PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Surtain to Denver?

bronco0608
07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Here is blurb from a Miami newspaper:

The Dolphins have kept tabs and spoken casually with agents about a few unsigned cornerbacks, primarily Mike McKenzie and Travis Fisher, in case there are injuries in camp or if Eric Green and rookies Sean Smith and Vontae Davis struggle. Still, a roster addition seems unlikely, with Miami eager to develop its rookies. Among other cornerbacks unemployed: ex-Dolphins Sam Madison (a guest instructor recently for Miami's Lingerie Football League team) and Patrick Surtain (has been linked to Denver).

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/1131785-p2.html

Interesting. Very Interesting.

Beantown Bronco
07-08-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd much rather Bly at the 800K he's making in SF.....

chrisp
07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
...ex-Dolphins Sam Madison (a guest instructor recently for Miami's Lingerie Football League team)

Tough gig eh? Who says these guys just mess around in the offseason...

kamakazi_kal
07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
maybe he's being brought in as our defensive scapegoat for the upcoming season.

Peoples Champ
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I will take him for Cheap

Punisher
07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Anything to help this Sinking Ship is fine with me.

BMarsh615
07-08-2009, 08:20 AM
If we are going to sign a washed up corner I would much rather it be Ty Law.

Rabb
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I am Surtain that I do not want

Gcver2ver3
07-08-2009, 08:31 AM

no thanks...he'll just bring PI calls along with his poor play...

cmhargrove
07-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Here is blurb from a Miami newspaper:

The Dolphins have kept tabs and spoken casually with agents about a few unsigned cornerbacks, primarily Mike McKenzie and Travis Fisher, in case there are injuries in camp or if Eric Green and rookies Sean Smith and Vontae Davis struggle. Still, a roster addition seems unlikely, with Miami eager to develop its rookies. Among other cornerbacks unemployed: ex-Dolphins Sam Madison (a guest instructor recently for Miami's Lingerie Football League team) and Patrick Surtain (has been linked to Denver).

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/1131785-p2.html

Interesting. Very Interesting.

Not really.

oubronco
07-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Why not it's not like our secondary is old

bronco militia
07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
after signing every available RB this offseason, Mc****face has turned his attention to DB's

footstepsfrom#27
07-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Rumor

Hercules Rockefeller
07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
When was he ever linked to Denver?

watermock
07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Jesus.

When I thought we'd be rebuilding the defense, I assumed it would be with players under 31.

My bad.

dbfan21
07-08-2009, 08:47 AM
No thanks. I think our defensive backfield is fine without him.

NFLBRONCO
07-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Jesus.

When I thought we'd be rebuilding the defense, I assumed it would be with players under 31.

My bad.

NE way is adding old players of course Shanny did plenty of it too.

SoDak Bronco
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
If this guy were to sign and make our final 52...wow, just wow.

Punisher
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Broncos looking to sign Surtain?And where not going to sign Marshall?

SoDak Bronco
07-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Lets see we have- Champ, Andre Goodmen, JMFW, Alpho. Smith, Bell...and Surtain? I guess if we keep 7 CB's or if he beats out Bell

SoDak Bronco
07-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Not really sure what point you are trying to make here. These are like comparing apples and oranges.

oubronco
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Not really sure what point you are trying to make here. These are like comparing apples and oranges.

I think it's an old vs. young reference

Beantown Bronco
07-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Didn't you hear? If Marshall plays at a ProBowl level this year and stays out of trouble, they'll consider resigning him at the end of the year.

MileHighMagic
07-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I wish we tried to grab as many d-lineman as we do corners.

SoDak Bronco
07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I wish we tried to grab as many d-lineman as we do corners.

I hear Michael Dean Perry is available..that'd be a decent signing Hilarious!

supermanhr9
07-08-2009, 09:06 AM
we don't need another CB, we have MOFO and Mini Champ!

Taco John
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Not sure the point of cutting Bly if Surtain is the "answer."

But at this point, we need a CB, so might as well do it.

bronco militia
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM

how is that?

bronco militia
07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
13 db are on the roster....7 of them are CB's

spdirty
07-08-2009, 09:17 AM
WTF did McDaniels like Surtain when he was poppin pimples and thinks it would be "rad" to sign this guy?

DBroncos4life
07-08-2009, 09:20 AM
what is it with coaches in Denver that think D's are won and lost with DBs?

Hercules Rockefeller
07-08-2009, 09:22 AM
One more time, when has Surtain ever been linked to Denver?

A newspaper article claiming he's been linked to Denver does not make it so. Usually you need a prior article saying Denver has interest in PS before someone else can claim that he's been linked to Denver.

Popps
07-08-2009, 09:26 AM

Surtain isn't the answer. He'd be some cheap depth that the young DBs could learn from, I'm guessing.

Goodman will battle for the job with Smith, is my guess.

Beantown Bronco
One more time, when has Surtain ever been linked to Denver?

A couple of girls were talking on the light rail about the Broncos and how Alphonso Smith was probably going to be a bust.....then one of them mentioned that she was going tanning after work. Burger Bill overheard them, but was munching on a "hungry size" bag of Doritos at the time, so he most likely missed a few key words.

watermock
At least we'll always have Champ's secret, private remarks about Cutler, huh.

TonyR
07-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow. The haters have sunk to such depths that they're now melting down about a blurb saying that Denver has possibly been linked to a FA DB. Some of you people can get worked up about seemingly anything. Let's wait until they sign the guy (which probably won't happen) before we get too worked up about what a disaster it is, what do you say?

broncofan2438
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Aint gonna happen......prob not gonna happen....hope it doesnt happen

bronco militia
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Aint gonna happen......prob not gonna happen....hope it doesnt happen

:giggle:

Rabb
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I love how it took no time at all to start bashing McD for this

I love some of you, DIAF please, thanks

bronco militia
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM

granted this rumor doesn't make sense, but neither has this offseason.

please, play a long or GTFO! ;D

spdirty
07-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Oh we don't have good reason, after this ****ing offseason he gave us?

Lolad
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Didn't you hear? If Marshall plays at a ProBowl level this year and stays out of trouble, they'll consider resigning him at the end of the year.

How many times has owners told the players we'll give you a new contract at the end of the year and never cam through? He's played 2 pro bowl seasons and you're asking for a 3rd to give him his money. I think he'll just wind up resenting the team an leave when his contract is up. They'll probably give him the franchise tag. And after that he's gone with us getting no compensation in return

Beantown Bronco
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
You obviously missed yesterday's discussion so probably didn't realize that it was sarcastic.

BroncoMan4ever
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
speaking of rumored interests in remaining FA players, has there been any word at all on Vonnie Holliday? he is an experienced 3-4 end, and with so many teams converting to a 3-4, i think it would make sense someone would bring him in. is he pricing himself too high or are there character or injury concerns i am unaware of with him?

Traveler
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
speaking of rumored interests in remaining FA players, has there been any word at all on Vonnie Holliday? he is an experienced 3-4 end, and with so many teams converting to a 3-4, i think it would make sense someone would bring him in. is he pricing himself too high or are there character or injury concerns i am unaware of with him?

Meh. I say we wait till Arizona cuts Alan Branch.

Arizona Cardinals Pre-Training Camp Roster Projections: Nose Tackles
by Hawkwind on Jul 6, 2009 7:24 AM MDT in 2009 Camp & Preseason 22 comments

Today's look at the nose tackle position will conclude our look at the defensive side of the ball for the Arizona Cardinals (check out previous stories on the safeties, corner backs, inside linebackers, outside linebackers and defensive ends). As our luck would have it, the nose tackle spot in the only position on the defensive side of the ball in which the starter isn't set in stone given the uncertainty with Gabe Watson's knee. We all know that he had a second "clean up" surgery earlier in the off season and hopefully this surgery will allow him to play without pain (something he couldn't do last year). Outside of Watson's knee there are the other normal faces competing for roster spots and playing time but there is a new face who could push his way into the roster.

Locks

Gabe Watson, Bryan Robinson

On the Bubble

Alan Branch, Rodney Leisle

If the Cardinals had to play a game today (as much as we pray, it's just not going to happen), Bryan Robinson would probably line up at nose tackle but I suspect the team would much rather have Watson as their starter. That's not a knock on Robinson but Watson has the size and ability to be a 'true nose' while Robinson is more suited to be a stellar backup all over the defensive line. I'd imagine that Watson, who could be an unrestricted free agent next off season, will do everything in his power to be healthy and have a big season considering that he should be in line for a significant payday. As for Branch and Leisle, we'll address them after the jump but for the record, neither of them are eligible for the practice squad.

Alan Branch: Branch's status as a "bubble" guy might be debatable but there's no doubt that the team is tired of him showing up overweight and under-motivated. Conflicting reports have come out this off season with some reporting that his attendance at off season workouts have been better than in year's past while others have written that Branch still showed up weighing more than the franchise would have liked. Regardless of where Branch stands today, the guy has the potential to be a disruptive force wherever he plays but he'll have to get his head wrapped around the physical demands of being a professional football player. On a somewhat side note, there have been some rumors that the staff has tried moving Branch to the less taxing position of defensive end where his size would be an advantage. If that's true, it might be a last gasp effort to get something out of a guy that the franchise essentially used two draft picks to select.

Rodney Leisle: Leisle (6'3, 315) is a complete wild card and I wouldn't be surprised if no one reading this had ever seen him play a single down of NFL football. He hasn't played in the NFL since 2006 but he was a 5th round draft pick of the Saints in 2004. He played in 17 games over his first three seasons before being cut in the training camp of 2007. He resurfaced with the Giants during their training camp last year but a rib injury ended his season before it even got started. He spent some time in Canadian football with the Saskatchewan Roughriders during their 2008 season. At best Leisle is trying to push Branch off the roster, but I'd have to think that he'll have to significantly better to make that happen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The strength of his unit depends solely on the health of Gabe Watson. If he recovers fully from his knee injury, this unit is strong enough to solidify the middle of a 3-4 defense that's trying to climb into the top 10 of the NFL. If he struggles for another season and the Cardinals are forced to wade through another nose tackle by commitee season with Robinson leading the way, it's possible that the middle of this defense will continue to be a weak spot. Given the uncertainty of Watson's health, it's a virtual lock for the Cardinals to carry three (but not four) nose tackles so a Branch versus Leisle battle could heat up during the preseason. How do you feel about the depth at nose tackle? Are you confident that Watson returns to health and what confidence do you have in Branch?

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2009/7/6/864188/arizona-cardinals-pre-training#comments

Rabb
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Oh we don't have good reason, after this ****ing offseason he gave us?

aside from Cutler, I guess I just don't know what else has happened that is causing such a stir

the draft?

whatever though, I am not going to get into the great Pro/Anti McD thing I just want football to start so one of the sides can shut up already

BroncoBuff
07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Lets see we have- Champ, Andre Goodmen, JMFW, Alpho. Smith, Bell...and Surtain? I guess if we keep 7 CB's or if he beats out Bell

Totally agree ... makes exactly zero sense.

Crushaholic
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Surtain-ly not...

BroncoBuff
07-08-2009, 12:19 PM

We need one? Sarcasm, right? hmmm...

BroncoBuff
07-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Surtain-ly not...

I see what you did there ... niiiice! :notworthy

i4jelway7
07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
why Surtain.. why not bring back Kelly Herndon ???

Punisher
07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't get it,why give up your 2010 1st round pick for a CB then sign a Old CB?

Beantown Bronco
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't get it,why give up your 2010 1st round pick for a CB then sign a Old CB?

They've finally looked at some tape of Smith and realized what they did. :wiggle:

Punisher
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
They've finally looked at some tape of Smith and realized what they did. :wiggle:

Why? Why God? Why My team?

cutthemdown
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I could care less, older players always worth a looksie if you have a roster spot and they aren't too expensive. Pats signed a lot of washed up guys who helped out so Mcdaniels will be liking older vets who know the game really well. You may not be able to start them, but they still have something to add to the team.

What about McCalister from balt though? isn't he also still out there?

Bob's your Information Minister
07-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Surtain might actually be slower than Ty Law now, if you can believe it.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh my god, even if they DID sign Surtain (and we've all only heard it as an aside in this article) why do people assume 1) he'd make the team or 2) he'd get significant playing time. People just love overreacting to EVERYTHING. He'd be a minimum salary signing to come in and compete. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH ALPHONSO SMITH. Believe it or not, you get to keep your draft picks for more than a year. God, people just love to bitch

Beantown Bronco
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
It has NOTHING TO DO WITH ALPHONSO SMITH. Believe it or not, you get to keep your draft picks for more than a year. God, people just love to b****

You're quite good at detecting sarcasm/jokes.

DBroncos4life
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Jack Willams will beat out Smith.

vancejohnson82
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM

if Jack Williams takes back that preseason pick for 6 last year instead of getting tripped up by the QB, everything would be different

SonOfLe-loLang
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
You're quite good at detecting sarcasm/jokes.

Wasnt responding to your post.

Kaylore
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Can we wait until the boat is out of port before we panic and jump overboard?

tsiguy96
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
a miami newspaper, like 3000 miles from denver, says denver is linked to a CB that not a single other press has caught wind of, and suddenly mcdaniels destroyed the team, again.

wait til we sign the guy before you pronounce the season over please

Bob's your Information Minister
07-08-2009, 03:10 PM
a miami newspaper, like 3000 miles from denver, says denver is linked to a CB that not a single other press has caught wind of, and suddenly mcdaniels destroyed the team, again.

wait til we sign the guy before you pronounce the season over please

Your season was over the minute Jay Cutler decided he didn't want any part of the Denver Broncos.

tsiguy96
07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Your season was over the minute Jay Cutler decided he didn't want any part of the Denver Broncos.

and apparently your season just began when you got matt cassel. that is equally embarrassing ;)

Punisher
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Can we wait until the boat is out of port before we panic and jump overboard?

I Doubt that I'll jump Over Board,because i have gills.But i hate to see my team in the bottom of the Sea with the likes of The Super Sonics.

OABB
07-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Your season was over after superbowl 4.

broncofan7
07-08-2009, 03:25 PM

I concur

broncofan7
07-08-2009, 03:29 PM
if Jack Williams takes back that preseason pick for 6 last year instead of getting tripped up by the QB, everything would be different

He took one back against 'Zona in the pres-season finale I believe......which means he would have had 2 TD returns if he would have finished the one you mentioned--and Richard Bartel, the QB who threw the pick, looked quite impressive last pre-season for Dallas--If either Orton or Simms get injured this preseason--I'd like to see us trade for him or the backup in Carolina, Matt Moore

tsiguy96
07-08-2009, 03:35 PM
He took one back against 'Zona in the pres-season finale I believe......which means he would have had 2 TD returns if he would have finished the one you mentioned--and Richard Bartel, the QB who threw the pick, looked quite impressive last pre-season for Dallas--If either Orton or Simms get injured this preseason--I'd like to see us trade for him or the backup in Carolina, Matt Moore

id be interested in making a move for brian brohm, he was pretty highly rated, not hes 3rd on packers depth chart.

broncofan7
07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
id be interested in making a move for brian brohm, he was pretty highly rated, not hes 3rd on packers depth chart.

That is a good suggestion...i'd like that too

broncofan7
07-08-2009, 04:51 PM
why Surtain.. why not bring back Kelly Herndon ???

Love your avatar man! Lucky son of a gun.......

Ramathorn
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM

ditto. Too bad this titanic cant be saved unless we get a new captain who can pilot the ship.

Orange_Beard
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Thank God we are not waisting any more money on DLine

tsiguy96
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
ditto. Too bad this titanic cant be saved unless we get a new captain who can pilot the ship.

yea, mcdaniels is such a horrible coach, this experiment already failed unless we fire him now and get someone else. we dont even need to see TC or a real game, mcd is a failure for sure.

eddie mac
07-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Taco the point of cutting Bly was so that Goodman and Smith could be paid over the next few seasons.

eddie mac
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Jack should be ahead of him on the depth chart if he indeed learned anything last year.

Killericon
07-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Maybe he can move to safety.

eddie mac
07-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Surtain isn't the answer. He'd be some cheap depth that the young DBs could learn from, I'm guessing.

Goodman will battle for the job with Smith, is my guess.

I'd say Goodman's a solid sharpie entry on that right side given the bonus we just gave him. Smith is a rook and will have to learn the ropes at Dime or Nickle if he's good enough early.

ZONA
07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
after signing every available RB this offseason, Mc****face has turned his attention to DB's

Mc****face? How old are you? Grow up.

Popps
07-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd say Goodman's a solid sharpie entry on that right side given the bonus we just gave him. Smith is a rook and will have to learn the ropes at Dime or Nickle if he's good enough early.

I think Goodman is meant to be a Ray Crockett-type player. Solid, perhaps not spectacular, but a guy that McDaniels got to watch play quite a bit, and apparently he and Nolan thought highly of him.

He'll provide an experienced starter and a guy the younger DBs can aim to unseat as a starter at some point. (Goodman is 30.)

To me, Bly/Goodman probably aren't vastly different, talent-wise... but there must have been some reasons they thought he was a better fit for the defense.

Excited to see him play.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01GU2wDcKX3Gy/340x.jpg

broncswin
07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
NE way is adding old players of course Shanny did plenty of it too.

oh no you didn't...how could you say shanny ever messed up on this boardHa!

Ramathorn
07-09-2009, 08:04 PM
yea, mcdaniels is such a horrible coach, this experiment already failed unless we fire him now and get someone else. we dont even need to see TC or a real game, mcd is a failure for sure.

thats what im saying! great minds think alike.