PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is looking for a GPS, these deals cant be beat

PaintballCLE
07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I would recommend navigon or tomtom......with my preference being navigon because its the only one to have the "realview" lane assist (shows the actual road signs so you know which lane you have to be in well before you get there) The navigon one for 69.99 is fantastic, I have two of them.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2372&name=GPS-Navigation&cm_sp=LN-_-EL-_-NA

Popps
07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Any leads on a good pair of Jordans?

PaintballCLE
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Any leads on a good pair of Jordans?

I think i saw a thread about those floating around here.........

Ill tell you what, just send me your credit card info, and ill have you a pair of jordans in a week for 20 bucks.........sound good? :wiggle:

Popps
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Our Garmin Nuvi is crapping out. Won't hold a charge longer than a couple of hours and you can't use it while it's charing. (!) It works great when it works... though the interface isn't exactly intuitive, imo. But, the battery basically dying after a couple years without any way to power it using AA's or anything is pretty unacceptable.

We just drove across the country and my iPhone was more useful than the Garmin with regards to navigation. (And weather pattern recognition.)

Popps
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Ill tell you what, just send me your credit card info, and ill have you a pair of jordans in a week for 20 bucks.........sound good? :wiggle:

No problem. I'll include our SS #'s as well, just in case you need them.

:thumbsup:

PaintballCLE
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Our Garmin Nuvi is crapping out. Won't hold a charge longer than a couple of hours and you can't use it while it's charing. (!) It works great when it works... though the interface isn't exactly intuitive, imo. But, the battery basically dying after a couple years without any way to power it using AA's or anything is pretty unacceptable.

We just drove across the country and my iPhone was more useful than the Garmin with regards to navigation. (And weather pattern recognition.)

you cant use it while its charging? thats not right.........the whole point of them is to be plugged in while your using it.

Though that being said, the garmins are known for having piss poor batteries and battery problems thats why i never recommend them to anyone

PaintballCLE
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
No problem. I'll include our SS #'s as well, just in case you need them.

:thumbsup:

well in that case they just went down to $15/pair ROFL!

Popps
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
you cant use it while its charging? thats not right.........the whole point of them is to be plugged in while your using it.

Though that being said, the garmins are known for having piss poor batteries and battery problems thats why i never recommend them to anyone

Yea, exactly. When plugged into the car charger, it just locks into a screen that says it's charging. I cant' get it to budge off of it. Like you said, what's the point!?

I'm guessing it's a bug. I can't imagine they designed it that way.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into the Tom Tom.

PaintballCLE
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Yea, exactly. When plugged into the car charger, it just locks into a screen that says it's charging. I cant' get it to budge off of it. Like you said, what's the point!?

I'm guessing it's a bug. I can't imagine they designed it that way.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into the Tom Tom.

yeah the tomtoms have the best/most POI's of anyone........I jsut personally like the navigons because they offer the realtime view which comes in handy especially for complicated exits or where you are stuck in traffic so you know which lane you have to be in ahead of time.

I have both, a tomtom ONE and the navigon 2000

ScottXray
07-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I would recommend navigon or tomtom......with my preference being navigon because its the only one to have the "realview" lane assist (shows the actual road signs so you know which lane you have to be in well before you get there) The navigon one for 69.99 is fantastic, I have two of them.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=2372&name=GPS-Navigation&cm_sp=LN-_-EL-_-NA

I have tried the navigon ( it was a year ago) and returned it because it has absolutely the worst search function of any GPS I found. The Realview WAS nice , but the way it searches for POI's is rediculously bad (unless they changed it) .

It will only search for POI's within the CITY you are in. So, If I'm in, say, Aurora, CO, and ask it to find the airport (DIA) for Denver it will report NO POI found. You have to manually expand the search area to find the airports and then it will list every podunk small field and airport within your parameters (1 mile, 5 miles, etc. etc.) .

If you are in a strange city it is practically useless to use it to find an unfamiliar POI (point of interest), as it limits the search too much. You have to know exactly where the POI is (city) to find it! Try to find the Cinncinatti, Ohio airport (which is in Kentucky) with it and you will be a very unhappy guy.

I currently use a V7 NAV730 I picked up for $99 in late 07 after trying a Garmin, Navigon, Mio and a few others. It does the job, and is able to get map updates for free (so far.) The Premium maps (available from their support site) load onto a 2GB Sd card and have 11 million POIs. Oh. by the way, I also kept a copy of the Navigon 2000 Flash rom and can run its software on the Nav730 also, by copying it onto the 4GB SD I use, as a separate file ....(everything but the volume keys work normally). However, I don't use it because of the search problem.

Unfortunately it looks like the V7 Nav 730/740 is no longer manufactured.

Check out this site for LOTS of information about different GPS's and how to change modify them to run alternate software , etc. plus tons of reviews etc.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

Los Broncos
07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I can beat that deal, going after work to steal one.

bfoflcommish
07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
have a tomtom, love it!

IHaveALight
07-09-2009, 03:28 PM
How well does navi work on an IPhone with AT&T?
I currently carry around a Garmin, cell phone and IPOD. And now that there's a 32GB IPhone I would absolutely love to turn those 3 devices into 1. But I do a lot of driving for work (even out of state) so I need a GPS that works very well and also works out of cell range. The navi on my Sprint smart phone is complete garbage. About a year ago I had Verizon navi and while it was a lot better then Sprint it still didn't come close to Garmin level.

Ironlung
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
i have a nuvi and can use it while charging, no problem.

PaintballCLE
07-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I have tried the navigon ( it was a year ago) and returned it because it has absolutely the worst search function of any GPS I found. The Realview WAS nice , but the way it searches for POI's is rediculously bad (unless they changed it) .

It will only search for POI's within the CITY you are in. So, If I'm in, say, Aurora, CO, and ask it to find the airport (DIA) for Denver it will report NO POI found. You have to manually expand the search area to find the airports and then it will list every podunk small field and airport within your parameters (1 mile, 5 miles, etc. etc.) .

If you are in a strange city it is practically useless to use it to find an unfamiliar POI (point of interest), as it limits the search too much. You have to know exactly where the POI is (city) to find it! Try to find the Cinncinatti, Ohio airport (which is in Kentucky) with it and you will be a very unhappy guy.

I currently use a V7 NAV730 I picked up for $99 in late 07 after trying a Garmin, Navigon, Mio and a few others. It does the job, and is able to get map updates for free (so far.) The Premium maps (available from their support site) load onto a 2GB Sd card and have 11 million POIs. Oh. by the way, I also kept a copy of the Navigon 2000 Flash rom and can run its software on the Nav730 also, by copying it onto the 4GB SD I use, as a separate file ....(everything but the volume keys work normally). However, I don't use it because of the search problem.

Unfortunately it looks like the V7 Nav 730/740 is no longer manufactured.

Check out this site for LOTS of information about different GPS's and how to change modify them to run alternate software , etc. plus tons of reviews etc.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

yeah i agree about the search but they did fix it with the new software.......almost all of the GPS now have the new version on them, but if it doesn't you can upgrade for free on their web site

Mr. Elway
07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd proceed with caution on the refurbished stuff. Some of those are as good as new, others have been repaired.