PDA

View Full Version : The latest news on Brandon Marshall...

TonyR
06-30-2009, 06:21 AM
...is that there is no news. As some of us have been trying to tell the drama queens since this started the Broncos hold all the cards and really just have to sit back and wait. BM isn't going anywhere unless somebody comes with a great offer, which isn't going to happen.

Broncos continuing stance on Marshall
June 29, 2009 7:10 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Brandon Marshall saga has been quiet since he requested a trade nearly two weeks ago.

Expect the quiet to continue.

I talked to some people close to the situation Monday, and they said the Broncos will maintain their stance of keeping Marshall. The team still expects Marshall to show up for training camp.

The team still has no plans to trade Marshall. Denver's brass isn't fretting about the Marshall situation. The front office is on vacation and when the team reports to camp in late July, there is hope the Pro Bowl receiver will show. If he doesn't report for the beginning of camp, the team still expects Marshall to eventually show up.

The Broncos know they hold all the cards. If Marshall doesn't show up in 2009, he won't be paid. A prospective free agent in 2010, there is little chance Marshall will risk missing an entire season.

The Broncos know players around the league can become unhappy about their contracts routinely. Still, usually nothing happens besides the players moving on and playing. The Broncos expect that to be the case for Marshall.

However, if Denver was blown away by a trade offer for Marshall, it would likely consider it. But the compensation would have to be a first rounder-plus. So far, there have been no such offers. Because of Marshall's history of legal and injury problems, Denver doesn't expect a big offer.

So, the Broncos are content waiting this situation out. Don't be surprised if this situation continues to be quiet through July. The Broncos are in control and they don't plan on changing their stance.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2410/Broncos-continuing-stance-on-Marshall.html

rbackfactory80
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Maybe you should heed your own advice.

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
...is that there is no news. As some of us have been trying to tell the drama queens since this started the Broncos hold all the cards and really just have to sit back and wait. BM isn't going anywhere unless somebody comes with a great offer, which isn't going to happen. So continue to wring your hands and gnash your teeth if that's what makes you happy, but you'd be better off using your energy on something more productive.

Anyone else find it comical that this is literally the only Marshall-related thread on the entire first page?

rbackfactory: you nailed it.

DBroncos4life
06-30-2009, 06:56 AM
damn now I have to get into a Marshall vs McD fight today that will lead into a Cutler vs McD fight. I guess the dogs won't get to the vet today after all.

TonyR
06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
rbackfactory: you nailed it.

You're right, there weren't any meltdowns about the BM trade request. I must have been thinking of something else. Nailed it!

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 07:42 AM
You're right, there weren't any meltdowns about the BM trade request. I must have been thinking of something else. Nailed it!

Yeah, that's what I said. Reading comp time.

All I said was that there have been none ON PAGE ONE of this site. In other words, nobody for the past day or two has been beating this dead horse.

I'm pointing out the irony of you starting a thread that will do exactly what you are telling others not to do.

TonyR
06-30-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm pointing out the irony of you starting a thread that will do exactly what you are telling others not to do.

Fair enough, I'll remove the last comment of the OP. My overall point is to reinforce to the many who still likely feel otherwise that the Broncos are firmly in the driver's seat in this situation and that BM is probably going nowhere. There were many, many people bashing McD and the FO for this situation. The fact that there aren't any recent threads on this reinforces the fact that there hasn't been any news on the subject, which further reinforces that the Broncos are in control. There isn't a trade market for BM and he has no leverage to get what he wants with any immediacy.

DBroncos4life
06-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Fair enough, I'll remove the last comment of the OP. My overall point is to reinforce to the many who still likely feel otherwise that the Broncos are firmly in the driver's seat in this situation and that BM is probably going nowhere. There were many, many people bashing McD and the FO for this situation. The fact that there aren't any recent threads on this reinforces the fact that there hasn't been any news on the subject, which further reinforces that the Broncos are in control. There isn't a trade market for BM and he has no leverage to get what he wants with any immediacy.

lol Of course the FO is in control, he is under contract. Every FO is in control in this situation that doesn't mean he won't get traded if they grow tired of that player. The only way a player has control if he is a FA and he isn't tagged. The owners and the FO's of every team let the NFL get to how it is now to letting the player of the past do just what BM is doing. The only people that lose is the fans.

FantomForce
06-30-2009, 08:29 AM
screw him (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005467/)

gyldenlove
06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
**** this ****, I am going to Mcdanie... Mcdonalds

theAPAOps5
06-30-2009, 08:45 AM
McPoopoo head is teh dummy!

Cool Breeze
06-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I wonder what he meant by this - Still, usually nothing happens besides the players moving on and playing. The Broncos expect that to be the case for Marshall.

worm
06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I wonder what he meant by this - Still, usually nothing happens besides the players moving on and playing. The Broncos expect that to be the case for Marshall.

Are you really asking what Burger Bill meant?

broncofan2438
06-30-2009, 10:25 AM
See you in camp Marshall

24champ
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
front office is on vacation

Awesome, they totally deserve it. Too bad it wasn't a permanent vacation.

Broncoman13
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM

You got Pwnedt!!!

rastaman
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
...is that there is no news. As some of us have been trying to tell the drama queens since this started the Broncos hold all the cards and really just have to sit back and wait. BM isn't going anywhere unless somebody comes with a great offer, which isn't going to happen.

The Brandon Marshall saga has been quiet since he requested a trade nearly two weeks ago.

I talked to some people close to the situation Monday, and they said the Broncos will maintain their stance of keeping Marshall. The team still expects Marshall to show up for training camp.

The team still has no plans to trade Marshall. Denver's brass isn't fretting about the Marshall situation. The front office is on vacation and when the team reports to camp in late July, there is hope the Pro Bowl receiver will show. If he doesn't report for the beginning of camp, the team still expects Marshall to eventually show up.

The Broncos know they hold all the cards. If Marshall doesn't show up in 2009, he won't be paid. A prospective free agent in 2010, there is little chance Marshall will risk missing an entire season.

The Broncos know players around the league can become unhappy about their contracts routinely. Still, usually nothing happens besides the players moving on and playing. The Broncos expect that to be the case for Marshall.

However, if Denver was blown away by a trade offer for Marshall, it would likely consider it. But the compensation would have to be a first rounder-plus. So far, there have been no such offers. Because of Marshall's history of legal and injury problems, Denver doesn't expect a big offer.

So, the Broncos are content waiting this situation out. Don't be surprised if this situation continues to be quiet through July. The Broncos are in control and they don't plan on changing their stance.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2410/Broncos-continuing-stance-on-Marshall.html

Brandon Marshall evens out the control to get paid in 09 by yes of course showing up just to get paid. That isn't to say just b/c he shows up for the 09 season that he is the BMarsh of 07 and 08. Brandon just needs to show up to collect his 2.2 salary. Besides, BMarsh is on a team that in a re-building period so what does that tell you!!!

So TonyR, how would that scenario sit with you guys? Should Brandon show up for the 09 season just to get paid! where does that leave the Broncos? Denver can only ask 1st round compensation for BMarsh based off his 07 and 08 seasons and his Pro Bowl appearance.

Should BMarsh stats drop down and he doesn't make the Pro Bowl in 09; how much compenstation can the Broncos demand or expect in 2010? Afterall, Marshall will still have the talent, he just had an off year in 09, and of course he's disgruntled as well.

Denver still runs the risk of not getting compensated in a trade or with draft picks equal to the talent BMarsh brings on Sunday. I dont see where the Broncos and fans believe they are in the drivers seat.

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Should BMarsh stats drop down and he doesn't make the Pro Bowl in 09; how much compenstation can the Broncos demand or expect in 2010? Afterall, Marshall will still have the talent, he just had an off year in 09, and of course he's disgruntled as well.

Denver still runs the risk of not getting compensated in a trade or with draft picks equal to the talent BMarsh brings on Sunday. I dont see where the Broncos and fans believe they are in the drivers seat.

How much can they demand and expect? That's easy. After this 2009 season, Marshall would be a RFA which would mean, by definition, that the Broncos would receive a first and a third for him if anyone signed him away (assuming of course they give him the "high" tender of $2.7 mil).

Trade him any sooner? Negotiations have to begin at a first and a third. No less. Why? He's a year younger.

rastaman
06-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Doesn't really matter at this stage. All Brandon needs to do is to report to camp, go thru the motions to ensure he's on track to collect his 2.2 million dollars for the 09 season. Is this all the FO and the fans are expecting? BMarsh can still burn the Broncos by not playing at the same level he played in 07 & 08. Doesn't Marshall still get PAID!!!!

There is nothing the Broncos and Fans can do should Marshall depoly his version of SYOPS against McDaniel's. It starts with Marshall not talking to the media, it starts with Marshall not trusting the Broncos Organization and McD. Silence is Killer! From the start of training camp until the end of December 09, the SYOPs BMarsh can employ everytime the "Mic" is put in front of him is talk about how much he no longer wants to be Bronco and wants to be traded.........Brandon still get paid his $2.2 million dollars! So who's in the Driver seat under this scenario!!!

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Actually, he won't get all that $2.2 mil. He's already missed some mandatory practices, so if the Broncos want to, they can start the fines which technically have already accumulated to six figures.

rastaman
06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
How much can they demand and expect? That's easy. After this 2009 season, Marshall would be a RFA which would mean, by definition, that the Broncos would receive a first and a third for him if anyone signed him away (assuming of course they give him the "high" tender of $2.7 mil).

Trade him any sooner? Negotiations have to begin at a first and a third. No less. Why? He's a year younger.

True, BMarsh won't be a year younger.....but at the same time in the 09 season, BMarsh should not play with the reckless-risky abandon that he use play back in 07 & 08 seasons b/c that mode of play definitely makes you older over time b/c of the wear and tear your body goes thru b/c you allow 2 or 3 players to tackle you.

When you really think about, why should he? The Broncos have yet to compensate him for his 07 & 08 seasons. Face it the last 3 years, BMarsh has not put up numbers like a 4th rnd draft pick---its more like a 1st round draft pick.

If Marshall is smart, he'll go into the 09 season to make sure his hip is healthy and to protect and extend his career by going down with arm tackles, getting tackled by one player, and stepping out of bounds when he can. Brandon should realize he's leaving Denver evenually he just needs to leave healthy and make sure he gets paid.

So as you can see both Marshall and Denver both have LEVERAGE.

BroncoBuff
06-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Great analysis ... 1st and 3rd must be the starting point. And nobody's gonna offer a 1st and 3rd for a guy who's damaged goods and character flawed, no matter how supernaturally talented he might be.

If Pat is smart, he'll give him a middling/decent bump with big incentives for this year. That way BM can save face and come in. Not the huge deal just yet, but something so he's not embarrassed to get back in there and start studying.

Remember, we were concerned with Brandon's learning curve BEFORE he left the team. Being gone drops hium further and further back.

rastaman
06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Actually, he won't get all that $2.2 mil. He's already missed some mandatory practices, so if the Broncos want to, they can start the fines which technically have already accumulated to six figures.

This is true, and there in lies where the animosity will start. Revenge and hatred are two intangibles that are cancerous to a team atomosphere and this is what could be at stake for both sides.

Brandon needs to defeat this situation he now finds himself in with his mind and not with emotions. Like I said earlier, Marshall needs to get into camp to get paid, make sure his hip is healthy and put the health of his hip ahead of the Broncos.....plain and simple. Brandon needs to realize his value and his career is based solely on how healthy he is. Even if McD tries to insinuate BMarsh is a malingerer and milking his hip injury, BMarsh needs to ignore it and make sure he's healthy. He can't be fined for that can he.

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 11:15 AM
True, BMarsh won't be a year younger.....but at the same time in the 09 season, BMarsh should not play with the reckless-risky abandon that he use play back in 07 & 08 seasons b/c that mode of play definitely makes you older over time b/c of the wear and tear your body goes thru b/c you allow 2 or 3 players to tackle you.

This is such an exaggerated "statistic" IMO. WRs like Marshall average 5 or 6 receptions a game. In MAYBE one or two of those plays does he really have the option of stepping out of bounds versus taking a hit. It seems from what I've seen that players that try to play it "soft" (like Shaun Alexander) get hurt just as much if not more than players that go all out on every play (Eddie Mac).

rastaman
06-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Great analysis ... 1st and 3rd must be the starting point. And nobody's gonna offer a 1st and 3rd for a guy who's damaged goods and character flawed, no matter how supernaturally talented he might be.

If Pat is smart, he'll give him a middling/decent bump with big incentives for this year. That way BM can save face and come in. Not the huge deal just yet, but something so he's not embarrassed to get back in there and start studying.

Remember, we were concerned with Brandon's learning curve BEFORE he left the team. Being gone drops hium further and further back.

Everything hinges upon how healthy Brandon can keep himself. Looks like that big pay day he's searching for won't happen until he's free and clear of Denver. Of course Denver can still tag him two years after his intitial 4 year contract is up. But of course tag him two years in a row will probable ingender more animosity and hatred.

BMarsh just needs to stay healthy until he's paroled by the Denver Broncos.

rastaman
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
This is such an exaggerated "statistic" IMO. WRs like Marshall average 5 or 6 receptions a game. In MAYBE one or two of those plays does he really have the option of stepping out of bounds versus taking a hit. It seems from what I've seen that players that try to play it "soft" (like Shaun Alexander) get hurt just as much if not more than players that go all out on every play (Eddie Mac).

My point is, the way BMarsh played in 07 & 08 took alot of wear and tear on his body, and the risk is greater for wear and tear and injury when you put yourself in a position to allow 2 or 3 players to tackle you! In 09, Brandon needs to play smarter to EXTEND his playing career. After all, thats how you get a big pay day by staying healthy and extending your career.

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I understand the point you're trying to make. I just disagree with it for WRs.

For RBs, certainly. They get tackled around 30-40 times per game and block blitzing LBs and safeties another 5-10 times per game. They take a real beating. But WRs? Marshall takes maybe 1 or 2 unnecessary hits per game on average than he would otherwise. The risk in getting injured on those 1 or 2 plays is far below the potential reward he gets for having the rep of being "tough to bring down." A rep he'd lose quickly if he tries to play it soft and cost himself series YAC (which is where he gets his gaudy numbers BTW).

rastaman
06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I understand the point you're trying to make. I just disagree with it for WRs.

For RBs, certainly. They get tackled around 30-40 times per game and block blitzing LBs and safeties another 5-10 times per game. They take a real beating. But WRs? Marshall takes maybe 1 or 2 unnecessary hits per game on average than he would otherwise. The risk in getting injured on those 1 or 2 plays is far below the potential reward he gets for having the rep of being "tough to bring down." A rep he'd lose quickly if he tries to play it soft and cost himself series YAC (which is where he gets his gaudy numbers BTW).

Good points, there is a fine line btwn playing smart and maintaining your rep for being "tough to bring down".

HILife
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
no news is good news.

watermock
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
The circus never ends at Dove Valley.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 02:36 PM
IF Pat Bowlen actually did say he'd accomodate Brandon's wishes and then wished him luck in the future, then you can expect this get downright bitter and ugly and I couldn't fault him for it either.

broncosteven
06-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Don't worry guys! Remember the Maine? Remember the rally cry of "I'll take care of it!"

We are in good hands.

Popps
06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
IF Pat Bowlen actually did say he'd accomodate Brandon's wishes and then wished him luck in the future, then you can expect this get downright bitter and ugly and I couldn't fault him for it either.

Fault who?

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Fault who?

I'm saying if Bowlen did in fact promise him that he'd be moved, and then he didn't get moved, I wouldn't fault him (Brandon) for throwing a fit or holding out until the trade deadline.

TonyR
06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm saying if Bowlen did in fact promise him that he'd be moved, and then he didn't get moved, I wouldn't fault him (Brandon) for throwing a fit or holding out until the trade deadline.

I think Bowlen only promised to try to accomodate him. But since there isn't currently a realistic trade market for BM he cannot do so.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Bowlen only promised to try to accomodate him. But since there isn't currently a realistic trade market for BM he cannot do so.

More speculation. We have NO idea if he was even placed on a block and if so, what offers may have been. All we've heard is that the staff is expecting him to show up to camp. Period.

You made the Sheldon Brown comparison already. Now imagine if Lurie had told him he'd be accomodated and gave him his best wishes for the future... then the stance changed another 180... think he wouldn't be even more pissed off and rightfully so?

Popps
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Oh.

Yea, who knows what was said. The media seems to give us plenty of conflicting reports every time someone farts around Dove Valley.

I can't see Bowlen promising him anything, and it seems like the coach expect him at practice. So, my best guess is that Bowlen said they'd try to see what they could do, but if no reasonable offers come along... that we'd be expecting him to honor his contract.

It's a recipe for an ugly situation, though. Brandon sounds like he's looking for his big payday before his next incident... the staff is in the midst of setting a new precedent around Broncos headquarters, and there are very likely few if any teams willing to bust the bank for a risk like Marshall.
Teams have learned enough about WR risk by watching players like Owens get bounced around.

Then, there are injury questions.

It really is the perfect storm of bull****. Marshall could have shown up like a good soldier... played well, been a team leader and likely been extended mid-season, imo. Trying to stick a gun in the team's ribs for a huge contract minutes after finding out you weren't suspended and on the heels of a major QB controversy probably wasn't the best strategic move.

worm
06-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Trying to stick a gun in the team's ribs....probably wasn't the best strategic move.

Recent precedent in Dove Valley says otherwise.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh.

Yea, who knows what was said. The media seems to give us plenty of conflicting reports every time someone farts around Dove Valley.

I can't see Bowlen promising him anything, and it seems like the coach expect him at practice. So, my best guess is that Bowlen said they'd try to see what they could do, but if no reasonable offers come along... that we'd be expecting him to honor his contract.

It's a recipe for an ugly situation, though. Brandon sounds like he's looking for his big payday before his next incident... the staff is in the midst of setting a new precedent around Broncos headquarters, and there are very likely few if any teams willing to bust the bank for a risk like Marshall.
Teams have learned enough about WR risk by watching players like Owens get bounced around.

It really is the perfect storm of bull****. Marshall could have shown up like a good soldier... played well, been a team leader and likely been extended mid-season, imo. Trying to stick a gun in the team's ribs for a huge contract minutes after finding out you weren't suspended and on the heels of a major QB controversy probably wasn't the best strategic move.

I completely agree with the bolded statement. This could get bad.

Showing up and being the good soldier is one thing, but if his extension comes after a performance decline due to both inferior QB play and a more run heavy offense, then his financial value unfairly declines and the extension isn't what he or his agent is expecting.

All this brings us back to your bolded statement. It's a recipe for disaster. Let's hope cooler heads prevail from ALL INVOLVED PARTIES.

TonyR
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
More speculation. We have NO idea if he was even placed on a block and if so, what offers may have been. All we've heard is that the staff is expecting him to show up to camp. Period.

I agree. But even if he was made actively available for trade they wouldn't get good offers, just as Cleveland reportedly didn't for Edwards for whatever reason. There just isn't a good market for a player in BM's current situation: injured, a suspension risk, and looking for a big pay day. A perfect storm of untouchability.

cmhargrove
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM

I'd trade him straight up for a starting NT right now. How about a rotational NT and a third rounder???

Let him go beat some girls in another town...

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I agree. But even if he was made actively available for trade they wouldn't get good offers, just as Cleveland reportedly didn't for Edwards for whatever reason. There just isn't a good market for a player in BM's current situation: injured, a suspension risk, and looking for a big pay day. A perfect storm of untouchability.

I doubt that's the case. If anything we could land a very solid defensive player and a mid round pick even with "suspension risk", and the injury is for other team's doctors to decide... not message board medical specialists.

DBroncos4life
06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Pretty much every former player on every network TV show is saying if Denver trades BM then we are in a lot of trouble. They can't have players in the locker room thinking that if they don't want to be here all they have to do is ask. I've heard that we moved on the Cutler deal too fast but on the flip side I don't think that kind of offer for what we got for him would sit on the table long.

TonyR
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
I doubt that's the case.

I think you underestimate. With Goodell's current heavy handed suspension tendency nobody is going to give up much value for a player who is a suspension risk, particularly one who they're also going to have to invest a lot of money in. It's one thing to sign an at risk player who isn't going to cost you much, quite another to sign someone who's going to cost you some combo of draft picks and players plus large dollars. Teams aren't looking to sign players, particularly WR's, who want big contracts as evidenced by the lack of interest in Braylon Edwards and even Anquan Boldin for whom the Cardinals didn't reportedly receive adequate offers. On top of this I think some teams may have learned a lesson with the Cowboys trade for Roy Williams. There are perhaps only a few teams in the league that would be stupid enough to do a BM deal (Oakland? Washington? Dallas?) and none of them are really in a situation to do such a deal right now.

I've said it several times and I'll say it again: the Broncos almost certainly cannot currently get anything remotely approaching fair value for BM.

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I think you underestimate. With Goodell's current heavy handed suspension tendency nobody is going to give up much value for a player who is a suspension risk, particularly one who they're also going to have to invest a lot of money in. It's one thing to sign an at risk player who isn't going to cost you much, quite another to sign someone who's going to cost you some combo of draft picks and players plus large dollars. Teams aren't looking to sign players, particularly WR's, who want big contracts as evidenced by the lack of interest in Braylon Edwards and even Anquan Boldin for whom the Cardinals didn't reportedly receive adequate offers. On top of this I think some teams may have learned a lesson with the Cowboys trade for Roy Williams. There are perhaps only a few teams in the league that would be stupid enough to do a BM deal (Oakland? Washington? Dallas?) and none of them are really in a situation to do such a deal right now.

I've said it several times and I'll say it again: the Broncos almost certainly cannot currently get anything remotely approaching fair value for BM right now.

1. Braylon isn't that good.
2. The Cardinals were asking for a first AND a second. A first was on the table and rejected.
3. How you apply that to Brandon is pure speculation. In my opinion, you can NEVER get "fair value" for a 25 year old legitimate pro bowl player. Sadly for us, I expect Orton and our picks to prove that.

DBroncos4life
06-30-2009, 05:14 PM
On ESPN they said no team has lost its Pro Bowl QB and their Pro Bowl WR in the same off-season since the AFL-NFL merger.

TonyR
06-30-2009, 05:20 PM
2. The Cardinals were asking for a first AND a second. A first was on the table and rejected.
3. How you apply that to Brandon is pure speculation. In my opinion, you can NEVER get "fair value" for a 25 year old legitimate pro bowl player. Sadly for us, I expect Orton and our picks to prove that.

1. That depends on whether or not you think he's capable of approximating his 2007 season in a better situation. 80-1289-16 is nothing to sneeze at.
2. Right. Boldin is worth more that a first round pick, don't you think?
3. It's not speculation it's common sense. AB is considerably more marketable than BM right now and he only brought a first round pick offer (if that). Nobody would offer Denver that at this point, but would you take it if they did?

DBroncos4life
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
1. That depends on whether or not you think he's capable of approximating his 2007 season in a better situation. 80-1289-16 is nothing to sneeze at.
3. It's not speculation it's common sense. AB is considerably more marketable than BM right now and he only brought a first round pick offer (if that). Nobody would offer Denver that at this point, but would you take it if they did?

NO

TonyR
06-30-2009, 05:29 PM
NO

Me, neither. Which is my point. We can't even get an offer we wouldn't even take. Which is why, as things stand right now, BM will almost certainly be a Denver Bronco this season.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Me, neither. Which is my point. We can't even get an offer we wouldn't even take. Which is why, as things stand right now, BM will almost certainly be a Denver Bronco this season.

I dont even want to consider any offer...i want Brandon a bronco. I dont want the draft picks.

Broncobuddy7
06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Broncos | Marshall said he wanted to be traded during 2007 arrest
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:59:10 -0700

Arthur Kane and Tony Kovaleski, of TheDenverChannel.com, report Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall said he wanted to be traded by the Broncos and verbally attacked the city of Denver during his arrest for driving under the influence Oct. 22, 2007, according to police documents.

http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl

TheReverend
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM

1. Judging by last season, if he could've caught the football, he would've been in a better situation.
2. Yes. It's been my contention that you just DON'T trade great players. Sadly, this front office disagrees.
3. See #2. Also, if my boss, the team owner, HAD (and that's not necessarilly true) told him he'd be accomodated, then yeah, your hands are tied.

rastaman
07-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Oh.

Why would BMarsh want to show up and give his all to a team that's in a rebuilding phase and continue to get paid 4th rnd draft choice money, when he has played like a 1st rnd draft choice over the last two years????

It has nothing to do with being a good soldier.......it comes down to business and whats in Marshall's best interest. Nows the time for Bmarsh to put himself first, his team second! The NFL stands for "NOT FOR LONG", its one of the most violent sports in America and on any given play your career or season can be terminated!!! Its better for BMarsh to stay healthy than to play hard and give his body and soul to a team thats not sure whether they want to make Marshal a lifelong Bronco.

The time for BMarsh is now to leverage his talents and performance on the field for a contract that makes him one of the top 5 highest paid WR's in the NFL.

If Bmarsh plays his cards right, there are teams in the NFL that will pay for his talents; and in the end the Broncos loose one of the top 5 WR's in the league. But key is for Brandon to use his Leverage and to STAY HEALTHY.

The Broncos leverage is that they have Marshall under contract and can tag Bmarsh for two years after his initial rookie contract has expired. Remember, BMarsh is young enough and talented to turn on his performance capability when he wants too....not when the Broncos or fans tell him!

Hulamau
07-01-2009, 04:36 AM

Remember, we were concerned with Brandon's learning curve BEFORE he left the team. Being gone drops him further and further back.

Good point BB pay him something by end of camp with the promise of a big pay day once he proves his hip is sound and he can stay off the police blotter for a season. Then everybody wins. If Marshall still balks then screw him and move on.

cutthemdown
07-01-2009, 07:18 AM

Let's face it we probably won't ever feel we made out in the Cutler trade.

I mean let's face it Ayers would have to be a force, not just good, to make up for a really good qb.

But there is also a chance that Cutler didn't realize how good he had it. He may never get to the level he could have in Denver. Let's face it Bears like to run and play defense. If they are going to try and change that may not work out for them we will see.

cutthemdown
07-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Why would BMarsh want to show up and give his all to a team that's in a rebuilding phase and continue to get paid 4th rnd draft choice money, when he has played like a 1st rnd draft choice over the last two years????

It has nothing to do with being a good soldier.......it comes down to business and whats in Marshall's best interest. Nows the time for Bmarsh to put himself first, his team second! The NFL stands for "NOT FOR LONG", its one of the most violent sports in America and on any given play your career or season can be terminated!!! Its better for BMarsh to stay healthy than to play hard and give his body and soul to a team thats not sure whether they want to make Marshal a lifelong Bronco.

The time for BMarsh is now to leverage his talents and performance on the field for a contract that makes him one of the top 5 highest paid WR's in the NFL.

If Bmarsh plays his cards right, there are teams in the NFL that will pay for his talents; and in the end the Broncos loose one of the top 5 WR's in the league. But key is for Brandon to use his Leverage and to STAY HEALTHY.

The Broncos leverage is that they have Marshall under contract and can tag Bmarsh for two years after his initial rookie contract has expired. Remember, BMarsh is young enough and talented to turn on his performance capability when he wants too....not when the Broncos or fans tell him!

You theory has some holes because if Marshall doesn't have a good yr who will want to offer him a big deal next yr as a restricted FA? The deal has to be big enough Broncos won't match or he's stuck again right?

Certainly no team going to give him a huge deal if he sits the season or dogs it, that means it would be an easy contract for Broncos to match and keep him.

It's pretty obvious to me that the only scenario that makes since is Brandon is worried about the hip and its worst then he's telling people. He knows this yr will be a slow start whether its in denver or at home holding out. He figures he cant play well right now so the smart thing is to not let people know that and say you want a new deal.

cutthemdown
07-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Good point BB pay him something by end of camp with the promise of a big pay day once he proves his hip is sound and he can stay off the police blotter for a season. Then everybody wins. If Marshall still balks then screw him and move on.

Yeah but what if the reason is the hip. Think about it. If you were Marshall and these were the circumstances.

1-last yr of deal
2-probably on a RFA next yr
3-Need either big new deal from Broncos or
4-Big season and hit RFA as a hot commodity
5-But hip ****ed up and you are worried about being avg this yr

what would you do?

Now if 5 wasn't on the list what would you do? Seems like IMO it would be have a huge yr right? But maybe number 5 is alive.

fdf
07-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah but what if the reason is the hip. Think about it. If you were Marshall and these were the circumstances.

1-last yr of deal
2-probably on a RFA next yr
3-Need either big new deal from Broncos or
4-Big season and hit RFA as a hot commodity
5-But hip ****ed up and you are worried about being avg this yr

what would you do?

Now if 5 wasn't on the list what would you do? Seems like IMO it would be have a huge yr right? But maybe number 5 is alive.

Good analysis.

watermock
07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Your still left with another FO fauxpau.

Is Bowlen a liar, again? or is McBeavis the real GM?

Jesus, we hardly had anyone RFA or FA and still all the drama, even with Weigman. Why did he have to complain? It just exempifies the rudderless state of Denver.

Of course BM wants out. Obviously lying has become SOP.

As far as the hip, he says it's 100% better plus time. He's in no hurry whatsoever. He's probably got legit beef about his hip.

This could of been the year to really strengthen the D and make a run in '10.

The Elway/Reeves showdown pales on this offseason fiasco.

I mean WTF about this draft?

It seems McBeavis is anxious to get every legacy of Shanny gone. Yes we sucked in 2 of 3 phases, but we were closer than now by a mile.

We had picks, we had money. We had a O 1 RB from elite.

We had a QB playing for 600k in the probowl AND his reciever, and frankly, we were loaded 'cept for injuries at RB.

It's the owners/coaches/GM's JOB to handle shiat. Wer're not the only team with an unhappy player or 3.

Tom A Hawk
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
of course a trade won't happen. Donks are demanding a king's ransom for a legal and injury problem. That keeps him in Donkville

prodigalson139
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I know that I do not post hardly art all, but have been a consistent lurker for several years, so take this for what it is worth...

I live in Fort Worth and was listening to the Michael Irvin show on 103.3. They had John Clayton on the show. Clayton was talking about Plaxico and Mike Vick.

At the very end of the converstation, Irvin asked Clayton if he had heard anything about Brandon Marshall.

Clayton said emphatically that the Broncos would not trade him. Clayton said the staff is resolute in not trading him. Clayton said the Broncos have received a few calls and offers but no offer was more than a single 4th round pick. Clayton said that Brandon Marshall's price at worst is a 1st and 3rd round pick. Irvin at the end asked if one single 2nd round pick could do the deal and Clayton said NO.

Take it for what it is worth...especially because it came from the mouth of the professor

bombay
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
The fact is Marshall was and continues to be a troubled guy. I hope he's able to get his life together, and I hope he does it here. I'd also like to see him make what he's worth, and do it here. His timing is extremely poor on this, though. He has no leverage and he's viewed league- wide as a substantial risk.

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Clayton said the Broncos have received a few calls and offers but no offer was more than a single 4th round pick.

I sincerely wonder what team would offer that with a straight face. Unreal.

Clayton said that Brandon Marshall's price at worst is a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Clayton and I finally agree on something. It's been awhile it seems.

broncswin
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
of course a trade won't happen. Donks are demanding a king's ransom for a legal and injury problem. That keeps him in Donkville

yet another amazing post from a queefROFL!

Doggcow
07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Marshall for Chad Johnson, both are disgruntled.