PDA

View Full Version : Marshall: "Im under contract"

BabyTO
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Looks like he'll be back with the team when TC begins. Currently he's working out with Fitzgerald:

Marshall getting in shape for unpredictable future

By Sean Jensen, Special to Yahoo! Sports 17 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS – Brandon Marshall(notes) is unwilling to talk about what jersey he wants to wear in the fall. However, he’s made it clear that whatever uniform he dons, he expects to suit up in great shape.

“All I can do is get up every day and beat my body up, and that’s the truth,” the Denver Broncos wideout said during an exclusive interview after a workout on Friday at the University of Minnesota with fellow Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald(notes). “At the end of the day, I’m going to be playing football, and, if I’m going to be out there, I got to be in the best shape I can be in.”

Neither Marshall, who requested a trade from the Broncos during a meeting with owner Pat Bowlen last month, nor his agent Kennard McGuire would comment on the status of the request.

“I ain’t worrying about that right now,” Marshall said, “and I ain’t going to talk about that.”

Marshall, a 2006 fourth-round NFL draft pick who earned $1.5 million in each of his first three seasons, reportedly wants an upgrade to a contract that is set to pay him $2.2 million in 2009. In addition to salary concerns, Marshall is believed to be bothered by the departure of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler(notes), who was traded to the Chicago Bears, and the team’s medical staff.

In a May blog post, Marshall said he got two MRIs on his hip and was told that nothing was wrong.

“But come to find out THERE WAS A BIT OF A PROBLEM after all,” Marshall wrote on his blog.

Asked if he plans to report to the team’s training camp on July 30, Marshall said, “Well, I’m under contract with the Broncos.”

Marshall, hoping not to become a distraction to his teammates (“You don’t ever want to be that,” he said), focused many of his answers on his immediate goal: closing a tangible gap with Fitzgerald.

After their full morning workout on Friday, the players ran 16, 110-yard dashes. Marshall didn’t like the view.

“The main thing I’m taking back to Orlando with me is that I’m 20 yards behind Fitzgerald,” Marshall said. “We ended [Fri]day with 110s, and I was 20 yards behind him.”

How many times?

“On all of them,” Marshall matter-of-factly said. “It showed me how far behind I am from the best.”

Marshall didn’t mention that he had hip surgery on April 1. Instead, Fitzgerald later pointed that out in a separate interview.

“Well, I’ve been doing this for a while,” Fitzgerald said of the conditioning drills, “and he just got back from major surgery not too long ago.

“He’s an incredible specimen. It won’t take long for him to recover.”

The injury could be one of several concerns the Broncos have about rewarding Marshall with a lucrative contract. Despite back-to-back 100-catch seasons, Marshall has been on police blotters on several occasions, most recently in March, when he was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being in a fight with his fiancée (the charges were dropped).

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with him and Denver. But, I just hope if he is traded or isn’t trade, I just want him to be happy,” said Fitzgerald, who struck up a friendship with Marshall through former NFL star and onetime Yahoo! Sports analyst Cris Carter. “I want to see him have success, whether that’s in Denver or [somewhere else]. I just want to see him have success, because he puts in the work.”

Marshall said he enjoyed sharing insights with receivers like Fitzgerald and the Green Bay Packers’ Greg Jennings(notes). But the highlight of his week was on Wednesday, when he worked out with Jerry Rice(notes).

“I had never gotten the chance to meet the G.O.A.T. [Greatest of All Time] before,” Marshall said. “It’s inspiring, to see how old he is, and how he’s still got it.”

If he remains a Bronco this season, Marshall will have to adjust to a new quarterback. In addition to acquiring draft picks for Cutler, the Broncos also got veteran quarterback Kyle Orton(notes).

Marshall was nothing but diplomatic in his comments about the team’s new quarterbacks, Orton and Chris Simms(notes), and he downplayed the departure of Cutler.

“With this game, as far as the NFL, it’s about change,” Marshall said. “You see that all the time. People come in and go out. It’s one of those things you have to deal with it and move on. You can’t get caught up in the past.

“You just got to do your best, to control what you can control.”

Right now, Marshall’s focus is on getting into shape so he can avoid being what he called a “so-so” player.

“Football is exciting. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing with the best or you’re playing with average guys, or a bad team,” Marshall said. “Football is always the same. Every time Sunday comes around, you’re going to be pumped up.

“Just to have an opportunity to play ball is exciting.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-marshallfuture071309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

bombquixote
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
The dude is totally mental, and yet I can't help but like him.

BroncoBuff
07-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Marshall said he got two MRIs on his hip and was told (by team doctors) that nothing was wrong.That's the kinda stuff lawsuits are made out of ... if A) that's true, and B) an independent expert agrees there was real damage, and C) he's not 100% by opening day, then the team will probably owe him some money.

At least it looks like he'll be a camp though, that's a relief. Kennard must've talked some sense into him.

BroncoBuff
07-13-2009, 11:28 AM

That child-like quality in him is kind of endearing, isn't it ... ;D

Beantown Bronco
07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Asked if he plans to report to the team’s training camp on July 30, Marshall said, “Well, I’m under contract with the Broncos.”

Giving the patented "Patriot response" right back to the interviewer. Love it.

Tombstone RJ
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that BMarsh is a smart man. I've always loved his interviews because he seems genuine and on top of things. IMHO, he's should be the go to guy for interviews when it comes to how the team is doing, what is going on with the team, etc. I also think he should be a team captain.

Yah, he's got some growing up to do off the field and I've also contended that he will learn from his mistakes. He's too damn smart not to learn from them.

This contract dispute is just that, a contract dispute. He's underpaid, he knows it, and he's trying to remedy the situation. He's acknowledged that he's under contract and he'll show for TC. For me, that says a lot about the type of player he is.

Should he get another contract, absolutely. Should the contract also protect the Broncos, absolutely. I believe he will get a new contract this coming season and the fact that he's gonna show up for TC just reinforces this belief.

theAPAOps5
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Man Marshall is a strange case. He says all the right things and seems to be doing the right things when it comes to football (except for this contract thing) and you want to root for him. Then he does something stupid outside of football. Its crazy because he has the right mindset on the football field.

cmhargrove
07-13-2009, 11:47 AM
First, i'm really glad his rhetoric has slowed down, and he understands his position (or lack of). Hopefully he gets to TC and shoots for a dominant year.

Second, he's picking great company to hang around - and I believe he is setting higher goals. On of my main knocks on him would be his lack of straight line speed. That sounds like it bothers him too. He is training with the best, and wants to be the best, that's good news.

Hopefully he gets everything worked out with McD in training camp and we will be ready to roll...

telluride
07-13-2009, 11:48 AM

It's true. He can be equal parts infuriating and engaging. I would like to see him report, play well, get a big contract, and have a great long history with the Broncos.

fdf
07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
That child-like quality in him is kind of endearing, isn't it ... ;D

When he's not getting arrested or injuring himself, yup.

One thing missing from the article. I'm glad he's planning on being in shape. But I see no acknowledgement that he has a new offense to learn and that will probably be harder than getting his body back into shape.

DenverBrit
07-13-2009, 11:50 AM
“On all of them,” Marshall matter-of-factly said. “It showed me how far behind I am from the best.”

Interesting quote that perhaps shows BM has grown up a little.

TailgateNut
07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
It's true. He can be equal parts infuriating and engaging. I would like to see him report, play well, get a big contract, and have a great long history with the Broncos.

I would like to see him stay out of trouble, play well, keep his mouth shut and get a rewarding contract. (in that order):wiggle:

Tombstone RJ
07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
When he's not getting arrested or injuring himself, yup.

One thing missing from the article. I'm glad he's planning on being in shape. But I see no acknowledgement that he has a new offense to learn and that will probably be harder than getting his body back into shape.

I can see your point but I believe McD will find ways to get him the ball. He's too big, too strong, too fast to ignore. Orton will probably be focused on him the second he gets the ball in his hands...

worm
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I find it humorous that the Broncos misidentified his hip condition. After two MRIs.

However, now...they will use that same situation where they claimed there wasn't any problem as part of the reason of why they shouldn't give him a pay raise.

Give the dude a raise. Put in legal and medical protection clauses and make everybody happy. The precedent with the Broncos has been to reneg top performers in the final year of their contract.

It really isn't that hard.

Northman
Seems like promising words from Brandon. That good.

Kaylore
Well it's good to see two things:

1.) Marshall is working hard to get back into shape and get ready to play this season.

2.) That Marshall understands he doesn't have much wiggle room in terms of his contract right now.

I think he is very underpaid and I think his grievances over his health issues are completely legitimate. Unfortunately the team holds all the cards. He is under contract, which by itself wouldn't mean much were it not for all his arrests, history of suspension with Roger Goodell, as well as his pending court case. That makes him a liability to any team, including the Broncos.

It sucks, Brandon, but you did this to yourself. I think players have a right to hold out when they outperform their contracts and even believe they should choose to do so more often than not. However if they're behavior in other areas negatively affects their ability to use such tactics to negotiate effectively, then that's their problem. If nothing else, I hope he becomes a cautionary tale on why pro athletes need to be hyper cautious with their behavior. Brandon's offseason irresponsibility has hurt teams' trust in him as a professional, and even put his body at risk.

Tombstone RJ
07-13-2009, 12:01 PM
BMarsh makes Jay Cutler look like an absolute moron when it comes to football interviews. That alone should garner a bigger pay check.

TonyR
07-13-2009, 12:02 PM
It really isn't that hard.

It is if BM and his agent don't accept such a contract, which they very likely won't.

oubronco
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Interesting quote that perhaps shows BM has grown up a little.

or he could've been making an reference to his injury without making excuses for it

Popps
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
It's just $$$ folks. Nothing new to see, here. NFL business as usual.

Brandon knows he's one mistake from playing in the CFL, so he's trying to cash in his lotto ticket now. I don't blame him one bit.

But, all of this nonsense about him worried about the # of catches he'll have or about our training staff is just silliness.

The guy wants to get paid, big-time... and the Broncos (understandably) want to approach any contract with a guy like this with extreme caution. Thy also don't want to be pushed around.

If Brandon does indeed show up for camp, and this seems to be a hint that he will... I expect the club to try to extend him to some kind of team-friendly contract that's incentive-laden.

montrose
07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Well put Kaylore. I hope Brandon comes in, stays out of trouble, tears it up and gets a new deal. I could see it going either way with him, but he remains my favorite player to watch on Sundays - especially if he can return to his 2007 form.

vancejohnson82
07-13-2009, 12:08 PM

1.) Marshall is working hard to get back into shape and get ready to play this season.

2.) That Marshall understands he doesn't have much wiggle room in terms of his contract right now.

I think he is very underpaid and I think his grievances over his health issues are completely legitimate. Unfortunately the team holds all the cards. He is under contract, which by itself wouldn't mean much were it not for all his arrests, history of suspension with Roger Goodell, as well as his pending court case. That makes him a liability to any team, including the Broncos.

It sucks, Brandon, but you did this to yourself. I think players have a right to hold out when they outperform their contracts and even believe they should choose to do so more often than not. However if they're behavior in other areas negatively affects their ability to use such tactics negotiate effectively, then that's their problem. If nothing else, I hope he becomes a cautionary tale on why pro athletes need to be hyper cautious with their behavior. Brandon's offseason irresponsibility has hurt teams' trust in him as a professional, and even put his body at risk.

Very well said. I would also like to expand on that by saying that the Broncos are in a position now to send a real "team" message by rewarding Brandon a contract before the season begins.

In my eyes, if Marshall shows up to camp in shape, doesnt get injured or sit out of workouts, stays out of trouble and cements himself as a legitimate offensive staple (both physically and emotioanally) he should get the contract before Week 1.

After the Cutler situation and the road that this was looking like it was heading down, it would be a real morale booster if one of the Shanny "leftovers" got rewarded and was given the responsiblity of leading this team into the next era.

Then again, this is all dependent on him staying out of trouble.

gyldenlove
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM

It sucks, Brandon, but you did this to yourself. I think players have a right to hold out when they outperform their contracts and even believe they should choose to do so more often than not. However if they're behavior in other areas negatively affects their ability to use such tactics to negotiate effectively, then that's their problem. If nothing else, I hope he becomes a cautionary tale on why pro athletes need to be hyper cautious with their behavior. Brandon's offseason irresponsibility has hurt teams' trust in him as a professional, and even put his body at risk.

Extremely solid post.

I don't think there was ever any doubt that Marshall is a hard worker on the field, I know Shanahan questioned him when he was a rookie, but there has never been issues with the shape he has shown up to offseason activities in or lack of intensity on the practice field.

This combined with the statements from Mcdaniels earlier that the team is talking to Marshall's agent make me think something is in the works. I think they are working on some sort of conditional deal like the one Javon Walker got. My guess would be that Marshall will play this year at the 2.25 million salary he is due with an option bonus due next year in February for a large sum of money that will extend him for 4 years.

I hope, I really hope that Marshall can keep himself out of negative situations, he is very talented, he is passionate and he is well-spoken, I think he is a guy who could lead a team with his energy and positive attitude. Working out with Fitzgerald, Rice and Jennings is definitely a good place to start, also getting out of Atlanta is a good thing. As we have seen with Marcus Thomas, a negative environment can stick.

TailgateNut
07-13-2009, 12:12 PM
In my eyes, if Marshall shows up to camp in shape, doesnt get injured or sit out of workouts, stays out of trouble and cements himself as a legitimate offensive staple (both physically and emotioanally) he should get the contract before Week 1.

BIG IF!

TheReverend
07-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Redicules. :approve:

TailgateNut
07-13-2009, 12:20 PM

HUH?

vancejohnson82
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
HUH?

Rev, besides being President/CEO of the Jay Cutler Fan Club :wiggle: is also the board's resident linguistics and grammar editor in chief.

If you notice in Kaylore's post he said, "They're" instead of "Their"

broncofan2438
07-13-2009, 12:39 PM
See you in training camp Marshall

ColoradoDarin
07-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Brandon won't get an extension until his last court case is done (Sept IIRC). He deserves a new contract for his on the field play, but is one pimp slap away from a 8-16 game vacation.

Brandon, if you want the big bucks, it's an easy thing to get as long as you STOP HITTING WOMEN.

rastaman
07-13-2009, 01:49 PM
See ya in training camp Bmarsh. Take care of your hip and make sure its ready to go 100%! You are entering your 4th year in the NFL and its time you avoid playing with reckless risky abandon for the remainder of your NFL career.

More than likely this how you injured your hip in the first place. Avoid wear and tear, the Broncos will pay you the same in 2009 whether one player tackles you or 2 or 3 players tackle you. Play smart and take care of your body. You only get the big pay day if your healthy.

The joints in your hips, knees, and ankle cannot take the wear and tear running against the grain trying to make something out of nothing. Orton either gets you the ball at the right time to make something happen or just go down with one tackler...dust yourself off...go back to the huddle and start all over.

Sure some fans will say you are soft! but the fans aren't taking the hits you take and as fans they will simply move on to the next Bmarsh.......should your career end unexpectedly b/c you absorbed so much punishment early in your career. The fans will merely say.....we loved how you played with reckless macho abandon too bad your body couldn't hold up! Thanks for the great memories...too bad you couldn't stay healthy.

Teams around the NFL will pay you top 5 money b/c you run great routes and you catch the ball! A QB's job is to get you the ball at the right time to make you successful! Your goal now is to make sure you play for a team that wins and is surrounded by talent. This will be the Broncos in two to three years or you'll find another team in this time frame.

BMarsh you can't have nor sustain a 10-16 year career in the NFL taking unnecessary punishment to your body by allowing 2 or 3 tacklers to bring you down. Remember, you make your money in the NFL by extending your career for as long as possible!

You may remain a Bronco or you may find yourself in another city down the road. Just treat the NFL as a business, and stay out of trouble. Make the best of a possible disappointing stat wise season; just play fundamentally sound i.e. run sound routes, catch the ball and everything will take care of itself.

Kaylore
07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Rev, besides being President/CEO of the Jay Cutler Fan Club :wiggle: is also the board's resident linguistics and grammar editor in chief.

If you notice in Kaylore's post he said, "They're" instead of "Their"

I'm awesome.

tsiguy96
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM
See ya in training camp Bmarsh. Take care of your hip and make sure its ready to go 100%! You are entering your 4th year in the NFL and its time you avoid playing with reckless risky abandon for the remainder of your NFL career.

More than likely this how you injured your hip in the first place. Avoid wear and tear, the Broncos will pay you the same in 2009 whether one player tackles you or 2 or 3 players tackle you. Play smart and take care of your body. You only get the big pay day if your healthy.

The joints in your hips, knees, and ankle cannot take the wear and tear running against the grain trying to make something out of nothing. Orton either gets you the ball at the right time to make something happen or just go down with one tackler...dust yourself off...go back to the huddle and start all over.

Sure some fans will say you are soft! but the fans aren't taking the hits you take and as fans they will simply move on to the next Bmarsh.......should your career end unexpectedly b/c you absorbed so much punishment early in your career. The fans will merely say.....we loved how you played with reckless macho abandon too bad your body couldn't hold up! Thanks for the great memories...too bad you couldn't stay healthy.

Teams around the NFL will pay you top 5 money b/c you run great routes and you catch the ball! A QB's job is to get you the ball at the right time to make you successful! Your goal now is to make sure you play for a team that wins and is surrounded by talent. This will be the Broncos in two to three years or you'll find another team in this time frame.

BMarsh you can't have nor sustain a 10-16 year career in the NFL taking unnecessary punishment to your body by allowing 2 or 3 tacklers to bring you down. Remember, you make your money in the NFL by extending your career for as long as possible!

You may remain a Bronco or you may find yourself in another city down the road. Just treat the NFL as a business, and stay out of trouble. Make the best of a possible disappointing stat wise season; just play fundamentally sound i.e. run sound routes, catch the ball and everything will take care of itself.

wow, you think hes actually gonna read this?

Popps
07-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Love, Mom.

meangene
07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Brandon won't get an extension until his last court case is done (Sept IIRC). He deserves a new contract for his on the field play, but is one pimp slap away from a 8-16 game vacation.

Brandon, if you want the big bucks, it's an easy thing to get as long as you STOP HITTING WOMEN.

Yep, and he is a king bull****ter. He can talk but we have heard it all before from him. Hell, even Cutler talked about him saying he knew this was his last chance, no more screw-ups, etc. One year with no off the field issues means far more than what he says. The guy is a great talent but he is so full of it I think he actually believes his own stuff.

listopencil
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
[somewhere else]

BroncoMan4ever
07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
honestly i think his problem is more with the medical staff than the coach, owner, or Jay being gone. i mean sure he wants his money, but i think he main problem is with the retards who checked him twice while he was in pain and both times said it was nothing and told him to get back on the field, when in fact his hip needed surgery.

i know for a fact if that happened to me, there is no chance in hell i would allow myself to be checked out by those butchers.

tsiguy96
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
honestly i think his problem is more with the medical staff than the coach, owner, or Jay being gone. i mean sure he wants his money, but i think he main problem is with the retards who checked him twice while he was in pain and both times said it was nothing and told him to get back on the field, when in fact his hip needed surgery.

i know for a fact if that happened to me, there is no chance in hell i would allow myself to be checked out by those butchers.

i agree 100% with this. i think he knows hes gonna get his payday, but when you have to constantly check in with teh same medical staff that has butchered your and other diagnoses, youd def want out

Malcontent
07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
The obvious is being ignored in this thread.....

Larry Fitzgerald is a fricking beast!!!

TonyR
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Brandon Marshall making up for lost time
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 13, 2009 9:26 PM

Brandon Marshall recognizes he has an uncertain immediate future. But it doesn't sound like he plans on spending it on the sideline.

"At the end of the day, I'm going to be playing football, and, if I'm going to be out there, I got to be in the best shape I can be in," Marshall told Sean Jensen of Yahoo! Sports.

Marshall was working out with Larry Fitzgerald in Minnesota, and others like Greg Jennings and Jerry Rice have stopped by.

Marshall didn't want to talk about the status of his trade request, but his comments didn't sound like they were coming from someone planning a long holdout.

Asked if he plans to report to training camp on time, Marshall said, "Well, I'm under contract with the Broncos."

Marshall said the biggest lesson he learned in Minnesota is how much slower he currently is than Fitzgerald. He aims to change that by training camp.

"All I can do is get up every day and beat my body up, and that's the truth."

Marshall's conditioning level has been a talking point in Denver throughout his short career. That and his hip surgery isn't going to help his trade value to a team like Baltimore that suddenly looks short at receiver.

The one-time Pro Bowler seems to understand his future is largely out his hands.

"You just got to do your best, to control what you can control."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/13/brandon-marshall-making-up-for-lost-time/

Dedhed
07-13-2009, 07:44 PM
This is exactly what I want to hear about Marshall. Working his a$$ off along side the best in the game, and realizing he's obligated to the Broncos. If he keeps working, blows it out in 2009, and stays out of trouble, I hope we pay this kid to be a lifer.

bombquixote
07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Yep, and he is a king bull****ter. He can talk but we have heard it all before from him. Hell, even Cutler talked about him saying he knew this was his last chance, no more screw-ups, etc. One year with no off the field issues means far more than what he says. The guy is a great talent but he is so full of it I think he actually believes his own stuff.

Also, that's a horrible photoshop job on your avatar's ass.

watermock
07-14-2009, 01:37 AM
It's just $$$ folks. Nothing new to see, here. NFL business as usual.

Brandon knows he's one mistake from playing in the CFL, so he's trying to cash in his lotto ticket now. I don't blame him one bit.

But, all of this nonsense about him worried about the # of catches he'll have or about our training staff is just silliness.

The guy wants to get paid, big-time... and the Broncos (understandably) want to approach any contract with a guy like this with extreme caution. Thy also don't want to be pushed around.

If Brandon does indeed show up for camp, and this seems to be a hint that he will... I expect the club to try to extend him to some kind of team-friendly contract that's incentive-laden.

Gad, your indeed a broken record.

He's trainng away because he thinks our staff sucks, and so do many others.

BM HAS to report or he doesn't go RFA in '10. End story. or whatever the CBA says.

BM didn't, nor ever will, have Fitz's speed.

watermock
07-14-2009, 01:48 AM
This is exactly what I want to hear about Marshall. Working his a$$ off along side the best in the game, and realizing he's obligated to the Broncos. If he keeps working, blows it out in 2009, and stays out of trouble, I hope we pay this kid to be a lifer.

That's absurd.

!. We won't pay him

2. We won't have the QB to deliver him the ball.

rastaman
07-14-2009, 04:25 AM
wow, you think hes actually gonna read this?

Wow......you think he wants to be a Bronco for life! Wow you think he wants to sign an extension with the Broncos or perhaps does he want a fresh start down the road?

Why do we as fans assume should Marshall put his legal problems behind him, this automatically = he wants to remain a Bronco out of blind loyalty to the fans, McD, and Bowlen?

Why do we as fans automatically assume Brandon wants to remain in Denver while McD is instituting his rebuilding program? My point is, with free agency in the NFL fans are foolish to think Marshall will want to spend his most talented and productive years in the NFL as a Bronco.

Marshall may elect to wait for a totally new contract with another team vs signing an extension with Denver which is more advantageous for the Broncos vs Brandon Marshall.

If Brandon is smart and plays his cards right, he may be able to achieve the big pay day and play for a SB bound(s) team as well. This isn't to say should Marshall survive the "Tag" years....Denver won't be one of those SB bound teams, but Marshall needs to realize the NFL is a business and learn to keep his option opens.

Marshall could sign an extension but realize later he's still under paid! Brandon needs to sign a completely new contract when the opportunity comes about. So this means after the 09 season (his last year of his 4 year contract), 2010, 2011, and possible 2012 are the tag years; after that he becomes a free agent!

Now do you see why I was emphasizing its more important for BMarsh to STAY HEALTHY and stop playing with such reckless abandon! Thus putting his body thru unnecessary wear and tear! Brandon Marshall must first survive the Contract-TAG war the Broncos are about to embark upon against Brandon over the next 2 or 3 years.

BMarsh has realized that getting drafted in the 4th round was a curse b/c of the money he was paid in comparison to his talent. By signing an extension he will fall into the same trap with getting under paid once again. Sure Marshall is under contract and he must honor the contract.....b/c this is the business end of the NFL and the leverage teams use against the player.

However, Brandon should be seeking a big signing bonus and a new long term contract which is also the business end of the NFL for players. As a result this could interfere whether he's remains a Bronco, and the fans should realize this. "Its nothing personal.....its just Business"!!

Hopefully Brandon realizes his rookie contract he signed was for opportunity, for love of the game, and to make the fans happy. The next contract Marshall signs should be all about business and himself......plain and simple.

meangene
07-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Also, that's a horrible photoshop job on your avatar's ass.

Not my work!

Broncoman13
07-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Man Marshall is a strange case. He says all the right things and seems to be doing the right things when it comes to football (except for this contract thing) and you want to root for him. Then he does something stupid outside of football. Its crazy because he has the right mindset on the football field.

This is where I'm at. Love watching the guy play but everytime you think he is over the hump he does something stupid to put him back in the... He's a mental case category.

Broncoman13
07-14-2009, 04:41 AM

I think beyond that he is pretty sore that Bowlen isn't considering a contract now. He feels the hip is in this condition b/c of the team. He played through pain last year and feels he should be rewarded. If the Broncos are saying that he needs to keep his nose clean for a year that is understandable. If the Broncos are saying that he has to show that he is healthy, I think that would be a problem for him. I also think he's more than a little frustrated that his hip is causing teams to pause in pursuit of a trade. He isn't stupid and many in his camp have stated that he understands any contract would have protection against an off-field incident.

vancejohnson82
07-14-2009, 07:14 AM
That's absurd.

!. We won't pay him

2. We won't have the QB to deliver him the ball.

Funny...in the post before this you talked about a broken record

Hogan11
07-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Unless the new contract breaks the bank, I'm betting he'll reject it and be gone in two years. Cue up the Zen master and the child thing from Charlie Wilson's War..."We'll see".

USMCBladerunner
07-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Actually the patented response would have been "Well, I'm under contract with the "Team," but you are right that it's a bit of a smart ass remark.

Smart ass or not though, that is the reality of it, and hopefully he can accept that and play to his ability. The Broncos aren't wrong for sitting on this one and making him ride it out. For all his talent, he has liabilities that many of the top WR's don't. His best approach will be to continue to keep his head down, excel on the field, maximize his performance bonuses, then cash in either with the Broncos or with another team.

broncofan2438
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Stupid Meril Hodge said this morning on ESPN that if Marshall comes to camp, he now has the leverage and can say that even though he is at camp, he still wants out. F that

misturanderson
07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Wow......you think he wants to be a Bronco for life! Wow you think he wants to sign an extension with the Broncos or perhaps does he want a fresh start down the road?

Why do we as fans assume should Marshall put his legal problems behind him, this automatically = he wants to remain a Bronco out of blind loyalty to the fans, McD, and Bowlen?

Why do we as fans automatically assume Brandon wants to remain in Denver while McD is instituting his rebuilding program? My point is, with free agency in the NFL fans are foolish to think Marshall will want to spend his most talented and productive years in the NFL as a Bronco.

Marshall may elect to wait for a totally new contract with another team vs signing an extension with Denver which is more advantageous for the Broncos vs Brandon Marshall.

If Brandon is smart and plays his cards right, he may be able to achieve the big pay day and play for a SB bound(s) team as well. This isn't to say should Marshall survive the "Tag" years....Denver won't be one of those SB bound teams, but Marshall needs to realize the NFL is a business and learn to keep his option opens.

Marshall could sign an extension but realize later he's still under paid! Brandon needs to sign a completely new contract when the opportunity comes about. So this means after the 09 season (his last year of his 4 year contract), 2010, 2011, and possible 2012 are the tag years; after that he becomes a free agent!

Now do you see why I was emphasizing its more important for BMarsh to STAY HEALTHY and stop playing with such reckless abandon! Thus putting his body thru unnecessary wear and tear! Brandon Marshall must first survive the Contract-TAG war the Broncos are about to embark upon against Brandon over the next 2 or 3 years.

BMarsh has realized that getting drafted in the 4th round was a curse b/c of the money he was paid in comparison to his talent. By signing an extension he will fall into the same trap with getting under paid once again. Sure Marshall is under contract and he must honor the contract.....b/c this is the business end of the NFL and the leverage teams use against the player.

However, Brandon should be seeking a big signing bonus and a new long term contract which is also the business end of the NFL for players. As a result this could interfere whether he's remains a Bronco, and the fans should realize this. "Its nothing personal.....its just Business"!!

Hopefully Brandon realizes his rookie contract he signed was for opportunity, for love of the game, and to make the fans happy. The next contract Marshall signs should be all about business and himself......plain and simple.
And how much money do you think his next contract will be for if he shys away from his most unique and impressive talent for the next 3+ years?

And while being drafted in the 4th round is a "curse," it's one he got himself into with the same things that are keeping him from getting a new contract now. His off the field concerns obviously have affected his stock to EVERY team in the NFL or he would have probably been traded already and he certainly would have been drafted higher.

Sassy
07-14-2009, 09:19 AM
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that BMarsh is a smart man. I've always loved his interviews because he seems genuine and on top of things. IMHO, he's should be the go to guy for interviews when it comes to how the team is doing, what is going on with the team, etc. I also think he should be a team captain.

Yah, he's got some growing up to do off the field and I've also contended that he will learn from his mistakes. He's too damn smart not to learn from them.

This contract dispute is just that, a contract dispute. He's underpaid, he knows it, and he's trying to remedy the situation. He's acknowledged that he's under contract and he'll show for TC. For me, that says a lot about the type of player he is.

Should he get another contract, absolutely. Should the contract also protect the Broncos, absolutely. I believe he will get a new contract this coming season and the fact that he's gonna show up for TC just reinforces this belief.

Yeah....Smart. How many "ain'ts" are in that interview...LOL!

Sassy
07-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Best quote yet....

BroncoMan4ever
07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I think beyond that he is pretty sore that Bowlen isn't considering a contract now. He feels the hip is in this condition b/c of the team. He played through pain last year and feels he should be rewarded. If the Broncos are saying that he needs to keep his nose clean for a year that is understandable. If the Broncos are saying that he has to show that he is healthy, I think that would be a problem for him. I also think he's more than a little frustrated that his hip is causing teams to pause in pursuit of a trade. He isn't stupid and many in his camp have stated that he understands any contract would have protection against an off-field incident.

i don't think the contract extension really has anything to do with the hip. i think it has to do with, Bowlen wanting to safeguard the contract in the likelihood that Marshall again does something stupid. i think the team is pretty sure that the hip is fine and just more worried about off field problems.

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
i don't think the contract extension really has anything to do with the hip. i think it has to do with, Bowlen wanting to safeguard the contract in the likelihood that Marshall again does something stupid. i think the team is pretty sure that the hip is fine and just more worried about off field problems.

the hip questions are silly. his hip was BAD last year, he played on it. now this year that its been fixed, its a question now?

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm actually kind of worried about his hip after hearing that he is that far behind Fitz in sprints. Fitzgerald came out of school running a 4.6 40 while Brandon is in the 4.4 range. He must be really hampered by that hip if he is 20 yards behind Fitzgerald running in a straight line. Either that or he was just exaggerating about being that far behind every time.

Requiem
07-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Saw Brandon Marshall puke at Valley Fair the other day.

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm actually kind of worried about his hip after hearing that he is that far behind Fitz in sprints. Fitzgerald came out of school running a 4.6 40 while Brandon is in the 4.4 range. He must be really hampered by that hip if he is 20 yards behind Fitzgerald running in a straight line. Either that or he was just exaggerating about being that far behind every time.

Larry didn't run at the combine and ran a 4.48 at his pro-day, actually.

Also, Marshall ran a 4.55 at the combine.

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah....Smart. How many "ain'ts" are in that interview...LOL!

I ain't gonna talk about that, it ain't important... !Booya!

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Larry didn't run at the combine and ran a 4.48 at his pro-day, actually.

Also, Marshall ran a 4.55 at the combine.

My bad, I could have sworn that I saw Larry running a 4.63 somewhere. Oh well. That's still quite a ways behind for comparable speeds normally.

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
My bad, I could have sworn that I saw Larry running a 4.63 somewhere. Oh well. That's still quite a ways behind for comparable speeds normally.

It could be the sustained distance, it could be the hip

But I'd say it's 98% most likely conditioning and practice.

BabyTO
07-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Dude the guy couldnt even walk a couple weeks ago, now he's racing Fitzgerald who is in tip top shape. Had he been racing Fitzgerald who just came back from groin surgery as well i would have been worried but thats obviously not the case. Marshall will be at 100% by the time training camp ends. We dont need him at 100% right now...

Doggcow
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM

Nice word there, you make that up on your own?

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Dude the guy couldnt even walk a couple weeks ago, now he's racing Fitzgerald who is in tip top shape. Had he been racing Fitzgerald who just came back from groin surgery as well i would have been worried but thats obviously not the case. Marshall will be at 100% by the time training camp ends. We dont need him at 100% right now...

He was running around at his camp right after his meeting with Bowlen at the beginning of June, I'm pretty sure he has been able to walk for quite a while.

If it is simply a conditioning thing, then fine, but if it is hurting him he shouldn't be running sprints right now.

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 11:02 AM

i agree. Fitz strikes me as the Jerry Rice type of receiver who basically goes all out on his training year round. while Marshall is the guy who gets by more on his natural ability and isn't working out as much during the offseason. also effects from the hip surgery, that kept him from really working out for almost 2 months could be a reason that he isn't as conditioned as Fitz

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Nice word there, you make that up on your own?

It's like you intentionally try to top your prior stupidity with every post.

Remarkable.

broncocalijohn
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
That's the kinda stuff lawsuits are made out of ... if A) that's true, and B) an independent expert agrees there was real damage, and C) he's not 100% by opening day, then the team will probably owe him some money.

At least it looks like he'll be a camp though, that's a relief. Kennard must've talked some sense into him.

sometimes it is the agent that puts crap in player's head. I always wondered what Ashlie Lelie's agent said to him concerning the Broncos.

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
i agree. Fitz strikes me as the Jerry Rice type of receiver who basically goes all out on his training year round. while Marshall is the guy who gets by more on his natural ability and isn't working out as much during the offseason. also effects from the hip surgery, that kept him from really working out for almost 2 months could be a reason that he isn't as conditioned as Fitz

I disagree. If that were the case, he wouldn't be there now.

BabyTO
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
He was running around at his camp right after his meeting with Bowlen at the beginning of June, I'm pretty sure he has been able to walk for quite a while.

If it is simply a conditioning thing, then fine, but if it is hurting him he shouldn't be running sprints right now.
What are you even talking about? Marshall was seen on crutches about 2-3 months ago. In June he started to jog around for the first time. Now he's racing the best receiver in football and you're going nuts that he can't smoke him in a foot race? You sound like Chicken Little.

And something tells me you have never been through rehab. Yes it hurts, that's the whole point. You have to fight through the pain to make sure you get back in shape as soon as possible. Laying in bed and not doing anything is not gonna help you, it's just gonna slow everything down. So working out is necessary, that's what Marshall does right now. Take a Valium pill and calm down. He will be perfectly fine by the time the season begins.

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I disagree. If that were the case, he wouldn't be there now.

this is the 1st season he has ever been out working like this. and this season could possibly attributed to him rehabbing his hip, more than trying to get better.

every season he has played so far, he is winded by week 13 and showing signs of slowing down, and that is from not being conditioned well enough, which makes me think he hadn't been working like this in the past.

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
What are you even talking about? Marshall was seen on crutches about 2-3 months ago. In June he started to jog around for the first time. Now he's racing the best receiver in football and you're going nuts that he can't smoke him in a foot race? You sound like Chicken Little.

And something tells me you have never been through rehab. Yes it hurts, that's the whole point. You have to fight through the pain to make sure you get back in shape as soon as possible. Laying in bed and not doing anything is not gonna help you, it's just gonna slow everything down. So working out is necessary, that's what Marshall does right now. Take a Valium pill and calm down. He will be perfectly fine by the time the season begins.

rehab after surgery was the worst pain of my life. 5 months of getting my leg back into strong working condition, not even as good as it was before the injury, but just working condition, that i could use it without pain

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
this is the 1st season he has ever been out working like this. and this season could possibly attributed to him rehabbing his hip, more than trying to get better.

every season he has played so far, he is winded by week 13 and showing signs of slowing down, and that is from not being conditioned well enough, which makes me think he hadn't been working like this in the past.

We just don't know this. Unless you do have some information and a link to this end.

In fact, we do know he's spent time in his off-season training with Scheff and Jay which is only contrary to your initial point.

Rabb
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM

exactly

I imagine Fitz has been training like this for a while and BM is just starting

if it helps, awesome

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 12:26 PM

I have in fact had to rehab surgeries on both of my legs (including one time when I had to have a full leg cast and be on crutches for 2 months), I know what it's like.

If he doesn't have 100% range of motion or strength then he doesn't need to be running 16 110-yard sprints in one go. He needs to be working on low-impact endurance stuff right now, along side strength and flexibility training.

If he is taking it easy on the sprints and just using it to build endurance then fine. I never said that he wouldn't be able to make it back, I just said that 20 yards behind Fitzgerald even at the beginning of the 16 sprints makes it seem worse than it had previously considering that they are similar in their speed normally.

telluride
07-15-2009, 01:02 PM
One thing I'd like to see come out of all of this is for the team -- or McD, actually -- to take a good long hard look at our medical and training staffs.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
And how much money do you think his next contract will be for if he shys away from his most unique and impressive talent for the next 3+ years?

And while being drafted in the 4th round is a "curse," it's one he got himself into with the same things that are keeping him from getting a new contract now. His off the field concerns obviously have affected his stock to EVERY team in the NFL or he would have probably been traded already and he certainly would have been drafted higher.

The point you are missing here is how long will BMarsh's career last if he continues to play with reckless risky abandon by taking unnecessary hits and punishment to his body as he has done in 07 & 08!!!! Brandon will make his money thru LONGEVITY, keeping his body healthy, staying out of legal trouble and by playing smart!

Marshall has the size, skill, talent, and agility to have a 13 to 16 year NFL career. Over this time period......Marshall can realize Boo-Coo-Bucks. Now whether its with the Broncos remains to be seen, but in any event BMarsh needs to view the NFL as a business and put his career and health first.

Lastly, teams place more value on a WR that can run precise routes and consistently catch the catchable ball, cause mis-matches, and move the chains; the TD's and YAC will happen during the flow of the game(s). We have yet to see the chemistry btwn Orton and Bmarsh and learning a new system will hamper Brandon stats from 07 & 08. Brandon just needs to be stay healthy, play smart, be fundamentally sound, consistent and stay out of trouble in 2009 and his stock and value will climb.

Kaylore
07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
One thing I'd like to see come out of all of this is for the team -- or McD, actually -- to take a good long hard look at our medical and training staffs.

They have radically altered the training regimen already. They are now combining their physical training program with football related drills. I like this because it's like cheating and getting extra practice time (depending on the drills) as well as improving muscle memory on football related activities.

The medical side of things is another story. I think Greek's incompetence with several individuals has him on the hot seat.

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 01:32 PM
The point you are missing here is how long will BMarsh's career last if he continues to play with reckless risky abandon by taking unnecessary hits and punishment to his body as he has done in 07 & 08!!!! Brandon will make his money thru LONGEVITY, keeping his body healthy, staying out of legal trouble and by playing smart!

Marshall has the size, skill, talent, and agility to have a 13 to 16 year NFL career. Over this time period......Marshall can realize Boo-Coo-Bucks. Now whether its with the Broncos remains to be seen, but in any event BMarsh needs to view the NFL as a business and put his career and health first.

Lastly, teams place more value on a WR that can run precise routes and consistently catch the catchable ball, cause mis-matches, and move the chains; the TD's and YAC will happen during the flow of the game(s). We have yet to see the chemistry btwn Orton and Bmarsh and learning a new system will hamper Brandon stats from 07 & 08. Brandon just needs to be stay healthy, play smart, be fundamentally sound, consistent and stay out of trouble in 2009 and his stock and value will climb.

I just think you are overestimating BMarsh's abilities, he doesn't put up the numbers that he has if he doesn't play with the "reckless abandon" you keep talking about. Even with that style of play, he isn't putting up top 10 receiver numbers in anything other than catches and yards per game, which is easily explained by his ridiculous number of targets.

I also don't think that he took as many of these huge hits as you keep claiming that he takes.

I think he has it in him to be a top 5 receiver easily, but he is a ways away right now and if he's going to play as hard as he can at any point in his career, now is the time. It WILL impact his next contract if he stops playing with the incredible heart that he has shown the last 2 1/2 years.

telluride
07-15-2009, 01:34 PM
They have radically altered the training regimen already. They are now combining their physical training program with football related drills. I like this because it's like cheating and getting extra practice time (depending on the drills) as well as improving muscled memory one football related activities.

That's interesting -- and encouraging -- to hear. Man it was frustrating to have the team constantly getting beat up in the 4th quarter by stronger, better-conditioned teams.

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
We just don't know this. Unless you do have some information and a link to this end.

In fact, we do know he's spent time in his off-season training with Scheff and Jay which is only contrary to your initial point.

i don't have any information, it is pure speculation on my part. however, his training with Jay and Scheff, weren't high intensity training with an emphasis on getting stronger or better, they were just to build better chemistry with each other.

i don't seem to recall any news of him working out hard in the offseason. i'm sure he stays in shape and excercises, but i don't think until this season he has ever put in the work in the offseason to be stronger and better once camp began. i don't think he is keeping himself in football shape year round.

i mean take a look at him in interviews. he looks huge now compared to what he has since he has been in the league. he has put in the work this offseason and it is noticeable.

TheReverend
07-15-2009, 04:44 PM
i don't have any information, it is pure speculation on my part. however, his training with Jay and Scheff, weren't high intensity training with an emphasis on getting stronger or better, they were just to build better chemistry with each other.

i don't seem to recall any news of him working out hard in the offseason. i'm sure he stays in shape and excercises, but i don't think until this season he has ever put in the work in the offseason to be stronger and better once camp began. i don't think he is keeping himself in football shape year round.

i mean take a look at him in interviews. he looks huge now compared to what he has since he has been in the league. he has put in the work this offseason and it is noticeable.

And that's more speculation. We simply don't know.

UberBroncoMan
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM

I'll admit, that was a great retort by Marshall.

broncswin
07-15-2009, 06:27 PM
This guy pisses me off so damn much, at one point I'm ready to sit his a$$ for the whole season, then I hear this and can't help but realize why I like the guy...screw you Marshall...I LOVE YOU!!... I need a beer.

rastaman
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I just think you are overestimating BMarsh's abilities, he doesn't put up the numbers that he has if he doesn't play with the "reckless abandon" you keep talking about. Even with that style of play, he isn't putting up top 10 receiver numbers in anything other than catches and yards per game, which is easily explained by his ridiculous number of targets.

I also don't think that he took as many of these huge hits as you keep claiming that he takes.

I think he has it in him to be a top 5 receiver easily, but he is a ways away right now and if he's going to play as hard as he can at any point in his career, now is the time. It WILL impact his next contract if he stops playing with the incredible heart that he has shown the last 2 1/2 years.

Well I guess we can argue this topic until the cows come home. There's a fine line between playing hard, playing smart, staying injury free of injuries (as much as possible) to extend your career and play at a high level for 10-16 years.a Remember, longevity is key to making money and landing that big contract in the NFL.

misturanderson
07-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Well I guess we can argue this topic until the cows come home. There's a fine line between playing hard, playing smart, staying injury free of injuries (as much as possible) to extend your career and play at a high level for 10-16 years.a Remember, longevity is key to making money and landing that big contract in the NFL.

I agree, I just don't think I was quite getting your point entirely. I felt like you were saying not so much that he should play smart, but that he should play like a b**** that completely shies away from contact so he doesn't get hurt so he can get a huge contract in a few years.

BroncoMan4ever
07-15-2009, 09:15 PM

that's something i like about Moreno. look at clips of him, he goes hard every play, and lowers his pads when it is necessary and fights for extra yardage, but i have never seen him take an unnecessary big hit. he doesn't shy away from contact, but he is able to avoid big collisions.

zdoor
07-15-2009, 10:27 PM

I agree, You don't get to the type of build Marshall has without working your ass off...