PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the next member inducted into the Broncos Ring of Fame?

montrose
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Keep in mind this list of players and coaches meets the 5-year eligibility rule. The following candidates are NOT YET eligible: Mike Shanahan, Rod Smith, Al Wilson, Jake Plummer, Tom Nalen, Matt Lepsis, Trevor Pryce, John Lynch and Jason Elam.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:13 PM
I really think Fletcher is the ONLY one in that group that should go in. Maybe Reeves too. The rest I love but don't belong, imo.

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
It is time to finally honor Rick Upchurch and give him a spot in the Ring of Fame.

Doggcow
06-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Josh McDaniels

crush17
06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Ed McCaffrey.

period.

montrose
06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
I really think Fletcher is the ONLY one in that group that should go in. Maybe Reeves too. The rest I love but don't belong, imo.

One of the issues is the precedent that has been set by the guys already in the ROF. With names like Tripucka, Johnson, Smith and Turner in the Ring (and yes I know what some of those guys meant to the franchise in their time), I find it hard to turn away players who had equally or more impressive careers for the Broncos.

My other issue is that of the 22 men in the group, they breakdown like so:

AFL era: 5
1977 AFC Title Team: 8
Super Bowl Championship Teams: 5
Other: 4

To me the late 90's, far and away the greatest stretch in the history of the franchise, should be the most represented. I also think that adding Reeves (and eventually Shanahan) helps legitimize the team's success pre-Shanahan, Shanahan-era and post-Shanahan.

Personally, I think Bob Swenson is possibly the most underrated Bronco of all-time and should be on the Ring with his fellow Orange Crushers but I'll agree that Fletcher is currently the most deserving to be added.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
One of the issues is the precedent that has been set by the guys already in the ROF. With names like Tripucka, Johnson, Smith and Turner in the Ring (and yes I know what some of those guys meant to the franchise in their time), I find it hard to turn away players who had equally or more impressive careers for the Broncos.

My other issue is that of the 22 men in the group, they breakdown like so:

AFL era: 5
1977 AFC Title Team: 8
Super Bowl Championship Teams: 5
Other: 4

To me the late 90's, far and away the greatest stretch in the history of the franchise, should be the most represented. I also think that adding Reeves (and eventually Shanahan) helps legitimize the team's success pre-Shanahan, Shanahan-era and post-Shanahan.

Personally, I think Bob Swenson is possibly the most underrated Bronco of all-time and should be on the Ring with his fellow Orange Crushers but I'll agree that Fletcher is currently the most deserving to be added.

I won't argue with any of that.

My worry is that outside of Fletcher, it's a ton of fan favorites who were awesome players, but are all roughly on that same level. Put them all in and where's the room for more GREAT players on that Little, Elway, Gradishar, Smith, Atwater, Zimm, etc level.

montrose
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I won't argue with any of that.

My worry is that outside of Fletcher, it's a ton of fan favorites who were awesome players, but are all roughly on that same level. Put them all in and where's the room for more GREAT players on that Little, Elway, Gradishar, Smith, Atwater, Zimm, etc level.

I totally hear you there, again my issue is the precedent that was previously set. As f'ed up as this may sound, I wish we could take some of those guys out of the ROF to make it more exclusive. I voted for Swanson as I wish more Broncos fans were aware of his skills but this is based on the criteria I see from the names presently on the Ring.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Had Romo's entire career been in Denver, or had Mobley not gotten into that accident... those two names could EASILY belong up there with Fletcher, imo.

cutthemdown
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Sorry at this point in Denvers history it will be really hard to get in. Eddie Mac just not quite great enough, good player no doubt and worthy of our admiration, but I don't think ROF worthy at this point. Same with a lot of the other players. Especially ones like Braxton and Romo who did too many questionable things. IE Vance Johnson as well.

Rick upchurch a decent wr but more a special teamer, although a great one, no ROF great.

Don't worry over next 20 yrs we will have some more players like Elway, Sharpe, Zimmerman, TD, etc that dominated there positions, the division, and the NFL. If we go back and put in all these good players from the past what do we do in 20 yrs when we need numbers and space in the ring of fame.

Don't water it down, or it will become meaningless like pro bowls.

cutthemdown
06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Problem with Simon Fletcher is he didn't play big in big games. You want ROF to be for players like Atwater, who intimidated every team, not just some teams, who made plays in regular games, big games, and the biggest games.

Fletcher IMO would get 3-4 sacks vs a bad team, then 0 vs the some big NFC team when it mattered. Not ROF worthy but worthy of mention as a good Broncos player. He did get his 10-13 sacks a yr, but they were quiet sacks IMO.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I really believe that Bowlen should waive the waiting period and induct Shanahan this season. Get some goodwill, good JuJu and good Karma back in that stadium.

OBF1
06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Rulon Jones. I can not believe he is not getting any love from you knuckleheads :)

broncosteven
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Bowlen is not going to allow anyone from before the beginning of his reign so therefore I voted for Eddie Mac.

Northman
06-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Stinky

bowtown
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I voted for Fletcher because I think of all those names, he is the one that belongs the most, but I don't think anyone should go before Tom Nalen (even though he's not yet elegible).

uplink
06-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Give Reeves a little respect for taking the broncos to 3 superbowls!, almost 4 thinking of the Buffalo game. He might get in the HOF one day as he has the
wins.

phillybroncosnut
06-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I think Eddie will win a poll like this becaue people remember recent alot more then 25 years ago but, I still can't believe Simon is not in the ROF. I raised the question in a thread a few years ago asking why Fletch isnt in the ROF.... IIRC, people were telling me he left Denver and burned some bridges.

Popps
06-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Fletcher is our all-time leading sack leader and one of our best linemen ever, factoring in guys who played for us for a long period of time.

Reeves probably won't ever be inducted, but he really should be.

bombay
06-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Al Wilson.

The day he went down is the day the defense died.

PaintballCLE
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
david treadwell, rich karlis, Mike Horan, and tom rouen

Sacked by Croel
06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Riley Odoms has as good of a case as anybody outside of Dan Reeves.

From 1973-74, he was the best tight end in all of football, being voted to the first-team NFL All-Pro team twice.

phillybroncosnut
06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Fletcher is our all-time leading sack leader and one of our best linemen ever, factoring in guys who played for us for a long period of time.

Reeves probably won't ever be inducted, but he really should be.

Agree about Reeves. On the Fletcher topic, it's arguable (maybe Floyd, Meck, Shannon, or TD), but, Fletcher IMO is the 3rd greatest Broncos ever.

1-Elway
2-Gradishar
3-Simon

titan
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I always thought Upchurch was the most glaring omission from the Ring of Fame. Probably because he played before Bowlen owned the team. Upchurch was such a key part of the first Bronco Super Bowl team. He deserves to get in for his return magic alone - one of the most exciting players in Bronco history. Jim Turner is in the Ring, and in my opinion Upchurch was a more important member of the 77 team than Turner.

HAT
06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
#73 hands down......

I loved easy Ed as much as the next guy but no way should he be in the ROF.

Reeves? GTFO

Popps
06-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Agree about Reeves. On the Fletcher topic, it's arguable (maybe Floyd, Meck, Shannon, or TD), but, Fletcher IMO is the 3rd greatest Broncos ever.

1-Elway
2-Gradishar
3-Simon

Yea, he's definitely up there. Being a defense-type dude, and playing DE in high school, Fletcher was always a hero of mine. :)

I also think there is a good argument for Rod Smith being in the top 3 all-time, as well... all things considered. If you look at how much offense that guy has produced, for how long... and what he meant to this team in terms of leadership and being our top WR during the SB years, it's really impressive.

I've seen most of the great Broncos play in my 30 years watching the team, and few contributed to Denver like Smith did.

worm
06-30-2009, 09:30 PM

1-Elway
2-Gradishar
3-Simon

I am not even sure Fletcher makes the top 5.

Little, Wright and Smith all supersede him IMO.

Bronco Yoda
06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Rulon Jones. I can not believe he is not getting any love from you knuckleheads :)

Is he still a hunting guide?

broncocalijohn
07-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Problem with Simon Fletcher is he didn't play big in big games. You want ROF to be for players like Atwater, who intimidated every team, not just some teams, who made plays in regular games, big games, and the biggest games.

Fletcher IMO would get 3-4 sacks vs a bad team, then 0 vs the some big NFC team when it mattered. Not ROF worthy but worthy of mention as a good Broncos player. He did get his 10-13 sacks a yr, but they were quiet sacks IMO.

please show me these stats that you place here against my main man Fletcher. Fletcher didnt get to play his entire career at LB since his move to DE near the end of his career. He was one guy that i never heard bad word from fans. He got screwed not making one pro bowl and this would go along ways to redeem his name. We are the only ones that know him so what better way to show him he mattered than put him in the ROF. He deserves it.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I voted other for Lyle Alzado, the 1977 UPI AFC Player of the Year.

vancejohnson82
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Red Miller

guy turned the franchise around

vancejohnson82
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Red Miller

guy turned the franchise around

OOHHHH....and might I add....

he was a former Patriots coach who came in here with a new attitude and did some restructuring of the roster

I'm not saying....I'm just saying

listopencil
07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Ed McCaffrey.

period.

The man got his leg broken during a reception and didn't fumble. Put him in.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Jake Plummer. He's responsible for the only Broncos playoff win post Elway!

Doggcow
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
The man got his leg broken during a reception and didn't fumble. Put him in.

one could argue your legs don't hold onto the ball :)

BroncoMan4ever
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
one could argue your legs don't hold onto the ball :)

one could argue that when his leg snapped and bent at an almost 90 degree angle that it would have been excusable to drop the ball, but Eddie clung to that ball through the initial hit, hitting the ground, breaking the leg and rolling on the ground with a snapped leg.

that play is a perfect example as to the reason Eddie deserves his name on the ring of fame. he sacrificed himself every play for the better of the team.

Tombstone RJ
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
None of the above. The ROF is already pretty crowded.

cutthemdown
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
please show me these stats that you place here against my main man Fletcher. Fletcher didnt get to play his entire career at LB since his move to DE near the end of his career. He was one guy that i never heard bad word from fans. He got screwed not making one pro bowl and this would go along ways to redeem his name. We are the only ones that know him so what better way to show him he mattered than put him in the ROF. He deserves it.

4 sacks in 10 playoff games where in regular season he often avg 4 every 6 games. Can't remember him taking over a game except once vs Raiders and another vs Minny where he went off for 4 sacks.

Good player but IMO isn't rof worthy. IMO ROF should be players that might make the HOF at this point. Sure early you are less stringent because your history not as big.

Actually though Fletcher played both ROLB, L OLB and DE I think over his what 8-9 yrs.

He did have a good games vs Browns in the 89 playoffs 2 sacks.

cutthemdown
07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
None of the above. The ROF is already pretty crowded.

Yep

broncocalijohn
07-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I voted other for Lyle Alzado, the 1977 UPI AFC Player of the Year.

when did Alzado become Jewish?

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
07-04-2009, 01:05 PM
when did Alzado become Jewish?

Alzado's mother is Jewish.

Hogan11
07-04-2009, 01:14 PM
It is time to finally honor Rick Upchurch and give him a spot in the Ring of Fame.

I second the motion.