PDA

View Full Version : So, one of my sisters had a seizure

Boobs McGee
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
She was at a rodeo this weekend, and said she started feeling light headed. Then apparently she started having trouble computing what people were saying to her, and the next thing she knew, she was waking up inbetween some bleachers with her head on her friends knee.

Her friend said the whole seizure part of things lasted for almost ten minutes...frothing at the mouth, tounge biting, convulsions. She got taken to the e.r. where they had a bunch of tests done. Blood work, CAT scan, everything came back normal.

Saw her doctor today, and she's goin in for an EEG on wednesday, but unfortunately a neurologist has to analyze the results and that could take up to two weeks.

HOPEFULLY this is some freak of nature kind of thing. She' 30, in decent health (a little overweight), no prior history of anything like this happening. No family history of epilepsy or anything either. She's not a recovering alcoholic (apparently if you're recovering, your body can have episodes because of some kind of deficiency). She excersises, goes to school full time and has a full time job. She smokes a little ganj, but doesnt smoke cigs.

Kind of a scary deal, but luckily she escaped the incident with some minor bruising and a swollen tounge.

My question is, anybody on here have any kind of seizure problems? Did they just happen one day, and how does it affect your daily life? Anybody ever had anything similar happen?

Not looking for pity here or anything, just kind of curious to see if this is a common occurance. I don't know anyone that has them or HAS had them, so I'm kinda in the dark here.

Anywho, cheers and thanks

cory

TheReverend
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Sucks man. Hope she makes a full recovery.

OABB
07-06-2009, 04:20 PM
The sad truth is, the brain is the most understood of all organs....I am praying that they find the problem and fix it....good luck brother....

I wish i knew more and could help her...sorry man.

DomCasual
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
She was at a rodeo this weekend, and said she started feeling light headed. Then apparently she started having trouble computing what people were saying to her, and the next thing she knew, she was waking up inbetween some bleachers with her head on her friends knee.

That damned old rodeo!

Just kidding, man. Hopefully, she just got overheated/dehydrated.

elsid13
07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
that sucks. I knew someone that similar type seizure. She was older (mid 40s) and the doctors think it was stroke. But it could also be very bad allergic reaction to something

cutthemdown
07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow that sucks. My sister went to ER last night because she felt funny. Her blood pressure was way up like 190 over 140 something like that.

Boobs McGee
07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
HOPEFULLY it was something like dehydration...or the actual rodeo itself hahah. Seriously though, I think the doctors would have been able to tell if it was something that simple? I dunno.

And i REALLY hope it wasn't a stroke, but again, I would think they would have been able to see some kind of repercussion from something like that.

And like you said O&B, the brain is a pretty big mystery, hopefully they figure this **** out someday. Sooner the better of course.

Thanks for all the well wishes, I'll pass them along. (shes a HUGE broncs fan)

Boobs McGee
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
that sucks. I knew someone that similar type seizure. She was older (mid 40s) and the doctors think it was stroke. But it could also be very bad allergic reaction to something

Curious, did they figure out it was a stroke right away?

watermock
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Make sure they check her potassium level.

Dukes
07-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I have an aunt that's mentally handicapped and has seizures almost daily, not the same type situation as your sister. But it can be scary seeing it for the first time.

elsid13
07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Curious, did they figure out it was a stroke right away?

I wasn't really close with her (friend of my mother's), I believe it took a week or so to get the CAT scan back. It was "mini" stroke, since she was fully functional expect for the seizure and some memory loss.

My bet is on a bad heat stroke, if she is healthy. Was she drinking adult beverage in very hot environment?

Because some of symptoms of heat stroke-

* high body temperature
* the absence of sweating, with hot red or flushed dry skin
* rapid pulse
* difficulty breathing
* strange behavior
* hallucinations
* confusion
* agitation
* disorientation
* seizure
* coma

http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm

Los Broncos
07-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I never heard of anything like that, hope she is ok.

footstepsfrom#27
07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Has she been tested for Epilepsy?

kappys
07-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Hopefully the MRI and EEG come back normal.

Actually most seizures don't recurr(i.e. don't become lifelong epilepsy), although it is uncommon to have a new onset of seizures at her age. Nonetheless if she is feeling well and otherwise in good health theres no reason to view a seizure disorder as disabling. It may limit her ability to drive or do some other activites but most people with epilespy lead otherwise completely normal lives and seizures can usually be well controlled with medications.

orinjkrush
07-06-2009, 07:31 PM
where's dr. Bronostein when you need him?

Dr. Broncenstein
07-06-2009, 07:41 PM
where's dr. Bronostein when you need him?

Heh... this is way outside my area of expertise. EEG with strobe and MRI of the brain would be the way I'd work it up... but I'm a surgeon and definetely not a neurologist.

Blueflame
07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
That had to have been very scary... hopefully she makes a full recovery and suffers no future symptoms. :thumbs:

Natedogg
07-06-2009, 07:50 PM
That had to have been very scary... hopefully she makes a full recovery and suffers no future symptoms. :thumbs:

On an unrelated note, Blueflame, you are looking good!!! :)

Really sorry to hear about the seizure. Sounds like it could be heat stroke. Fortunately you guys can pry get out in front of it after the diagnosis.

Blueflame
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
On an unrelated note, Blueflame, you are looking good!!! :)

Really sorry to hear about the seizure. Sounds like it could be heat stroke. Fortunately you guys can pry get out in front of it after the diagnosis.

Why, thank you, Natedogg! :D

lander
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
My dog recently had her first seizure ever (10 yrs old) and we're pretty sure she was poisoned. In our case it was house plants but maybe your sister ate something or was exposed to something?

Spider
07-06-2009, 10:34 PM
So sorry to hear that ..........

Boobs McGee
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the info everybody. Not gonna know anything until they get the test results checked (could be 2 to 4 weeks). From what she says, she had a few drinks, and it was pretty hot out...so I'm hoping it was something heat stroke related as mentioned by some of the posters...****ty as that sounds to hope for I'd much rather it be a one time thing than epilepsy, which she is currently being tested for.

anywho, thanks again for the encouragement (which I'll pass along). She's in really good spirits, a little nervous, but takin some time off work and relaxing.

I'm readin up on the whole thing, but every bit of experience/advice helps. My landlord came by and told me about her sister who's epileptic, leads a normal life, etc etc. So that's encouraging.

Updates when I get them

:thumbs:

Pootz
07-07-2009, 05:14 AM
8 years ago I had a focal seziure which made my arm twitch/jerk. It was late at night and I was tired so I just went to sleep on top of it. I woke the next morning feeling fine but as I was interacting with people over the course of the day I noticed my emotions didn't match the conversations I was having. I would laugh like a mad man at knock knock jokes and get pissed at nothing. I decided to call the doctor. By the time I got to see him my speech was deteriorating to garble and I had a gimp in my walk. Over the couple days I noticed I had a hard time feeding myself and I should rely on my legs to do what I wanted them to do. I was pretty much bed bound for two months where I couldn't talk, write, walk or use my motor skills....the whole time I could think straight but my body wouldnt respond. I went through every test they could dream up with no answer. After all the time passing I thought I was gonna stay that way and I saw a bottle of vitamins next to my night stand so I decided I should try to take some. I took three times the dose over a couple days and slowly I was able to regain 70% control of my motor skills.

Long story sorry. I never got an answer but my thoughts are that I was taking 6 courses a semester at college and working two part time jobs and probably not eating the best, so that probably had something to do with it. I was mid twenties and in good shape but stress can take it's toll even when you get used to it.

Watch out for deterioration of motor skills.

Hogan11
07-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Inner ear infection maybe?

tsiguy96
07-07-2009, 07:25 AM
8 years ago I had a focal seziure which made my arm twitch/jerk. It was late at night and I was tired so I just went to sleep on top of it. I woke the next morning feeling fine but as I was interacting with people over the course of the day I noticed my emotions didn't match the conversations I was having. I would laugh like a mad man at knock knock jokes and get pissed at nothing. I decided to call the doctor. By the time I got to see him my speech was deteriorating to garble and I had a gimp in my walk. Over the couple days I noticed I had a hard time feeding myself and I should rely on my legs to do what I wanted them to do. I was pretty much bed bound for two months where I couldn't talk, write, walk or use my motor skills....the whole time I could think straight but my body wouldnt respond. I went through every test they could dream up with no answer. After all the time passing I thought I was gonna stay that way and I saw a bottle of vitamins next to my night stand so I decided I should try to take some. I took three times the dose over a couple days and slowly I was able to regain 70% control of my motor skills.

Long story sorry. I never got an answer but my thoughts are that I was taking 6 courses a semester at college and working two part time jobs and probably not eating the best, so that probably had something to do with it. I was mid twenties and in good shape but stress can take it's toll even when you get used to it.

Watch out for deterioration of motor skills.

holy cow, 7 years later he gets his third post!!

Pootz
07-07-2009, 07:42 AM
I have posted more than that, I know of at least 4 or 5 threads I have started and contributed alot more....but I am a lurker.

Boobs McGee
07-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Not so great update :(

So, the good news is , the eeg results came back and everything looked great. From what the neurologist said that means they couldnt find any blockages or neurological problems.

The BAD news is she can't drive for six months and has to go on some kind of seizure medication. I guess the driving restriction is pretty normal for anyone that actually has a seizure, but as I said before she works and goes to school full time. Luckily, I'm here for her, so I'll be chauffering whenever she needs it....but I just can't imagine having that freedom taken away. She also can't really do things without a buddy now. No swimming, riding bikes, working out, none of it without some kind of a safety net if you will :(

Since they still haven't really figured out what's going on yet, she's going in for an MRI sometime in the next week (i thought that had already happened, but I was misinformed), and hopefully they'll have some kind of a cause for the problem.

The SCARY part is, my friends dad had a seizure, and everything looked great until he got HIS mri, at which point in time they found a brain tumor, which they removed. So, obviously in that situation it worked out because they found something, but in my sisters case I'm just hoping it was some random freak occurance.

I love her so much, and she's already goin through ENOUGH **** in her life right now, I just hope this will all work itself out. Which it will. And I know she's a strong cookie that'll just buck up and deal with it, but I just wish I could somehow bear (bare?) the burden for her, ya know?

Anywho, thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes. I know she appreciates everything.

Crazy year for sisters over here. One sister is diagnosed with a stage 4 mellanoma (which after a very scary rediagnosis into lymphomic cancer? instead, and she's beating right now). Another sister has a seizure. Another sister gets preggers! (planned, and very happy for it).

Anywho thanks again everybody, I'll keep ya posted. Fingers crossed

Miss I.
07-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I will chime in here. I was 19 when I had my first seizure. I have them very infrequently (1x every 2 years or so depending on how well I am taking care of myself, good with the meds, getting enough sleep, etc), but when they do I am certain they must be quite interesting or freaky from a person watching it's perspective. Seizure disorders or Epilepsy (not necessarily the same thing) are not uncommon as people think. And sometimes a cause cannot be determined as was my case. I do not have Epilepsy, just a seizure disorder. Epilepsy is specific condition, but not all seizures are a result of that. At any rate, had the MRI, and some EEGs. Generally speaking, the actual seizure usually only lasts about 2 to 3 minutes and actual air deprivation which happens in my case only 1, though to the observer I imagine it seems longer and after effects do last longer (grogginess, etc...my after effects always left me feeling drunk, probably the lack of oxygen). In my case, I have bitten my tongue, but you can't bite your own tongue off so a word of advice DO NOT force someone's mouth open, it will release on its own eventually. I would suggest if you are there turn the person their side so the tongue isn't falling back down their throat and it might clear their air passage quicker. Just protect them from hurting themselves (by falling down and hitting their head, etc).

I have tried a number of medications. The one I am on now is by the far the best, fewer side effects (I was on Depakote for a while which messes with the liver and your ability to register when you are full when eating...not a helpful thing when you want to lose weight). My best ways to avoid these things is to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night and take my medication on time and the right dosage. I am now going on my third year of being seizure free. It rarely limits me at all. I get tired sometime, but I just take care of myself and I am fine. As far as driving and those sorts of limitations, it's on a state by state basis in the US. Not sure international. In Colorado there were no restrictions and no reporting requirements for the doctors. In AZ, the restriction went from 1 year no driving to 3 months and don't recall the Dr. Requirements.

A good website for a lot of this info, including first aid, driving info, etc: http://www.epilepsy.com/

the driving thing on that site: http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/rights_driving

To be honest I don't like talking about them in public because people occasionally look at you like you're Linda Blair or treat you like a delicate flower. Generally, though it's a pretty livable condition except for those who have them a lot and now a days there are options for surgery that can reduce that for those people. It isn't a surgery for people with milder cases like mine. And people really are kind mostly, but its important people in your sister's life understand how to react if or when they happen so they don't inadvertently hurt her.

I wish you and your family all the best. If you ever have questions, PM me and I will be happy to share what I know.

Bronco LB52
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your sister's misfortunes, bronconia. I wish her the best. Stay strong and keep your head up.

watermock
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Make sure she has enough potassiom.

Boobs McGee
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Miss I, thanks so much for the candid and insightful response. Sounds eerily similar to what she's going through (as far as not being able to diagnose it, the whole lack of sleep being a possible contributor), but it's very encouraging to see how you're dealing with it.

Glad to hear that it isn't limiting you to any severe extent, as that was one of the major concerns I had regarding my sis. I'll definitely pass along your positivity, and I'll be checking out those sites to see what the state restrictions are here.

In the end, and OBVIously I'm not a doctor, I really think a lot of it has to do with her schedule. I know for a fact she's an extremely light sleeper, and when she DOES actually get a good nights rest it's along the lines of 5 or 6 hours. Mostly, she's roaming the 4 to 5 range. Add to that her full time job/school schedule with a bunch of stress, and I wonder if that could;ve set things in motion. She was also on Ambien (sp?), the sleep medication, which I believe has the possibility of siezures as a side effect :(

Anywho, thanks so much again for your experiences, I WILL be pm'ing you!