million upfront.

i think his and the Broncos best course of action would be a 3 year deal worth 8million a year with about 14million guaranteed. it isn't long term, and it gives the team more time to make him want to be here long term, and it gives Marshall the money he wants and deserves, and also gives him the opportunity to get his act together with the contract ending with him at a young enough age for him to sign another big money deal from us or another team if he chooses.

if he can prove he has matured in the time of the 3years we give him, he will have no problem commanding a contract that pays him like the best in the league when that one expires.

watermock
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
BM is going to coast.

He's going to run out of bonds, go down first hit.

He'll get his 700.

It's funny.

Denver will be more solid overall, but nowhere near a playoff team, unless your in the pathetic AFC West.

broncocalijohn
07-15-2009, 01:24 AM
We have him for 2 years.

for the offering of a fourth rounder, I dont think many teams want him at what he thinks he is worth. His best bet is to make nice and keep playing to his pro bowl standards. Then stop biatch slapping the hoes, i mean girlfriends, and everything will work out for both parties.

telluride
07-15-2009, 01:34 AM
BM is going to coast.

He's going to run out of bonds, go down first hit.

He'll get his 700.

It's funny.

Denver will be more solid overall, but nowhere near a playoff team, unless your in the pathetic AFC West.

Jesus, Mock, why even bother to post? If you're this down on the team and the season already, just take a year off.

Broncoman13
07-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Jesus, Mock, why even bother to post? If you're this down on the team and the season already, just take a year off.

Ha... This is how you were for years and exactly what we were asking you to do. For Mock, it's been one offseason. It was YEARS for you bro, and I dont' recall you taking any significant time off.

eddie mac
07-15-2009, 06:32 AM
That's a nice welcome to the real world for Brandon. This will also help the team in contract negotiations.

Drek
07-15-2009, 07:01 AM
LOL There WAS a poison pill in place. Regardless if the Phins avoided it or not to get another pick out of the deal. They would have lost Welker one way or another but took the route that like I said got them something extra from it. Don't fool yourself into thinking the Phins didn't want to keep Welker but the Pats had them by the balls.

You do realize those are not even remotely analogous situations right?

Welker had an RFA tag so he could test the waters and the Dolphins' compensation was all of a 2nd rounder. Teams are willing to poison pill that.

If Marshall plays it out and goes looking for a new deal elsewhere do you really think he'll get anything less than a 1st round tender? More likely two firsts, a la Jared Allen.

If someone wants to give us two first round picks for the right to pay Brandon Marshall $9M+ a season with $30M or so guaranteed then by all means, they're welcome to write in any poison pills they want.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 07:01 AM
You think? I think if he played great, Broncos were comfortable he was healthy and not in trouble anymore, and they offered a big enough deal he would gladly stay.

I think Marshall will go wherever he gets offered the most money period. It could be next yr as a restricted FA. Then Broncos might just match depending on the deal.

What makes you think BMarsh wants to remain a Bronco? I see no indications Brandon is dying to sign a 2nd Contract with Denver. Fans are foolish to think that just b/c the FO can hang a contract over BMarsh head, that it means Brandon will come in with a positive team first -- I love my coach, the city of Denver attitude, and return to his risky reckless abandon career shortening play as he did in 07 & 08.

Like I've been posting all along, Brandon just needs to stay healthy and out of trouble long enough until the Broncos "Hostage" crisis is over. Remember, BMarsh's leverage is his size, strength, and talent. Teams bidding for Marshall won't put so much importance on his stats as they will what physical talent Marshall could bring to a team that already has talent. Believe me, a SB and playoff contending team a year from now or two will pay for the services of Brandon Marshall. Meanwhile as time goes by Denver could end up with nothing in compensation for BMarsh. You watch and see.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 07:12 AM
That's a nice welcome to the real world for Brandon. This will also help the team in contract negotiations.

Ha! Brandon has now realized the NFL is a business and if he's smart and he wants to realize a big day and guaranteed signing bonus....he needs to stay healthy and out of trouble and not play with reckless abandon to invite further injury and wear and tear to his body. All Brandon needs to do is run great routes, catch passes that come his way, while the Broncos are holding him hostage during the tag years! Brandon can get out of Denver with health and career intact.....its just going to take patients.

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 08:58 AM
You do realize those are not even remotely analogous situations right?

Welker had an RFA tag so he could test the waters and the Dolphins' compensation was all of a 2nd rounder. Teams are willing to poison pill that.

If Marshall plays it out and goes looking for a new deal elsewhere do you really think he'll get anything less than a 1st round tender? More likely two firsts, a la Jared Allen.

If someone wants to give us two first round picks for the right to pay Brandon Marshall $9M+ a season with $30M or so guaranteed then by all means, they're welcome to write in any poison pills they want.

You're confusing RFA with Franchise tagged players.

The highest tender for RFA is a 1st and third. A non exclusive rights franchise tagged player is like RFA, only the compensation is two firsts.

TonyR
07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Like I've been posting all along...

Correct me if I'm wrong but you've also been saying all along that BM has the leverage and lots of value to other teams. In which case you'd clearly be wrong on both counts, which I've been saying all along.

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
What makes you think BMarsh wants to remain a Bronco? I see no indications Brandon is dying to sign a 2nd Contract with Denver. Fans are foolish to think that just b/c the FO can hang a contract over BMarsh head, that it means Brandon will come in with a positive team first -- I love my coach, the city of Denver attitude, and return to his risky reckless abandon career shortening play as he did in 07 & 08.

Like I've been posting all along, Brandon just needs to stay healthy and out of trouble long enough until the Broncos "Hostage" crisis is over. Remember, BMarsh's leverage is his size, strength, and talent. Teams bidding for Marshall won't put so much importance on his stats as they will what physical talent Marshall could bring to a team that already has talent. Believe me, a SB and playoff contending team a year from now or two will pay for the services of Brandon Marshall. Meanwhile as time goes by Denver could end up with nothing in compensation for BMarsh. You watch and see.

And once again I'll ask you: how much value does a receiver have when he plays away from his most unique and valuable talent?

Plenty of other receivers in the league have size, speed (although apparently he can't even get close to competing with Fitzgerald, who ran a similar 40 coming out of school, in sprints right now) and talent, plus they score more touchdowns than Brandon does. If he doesn't showcase his amazing after the catch moves for the next 2+ years, why would anyone want to pay him like the best receiver in the league?

telluride
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Ha... This is how you were for years and exactly what we were asking you to do. For Mock, it's been one offseason. It was YEARS for you bro, and I dont' recall you taking any significant time off.

Actually, the only thing I was ever down on was Shanny. Never the team. And in fact when it reached a point where all I ever wanted to do was bitch about Shanny, I did stop posting. It might be a good idea for the Cutler widows and Bowlen haters and McDaniels malcontents to do the same.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but you've also been saying all along that BM has the leverage and lots of value to other teams. In which case you'd clearly be wrong on both counts, which I've been saying all along.

I've stated that BMarsh leverage will be whether he can stay healthy and out of trouble btwn 2009, 2010, and 2011. Teams aren't really interested right now b/c he's rehabing his hip injury and has pending legal issues.

The jury is still out whether Marshall wants to stay a Bronco once his (Hostage) tag years have ended with the Broncos. Brandon has strength, size, and agility that you can't coach and NFL teams will zero in on these attributes once BMarsh puts his injury and legal issues behind him. Teams will be more interested whether Brandon can run routes and catch passes at a high level over the next 3 years, than rather if he plays with his current career shortening reckless abandon method he has displayed in 07 & 08.

Therefore, Brandon must ensure he plays smarter and stays healthy! He's not getting any younger and his hip injury may have been due to his reckless abandon and risky play that allows 2 or 3 players to tackle him over the last two seasons.

Not to mention all the wear and tear playing in this manner causes with cutting against the grain that puts further pressure and wear and tear on his knees, ankles, and hip joints. Hopefully, Brandon has learned a valuable lesson that the Broncos will pay him the same whether 1, 2, or 3 tacklers bring him down. Marshall only needs to make the best of the passes Orton throws to him!

Simply put......Brandon must play smarter over the next 3 years in order to be in good enough health for teams to remain interested in signing him to top 5 or 10 contract for WR's.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 10:24 AM
And once again I'll ask you: how much value does a receiver have when he plays away from his most unique and valuable talent?

Plenty of other receivers in the league have size, speed (although apparently he can't even get close to competing with Fitzgerald who ran a 4.63 40 coming out of school in sprints right now) and talent, plus they score more touchdowns than Brandon does. If he doesn't showcase his amazing after the catch moves for the next 2+ years, why would anyone want to pay him like the best receiver in the league?

And I'll tell you, BMarsh's value comes from longevity! He won't last very long in the league if he continues to play with reckless risky abandon as he's already done in in 07 & 08! Bmarsh can showcase his YAC moves w/o allowing 2 or 3 tacklers to take unnecessary shots at his body. Lets not forget as well that YAC for a WR depends whether the QB gets ball to the receiver at the right time!

Larry Fitzgerald does not play with reckless abandon.....he just plays smart! and takes what the defense gives him, he runs great routes and catches the catchable passes. If the YAC is there Fitz's will take it! And still allow the least amount of punishing hits possible.....even if it means "STEPPING OUT OF BOUNDS".

Brandon needs to adopt this same manner of play as well. I will say, Fitzgerald does have a QB that gets him the ball at the right time to be most successful....hopefully, Orton will due the same for Marshall.

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
And I'll tell you, BMarsh's value comes from longevity! He won't last very long in the league if he continues to play with reckless risky abandon as he's already done in in 07 & 08! Bmarsh can showcase his YAC moves w/o allowing 2 or 3 tacklers to take unnecessary shots at his body. Lets not forget as well that YAC for a WR depends whether the QB gets ball to the receiver at the right time!

Larry Fitzgerald does not play with reckless abandon.....he just plays smart! and takes what the defense gives him, he runs great routes and catches the catchable passes. If the YAC is there Fitz's will take it! And still allow the least amount of punishing hits possible.....even if it means "STEPPING OUT OF BOUNDS".

Brandon needs to adopt this same manner of play as well. I will say, Fitzgerald does have a QB that gets him the ball at the right time to be most successful....hopefully, Orton will due the same for Marshall.

But Brandon Marshall doesn't have nearly the body control in the air, jumping ability or hands of Larry Fitzgerald, they have totally different playing styles.

Marshall is as famous as he is partly because of his off the field trouble, but also because of his dynamic change of direction and YAC skills. He isn't fast enough to outrun people and even with Cutler, who you think is by far superior to Orton, wasn't nearly the threat in the red zone that a person of his size should be. Brandon Marshall's main value is how he can make people miss after he catches a short out and can get 10 yards by breaking 3 tackles.

I'll admit that he can do without being taken down violently by 3 people, but to pretend that he would be worth nearly as much if he goes down at first contact is a joke.

Northman
07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Brandon can get out of Denver with health and career intact.....its just going to take patients.

How many is it going to take exactly?