PDA

View Full Version : Wow another Airbus plane crashes mysteriously.

cutthemdown
06-29-2009, 09:37 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/29/yemen.plane.crash/index.html

(CNN) -- A Yemeni jetliner with more than 150 people aboard has crashed in the Indian Ocean off the island nation of Comoros, aviation officials in Yemen said Tuesday.
An Airbus 310 like the one pictured has crashed while on the way to the capital of Comoros.

An Airbus 310 like the one pictured has crashed while on the way to the capital of Comoros.

The jet was en route to Moroni, the capital of Comoros, from Yemen's capital Sanaa when it crashed about an hour before reaching its destination, officials from the national airline Yemenia said. There was no immediate news of the fate of those on board.

Yemenia Flight 626 left Sanaa at 9:30 p.m. for what was expected to be a 4-hour flight. The airline has three regular flights per week to Moroni, off the east coast of Africa about 2,900 kilometers (1,800 miles) south of Yemen.

Most of the 143 passengers aboard the Airbus A310 were Comoran, an official at Sanaa's international airport said. The aircraft also carried a crew of 11, for a total of 154 people on board.

There has been no indication of foul play behind the crash, the officials said.

The crash is the second involving an Airbus jet in a month. On June 1, an Air France Airbus A330 crashed off Brazil while en route from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to Paris, France. All 228 aboard are presumed dead. The cause remains under investigation.
E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend
Share this on:
Mixx Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit MySpace StumbleUpon
| Mixx it | Share

Wow not good used for Airbus. One more jet falls out of sky people may not want to fly on them for awhile. People get superstitious when it comes to flying.

PaintballCLE
06-29-2009, 10:07 PM

(CNN) -- A Yemeni jetliner with more than 150 people aboard has crashed in the Indian Ocean off the island nation of Comoros, aviation officials in Yemen said Tuesday.

The jet was en route to Moroni, the capital of Comoros, from Yemen's capital Sanaa when it crashed about an hour before reaching its destination, officials from the national airline Yemenia said. There was no immediate news of the fate of those on board.

Yemenia Flight 626 left Sanaa at 9:30 p.m. for what was expected to be a 4-hour flight. The airline has three regular flights per week to Moroni, off the east coast of Africa about 2,900 kilometers (1,800 miles) south of Yemen.

Most of the 143 passengers aboard the Airbus A310 were Comoran, an official at Sanaa's international airport said. The aircraft also carried a crew of 11, for a total of 154 people on board.

The crash is the second involving an Airbus jet in a month. On June 1, an Air France Airbus A330 crashed off Brazil while en route from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to Paris, France. All 228 aboard are presumed dead. The cause remains under investigation.
Share this on:
| Mixx it | Share

Wow not good used for Airbus. One more jet falls out of sky people may not want to fly on them for awhile. People get superstitious when it comes to flying.

lol maybe i shouldn't have booked all my flights on frontier

cutthemdown
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Maybe not man......... actually I'm surprised the dont crash more. Seems like overall the industry does a pretty good job.

Meh you will be fine I would fly on airbus for sure. It's probably just bad luck..........but I would bring my woobie..

Atlas
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM

Share this on:
| Mixx it | Share

Yeman is one of the largest exporters of terrorists, so you never know until the black box is found.

BroncosinDC
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow! I feel like this year is above normal for major airline disasters

cutthemdown
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeman is one of the largest exporters of terrorists, so you never know until the black box is found.

If this one is terrorism that would make people think the other one was somehow also. Especially if they never find the black box for that one.

Still big jets dont normally go down that often do they?

Is it me or is it seem like 2 back to back like this just falling from sky sort of weird. Collisions and runway accidents more common but they dont often just crash like this.

Dudeskey
06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Everytime I hear of an Airbus crashing I think back on that one Airbus A320 with the auto-land crashing...
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2eQpUgHkBcg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

WABronco
06-29-2009, 11:57 PM
^wow.

Get me on the next flight!

atomicbloke
06-30-2009, 12:32 AM
I have been watching Youtube videos of the Air Crash Investigation television series (Mayday in the US) for the last few days.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AirCrashInvestigate&view=playlists

Its really mind blowing. How seemingly unrelated things and superficially minor overlooks can conspire to have disastrous consequences. I'll probably be queasy the next time I step on a plane.

The one on the Tenerife disaster when two 747s collided on the runway is really chilling.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7A2693BD3AB278C7&search_query=crash+of+the+century

broncosteven
06-30-2009, 03:22 AM
With Boeing having all those delays on the 787 Dreamliner maybe all those that were going to jump ship and buy Airbus will think twice.

backup qb
06-30-2009, 05:01 AM
I would really have no problem if I were to never fly again. Hate it.

atomicbloke
06-30-2009, 05:03 AM
I would really have no problem if I were to never fly again. Hate it.

Well, not everyone lives and works in Countrybumkinville, Il.

HILife
06-30-2009, 05:18 AM
CNN just reported that one person, a child, has been found.

Rulon Velvet Jones
06-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Awesome.

Glad I'm flying Frontier from DFW to Denver Thursday morning. Hyping it now.

footstepsfrom#27
06-30-2009, 07:14 AM
CNN just reported that one person, a child, has been found.
A toddler...amazing. A jetliner crashes in the Indian Ocean and a toddler survives...I think that's a kid I want to keep track of to see what he/she does with their life.

Very suspicious...big airliners don't generally just drop from the sky for no reason...let alone twice in 3 weeks.

gyldenlove
06-30-2009, 07:54 AM
If this one is terrorism that would make people think the other one was somehow also. Especially if they never find the black box for that one.

Still big jets dont normally go down that often do they?

Is it me or is it seem like 2 back to back like this just falling from sky sort of weird. Collisions and runway accidents more common but they dont often just crash like this.

Look into Korean Airlines, between the mid 70s and mid 90s they used to have a couple fall down every year on average. They got their **** together now and haven't crashed one in 10 years, but it was pretty bad for a while.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Look into Korean Airlines, between the mid 70s and mid 90s they used to have a couple fall down every year on average. They got their **** together now and haven't crashed one in 10 years, but it was pretty bad for a while.

Gladwell discussed this in outliers, didnt he?

gyldenlove
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Gladwell discussed this in outliers, didnt he?

Yeah

SonOfLe-loLang
06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
by the way, completely off topic, how far is stockholm from copenhagen? Ill be in sweden in august and was thinking of heading down there.

gyldenlove
06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
by the way, completely off topic, how far is stockholm from copenhagen? Ill be in sweden in august and was thinking of heading down there.

Not that far, hour or so by plane, 5 hours on train, about 4 in car I think.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Not that far, hour or so by plane, 5 hours on train, about 4 in car I think.

Ah, hmm...well something to consider. Though im kind of looking to do as least as possible, so that seems like a trek.

theAPAOps5
06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Everytime I hear of an Airbus crashing I think back on that one Airbus A320 with the auto-land crashing...
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2eQpUgHkBcg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

That was a demonstration flight for Airbus and Air France. Had lots of VIP's on it. The pilot was trying to do the wrong thing and the computer was trying to correct the problem. But the pilot continued to fight the computer causing it to fly into the trees like it did. So it wasn't computer error it was pilot error due to the computer.

Its one of the issues many have with fly by "wire"

The pilots, Air France, and the Air Show Sponsor were charged with manslaughter for not following procedure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

Merlin
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
That airline has had some serious issues with maintenance and people in France were protesting against it. Supposedly they will pack people in like sardines and disregard many safety issues. This has a lot less to do with Airbus than it does with Yemen airlines. That being said, I agree people will start avoiding Airbus.

PS I don't know why they described the child as a toddler, the child is five years old. It is my understanding toddler applies to children less than three years old.

PPS The child survived the night in choppy seas, and it is not clear she or he even knew how to swim. Incredibly lucky child, but that is a lot trauma to overcome.

DenverBrit
06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
It would appear that the plane in question had problems........the Yemeni Airline's safety procedures were questionable.

France 'banned Yemen crash plane'

The Yemenia Airbus 310 that crashed - photo Air Team Images
Yemeni authorities said the plane conformed to international standards

A Yemeni airline which crashed into the Indian Ocean was banned from France because of "irregularities", France's transport minister has said.

Dominique Bussereau told parliament of ongoing concerns about the safety record of the Yemenia Airbus 310.

One young person is said to have been rescued from the ocean, the only known survivor of the 153 people on board.

The plane was heading from Yemen to the Comoros islands, but many on board began their journey in France.

Most had flown on a different Yemenia aircraft from Paris or Marseille before boarding flight IY626 in Sanaa, the capital of Yemen.

The crash was the second involving an Airbus aircraft in recent weeks. On 1 June an Air France Airbus 330 travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris plunged into the Atlantic, killing all 228 people on board.

That tragedy also involved large numbers of French citizens.

'Never again'

In Paris, Mr Bussereau told legislators that the Yemenia Airbus 310 which crashed was not permitted to fly into France, and raised concerns about the transfer of passengers from a plane classed as safe to one which crashed into the ocean.

"A few years ago, we banned this plane from national territory because we believed it presented a certain number of irregularities in its technical equipment," Mr Bussereau told parliament.

FLIGHT IY626
Airbus A310-300 aircraft, built in 1990
153 people on board, including 66 French nationals
Flight originated in Paris, using modern Airbus A330-200
Stopped in Marseille before flying to Sanaa
Passengers moved to A310-300
Stopover in Djibouti

"The question we are asking... is whether you can collect people in a normal way on French territory and then put them in a plane that does not ensure their security. We do not want this to happen again."

However, a spokesman for the airline said poor weather was more likely to have been a factor in the crash than the condition of the plane.

Yemeni Transport Minister Khaled Ibrahim al-Wazeer also told Reuters that the plane had recently undergone a thorough inspection overseen by Airbus and conformed to international standards.

The crash prompted the European Union to highlight its own concerns about Yemenia's safety record, proposing a world blacklist of those carriers deemed unsafe.

The EU already has its own list, and its transport commissioner, Antonio Tajani, said such a list would be a "safety guarantee for all".

Another EU official told Reuters news agency there were concerns about the airline's "incomplete reporting procedure and incomplete follow-up" following 2007 tests on the aircraft that crashed, but that its record was improving.

Anger and grief

Reports say the plane was due in the Comoros capital Moroni at about 0230 (2230GMT on Monday). Most of the passengers had travelled to Sanaa from Paris or Marseille on a different aircraft.

The flight on to Moroni, on the island of Njazidja (Grande Comore), was also thought to have made a stop in Djibouti.

There were more than 150 people on board, including three babies and 11 crew. Some 66 of the passengers were French, although many are thought to have dual French-Comoran citizenship.

Anxious relatives of passengers wait at Paris airport

This is the second air tragedy this month involving large numbers of French citizens.

Gen Bruno de Bourdoncle de Saint-Salvy, French naval commander in the Indian Ocean, said the plane had come down about 15km (eight nautical miles) north of the Comoran coast.

A search is under way, with the French military assisting with the operation, which is battling strong winds and high seas.

Initial reports said that a five-year-old child was found alive in the ocean, but later information suggested the child may have been older.

Five bodies and some wreckage of the plane have also been recovered.

The three Comoros islands are about 300km (190 miles) north-west of Madagascar in the Mozambique channel.

A resident living near the airport told the BBC that about 100 people were trying to get into the building to find out more information, but without much success.

Radio stations in Moroni have stopped playing music and are broadcasting passages from the Koran as a mark of respect for those killed, a local reporter, Abubacar Omar, told the BBC.

The government had appealed for people to stay calm, he said, with key politicians returning to the Comoros from overseas to take charge of the recovery and rescue operation.

"Everybody here is talking about only one thing - the crash", another local journalist, Abdul Rahman Bar Amir, said.

"There are groups of people huddled everywhere, talking. Nobody seems to know what is going on. All we can do is wait for information. Nobody is eating, nobody is drinking. All we are doing is waiting."

In France, relatives also gathered at Paris' Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport and at Marseille Marignane airport to wait for news.

Some expressed anger at the state of the airline's planes.

"They put us aboard wrecks, they put us aboard coffins. That's where they put us. It's slaughter. It's slaughter," one relative in Paris told French TV.

The airline Yemenia is 51% owned by the Yemeni government and 49% by the Saudi government.

In 1996, a hijacked Ethiopian airliner came down in the same area - most of the 175 passengers and crew were killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8126576.stm

Dudeskey
06-30-2009, 10:45 AM

I wouldn't think too much of it, but if you're worried about it that much, Alaska airlines is an all Boeing fleet...

azbroncfan
06-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree people will start avoiding Airbus.

Well that will be hard to do since most major carriers fly them.

DenverBrit
06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Well that will be hard to do since most major carriers fly them.

Not only that, but the Airbus has an excellent safety record.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/01/air-france-plane-good-safety-record

Avoiding 3rd world carriers would be wiser.

azbroncfan
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Continental is the only all boeing fleet of the legacy's anymore in the US. American only has A300's but all the rest have a pretty large fleet of airbus.