PDA

View Full Version : Rumors Fly That Brandon Marshall Is Broke

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/03/rumors-fly-that-brandon-marshall-is-broke/

Rumors Fly That Brandon Marshall Is Broke

broncswin
07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Lol

bronco_boi_5280
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Poor Brandon.

DomCasual
07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Frankly, we find it hard to believe that Marshall is facing money troubles, if in fact he is (and we're not reporting that he is -- we're only saying that some league insiders think that he is). After pocketing a signing bonus of $420,000 in 2006, Marshall earned a base salary of $275,000 as a rookie, a base salary of $360,000 in 2007, and a base salary of $445,000 in 2008 (less two game checks, one for a suspension and one for a fine). Also, because of his stellar performances to date in his career, escalators in Marshall's rookie deal have pushed his 2009 salary to $2.198 million."

That's not really that much money, when you consider the lifestyle he's probably trying to maintain.

I'd actually be kind of surprised if he was flush with cash, at this point.

TonyR
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Raise your hand if you'd be surprised if this turned out to be true.

And then to think there's a possibility that he'd be stupid enough not to shut up and show up so he can get paid.

I love BM on the field so I really, truly hope that somehow this works out. But I think it's up to BM for that to happen.

Tombstone RJ
07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Frankly, we find it hard to believe that Marshall is facing money troubles, if in fact he is (and we're not reporting that he is -- we're only saying that some league insiders think that he is). After pocketing a signing bonus of $420,000 in 2006, Marshall earned a base salary of $275,000 as a rookie, a base salary of $360,000 in 2007, and a base salary of $445,000 in 2008 (less two game checks, one for a suspension and one for a fine). Also, because of his stellar performances to date in his career, escalators in Marshall's rookie deal have pushed his 2009 salary to $2.198 million."

That's not really that much money, when you consider the lifestyle he's probably trying to maintain.

I'd actually be kind of surprised if he was flush with cash, at this point.

So, your using the NBA excuse for needing more money, bigger contracts? I forget the NBA player who was quoted as saying something along the lines of "yah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too."

Ohh Really? And who's problem is that?

gyldenlove
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
How broke are you when you are staring down the business end of a 2 million dollar salary, get a few more credit cards to pay for your pizza and gas that way.

DomCasual
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
So, your using the NBA excuse for needing more money, bigger contracts? I forget the NBA player who was quoted as saying something along the lines of "yah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too."

Um, who's defending it?

Although, if you really want me to defend it, I will. It's a free market. He should be able to get whatever he can get. What he does with it after that is his business. But if you want me to argue he was underpaid at $445K in 2008 - okay. He definitely was.

NFLBRONCO
07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Cool he can't afford to holdout then see you at camp.

Tombstone RJ
07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Um, who's defending it?

Although, if you really want me to defend it, I will. It's a free market. He should be able to get whatever he can get. What he does with it after that is his business. But if you want me to argue he was underpaid at $445K in 2008 - okay. He definitely was.

I agree he's underpaid for his football production. However, if the guy can't keep himself out of trouble off the field, and if he's blowing what "little" money he has already made, then too bad.

The only thing stopping BMarsh for getting a huge contract is BMarsh.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Think about all the jack he has paid lawyers over the years to get him out of his messes.

NFLBRONCO
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree he's underpaid for his football production. However, if the guy can't keep himself out of trouble off the field, and if he's blowing what "little" money he has already made, then too bad.

QFT

TonyR
07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
The only thing stopping BMarsh from getting a huge contract is BMarsh.

This is one of the better comments I've read on the Mane recently.
(I took the liberty to change the word "for" to the intended "from")

DomCasual
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM

I don't disagree with any of that. His contract isn't going to be determined solely on the number of catches and TDs he has. There's too much money involved to not consider the peripheral stuff that he does. But again, the biggest factor will be the willingness of some sap to pay him.

The point I was making is that a half million dollars a year doesn't go too far, when you're trying to compete spending-wise with a bunch of people making far more than that.

broncswin
07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
zero sympathy, this douche is great on the field, but off of it I could care less for the POS...by the way I hope we keep him

watermock
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Just another unneeded distraction in the daily circus of Dove Valey.

montrose
07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Low-ball 'em Xanders.

Tombstone RJ
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Just another unneeded distraction in the daily circus of Dove Valey.

Just another uneeded post by mock in the daily circus of the Omane.

Flex Gunmetal
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
The guys at pft are retards. Last week brett favre was definitely a viking with a contract, this week brandon marshall may be broke?
If it's not misinformation it's a non-story.
God I hate that site.

loborugger
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Poor Brandon.

ba-dum-chheee!

broncofan2438
07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
See you in camp Brandon

strafen
07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
He's hoping the Broncos bail him out of his stupidity...
He's used to be bailed out of trouble, so this doesn't surprise me at bit...

Atlas
07-03-2009, 01:58 PM
This should really help his trade value.

cutthemdown
07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
IF he is broke then we can really play hardball. He misses camp we can fine the **** out of him. Tell him we will not trade you for anything less then a first round pick, and a 3rd round pick. If we are going to lose our stars we have to get multiple picks because we all know you often need 2-3 picks trying to fix just one position.

Atlas
07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
IF he is broke then we can really play hardball. He misses camp we can fine the **** out of him. Tell him we will not trade you for anything less then a first round pick, and a 3rd round pick. If we are going to lose our stars we have to get multiple picks because we all know you often need 2-3 picks trying to fix just one position.

Denver won't get multiple picks unless someone maybe dumps a 2nd and a 4th or something.

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Seems unlikely. Even so, walkout or no walkout, he could still DEFINITELY borrow. Don't even dream otherwise.

WABronco
07-03-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL PFT LOL.

Oh wait, they're affiliated with NBC now and have taken on more writers? But, but, Florio...he's a hack!

Anyways, not surprising if true. Dude's proven to be not amongst the sharpest tools.

Atlas
07-03-2009, 02:42 PM
What kind of great life you must have to be able to blow that kind of money. I can't even fathom that.

Hogan11
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
My heart just bleeds for him

Popps
07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
What kind of great life you must have to be able to blow that kind of money. I can't even fathom that.

It's easy to go through a couple hundred G a year, particularly if you have a family.

Now, when you're making 2.2 mil, and can't make ends meet on that... there's got to be some real bull**** spending going on.

Keep in mind, these are young... mostly dumb guys. Odds are, they don't take care of a buck too well, and odds are, they're probably competitive with their spending.

NFLBRONCO
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe the OM can start a pledge drive for BM.

NFLBRONCO
07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
If he is broke why does he wanted to be traded moving costs are killer.

maher_tyler
07-03-2009, 03:04 PM

I know right!!

If he would have gone about getting a new contract ala Casey Weigman and just showing up!!

Popps
07-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Maybe the OM can start a pledge drive for BM.

ROFL!

Pony Boy
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Pawn the ear big-ass diamond earrings.

cutthemdown
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Denver won't get multiple picks unless someone maybe dumps a 2nd and a 4th or something.

Didn't Branch get a 1st round pick? I mean cmon Brandon twice the WR he is. Roy Williams a first and 3rd. If brandon cant get a team to offer that then he has more work to do in Denver to convince the NFL he is a number 1 wr worth a huge investment.

If anything at this point the only reason he doesn't show is because hip is not well.

Atlas
07-03-2009, 03:54 PM
It's easy to go through a couple hundred G a year, particularly if you have a family.

Now, when you're making 2.2 mil, and can't make ends meet on that... there's got to be some real bull**** spending going on.

Keep in mind, these are young... mostly dumb guys. Odds are, they don't take care of a buck too well, and odds are, they're probably competitive with their spending.

Just think of the great times he had with that money.

footstepsfrom#27
07-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Maybe Bowlens checks bounced.

DomCasual
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
If he is broke why does he wanted to be traded moving costs are killer.

From the sound of it, he probably has a house near just about any place he would be traded.

TheDave
07-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Good... if true, the hold out will be short lived. ;)

Beantown Bronco
07-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Cutler must have been charging him an arm and a leg for that basement "apartment."

Baba Booey
07-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd gladly flick a coin into the spittoon and watch Marshall dive shamefully after it.

HILife
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
If this is true, then he is an idiot. Alot of people in the world don't even make 1/4 of what Marshall made in his first year SALARY alone and they seem to be able to make it through the year. I can't understand how he can throw his money away on things such as having a home in 3 different cities. Most people are happy with just one.

Punisher
07-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I hear UPS is hiring

Bronx33
07-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Kid needs to budget his money better.

Mediator12
07-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I think it's hilarious that people have not tied several of these cases that "just went Away" to payoffs from Mr. Marshall and his lawyers. Those are called liens if he has not paid them all off already and would severely factor into this environment and not being able to Borrow against future earnings....

That is not a lot of money to pay off people either. Especially, since I sincerely doubt Mr Marshall had the foresight to save any of it for that occurrence.

Cito Pelon
07-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Just think of the great times he had with that money.

When the sheriff gets called to one's abode as many times as BM has, then obviously one has had a great time. If loud and obnoxious can be considered a great time.

HEAV
07-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I belive it, Marshall is an idiot with zero common sense. I bet he blew cash on cars,clothes,chains,homes,women,drinks,vacations,e ngagment ring.

Years ago my buddie was a loan manager in Cincy and a car dealership had sent in a loan request for Dante Culpepper. My buddy had to reject it due to Culpepper having horrid credit!

So I'd bet that Marshall is broke or near it and really needs the cash asap.

bronco_boi_5280
07-04-2009, 05:04 PM

That was Patrick Ewing, for the record.

Oh man you just KNOW he wants a mulligan on that one. Classic dumb quote.

azbroncfan
07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I would be more surprised if he wasn't broke.

HorseHead
07-06-2009, 09:33 AM
at least he can still afford McDonald's...on second thought..make it BK..

Bob
07-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I love the way he plays on the field, he plays on teh edge, but seems to live his life in the same way. Sadly I think he is a train wreck waiting to happen...after he is done with football, I wish him well, but would be surprised if he does not get into trouble of some sort...

Meck77
07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Maybe Broncobuff will start a donation drive for poor ole BM.

DBroncos4life
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Best way I know how to prove one is broke is not go to work and get fined money that you should be earning.

rastaman
07-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I love the way he plays on the field, he plays on teh edge, but seems to live his life in the same way. Sadly I think he is a train wreck waiting to happen...after he is done with football, I wish him well, but would be surprised if he does not get into trouble of some sort...

I'm troubled by the reckless high risk to injury way Brandon plays, he's got to learn how to play smarter to cut down on the wear tear his mode of play will incrementally cause.

rastaman
07-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Best way I know how to prove one is broke is not go to work and get fined money that you should be earning.

Yep these players have got to realize that due to taxes, they only take home half the money that is advertise they are making. Uncle Same takes 50% off the top.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe Broncobuff will start a donation drive for poor ole BM.

It's the prudent thing to do.