PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network: Around the league/Denver...

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Nothing groundbreaking. But, it's football related...

Transcribed roughly...

Set-up: Josh McDaniels has taken some lumps, but there are some good things going on... (throws to reporter)

Reporter:

-We'll see how it all goes down. They haven't played a game, but there has been plenty of turmoil.

-"when you talk to people who are in Denver and even people who have left in the past few years, there is the sense that things may have gotten a little stale under Shanahan."

-"for better or worse," McDaniels has taken charge and has made active changes, even throughout the building.

-The appearance of the facility has been changed, some. (More motivational materials, etc.)

-Music being used at practice to simulate crowd/domes, etc. (As opposed to white noise in the past.)

-The Broncos "finally have a team nutritionist." Some guys have lost weight, and more modern menu items showing up... including "ostrich beef jerky" on the menu! (Yikes!)

-Mini-camp wrapped up in June which allowed the players a bit more break until training camp, which was apparently popular with the players. (As opposed to breaking it up by having it in mid-July)

-A lot of the younger players are buying in. "We'll see how it goes. It hasn't been all rocky for McDaniels."

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Nothing too surprising, but I do like hearing the nutritionist angle. I'm shocked that we haven't had one up until now.

I hope we can make some progress with keeping these guys healthy this year.

BroncoMan4ever
07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Nothing too surprising, but I do like hearing the nutritionist angle. I'm shocked that we haven't had one up until now.

i just wish we would have changed our S&C coaches and trainers.

Gcver2ver3
07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
i for one am glad to here the tidbit of positive info Popps..

thanks...

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:44 PM
i just wish we would have changed our S&C coaches and trainers.

Is there any new blood with regards to our trainers? I know Greek is still there.

Keep in mind, Greek used to be sort of a hero in Denver. As a team, we stayed pretty healthy in the 90s. I don't know how much you can blame on one guy, and he's more of a medical guy, anyway.

Seems like a tough area to point one finger at one guy, but clearly in the past 5-10 years, we've had real problems.

It's just tough to say. Does Champ pull his groin because he's not being trained correctly, or sometimes are teams just snake-bit?

ton80
07-06-2009, 04:46 PM

The overhaul will be complete when Greek and his entire staff gets canned.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm hungry as hell right now. I'd kill for some ostrich beef jerky.

tsiguy96
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
didnt they hire 53 as the nutrionist?

also, i hope they overhaul teh S+C staff too so i can get a job :D

montrose
07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Is there any new blood with regards to our trainers? I know Greek is still there.

Keep in mind, Greek used to be sort of a hero in Denver. As a team, we stayed pretty healthy in the 90s. I don't know how much you can blame on one guy, and he's more of a medical guy, anyway.

Seems like a tough area to point one finger at one guy, but clearly in the past 5-10 years, we've had real problems.

It's just tough to say. Does Champ pull his groin because he's not being trained correctly, or sometimes are teams just snake-bit?

Greek is the Head Trainer, he's not responsible for keeping the guys healthy but rather helping them recover and diagnosing injuries. Tuten is the one responsible for their training and stretching, so he'd be the one to point to. Per the team injuries, I will say that during my times at camp, I was amazed at how much the players were goofing off and half-@$$ing it during stretches. Funny enough considering your example, Champ and Lynch were the two guys I remember standing out as they were actually taking their stretching seriously. I don't know how much I can blame Tuten as he yells out the stretches they're supposed to be doing, perhaps it's his fault if the guys are di*king around. On a similar note, I wonder if the players will "break it down" before every practice still. Kahn was telling me on the phone not too long ago that we don't stretch after practices which helps prevent injuries as well. He noticed it last year when we practiced with Dallas as they spent considerable time stretching after the conclusion of practice. Considering McDaniels seems to be quite thorough with the little things, I wouldn't be shocked if we this as a change.

He wanted to talk to McDaniels about it but I didn't hear anything else.

mr007
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
. Kahn was telling me on the phone not too long ago that we don't stretch after practices which helps prevent injuries as well. He noticed it last year when we practiced with Dallas as they spent considerable time stretching after the conclusion of practice. Considering McDaniels seems to be quite thorough with the little things, I wouldn't be shocked if we this as a change.

Stretching after practices is actually where you need it most, not before. I would think if you're going to go easy on stretching it should actually only be before practice and not after.

montrose
07-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Stretching after practices is actually where you need it most, not before. I would think if you're going to go easy on stretching it should actually only be before practice and not after.

Well under Shanahan, we didn't do any stretching after practices or games - hopefully McDaniels fixes that.

cutthemdown
07-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Well under Shanahan, we didn't do any stretching after practices or games - hopefully McDaniels fixes that.

Well some people think stretching is not needed until after you play or workout.

Also some trainers feel most players stretch in a way that gives them no benefit.

Abqbronco
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Is it just me or did the injuries seem to increase with the introduction of that sled that Tuten started using a few years ago. I wonder if Holland would have made it through the season without an injury if he had stayed in Denver. He had to push the hell out of that thing when he came in too fat to play.

Kaylore
07-06-2009, 05:33 PM

You really noticed it when the Cowboys came to camp. They took twice as long to stretch before and after practice. Broncos didn't even do it after practice.

bronco_boi_5280
07-06-2009, 05:35 PM
I want to be able to say I've eaten Ostrich. Sounds awesome.

BroncoMan4ever
07-06-2009, 05:40 PM

i see your point, but there is a point between a team just having a bad year or 2 of injuries, and the staff not properly conditioning players. and it seems that for years now, players are dropping like flies. i think our trainers and S&C coaches need to be changed.

Los Broncos
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info Popps.

Paladin
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM

ScottXray
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

I have eaten ostrich..... and I won't again if have a choice.

Kind of tastes like chewy liver pate', but not as good.

Ambiguous
07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

also, i hope they overhaul teh S+C staff too so i can get a job :D

Apparently his Powerpoint presentation was not good enough (lol).

cmhargrove
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM

I'll actually call him a "nutritionist" if he can put ten pounds on Jarvis Moss...

Popps
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Count me in the crowd that thinks stretching/warm-up/warm-down should be beyond mandatory. There's no question it's beneficial. That's really understating it, in reality.

These guys are multi-million dollar investments. Sort of surprising to hear of anyone screwing around during stretch-drills.

McD is a details freak. Like people said, hopefully he's on this.

orinjkrush
07-06-2009, 07:26 PM
yoga. do it. many teams do now.

BroncoMan4ever
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Count me in the crowd that thinks stretching/warm-up/warm-down should be beyond mandatory. There's no question it's beneficial. That's really understating it, in reality.

These guys are multi-million dollar investments. Sort of surprising to hear of anyone screwing around during stretch-drills.

truthfully i was hoping he would have instituted Yoga, when he was deciding on plans for the team. Would have been better for our players to be more flexible, and limber and would have probably helped with the injury problems.

ColoradoDarin
07-06-2009, 08:30 PM

x3

_Oro_
07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a huge fan of yoga. Been doing it for years now off and on and really think it changed my life in a huge positive way. That being said while I think yoga is excellent for the average person I don't know how well it mixes with a sport that requires burst like football. It seems like the Broncos had a yoga instructor around the team for the last few but I'm not sure how much players were doing if any. It'd be interesting to know if the Broncos were doing yoga, and since when, to see if there was any correlation with our recent string of injuries.

Also I would think yoga would be good for some positions but probably not most. Definitely yoga would be great for QB as it improves your focus so much. But for WR / RB / CB maybe not so good. Anyway all just speculation.

tsiguy96
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm a huge fan of yoga. Been doing it for years now off and on and really think it changed my life in a huge positive way. That being said while I think yoga is excellent for the average person I don't know how well it mixes with a sport that requires burst like football. It seems like the Broncos had a yoga instructor around the team for the last few but I'm not sure how much players were doing if any. It'd be interesting to know if the Broncos were doing yoga, and since when, to see if there was any correlation with our recent string of injuries.

Also I would think yoga would be good for some positions but probably not most. Definitely yoga would be great for QB as it improves your focus so much. But for WR / RB / CB maybe not so good. Anyway all just speculation.

yoga has no effect on teh ability for someone to generate power, but it does increase flexibility in spots its needed most: thoracic, hips and hamstrings. more flexible=less likely to be injured, in general. its great for all football players.

montrose
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's the clip: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8112bf2f/Monday-s-Around-the-League

NFLBRONCO
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Yeah I agree Popps I never knew that about Shanny's team not stretching.

SoCalBronco
07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm not saying its right or wrong, but many clubs do not stretch...most notably, Mike Leach. He feels its a waste of time. Mike Leach believes that the best way to really "stretch" is to engage in football related drills...albeit at a quarter speed and then at a half speed (most notably the Pat and Go and Noose and Settle drills). He learned this while coaching with Hal Mumme at Iowa Wesylan, Valdosta State and then finally at Kentucky. Coach Mumme discusses this a little bit on the first page of this clinic presentation:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3115830/Teaching-Pass-Routes-Drills-Mumme-1999

Part of this was to conserve time, as the NCAA regulates how much time you can practice during the week. The theory goes that he wants to maximize as much football related activity as possible while getting the benefits of stretching, without actually stretching too much.

Just a different point of view.

Popps
07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not saying its right or wrong, but many clubs do not stretch...most notably, Mike Leach. He feels its a waste of time. Mike Leach believes that the best way to really "stretch" is to engage in football related drills...albeit at a quarter speed and then at a half speed. Part of this was to conserve time, as the NCAA regulates how much time you can practice during the week. The theory goes that he wants to maximize as much football related activity as possible while getting the benefits of stretching, without actually stretching.

Just a different point of view.

I will say this... stretching without proper warm-up (blood circulation) is a friggin' waste of time, imo... and at worst, dangerous.

I see guys go out cold and just start cranking their legs around and I cringe. Cold-stretching is just an injury waiting to happen.

1. Warm up
2. Stretch
3. Play
4. Cool down
5. Stretch

(IMO)

SoCalBronco
07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I will say this... stretching without proper warm-up (blood circulation) is a friggin' waste of time, imo... and at worst, dangerous.

I see guys go out cold and just start cranking their legs around and I cringe. Cold-stretching is just an injury waiting to happen.

1. Warm up
2. Stretch
3. Play
4. Cool down
5. Stretch

(IMO)

They do (the Air Raid teams...Mumme, Leach, Hatcher, Sonny Dykes etc.) do some warm up work in the beginning, as per the clinic presentation I linked to, but as you can see, they prefer to do football specific stuff at less than full speed to reap the benefits of both.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Nothing groundbreaking. But, it's football related...

Transcribed roughly...

Set-up: Josh McDaniels has taken some lumps, but there are some good things going on... (throws to reporter)

Reporter:

-We'll see how it all goes down. They haven't played a game, but there has been plenty of turmoil.

-"when you talk to people who are in Denver and even people who have left in the past few years, there is the sense that things may have gotten a little stale under Shanahan."

-"for better or worse," McDaniels has taken charge and has made active changes, even throughout the building.

-The appearance of the facility has been changed, some. (More motivational materials, etc.)

-Music being used at practice to simulate crowd/domes, etc. (As opposed to white noise in the past.)

-The Broncos "finally have a team nutritionist." Some guys have lost weight, and more modern menu items showing up... including "ostrich beef jerky" on the menu! (Yikes!)

-Mini-camp wrapped up in June which allowed the players a bit more break until training camp, which was apparently popular with the players. (As opposed to breaking it up by having it in mid-July)

-A lot of the younger players are buying in. "We'll see how it goes. It hasn't been all rocky for McDaniels."

so inspiring

Popps
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
They do (the Air Raid teams...Mumme, Leach, Hatcher, Sonny Dykes etc.) do some warm up work in the beginning, as per the clinic presentation I linked to, but as you can see, they prefer to do football specific stuff at less than full speed to reap the benefits of both.

Yea, there's probably no one system that works for everyone. But, I think any time teams get sloppy with that kind of preparation... it leads to very bad things.

I also just think injuries have a lot to do with confidence and luck. Teams playing really well never seem to incur the kinds of injuries that struggling teams do. There's some mix of tangible and intangible mojo at work with this stuff, too.

FireFly
07-06-2009, 11:13 PM

I've eaten Emu... wonder if it tastes similar?