PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite CFL team?

Sacked by Croel
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Denver is your favorite NFL team. Who do you like north of the boundary?

Doggcow
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I voted roughriders because they have the coolest name.

maher_tyler
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Calgary...lived in Lethbridge and then Airdrie for a little while..don't fallow them at all but...if i had to choose it'd be them!!

Sacked by Croel
07-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I voted Winnipeg because I like former Oklahoma State star Adarius Bowman.

Mr Chatterboodamn
07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Wasn't there another team named the Roughriders in the CFL?

Hogan11
07-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Ottawa..they folded in 1996.

Alouettes de Montreal!!

Seriously, I like it more than the Arena League (much more in fact) but it's still too frickin' weird to be a satisfying subsitute in the offseason IMHO.

DomCasual
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM

That's the one I would have said. It was the Ottawa Roughriders - they folded in the 90's. They were like the Steelers of the CFL in the 70's.

How awesome is that, though? There are, what, eight teams in the league, and two of them have the same name?

Crazy Canadians.

KipCorrington25
07-02-2009, 10:31 PM
I think Eskimos is the coolest name, also they are further north and plat outdoors, they aren't pussys like those Minnesota people.

philiptr2
07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I voted Winnipeg because I like former Oklahoma State star Adarius Bowman.

Are you sure its not cause Lenny Walls plays for the Blue Bombers?

Killericon
07-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Go Stamps Go!

Sacked by Croel
07-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Are you sure its not cause Lenny Walls plays for the Blue Bombers?

Lenny Walls is one of my favorites, too. He was a Yay Area prep star from the City. He used to get lit, RBL Posse style. He don't want your rolled up wood!!!

I remember when Jimmy Spencer said one training camp he hadn't seen that kind of cornerback play since Deion.

Sacked by Croel
07-03-2009, 12:56 AM
That's the one I would have said. It was the Ottawa Roughriders - they folded in the 90's. They were like the Steelers of the CFL in the 70's.

How awesome is that, though? There are, what, eight teams in the league, and two of them have the same name?

Crazy Canadians.

It kind of reminds me of the LSU/Auburn Tigers and Georgia/Mississippi St. Bulldogs in the SEC.

Crazy Dixie folk.

uk bronco
07-03-2009, 05:03 AM
voted tiger cats cos an ex bought me one of their shirts plus i play/coach a team called the tigers

gyldenlove
07-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Riders, because of UWO alum Andy Fantus.

DomCasual
07-03-2009, 08:54 AM
It kind of reminds me of the LSU/Auburn Tigers and Georgia/Mississippi St. Bulldogs in the SEC.

Crazy Dixie folk.

Well, there's a really, really big difference.

But other than that, good one.

Hogan11
07-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Crazy Canadians.

If you wanna get real technical...there was a bit of a difference.

It was the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders..they went through great pains to be sure people knew the difference as well, believe it or don't.

FWIW, Ottawa is scheduled for an expansion franchise in 2010.....I know a lot of people would hate this idea, but I'm frankly surprised that the NFL hasn't absorbed the CFL yet. There certainly aren't any currency exchange issues anymore and it would satisfy Goodell's whole "international" thing.

cdabroncofan
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Hamilton (SteelCity)
My hometown a great place to watch a football game. Lots of middle class hard working families.
TIGERS EATEM RAW

DomCasual
07-03-2009, 10:50 AM
If you wanna get real technical...there was a bit of a difference.

It was the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders..they went through great pains to be sure people knew the difference as well, believe it or don't.

FWIW, Ottawa is scheduled for an expansion franchise in 2010.....I know a lot of people would hate this idea, but I'm frankly surprised that the NFL hasn't absorbed the CFL yet. There certainly aren't any currency exchange issues anymore and it would satisfy Goodell's whole "international" thing.

Honestly, I don't disagree with you, to an extent. I think there are a couple Canadian markets the NFL should be in, period. Where I disagree is expansion. I just don't see how you do it, at this point. And I definitely don't see how you do it without putting LA at the top of the list. (I know. I know. LA sucks as a sports market. Except that it doesn't - not in terms the NFL needs.)

You could always move a team or teams. Buffalo makes a lot of sense, from a television standpoint. But how to you screw a bunch of fans that do nothing other than buy tickets - usually, all of them. Kansas City is another option - just because.

I love poking good-natured fun at our friends to the north, though. Let's face it. Canada is, by most respects, a great place to live. But by gosh, those people get defensive. I lived with a guy when I did the Mormon mission thing (down by the NY/PA border) that was from Vancouver. If he thought you were even thinking, in the deep recesses of your mind, in a negative way about Canada, he would get crazy. Of course, he'd bring it on with stuff like, "Have you ever thought about how really stupid the concept of the US flag is?"

He would just let those rip - unprovoked, and at random. How do you not respond to that? I actually ended up kind of hating him, after three months of 24/7 interaction with him.

I had a few roommates at college that were Canadian that were pretty good guys. Still crazy sensitive, but good guys.

cdabroncofan
07-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Well you guys have good points about expansion in Canada but the reason l'm always hearing up here is that the major sponsor of the NFL is budweiser and they have different ownership in Canada than they do in the U.S, so that wouldn't benefit they major sponsor. And besides l don't think the NFL could get anymore popular in Canada than it already is. If it wasn't for Canadians Buffalo wouldn't even have a team, l hear almost 80% of there fanbase is in Canada.

Jason in LA
07-03-2009, 12:52 PM

I voted the Argonauts because that is the only team that I have heard of from that list, but now I kind of want to change my vote. Roughriders is a cool name. ;D

bronco_boi_5280
07-03-2009, 12:53 PM

I voted Argo's for the exact same reason.

cdabroncofan
07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
l guess the only reason you guys know the argos is because they go get all the dope heads that get busted in the NFL.

Hogan11
07-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Honestly, I don't disagree with you, to an extent. I think there are a couple Canadian markets the NFL should be in, period. Where I disagree is expansion. I just don't see how you do it, at this point. And I definitely don't see how you do it without putting LA at the top of the list. (I know. I know. LA sucks as a sports market. Except that it doesn't - not in terms the NFL needs.)

Honestly, probably only Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are viable NFL cities....I'm not 100% sure about that though

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 01:57 PM
What is this thing you call CFL?

Hogan11
07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
What is this thing you call CFL?

Professional football....sort of. At least it's played on a full field and isn't as big of a joke as the AFL is.

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Professional football....sort of. At least it's played on a full field and isn't as big of a joke as the AFL is.

What is this thing you call AFL, eh?

Hogan11
07-03-2009, 02:05 PM
What is this thing you call AFL?

Fooseball.......It's basically unwatchable

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah, Arena.

Does Lenny Walls really play in Canada?

I'm still ticked at him for blowing that shutout against the chefs on MNF. Wouldda been the only shutout in Dick Vermeil's coaching career, but NO. Lenny had to tackle with his arms.

maher_tyler
07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, Arena.

Does Lenny Walls really play in Canada?

I'm still ticked at him for blowing that shutout against the chefs on MNF. Wouldda been the only shutout in Dick Vermeil's coaching career, but NO. Lenny had to tackle with his arms.

That ****ing little bitch!

Sacked by Croel
07-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Lenny Walls' Official Theme Song...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhRJnuCrAoM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhRJnuCrAoM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chadta
07-03-2009, 07:07 PM
wilie middlebrooks played for the argos last year

chadta
07-03-2009, 07:12 PM
and lets not bash the cfl too much, up until the 80s when the nfl got the big money tv contract the cfl actually competed for talent.

each team can score twice in the last 2 minutes, never mind this 3 kneel down ****, how many nfl quarterbacks have passed for 700 yards in a game ?

now its kinda minor league as all we get are scrubs that arent good enough to play in the nfl, but back in the day it was really good.

cdabroncofan
07-04-2009, 05:56 AM
and lets not bash the cfl too much, up until the 80s when the nfl got the big money tv contract the cfl actually competed for talent.

each team can score twice in the last 2 minutes, never mind this 3 kneel down ****, how many nfl quarterbacks have passed for 700 yards in a game ?

now its kinda minor league as all we get are scrubs that arent good enough to play in the nfl, but back in the day it was really good.

Well said Thank you very much

Hogan11
07-04-2009, 06:40 AM

I remember when Terry Metcalf's decision to leave St. Louis for Cowtown set the football world on it's ear.