PDA

View Full Version : Broncos losing popularity?

24champ
07-04-2009, 02:56 AM
According to Woody's article that is based on a national poll on sports teams...it has lost popularity. The criteria is..."in eight categories bang for the buck, fan relations, ownership (honesty and loyalty to players and in the community), ticket and concession affordability, stadium and arena experience, players (effort and likability), coaching and titles won or expected. "

According, however, to ESPN The Magazine's seventh annual ranking of franchises in the four major professional sports, the Broncos are the least-popular overall franchise in Denver.

zowie!

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen used to rank annually in the top 10 among the best owners. He has fallen this year to 70th. Wonder why.

Not surprised either Woody...

But the Avalanche did place one spot overall above the Broncos, who fared poorly in coaching (106), even though Josh McDaniels hasn't coached a game.

Funny..didn't the Avalanche just hire a rookie coach in Sacco?Hilarious!

Guess which team, the poll claims, has players who give the best effort on the field and are best-liked off the field.

Again, that would be your Inksters. But those Nuggets are only 49th, while the Broncos are 67th, the Rockies 71st and the Avalanche 79th. (In truth, generally, the most likable athletes in Denver and other cities are hockey players. The least likable are baseball players. In recent years, many of the Broncos have not made friends or influenced people in Denver.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12745840

Killericon
07-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Shanahan had rings. He's gone. This is sort of expected.

NYBronco
07-04-2009, 04:46 AM
People have always had a difficult time accepting change.

BroncoMan4ever
07-04-2009, 04:47 AM
that is bull****. i don't care what an ESPN article or Woody Paige say, the Broncos are and will always be the premier franchise in Denver. opening day the stadium will be filled and not a seat will be empty. you can still go to the box office hours before a Rockies, Nuggets, and Avs game for tickets. with the Broncos if you didn't get your tickets in July, you are basically ****ed or looking for a scalper.

the broncos are in a state of being rebuilt that most fans have either never seen or for the older fans, haven't seen since 95, and because of that, most of us are a little unsure of what to expect. but regardless of the change, we Broncos fans will remain loyal. screw ESPN, they have no idea what they are talking about

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Nice knee-jerk reaction. In order for it to be published now in ESPN the Mag, that poll was probably taken about two months ago, or just about immediately after the draft and after Cutler whined and bitched his way out of town.

No real surprise.

Combined with the Nuggets rise to the Western Semis, this is to be expected.

And if the Broncos are so unpopular, I'd like to know who is giving up their tickets, and if I may have them. Because there's still no team I'd rather see than this one.

bpc
07-04-2009, 07:06 AM
3-13 this season. Just be ready.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-04-2009, 07:07 AM
3-13 this season. Just be ready.

Thanks for the tip! SO who told you? Magic 8 ball? Or phone Miss Cleo's psychic hotline?

Call me now for your free reedin'!
http://dontgosouth.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/misscleo.jpg

Popps
07-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Articles like this make the widows feel better about their decision to be half assed fans.

rbackfactory80
07-04-2009, 07:32 AM
They are a pro football team. They either win or lose. What have they done in the last ten years? There comes a time when you can't keep receiving accolades for achievements of a decade or more ago. Making the coaching change at least acknowledges the stagnant state Denver has been in.

Hogan11
07-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Articles like this make the widows feel better about their decision to be half assed fans.

This is the truth.

watermock
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
It's your not a fan if __ ____ club again.

Hogan11
07-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Well, it's better than the "I'm a fan as long as they're winning" club at least.

Rabb
07-04-2009, 10:37 AM
doesn't change the fact that I am a fan, next

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 10:39 AM

if you whine and cry so much about how bad the team will be, that you actually want them to be bad just so you can say you were right and the people with hope were wrong.

cutthemdown
07-04-2009, 10:39 AM
OF course they are. Losing get's rid of the fair weather fans.

TheReverend
07-04-2009, 10:55 AM
OF course they are. Losing get's rid of the fair weather fans.

And the goal of a franchise is to thin out their fan base.

Got it.

listopencil
07-04-2009, 11:01 AM
if you whine and cry so much about how bad the team will be, that you actually want them to be bad just so you can say you were right and the people with hope were wrong.

Right on time, it's the True Fan Militia.

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Articles like this make the widows feel better about their decision to be half assed fans.This is the truth.

No it's not. What is freaking WITH you guys? Just because lots of us - most of us - have problems with some of the moves being made, suddenly we're "bad fans," or "half-assed" fans?! That's makes absolutely no sense. You sound suspiciously like the brain-dead, flag-draped George W. Bush mantra, "you're either with us or against us."

You don't have to be a zombie who swallows everything whole to be a "good fan." It's a shame you don't understand that.

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
No it's not. What is freaking WITH you guys? Just because lots of us - most of us - have problems with some of the moves being made, suddenly we're "bad fans," or "half-assed" fans?! That's makes absolutely no sense. You sound suspiciously like the brain-dead, flag-draped George W. Bush mantra, "you're either with us or against us."

You don't have to be a zombie who swallows everything whole to be a "good fan." It's a shame you don't understand that.

no, what you dont understand is there is a difference in not liking moves and being a whiny bitch who wants the team to fail just to prove that you were right and everyone else was wrong. to constantly cry about how bad the team is and always will be under mcdaniels when in reality you have ZERO idea how the team will be, you are just spouting the same hating bull**** that has literally no merit. if the team starts winning this year, what are you gonna cry about then? what if they make the playoffs, still gonna go on your hater parade and try to make everyone feel bad about supporting the team? thats the difference, you guys took "questioning moves" to an ENTIRELY new level several months ago.

watermock
07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow, "guy".

No, the ball hasn't been kicked off, but it's ok to speculate on the Artest move, which is similiar to BM. Oh wait, no it isn't.

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 12:22 PM
no, what you dont understand is there is a difference in not liking moves and being a whiny b**** who wants the team to fail

"Wants the team to fail," eh?

You made my point for me, right there. Game, set, match :thumbs:

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
"Wants the team to fail," eh?

You made my point for me, right there. Game, set, match :thumbs:

as long as it proves that you didnt waste the entire offseason crying about how bad they will be, i dont doubt for one second that you prefer them to be bad so you can say you were right.

BigPlayShay
07-04-2009, 01:09 PM
This team might not win more games this year than last, but they will be a better team.

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 01:16 PM
as long as it proves that you didnt waste the entire offseason crying about how bad they will be, i dont doubt for one second that you prefer them to be bad so you can say you were right.
Nonsense ... that's your own invention. And to be honest, it's kinda insulting.

Besides, most of us on "both sides" of this issue are predicting about the same result this year ... between 5 and 8 wins. So where's this "prefer them to be bad" assumption?

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
This team might not win more games this year than last, but they will be a better team.

I think I'm with you there ... it looks like that very well might be the case :thumbs:

DBroncos4life
07-04-2009, 01:44 PM

I think they just point out that outside of the OM not to many people think we are making the right moves.

SoCalBronco
07-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I think they just point out that outside of the OM not to many people think we are making the right moves.

Even on the OM, there's a bunch of people that don't think we're making the right moves. And the number appears to be growing.

TheReverend
07-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Outside of some absolutely amazing coaching performances, I don't see that as a possibility.

Would be sweet if you're right though.

DBroncos4life
07-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Even on the OM, there's a bunch of people that don't think we're making the right moves. And the number appears to be growing.

I just do it because I like being called out by the true fans. :spit:

Hogan11
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Bullshat. The slight was against the bandwagon fan, not the fan whose unhappy with the team's moves and you know it. The difference? One will still be there watching and supporting the team throughout the season while the other one won't or will be primarily supporting their "second team" instead.

cutthemdown
07-04-2009, 02:10 PM
And the goal of a franchise is to thin out their fan base.

Got it.

LOL no that's not the goal, it's just what happens when you don't win anything for 10 yrs. Sure a couple playoff runs keep the hardcore fans excited but to really get the bandwagon going you need to win Superbowls.

DBroncos4life
07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I know this won't be popular but bandwagon fans buy team gear, which helps Pat so you would think that fans jumping ship would only be hurting Pat.

Blueflame
07-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Bullshat. The slight was against the bandwagon fan, not the fan whose unhappy with the team's moves and you know it. The difference? One will still be there watching and supporting the team throughout the season while the other one won't or will be primarily supporting their "second team" instead.

No distinction is being made here though, Hogan. Everyone who even marginally questions McDaniels has been attacked and slighted and called a bandwagon fan. It certainly looks to me like that slight was aimed directly at BroncoBuff... and he's most defintely not a "bandwagon fan who will be happy if the team loses".....

lazarus4444
07-04-2009, 02:34 PM
The fans are divided but the team is united. The bandwagon fans will be back after this year, that is for sure. BroncoBuff, i know you are a true fan and just don't like the moves but i think that mcdaniels will prove you wrong and i know you hope he proves you wrong.

Hogan11
07-04-2009, 02:41 PM
No distinction is being made here though, Hogan.

I'm making it.

Everyone who even marginally questions McDaniels has been attacked and slighted and called a bandwagon fan. It certainly looks to me like that slight was aimed directly at BroncoBuff...

Not by me. For the record, I don't believe I've ever attacked anyone who's questioned McDaniels, so it was Buff who lumped me in with that group of which you speak.

Blueflame
07-04-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm making it.

Not by me. For the record, I don't believe I've ever attacked anyone who's questioned McDaniels, so it was Buff who lumped me in with that group of which you speak.

Oh, I know that you're not doing that... but Tsiguy and Popps and some of the others definitely have exaggerated "questioning McDaniels" into "rooting for the Broncos to lose" or "should go support another team"... and as BroncoBuff said earlier, it's pretty insulting.

maher_tyler
07-04-2009, 03:52 PM
that is bull****. i don't care what an ESPN article or Woody Paige say, the Broncos are and will always be the premier franchise in Denver. opening day the stadium will be filled and not a seat will be empty. you can still go to the box office hours before a Rockies, Nuggets, and Avs game for tickets. with the Broncos if you didn't get your tickets in July, you are basically ****ed or looking for a scalper.

the broncos are in a state of being rebuilt that most fans have either never seen or for the older fans, haven't seen since 95, and because of that, most of us are a little unsure of what to expect. but regardless of the change, we Broncos fans will remain loyal. screw ESPN, they have no idea what they are talking about

Rep!

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 07:20 PM
For the record, I don't believe I've ever attacked anyone who's questioned McDaniels, so it was Buff who lumped me in with that group of which you speak.It didn't sound like you ... but then again you did agree that those who like the article are "half-assed fans." Once you pointed out the distinction you were ostensibly making, I suppose I understand.

I'm just not sure I see alot of bandwagoneers around here hating ???

Oh, I know that you're not doing that... but Tsiguy and Popps and some of the others definitely have exaggerated "questioning McDaniels" into "rooting for the Broncos to lose" or "should go support another team"... and as BroncoBuff said earlier, it's pretty insulting.
Bingo, well said. It seems like the Joe McCarthy anti-American hearings around here sometimes. I tell you, nobody questions my fan status, nobody but me anyway.

And I'd like to take issue with the idea that those who have serious questions withthe team's direction are necessarily a "minority." I can name numerous, myself, Blue, Taco, SoCal, Rev, footsteps, DB4life, watremock, worm, summer, rabbitmaster, listopencil, TheDave, broncofan7 ... literally just off the top of my head ... all these people, top posters here every one, have expressed varying levels of concern, concern that qualifies as "being a bad fan" in the inside-out world of tsi and Popps.

And how about one more: Patrick D. Bowlen himself: "There's no doubt he's (Josh) make rookie mistakes."

'nuff said

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
BroncoBuff, i know you are a true fan and just don't like the moves but i think that mcdaniels will prove you wrong and i know you hope he proves you wrong.Again, well said ... damn right I do :thumbs:

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 09:56 PM
i dont think you guys dont understand the distinction between questioning mcdaniels and calling doom and gloom and failure before even seeing wahts on the field.

watermock
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Many have questioned McBeavis.

maher_tyler
07-04-2009, 10:10 PM
i dont think you guys dont understand the distinction between questioning mcdaniels and calling doom and gloom and failure before even seeing wahts on the field.

Exactly...i'll call McD a failure when he fails..until then i have high hopes. I have a gut feeling he's going to prove appearently A LOT of people wrong..and i can't wait!! Keep in mind Noah didn't build the Ark in one day!!

TheReverend
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Exactly...i'll call McD a failure when he fails..until then i have high hopes. I have a gut feeling he's going to prove appearently A LOT of people wrong..and i can't wait!! Keep in mind Noah didn't build the Ark in one day!!

Ah... so McDaniels is now being compared to Mediterranean folklore heroes?

I'll jump on board with:

Odysseus overcame impossible odds with his wit and character. McDaniels will too!

Popps
07-04-2009, 10:44 PM
None of the hardcore fans I know are feeling less fan-like.

Must be the soft-ass newbies and bandwagoners.

I've seen much darker days in my 30 years watching the team. If I'm the only guy in the sports bar watching a Broncos game like the old (pre SB) days, so be it.

Pat Bowlen had enough of mediorcity and did the right thing. That's not always popular. The fly by nights can stay or go. Doesn't matter to me.

TheReverend
07-04-2009, 10:53 PM
None of the hardcore fans I know are feeling less fan-like.

Must be the soft-ass newbies and bandwagoners.

I've seen much darker days in my 30 years watching the team. If I'm the only guy in the sports bar watching a Broncos game like the old (pre SB) days, so be it.

Pat Bowlen had enough of mediorcity and did the right thing. That's not always popular. The fly by nights can stay or go. Doesn't matter to me.

No one's a better fan than you. :thumbs:

TDmvp
07-04-2009, 10:57 PM

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2490/motivator8028312.jpg

TDmvp
07-04-2009, 11:02 PM
And as far as them being popular ... Popularity is not why I got on this horse.
Heck I loved that everyone around me hated them ...

And If herd gets thinned a tad , it happens ... Just be thinning it back to pre 90's super bowl numbers , and lose the ones we picked up then... I know people personally that didn't like them till they won .

But hey I can't change teams ... I'd have to repaint my room and get rid of tons of stuff... LOL ...

BUT I did like the Bears when i was 10 or so and Payton was there ... Their colors are pretty close ... Hmmmmm

heheh just threw that in to screw with Popps hehe ...

Popps
07-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Not saying that, of course. I just didn't care if it was trendy to love this team as a kid, and care even less now.

Not sure why any fan would eyeball the "popularity" rankings to decide how they feel about the team.

Broncos fans were bashed unmercifully in the 80s. A coaching change is supposed to shake me out?

Please.

Hulamau
07-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Quoted for truth, and that's fine with me for year ONE of the new dawn.... the beginning of something special. :sunshine:

Baba Booey
07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm from New Jersey and it's quite apparent even to me that the Broncos are the premier franchise in Denver. It's pretty much that way with every NFL team in every city. People go bonkers for the NFL.

Hulamau
07-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Last polls I saw didn't reflect that SoCal. Besides asking for which 'moves' anyone liked, why not ask what's the feeling for this team over the next few years with McD?

I'm excited as hell to watch it all pan out and feel its going to work out just fine. Albeit with some expected growing pains.

Most of these high brow 'analyst' both on the OM and in the press that are throwing McD and the Broncos under the bus seem stuck in a 'fantasy football' type mentality by looking in the rear view mirror at how this defense performed the past few years and expect exactly the same or worse, inspite of the changes.

Some of these guys seem fixated on past stats pages for players as a blueprint of just how they will perform in an all new system and overlook the impact of better coaching, a fresh new approach and greater focus on so many little details that make all the difference between getting the most out of even the journeymen players ... that makes all the difference in a competitive league between winning and losing.

The funny thing is, each year there is often at least a 50% turnover in rankings of the top 100 of so fantasy players and how they actually perform in the upcoming year, because each year new guys step up and older 'stars' fade.

I think a lot of these guys find it 'safer' to bitch and moan now for fear of being 'wrong' and getting disappointed if we struggle. They apparently had gotten used to being let down so often the last Shanny years, and that mentality always makes it easier to complain and find reasons 'why not' than to embrace change and see the new possibilities early on.

We lose a pouty immature QB and some get all weak-kneed and start knashing their teeth "WOA is me, WOOA is MEEE!" :drown:

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 12:11 AM
well said...i cant wait for this year i know that

BroncoBuff
07-05-2009, 01:27 AM

The number predicting "doom and gloom" seem few and far between to me.

You might be projecting that mindset on everybody who questions McD maybe?

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 07:21 AM
The number predicting "doom and gloom" seem few and far between to me.

You might be projecting that mindset on everybody who questions McD maybe?

no, im not at all. people saying we WILL be bad, we WILL fail, we WILL not win more then 4 games, essentially everyone predicting absolute failure without a chance for success, and the number on this forum is excessively large. instead of saying how bad tehy are gonna be all the time, i dont understand why none of the haters are receptive to the idea that the team could actually be pretty good?

Bronco Bob
07-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not giving up on the team before they've played a single game.
I survived the Wade Phillips era, I think I can get through the McDaniels
era.

Blueflame
07-05-2009, 01:25 PM
no, im not at all. people saying we WILL be bad, we WILL fail, we WILL not win more then 4 games, essentially everyone predicting absolute failure without a chance for success, and the number on this forum is excessively large. instead of saying how bad tehy are gonna be all the time, i dont understand why none of the haters are receptive to the idea that the team could actually be pretty good?

If one's expecting a 4-12 season... anything more than 4 wins is going to make that fan very happy (and even fewer wins... if it happened... wouldn't be "devastating"). However, if that same fan is expecting 10-12 wins and a playoff berth, being wrong is going to be quite painful. It's simple.... in light of the number of last-year's-playoff-teams on our '09 schedule, some choose to be "realistic" rather than "overly-optimistic"....

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 01:32 PM
If one's expecting a 4-12 season... anything more than 4 wins is going to make that fan very happy (and even fewer wins... if it happened... wouldn't be "devastating"). However, if that same fan is expecting 10-12 wins and a playoff berth, being wrong is going to be quite painful. It's simple.... in light of the number of last-year's-playoff-teams on our '09 schedule, some choose to be "realistic" rather than "overly-optimistic"....

realistic for this team is 8-8. the defense is bound to be better than last year, the offense really wont be much worse (11th in offensive scoring...) so the only thing stopping this team from being better than last year is SOS, and it is brutal

NFLBRONCO
07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
With all the changes and weak DL and new QB new system going in I can understand why some like me can see us going 4-12 or 6-10 in 09. Does that mean it will happen NO but, until they play some games its only opinions. This team can get alot of benefit out of this season regardless of the record. I for one would love this team to play smarter, tougher and more consistant and get better each week something last few years has lacked. Shanny's teams had talent on O but, were SOFT mentally.

Blueflame
07-05-2009, 02:00 PM
realistic for this team is 8-8. the defense is bound to be better than last year, the offense really wont be much worse (11th in offensive scoring...) so the only thing stopping this team from being better than last year is SOS, and it is brutal

Some of us don't see 8-8 as "realistic"... given the tough schedule and all the chaos of the offseason. McDaniels is unproven as a HC... while he might be up to the job; he also might be in way over his head (and some of us are convinced that this is true).

TheChamp24
07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
IMO, for this year, I'm seeing between 6-9 wins, with potential of another loss or win thrown in there.
Most realistically, I see a 7-9/6-10 season. People saying the defense will be better, well yeah it can't be any worse really, but it isn't exactly going to be pretty to watch. The offense will be going through changes and have its ups and downs.
And of course, depending on injuries, and breaks in games, we could get more wins, or more losses.
This upcoming season I'm not exactly expecting a whole lot, the main thing I want to see is progress being made.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Yeah, well, you can kiss my ass, SoCal.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Outside of some absolutely amazing coaching performances, I don't see that as a possibility.

Would be sweet if you're right though.

You can kiss my ass also, Rev. You and SoCal pretend like you're knowledgeable, fact is neither of you know Jack.

oubronco
07-05-2009, 06:47 PM

could be an awful set of QB's that we have but I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
could be an awful set of QB's that we have but I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong

Are you sure you'll eat crow gladly? It's easier said then done. I'm gonna rub your nose in the dirt. Are you gonna eat that crow? I can really rub it in and will do so. Don't start crying when I rub your nose in the dirt . . . .

TheReverend
07-05-2009, 06:56 PM
You can kiss my ass also, Rev. You and SoCal pretend like you're knowledgeable, fact is neither of you know Jack.

Yes. Clearly. You certainly owned us with a very knowledgable post explaining why and posting your supporting evidence and more. I'm in awe.

Edit: I'm guessing this is one of those situations in which in your head you're "rubbing our noses in the dirt"?

Northman
07-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, do i give a **** if all the bandwagoners jump ship? Emmmmm no.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes. Clearly. You certainly owned us with a very knowledgable post explaining why and posting your supporting evidence and more. I'm in awe.

Edit: I'm guessing this is one of those situations in which in your head you're "rubbing our noses in the dirt"?

I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

Just keep posting, Rev. The more you post the more opportunities you give me to rub your nose in the dirt.

TheReverend
07-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

Just keep posting, Rev. The more you post the more opportunities you give me to rub your nose in the dirt.

You're so cute.

You gonna ask if you can spank me again?

Probably the creepiest moment in Mane history...

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
You're so cute.

You gonna ask if you can spank me again?

Probably the creepiest moment in Mane history...

Daddy Cito had to give the little girl Rev a spanking. That's what Dad's do. You don't learn your lessons well. You're an obstreperous one.

DBroncos4life
07-05-2009, 07:19 PM
So Cito you don't think that the Broncos are losing popularity then?

Kid A
07-05-2009, 07:24 PM
People might be less than thrilled with the Broncos right now and say they are their least favorite team in the state right now, but everyone knows this is ultimately bull****. The Nuggets/Rockies/Avs are not, nor ever will be, more popular in terms of how much attention or care is directed their way.

People might have more positive feelings toward the Nuggs at this moment, but come Week 1 the entire state will have themselves parked in front of the TV, even if it is to just curse McDaniels. It's the NFL. It's the team that has defined the city for decades. Even a long stretch of sucking wouldn't change their preeminence.

Sure, more of the attention might become negative, but people will continue to care about every little drama that takes place in Dove Valley. Denverites will spend more time b****ing about the Broncos than they ever will talking about the other teams' success.

bronco_boi_5280
07-05-2009, 07:36 PM

ROFL @ This, big time.

Yes, because you're the authority on all things Broncos. You even have a channel inside Jay Cutler's head!

You're a dweeb.

Blueflame
07-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, well, you can kiss my ass, SoCal.

Yeah, 'cause SoCal never invested his own vacation time to go to training camp so that he could provide the rest of us with first-hand reviews of what he saw or anything.... ::)

He's obviously a know-nothing nitwit...

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
So Cito you don't think that the Broncos are losing popularity then?

The Broncos are not losing popularity.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
People might be less than thrilled with the Broncos right now and say they are their least favorite team in the state right now, but everyone knows this is ultimately bull****. The Nuggets/Rockies/Avs are not, nor ever will be, more popular in terms of how much attention or care is directed their way.

People might have more positive feelings toward the Nuggs at this moment, but come Week 1 the entire state will have themselves parked in front of the TV, even if it is to just curse McDaniels. It's the NFL. It's the team that has defined the city for decades. Even a long stretch of sucking wouldn't change their preeminence.

Sure, more of the attention might become negative, but people will continue to care about every little drama that takes place in Dove Valley. Denverites will spend more time b****ing about the Broncos than they ever will talking about the other teams' success.

True.

SoCalBronco
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Are you sure you'll eat crow gladly? It's easier said then done. I'm gonna rub your nose in the dirt. Are you gonna eat that crow? I can really rub it in and will do so. Don't start crying when I rub your nose in the dirt . . . .

Fair enough. That would definitely be your right if they do well.

And if you are wrong?

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
ROFL @ This, big time.

Yes, because you're the authority on all things Broncos. You even have a channel inside Jay Cutler's head!

You're a dweeb.

Rev is a dweeb, but not the Pelon. Try to be accurate.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM

And if you are wrong?

Could get ugly. I'll have to take it as well as dish it out. But, I don't eat humble pie often.

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM

And if you are wrong?

and if hes wrong? what you gonna do come back here and go "HAHA i told you the broncos willl suck! yes!!! i was right!! i knew the broncos would suck im so awesome for hoping my team does bad!!"

then what are you gonna do? will it make you feel better knowing that the team you supposedly cheer for did bad just so you can rub it in to other fans faces that they were wrong for hoping they would do good?

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah, 'cause SoCal never invested his own vacation time to go to training camp so that he could provide the rest of us with first-hand reviews of what he saw or anything.... ::)

He's obviously a know-nothing nitwit...

Colorado vacations are generally a treat.

SoCalBronco
07-05-2009, 08:53 PM
and if hes wrong? what you gonna do come back here and go "HAHA i told you the broncos willl suck! yes!!! i was right!! i knew the broncos would suck im so awesome for hoping my team does bad!!"

then what are you gonna do? will it make you feel better knowing that the team you supposedly cheer for did bad just so you can rub it in to other fans faces that they were wrong for hoping they would do good?

I knew the True Fan police would come in and say that. Actually...no one is going to cheer and say "haha i told you the broncos would suck, i was right, im so awesome"!. But, we would expect an apology from those (such as you) who played the "true fan" card over and over during the offseason, especially since you misrepresented yourself as being someone who simply wanted to "wait and see".

Blueflame
07-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Colorado vacations are generally a treat.

Well, I for one am quite grateful for the service he provides for the rest of us who weren't able to be there. His analysis has been far superior to that of the "professional" sports writers...

DBroncos4life
07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
The Broncos are not losing popularity.

So our owner dropping from 10th to 60th in the best owners in sports was do to what then?

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I knew the True Fan police would come in and say that. Actually...no one is going to cheer and say "haha i told you the broncos would suck, i was right, im so awesome"!. But, we would expect an apology from those (such as you) who played the "true fan" card over and over during the offseason, especially since you misrepresented yourself as being someone who simply wanted to "wait and see".

you want me to apologize for being an eternal broncos optimist, one who refuses to say the season is over before it actually is? wait and see is just that, the season can go both ways im not going to sit here and predict failure when i have no clue if they will and more reasons to think they wont, and im curious when its been a bad thing to hope that a team does good instead of constantly predicting they will do bad?

Archer81
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
So our owner dropping from 10th to 60th in the best owners in sports was do to what then?

A decade of .500 football will do that. You cant honestly say Bowlen was not trying to win. he shelled out alot of money on players, and worked to make the team facilities player friendly. Before all the superbowls Robert kraft was considered the cheapest owner in sports. Winning changes perceptions.

:Broncos:

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM

You've been kind of an ass lately, SoCal. Sourpuss galore.

DBroncos4life
07-05-2009, 09:07 PM
you want me to apologize for being an eternal broncos optimist, one who refuses to say the season is over before it actually is? wait and see is just that, the season can go both ways im not going to sit here and predict failure when i have no clue if they will and more reasons to think they wont, and im curious when its been a bad thing to hope that a team does good instead of constantly predicting they will do bad?

A bad thing? Its never a bad thing. Since I was 9 years old I have always said Denver was going to win the Super Bowl at the start of each year. This year not so much. Again we are NOT ****ING PREDICTING FAILURE we are simply saying we DON'T THINK THINGS ARE GOING WELL AT THE TOP! I don't know why its so damn hard for you to under stand that. Browns fans and Lions fans year in and year out go to the game and watch **** for teams being fielded and root for there teams and openly bash their teams FO from top to bottom and no one calls them ban wagon fans but **** us Broncos fans that have 20 plus years invested into this team and countless amounts of money spent on team gear because we don't want to line up and give our new HC a BJ.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 09:08 PM

It's a tough business, Bowlen didn't stand pat. He shook things up. The Broncs were stagnant, won only one AFC West Title in ten years. That's a bad stretch, the franchise hadn't been that bereft of Division Titles since the 1960's.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
A bad thing? Its never a bad thing. Since I was 9 years old I have always said Denver was going to win the Super Bowl at the start of each year. This year not so much. Again we are NOT ****ING PREDICTING FAILURE we are simply saying we DON'T THINK THINGS ARE GOING WELL AT THE TOP! I don't know why its so damn hard for you to under stand that. Browns fans and Lions fans year in and year out go to the game and watch **** for teams being fielded and root for there teams and openly bash their teams FO from top to bottom and no one calls them ban wagon fans but **** us Broncos fans that have 20 plus years invested into this team and countless amounts of money spent on team gear because we don't want to line up and give our new HC a BJ.

And I'm saying you're making an ass of yourself. You're flipping out before the TC even starts. Relax.

DBroncos4life
07-05-2009, 09:15 PM
A decade of .500 football will do that. You cant honestly say Bowlen was not trying to win. he shelled out alot of money on players, and worked to make the team facilities player friendly. Before all the superbowls Robert kraft was considered the cheapest owner in sports. Winning changes perceptions.

Yet Denver finished top 5 in money spent for wins. Ticket sales, revenue from team gear is good. Year in and year out we have good TV coverage and in one off season, I repeat one off season our owner dropped from 10th to somewhere in the 60's for sport owners and you are going to say that well a "decade" of .500 football will do that? Ten years to fall from the top ten to the sixties? Not happening my friend. Some of you fans act like there is only one or two major media networks that are singling Denver out when in fact its every major media network that thinks Denver is heading for some bad times. Former NFL players question whats being done at the top and openly think that we are losing control at this time. You guys act like there isn't a damn thing to worry about at all and that a few of the best posters I have known on this board for a number of years are just acting out because they are afraid of change.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
On paper this is a pretty good team. We'll see how it pans out.

Archer81
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
We'll see how it goes. With all the backs they brought in it appears we are going to be a run first team. Considering our offensive line was one of the better ones last season, that should allow the offense to control tempo and protect the defense. As for the owner rankings...who gives a ****? If Denver goes 12-4 next season and makes it to the AFCC game, no one will remember that in July a stupid article came out about an arbitrary owner/team ranking.

BroncoBuff
07-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Could get ugly. I'll have to take it as well as dish it out. But, I don't eat humble pie often.

How about that time you claimed Josh wouldn't name his starting QB until two weeks into the regular season?

That was a menu of piping hot crow served right up. Sad too, because it was just simple math ;D

BroncoBuff
07-05-2009, 09:39 PM

On paper this team has huge holes ... none of out OLBs have ever played OLB before, our D-linemen have almost zero starting experience in the league, and we have totally new systems on both sides of the ball.

Now ... you were saying?

Archer81
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
On paper this team has huge holes ... none of out OLBs have ever played OLB before, our D-linemen have almost zero starting experience in the league, and we have totally new systems on both sides of the ball.

Now ... you were saying?

Championship.

24champ
07-05-2009, 09:45 PM

http://mickeys.net/image/super-trophy.jpg

BroncoBuff
07-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Championship.

Yeah well, I hope the optimists are right ... but my eyes are wide open.

Some reality is a bitch :(

Archer81
07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah well, I hope the optimists are right ... but my eyes are wide open.

Some reality is a b**** :(

We will just have to wait and see. They havent even hit TC yet, no point being all doom and gloom because of it. Stranger things have happened then a playoff run with a rookie HC. Falcons two offseasons ago were in complete disarray and went 11-5. Considering how awful our defense was the last 2 seasons, they cant be that bad again for a third year in a row.

DBroncos4life
07-05-2009, 10:14 PM
We will just have to wait and see. They havent even hit TC yet, no point being all doom and gloom because of it. Stranger things have happened then a playoff run with a rookie HC. Falcons two offseasons ago were in complete disarray and went 11-5. Considering how awful our defense was the last 2 seasons, they cant be that bad again for a third year in a row.

See what a great QB will do for a team.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 10:35 PM
How about that time you claimed Josh wouldn't name his starting QB until two weeks into the regular season?

That was a menu of piping hot crow served right up. Sad too, because it was just simple math ;D

Your math was bad, not mine. I'm not gonna eat crow because you go into hysterics, Buff.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Now ... you were saying?

Relax. TC hasn't even started.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
http://mickeys.net/image/super-trophy.jpg

You go get 'em, Johnny Dillinger Depp.

Atlas
07-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Shanny got the 5th most wins in thge NFL for the amount of money Denver was spending. So obviously Mr. Bowlen hasn't been spending much money over the last 10 years.

Cito Pelon
07-05-2009, 10:49 PM

Now ... you were saying?

I think we'll be OK. I think the team is looking forward to attacking in all phases. This isn't a team full of pussies, OK?

Popps
07-06-2009, 12:36 AM
I love the notion that a decade with one playoff win is "popular," but suddenly we're "unpopular" before our guys have put pads on.

Sounds perfectly rational to me.

Anyway, someone bump my "give me your gear" thread. I'm still offering free shipping to anyone who wants to send me their stuff. You know, us being unpopular and all.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 12:52 AM
I think we'll be OK. I think the team is looking forward to attacking in all phases. This isn't a team full of pussies, OK?
Fair enough, granted :thumbs:

Truth is, I'm excited about the offense, Moreno + Hillis gives me a shiver up my leg.

But I'm kinda scared half to death on the defense ... I'd feel a lot better if they moved MT ahead of McBean, though I suppose there's plenty of time for all that to shake out.

24champ
07-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Anyway, someone bump my "give me your gear" thread. I'm still offering free shipping to anyone who wants to send me their stuff. You know, us being unpopular and all.

I thought you had every Broncos gear available. Since you are the #1 Bronco fan. No?

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
I thought you had every Broncos gear available. Since you are the #1 Bronco fan. No?

I envy his passion :(

TailgateNut
07-06-2009, 08:17 AM

"their second team"Hilarious!

Popps
07-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Wow, so I see what you did there. You took someone else's post and put your name on it. Great job!!! Even funnier the 2nd time!

Anyway, not the best fan. I just don't need to ask the public's approval to root for the team.

Anyway, I wear a large. Let me know what you're sending. Thanks!

24champ
07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow, so I see what you did there. You took someone else's post and put your name on it. Great job!!! Even funnier the 2nd time!

Anyway, not the best fan. I just don't need to ask the public's approval to root for the team.

Anyway, I wear a large. Let me know what you're sending. Thanks!

I figured you had every bronco item available as the #1 Bronco fan. You must of collected a lot of gear if you have been through tougher times than this and when "Bronco fans were bashed unmercifully."

Guess not.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I wear a large.

Interesting. I'm extra large.

Popps
07-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I figured you had every bronco item available as the #1 Bronco fan. You must of collected a lot of gear if you have been through tougher times than this and when "Bronco fans were bashed unmercifully.".

Most gear = #1 fan? Didn't know that.

I've got plenty of gear, and of course I'm not the number one fan. I just remember times much harder than this. But, the joke you stole from someone else a few posts earlier keeps getting funnier the more you say it!

Tell you what, you go ahead and consult your popularity panel and see if it's O.K. for you to still be a fan. Hopefully you won't be afraid of anyone laughing at you in your Broncos gear. Again, PM me if you need to get rid of it.

24champ
07-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Most gear = #1 fan? Didn't know that.

Apparently it is, since you seem to be wanting gear to prove that your this great fan.

Tell you what, you go ahead and consult your popularity panel and see if it's O.K. for you to still be a fan. Hopefully you won't be afraid of anyone laughing at you in your Broncos gear. Again, PM me if you need to get rid of it.

I don't know where you got the impression that I was looking to get rid of Broncos gear but hey good luck with that.

I don't feel the need as you do, to boast or do some chest thumping on the internets about how I stuck through the team through some hard times. (Golf clap) Good for you Popps.

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't feel the need as you do, to boast or do some chest thumping on the internets .

Chest thumping?

I'm just not being shaken out by other people's opinion questioning my team's "popularity."

Nor do I get why anyone would care.

But, you're apparently hyper-sensitive to the issue that some of us have been fans for a while, and seem to take the notion that we're not wishy-washy very personally.

I wonder why that is?

24champ
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
But, you're apparently hyper-sensitive to the issue that some of us have been fans for a while, and seem to take the notion that we're not wishy-washy very personally.

I don't care how long you've been rooting for the Broncos. I've rooted for worse franchises in other sports, difference is I'm not patting myself on the back because of it on some internet forum.

Apparently that's your thing, whatever makes you feel better about yourself Popps. :thumbs:

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:26 PM
difference is I'm not patting myself on the back because of it on some internet forum.:

"Some internet forum?"

ROFL!

You've got 12K posts here. You don't know the forum name?

Again, my posts were in RESPONSE to a bunch of crybaby nonsense worrying about fringe fans and which way the wind was blowing. I didn't start the topic, I simply responded.

As I said, no chest thumping. I'm just not going to worry if a few pussies get shaken out. You can lose all the sleep over it you want to. I'll be rooting for this team until I die, just like most hardcore fans.

TheReverend
07-06-2009, 04:32 PM
"Some internet forum?"

ROFL!

Again, my posts were in RESPONSE to a bunch of crybaby nonsense worrying about fringe fans and which way the wind was blowing. I didn't start the topic, I simply responded.

As I said, no chest thumping. I'm just not going to worry if a few pussies get shaken out. You can lose all the sleep over it you want to. I'll be rooting for this team until I die, just like most hardcore fans.

How's your tennis game, goin?

Just sayin...

24champ
07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
"Some internet forum?"

ROFL!

If that's the best response you can come up with...wow. Hilarious!

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
How's your tennis game, goin?

Just sayin...

Not bad. More gym and hoops than tennis lately, but only so much time in the week. Just got a new racket, too.

Thanks for asking!

Catch Wimbledon?

TheReverend
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Not bad. Gym and hoops than tennis, but only so much time in the week. Just got a new racket, too.

Thanks for asking!

Catch Wimbledon?

Only a touch. ****head lost it for America again.

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
If that's the best response you can come up with...wow. Hilarious!

Oh, there was more. Maybe you missed it. You were too busy trying to distance yourself from an "internet forum"... to which you have 12K posts.

:spit:

Popps
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Only a touch. ****head lost it for America again.

Well, an all-American women's final helped ease the sting. Even if it was those goof-balls.

There's no shame in losing to Federer. He really is probably the best ever. I might have said Sampras before this year, but now... it's tough to argue.

Meck77
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Only response I can come up with for this thread is off season sucks. Fellas fellas! Back away from the keyboard and get some sun!

24champ
07-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Only response I can come up with for this thread is off season sucks. Fellas fellas! Back away from the keyboard and get some sun!

I went on a 25 mile bike ride up the hills around here, I'm wiped out dude.

Popps
07-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Yo bro!

Just traveled across the country. Good times, but we got all the sun (and storms) we could handle.

Hope your summer is going well.

Blueflame
07-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Soooo.... what's on the grill tonight? ;D