PDA

View Full Version : Official: 2009 DENVER BRONCOS EAT CROW THREAD

PaintballCLE
07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
With the schedule we have I dont think anyone is thinking we will be 14-2, but since there is a big debate here on the mane of
We will suck vs. McDaniels is a Genius
I figured we could all officially take sides now and at the end of the season we can see who was right.

frerottenextelway
07-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Picking on a game by game basis, I see 4 wins. With the amount of variance in football, my prediction is 5-6.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
3-13 sounds about right.

BroncoMan4ever
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
3-13 sounds about right.

man, you must have some brass balls to have that kind of optimism for your Chiefs.

but on the basis of this pole, i am not thinking the guy is a retard and we are doomed, and i don't think he is a genius. i am of the thinking this team will be 2 wins better just because of the addition of a running game, dumping dead wood on the defense and coaching staff. 10-6

Doggcow
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I approve of this thread. Anyone who doesn't vote is a pussy.

tsiguy96
07-01-2009, 08:25 PM
so in other words, you want us to pick how good of a coach he will be without even seeing a training camp, much less a game first?

i like the direction of the team but im not gonna call him a genius and say we are set for life.

OBF1
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I always back the colors. Go Broncos

Dexter
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
9-7

GoHAM
07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I think eventually McDanielson will polish this turd into a winner but I'll be euphoric if we win 8 next season.

lazarus4444
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
11-5, book it.

extralife
07-01-2009, 10:21 PM
6-10

actually, **** that. this team is too weird and combustible to finish with something so mundane. it'll either be 3-13 or 10-6

BMarsh615
07-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Let me see at least one preseason game will ya.

Jason in LA
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I think this team is going to suck really bad, but I hope they can make me eat those words. I don't think they'll do it, but if they do, I'll be happy to eat that crow.

DBroncos4life
07-01-2009, 10:28 PM
If we don't win more then 8 games its a failure. That doesn't mean McD is a failure it just means the season was. I don't think McD is dumb I think he is a very good X's and O's guy I just don't approve of the WHOLE front office and the moves we have made this offseason. So given my two choices I don't see us meeting that 8 win goal without BM. Till he comes out and says he is going to play for us and I see him on the field on Sunday's I have to think this year will be hard.

Jason in LA
07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Let me see at least one preseason game will ya.

I never put much stock in preseason. This team is going to come out really hard and try to win those preseason games just to shut everybody up. They'll probably be trying harder than their opponents to win those games. So I wouldn't get excited over that at all.

richpjr
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
The reality will be somewhere between the two extremes listed, but more towards the sucky side.

BMarsh615
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I never put much stock in preseason. This team is going to come out really hard and try to win those preseason games just to shut everybody up. They'll probably be trying harder than their opponents to win those games. So I wouldn't get excited over that at all.

I am really curious to see what our offense and defense will look like. We have ran the same thing for 14 years, I am excited to see how different McDaniels does things.

Los Broncos
07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm going with 6 wins, if we win more I'll be here.

SouthStndJunkie
07-01-2009, 10:58 PM
5-11 record.

McDaniels may be a good offensive mind, but Uday Hussein had better people skills than McDaniels does.

Doggcow
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Whats the qualifications btw? 8-8 = everyone kisses and makes up?

BroncoDoug
07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm not going to Call McD a Genius just yet, but I don't think this team is going to be all doom and gloom like a lot of people think...

We also might be a better TEAM, but have a worse record then last year. This schedule is brutal.

Taco John
07-01-2009, 11:30 PM
I don't know that he's an idiot. I don't know that he's a genius. I do know that he's inexperienced, but has a decent track record as an offensive coordinator. I think we're more likely to fail than succeed with him given the cards that are currently being held, but I want to at least see the flop before deciding whether or not to fold on the guy.

Taco John
07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Also, for whatever anyone wants to say about our schedule, I'll say this:

Missing the playoffs = FAILURE

I'm certain that Josh would tell you the same.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
McDaniels may be a good offensive mind, but Uday Hussein had better people skills than McDaniels does.

Haha. Sig line worthy.

UberBroncoMan
07-02-2009, 12:19 AM
I hate both poll options, but I'll go with the McDaniels is an IDIOT one simply because with our schedule, turnaround, and the uncertainty of our offense... I can't see us getting more than 6 wins.

... which in turn urks me due to the fact we gave up next years #1... hopefully Smith proves me wrong and we turn into a miracle team that makes the playoffs.

Blueflame
07-02-2009, 12:29 AM
JMHO...but this thread seems highly premature... the time to start trying to serve up the crow is after the season ends; not before training camp even starts...

Baba Booey
07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
5-11 record.

Alright, I lol'd.

worm
07-02-2009, 02:34 AM
so in other words, you want us to pick how good of a coach he will be without even seeing a training camp, much less a game first?

Have you ever had a cd stick on the most mind numbing, dumbass lyric...in the worst song imaginable?

BroncoInSkinland
07-02-2009, 03:53 AM
I went with

<INPUT id=rb_optionnumber_1 type=radio CHECKED value=1 name=optionnumber>McDaniels is an IDIOT. Look out Lions, here we come. WE SUCK

for the bolded part only. I don't think McDaniels is an idiot, just inexperienced and not a people person as has already been mentioned. I also don't think we will suck, I actually think in many areas the team will be improved (running game, defensive backfield, special teams, team attitude on the whole). The loss of Cutler, lack of experienced personel on the d-line, adjusting to new schemes on both sides of the ball, and a very difficult schedule lead me to believe we will have a very rough year in the W-L column though. While I believe this move may work out best for the team in the long run, I am not intellectual dishonest enough to try and use a few statistics to argue that a 5-11 or worse season is an "improvement". Here's to hoping I get to eat some crow, the alternative is much worse.

Traveler
07-02-2009, 05:51 AM
I won't say McDaniels is a genius, but I'm willing to say the mediocrity of the last 8-10 years will soon be gone. A better team is in the offiing in 2010 and beyond.

DarkHorse30
07-02-2009, 06:11 AM
I won't say McDaniels is a genius, but I'm willing to say the mediocrity of the last 8-10 years will soon be gone. A better team is in the offiing in 2010 and beyond.

Bingo. He may be smarter than the average Shanahan, but that doesn't really rate "genius" in my book.

oubronco
07-02-2009, 06:50 AM
this season is going to be hard to watch IMO but so was the last few years, it's going to take a few seasons to get the right players in place and I would be glad to eat crow but don't see it happening with the QB's we have and all the changes

Ramathorn
07-02-2009, 07:04 AM
I always back the colors. Go Broncos

I have and always will be a broncos fan. Been one for 22 years. I havent really complained too much over that time span but something just isnt right with this doucebag mcdaniels. I hate the cutler move and the way it was handled, and the bmarsh thing is making me sick. I think with the talent we have, no matter the coach, we are still going to win enough games so that we are not a complete laughing stock and it will probably enable douche to keep his job ( which IMO sucks). I put us somewhere in the 6-9 win bracket.

cmhargrove
07-02-2009, 07:15 AM
The schedule does indeed look brutal, but the whole "Patriot Way" is about preparation.

My biggest concern right now isn't the D-line - I think they will perform better than last year. I know this sounds funny, but I want some clear starters at OLB and I will feel better. I'm sure there won't be an accurate picture of this until training camp.

At SOLB - do we have someone gifted enough to shut down the run, put pressure on the QB, and disrupt the short passing game? Right now we have a journeyman DT/DE (Reid), a rookie with potential (Ayers), and maybe Tim Crowder? They all have potential, but this is an incredibly important spot in the defense.

At WOLB - I sincerely want Elvis to be the guy, but can he? From interviews he looks like he is in sensational shape, but has he learned to backpedal? I know that Elvis has a nonstop motor and I think he can learn on the job. He definitely has the potential to be a 15 sack WOLB, but will he?

If those two positions get adequately resolved, I think we go 9-7, and our fate rests on beating the Chargers. I'll put a low end on the deal and say we are no worse than 6-10. If Knowshon is a stud, and the O-line stays healthy, and Orton becomes the next Matt Cassell - we could be as good as 11-5 in a dream scenario.

broncofan2438
07-02-2009, 07:28 AM
I think this team is going to suck really bad, but I hope they can make me eat those words. I don't think they'll do it, but if they do, I'll be happy to eat that crow.

Cmon Jason

kamakazi_kal
07-02-2009, 08:12 AM

yeah .... this.....

I'm hoping but I don't live in reality most of the time .... 6 wins.

Orton facepalm is what I think we will see allot of unless our running game is stellar enough to protect our DLine that we never really addressed.

Crushaholic
07-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I voted for the "we'll be fine" portion of the second option. "Genius" is reserved for coaches who have won Super Bowls. Shanahan obviously fit into that category, but it was just his time to go. Let's see what Josh can do...

tsiguy96
07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
this poll is so stupid, before we even see training camp you want people to say mcdaniels is an idiot or a genius, we dont even get to look at how the team is doing. are you guys all ****ing stupid?

Popps
07-02-2009, 08:54 AM

Hilarious!

That's awesome.

Playoffs.

ROFL!

Shanahan leaves the worst defense in the league and a middle of the pack scoring offense and Taco demands playoffs or "failure."

Classic.

Guess those lofty standards didn't apply for the last decade, huh?

A couple of years back, Shanahan might have had this team on the verge with the right moves, but then made all the wrong moves. But, for anyone to expect playoffs with a rebuilding team and a brutal schedule is just plain silliness.

Popps
07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
To me, this team is doing all of the right things. Way too soon to call anyone a genius yet, of course. But, I'm happy with the direction and my money will be on this team improving on both sides of the ball next year.

Better defense.

More points on the board.

Let's start there, and then start talking about playoffs.

PaintballCLE
07-02-2009, 09:13 AM
this poll is so stupid, before we even see training camp you want people to say mcdaniels is an idiot or a genius, we dont even get to look at how the team is doing. are you guys all ****ing stupid?

those were added for sacrastic reasons.........obviously this poll is to see do you think mcdaniels is making all the right moves or wrong moves. Simple as that

DenverBrit
07-02-2009, 09:16 AM
After years of hearing "we are just a couple of players away from a SB run" the changes are inevitable and refreshing.
Trying to predict how the team will do before they've even put pads on for a single practice is...well..........premature.

Genius would be turning the team around in less time than it took the last 'genius' to run it into the ground. ;D

TonyR
07-02-2009, 09:31 AM

People keep saying this, but have any of you read this?

Ellis Hobbs Defends Belichick
Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 1, 2009 3:01 PM
Once a Patriot always a Patriot.

Despite being traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in April, former New England cornerback Ellis Hobbs remains a devoted student of the Patriot Way.

Especially toward the brooding guy wearing the hoodie on the sidelines: Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

During a recent interview with Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio, per Christopher L. Gasper of the Boston Globe, Hobbs went out of his way to stick up for Belichick and the Patriots. And he didn't display any signs of bitterness after being shipped out of town for two fifth-round draft picks.

When asked to clarify any incorrect perceptions about the Patriots, Hobbs didn't hesitate to play a little defense.

"That we're all a bunch of jerks, starting with the head man, Bill," Hobbs said. "Bill will be the first to tell you he comes off as a jerk, intentionally. Because, I think, what he tries to manifest throughout the players is that we're here for football. There's so much going on - the circus in the media and all that stuff, and the hoopla in the NFL these days - it's hard to keep the focus on the game.

"I think that's why they have everything so distinguished, set apart from everything, as far as the organization away from the players. Where there's only access for the players on the lower level, the players and the coaches. And I think by him doing that, it kind of sets the tone, and let's you know that we're here to play football and win games."

It's obviously the Patriots' company line, but Hobbs sounds sincere and loyal even after the end of his tenure in New England.

After acquiring Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs and drafting Darius Butler, the Patriots felt comfortable parting ways with Hobbs.

Hobbs intercepted three passes last season to tie his career-high, but was regularly beat on deep throws.

Plus, the Patriots surrendered 27 touchdown passes last season and allowed a dozen receptions 40 yards and higher.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/01/ellis-hobbs-defends-belichick/

TonyR
07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
That's awesome.

Playoffs.

Shanahan leaves the worst defense in the league and a middle of the pack scoring offense and Taco demands playoffs or "failure."

Classic.

I was thinking the same thing. When he goes on the record that Shanahan therefore failed for the last 3 years then I'll consider such comments without laughing out loud.

DBroncos4life
07-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Hilarious!

That's awesome.

Playoffs.

ROFL!

Classic.

A couple of years back, Shanahan might have had this team on the verge with the right moves, but then made all the wrong moves. But, for anyone to expect playoffs with a rebuilding team and a brutal schedule is just plain silliness.
McD is the god of scoring points. I've read it on this board many times so we should be in the top five this year just by hiring him.

Hogan11
07-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm not willing to either praise or denounce McDaniels.....yet.

I'll say 6 wins at best. Hopefully I'll be back for my serving of crow early on.

TheDave
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm guessing 6-10 maybe 7-9... does that make him a Genius or an Idiot?

BroncoBuff
07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm not voting, it's not a true poll, too big a gap in projected outcomes: It's either "we're the Lions and our coach is an idiot," or else "we'll be better than last year."

There's a 75% or greater likelihood the answer is in between. It's not a valid two-choice poll if it completely excludes a 75% likelihood outcome.

POLL HATH FAIL!

BroncoBuff
07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm guessing 6-10 maybe 7-9... does that make him a Genius or an Idiot?

Exactly.

TheReverend
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Subbing so I can be notified when bumped.

BroncoBuff
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM

LOL ... Uday Hussein reference ... nice!

It's so great to see people coming around on this.

TheDave
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM

I think trading our 1st next year changed a lot of peoples minds...

JMO, but I was willing to take a step back for a chance to move significantly forward. Then they traded the most talented QB I've seen in a VERY long time for Orton and some lotery tickets.

Then on draft day they sold off a top 10 lotto ticket for a nickle corner.

I think that was a final straw for a lot of people...

kamakazi_kal
07-02-2009, 12:03 PM

JMO, but I was willing to take a step back for a chance to move significantly forward. Then they traded the most talented QB I've seen in a VERY long time for Orton and some lotery tickets.

You just better stop making sense ........ it's annoying to hear the truth for allot of people in this forum.

TheReverend
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM

But Orton has a winning record in a team sport!

vancejohnson82
07-02-2009, 12:14 PM
oh man...its like you guys find one thread and just build off of each other's repetetive negative commentary

all of you should just have one user name...it would make things much easier

TheDave
07-02-2009, 12:17 PM
oh man...its like you guys find one thread and just build off of each other's repetetive negative commentary

Let me guess... you voted he's a Genius.

SureShot
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM

I could say the same thing for you and DigDug.

I already have an avatar for you.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/kool-aid-man.jpg

Broncomutt
07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
To me, this team is doing all of the right things. Way too soon to call anyone a genius yet, of course. But, I'm happy with the direction and my money will be on this team improving on both sides of the ball next year.

Better defense.

More points on the board.

Let's start there, and then start talking about playoffs.

QFT :thumbs:

vancejohnson82
07-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Let me guess... you voted he's a Genius.

I didnt vote at all....these polls are prejudiced towards whites

but seriously, the polls are ridiculous....we are going 8-8, the same we did last year

TheDave
07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I didnt vote at all....these polls are prejudiced towards whites

but seriously, the polls are ridiculous....we are going 8-8, the same we did last year

I hope you are right... IMO that will negate most of my worries with losing our 1st in 2010.

Now if we could just get Cutler back... ;D

vancejohnson82
07-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I hope you are right... IMO that will negate most of my worries with losing our 1st in 2010.

Now if we could just get Cutler back... ;D

I just really think we havent done much to get MUCH worse and we definitely havent done enough to get MUCH better....

we wont start out 6-2 or anything but we definitely won't lose 5 straight at any point either....

sucks because most seasons I go into thinking this team could make noise int he playoffs....but at least now there is a reason to get siked for Raider and Chiefs games....perhaps its for the best that the division games become of grave importance, something last years team didnt realize

Irish Stout
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I just really think we havent done much to get MUCH worse and we definitely havent done enough to get MUCH better....

Great point! At this point, I agree, we've taken two steps forward and two steps back... We're going to see a different team with different schemes than in the past, but will it be better? Probably not. Will it be worse? Probably not.

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2009, 01:09 PM

Coming around?

I have been pissed off since the Jay Cutler fiasco started.

I just don't feel like arguing about it all the time.

Bronx33
07-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Question is how many people are going to jump off the wagon if we do have a bad season.

TonyR
07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
...how many people are going to jump off the wagon...

Seems to me as if a lot already have...

BroncoBuff
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Great great post ... love the "Lottery Ticket" analogy.

But I dunno about "final straw," if you mean giving up on the team. I was close a few times, there've been some dark moments no doubt, but I can't see giving up. For me the optimism is returning, albeit slowly.

BroncoBuff
07-02-2009, 01:43 PM
And again Dave, great post ... but I don't see Alphonso as a nickel. There's lots of info and commentary about him out there, and I'm thinking that, while he'll start the season at nickel, he'll move into the starting lineup by mid-season.

Granted, we have the "short"-comings of short DBs lately ... D-Will against Reggie Wayne, Ferguson in the back of the end zone vs. the Steelers. But this guy by all accounts has special cover skills.

I'm bullish on Smith. Bearish on Goodman, but bullish on Smith :thumbs:

Bronx33
07-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Seems to me as if a lot already have...

yep but after a few wins they will pretend like it never happened.

TheDave
07-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Great great post ... love the "Lottery Ticket" analogy.

But I dunno about "final straw," if you mean giving up on the team. I was close a few times, there've been some dark moments no doubt, but I can't see giving up. For me the optimism is returning, albeit slowly.

and then they trade marshall... ;D

TheDave
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
And again Dave, great post ... but I don't see Alphonso as a nickel. There's lots of info and commentary about him out there, and I'm thinking that, while he'll start the season at nickel, he'll move into the starting lineup by mid-season.

Granted, we have the "short"-comings of short DBs lately ... D-Will against Reggie Wayne, Ferguson in the back of the end zone vs. the Steelers. But this guy by all accounts has special cover skills.

I'm bullish on Smith. Bearish on Goodman, but bullish on Smith :thumbs:

I think he can be more than a nickle next year and onward, but this year he is a nickle/dime back IMO.

BroncoBuff
07-02-2009, 01:50 PM
and then they trade marshall... ;D

That would definitely hurt, I'd prolly be relegated to, I dunno. Maybe ... living in a VAN, down by the RIVER!

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Question is how many people are going to jump off the wagon if we do have a bad season.

Jump off the wagon?

I am a Broncos fan....there is no wagon to jump on and off.

I simply don't agree with the way the offseason has gone at all.

I don't get the logic that if you disagree with what is happening to your team that it makes you less of a fan....or not a fan at all.

Just because I think the new coach is a douche and think the owner made the dumbest mistake of his tenure in trading Cutler, that does not mean I will not be rooting for them to win. I hope they go 12-4 and I have to eat crow every week. I hope McDaniels becomes the best coach in the NFL.

Again, it is flawed logic to think that you can't root for your team and still think that they are headed in the wrong direction.

I am sure almost all of us that are unhappy with the offseason will dance a jig if it all works out for the best. I don't think it will work out for the best....but I am hoping it does.

TheReverend
07-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I loves me some SouthStndJunkie. Even if he is a lazy stoner.