PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets make some moves!

broncos-rock
07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Arron Afflalo-G-Nuggets Jul. 13 - 1:22 pm et

The Pistons have traded Arron Afflalo, Walter Sharpe and cash to the Nuggets for a future second-round pick, according to Yahoo! Sports.
Detroit clears another $1.8 million in cap space, while Denver can use Afflalo to fill the void created by the departure of Dahntay Jones (and possibly Linas Kleiza). Neither Afflalo nor Sharpe is likely to help fantasy owners next season.
Source: Yahoo! Sports

I know its not signing Artest but at least their doing something. Does anybody know anything about these guys!
Thanks

vancejohnson82
07-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Afflalo is a pretty decent player...unfortunately for him, in Detroit they decided Stuckey was the next coming of Isiah Thomas and he never really got a chance to compete for big minutes

dont know anything about Sharpe....Afflalo could be a good minutes guy for the Nugs behind Billups and he'll split time with the rook

bronco_boi_5280
07-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Like the move, young talented player. Don't know anything about the other guy, but Afflalo has some talent from what I've seen/read. Granted, haven't seen a lot, but I think he can play.

BMarsh615
07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Afflalo is a pretty good shooter, that is about all I know about him though.

BroncoBuff
07-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Afflalo is a pretty good shooter, that is about all I know about him though.

You ain't kidding ... he shot 40% from 3-point range last season, 43-107 :strong:

How's his defense?

bronco_boi_5280
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Extremely young backcourt off the bench with Lawson and Afflalo. If both those guys pan out, the Nuggies are set in the back for a while.

I'm curious as to who becomes the 6th man now. Chris Andersen or Kleiza (if he's retained) I would have to believe, with Lawson and Afflalo learning/playing a moderate amount of minutes backing up Chauncey and JR.

Rabb
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I saw a rumor yesterday about LK and Kenyon for Amare

no thanks

BMarsh615
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
You ain't kidding ... he shot 40% from 3-point range last season, 43-107 :strong:

How's his defense?

I'm not for sure, but he played on a couple of UCLA's Final Four teams, and they got there because of their defense.:thumbsup:

bronco_boi_5280
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM

no thanks

Oh wow. I'd do that in a heartbeat, BUT I would under no circumstances give Amare a contract. Isn't this coming year his last on this contract? I'd easily rent him for a year and then get him off the books.

Edit: His contract runs through 2011, but he has an early termination clause that would allow him to be an unrestricted free agent in 2010.

Yeah, I do that move in a heartbeat, because I believe he'd exercise that ETO in 2010, allowing the Nuggies to make a run at maybe Bosh? Don't know if that's realistic, but it'd free up a ton of money to make a move.

BMarsh615
07-13-2009, 12:56 PM

no thanks

Hilarious!

I would do that in a second. Amare isn't known for his back to the basket game, but he would definitely be better in the post than anyone the Nuggets have. If the Nuggets got him they would be just as good as any team in the NBA.

Rabb
07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Are you serious?

Amare is a defensive liability when compared to a guy like Kenyon...no way would I give that up

he can block shots but that is about it

no way would I do it

BMarsh615
07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Are you serious?

Amare is a defensive liability when compared to a guy like Kenyon...no way would I give that up

he can block shots but that is about it

no way would I do it

Amare is a freak. Kenyon is a very good defender, but he can't explode for 45 points, 15 rebounds, and 4 blocks like Amare can. Plus Amare is 5 years younger than Kenyon.

Rabb
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Amare is a freak. Kenyon is a very good defender, but he can't explode for 45 points, 15 rebounds, and 4 blocks like Amare can. Plus Amare is 5 years younger than Kenyon.

I agree with you on that, no doubt

I know it sounds stupid but it would almost make me feel like I did when AI was here, that we would have to many guys needing their points

Kaylore
07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Is Broncoboi Rhymesayers?

montrose
07-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I like Affalo, with the team's salary situation he's the kind of guy whose a nice, cheap pickup. I don't know much about Sharpe, doubt he sees the floor under King Karl.

broncofan2438
07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Dont know anything about either one. Never heard of them..Hopefully they can end up like birdman

Karenin
07-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Afflalo is a pretty decent player...unfortunately for him, in Detroit they decided Stuckey was the next coming of Isiah Thomas and he never really got a chance to compete for big minutes

dont know anything about Sharpe....Afflalo could be a good minutes guy for the Nugs behind Billups and he'll split time with the rook

ummmm... he's not a PG

bronco_boi_5280
07-13-2009, 02:35 PM
ummmm... he's not a PG

This is true, but the other guy is right too, Afflalo was buried on the bench behind both Stuckey, Rip Hamilton, and AI.

broncos-rock
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Nuggets acquire Afflalo, Sharpe from Pistons

39 minutes ago

Buzz up!
Print

DENVER (AP)—The Denver Nuggets acquired Arron Afflalo(notes) and Walter Sharpe(notes) from Detroit on Monday in exchange for a future second-round draft pick.

The Nuggets also received cash in the deal. The Pistons freed up close to $1.8 million in salary cap space.

Afflalo averaged 4.9 points in 74 games last season. The former UCLA star scored a career-high 24 at Houston on March 18.

Sharpe played in eight games with the Pistons last season. He also appeared in four with Fort Wayne of the NBA Development League. The 6-foot-9 forward was taken by the Seattle Sonics in the second round of the 2008 draft, before being dealt to Detroit later that night.

“We are very pleased to add two young promising prospects like Arron and Walter to our veteran roster,” said Mark Warkentien, the Nuggets’ vice president of basketball operations. “Arron is a proven NBA defender with an incredible work ethic and Walter is a talented but raw player with tremendous upside.”

Bronco X
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
It's nice to have one front office for a Denver team that is really savvy. Afflalo should be better than Dahntay, who just got a pretty ludicrous contract from the Pacers, which somehow spurred Dave Kreiger to pen a column crying about it (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12814469) because the Nuggets didn't match. Dahntay's defense was overrated except for the job he did on Paul in the round 1 series. Afflalo is probably just as good as a defender and he absolutely is a better offensive player. And he is cheaper.

I love it when the Nuggets deal with Joe Dumars.

Broncosfreak_56
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM

no thanks

That would be amazing. Outstanding scorers at all 3 levels of the court. Nobody could be double teamed.

bronco_boi_5280
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
It's nice to have one front office for a Denver team that is really savvy. Afflalo should be better than Dahntay, who just got a pretty ludicrous contract from the Pacers, which somehow spurred Dave Kreiger to pen a column crying about it (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12814469) because the Nuggets didn't match. Dahntay's defense was overrated except for the job he did on Paul in the round 1 series. Afflalo is probably just as good as a defender and he absolutely is a better offensive player. And he is cheaper.

I love it when the Nuggets deal with Joe Dumars.

Joe Dumars is the Nugget version of the Redskins!

But yeah, they are certainly gutting that team in Detroit.

Cmac821
07-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, lets go Nuggets! We did great last year and we have maintained key components and added some youth. Lets sign LK and keep to ourselves.

JCMElway
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Dont know anything about either one. Never heard of them..Hopefully they can end up like birdman

Addicted to Meth?

slyinky
07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't know anything about Walter Sharpe other than he needs to work on his interview skills....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2UWMYaq278&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2UWMYaq278&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bronco_boi_5280
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Addicted to Meth?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/KenyonMartin/Ba-Zing.jpg

TonyR
07-27-2009, 01:03 PM
From Bill Simmons:

Arron Afflalo, trade (Denver): Now this is how you run a team. You let someone else overpay Dahntay Jones (Indiana, $11 million, four years) and replace him with a short-term guy with the same skills (defense and 3-point shooting) for one-third of the price. I might dump Morey for the Wark (Denver's Mark Warkentien) as my role-model GM soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090727

BroncoBuff
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
From Bill Simmons:

Arron Afflalo, trade (Denver): Now this is how you run a team. You let someone else overpay Dahntay Jones (Indiana, $11 million, four years) and replace him with a short-term guy with the same skills (defense and 3-point shooting) for one-third of the price. I might dump Morey for the Wark (Denver's Mark Warkentien) as my role-model GM soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090727

Yes, Afflalo was a bargain ... and 40% 3-pointers last season, wow-za.