PDA

View Full Version : Have you been at Field Level during a game

elsid13
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
I am just wonder how many folks have actually been at field level during either NFL or major DIV-I football game.

I was having discussion with some of my co-workers yesterday, and I was explaining that I didn't think people understood how hard it was for QB/RB/WR to actually see the open passing lane or cut back lane. Since most people have the ability to see the whole field they underestimate how hard it is to make the right read or move.

If you have been at the field level could you explain what it was like vs watching from the stands/TV.

watermock
07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Row 8 20 yard line.

Everbody looks open.

bronco militia
07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Row 8 20 yard line.

Everbody looks open.

no ****!Ha!

bombay
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
At Mile High anyone could walk to field level and walk completely around the field, although you couldn't walk past the south end of the field through the south stands, had to turn around. Done that.

sisterhellfyre
07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I am just wonder how many folks have actually been at field level during either NFL or major DIV-I football game.

My field level opportunity was in the late 90s down in San Diego. I found that on that level, the field was MUCH smaller than it looks on TV. The players are also much larger in comparison to the field, so the game quickly starts to look like human pinball on grass. The plays also move much faster, with more general chaos, than it looks like on TV when the cameras focus on one or two players and what's going on in their immediate surroundings. It was much more of a surprise, for instance, when all of a sudden Eddie Mac or Rod Smith was running free down the sidelines after they broke lose from the cluster**** in the middle of the field.

It was also kind of a revelation to see just how big John Elway was, compared to the normal-sized game officials. I could also see in person how many of John's short and mid-range passes were actually thrown *downward* from his point of release -- and with roughly the speed of bullets, at that. I'd swear I heard a couple of those balls whistling in flight.

For all of that, nothing beat watching John back up and spin out of the grasp of a Charger d-lineman who broke through on the pass rush. This guy literally had his arms open around John's knees, about to wrap him up for the sack. John escaped to throw the touchdown pass (to Eddie Mac), and left the d-lineman face-down and pounding the ground with his fists.

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I've been on field level during games dozens of times ... Mile High, Folsom Field (zero room on that sidelines), the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. Almost got leveled by Raymond Claiborne after he shoved Steve Watson out of bounds and lost his balance. He grabbed my arm as he slipped and stopped, and then just turned and ran back on the field.

Biggest difference is the speed. It's almost impossible to put into words how freaking fast those guys move. The distance and height of stadium seats, and TV itself really "dumb down" the speed.

Tombstone RJ
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I've been on field level during games dozens of times ... Mile High, Folsom Field (zero room on that sidelines), the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. Almost got leveled by Raymond Claiborne after he shoved Steve Watson out of bounds and lost his balance. He grabbed my arm as he slipped and stopped, and then just turned and ran back on the field.

Biggest difference is the speed. It's almost impossible to put into words how freaking fast those guys move. The distance and height of stadium seats, and TV itself really "dumb down" the speed.

You need to go back into TV and be the sports anchor for a Denver station. Or, do it for a Colorado Springs station (all the local tv people suck). I have no idea how much a gig like that pays, but the perks can't be bad.

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
You need to go back into TV and be the sports anchor for a Denver station. Or, do it for a Colorado Springs station (all the local tv people suck). I have no idea how much a gig like that pays, but the perks can't be bad.

Yeah, kind of ... but it's changed now. Just a couple years ago the league eliminated most of the sidelines passes for media. If you look close at the sidelines during telecasts now, and look close at sidelines a few years ago, there's less than half the number of people there.

TailgateNut
07-03-2009, 06:13 PM
3rd row sec 110 for a few months
The view sucked. Cheerleaders always got in the way.

frerottenextelway
07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Was in the second row for our opening game at Miami in 2005 when we got absolutely crushed.

halfcreek
07-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Sat on the Broncos bench at the Polo Grounds.

Hogan11
07-03-2009, 06:55 PM
We always try to get as close as we can

maher_tyler
07-03-2009, 07:25 PM

I said no, thinking stricktly Broncos games but i sat field level at a Saints and Panthers game back in 03', the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl..and your right, they're much fast than they seem on TV..Stephen Davis looked like Deion out there!!

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I said no, thinking stricktly Broncos games but i sat field level at a Saints and Panthers game back in 03', the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl..and your right, they're much fast than they seem on TV..Stephen Davis looked like Deion out there!!
LOL

Well, it's like anything else ... your horizontal field of vision gets wider and wider the closer you are to the object you're watching. For example, ever sit in the front row of a movie theater? Your head actually swivels as you look back and forth to see what's happening.

I saw Gerald Willhite go past me once in 1985 and I swear he had world class speed, I mean Carl Lewis speed ... but then when I watched the exact same play on TV, on my VCR that night, he looked like he was going a very average speed.

Another thing ... they do NOT go full speed at practices, not at all.

oubronco
07-03-2009, 08:36 PM

and your bitchin

Los Broncos
07-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Before the game yes, during the game no.

I hope to be closer this year.

SureShot
07-04-2009, 01:34 AM
First row Mile High and Invesco and all access Folsom Field many times.

Hulamau
07-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Was a water and ball boy for the Houston Oilers from 1963 through 66. Not only did I watch games from the sidelines, but was half the height of every one else... Living in a world of giants.

And yes, Don Trull really was hairless except on his head :-)

Hulamau
07-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Was in the second row for our opening game at Miami in 2005 when we got absolutely crushed.

That game sucked

BroncoDoug
07-04-2009, 02:55 AM

sounds like it was pretty good to me...

Mediator12
07-04-2009, 08:39 AM
It's harder to see on game day, but go to TC and get behind them when they are running 7 on 7's or goaline drills and you can really see the action and lanes. There are no good fields of vision from the sidelines on game day, but it is a different experience.

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 11:00 AM
My favorite place to sit is front row of the first deck, 50 yard line.

kupesdad
07-04-2009, 11:26 AM
The player's families sit in row 3-6 on the 10 yard line to the end zone Section 100-110. Not a bad seat lots of fun especially sitting next to DJ Williams mom and family. I thought she was a player's wife and she kept apologizing for her mouth..like my virgin ears had never heard those words.

On the way home Chris told me a story about her. DJ went to De La Salle High School in Ca.De La Salle is one the the premier high school programs in the nation. In order to be on special teams you have to get the coaches attention so DJ had his mom dress in football pads and his sister video tape. He kicked off the football to his mom and ran downfield, when she caught the ball he blasted her full speed. He turned the tape into the ST Coach and he had to let him on the kickoff team. Classic!

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 11:33 AM
The player's families sit in row 3-6 on the 10 yard line to the end zone Section 100-110. Not a bad seat lots of fun especially sitting next to DJ Williams mom and family. I thought she was a player's wife and she kept apologizing for her mouth..like my virgin ears had never heard those words.

On the way home Chris told me a story about her. DJ went to De La Salle High School in Ca.De La Salle is one the the premier high school programs in the nation. In order to be on special teams you have to get the coaches attention so DJ had his mom dress in football pads and his sister video tape. He kicked off the football to his mom and ran downfield, when she caught the ball he blasted her full speed. He turned the tape into the ST Coach and he had to let him on the kickoff team. Classic!

hahah ive heard that somewhere, was that in a newspaper a few years ago or something?

kupesdad
07-04-2009, 11:35 AM
hahah ive heard that somewhere, was that in a newspaper a few years ago or something?

Chris told me,,I'm sure he heard it in the locker room...I believe it because she is crazy...A blast to sit with because she's all over the place. Very nice looking too.

AlphaOmega
07-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I've had the pleasure of being on the field a few times!
Folsom, Invesco, Mile High, Texas Stadium and Fawcett Stadium to name a few. ;D

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Chris told me,,I'm sure he heard it in the locker room...I believe it because she is crazy...A blast to sit with because she's all over the place. Very nice looking too.

thats funny. ive only been to invesco once, is that a big section of family for both teams? or just the broncos families?

remember last year they showed hillis' family all in their jerseys in the chiefs game, i thought they were in normal seats.

kupesdad
07-04-2009, 12:03 PM
thats funny. ive only been to invesco once, is that a big section of family for both teams? or just the broncos families?

remember last year they showed hillis' family all in their jerseys in the chiefs game, i thought they were in normal seats.

The other teams don't typically sit there unless they have an in. That's the same with us...I went to Houston last year or the year before and had to sit in the nosebleeds..

Sometimes VIP's sit there also..Last year I sat with one of the guys from "Friday Night Lights" the television series. It wwas the QB that is in a wheelchair..He's a big Broncos fan because he is from Nebraska

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 12:07 PM
The other teams don't typically sit there unless they have an in. That's the same with us...I went to Houston last year or the year before and had to sit in the nosebleeds..

haha, you were probably like THATS MY SON!! and no one believed you up there.

kupesdad
07-04-2009, 12:09 PM
haha, you were probably like THATS MY SON!! and no one believed you up there.

I couldn't see him...it's way the **** up there

BroncoBuff
07-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I couldn't see him...it's way the **** up there

Mr. K, how about talking up the OrangeMane to other team family members? Betcha a lot of them would enjoy this place, I know we like having you here.

tsiguy96
07-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Mr. K, how about talking up the OrangeMane to other team family members? Betcha a lot of them would enjoy this place, I know we like having you here.

absolutely. broncobuff finally has a good idea!

how did you find this place anyway, kupesdad?

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 10:15 AM
what you think kupesdad?

kupesdad
07-05-2009, 10:42 AM
what you think kupesdad?

I know for a fact that Ben Hamilton's dad lurks around here but I cannot divulge his screen name.

I think I found this place when I met Kaylore at training camp in 07.

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
thats cool, its nice getting opinions from people close to the team. waht kind of offseason conditioning/strength training does chris do? any olympic work or kettlebell work? (im going into strength and conditioning its always interesting for me to hear about how different players go into the offseason)

kupesdad
07-05-2009, 10:59 AM
thats cool, its nice getting opinions from people close to the team. waht kind of offseason conditioning/strength training does chris do? any olympic work or kettlebell work? (im going into strength and conditioning its always interesting for me to hear about how different players go into the offseason)

Primarily core work.. the team has pretty specific things they want their guys to work on. Typically the 1st part of the offseason is healing up from what I know. He's in alaska and we are just enjoying having all the boys home. But he is definitely getting ready for the season...he had his little brother puking after their workout..my youngest is getting ready for his junior year in high school

elsid13
07-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Do you really want to subject them to this??? Why don't we just send Hotrod to spend a weekend with then after with loading him up beef jerky and chili.

tsiguy96
07-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Primarily core work.. the team has pretty specific things they want their guys to work on. Typically the 1st part of the offseason is healing up from what I know. He's in alaska and we are just enjoying having all the boys home. But he is definitely getting ready for the season...he had his little brother puking after their workout..my youngest is getting ready for his junior year in high school

thats cool, im definitely going to be applying for NFL internships (i have to do an internship in the spring), just have to get around filling out the teamworkonline application, its f-ing long.

what position/s does your youngest play, or project to in college?

kupesdad
07-05-2009, 12:44 PM
thats cool, im definitely going to be applying for NFL internships (i have to do an internship in the spring), just have to get around filling out the teamworkonline application, its f-ing long.

what position/s does your youngest play, or project to in college?

He is a wr/safety/cb he's about 6'2" but pretty skinny. He's working on getting some weight on him.

JPEZ
07-05-2009, 07:36 PM

Show off :yep: :kiss:

enjolras
07-05-2009, 07:49 PM
My favorite seats are 1st row/south stands. I've sat there a few times, and I am always struck by how small the passing lanes really are. You really get an appreciation for the art that is pass blocking.

AlphaOmega
07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Show off :yep: :kiss:

:-* Do I know you?

Hotrod
07-06-2009, 11:25 AM

:pimp:

azbroncfan
07-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been on 50 yd line about 5 rows up for a Charger/Dolphin game that was moved to sun devil stadium for fires a few years ago. It is cool being that close but it is hard to see much of the running plays because once the RB goes into the LOS you lose track of them. I personally like the top row of lower bowl or first row of upper deck for NFL games so you can see what WR's are open and you can see the holes in the running games.

BroncoBuff
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I personally like the top row of lower bowl or first row of upper deck for NFL games so you can see what WR's are open and you can see the holes in the running games.

That's the perfect seat ... first row, first deck, 50 yard-line, binoculars at the ready :thumbs:

Peoples Champ
07-06-2009, 02:15 PM
At Mile High anyone could walk to field level and walk completely around the field, although you couldn't walk past the south end of the field through the south stands, had to turn around. Done that.

Thats all i have done as well.

Meck77
07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I was on the field of SB 32 for about a quarter and a half. Even talked to TD when he was sidelined with the migraine. One of the best days of my life.