PDA

View Full Version : Draft and Lock-out next year

Wes Mantooth
07-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I heard Lincoln Kennedy and whoever elese the other guy is today talking about the possibility of the lock-out next year and it got me thinking about scenarios. Lets say we have a bad year and receive a top ten pick. What happens if a lock-out insues? Does the draft continue without a season?

BroncoBuff
07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Good question, and I also want to know ... does the whole CBA expire next year?

We know the salary cap will be gone, but do the other CBA terms, aka the RFA/UFA procedures also lapse?

tsiguy96
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
there is rules in place i think for years there is no CBA...like post expiration rules. not sure though

Dudeskey
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the owners did institute a lockout. No CBA = no play. I'm trying to remember if the NHL had a draft during the lockout. A little help?..™ ???

BroncoMan4ever
07-12-2009, 11:17 PM
i am pretty sure a draft would occur, but more than likely players drafted would not receive their contracts until the lockout was over. teams would own rights to players but the players wouldn't be getting paid

Killericon
07-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Never has Professional Sports seen anything even remotely successful as the Modern NFL, for both the players and the ownership. This isn't like the NHL, where owners were being bled dry and had to do something. I cannot possibly fathom a way in which there will be an NFL lockout.

Course, I'm probably wrong, but whatever. I will say that I was in Japan on an Exchange Trip when NHL Free Agency started after the lockout...I stayed up all night on forums and TSN.ca. Man, that was FUN.

kdissette
07-12-2009, 11:34 PM
yeah we will do horrible and have a top 10pick next year....too bad we traded it for a 2nd rd corner this year....****in lame....i am starting to hate mcdaniels

Hercules Rockefeller
07-13-2009, 05:02 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if the owners did institute a lockout. No CBA = no play. I'm trying to remember if the NHL had a draft during the lockout. A little help?.. ???

They held the '04 NHL draft, locked the players out for the season, and had reached an agreement by the '05 NHL draft.

gyldenlove
07-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Here is the deal:

2010 will happen no matter what, the lockout should it occur would be for the 2011 season.

2010 will be "uncapped", but the CBA will still be in effect so there are a number of rules:

RFA will still be in effect, in fact it will be expanded from normal years, since it is going to require 6 years of service to become UFA which will impact players drafted in 2005 and 2006 such as Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Brandon Marshall, Kyle Orton who would all have become UFA, but will be RFA instead.

In an uncapped year, each team has 1 franchise tender, as well as 2 transition tenders they can apply to their UFA players which will make UFA much more tricky.

In an uncapped year the teams who reach the playoffs the year before will have restrictions on the amount and size of contracts they can give to free agents.

In an uncapped year a player can recieve a salary increase of max 25% over the previous year meaning it is very hard to sign players coming off small contracts to large new contracts.

Last but not least, there will be no salary floor in an uncapped year, so if you are in a small market you can dump a lot of salary, give out several small deals and have a much smaller team salary.

The 2010 draft will happen like normally and should a lockout happen in 2011, the draft will still be held in a normal fashion.

bronco militia
07-13-2009, 06:41 AM
there will be no lockout...the players will have to strike if there's to be a work stoppage

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Here is the deal:

2010 will happen no matter what, the lockout should it occur would be for the 2011 season.

2010 will be "uncapped", but the CBA will still be in effect so there are a number of rules:

RFA will still be in effect, in fact it will be expanded from normal years, since it is going to require 6 years of service to become UFA which will impact players drafted in 2005 and 2006 such as Demarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Brandon Marshall, Kyle Orton who would all have become UFA, but will be RFA instead.

In an uncapped year, each team has 1 franchise tender, as well as 2 transition tenders they can apply to their UFA players which will make UFA much more tricky.

In an uncapped year the teams who reach the playoffs the year before will have restrictions on the amount and size of contracts they can give to free agents.

In an uncapped year a player can recieve a salary increase of max 25% over the previous year meaning it is very hard to sign players coming off small contracts to large new contracts.

Last but not least, there will be no salary floor in an uncapped year, so if you are in a small market you can dump a lot of salary, give out several small deals and have a much smaller team salary.

The 2010 draft will happen like normally and should a lockout happen in 2011, the draft will still be held in a normal fashion.
BIG THANKS for the summary, I knew most of it but was unaware of the "25% max increase" part!
Any idea when the "cut-off date" is to avoid an un-capped year in 2010???

I've seen and heard 4-5 interviews with NFLPA rep Demaurice Smith ... is it just me or does he have "issues" when asked a direct question??
I get the feeling he's an absolute fake, and isn't interested in getting a new player agreement done. (I still hope I am wrong.)

gyldenlove
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
BIG THANKS for the summary, I knew most of it but was unaware of the "25% max increase" part!
Any idea when the "cut-off date" is to avoid an un-capped year in 2010???

I've seen and heard 4-5 interviews with NFLPA rep Demaurice Smith ... is it just me or does he have "issues" when asked a direct question??
I get the feeling he's an absolute fake, and isn't interested in getting a new player agreement done. (I still hope I am wrong.)

The cutoff date is when the league year would begin I believe it is March 1st. Realisticly, they are probably going to enforce a negotiation deadline sometimes in the beginning of February to give teams some time to decide.

Smith is a lawyer, and a good one, he knows that if he gives up any little bit of information it can and will be used against him during negotiations, so he is staying as vague as possible when things are on the record.

My gut feeling is that the uncapped year will be averted. I think a lot of players have woken up and smelled the coffey. Many of the players who would have been in line for record setting deals are looking at 1 year at 2.9 million restricted free agency and the older players who will be free agents are looking at very small contracts since there is no salary floor, so many teams will dump salary like mad. Also since there is no cap, there is no cap acceleration for cutting players, so if you a player who is looking at a pretty high salary, you can cut them for free and replace them with much cheaper players. I would imagine that in an uncapped year, the league total salary would go down by something like 10-20% compared to a capped year.

Aside from a few top players who can become unrestricted free agents and not be tagged, almost every player stands to lose from this. On the other hand, the teams know that it is unstable with an uncapped season since if a rich team doesn't make the playoffs they can go head hunting (like Dallas or Washington). My feeling is that a new CBA will be proposed in december, if it sticks through the owner vote is another thing, but as it stands nobody is really interested in a cap free year.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Here is the deal:

Playoff teams will be under a 1 for 1 rule, they cannot sign a UFA unless they've lost a UFA of their own, and I thought it was a 30% rule and not 25%. Other than that, it's spot on from what I recall.

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-16-2009, 06:04 AM
The more I read the more I see an uncapped 2010 season and the end of the NFL's position as #1 sport in the US. Even "positive spin" pieces like this make me shudder!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4330393

... NFL players' union head urged members of Congress to consider the potential impact of labor strife on retired and disabled players. They could see their benefits cut unless there is a deal soon, executive director DeMaurice Smith said.
... only one more season will have a salary cap. When that goes, Smith said, so does the league's responsibility for paying its share of benefits for retired and disabled players. The league denies that.
"I don't think it's morally right" for those athletes to see their benefits reduced "when a league makes $8 billion a year," Smith said ...

Then comes this:
But NFL Vice President Joe Browne said in an e-mail that "there is nothing in the collective bargaining agreement that terminates pensions or disability benefits to our retired players in an uncapped year and it is wrong to suggest that this may occur if there is an uncapped season in 2010."

So the NFLPA is now represented by a scare-mongering liar ... WTF? ???

gyldenlove
07-16-2009, 12:05 PM
The more I read the more I see an uncapped 2010 season and the end of the NFL's position as #1 sport in the US. Even "positive spin" pieces like this make me shudder!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4330393

Then comes this:

So the NFLPA is now represented by a scare-mongering liar ... WTF? ???

The funny thing is that the retired players have sued the NFLPA several times over pensions and royalties that they NFLPA didn't pay. All of a sudden when it serves their purpose the NFLPA is worried about retired players whom they couldn't care less about a few months ago.

Purely a negotiation strategy, the amount of spin and lies we will hear over the next year is going to be unbelievable.

mizzoutigers
07-16-2009, 02:57 PM
There will not be a lockout. I think the NFL knows how devastating that could be to the sport. Things will get worked out in time.

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I really can't see a "winner" out of this, they're just going to keep bluffing each other. Who do you trust more: the rich guys or the greed guys?
IMO - The NFL has tried sewtting things up before and FAILED (see Mike Webster's case) (http://www.gridirongreats.org/WebsterByCySmith.html) and the Players Union has never tried - which is worse?
???

It all boils down to: who would lose MORE from a lock-out?

FireFly
07-16-2009, 05:05 PM
They will get something worked. But it will be at teh very last minute possible. The posturing, misdirection, arguments and back and forth will go right up until the very last possible second.

Take this to the bank: The new agreement will get done the last day/night it possibly can without bringing about an uncapped year.

lazarus4444
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I have confidence that there will not be an uncapped year. The players say they are not giving up anything but i believe they will. The owners are already rich so i think the players have more to lose and they will be the first ones to flinch and get a deal done.