PDA

View Full Version : Jello = pig skin (yuck)

ZONA
07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Somebody told me the other day that Jello is actually made from cattle bones, cattle skin and pig skin. I was like, noway. Looked it up just now and OMG, that's pretty disgusting. Don't think I will be eating any Jello anytime soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Gelatin (from French gélatine) is a translucent, colourless, brittle, nearly tasteless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceuticals, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. Substances containing gelatin or functioning in a similar way are called gelatinous. Gelatin is an irreversibly hydrolyzed form of collagen. Gelatin is classified as a foodstuff, with E number E441. It is in some "gummy" candies as well as other products such as marshmallows and some low-fat yogurt. Some dietary customs forbid the use of gelatin from animal sources, and medical issues may limit or prevent its consumption by certain people.

Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the bones, connective tissues organs, and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, pigs, and horses. The natural molecular bonds between individual collagen strands are broken down into a form that rearranges more easily. Gelatin melts when heated and solidifies when cooled again. Together with water, it forms a semi-solid colloid gel. Gelatin forms a solution of high viscosity in water, which sets to a gel on cooling, and its chemical composition is, in many respects, closely similar to that of its parent collagen. [1] Gelatin solutions show viscoelastic flow and streaming birefringence. If gelatin is put into contact with cold water, some of the material dissolves. The solubility of the gelatin is determined by the method of manufacture. Typically, gelatin can be dispersed in a relatively concentrated acid. Such dispersions are stable for 10–15 days with little or no chemical changes and are suitable for coating purposes or for extrusion into a precipitating bath. Gelatin is also soluble in most polar solvents. Gelatin gels exist over only a small temperature range, the upper limit being the melting point of the gel, which depends on gelatin grade and concentration and the lower limit, the ice point at which ice crystallizes. The mechanical properties are very sensitive to temperature variations, previous thermal history of the gel, and time. The viscosity of the gelatin/water mixture increases with concentration and when kept cool (≈ 4 °C).

The worldwide production amount of gelatin is about 300,000 tons per year (roughly 600 million lbs.) [2]. On a commercial scale, gelatin is made from by-products of the meat and leather industry. Recently, fish by-products have also been considered because they eliminate most of the religious obstacles surrounding gelatin consumption [3].

Gelatin is derived mainly from pork skins, pork and cattle bones, or split cattle hides; contrary to popular belief, horns and hooves are not used.[4] The raw materials are prepared by different curing, acid, and alkali processes which are employed to extract the dried collagen hydrolysate. These processes [5] may take up to several weeks, and differences in such processes have great effects on the properties of the final gelatin products [6].

Gelatin can also be prepared at home. Boiling certain cartilaginous cuts of meat or bones will result in gelatin being dissolved into the water. Depending on the concentration, the resulting broth, when cooled, will naturally form a jelly or gel. This process, for instance, may be used for the pot-au-feu dish.

While there are many processes whereby collagen can be converted to gelatin, they all have several factors in common. The intermolecular and intramolecular bonds which stabilize insoluble collagen rendering it insoluble must be broken, and the hydrogen bonds which stabilize the collagen helix must also be broken [1]. The manufacturing processes of gelatin consists of three main stages:

1. Pretreatments to make the raw materials ready for the main extraction step and to remove impurities which may have negative effects on physicochemical properties of the final gelatin product,
2. The main extraction step, which is usually done with hot water or dilute acid solutions as a multistage extraction to hydrolyze collagen into gelatin, and finally,
3. The refining and recovering treatments including filtration, clarification, evaporation, sterilization, drying, rutting, grinding, and sifting to remove the water from the gelatin solution, to blend the gelatin extracted, and to obtain dried, blended and ground final gelatin.

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Did you hear Jesus died for your sins?

Ratboy
07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
You sound like a 13 year old girl who just found that out.

lazarus4444
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the real world?

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
BTW Michael Jackson died.

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 07:48 PM

Meat is Murder.

I wonder if Zona knows what they can do with Soybeans these days?

ZONA
07-01-2009, 07:48 PM

How learning something new means you are a 13 year old girl.......umm, no. I suppose you know everything and don't learn anything new ever. It's called one of those interesting facts alot of people don't realize. I mean, how often does one go look up the facts about Jello? For real, get a life.

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 07:50 PM
How learning something new means you are a 13 year old girl.......umm, no. I suppose you know everything and don't learn anything new ever. It's called one of those interesting facts alot of people don't realize. I mean, how often does one go look up the facts about Jello? For real, get a life.

Google where Leather comes from.

Rohirrim
07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I like lime jello with vanilla ice cream. Yums!

ZONA
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Go eat some Jello...........lol.

ZONA
07-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Go google what gay means, you might want to come out, it's probably going to be made legal that you can finally marry your man friend. Why don't you tell us what "12 inch softball" really means. Hahahahaha. I always wondered about you, and your love for the 12" softball. lol

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Go google what gay means, you might want to come out, it's probably going to be made legal that you can finally marry your man friend. Why don't you tell us what "12 inch softball" really means. Hahahahaha. I always wondered about you, and your love for the 12" softball. lol

I can't play anymore since the car accident. I guess I should take that off my profile.

At least I pitched, I only caught a couple times but didn't like it.

LOL

GoHAM
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

:D

snowspot66
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
So you don't want a side of jello with your Rocky Mountain Oysters?

lazarus4444
07-01-2009, 08:56 PM

people are just ribbing you man, nothing personal, seriously :afro:

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 09:16 PM
people are just ribbing you man, nothing personal, seriously :afro:

Just wait until ZONA finds out how baby's are made!

LOL

I can't stop myself Zona...just ask Kahn what I put him through with Kuper.

BroncoMan4ever
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
this may be a dumb thought. but has anyone seen a vegetarian/vegan/animal rights activist boycott Jello?

i need to find out about this, will a hard core PETA person eat some Jello.

Ratboy
07-01-2009, 09:32 PM

"Yuck"

Hilarious!

That comment is what makes you sound like a little girl.

ZONA
07-01-2009, 10:29 PM
"Yuck"

Hilarious!

That comment is what makes you sound like a little girl. Ahh, so what would not have sounded like a girl? Gross, ooohh, sick, disgusting? lol.

Actually Broncoman4ever, it was a vegan or whatever you call them, who told me about it when I was in the store. I was looking at what flavor of Jello to buy and she commented to me that "if you only knew". Of course she was super hot so I had to inquire and ask what she meant. If she was ugly, I would not have even said anything to her and probably still bought my Jello. Hahahaha, how beautiful people shape the world in so many ways..........LMAO.

Los Broncos
07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
No more jello shots from a set of nice boobs.

broncosteven
07-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Ahh, so what would not have sounded like a girl? Gross, ooohh, sick, disgusting? lol.

Actually Broncoman4ever, it was a vegan or whatever you call them, who told me about it when I was in the store. I was looking at what flavor of Jello to buy and she commented to me that "if you only knew". Of course she was super hot so I had to inquire and ask what she meant. If she was ugly, I would not have even said anything to her and probably still bought my Jello. Hahahaha, how beautiful people shape the world in so many ways..........LMAO.

Did you get his name and Number?

LOL

bronclvr
07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1156021.stm

Smiling Assassin27
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
There's always room for pig anus, er, jello...

broncosteven
07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
There's always room for pig anus, er, jello...

At our last Pizza party my Mom was talking about some food show where this dude eats gizzards and other weird things.

I told her we loved that show so we found a pizza place that would serve Testicles and Pig Anus.

You should have seen her face! I nearly pissed my pants.

Wes Mantooth
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM

It's more like learning that boys have a p3nis and girls have a v@gina much later than everyone else.

oubronco
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

broncosteven
07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Did you guys here that Michael may have had some work done on his face?

Gnomeflinger
07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
There was no landing on the moon. It was a government conspiracy.

BroncoBuff
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I always heard it was hooves.

Mmmmmm ... hooves.

http://homepage.mac.com/onehundredbhq/.Public/homer.jpg

. . . . . .Agghhh....

BroncoMan4ever
07-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Ahh, so what would not have sounded like a girl? Gross, ooohh, sick, disgusting? lol.

you're telling me. i once bought a Lakers hoodie, because this hot girl who worked in the store was talking to me while i was flipping through the different teams looking for a Nuggets hoodie. I passed through all the different teams and landed on a Lakers hoodie, and she looked at it and was saying how much she loved the Lakers and that she had tickets to go see the Lakers play the Nuggets, and her friend had to bail on her for the game so she had an extra ticket.

So being a guy and seeing a window of opportunity, I was lying and saying how much i loved the Lakers and Kobe and all that crap. So I bought the damn hoodie(also got a Nuggets one. Lied and said it was for a friend), got her number and her extra ticket to the game and hated every single moment of acting like i was cheering for the Lakers while wearing a yellow and purple Lakers hoodie.

I dated that girl for 3 months, and wore that damn hoodie all the time to keep up the lie. The second we broke up and she came by to get her **** out of my place, i tossed that hideous sweater in the box with the rest of her crap, and answered the door in the Nuggets hoodie i also bought that day.

Odysseus
07-05-2009, 11:31 AM

I agree with Zona but **** that was funny! :giggle:

I don't drink milk. www.milksucks.com.

Odysseus
07-05-2009, 11:34 AM
"Yuck"

Hilarious!

That comment is what makes you sound like a little girl.

Isn't this breaking one of the rules of MANLAW actually telling the guy the secret stupid thing he did publicly?

Odysseus
07-05-2009, 11:36 AM
this may be a dumb thought. but has anyone seen a vegetarian/vegan/animal rights activist boycott Jello?

i need to find out about this, will a hard core PETA person eat some Jello.

Anytime you take a CAPSULE that is comprised of gelatin. PETA folks have to take tablets or suffer!

Pseudofool
07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I heard there's something funny about hotdogs too.

Did you think gelatin was a plant or something?

Spider
07-05-2009, 11:45 AM
just wait until he learns Soap is made from animal fat ;D

Spider
07-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with Zona but **** that was funny! :giggle:

I don't drink milk. www.milksucks.com.
how times have changed , back in the day there was no beating the family farm ..... now you have corporate aka factory farms now doing all kinds of crap to the animals we eat .........

Spider
07-05-2009, 11:49 AM
;D i will give you guys something to google .........sweetbreads .......mix em with scrambled eggs ......good eatin

ZONA
07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I heard there's something funny about hotdogs too.

Did you think gelatin was a plant or something?

As I said before, I really never gave it any thought at all, where it came from. See, I wasn't born knowing everything, unlike some guys on this board (not saying you are one of them).................lol

I'm not gonna touch your hotdog story. Maybe you and broncosteven can get together and figure that one out, as he talks about his love for the 12" softball................hahahahaha. Sorry stevie, had to take another jab at ya mate.

All in good fun. Just passing time until life gets fun again, when the season starts.