PDA

View Full Version : I dispise Power rankings but I found this funny:

broncosteven
07-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Guess who is listed #32?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9735822/Positional-Power-Rankings:-QB-packages?gt1=39002

Well, Josh McDaniels, you'd better be right about Kyle Orton. Denver fans will not react well if Orton fails to lead Denver to the postseason, and especially if the Broncos' ex Jay Cutler gets to play deep into January. While Orton is 21-12 as an NFL starter and nearly pushed Chicago to the playoffs a year ago, he lacks the elite skillset of a Cutler. Some around Denver wonder if Orton will even beat out Chris Simms for the starting job. For reference, Simms' last starting experience came in 2006 in Tampa, where he went 0-3 with 1 TD and 7 INTs ... and somewhere, Broncos fans moan.

Looks like we need to get used to be listed at or or near the bottom of the polls at least until the 1st quarter of the season.

NFLBRONCO
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Guess who is listed #32?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9735822/Positional-Power-Rankings:-QB-packages?gt1=39002

Well, Josh McDaniels, you'd better be right about Kyle Orton. Denver fans will not react well if Orton fails to lead Denver to the postseason, and especially if the Broncos' ex Jay Cutler gets to play deep into January. While Orton is 21-12 as an NFL starter and nearly pushed Chicago to the playoffs a year ago, he lacks the elite skillset of a Cutler. Some around Denver wonder if Orton will even beat out Chris Simms for the starting job. For reference, Simms' last starting experience came in 2006 in Tampa, where he went 0-3 with 1 TD and 7 INTs ... and somewhere, Broncos fans moan.

Looks like we need to get used to be listed at or or near the bottom of the polls at least until the 1st quarter of the season.

Why do they always say this? Shanny couldn't get Broncos into playoffs with Cutler but, they say fans expect Denver to get in with Orton lol. Our D needs to get alot better before we reach postseason.

Kaylore
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
To be fair it's positional power rankings so this was our ranking based on QB, which is pretty harsh. Simms is a great backup and Orton is a serviceable starter. To say we have the worst QB's in the whole league is ridiculous.

If this was defensive line, on the other hand, then I would completely agree with it.

vancejohnson82
07-01-2009, 10:33 AM
no mention of the OLine...

or of our new defensive coordinator

or of our new running back(s)

they talk about Simms and Orton vs. Cutler

****ty journalism

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM

****ty journalism

See Kaylore's post (or read the full article). It's not a full-team power ranking. It's just a positional one.

Tombstone RJ
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM

****ty journalism

See post #3

vancejohnson82
07-01-2009, 10:38 AM
See post #3

Gotcha.....

Sorry, didnt have time to read the full thing....but when the original poster says we should get used to being listed at the bottom, i assume they are talking about the entire team

shouldnt the Jets be below us?????

umm, Sanchez who has never played int he NFL and Kellen Clemens

Popcorn Sutton
07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Interesting KC is at 15. Is Cassel really that good or did he get the keys to the offense that scored the most points in NFL history the season prior? Not to mention, NE had the lowest strength of schedule last year. I guess we'll see how good he is this year. I for one did not think Thigpen was all that bad and I don't see Cassel as a HUGE upgrade. I could be wrong but barring injury I don't see why Orton couldn't have lead NE to an 11-5 record last year.

80smith
07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Guess who is listed #32?

This confuses me? If Orton nearly got Chicago to the platyoffs why is he so bad?

BroncoMan4ever
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
This confuses me? If Orton nearly got Chicago to the platyoffs why is he so bad?

he isn't bad, he is underrated and overlooked because he doesn't have the cannon arm, or the inflated ego. he played in Chicago where offense isn't really looked at.

He is going to shock a lot of people this season. Message to Orton haters, "Don't be surprised if we end up signing him long term after the season."

Tom A Hawk
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Cutler playing into late January isn't going to happen and Orton taking the Donks to the playoffs isn't going to happen...32 ranking isn't correct.

NFLBRONCO
07-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I think Orton can be solid for us but, I still prefer a franchise calibur QB at the helm at some point in next few seasons. Or if we can at least field a strong D soon.

Tombstone RJ
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM

I think these rankings are taking the entire group of QBs on a team and then projecting their potential success. Not only do the Broncos just have 3 QBs on their roster, they also have one guy in Simms whose been out of the game for the better part of 3 years. It's not like the rankings say "Orton stinks" its saying that Orton is not "elite" talent. In other words, Orton has had his ups and his downs. So if you look at Orton, Simms and Brandstetter(sp?) as a package, an argument can be made that they are not the best group in the NFL.

Eh, ok fine.

Personally I think the same argument can be made for a team like Carolina. Delhomme (sp?) has had his ups and downs too and he is not real consistent. The only difference between Orton and Delhomme is the playing time/games started and the fact that HC Fox is still there so the system is stable.

80smith
07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I think these rankings are taking the entire group of QBs on a team and then projecting their potential success. Not only do the Broncos just have 3 QBs on their roster, they also have one guy in Simms whose been out of the game for the better part of 3 years. It's not like the rankings say "Orton stinks" its saying that Orton is not "elite" talent. In other words, Orton has had his ups and his downs. So if you look at Orton, Simms and Brandstetter(sp?) as a package, an argument can be made that they are not the best group in the NFL.

Eh, ok fine.

Personally I think the same argument can be made for a team like Carolina. Delhomme (sp?) has had his ups and downs too and he is not real consistent. The only difference between Orton and Delhomme is the playing time/games started and the fact that HC Fox is still there so the system is stable.

I see. Thanks.

Rabb
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
how odd that they left out Cutler's record in Denver

mr007
07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
To be fair it's positional power rankings so this was our ranking based on QB, which is pretty harsh. Simms is a great backup and Orton is a serviceable starter. To say we have the worst QB's in the whole league is ridiculous.

If this was defensive line, on the other hand, then I would completely agree with it.

Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of teams I'd place us above. I guess we could be around #29 or 28.

Kaylore
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Hmm, I don't see a whole lot of teams I'd place us above. I guess we could be around #29 or 28.

I don't think we're worse than teams like the Niners, though. Even if you take out supporting cast and look at the abilities of the QB's on their own I have trouble arguing that our guys are the worst set of QB's in all of football. Both guys have played in the postseason and both are young and relatively healthy. Brandstater is a scrub, so that's fine. I could see mid to late 20's, but dead last? This is just a case of the media echo chamber effect where they all just start piling on.

watermock
07-01-2009, 12:55 PM
It's not about Orton hate, it's about how much addition by subtraction has gone on.

Rgarding getting another franchise QB. Forget about it next year, that boat has left.

32 IMO is more about the turbulence this offseason. I mean, what's he diff between 25 and 32?

Northman
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Why do they always say this? Shanny couldn't get Broncos into playoffs with Cutler but, they say fans expect Denver to get in with Orton lol. Our D needs to get alot better before we reach postseason.

Just goes to show how clueless these writers are. With the defensive problems we had last year its going to be a work in progress before Denver is a playoff calibur team.

24champ
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Orton had a serviceable defense on his team. Cutler did not.

TonyR
07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
...what's he diff between 25 and 32?

But seriously, if our defense improves 7 positions I'll do cartwheels.

Bigdawg26
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Because Orton blows and he had a solid defense, special teams, and run game to help him!!! To be honest he could barely beat Grossman and Griese for the job( which he lost sometimes). I know Denver won't be a play-off team, but I don't think they are the worst team in the league. I would like to think the improved running game and defense (solid coaching) will at least win us a couple of games.<!-- / message -->

bowtown
07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Interesting KC is at 15. Is Cassel really that good or did he get the keys to the offense that scored the most points in NFL history the season prior? Not to mention, NE had the lowest strength of schedule last year. I guess we'll see how good he is this year. I for one did not think Thigpen was all that bad and I don't see Cassel as a HUGE upgrade. I could be wrong but barring injury I don't see why Orton couldn't have lead NE to an 11-5 record last year.

One of the only QBs I would like less than Orton is Cassel. He will be out of the league in three years... around the same time that T$ Bandstander is going to his first Pro Bowl.

snowspot66
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Orton had a serviceable defense on his team. Cutler did not.

It goes both ways.

For all the flash we had on offense we didn't produce much. The offense drastically underperformed after the first three games and the defense never performed. We complain about how the offense never got help from the defense but the defense didn't get much help from the offense.

dbfan21
07-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I just got back from a mission trip in Jamaica and met Ray Edwards, starting DE for the Minnesota Vikings, in the Montego Bay airport. I told him that I was a Broncos fan and he said "good luck with Orton". I asked him to clarify his comment and he went on to say that "fans should not expect Orton to make any passes longer than 20 yards" and said "his arm is pretty weak".

I proceeded to sucker punch him in his junk and call him a beeotch. That's a lie. Ha! I just told him don't be surprised if Orton does better with an offensive-minded coach directing things in Denver. He was very cool and took a picture with some people in our group.

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I just got back from a mission trip in Jamaica

Hey Mother Theresa, just because you're familiar with the missionary position doesn't make you a missionary.