PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Make Their Own Pizza?

cmhargrove
07-07-2009, 01:30 PM
So i've been trying a couple different crust recipes, and I will be trying another tonight. I figured i'd ask the Mane.

Anyone have a great Pizza recipe (besides Dominos). I am looking for the crust recipe + entire "pies" you have cooked.

Yes, I can look up recipes on the internet, but I want to know which ones you have actually tried and liked.

Hotrod
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I just use the canned pizza crusts.

Then use BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken and garlic..........maybe olives if you like.

MMMMMMMM

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Canned is fine. Add a little olive oil and some parmesan around the edge.

And to kick it up a bit - slap that bitch on the grill.

Hotrod
07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Canned is fine. Add a little olive oil and some parmesan around the edge.

And to kick it up a bit - slap that b**** on the grill.

Oh **** I never thought about that.

Rohirrim
07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I make my own dough: Flour, salt, water, yeast. Let it rise a few hours. Roll out your pizzas. Slightly brush them with olive oil (so they don't get soggy) and then put what you like. My family favorite is to brush on some pesto and sprinkle with some cheeses. Put a pizza stone on your grill and away you go.

gyldenlove
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I have made my own a bunch of times.

I prefer a really simply dough, flour, water, yeast, a bit of salt and olive oil, let it rise on the back of a CRT TV or computer monitor for about 45 minutes, roll onto some baking paper.

For topping I take a can of diced tomato, pour out most of the liquid, put the chunks and a bit of the liquid in a blender with some cloves of garlic, some basil and oregano and some chili or hot peppers and blend it into a sauce.

Be liberal with red onion, mushroom (sliced quite thickly, use fresh), green pepper, fry up some low-fat minced beef and add pepperoni and a couple of handfulls of shredded cheese (mix of cheddar and mozza works well, but anything really goes). Spice with additional garlic and or chili powder as needed. Bake for about 15-20 minutes.

alkemical
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Guinness beer crust pizza - with BBQ chix - no extra bbq sauce - smoked chedder - black olives

cutthemdown
07-07-2009, 02:33 PM
The problem with cooking pizza at home that is as good as the pizzeria is the oven. Real pizza ovens get 600-700-800 degrees and that's what makes pizzas from the real pizza ovens better then at home.

Most home ovens, what 550 max?

One thing you can do is get a pizza stone you put in oven first and heat that sucker up as hot as the oven will get. Then place pizza on stone and don't open oven door until its done.

cmhargrove
07-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Guinness beer crust pizza - with BBQ chix - no extra bbq sauce - smoked chedder - black olives

Don't go spoutin' your trash about Guinness beer pizza if you don't have a recipe...

Popps
07-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I make my own dough: Flour, salt, water, yeast. Let it rise a few hours. Roll out your pizzas. Slightly brush them with olive oil (so they don't get soggy) and then put what you like. My family favorite is to brush on some pesto and sprinkle with some cheeses. Put a pizza stone on your grill and away you go.

Crust is everything. I'm a pizza fanatic. Care to share your ratios? I've never made crust but want to try. How much salt, water, yeast, etc?

cmhargrove
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Crust is everything. I'm a pizza fanatic. Care to share your ratios? I've never made crust but want to try. How much salt, water, yeast, etc?

I have tonight's recipe at home. I'm picking up a little Semolina flour to round it out. If it works as well as advertised "the best Pizza crust ever," I'll let you know the recipe.

Tonight's recipe uses a "delayed fermentation" recipe that you make, then put in the fridge for a day or three. When you want the pizza, you take out a dough ball and let it rise then. Two hours of rising, then this is a recipe you actually "toss" which is why I wanted to give it a shot. It is supposed to activate the glutens and make a different type of crust. From the description, it is supposed to create a thin, authentic italian style of crust.

I'll let you know...

ghwk
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh man and here I am enjoying a Boboli crust, boboli sauce then a boatload of cheese and other extra's and lovin it....I'm not worthy but the kids have a blast making it!

Rohirrim
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM

I can't tell because I don't know. One secret is for every two cups of regular flour I throw in a cup of cake flour. Usually for a four pizza batch I'll use two sleeves of yeast started in lukewarm water. I put in a good amount of salt to the flour. As far as adding water goes, it's a feel thing. I want it slightly elastic on the skin but still with some resistance. Sometimes I'll let it rise for a whole day, but minimum is two hours. Then I roll it out thin. Brooklyn style. ;D

Ray Finkle
07-07-2009, 04:37 PM

I do a similar crust. Since I am the only non-vegetarian in the house, most of the pizza's we make are veggie.....usually some combo of the ones below.

Option 1- Red Onion, Kamata olives, Mushrooms, Peppers (red or yellow), Green olives.

Option 2- Mushrooms, pepercini's, hot red peppers

Option 3- Artichokes, black olives

goldengopher1976
07-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I regularly use the little bags of crust. Just add hot water, stir with fork, and then add flour till you get the right consistency. Spray on some olive oil and let sit for at least 5 minutes before rolling out with a pin.

Then here's the trick with those crusts. Put them in the oven for 5-7 minutes BEFORE you put any toppings on them. That way you get them crispy, which keeps them from getting soggy in the cooking process.

pizza sauce
mozzarella cheese
tomatoes
mushrooms
green peppers

or
mushroom
pepperoni

good stuff.

Drek
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
If you like deep dish this recipe works great:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/deepdish.php

Very much like what you'd get in a quality deep dish establishment. I personally like to cook it in straight walled deep pie pans.

My Kitchenaid came with a decent basic pizza crust recipe but its not perfect and makes the crust a little too puffy. Rolled over with a docker (or just docked lightly with a fork) its a bit better, but I find that while its a supurlative calzone/pepperoni rolls dough it leaves a bit to be desired as an actually pizza crust for me.

If you're looking for a great thin crust recipe they should contain some variation on letting the dough sit overnight, it lets the dough build up more complex gluten strands which lets you stretch it thinner without tearing. Crucial to having it crispy on the outside and tender on the inside without too much rising.

A pizza stone is a must for everything but the deep dish. You can go a lot of different routes on sauce, but honestly a quality canned sauce is probably the way to go from what I've found. The quality difference just isn't worth the time. Now if you're looking to make a white pizza (with alfredo) that would probably be worth doing on your own, since you can more easily control the thickness of the sauce (and most jarred alfredos are too thick for pizza). I like to kick up a canned sauce with a good bit more parm, you should be able to visibly see a flecking of parm throughout it is the truism most NY pizza places apply.

As for cheese, fresh mozzarella is always ideal, after that followed by vacuum sealed, but you can get away with the pre-packaged shredded pretty well.

My recommendations for what to try? Make yourself a nice deep dish with all the toppings you like (I typically go italian sausage, pepperoni, green and red peppers, a crushed tomato based sauce so its chunkier, and mushrooms) with some vacuum sealed or shredded. Then try a classic Neapolitan with fresh mozzarella, a smooth tomato sauce, and some torn basil. Last go for a more NY style pizza with a parm filled smooth tomato sauce and your favorite basic toppings with vac sealed or shredded cheese. That'll let you see how all the crusts work in their "native" element as it where and you can find the style you most prefer, and work to perfect that.

I've never made Sicilian (pan) pizza myself, its one of my favorites and I've always been meaning to, but its hard to find a nice high walled baking sheet that it can go on. Sicilian style should have a fluffier, more bread like crust than a deep dish, which should be dense and buttery.

Popps
07-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Just throwing it out there... there is a place in St. Louis that makes a great flat-crust pizza using Provel cheese. Worth a try some time if anyone is making their own. Not traditional, of course... but unique and really tastes very good.

brncs_fan
07-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I use the Pampered Chef box pizza mix and put it on a pizza stone with whatever fresh ingredients I am wanting that night.

Delicious!

BroncoBuff
07-07-2009, 06:53 PM
So i've been trying a couple different crust recipes, and I will be trying another tonight. I figured i'd ask the Mane.

Anyone have a great Pizza recipe (besides Dominos). I am looking for the crust recipe + entire "pies" you have cooked.

Yes, I can look up recipes on the internet, but I want to know which ones you have actually tried and liked.

Trader Joe's sells bagged pizza crust dough that is EXCELLENT.

Homemade pizza is all about the crust imo ... and get a decent marinara/paste sauce of some kind, no spaghetti sauce of any kind.

gunns
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I used to make my own crust but I'm over that. I generally use Rhodes frozen bread dough or Bobolo now. Our favorite is brush on some olive oil, then some kind of garlic spread, butter with garlic powder or salt, spread some Alfredo sauce, then some Mozzarella cheese, put on some grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, pieces of garlic, some more Mozzarella cheese, cook at 475. It is good.

24champ
07-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Trader Joe's sells bagged pizza crust dough that is EXCELLENT.

That's one store I wish was out here in Colorado. I love trader joe's back in California. They gotta build one here in CO asap.

Popps
07-08-2009, 01:17 AM
That's one store I wish was out here in Colorado. I love trader joe's back in California. They gotta build one here in CO asap.

Shocked that they don't have those in CO. Seems like a perfect fit.

I don't know what I'd do without that place.

alkemical
07-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Don't go spoutin' your trash about Guinness beer pizza if you don't have a recipe...

It's not trash, it's a pretty awesome pizza to me.

Use a standard beer pizza crust recipe (http://www.google.com/search?q=beer+pizza+dough+recipe&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) -

Ingredients

* 3 cups unbleached flour (plus more for dusting)
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 (12 ounce) can beer (I use light)
* olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the beer and mix well.
The dough will be sticky.
Spread a handful of flour on your work surface and dump the dough onto it.
Tiss the dough around to coat it with flour and prevent it from sticking.
Knead it 2 or 3 times to make it pliable.
Shape the dough into a ball and divide it in two if you are making 2 thin crust pizzas.
For a deep dish pie do not divide.
Grease your pizza pan with oil and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a circle.
Brush crust with olive oil lightly and then add your sauce and toppings.
Bake for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Use any BBQ sauce you like (and BBQ is something that each person likes differently). I make my own, and you aren't getting THAT recipe.

Use any chedder you like. I like smoked chedder, shredded fine. Maybe mix a little moz or Monterrey in with it.

Garnish how you like. I use black olives and parsley.

I don't really have an overall recipe. I just go with it. But, i've been making it for a while - so it's kinda how i do it.

HILife
07-08-2009, 08:04 AM

Papa Johns?

Sometimes I'll make a double layer of cheese, toppings, cheese, toppings. I also like alot of tomato sauce and olive oil, orageno and garlic powder on the crust.

Punisher
07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYlyl-ZKLC4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYlyl-ZKLC4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SoDak Bronco
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Anyone cook a pizza on the Big Green Egg? Pretty good stuff