PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ink Cassel to long-term deal

BMarsh615
07-14-2009, 11:42 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/14/chiefs-ink-cassel-to-long-term-deal/
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/angel_kurikura/Comedy/omgonoz.gif

Beantown Bronco
07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
One of my friends just emailed me an unofficial confirmation of more than $10 mil a year.

footstepsfrom#27
07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Suckers

Hercules Rockefeller
07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Get your info from a real ****ing website.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4327067

6 years, $63M.

Garcia Bronco
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow...I would have waited for a quarter int he the season.

cmhargrove
07-14-2009, 11:52 AM

6 years, $63M.

Wow! he had better pan out, or Haley might get run out of town after a couple seasons. I guess you could say the same thing here in Denver, but at least we have freed up some dollars this year.

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow...I would have waited for a quarter int he the season.

it wouldn't make sense to do that...

they needed to get a deal done before the one year franchise tender hit...and the deadline for that is just around the corner...

no way they were gonna absorb 14-16 mil dollars for one year for that guy (cap hit of course)...

all in all though, the chiefs are going to regret ever going after that guy...

cutthemdown
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
big mistake to give an avg QB that kind of money. KC will end up having to look elsewhere for a qb. Cassal just a product of a great team and great coaching.

Tombstone RJ
07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I believe this is Piolis first big contract with someone who he brought in. This will set the tone for the future of the team. It's either a brilliant move by the new GM, or a complete bust. Much will be learned this coming season...

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 12:11 PM
if the contract is really for 60 mil over six years, doesn't that make him higher paid than Tom Brady?...

that's just plain scary...

broncosteven
07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
This is like us giving Orton a 60+ mil contract for 6 years. Neither guy has really proved anything anywhere.

The Joker
07-14-2009, 12:19 PM
That's a buttload of money...

Be interesting to see how Chiefs fan react to him if things don't go well this year. Jury is still out on whether Cassel is a long-term quality NFL starter, and going to a team with a much poorer supporting cast than he had in New England I can see him struggling at first.

Personally would have let him play with the tender. They have a low cap number as far as I know, so they could afford to absorb it for this year. Next year, you'll know a whole lot more about what you've got.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
i love it. this is like the Raiders ****ing themselves over for the next 5 years with the Hall and Walker contracts.

Beantown Bronco
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
if the contract is really for 60 mil over ten years, doesn't that make him higher paid than Tom Brady?...

that's just plain scary...

It's worse. It's 63 mil over SIX years, not ten.

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
It's worse. It's 63 mil over SIX years, not ten.

my bad..i meant six years...

but yea...thats just plain scary ain't it?...:spit:

montrose
07-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Has the market for resigning Orton after this type of season been set?

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Wow, that's a lot of cash. Huge gamble for the Chiefs, I hope it blows up in their faces.

broncofan2438
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
So does that mean McD wont try and trade away our stadium for him next year?

Rother8
07-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, that's a lot of cash. Huge gamble for the Chiefs, I hope it blows up in their faces.

right you are- maybe they're dropping lj to make some cap room??

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
right you are- maybe they're dropping lj to make some cap room??

Yeah not too sure about their cap situation, didn't they recover some room when they traded Gonzalez?

summerdenver
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM

6 years, $63M.

Thats a lot of money. They must be convinced that Cassel is the answer.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Thats a lot of money. They must be convinced that Cassel is the answer.

or just desperate Hilarious!

worm
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
This is like us giving Orton a 60+ mil contract for 6 years. Neither guy has really proved anything anywhere.

Not exactly the same. Both Scott and Josh have had extensive experience with Matt. Kyle is an unknown to the Denver staff at this point.

Scott's quote earlier this offseason was, "There is only one Tom Brady...and there is only one Matt Cassell".

Right or wrong. Both Josh and Scott are willing to do almost anything to get Matt after working day in and day out with the guy. Surely they both can't be that bad of a judge of this guy after all that. Right? Right?

400HZ
07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
That's only like a 3rd of the crap room that KC had available this year. If Cassel gets that, I wonder what Rivers and Eli get on their extensions this year? I bet they both end up around $100m over 6.

Beantown Bronco
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
That's only like a 3rd of the crap room that KC had available this year. If Cassel gets that, I wonder what Rivers and Eli get on their extensions this year? I bet they both end up around $100m over 6.

I had already heard $100 mil for Eli about 2 months ago, so this will only solidify that IMO.

Cutler and Bus have to be loving this as well.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Not exactly the same. Both Scott and Josh have had extensive experience with Matt. Kyle is an unknown to the Denver staff at this point.

Scott's quote earlier this offseason was, "There is only one Tom Brady...and there is only one Matt Cassell".

Right or wrong. Both Josh and Scott are willing to do almost anything to get Matt after working day in and day out with the guy. Surely they both can't be that bad of a judge of this guy after all that. Right? Right?

You make a good point, but I think the pressure is on them, too. They might be telling themselves what they want to hear. One thing's for sure though - expectations for Orton are nowhere near what they will be for Cassell.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
You guys rock. All you ever here is how McD made Cassell into a good NFL QB and then the Queefs sign him to a long term deal and all of the sudden Cassell sucks? I thought McD's ability to work with QB's is the reason we should be fine with Orton QBing the team instead of Cutler because of his coaching. Hell our very own coach WANTED Cassell, and tried to trade for him but was late to the party. So if our very own coach wanted him why is this such a bad move?

oubronco
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
<TABLE border=0 width=630><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Chiefs | Cassel contract details

</TD><TD width="20%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:02:23 -0700

Updating previous reports, John Clayton (http://www.kffl.com/link/125), of ESPN.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/9), reports the Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) have signed QB Matt Cassel (http://www.kffl.com/player/12088/nfl) to a six-year contract extension worth $63 million, according to a source. The deal includes $28 million in guaranteed money. Cassel will receive $40.5 million in the first three years of the contract.

thats alot of money in the first 3 years

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM

right now, i would say he would probably be looking at a deal in the 4 years 16million range, but if he has a big year here, it mightr get bumped to around 24million over the same time frame

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
You guys rock. All you ever here is how McD made Cassell into a good NFL QB and then the Queefs sign him to a long term deal and all of the sudden Cassell sucks? I thought McD's ability to work with QB's is the reason we should be fine with Orton QBing the team instead of Cutler because of his coaching. Hell our very own coach WANTED Cassell, and tried to trade for him but was late to the party. So if our very own coach wanted him why is this such a bad move?

Cassell is good in McDaniels system. in KC with no weapons a terrible line and different offensive schemes, it is a major gamble on whether he will succeed, and more than likely the Chiefs just ****ed themselves

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
right now, i would say he would probably be looking at a deal in the 4 years 16million range, but if he has a big year here, it mightr get bumped to around 24million over the same time frame

Hold up. Cassel just signed a 60 million dollars 6 year deal after having a solid year under BB and McD but some how Orton will only get 24 million over 4 if he has a big year? I bet if Orton has a big year its more 4 years for 40 million with just over have guaranteed if not more.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM

I just think it's risky, that's all. I am glad we didn't get Cassell. I wish we still had Jay, but between Cassell at 63m and whatever we are paying Orton, the latter is a lower risk stopgap that won't limit our ability to pay for a franchise QB in future (if we can find another one!). I don't believe Cassell will be anything special with his woobies taken away, and 63 million is a lot of dough.

broncofan2438
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
That sound you hear is McD crying. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Here's your starting QBs for the next three seasons:

2009: Orton
2010: Simms
2011: Brandstater or some other random mediocre QB we'll be told is a "good fit" for McD's system.

Welcome to years of mediocrity brought to you by Josh "System" McDaniels and Pat "Did Jay call?" Bowlen.

SoDak Bronco
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Scott Mitchell Part 2

broncosteven
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Scott Mitchell Part 2

Or that dude from the Jags who the Bills signed after one good game.

Ex-Broncos Fan
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Or that dude from the Jags who the Bills signed after one good game.

Rob "So Cal Surfer Bra" Johnson

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
:spit: WTF? Did he always look like this? Or did he get some kind of Kansas indoctrination??
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ec4f8488-6643-4d55-b21a-c0eb56cc0383.jpg

SportinOne
07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
This is hilarious. 10 million a year for Matt Cassell?? Hahahaha. You have to think that the possibility of McDaniels trying to sign him next offseason played a large part in the chiefs handing over that kind of cash.

I could be wrong but I think that puts him in the top 5 for NFL QB's.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Hold up. Cassel just signed a 60 million dollars 6 year deal after having a solid year under BB and McD but some how Orton will only get 24 million over 4 if he has a big year? I bet if Orton has a big year its more 4 years for 40 million with just over have guaranteed if not more.

i can't see it hapening that way. he might get more than 24 million but no way will he see a 10million a year deal.

cmhargrove
07-14-2009, 02:18 PM

2011: Brandstater or some other random mediocre QB we'll be told is a "good fit" for McD's system.

Welcome to years of mediocrity brought to you by Josh "System" McDaniels and Pat "Did Jay call?" Bowlen.

Here you go, thought this would help...

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
i can't see it hapening that way. he might get more than 24 million but no way will he see a 10million a year deal.
That seems to be where the bar is being set now so I think its something that we will see happen. If he throws for 4000 plus yards and 20 plus TDs that is what the market says he is worth.

RMT
07-14-2009, 02:27 PM
it wouldn't make sense to do that...

they needed to get a deal done before the one year franchise tender hit...and the deadline for that is just around the corner...

no way they were gonna absorb 14-16 mil dollars for one year for that guy (cap hit of course)...

all in all though, the chiefs are going to regret ever going after that guy...

the franchise deadline doesn't apply in Cassel's case because he was traded and the team that franchised him no longer had his rights.

summerdenver
07-14-2009, 02:28 PM
That's only like a 3rd of the crap room that KC had available this year. If Cassel gets that, I wonder what Rivers and Eli get on their extensions this year?

This is the best part of this news to me. I selfishly hope that SD will give a huge contract to Rivers and won't be able to resign Merriman, Cromortie & co.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Brace yourself but Brandstater won't be a NFL starter. History is against it.

montrose
07-14-2009, 02:33 PM
This is hilarious. 10 million a year for Matt Cassell?? Hahahaha. You have to think that the possibility of McDaniels trying to sign him next offseason played a large part in the chiefs handing over that kind of cash.

I could be wrong but I think that puts him in the top 5 for NFL QB's.

Adam Schefter reported than in surveying each of the 32 teams in the NFL, Cassel ranked in the top 7.

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
the franchise deadline doesn't apply in Cassel's case because he was traded and the team that franchised him no longer had his rights.

eh, the language in the CBA can be interpreted in multiple ways...

don't let them fool you...it's no coincidence the Chiefs hammered out this deal one day before the 7-15 deadline...

better safe than sorry...

Popps
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Adam Schefter reported than in surveying each of the 32 teams in the NFL, Cassel ranked in the top 7.

Yea, I mean... I'd like to laugh at the Chefs for this, but it's probably a smart move. It MAY be a little early. They could have let him play a few games first, but I think at this point... everyone needs to get it through their heads that Cassel has a lot of respect around the league with regards to his abilities.

McDaniels didn't enter talks for Cassel because they're buddies. He did it because he probably believes he's an eventual upgrade over Cutler at the position... and better suited to run the offense.

I HOPE this blows up in the Chiefs face, but I wouldn't consider it a stupid move, just maybe a bit early.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
:spit: WTF? Did he always look like this? Or did he get some kind of Kansas indoctrination??

Here is a projection for a year from now:

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Somewhere Josh McDaniels is crying ... :vermeil:

Rabb
07-14-2009, 02:52 PM
If McDaniels took a perennial backup and turned him into a very, very solid starter in that system what makes anyone think he cannot take a guy with some experience and proven tools and make him a success?

No, I am not saying he will be an all pro here, but maybe...JUST EFFING MAYBE, McDaniels has a plan and Orton is a part of it. I, for one, am excited to see it all come together and have a ton of faith because last time I checked I was an engineer, not a football coach/GM/owner.

Unfortunately no matter what happens the half that mourns for Cutler won't ever stop comparisons. Orton can go for 3500 yards and it won't be the 4k Jay broke off in our system. If Orton leads the team to 10 wins, it won't be the 11 that they had in New England so it must be our inadequate QB.

The bar isn't that high kids, the last couple years have been pretty painful to watch overall actually. If you ask me, this sets up pretty well for the new guys in town to prove some people wrong. I have faith in them whether I like the moves up until now or not. Why? What choice do I have? I could be pissed off all the time and waiting for the sky to fall or happy that football is about to start and I get to watch my favorite team play again.

Nobody will make me feel worse than I did when I realized we just ****ed away a monstrous divisional lead at the end of the year, especially not when it looks like the team is focusing on the right areas and the areas that should have been fixed years ago in defense and special teams. I would rather us have a losing record with guys that belong there, play as a team and show improvement than an 8-8 team that missed a sure playoff spot and divisional title with finger pointers and guys that have no business playing or coaching (not counting Shanny there).

Go Broncos

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Has anybody mentioned the irony that Cassel went to the chefs ... the team that knocked Brady out and made Cassel a very rich man?

Does Matt owe Bernard Pollard a car? A Rolex? What?

24champ
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Least the Broncos are doing the smart thing, waiting to see how their QB plays before extension talks begin.

Bronco Rob
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Cassel = Elvis Grbac & Steve Bono.....

Except that they won 13 games as starters.

:wiggle:

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
If McDaniels took a perennial backup and turned him into a very, very solid starter in that system what makes anyone think he cannot take a guy with some experience and proven tools and make him a success?

No, I am not saying he will be an all pro here, but maybe...JUST EFFING MAYBE, McDaniels has a plan and Orton is a part of it. I, for one, am excited to see it all come together and have a ton of faith because last time I checked I was an engineer, not a football coach/GM/owner.

Unfortunately no matter what happens the half that mourns for Cutler won't ever stop comparisons. Orton can go for 3500 yards and it won't be the 4k Jay broke off in our system. If Orton leads the team to 10 wins, it won't be the 11 that they had in New England so it must be our inadequate QB.

The bar isn't that high kids, the last couple years have been pretty painful to watch overall actually. If you ask me, this sets up pretty well for the new guys in town to prove some people wrong. I have faith in them whether I like the moves up until now or not. Why? What choice do I have? I could be pissed off all the time and waiting for the sky to fall or happy that football is about to start and I get to watch my favorite team play again.

Nobody will make me feel worse than I did when I realized we just ****ed away a monstrous divisional lead at the end of the year, especially not when it looks like the team is focusing on the right areas and the areas that should have been fixed years ago in defense and special teams. I would rather us have a losing record with guys that belong there, play as a team and show improvement than an 8-8 team that missed a sure playoff spot and divisional title with finger pointers and guys that have no business playing or coaching (not counting Shanny there).

Go Broncos

very nice...

i agree with all of that...

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Go Broncos
I mourn for Cutler, I'm a Grieving Widow. But that does NOT mean I think we're gonna suck, OR that I don't like Orton!

That simpleton transitive thinking is about to drive me crazy ... why can't you Jilted Fanboys understand that those are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS?!?!? Arrrggghhh :moody:

Br0nc0Buster
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
The Chiefs were in a tough spot, but I have serious questions about giving a guy who has never taken a snap for your team in live action a huge contract.

I think Cassel is gonna be pretty average for the Chiefs, which I guess is still an upgrade from what they had

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
That seems to be where the bar is being set now so I think its something that we will see happen. If he throws for 4000 plus yards and 20 plus TDs that is what the market says he is worth.

not likely. Cassel got this monster deal, because Pioli worried that if he got to FA next season, we would bring him to Denver and they would have paid a guy 15 million for 1 season. it is higher than it should have been so that there were no possibilities of him leaving.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Go Broncos

i think if Orton has a season where he gets us to 8+ wins, throws for something like 3500 yards, 25TDs and 12INTs that he will be our starter for at least the next 3 years.

short of him really ****ting the bed, he is our guy for the immediate future

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Cassel = Elvis Grbac & Steve Bono.....

Except that they won 13 games as starters.

it's the Matt Schaub scenario again. 1 good year in relief and a big contract to suck.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Has anybody mentioned the irony that Cassel went to the chefs ... the team that knocked Brady out and made Cassel a very rich man?

Does Matt owe Bernard Pollard a car? A Rolex? What?

that is some sweet irony. and i agree, Cassel owes Pollard something.

24champ
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
That's the good thing about WPI....you pay 99.99 a year to get inside news broken from elsewhere.Ha!

Bob's your Information Minister
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Watch your futures....END!

broncofan2438
07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Here you go, thought this would help...

I actually saw this post on denverpost.com....guess I should had put that...calm down turbo

summerdenver
07-14-2009, 03:57 PM

When did he say that? I have heard him say something on the lines of "There are people in Patriots organization who think Cassel is a top 5 QB". I have not heard him say anything about this as being a league wide opinion.

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 04:00 PM

for some reason i can't stop eating peanut M&Ms...

i wash it down with ice cold milk...

Lolad
07-14-2009, 04:01 PM

McD reminds me of shanny in that he was able to take a couple of middle of the pack RBs and turn them into superstars. McIdiot is now tryng the same thing but with QBs.

For the sake of the Broncos I hope he proves me wrong. I plan on going to at least 4 games this year, hope he doesn't make me regret it.

24champ
07-14-2009, 04:02 PM

How come WPI didn't pick this up before it was announced?

Popps
07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
How come WPI didn't pick this up before it was announced?

Bob was at U-Gas getting refills on nachos. Except, they ran out of nacho cheese and he had to wait for the truck to arrive.

Otherwise, he breaks this story... no question.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 04:08 PM
not likely. Cassel got this monster deal, because Pioli worried that if he got to FA next season, we would bring him to Denver and they would have paid a guy 15 million for 1 season. it is higher than it should have been so that there were no possibilities of him leaving.

Orton will be a FA at the end of next year and if we tag him its a 15 million dollar deal for one year. Cassel just set the bar for future FA's thats how it works. If you think that Orton will settle for 4 years 24 if he has a 4000 yard plus season and 20 plus TDs when Cassel just got more then that for coming of a similar year your nuts. Even if we split what I think (10) to your (6) million dollar a year figure we are still looking at 4 years 32 million dollars with a good portion of that guaranteed.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM

well it is official, Cassel will be a bust.

check his documented past on a previous Chiefs QB who is winless for his career.
Man, look at this. Talent just oozes out of this kid. What a fabulous rocket he throws here off his back foot. On target, too.

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1435/webb34yardreceptionfromon3.gif (http://imageshack.us)

07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
There's nothing particularly wrong with that post. Croyle had a lot of talent. He just couldn't stay healthy.

rastaman
07-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Sure why not....Orton is just ready to explode in 2009 and erase his journyman status and put the cursed years in Chi-town to rest forever. Bowlen! Get ready to open your wallet!:wiggle:

rastaman
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM
McD reminds me of shanny in that he was able to take a couple of middle of the pack RBs and turn them into superstars. McIdiot is now tryng the same thing but with QBs.

For the sake of the Broncos I hope he proves me wrong. I plan on going to at least 4 games this year, hope he doesn't make me regret it.

Don't worry, McDisaster has his eyes set on the top 3 or 5 QB's in the 2010 Draft. Orton is just a stop gap solution and is not a franchise QB. How much would you pay Orton as your career backup QB? I'd sign him for 5 years at 2 million per year.

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Don't worry, McDisaster has his eyes set on the top 3 or 5 QB's in the 2010 Draft. Orton is just a stop gap solution and is not a franchise QB.

how can u possibly know that without seeing him play a single down for us?...

[pssst...here's a hint...you can't]

rastaman
07-14-2009, 05:03 PM
how can u possibly know that without seeing him play a single down for us?...

[pssst...here's a hint...you can't]

Pssst! Why do you think Chicago was in such a hurry to get rid of Limatation-Orton?? You don't let your franchise qb get away.......unless of course you're the Broncos. Here's a hint.....Orton is a Journeyman NFL QB.

elsid13
07-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Are you sure you have the right writer? Peter King made that claim and some in ESPiN also reported it. But if he was really in the top 7 wouldn't he got a helluva lot more interest?

Tombstone RJ
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Pssst! Why do you think Chicago was in such a hurry to get rid of Limatation-Orton?? You don't let your franchise qb get away.......unless of course you're the Broncos. Here's a hint.....Orton is a Journeyman NFL QB.

Pssst, Chicago didn't just let Orton go, they exchanged Orton and some picks in a trade with Denver for Cutler. In order for a trade to work, you have to trade value in order to receive value. Chicago was in a hurry to dump Grossman after they got Cutler, so what does that tell you?

elsid13
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Pssst, Chicago didn't just let Orton go, they exchanged Orton and some picks in a trade with Denver for Cutler. In order for a trade to work, you have to trade value in order to receive value. Chicago was in a hurry to dump Grossman after they got Cutler, so what does that tell you?

Grossman was FA before the deal occurred.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Sure why not....Orton is just ready to explode in 2009 and erase his journyman status and put the cursed years in Chi-town to rest forever. Bowlen! Get ready to open your wallet!:wiggle:

He has played for two NFL teams.

Bronco Rob
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
it's the Matt Schaub scenario again. 1 good year in relief and a big contract to suck.

aka Scott Mitchell...

Gcver2ver3
07-14-2009, 07:11 PM

psst...who cares what chicago thinks...since when have they been the gold standard of evaluating QBs?...lol

and just to help u out a lil further...the question i asked you is rhetorical because you nor i or anyone else can tell the future...

let's actually see what he does before playin armchair QB prognosticator...

boppool
07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
aka Scott Mitchell...

No doubt about it, Chefs really set themselves back few years at least, IMO.:~ohyah!:

Rabb
07-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I mourn for Cutler, I'm a Grieving Widow. But that does NOT mean I think we're gonna suck, OR that I don't like Orton!

That simpleton transitive thinking is about to drive me crazy ... why can't you Jilted Fanboys understand that those are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS?!?!? Arrrggghhh :moody:

first off, I don't put the two together...never did I say that I thought the Cutler widows also think the team will suck without him

what I said was, there will be unfair comparisons until the cows come home

c'mon Buff, you are smarter than that....don't put words in my mouth

FireFly
07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Like others I'm sure, my main concern is what this means when we try to sign Orton to a long term deal in a couple of months...

watermock
07-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah! Sign Orton to 70 million!

We don't need no stinking draft choices!

07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't think some of you even comprehend how well Cassel played last year.

24champ
07-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Hey Bob, how come WPI didn't get the scoop?ROFL!

BMarsh615
07-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Early in the season the Patriots ran a conventional NFL offense, with Cassel primarily aligned under center. They used the shotgun only as an occasional changeup or, as many teams do, in long-yardage situations.

It became evident Cassel was not particularly comfortable dropping back from center. He often seemed rushed and hurried, with a tendency to quickly lose his reading definition. That's why he ran so frequently. He was not seeing the field with clarity, and his instincts compelled him to leave the pocket whether it was necessary or not.

I remember breaking down Cassel's third start, the Patriots' victory over the 49ers in early October. He was very mechanical and robotic in his progressions and reads. If he could determine his throw based on the pre-snap read, he made it. If he couldn't, and he had to process information as he dropped, he struggled. As a result, he did not show a lot of patience in the pocket, often moving directly into the pass rush. That's the main reason Cassel was sacked so often in the first half of the season.

In addition, Cassel wasn't demonstrating the willingness to pull the trigger on tighter throws at the intermediate and deeper levels. Those are the kinds of plays that work off five- and seven-step drops with the quarterback under center.

What the Patriots learned as the season progressed was that Cassel was far more comfortable and relaxed playing in the shotgun. Their overtime loss to the Jets in mid-November solidified that belief. The Patriots fell behind 24-6 in the second quarter, and from that point on, Cassel was exclusively in the shotgun.

That defeat was the first of six consecutive games in which 88 percent of Cassel's pass attempts came out of the shotgun. The shotgun spread, often with three wide receivers, stretched the field horizontally. And the ability of the Patriots' outstanding coaching staff to dictate with formations, shifts and motions allowed Cassel to get rid of the ball decisively. It was predominantly a short passing game, with the throw defined quickly and the ball coming out fast.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-02-15/maximizing-matt-shotgun-triggered-cassels-second-half-surge

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/09000d5d810c891e/32-in-32-Kansas-City-Chiefs

Florida_Bronco
07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey Bob, how come WPI didn't get the scoop?ROFL!

Because they don't have any inside sources.

24champ
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Because they don't have any inside sources.

but...but...but...Nick "erroneous one" Athan has "inside sources"....

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Early in the season the Patriots ran a conventional NFL offense, with Cassel primarily aligned under center. They used the shotgun only as an occasional changeup or, as many teams do, in long-yardage situations.

It became evident Cassel was not particularly comfortable dropping back from center. He often seemed rushed and hurried, with a tendency to quickly lose his reading definition. That's why he ran so frequently. He was not seeing the field with clarity, and his instincts compelled him to leave the pocket whether it was necessary or not.

I remember breaking down Cassel's third start, the Patriots' victory over the 49ers in early October. He was very mechanical and robotic in his progressions and reads. If he could determine his throw based on the pre-snap read, he made it. If he couldn't, and he had to process information as he dropped, he struggled. As a result, he did not show a lot of patience in the pocket, often moving directly into the pass rush. That's the main reason Cassel was sacked so often in the first half of the season.

In addition, Cassel wasn't demonstrating the willingness to pull the trigger on tighter throws at the intermediate and deeper levels. Those are the kinds of plays that work off five- and seven-step drops with the quarterback under center.

What the Patriots learned as the season progressed was that Cassel was far more comfortable and relaxed playing in the shotgun. Their overtime loss to the Jets in mid-November solidified that belief. The Patriots fell behind 24-6 in the second quarter, and from that point on, Cassel was exclusively in the shotgun.

That defeat was the first of six consecutive games in which 88 percent of Cassel's pass attempts came out of the shotgun. The shotgun spread, often with three wide receivers, stretched the field horizontally. And the ability of the Patriots' outstanding coaching staff to dictate with formations, shifts and motions allowed Cassel to get rid of the ball decisively. It was predominantly a short passing game, with the throw defined quickly and the ball coming out fast.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-02-15/maximizing-matt-shotgun-triggered-cassels-second-half-surge

http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/09000d5d810c891e/32-in-32-Kansas-City-Chiefs

I hope we stay out of the shotgun cause Orton isn't that great at it.... from another thread.

I know its a different system but Orton while in the shotgun threw three TDs to six INTs. Comp % drops big time. While throwing in a two wide set his YPA is 7.41 while in the three to four wide sets it drops to 5.73. He tossed six TDs and five INTs in the two back set. He did throw ten TDs to seven INTs in the three to four wide sets, but his sacks went from five in the two wide to twenty one in the multiple sets.
Its a thing of concern when we are now going to throw from the shotgun and use three to four wide sets more then he is used to in the pros.

SoCalBronco
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
No doubt about it, Chefs really set themselves back few years at least, IMO.:~ohyah!:

Not really.

They haven't really had anything at QB the last few years so it can't get worse.

They did pay him alot of money, however, the Chiefs are perennially WAY under the cap, so they can afford to take the risk without being put in a situation where it could lead to cap hell if its a wrong move.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I hope we stay out of the shotgun cause Orton isn't that great at it.... from another thread.

I know its a different system but Orton while in the shotgun threw three TDs to six INTs. Comp % drops big time. While throwing in a two wide set his YPA is 7.41 while in the three to four wide sets it drops to 5.73. He tossed six TDs and five INTs in the two back set. He did throw ten TDs to seven INTs in the three to four wide sets, but his sacks went from five in the two wide to twenty one in the multiple sets.
Its a thing of concern when we are now going to throw from the shotgun and use three to four wide sets more then he is used to in the pros.

it is hard to gauge what Orton is good or bad at, or anything about his game considering the utter crap he played with and was coached by. i truly think it is going to blow people's minds seeing Orton playing on a team with true offensive talent that can give him time to throw the ball nand weapons that can catch the ball and help him out.

SlipperyPete
07-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I HOPE this blows up in the Chiefs face, but I wouldn't consider it a stupid move, just maybe a bit early.

IMO, the timing is perfect, but only because of the guaranteed money Cassel took. People are talking about $60 million and whatever, but the $28 million guaranteed is all that matters.

If Cassel played this year and proved himself worthy of a big contract, I'm sure he'd get more than $28 million guaranteed. Stafford's guarantee was reportedly for $40-something million and he hasn't played a single snap.

On the other hand, KC was already guaranteed to pay Cassel $15 million because of the franchise tag. If they didn't sign him to a contract and franchised him again next year, it would cost over $15 million. That would bring the total to over $30 million in guarantees.

Getting him now for $28 million guaranteed ends up costing them less than either of those two options. Cassel seemingly gave in quite a bit, but you can't really blame a guy who's been making backup money all his career not wanting to play chicken.

BMarsh615
07-14-2009, 10:35 PM

That is weird that his stats break down like that. Like BM4E said, a lot of it had to do with what he had around him. Having Marty Booker, Devin Hester, Rashied Davis, and Brandon Lloyd spread out in 4 WR sets isn't really great for a QB.

Everything that I have read on Orton says he would thrive in the Shotgun. The best game he played last year was against the Vikings... The Bears had him come out in the no huddle on the first series and stayed in the Shotgun for the majority of the game.

Orton definitely has more experience dropping back than Cassel does. The Bears lined up with a TE and a FB or in 2 TE sets the majority of the time.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
it is hard to gauge what Orton is good or bad at, or anything about his game considering the utter crap he played with and was coached by. i truly think it is going to blow people's minds seeing Orton playing on a team with true offensive talent that can give him time to throw the ball nand weapons that can catch the ball and help him out.

I don't have a problem with Orton, but I am worried that he does struggle in multi set formations and out of the gun, when out of college he was said to be better in the spread offense. With Marshall still on the team I don't think a QB in the NFL couldn't do well here. There is just too much talent around them to not do well.

summerdenver
07-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Not really.

They haven't really had anything at QB the last few years so it can't get worse.

They did pay him alot of money, however, the Chiefs are perennially WAY under the cap, so they can afford to take the risk without being put in a situation where it could lead to cap hell if its a wrong move.

And if he bombs in KC they can always trade him to Denver for the going rate for a QB - 2 first round picks and a Kyle Orton.......

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 10:55 PM
first off, I don't put the two together...never did I say that I thought the Cutler widows also think the team will suck without him

what I said was, there will be unfair comparisons until the cows come home

c'mon Buff, you are smarter than that....don't put words in my mouth

Actually yeah, sorry ... read it too quick.

(I just looked at it and I meant to respond to a different post actually)

BMarsh615
07-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Where are you getting your split stats from? ESPN's are not matching up with what you are saying.

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Where are you getting your split stats from? ESPN's are not matching up with what you are saying.

Thats why I deleted it I got messed up. Poof post gone.

BMarsh615
07-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Now its gone.:thumbsup:

DBroncos4life
07-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Now its gone.:thumbsup:

some how I got down to the pass per play thing on Orton's. I was starting to think he really sucked. I was in shock :)

worm
07-14-2009, 11:07 PM
.. however, the Chiefs are perennially WAY under the cap, so they can afford to take the risk without being put in a situation where it could lead to cap hell if its a wrong move.

Yes, in the past. However, the Chiefs decision makers have changed as much as the Broncos. King Carl's claim to fame was that he put butts in the seats and had a good bottom line for the Hunts.

It will be interesting to see how much Paoli's fiscal approach differs from Carls.

Either way, a good bit of Paolis rep is on the line. He was in a position to know him very well. If this flops, it will be scrutinized very hard.

boltaneer
07-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Pioli = the new King Carl...

And I'm loving every second of it!

cutthemdown
07-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Knowing Chiefs luck he plays just good enough to not suck, but not well enough to matter.

Jens1893
07-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Orton will be a FA at the end of next year and if we tag him its a 15 million dollar deal for one year. Cassel just set the bar for future FA's thats how it works. If you think that Orton will settle for 4 years 24 if he has a 4000 yard plus season and 20 plus TDs when Cassel just got more then that for coming of a similar year your nuts. Even if we split what I think (10) to your (6) million dollar a year figure we are still looking at 4 years 32 million dollars with a good portion of that guaranteed.

Unless there´s a new CBA Orton will only be a RFA. He´s entering his fifth NFL season and in order to become a UFA in an uncapped year you have to have six accrued seasons.

elsid13
07-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Unless there´s a new CBA Orton will only be a RFA. He´s entering his fifth NFL season and in order to become a UFA in an uncapped year you have to have six accrued seasons.

Which is what I thought.

Most like it 2010 Orton Staring QB, 2011 Draft a New QB, Orton Starting, 2012 New QB for the Broncos. Maybe an early exist from the playoffs in 2011.

Rabb
07-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Actually yeah, sorry ... read it too quick.

(I just looked at it and I meant to respond to a different post actually)

all good friend, go Broncos

Bronco Rob
07-15-2009, 07:09 AM

after going 6-26 there isn't much more room to go in kansas City.

Hilarious!

Bronco Rob
07-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Matt Cassel’s new contract makes me appreciate Randy Moss, arguably the greatest football player of our lifetime.

Check that. Moss might be the most influential football player of any lifetime. You could argue he’s better than Jim Brown, John Elway, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Rice and Joe Montana.

I know. No one likes Randy Moss. He’s aloof and lazy. He plays with a swagger that comes off as disrespect. He’s never won a Super Bowl.

None of that justifies overlooking or minimizing his impact.

Matt Cassel, a backup at Southern California for five years, a backup in the NFL for four years, just cashed in for $60 million thanks to Randy Moss. Cassel joins a crew of well-known quarterbacks who have had their profiles (and sometimes bank accounts) elevated thanks to the most talented wide receiver to ever play the game.

After just one season of playing alongside Moss in New England, Cassel went from unheralded scrub to a man with a six-year contract worth $60 million-plus, which includes $28 million in guaranteed cash and $40 million over the first three years.

Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Daunte Culpepper, Kerry Collins, Tom Brady and Chad Pennington are chuckling. They’ve all ridden the Randy Moss gravy train.

In 1998, Moss’ rookie year, Cunningham and the Vikings used Moss to win 15 of 16 regular-season games and set a plethora of NFL offensive records.

In 1999, George resurrected his career, replacing Cunningham midway through the season and throwing for nearly 3,000 yards and 23 TDs in 10 starts.

In 2000, Culpepper established himself as a superstar, tossing 33 TD passes and for more than 3,700 yards in just his second NFL season.

In 2005, Collins hopped on the Randy Moss bandwagon in Oakland, picking up 3,700 passing yards and 20 TDs in a misguided Raiders offense.

And as you know, Tom Brady took control of the Moss circus two years ago in New England and eclipsed damn near every passing and scoring record imaginable. The Patriots rocked through the regular season undefeated and were considered the greatest NFL team of all-time until the Giants ambushed New England in the Super Bowl.

Oh, I almost forgot the spectacular 1997 college season Pennington put together at Marshall winging the ball to Randy Moss. The Thundering Herd jumped to Division I that season and clowned every school in the Mid-American Conference because of the impossible-to-slow Pennington-to-Moss connection.

So Matt Cassel is in excellent company when it comes to maximizing his time with Randy Moss. A season ago, Cassel wiped off eight years of rust and managed to lob just enough rainbows to Moss and Wes Welker to convince a few general managers that a USC backup was good enough to be an NFL franchise quarterback.

I’m not going to bag on Cassel. I honestly don’t have a clue whether he’s worth the money. I do know he was the one quarterback in this whole group who regularly struggled locating Moss with the long ball.

But, again, this column isn’t really about Cassel and whether he’s the right long-term move for the Chiefs. We’ll find that out over the next couple of years.

This column is about Randy Moss. He deserves to be regarded as one of the 15 or 20 best players of all-time. It’s ridiculous that he’s never won the league’s MVP award. He should’ve won the award in 1998 outright and should’ve shared the award with Tom Brady in 2007.

Moss reminds me of Shaquille O’Neal. Shaq has one MVP award and four NBA titles. Steve Nash has two MVP awards and no NBA Finals appearances.

In his prime, we took O’Neal for granted because he was so much bigger and more dominant than his competitors. We didn’t think it was fair.

We’ve made the same mistake with Randy Moss. Not since Jim Brown has a single offensive player had the kind of impact Moss has on the game.

Is he lazy? Does he take plays off? Yes and yes.

You still have to account for Moss on every single snap. He dictates and limits what a defense can do. And he’s made a bunch of quarterbacks rich and famous.

I hope Cassel sends Randy a thank-you note when he takes his $28 million to the bank.

ROFL! Ha!

redrage
07-15-2009, 08:14 AM
I didn't read the entire thread, so i don't know if any KC fans have given their 2 cents, but here's mine:

If KC hadn't traded for Cassel, would they have looked for a QB with the #3 pick in the draft, possibly Sanchez? Likely.

If they had taken Sanchez instead of trading for Cassel, is this contract out of line with what they would have had to pay Sanchez? Not really.

Some may argue that Sanchez is more gifted and worth the extra gamble, but the fact that Pioli has been with Cassel for the last few years and has seen how he works, prepares, and interacts with his teammates, he has WAY more information about Cassel's ability to succeed than Sanchez who only started for one year at USC, BTW.

Sure Cassel likely isn't going to put up numbers like he did with New England, but his numbers weren't really that far off from what Thigpen did for KC last season. Cassel obviously won't have Gonzo, but he can't help but be more accurate than Thigpen.

I won't go so far to say I love the move and the contract, but I don't hate it either. I think he'll turn out to be a solid starter. Sadly, this contract is about in line for what an average starter commands nowadays (didn't Matt Schaub get a similar one with less playing time?)

With his work ethic and atheticism, he may end up being more. We'll see.

Crushaholic
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ec4f8488-6643-4d55-b21a-c0eb56cc0383.jpg

The Chiefs are in Missouri, thank you very much...
;)

boltaneer
07-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I didn't read the entire thread, so i don't know if any KC fans have given their 2 cents, but here's mine:

If KC hadn't traded for Cassel, would they have looked for a QB with the #3 pick in the draft, possibly Sanchez? Likely.

If they had taken Sanchez instead of trading for Cassel, is this contract out of line with what they would have had to pay Sanchez? Not really.

Some may argue that Sanchez is more gifted and worth the extra gamble, but the fact that Pioli has been with Cassel for the last few years and has seen how he works, prepares, and interacts with his teammates, he has WAY more information about Cassel's ability to succeed than Sanchez who only started for one year at USC, BTW.

Sure Cassel likely isn't going to put up numbers like he did with New England, but his numbers weren't really that far off from what Thigpen did for KC last season. Cassel obviously won't have Gonzo, but he can't help but be more accurate than Thigpen.

I won't go so far to say I love the move and the contract, but I don't hate it either. I think he'll turn out to be a solid starter. Sadly, this contract is about in line for what an average starter commands nowadays (didn't Matt Schaub get a similar one with less playing time?)

With his work ethic and atheticism, he may end up being more. We'll see.

If Cassel can put up better numbers than Thigpen did last year I'll be shocked.

Bronco Rob
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Bono...uh I mean Grbac errrrrrr..Cassel won't have the luxury of throwing to Tony Gonzalez like pigpen did.

:rofl:

redrage
07-15-2009, 03:50 PM
That's not really the point. The point is between Cassel, Thigpen and Sanchez (The three likeliest options for KC), Cassel is likely the best suited to deal with an offense sans Gonzalez.

No way Sanchez succeeds his rookie year, much less with an offense like KC's, and Thigpen LEANED on Gonzo heavily last season and STILL threw under 55%. He got some good experience and may end up developing into something down the road. Cassel spent three seasons learning how to prepare from the best in the game. You don't forget that your own coach thought highly of him do you?

No I don't expect he'll have the year he did last season, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable. Hell, KC was one of the best passing teams in the league with Trent Green. Who were the WR's? It's about the O-line and scheme. I think KC's O-ine will be improved this season. Cassel is the least of my worries for the offense.

As for the defense....BIG ?????

redrage
07-15-2009, 03:53 PM

18 TD's and 12 INT's?

I think he can do that.

DHallblows
07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I enjoy that everyone over at The Planet was making fun of Kaylore's poll about signing Orton early and saying THEIR new staff wouldn't be that dumb to do that with Cassel......
*cough* Hilarious!

boltaneer
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
18 TD's and 12 INT's?

I think he can do that.

You do. I don't.

12 TDs and 18 INTs is more like my prediction.

Rock Chalk
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM

Except both have winning records in teh NFL...

rbackfactory80
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Dumb move in my estimation.

07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I enjoy that everyone over at The Planet was making fun of Kaylore's poll about signing Orton early and saying THEIR new staff wouldn't be that dumb to do that with Cassel......
*cough* Hilarious!

No one was saying that.

The difference between Orton and Cassel is that Pioli wanted Cassel.

Orton came to the Broncos as a throw-in with the draft picks that Cutler commanded.

Of course we all know which quarterback your head coach would prefer.

DHallblows
07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I'll just ignore the fact you lied in your first sentence trying to prove a point, because people did...

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
18 TD's and 12 INT's?

I think he can do that.

how many of those TD passes did Gonzo catch last year? because i dont see anyone on the roster that is going to step up and take over his contributions.

so which one of your glorious receiving talents is going to give the Chiefs what Gonzo did?

i can't see any possible way Cassel gives what Thigpen did last season.

07-15-2009, 11:26 PM
i can't see any possible way Cassel gives what Thigpen did last season.

Cassel is a much more accurate passer than Thigpen. But yeah, there's no way he could possibly do as well.

BroncoMan4ever
07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Cassel is a much more accurate passer than Thigpen. But yeah, there's no way he could possibly do as well.

i don't give a **** if it is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in KC. no one is going to succeed there. you have Bowe as the lone offensive threat. and don't try to say LJ is a threat, he has been garbage since he got his money.

Gonzo was responsible for about half of the Chiefs receiving output last year. there is no one on the team to pick up that slack. and with Bowe as the only option, teams are just going to tee off on Cassel and double Bowe.

he was responsible for 10 of the teams 22 receiving TDs(31 total TDs) almost half the scoring output from the receiving game and a third of the total offensive scoring output.

doesn't matter who you put in at QB, he is doomed with no weapons

07-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Gonzo was responsible for about half of the Chiefs receiving output last year.

You can't even do simple math. Why enter into a debate with me?

Bronco Rob
07-16-2009, 07:37 AM

Heck..

I'd look accurate throwing the ball to Moss, Welker etc etc...

:thumbs: