PDA

View Full Version : Karl Mecklenburg compares Josh McDaniels to Barack Obama

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Young Leaders Promising Change
July 14th, 2009 - 1:26pm by Gray Caldwell

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/09%20Blogs/mecklenburg_090714.jpg

Editor’s Note: Broncos Ring of Famer Karl Mecklenburg will occasionally write a guest blog for DenverBroncos.com. In his first entry, he discusses the idea of change, both with the Broncos and the country as a whole.

Once a year when he felt our team had reached a plateau, right before he sent us off to run wind sprints Dan Reeves would drawl, “Men, ya eitha gittin betta or ya gitten worse, ya cain’t stay the same.”

Dan said a lot of things, some of which I’m still trying to figure out, but he was right about this. Change is inevitable, and through planning and effort change can be positive. The young cry out for change, impatient in their zeal to hurry the inevitable. The old fear change, forgetting the opportunity that they found in their early years hidden in the challenges of change.

We’re in the middle of it now, with high unemployment, bank failures and bailout plans, with a new coach, quarterback and system for the Broncos. In the recent election, both presidential candidates insisted that they were the candidate of change. They actually agreed on something and neither one was lying. The United States and the Broncos will look very different in four years.

Wiill we adapt and change in the next four years as a football team and as a country? Remember, “ya eitha gittin betta or ya gitten worse, ya cain’t stay the same.” Change scares us even though we know there’s opportunity in it. We think of past mistakes, knowing that every time we make a new decision a mistake is possible. We must also remember past successes as new blood and a refocused energy is applied to the age old problems of teamwork, blocking and tackling on the field, and the much more challenging problems the federal government faces.

I say give the new leaders a chance to lead. Both Josh McDaniels and President Obama have daunting tasks ahead of them. Both are young in age and young in experience, but both seem to understand the true value and power of teamwork. If they can consistently and clearly lead their teams by putting team success above any personal concerns, individual team members will buy into the team vision and anything is possible. Both men have made some early decisions which rankled the established and made some supporters question them, but that is the price of change.

When Dan Reeves coached us to three AFC championships in four years he didn’t have the best system, and we weren’t the most talented. We were the best team. We believed in each other and put the team’s passion to win first. It could happen again.

-Karl Mecklenburg

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/young-leaders-promising-change/

fdf
07-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Lord. I hope not.

Man-Goblin
07-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, duh. It's an obvious comparison.

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Dan said a lot of things, some of which Iím still trying to figure out.
LOL

Paladin
07-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Really, a great piece. Did not realize Karl was so erudite. Has a good vision of the larger picture.

Great post. Thanks.

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 03:34 PM
me likey...

bronco_boi_5280
07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
So the team's going down the crapper then. Well at least we know.

worm
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Give them both a chance. Yes.

Hold them accountable for their actions from Day 1? Yes.

The Joker
07-14-2009, 04:06 PM
So the team's going down the crapper then. Well at least we know.

Both America and the Broncos were going down the crapper before they were taken over by their new leaders.

(Not wanting to turn this into a political debate, I'm not even American but it was plain as day things were going south in the US just as they were in the rest of the world before Obama came in to power).

Not sure either Obama or McDaniels are the solution, but both deserve a chance.

tesnyde
07-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Really, a great piece. Did not realize Karl was so erudite. Has a good vision of the larger picture.

Great post. Thanks.

He a learned one that Meck, he had to make a choice between doctor schul and futball at the end of his gettin' educMECKated as a gopher. Gopher taste good.

Kaylore
07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
LOL

Yeah that made me smile too.

TonyR
07-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Both America and the Broncos were going down the crapper before they were taken over by their new leaders.

(Not wanting to turn this into a political debate, I'm not even American but it was plain as day things were going south in the US just as they were in the rest of the world before Obama came in to power).

Not sure either Obama or McDaniels are the solution, but both deserve a chance.

Now that's a good post. Kudos to you, sir. Well done.

BMarsh615
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Lord. I hope not.

This.

rastaman
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
The only thing Karl failed to mention was that Reeves had Elway for three AFC titles in four years. McD has Kyle Orton. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Dukes
07-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Can I still like McDaniels?

outdoor_miner
07-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Interesting that both Mecklenburg and Rod have put out some positive PR on McDaniels the last couple days. I wonder if Pat is calling in favors to try and drum up support for the new regime...

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Interesting that both Mecklenburg and Rod have put out some positive PR on McDaniels the last couple days. I wonder if Pat is calling in favors to try and drum up support for the new regime...

If he did it was a good idea.

Pseudofool
07-14-2009, 05:23 PM
As much as I support both; the comparison is totally inflated and surface-level at best. Give me a break. I don't even want to put McD in the same sentence as Obama.

Archer81
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Jesus...Ezekiel...Jesus...

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
As much as I support both; the comparison is totally inflated and surface-level at best. Give me a break. I don't even want to put McD in the same sentence as Obama.

i think it was intended to be an "on the surface" comparison. similar situations, except in obamas case, a much grander scale.

broncosteven
07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
I still think my comparision of the Stalin purges of the 1930's is more apt to the turnover this offseason than a comparison to Obama.

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I still think my comparision of the Stalin purges of the 1930's is more apt to the turnover this offseason than a comparison to Obama.

let it go.

broncosteven
07-14-2009, 05:41 PM
let it go.

Not until McStalin earns it with the 20+ new faces he turned over this season.

Last year I mocked KFC for doing the same thing as we are going through this year. I can't laugh at Herm last year then say McStalin is doing the right thing this year.

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Last year I mocked KFC for doing the same thing as we are going through this year. I can't laugh at Herm last year then say McStalin is doing the right thing this year.

you think this team didnt NEED a ton of new faces, particularly on defense and special teams? we had a ton of draft picks this year too, and considering theree is 30% minimum turnover on every nfl roster every year, whats the big deal with mcdaniels doing the same thing on a team that needed a lot of help?

footstepsfrom#27
07-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Karl took to many helmet to helmet hits.

Inkana7
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Miami had 30+ new faces last year. They went to the playoffs.

Don't be a fool.

TDmvp
07-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Karl Mecklenburg compares Josh McDaniels to Barack Obama

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/492/shootthedog.jpg

chadta
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
The only thing Karl failed to mention was that Reeves had Elway for three AFC titles in four years. McD has Kyle Orton. BIG DIFFERENCE.

the bigger question is who does obama have ? ROFL!

watermock
07-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Hillary and the Bankers.

Oh, and good 'ole Joe.

Drek
07-14-2009, 08:16 PM

15+ of those guys are still unemployed, maybe consider that before you go crying about all the turnover from a 7-9 team that hasn't made the playoffs in three years.

Hamrob
07-14-2009, 09:44 PM
15+ of those guys are still unemployed, maybe consider that before you go crying about all the turnover from a 7-9 team that hasn't made the playoffs in three years.I'd be fine with it all...had Mickey-D utilized a little maturity and kept the franchise QB.

After that...he's got some proven to do!

Inkana7
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
I'd be fine with it all...had Mickey-D utilized a little maturity and kept the franchise QB.

He would have been kept had the franchise QB utilized a little maturity.

Meck77
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Hmm......One could argue they both mortgaged the future?..

Taco John
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Hmm......One could argue they both mortgaged the future?..

Meck breathes new life into the metaphor...

ghwk
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Karl for President or coach.

watermock
07-14-2009, 10:34 PM
'it's hard to believe we won 8 games with that D.

Does it surprise me half the D is gone? No.

What surprises me we spent 6 of 9 picks on offense, ranked #2., Then our '10 first on a nickle cb.

We're going to be bad on D again, and the offense better hope it can run the ball.

5-11 in a very bad division.

7-9 Popps and Co. will be wetting their diapers.

fdf
07-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Can I still like McDaniels?

Not if McDaniels in his first four months of office adds deficit spending of out 8trillion dollars over 10 years with no idea how to pay for it. That's deficit is bigger than all accumulated deficits of all american presnidents before Obama. Then he sends is Sec Treas around the world basically begging the Chinese and Saudias to keep buying US bonds because we are such a swell place. But why should they unless interest rates go up a lot. But if interest rates go up a lot, the recession takes a big dive downward.

Not if McDaniels starts spooning with known, anti-american bad guys like Hugo Chavez, Raoul Castro, and Zelaya and, of course the Obama's Dear Leader of Iran.

Fortunately, McDaniels is just a somewhat overconfident football coach while Obama believes him self to be a great man--almost Godlike--

Spider
07-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Karl will always have a special place for real Bronco fans , the way he laid out Marcus Allen is what legends are made of , and for someone drafted as late as he was , he is living proof that the underdog can make it ........

Spider
07-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Not if McDaniels in his first four months of office adds deficit spending of out 8trillion dollars over 10 years with no idea how to pay for it. That's deficit is bigger than all accumulated deficits of all american presnidents before Obama. Then he sends is Sec Treas around the world basically begging the Chinese and Saudias to keep buying US bonds because we are such a swell place. But why should they unless interest rates go up a lot. But if interest rates go up a lot, the recession takes a big dive downward.

Not if McDaniels starts spooning with known, anti-american bad guys like Hugo Chavez, Raoul Castro, and Zelaya and, of course the Obama's Dear Leader of Iran.

Fortunately, McDaniels is just a somewhat overconfident football coach while Obama believes him self to be a great man--almost Godlike-- are you always this full of **** , or was this inspired ?

broncocalijohn
07-15-2009, 01:48 AM

i agree cause Meck is a Hero as a Bronco and Obama hasnt played one down for us.

Taco John
07-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Obama as a slot receiver?

http://sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obama202008-31.jpg

TDmvp
07-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Obama as a slot receiver?

http://sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obama202008-31.jpg

http://www.prosportsmemorabilia.com/Images/Product/31-61/31-61331-F.jpg

dbfan21
07-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Young Leaders Promising Change
July 14th, 2009 - 1:26pm by Gray Caldwell

http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/09%20Blogs/mecklenburg_090714.jpg

Editorís Note: Broncos Ring of Famer Karl Mecklenburg will occasionally write a guest blog for DenverBroncos.com. In his first entry, he discusses the idea of change, both with the Broncos and the country as a whole.

Once a year when he felt our team had reached a plateau, right before he sent us off to run wind sprints Dan Reeves would drawl, ďMen, ya eitha gittin betta or ya gitten worse, ya cainít stay the same.Ē

Dan said a lot of things, some of which Iím still trying to figure out, but he was right about this. Change is inevitable, and through planning and effort change can be positive. The young cry out for change, impatient in their zeal to hurry the inevitable. The old fear change, forgetting the opportunity that they found in their early years hidden in the challenges of change.

Weíre in the middle of it now, with high unemployment, bank failures and bailout plans, with a new coach, quarterback and system for the Broncos. In the recent election, both presidential candidates insisted that they were the candidate of change. They actually agreed on something and neither one was lying. The United States and the Broncos will look very different in four years.

Wiill we adapt and change in the next four years as a football team and as a country? Remember, ďya eitha gittin betta or ya gitten worse, ya cainít stay the same.Ē Change scares us even though we know thereís opportunity in it. We think of past mistakes, knowing that every time we make a new decision a mistake is possible. We must also remember past successes as new blood and a refocused energy is applied to the age old problems of teamwork, blocking and tackling on the field, and the much more challenging problems the federal government faces.

I say give the new leaders a chance to lead. Both Josh McDaniels and President Obama have daunting tasks ahead of them. Both are young in age and young in experience, but both seem to understand the true value and power of teamwork. If they can consistently and clearly lead their teams by putting team success above any personal concerns, individual team members will buy into the team vision and anything is possible. Both men have made some early decisions which rankled the established and made some supporters question them, but that is the price of change.

When Dan Reeves coached us to three AFC championships in four years he didnít have the best system, and we werenít the most talented. We were the best team. We believed in each other and put the teamís passion to win first. It could happen again.

-Karl Mecklenburg

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/young-leaders-promising-change/

When it comes to the country and the Broncos, I hope it's the former and NOT the latter.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 06:31 AM
the bigger question is who does obama have ? ROFL!

Obama has Bush to thank for handing him a Cluster Yuck economy. Bush has proven to be like VD.....the gift that keeps on givng.:wiggle:

rastaman
07-15-2009, 06:33 AM
i agree cause Meck is a Hero as a Bronco and Obama hasnt played one down for us.

Who would you rather have as the Broncos HC.....GW Bush or Barrack Obama!:peace:

spdirty
07-15-2009, 06:49 AM

And whose fault is that? If he had a young Elway I wouldnt be surprised to see him try to trade him for Matt Cassell.

Anyway, its a good comparison by mecklenburg. They both suck.

Drek
07-15-2009, 07:06 AM
I'd be fine with it all...had Mickey-D utilized a little maturity and kept the franchise QB.

You'd be fine with it all?

So you're just fine with the team dumping Engelberger, Webster, Manuel, McCree, etc.?

You should be ecstatic. Jumping for joy levels of happy there. A massive win has been achieved just by jettisoning so many Shanahan pets in one off-season.

As for the franchise QB, last I checked he's the one who has been publicly caught in a lie, refused to talk with team officials, and in pretty much all other ways forced his way out of town. So many on this board are like the guy who's still bummed that his girlfriend dumped him months after the fact, when she's already living with the next guy.

BroncoBuff
07-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Anybody kinda get a lump when they see this photo ... ?

fdf
07-15-2009, 08:34 AM
are you always this full of **** , or was this inspired ?

The former.

55CrushEm
07-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Obama has Bush to thank for handing him a Cluster Yuck economy. Bush has proven to be like VD.....the gift that keeps on givng.:wiggle:

Tell me, rast......why is deficit spending under Bush and Reagan BAD.....but deficit spending under Obama good?

BTW, you can thank Barney Frank and many of the other idiots in Congress for the economic mess we're in, too. Just thought I'd let you know.

Lastly, what specifically is Obama doing that you believe will IMPROVE THE ECONOMY? Not what he's doing that will put more money in the pockets of poor people.....but what he's doing that WILL IMPROVE THE ECONOMY? Here's a hint.....raising taxes won't do it.....more government spending and bailouts won't do it.....so what will?

Spider
07-15-2009, 08:46 AM
The former.

well done

Spider
07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Tell me, rast......why is deficit spending under Bush and Reagan BAD.....but deficit spending under Obama good?

BTW, you can thank Barney Frank and many of the other idiots in Congress for the economic mess we're in, too. Just thought I'd let you know.

Lastly, what specifically is Obama doing that you believe will IMPROVE THE ECONOMY? Not what he's doing that will put more money in the pockets of poor people.....but what he's doing that WILL IMPROVE THE ECONOMY? Here's a hint.....raising taxes won't do it.....more government spending and bailouts won't do it.....so what will?

The biggest difference is where the economy was before the spending , then the programs the spending goes on

TailgateNut
07-15-2009, 09:08 AM

..or maybe, just maybe, there are positives in regards to McD.

TailgateNut
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
He would have been kept had the franchise QB utilized a little maturity.

:notworthy

Archer81
07-15-2009, 09:22 AM
The biggest difference is where the economy was before the spending , then the programs the spending goes on

Economy would be better off if nothing was done at all. There would not be a trillion dollar deficit and we would not be adding 3.7 trillion to the national debt...

I really miss football.

TailgateNut
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Economy would be better off if nothing was done at all.

Hilarious!

OABB
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM

killing the super wealthy that hoard their wealth at the expense of a middle class, or just taxing them more. I vote for the killing.

Spider
07-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Economy would be better off if nothing was done at all. There would not be a trillion dollar deficit and we would not be adding 3.7 trillion to the national debt...

I really miss football.

you get no points for being an Idiot ........
Besides we just bought a 79 thousand dollar 2007 w900 Kenworth from MHC Kenworth in Greeley Colorado .......they put me back in that t 600 and sold my pete....
things going better for us .........the t 600 I have will be gone before January ....

Spider
07-15-2009, 09:31 AM
big plan is by next summer to have 50 + rigs on the road

Crushaholic
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
The expectations for Obama were overinflated, as he was given rock star status from the beginning. McDaniels' expectations (according to some) are very much the opposite. Whether it's the lack of experience as a head coach or just an incessant despisal of everything Patriots, there are those who believe McDaniels will fail as a head coach.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Well according to Dick Cheney he has said on countless occassions that Reagan proved Deficits Dont Matter. According to your limited logic Obama should have done the "Hoover-Two-Step" and let the "Free Market" hash everything out....CORRECT!

Why in the hell should Obama keep the same failed conservative-Republican't Reaganomics economic agenda over the last 28 years, that dam near ushered in the 2nd Republican caused GREAT DEPRESSION??? In my opinion, President Obama did not go far enough with his economic recovery plan and it just could be his "Un-Doing" in the end. Obama should have rolled back the Reagan Tax Cuts for starters! he should return the trade tariff laws back to where they were from 1791-1978!

Obama should immediately repeal the NAFTA, WTO, CAFTA trade agreements, and he should continue to push thru legislation for tax breaks and incentives for Companies, Manufactures, and Corporations who are willing to return to the U.S. or just stay in the U.S. and not outsource to third world countries.

Just thought I'd let you know that the cause of Economic mess goes alot deeper than your sound byte comment (shame on you for not doing your homework!) There are about 25 culprits that played vital roles to cause the economic mess the world and the U.S. now finds itself in. Here are the culprits:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jan/26/road-ruin-recession-individuals-economy

Alan Greenspan, chairman of US Federal Reserve 1987- 2006
Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England
Bill Clinton, former US president
Gordon Brown, prime minister
George W Bush, former US president
Senator Phil Gramm

WALL STREET/BANKERS
Kathleen Corbet, former CEO, Standard & Poor's
Hank" Greenberg, AIG insurance group
Andy Hornby, former HBOS boss
Sir Fred Goodwin, former RBS boss
Steve Crawshaw, former B&B boss
Adam Applegarth, former Northern Rock boss
Dick Fuld, Lehman Brothers chief executive
Ralph Cioffi and Matthew Tannin
Lewis Ranieri
Joseph Cassano, AIG Financial Products
Chuck Prince, former Citi boss
Angelo Mozilo, Countrywide Financial
Stan O'Neal, former boss of Merrill Lynch
Jimmy Cayne, former Bear Stearns boss
OTHERS
John Tiner, FSA chief executive, 2003-07
The American public
Geir Haarde, Icelandic prime minister
Christopher Dodd, chairman, Senate banking committee

In my opinion, President Obama did not go far enough with his economic recovery plan and it just could be his "Un-Doing" in the end. Obama should have rolled back the Reagan Tax Cuts for starters! he should return the trade tariff laws back to where they were from 1791-1978!

Obama should immediately repeal the NAFTA, WTO, CAFTA insane trade agreements, and the President should continue to push thru legislation for tax breaks and incentives for AMERIAN Companies, Manufactures, and Corporations who are willing to return to the U.S. or just stay in the U.S. and not outsource to third world countries.

Obama should led the way to return Capitalism to a responsible and accountability entity. The President also needs to re-regulate Wall Street and the Banks back to the laws to where they were in 1978. And Obama must bring back the Glass-Steagall Act and the Smoot-Hartley Act.

NOW lets hear your suggestions.....what great ideas do you have that will return the U.S. to a creditor nation and first rate industrial power!!!

rastaman
07-15-2009, 10:55 AM
The expectations for Obama were overinflated, as he was given rock star status from the beginning. McDaniels' expectations (according to some) are very much the opposite. Whether it's the lack of experience as a head coach or just an incessant despisal of everything Patriots, there are those who believe McDaniels will fail as a head coach.

Bad comparison and medifore. McDaniels was not hired to save and lead the NFL, MLB, and the NBA out of Bankruptcy and ensure for its mere survival. McD must only turn one team into a winner vs all 3 professional sports franchise teams into winners and out of bankruptcy. Obama must lead an entire nation out of the financial abyss.

fdf
07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

I really miss football.

QFT.

Actually, the Cong Budget Office is estimating Obama's spending plan will add about 8 trillion dollars to the deficit over the next ten years. That's BEFORE health care.

Obama has left no room for the economy to recover. As soon as the economy starts back up, people will start borrowing money; but the feds will have already crowded them out of the borrowing market. Interest rates will skyrocket and abort the recovery. You just cannot add a trillion dollars a year in borrowing to the world economy and not profoundly affect interest rates.

We can already see the first phase of this in (1) the recent jump in treasury yields; (2) The 1 point jump in mortgage interest rates; and (3) Geithner running around the world begging the Chinese and Saudi's to keep lending Obama money. To all intents and purposes, we have already lost any real ability to control interest rates with the new structural deficit Obama has adopted. When and how much interest rates increase in this country is now in the hands of the Chinese, and to a lesser extent, the Saudi's. It didn't have to be that way. The only way around very high interest rates now is to print money. And down that path lies bigtime inflation.

I was a big critic of W's deficits. But Obama's deficits are jaw dropping and go as far as the eye can see.

To tie this into the original thread. Both Obama and McDaniels inherited a crappy situation. I hope McDaniels does a MUCH better job than Obama or we're looking at a series of 2-14 seasons for the next decade.

Meck77
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
[B]In my opinion, President Obama did not go far enough with his economic recovery plan and it just could be his "Un-Doing" in the end. Obama should have rolled back the Reagan Tax Cuts for starters! he should return the trade tariff laws back to where they were from 1791-1978!
]

Well they do say opinions are like aholes. Yup we should print up another trillion dollars of bogus money hoping that the Chinese or somebody will buy that debt. Brilliant.

sisterhellfyre
07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Well they do say opinions are like aholes. Yup we should print up another trillion dollars of bogus money hoping that the Chinese or somebody will buy that debt. Brilliant.

Why bother printing it? Paper is expensive. Just add a few more zeroes on the computer screen... it's what the Fed does now.

epicSocialism4tw
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Lord. I hope not.

Both guys come in with no experience and began making mistakes right off the bat.

Premier-Ace55
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM

for reall let it go