PDA

View Full Version : Any firemen here? Have a quick question...

PaintballCLE
06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Stupid question.......

Thinking about hooking a 4 inch hose up to a standpipe connection in a parking garage (6 levels) to clean it before we paint it (don't ask)

we are obviously going to put the alarm in test mode.........but I have never used a 4 inch hose before (insert dirty joke here)

Is the pressure going to be too much for me and possibly one other person to handle?

Don't want a broken nose or to get flung off the top of the garage.

Broncoman13
06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Stupid question.......

Thinking about hooking a 4 inch hose up to a standpipe connection in a parking garage (6 levels) to clean it before we paint it (don't ask)

we are obviously going to put the alarm in test mode.........but I have never used a 4 inch hose before (insert dirty joke here)

Is the pressure going to be too much for me and possibly one other person to handle?

Men don't stop and ask for directions... just sayin

ant1999e
06-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't think there will be any water pressure in the standpipe. If I'm not mistaken, the FD hooks their pumper trucks to the standpipe connection outside to suppy it with water.

chrisp
07-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Stupid question.......

Just make sure your buddy has a camera-phone so then if it doesn't work out at least you'll become a youtube superstar...... :-)

BroncoInSkinland
07-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Not a fireman here, but check the water in the standpipe ahead of time. Stagnant water sitting in the line for the past few years/decades could mess up your plans of "cleaning" the garage...

PaintballCLE
07-01-2009, 06:32 AM
its a "wet" standpipe not dry so it does have water going to it at all times. And they do test it every month so the water should be ok.

and yes I will bring the camera phone.

theAPAOps5
07-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Do you have water rights or do you have to go through a water authority? I know you work for the college but for instance at DIA we have to coordinate with Denver Water. Sometimes they require you to meter the usage on pipes/hydrants that you don't have exclusive rights to.

Also I don't think the pipe will be pressurized to the level of having to worry. You will get a stready stream but I don't think it will be like you see in the movies!

Now if you were on a hose that was attached to a pumper truck I recommend having someone back you up for support. When I was at Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting school I had to back up a 60 year old dude with bad hips. He dropped a live hose and I barely was able to get it under control.

And jesus there is so many jokes in that last sentence!

OABB
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
I use a seven inch hose and haven't ever had any problems.