PDA

View Full Version : dre bly: i was scapegoat for bad 08 season

tsiguy96
07-06-2009, 10:11 AM
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/nfl-cornerback-bly-relishes-same-role-new-team

Hungry.

Dre' Bly uses that word a lot these days. He is 32. Looking at an 11th year as an NFL cornerback. Coming off an imploded season with the Denver Broncos that left him impugned and unemployed; the San Francisco 49ers pulled him from the free-agent pool six weeks ago.

Bly is pleased with this, because he still has passes to defend, a reputation to restore. And now, there is a new coach's confidence to validate.

Yep, walking up to another NFL training camp, Bly is blunt about it. He doesn't need football. But he wants football.

"I'm just so hungry right now," Bly, from Chesapeake's Western Branch High, said last week at his formative training center on Baker Road, where he helped stage a two-day youth camp.

"If I wouldn't have signed, I'd have been OK with it. I mean, I would have been frustrated, but I know how the game is. I know the way things ended last year in Denver had something to do with why I didn't sign (until May).

"But that's all in the past. I've got a good situation in San Fran."

49ers coach Mike Singletary has given him the chance to step in for injured Walt Harris, Bly said, and to "be the guy I've been my whole life." The numbers say that guy has been pretty good.

Bly's 40 interceptions are seventh among active players, and he's forced 18 fumbles. That's the most of any cornerback since 1999, when the St. Louis Rams picked Bly in the second round out of the University of North Carolina.

Bly contends, with feeling, that he can still be that guy. Even better, actually, because of experience and instincts honed over 151 games, two Super Bowls and two Pro Bowls.

Nonetheless, Bly was apportioned much of the blame for Denver's late-season collapse in the AFC West that led to all sorts of upheaval, starting with the firing of coach Mike Shanahan.

The Broncos were lousy in practically every defensive category, and dead last with 13 takeaways. Playing opposite star Champ Bailey, Bly had two of Denver's six interceptions, but those tied his season low.

Upon his arrival from Detroit in '07, Bly called Denver "a classy organization that knows how to win." The Broncos were 8-8 last year, however, and were 15-17 in Bly's time there.

"I was made the scapegoat," Bly said. "Especially on the other side of Champ, you're gonna take (criticism). But I don't care who you are, if you don't have a pass rush and you're not aggressive on defense, they're gonna catch a ball.

"We weren't aggressive last year in Denver. We let people take the fight to us. We were so predictable on defense. I don't make no excuses; none of us played well in the system.... People are going to question my ability, saying I'm not this, I'm not that, that's fine. I use all that for motivation."

Naturally, separation brings pangs; Bly says he'll miss teammates from Denver. Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, who appeared at Bly's camp, says that's mutual.

"He's definitely a guy I wouldn't mind being like when I'm 10 years in the league," Marshall said. "He's a mentor to a lot of guys in the locker room. He's someone I look up to and I'll always support."

Still, time marches. Bly, who accepted a one-year deal for a reported $845,000, says he'll play two more seasons, three tops. He'd like to win the NFC West. He'd like to reach 50 career interceptions. He'd like a good finish, next time on his own terms.

"I've told myself 12 years is probably gonna be my mark," Bly said. "I've made my money, I ain't gonna be hanging on. The minute I get demoted, I'm retiring. I'm not gonna be a gunner, running down on special teams. Why do I need to do that?

"I'll be a No. 3 corner, I'll do that. I've accepted the fact that I might have to do that this year. But a No. 4, trying to make the squad? I'll retire. I don't need it."

Wanting it, Bly hopes to prove, means so much more.

tsiguy96
07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
just goes to show that in this case, maybe the players werent as bad as the system showed, and having a top tier DC could change hte fortunes of our D quite a bit.

also, when dre was the #1, he played very well, far better than he got credit for. he is right though, slowick refused to attack and try to create things to happen, and the D got destroyed for it. imagine if shanny stuck around with this guy, wed be screwed again.

barryr
07-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Bly wasn't that great IMO anyway, but I don't think any players on the team thought much of the defensive scheme, but there was Shanahan all prepared to keep that crappy defensive staff intact for another season. And some still wish Shanahan was still the coach? Amazing.

Baba Booey
07-06-2009, 10:18 AM
He's right. Doesn't matter what corners you have out there. If the QB has all day to throw play after play after play you're going to make any CB look terrible.

TheDave
07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
just goes to show that in this case, maybe the players werent as bad as the system showed, and having a top tier DC could change hte fortunes of our D quite a bit.

also, when dre was the #1, he played very well, far better than he got credit for. he is right though, slowick refused to attack and try to create things to happen, and the D got destroyed for it. imagine if shanny stuck around with this guy, wed be screwed again.

Don't kid yourself... the players were just as bad as the system. Being predictable is one thing. Getting your ass beat play after play in the trenches 1 on 1 is not the system.

There is a reason why Doom, DJ, champ, and Thomas are the only returning starters.

Garcia Bronco
07-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't kid yourself... the players were just as bad as the system. Being predictable is one thing. Getting your ass beat play after play in the trenches 1 on 1 is not the system.

There is a reason why Doom, DJ, champ, and Thomas are the only returning starters.

And Bly has something all 4 of those guys want: A Super Bowl ring.

Bly is a good corner. Bob Slowik is just a ****ing moron.

vancejohnson82
07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
I respect Bly tremendously for how he played once Champ went out last year....he was NOT the problem out there, it was an entire unit of incompetence from top to bottom

watermock
07-06-2009, 10:35 AM
There is still no eason that Bowlen could not of called Slowick in his office and fire him.

If Shanny didn't like it, he could of resigned sving millions. Spend the season getting a cople backs, staying with 4/3 and draft D.

Hire Spags or Lex.

Regardless, the problem wasn't Bates or the offense.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I dunno if too many were blaming Dre Bly ... he was our best DB for most of the second half of the year ???

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 10:47 AM
There is still no eason that Bowlen could not of called Slowick in his office and fire him.

I've wondered that lots of times ... must've gone deeper with Pat and Mike.

tsiguy96
07-06-2009, 10:49 AM
it was reported multiple times it had nothing to do with slowick why mike was fired im not sure if we will know exactly why for awhile. something happened there that sparked it though.

TheDave
07-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Bly WAS a good corner... He's going to be lucky to make a team as a nickle/dime.

DenverBrit
07-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I dunno if too many were blaming Dre Bly ... he was our best DB for most of the second half of the year ???

Bly was doing ok, but I'm not sure why he thinks he was the scapegoat.

There were plenty of other places to look for 'scapegoats' other than the DBs.

DenverBrit
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
it was reported multiple times it had nothing to do with slowick why mike was fired im not sure if we will know exactly why for awhile. something happened there that sparked it though.

Wanting a new multi million dollar practice facility was reported as one reason the rift began.

But overall, Bowlen probably arrived at the same conclusion that many in the fans base reached: the team wasn't going anywhere with the current regime and philosophy.

One thing that stood out to me was Shanny's appearance during his press conference.
He looked like a man who had shed a huge load off his shoulders and appeared ten years younger.
Bowlen, on the other hand, looked ten years older and in need of a long vacation.

broncofan2438
07-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I didnt even know the guy was in San Fran. Whatever, he had some good plays and some bad ones. The one that will always stay in my mind is that play in overtime against the Packers on Monday night.

19Morton77
07-06-2009, 11:54 AM

If Shanny didn't like it, he could of resigned sving millions. Spend the season getting a cople backs, staying with 4/3 and draft D.

Hire Spags or Lex.

Why? So we can see Lex throw games at the end of the year to move up in the draft? Bly was the scapegoat because we expected more from him. He was paid to do a job that we watched wasnt being done. Yes, the pass rush stunk but I dont see anyone blaming Champ like they would Bly. The scheme stunk and Bly couldnt adapt to use the most of his ability. And if he did, then he lost his ability.

cmhargrove
07-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I wish he would have just told us he would play in 2009 for $845,000. That would have been a no brainer...

~Crash~
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM

As quite as this has gone I would say Cancer .

~Crash~
07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Why? So we can see Lex throw games at the end of the year to move up in the draft? Bly was the scapegoat because we expected more from him. He was paid to do a job that we watched wasnt being done. Yes, the pass rush stunk but I dont see anyone blaming Champ like they would Bly. The scheme stunk and Bly couldnt adapt to use the most of his ability. And if he did, then he lost his ability.

Bly won a game for us that is more than I can say about mister ass tackle DJ williams ....

~Crash~
07-06-2009, 12:03 PM
DJ williams and the word 4th down just does not happen .

vancejohnson82
07-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I still can't believe some people on this board don't think Bly could be a #2 corner in this league.....

Playing alongside a bona fide shutdown corner is probably one of the hardest positions to play because all week the opposition works on ways to get you out in the open or locked up in one on ones....

I played opposite of a borderline All American in high school (Michael Ray Garvin/ Arizona Cardinals) and it SUCKED ASS....he would basically not see a pass all game thrown his way and I was out there taking on what felt like an entire offensive playbook designed towards my side

why do you think we have struggled so mightily at finding a #2 CB?

rbackfactory80
07-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Not that I dont agree with him, but he could have just waited and let his play speak for him.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm not a big Andre Goodman fan ... I doubt he'll be better than Bly would've been.

Drek
07-06-2009, 12:27 PM

It probably went just about as deep as Shanahan saying Slowick would be back without even giving it a night to think about it or talking with Pat after the SD loss.

Shanahan acted like it was his team. By and large Pat let that slide as long as the team was winning. Shanahan stopped winning, but he didn't stop acting like it was his name on the deed. Bowlen got sick of someone who wasn't getting it done telling him just how it was going to be.

DomCasual
07-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I sure wish Shanahan would have fired Slowik, hired a real DC, and we were in a different position right now.

I'll take what we have; but I would have preferred that. A lot.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
He's right. Doesn't matter what corners you have out there. If the QB has all day to throw play after play after play you're going to make any CB look terrible.

Welcome to the board, sir, you just made a TON of sense.

Hopefully your adopt-a-Bronco will make this thread obsolete ... :thumbs:

montrose
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Pat said at the press conference he'd been thinking about it for "a while" and Vic Lombardi was on 104.3 The Fan after the firing stating that Bowlen had began thinking about making a move after we blew the '06 finale to miss the playoffs.

I always thought Bly took way too much sh*t. Could he have played better? Sure. But as Vance pointed out, playing across from Champ is hell. In addition, Champ changed the standard with Broncos fans evaluate CBs to a ridiculous level. Throw in the shi**y DL Shanahan put together and shi**ier DC he hired and it's no wonder he looked bad.

I disagree, a league leading 30-turnovers and an offense that seemed to get worse as the season went on instead of better didn't help. Did the defense suck? Yes, but the offense was part of the problem too.

I think Bowlen wanted to change the entire culture to the team-first Patriots/Steelers way rather than the players-first way we've gone with. It remains to be seen if that was the right decision. I'm on record that my first choice would've been to demote Shanny to just Head Coach and hire Scott Pioli as GM and Shanny's boss. With that, I really like most of what McDaniels has done - including dumping Cutler (which has nothing to do the spat between the player and organization and more to do with my lack of confidence in Cutler as a player).

supermanhr9
07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I have to admit, I didn't mind his comments. He was honest saying"None of us played well in the system" he was owning up to his play and everyone elses. Let's face it, he was a scapegoat, I would hate to play across Champ, thats why we have MOFO and Mini Champ to take the reigns.

Kaylore
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I never blamed Bly for the season and as I recall two things were sighted for the piss poor performance: Bob Slowick and the poor defensive line.

That said, a lot of our other players weren't that great and Bly could have been better but we didn't give him much help.

broncswin
07-06-2009, 01:26 PM

No my GB bly was a good corner, time has passed him up, it wasn't just about coverage, that guy couldn't tackle for shiat either. He was extremely hesitant to come up and make a play, not to mention he got his a$$ kicked trying to jam off the line nearly every dam time!!:thumbsup:

Garcia Bronco
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
No my GB bly was a good corner, time has passed him up, it wasn't just about coverage, that guy couldn't tackle for shiat either. He was extremely hesitant to come up and make a play, not to mention he got his a$$ kicked trying to jam off the line nearly every dam time!!:thumbsup:

All a function of a poor scheme. Bly is a bump and run corner playing zone in the slowik coverage 10 to 15 yards of the ball. He can still ball, but to me it doesn't sound like he's in it anymore.

footstepsfrom#27
07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Good luck Dre...I hope the 9ers work out for you.

TheChamp24
07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Bly took way too much heat for his play IMO. He was a solid CB, but people expected him to hold his man to like 2 catches for 25 yards the whole game. Hardly anyone can do that in this league.

cutthemdown
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Bly was? meh he's looking for sympathy? Damn Broncos had like this many scapegoats. Bly, McCree, Manual, Webster, Boss, Shanny, the def coord, the off coord, the rb's, did I miss any? oh yeah Engleburger and the long snapper.

cutthemdown
07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I thought bly played hard but just had to spend too much time trying to tackle people. The safety's gave no help to the corners. True you need pressure but cmon, you should see a safety break up a pass now and again, or hit a rb in the hole here and there? right? I mean it's not like we no safety's in denver we haven't had any good ones......

Nope can't be that, those safety's last yr just plain were the worst in the history of the NFL. There I said it. I have never seen worst play from a group of safety's then I saw last yr in Denver. Those scrubs were pathetic.

bronco_boi_5280
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Bly was never the problem. The problem was putting him on an island and putting safeties, etc, in the box to stop the run. And with no safety help Bly had to play 10 yards off the ball.

Bly may not have been great, BUT we traded literally nothing to get him, and our entire defense was crap.

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Bly definitely played harder late in the season. He didn't give up out there.

Interesting to hear his quotes about the system, and all the more reason to give thanks that we won't have to look at that garbage again this season.

Natedog24
07-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I sure wish Shanahan would have fired Slowik, hired a real DC, and we were in a different position right now.

I'll take what we have; but I would have preferred that. A lot.

Word...

Back on topic, I think Bly was overpaid/overrated but I also think he was far from being a bad corner. Its honestly hard to rate him though, given just how bad the defense around him was.

cutthemdown
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not a big Andre Goodman fan ... I doubt he'll be better than Bly would've been.

He's not same type of player at all though. I agree though they are both like 6-7's at this point, but the get to that point with different skills sort of.

Bly more a gambler were goodman I think more a cherry picker. Goodman I think will try and not give up big play, while bly will gamble to make big play. I think that is the main difference.

Natedogg
07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Bly played hard. Earned my respect...

But that TD in OT he gave up against Farve still hurts.

fdf
07-07-2009, 03:32 AM

Seems to me a a team could be:

* Predictable with good talent
* Predictable with poor talent
* Unpredictable with good talent
* Unpredictable with poor talent

Coyer was 4. Slowick was 2. Neither gets you very far in January.

I'm of the "things were so broke it's gonna take some time to fix," school. I'm grateful new management has blown things up on D and started over. Hope they do a good job of it.

fdf
07-07-2009, 03:41 AM

I thought this was kind of odd, too. I don't recall any "Lynch Dre Bly" movements last year.

Maybe he regarded his release as "blaming" him--especially given that he was released as part of a batch of MUCH less capable players. It kind of labels him as part of that group.

But I suspect the decision to release him was quite a bit different than the decision to release, say, Engleberger or Webster or McCree. Had his price-tag been lower, I suspect he might have stuck around. He's still a decent CB.

Atlas
07-07-2009, 04:18 AM
I can't really argue with anything he said. well, except the scapegoat part. OBVIOUSLY, Shanny was the scapegoat.

UberBroncoMan
07-07-2009, 04:27 AM

To be fair though... the team that won the Super Bowl with Bly was hardly known for its defense.

That said... I agree with Bob Slowik being a ****ing idiot.