PDA

View Full Version : OT: A Few seconds of panic

ro_50
07-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey guys,

I just got reading Stefan Fatsis' book "A Few seconds of panic" where he becomes a kicker and participates in the Denver Broncos training camp back in 2006.

If you read it, what were your guys impression of the book?

Personally, I enjoyed it.

Slade
07-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Have you ever ran a search in the mane on the topic? There are about 5 other threads on it.

Kaylore
07-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Have you ever ran a search in the mane on the topic? There are about 5 other threads on it.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=69452
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=68904
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76355
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=69134

theAPAOps5
07-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow this is like showing up late to prom but you have been graduated for 10 years.

SouthStndJunkie
07-11-2009, 12:54 PM
A Few Seconds of Search Function.

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow this is like showing up late to prom but you have been graduated for 10 years.

that's what I like about these high school girls, man; I get older, they stay the same age. ...

LonghornBronco
07-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't understand why you guys are so anal about sombody starting a current thread that they would like to talk about. It's like you are personally hurt by the fact there is a redundant thread. Did you ever think that someone would like to discuss the toppic with others in stead of being burried on the 16 page of an antiquated thread. You guys spend entrely too much time on the internet if it really bothers you that much.

Get a life!

Oh, and by the way I have read the book and enjoyed it very much. It was like hearing from the fly on the wall in dove valley...

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
MONSTA - HOOK!!!

http://www.notduck.com/imagesceleb/fatsis.jpg

theAPAOps5
07-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't understand why you guys are so anal about sombody starting a current thread that they would like to talk about. It's like you are personally hurt by the fact there is a redundant thread. Did you ever think that someone would like to discuss the toppic with others in stead of being burried on the 16 page of an antiquated thread. You guys spend entrely too much time on the internet if it really bothers you that much.

Get a life!

Oh, and by the way I have read the book and enjoyed it very much. It was like hearing from the fly on the wall in dove valley...

Sometimes I wonder if people take themselves too serious when they post about people taking themselves too serious.

I mean do you react this way around your buddies when they bust your balls over stupid stuff in real life.

I pretty much think everyone is just giving the guy a hard time and no one is really that "angry" but that may be just me.

theAPAOps5
07-11-2009, 01:46 PM
that's what I like about these high school girls, man; I get older, they stay the same age. ...

That has to be one of the greatest movie quotes in recent history. Love that movie, the cars make me drool!

TDmvp
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.hermann-uwe.de/files/images/more_bandwidth.preview.jpg

DomCasual
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Sometimes I wonder if people take themselves too serious when they post about people taking themselves too serious.

I mean do you react this way around your buddies when they bust your balls over stupid stuff in real life.

I pretty much think everyone is just giving the guy a hard time and no one is really that "angry" but that may be just me.

Seriously, man. First, you know I respect you. With that out of the way, I just have to say that I think you're taking yourself too serious about how he's taking himself too serious about you taking yourself too serious.

I don't mean to offend you at all. Honestly, that's not my intent - never will be. But you're kind of a douchebag.

bronco610
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Seriously, man. First, you know I respect you. With that out of the way, I just have to say that I think you're taking yourself too serious about how he's taking himself too serious about you taking yourself too serious.

I don't mean to offend you at all. Honestly, that's not my intent - never will be. But you're kind of a douchebag.

ROFL! ROFL! ROFL!

theAPAOps5
07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
My wife calls me a douche bag all the time. I feel right at home!

tsiguy96
07-11-2009, 05:15 PM
so did they let this guy into camp knowing he wanted to write a book about it?

maher_tyler
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Use the ****ing search function for ****s sake...IDIOT!! ;D

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
so did they let this guy into camp knowing he wanted to write a book about it?

Yep and he stabbed the organization in the back like a snake.

theAPAOps5
07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Yep and he stabbed the organization in the back like a snake.

What the **** are you talking about? Hilarious!

Malcontent
07-11-2009, 10:28 PM
That has to be one of the greatest movie quotes in recent history. Love that movie, the cars make me drool!

Dumb question...what movie is this quote from..I usually know this stuff.

theAPAOps5
07-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Dumb question...what movie is this quote from..I usually know this stuff.

Dazed and Confused. Matthew Mcconaughey is the one who says it.

DomCasual
07-11-2009, 11:58 PM
What the **** are you talking about? Hilarious!

Yeah, I'm wondering if we're talking about the same book. It seemed pretty fair. There were a few places he was critical. But even in those, he was respectful.

broncosteven
07-12-2009, 07:43 PM

At least he wasn't like Zona who just found out what Jello is made out of.

tsiguy96
07-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'm wondering if we're talking about the same book. It seemed pretty fair. There were a few places he was critical. But even in those, he was respectful.

how did this guy get a chance to compete in training camp in the first place? the team didnt know he was gonna write a book, right?

edit: bet the broncos got a nice cut out of this. hes 46 years old, he was 43 during 2006 training camp and he has no prior football experience. broncos knew all about this...

theAPAOps5
07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
At least he wasn't like Zona who just found out what Jello is made out of.

That was classic!

theAPAOps5
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
how did this guy get a chance to compete in training camp in the first place? the team didnt know he was gonna write a book, right?

edit: bet the broncos got a nice cut out of this. hes 46 years old, he was 43 during 2006 training camp and he has no prior football experience. broncos knew all about this...

I think you are being sarcastic but just in case. Yes I believe he sent requests to all the teams and the Broncos said yes. Shanahan and the team had the rights to view the book before it was published but didn't have the right to change anything.

Fatsis said they had no complaint with anything in the book.

tsiguy96
07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I think you are being sarcastic but just in case. Yes I believe he sent requests to all the teams and the Broncos said yes. Shanahan and the team had the rights to view the book before it was published but didn't have the right to change anything.

Fatsis said they had no complaint with anything in the book.

how was i being sarcastic? i had zero idea who this guy was before i googled him to find out he was a writer, i wasnt sure why teh broncos would let him in otherwise. i figured he may have written a book on the side but i found out it was just a business thing for the team.

theAPAOps5
07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
how was i being sarcastic? i had zero idea who this guy was before i googled him to find out he was a writer, i wasnt sure why teh broncos would let him in otherwise. i figured he may have written a book on the side but i found out it was just a business thing for the team.

I wasn't sure because this was heavily discussed in the old threads. I wasn't sure if you were keeping with the theme of busting the Original Posters balls!

tsiguy96
07-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I wasn't sure because this was heavily discussed in the old threads. I wasn't sure if you were keeping with the theme of busting the Original Posters balls!

never read the old threads, too long.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-12-2009, 09:32 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6PbD56mSkS8/RqISbwwmnfI/AAAAAAAAAJw/C_VixdXBPl4/s320/233px-NYTapollo11walk.jpg

_Oro_
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I think Fatsis keeps making new accounts and posting this ****e to try to drum up interest for his book. Seriously!

BroncoBuff
07-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I bet there's maybe 6-8 players max still here who were on the team during that 2006 pre-season. Hamilton, Champ, DJ, and the '06 rooks Scheff, Dumervil and Kuper.

Book was mostly about Elam, Plummer, Sauerbrun and Preston Parsons, believe it or not ...

sfatsis
07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
I think Fatsis keeps making new accounts and posting this ****e to try to drum up interest for his book. Seriously!

Um, no. Life's much too short for that. But if any posters/lurkers here haven't read the book, it'll be out in paperback in three weeks. Much cheaper! With a new cover! Ans a shorter subtitle! And a new epilogue about Shanahan/Bowlen/Cutler etc.!

Also, for the nth time, the Broncos had no rights to review the manuscript before publication, and didn't. And they did not profit in any way from the book. I was allowed into camp as a writer and granted full access to the organization.

As you were,
Stefan

tsiguy96
07-13-2009, 09:44 AM
that just seems crazy the broncos would do that, with absolutely zero benefit to them....

broncosteven
07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Um, no. Life's much too short for that. But if any posters/lurkers here haven't read the book, it'll be out in paperback in three weeks. Much cheaper! With a new cover! Ans a shorter subtitle! And a new epilogue about Shanahan/Bowlen/Cutler etc.!

Also, for the nth time, the Broncos had no rights to review the manuscript before publication, and didn't. And they did not profit in any way from the book. I was allowed into camp as a writer and granted full access to the organization.

As you were,
Stefan

How is GI Joel doing?

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
07-14-2009, 02:46 AM

As you were,
Stefan

I'm sure it's the last time the Broncos do anything like that...."beware of snakes!!"

Seriously, no one here would stomach your self-important placekicker subplot BUT FOR THE ACCESS the Broncos granted you. And without your media badge, you would probably be as socially appealing to the players as a middle-aged Milhouse from The Simpsons.

I'm sorry that Cutler found you to be palpably false. It wasn't that you are small, a journalist or a kicker (which you really aren't!) --- you just have no charisma!! Pretty sad you would log onto a message board to hawk your goods and micromanage a very tepid reaction to you book (in its most susceptible market segment, no less!)

I love when celebrity authors come down to earth to speak to us so they can teach us how to kick field goals to the stars!

GTFO da 'Mane

Best Regards,
Rotadius de sa Millox

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm sure it's the last time the Broncos do anything like that...."beware of snakes!!"

Seriously, no one here would stomach your self-important placekicker subplot BUT FOR THE ACCESS the Broncos granted you. And without your media badge, you would probably be as socially appealing to the players as a middle-aged Milhouse from The Simpsons.

I'm sorry that Cutler found you to be palpably false. It wasn't that you are small, a journalist or a kicker (which you really aren't!) --- you just have no charisma!! Pretty sad you would log onto a message board to hawk your goods and micromanage a very tepid reaction to you book (in its most susceptible market segment, no less!)

I love when celebrity authors come down to earth to speak to us so they can teach us how to kick field goals to the stars!

GTFO da 'Mane

Best Regards,
Rotadius de sa Millox

http://bevan.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/pwned4.jpg

vancejohnson82
07-14-2009, 09:00 AM

GTFO da 'Mane

Best Regards,
Rotadius de sa Millox

Wow....an unneccessarily long, accusatory post from one of the Cutler apologists. Albeit, with as much misdirected venom and hate that we have all come to expect. Welcome to the Mane.

theAPAOps5
07-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Wow Joshua, you jealous a guy got access and you didn't? I mean reading you it sounds like you have a serious crush on Cutler. Bet you would give anything to shower near him. Maybe drop the soap or something?

vancejohnson82
07-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Wow Joshua, you jealous a guy got access and you didn't? I mean reading you it sounds like you have a serious crush on Cutler. Bet you would give anything to shower near him. Maybe drop the soap or something?

It's strange....

We actually manage to get a few posters in here that have had access or other knowledge other than our speculation (Lamney, Fatsis, Kupes Dad) which we should appreciate and yet we get stuff like this posted

Not your post ApA.

theAPAOps5
07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I got what you meant vance

tsiguy96
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
now can someone explain why the broncos would let fatsis in, with absolutely nothing in it for them except possibly revealing details that probably shoudlnt have been revealed to the public? whats in store for them?

vancejohnson82
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
now can someone explain why the broncos would let fatsis in, with absolutely nothing in it for them except possibly revealing details that probably shoudlnt have been revealed to the public? whats in store for them?

whats the purpose of HBOs "Hard Knocks"??

I mean, there wasnt going to be much revealed, especially since so much changes from year to year.....I guess there really isnt much tangible that they can "gain" from this

However, I think the fans make out like bandits with all of these glimpses

broncosteven
07-14-2009, 11:37 AM

I thought Cuter is a tribe member which would explain the Joshua love.

theAPAOps5
07-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I thought Cuter is a tribe member which would explain the Joshua love.

Ah I stand corrected!

Mr Chatterboodamn
07-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Joshua, you broke that man down into subparticles....please don't hurt him hammer! Awesome and proper beatdown. You are the chosen one!

kupesdad
07-18-2009, 12:36 PM

My son was watching that movie and he asked me if high school was really like that in the 70's. The only other movie that was as dead on as that one was fast timesat Ridgemont high.