PDA

View Full Version : Tom Nalen came into my store today

montrose
07-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Awesome guy, has lost a ton of weight - I'd guess 50 lbs. or more. Asked him what he thought of the changes at Dove Valley and got a Tom Nalen-esque answer: "I've got no clue but something had to change." Knowing his personality, I figured he wouldn't want to answer too many Broncos questions. Anyhow, just wanted to pass it along to someone.

PRBronco
07-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Awesome :) Did he cut his hair?

montrose
07-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Awesome :) Did he cut his hair?

It's shorter than I remember seeing it when he was playing, he's still got a patchy beard though.

kmonty
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM

tsiguy96
07-13-2009, 11:31 PM
he doesnt seem like someone who likes talking to anyone. about anything. ever.

BroncoBuff
07-13-2009, 11:35 PM
What did he buy?

BroncoBuff
07-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Awesome guy, has lost a ton of weight - I'd guess 50 lbs. or more. Asked him what he thought of the changes at Dove Valley and got a Tom Nalen-esque answer: "I've got no clue but something had to change."
Now that's interesting ... hmmm...

worm
07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
H.o.f.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 12:12 AM

I agree! I'm kind of surprised and I think that says a lot. For a guy who was definitely one of Shanahan's favorites to say something like that is... surprising.

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 12:18 AM
was nalen bitten by the shanahan injury bug...what was his exact injury that took him out anyway?

kmonty
07-14-2009, 12:19 AM
was nalen bitten by the shanahan injury bug...what was his exact injury that took him out anyway?

knee

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 12:21 AM
knee

torn biceps too right? or is that someone else im getting confused with...

summerdenver
07-14-2009, 12:24 AM
H.o.f.

He was one of top 3 centers during his time but he will probably not make it.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 12:26 AM
torn biceps too right? or is that someone else im getting confused with...

Yeah he played that entire San Diego game with a torn biceps. What a brutal game to suffer through in that much pain. Can you imagine? What a ****ing warrior.

worm
07-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree! I'm kind of surprised and I think that says a lot. For a guy who was definitely one of Shanahan's favorites to say something like that is... surprising.

I guess I don't see the revelation.

If you lose...then things need to change. When you change personnel and coordinators and it doesn't get you back to where you want to be...then the HC should be gone.

It is a results driven league. Win or lose your job.

Inkana7
07-14-2009, 12:42 AM

If you lose...then things need to change. When you change personnel and coordinators and it doesn't get you back to where you want to be...then the HC should be gone.

And that's the problem. People don't see the losses, they just see Shanahan.

Mr. Elway
07-14-2009, 01:00 AM

Heh... while I appreciate the lesson in how the NFL works ;) , it's not the overall logic that is surprising, but the context. Tom Nalen enjoyed a hugely successful career under Shanahan, and he is also known for not saying a lot. Those are two very good reasons for the first thing out of your mouth not to be a criticism.

It's not a revelation to me, just a surprising and interesting unvarnished tidbit.

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Awesome guy, has lost a ton of weight - I'd guess 50 lbs. or more. Asked him what he thought of the changes at Dove Valley and got a Tom Nalen-esque answer: "I've got no clue but something had to change." Knowing his personality, I figured he wouldn't want to answer too many Broncos questions. Anyhow, just wanted to pass it along to someone.

that right there tells me, that Mike had lost touch with the team. there haven't been a lot of guys coming out and speaking great things about Mike or the rest of the staff. i think it was time for change, and it seems a lot of current and former players thought the same thing.

worm
07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Heh... while I appreciate the lesson in how the NFL works ;) , it's not the overall logic that is surprising, but the context. Tom Nalen enjoyed a hugely successful career under Shanahan, and he is also known for not saying a lot. Those are two very good reasons for the first thing out of your mouth not to be a criticism.

It's not a revelation to me, just a surprising and interesting unvarnished tidbit.

Different perspective I guess. I think saying a change was necessary is a pretty bland, obvious statement. As Montrose said...Nalen-esque.

watermock
07-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Who cares?

Weigman is better NOW.

Something had to change could mean many things.

Like "It was time for me to retire".

Perhaps the impotent D?

Beantown Bronco
07-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Weird. His primary residence during his playing days was in Massachusetts. Not sure of his family situation, but I wonder if he decided to move out there after he retired.

TonyR
07-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Not only "interesting" but almost profound. There are many, many people on the Mane who need to see this, chew on it, and digest it. A few simple words that mean an awful lot. Too bad this will be overlooked and/or ignored by most.

Tom Nalen: "...something had to change." Deserves its own thread.

theAPAOps5
07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
I saw Eddie Mac in the airport when I was catching my flight to Fargo, ND. I didn't approach him though because I think they get that a lot and I am sure it gets old.

gunns
07-14-2009, 07:17 AM
To me the statement doesn't necessarily mean Shanahan had to go, but if he wasn't willing to change things up, yes he did need to go, because it was not working. I think the "I've got no clue" means he doesn't know if the changes will put the Broncos in the right direction.

TonyR
07-14-2009, 07:18 AM
I didn't approach him though because I think they get that a lot and I am sure it gets old.

I heard that tall guys like when you walk up to them and ask, "how's the weather up there?"

theAPAOps5
07-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I heard that tall guys like when you walk up to them and ask, "how's the weather up there?"

That dude is tall and his son isn't far behind him.

montrose
07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
What did he buy?

An iPhone case.

The Joker
07-14-2009, 09:24 AM
An iPhone case.

Really disappointed by that for some reason.

My guess was a massive sack of grit or something along those lines.

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
H.o.f.

Close call, but I'm kinda doubting it. Two or three more Pro Bowls and yes ... but the way things are, I dunno.

Lets' look at his qualifications:

1) Anchored the best run-blocking offensive line in the modern era
2) Five-time Pro Bowler, Two-time first team All-Pro
3) Shocked the world by manhandling Gilbert Brown in SB XXXII, paving the way for MVP Terrell Davis
4) NFL O-lineman of the Year in 2003
5) Two time Super Bowl winner
6) Started all 16 games in 10 of his 14 years in the league

I dunno.

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Mmmm, no.

We tolerate such banalities, but seldom will we laugh - and never will we initiate any further interaction after such a question tsk tsk

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 10:50 AM
An iPhone case.

Cell phone accessories?!

Where's the loyalty? He should have given that business to Tatum.

Ambiguous
07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Close call, but I'm kinda doubting it. Two or three more Pro Bowls and yes ... but the way things are, I dunno.

3) Shocked the world by manhandling Gilbert Brown in SB XXXII, paving the way for MVP Terrell Davis

I dunno.

One of my favorite Broncos of all time. :)

TonyR
07-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Mmmm, no.

I was kidding, of course. Your response to such an inquiry should be to spit and then comment that it's raining.

worm
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Not only "interesting" but almost profound. There are many, many people on the Mane who need to see this, chew on it, and digest it. A few simple words that mean an awful lot. Too bad this will be overlooked and/or ignored by most.

Tom Nalen: "...something had to change." Deserves its own thread.

Profound? LOL. Please.

The Broncos just finished a season where they imploded in a historic manner over the last three game. SOMETHING HAD TO CHANGE is not profound. It is a truism spoken by a lot of fans, players, ex-players, analysts....pretty much everybody. It is as simplistic as saying 'taking one game at a time', 'just glad to be here' or any other cliche. When you spectacularly lose like that, something needs to change.

The Mane LOVES to over-analyze...on all sides of an argument. However, this is micro-analysis at its finest. Taking four words that Nalen says in a quick conversation while buying an iphone case and placing a PROFOUND meaning on it to serve their own personal bias is Mane high comedy.

montrose
07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Cell phone accessories?!

Where's the loyalty? He should have given that business to Tatum.

Now you know T-Mobile doesn't have access to the iPhone...

Beantown Bronco
07-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Now you know T-Mobile doesn't have access to the iPhone...

They don't need it. They have Catherine Zeta Jones.

montrose
07-14-2009, 11:15 AM
They don't need it. They have Catherine Zeta Jones.

Rep!

Garcia Bronco
07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Weird. His primary residence during his playing days was in Massachusetts. Not sure of his family situation, but I wonder if he decided to move out there after he retired.

His family lived here. They are Greek and I believe attend a Greek Orthdox Church here in Glendale.

BroncoBuff
07-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I was kidding, of course. Your response to such an inquiry should be to spit and then comment that it's raining.

Why am I just hearing this now? Eureka!

Kaylore
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM

His brother goes is LDS and goes to my in-law's congregation. He has a lot of family out here.

broncocalijohn
07-14-2009, 12:41 PM

I dunno.

DISQUALIFICATIONS:

Bronco his whole career.

I just love the HOF selections!

gunns
07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
The Broncos just finished a season where they imploded in a historic manner over the last three game. SOMETHING HAD TO CHANGE is not profound. It is a truism spoken by a lot of fans, players, ex-players, analysts....pretty much everybody. It is as simplistic as saying 'taking one game at a time', 'just glad to be here' or any other cliche. When you spectacularly lose like that, something needs to change.

A season? I'd say that was profoundly understated.