PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nugz to be aggressive in free agency

montrose
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Expected to give Chris Andersen, Dhantay Jones and Linas Kleiza raises while going after Ron Artest, Grant Hill and Michael Finley.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/scott_howard-cooper/06/29/nuggets/index.html?eref=sihpT1

BroncoDoug
06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
with what money?

montrose
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
with what money?

Looks like we'll be back over the luxury tax.

BroncoDoug
06-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree that bringing back our own guys is a good move. But, Artest? Hill? Finley? Pass....

crush17
06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Grant Hill?
for WHAT?

i could stand Artest but wouldn't prefer it.

UberBroncoMan
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
That's a bit much star power...

But then again, SA just got Jefferson, Orlando got Carter, and Cleavland got Shaq.

Broncosfreak_56
06-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I would want Ron Artest. He is a great defensive player that can contribute well on offense. He would be like an upgraded Dahntay Jones.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Artest would be a good fit. I'd pass on the rest.

SureShot
06-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Artest would help with the Kobe problem thats for sure.

summerdenver
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
If money is not a problem, Isn't boozer a better option?

TheChamp24
06-29-2009, 03:12 PM
How is that being aggressive in free agency by going after 2 36 year olds in free agency?
Hill would be awful IMO, Finley only as another scoring option when Billups and Melo on the bench.
Artest would be alright.

Pontius Pirate
06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Amare Stoudemire is available

bronco_boi_5280
06-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Amare Stoudamire sucks.

I'd be all for Artest though.

Boozer is great, but no way can we have Boozer, Nene, and Kenyon... Not to mention Birdman. It just doesn't make sense, even if the money didn't matter.

Hill/Finley... Eh. Hill has played well, but who knows. I mean, I guess it depends on if you think the Nuggets are just one player away, i.e., a bench player who can hit a basket in the clutch, etc. Obviously neither of those guys would play big minutes, but if one could play the "Robert Horry" role of reserve who hits a big shot, it could be worth it. Of course, kind of a stretch.

But getting Artest to play the 2 spot would be nasty.

Billups
Ron Ron
Melo
Kenyon
Nene

That's pretty sick, with JR, Birdman, and Lawson coming off the bench. And to a lesser extent Kleiza. Boy do I hate Kleiza. But eh.

jutang
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
SI article reads like a realgm thread. I can't see any of those players signing with Denver.

The two biggest things the Nuggets needed going into the offseason was a quality back up point guard and another big body who can shoot and rebound (like every other team in the league).

Drafting Lawson fills their first need. Now it is a matter of time of using the trade exemption on the right player... my hope is Gortat, but that is not looking likely anymore.

spdirty
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
They need a big to at least provide depth. Sign Jones and Bird, maybe Kleiza, and a big, good to go.

BroncoMan4ever
06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Amare Stoudamire sucks.

I'd be all for Artest though.

Boozer is great, but no way can we have Boozer, Nene, and Kenyon... Not to mention Birdman. It just doesn't make sense, even if the money didn't matter.

Hill/Finley... Eh. Hill has played well, but who knows. I mean, I guess it depends on if you think the Nuggets are just one player away, i.e., a bench player who can hit a basket in the clutch, etc. Obviously neither of those guys would play big minutes, but if one could play the "Robert Horry" role of reserve who hits a big shot, it could be worth it. Of course, kind of a stretch.

But getting Artest to play the 2 spot would be nasty.

Billups
Ron Ron
Melo
Kenyon
Nene

That's pretty sick, with JR, Birdman, and Lawson coming off the bench. And to a lesser extent Kleiza. Boy do I hate Kleiza. But eh.

i'd love to get Artest, and even though i grew up as a Grant Hill fan, i wouldn't want him in Denver.

also, i kind of doubt Kleiza will be back. Anderson, Jones, and Carter are the likely returns, and Kleiza more than likely will price himself out of Denver.

24champ
06-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Artest would help with the Kobe problem thats for sure.

He's unstoppable.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SH16SWQNh8o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SH16SWQNh8o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

;D

bronco_boi_5280
06-29-2009, 08:25 PM
i'd love to get Artest, and even though i grew up as a Grant Hill fan, i wouldn't want him in Denver.

also, i kind of doubt Kleiza will be back. Anderson, Jones, and Carter are the likely returns, and Kleiza more than likely will price himself out of Denver.

I highly doubt Carter returns with Lawson drafted. Even if he does return, he's get less than 5 minutes a game I'd imagine.

BMarsh615
06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't see how Artest fits in Denver, unless they plan on putting Artest at PF.

SoDak Bronco
06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
They should go get Ben Gordon...dude would be a freak in Denver

BroncoMan4ever
06-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I highly doubt Carter returns with Lawson drafted. Even if he does return, he's get less than 5 minutes a game I'd imagine.

i don't think Lawson will start the season getting substantial minutes. He will start out getting a few minutes a game and building up his game for awhile, and because of that Carter will be needed, especially since it has been said the team wants to limit Billups minutes so that he is fresher for the playoffs. also, this is the only place in the league where Carter will possibly get a deal

Dos Rios
06-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Sheed

Dudeskey
06-29-2009, 11:12 PM
That's a bit much star power...

But then again, SA just got Jefferson, Orlando got Carter, and Cleavland got Shaq.

That started this whole "arms race". Nuggs need to land another big man. And why Artest when we have Kmart for one more season?

BMarsh615
06-30-2009, 02:17 AM
They should go get Ben Gordon...dude would be a freak in Denver

Ben Gordon wouldn't fit in well with Denver. JR Smith and Mello can be ballhogs at times, and if Ben Gordon gets his hands on the ball he is going to jack it up. He would be a good guy to bring off the bench for some scoring, but he is going to get to big of a contract to be on the bench.

I don't think the Nuggets need to make a big splash in FA. They might need to sign another big guy... I dunno... maybe Al Harrington.

Man-Goblin
06-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Kroenke is a great owner to have as it sounds like he is willing to pay double to get back what the Nuggets had last year. Hopefully, they can do it.

Hill is probably the most intriguing of that list of three free agents. Good leader and can supply some scoring and defense. While still a good player, Artest has fallen off dramatically as a perimeter defender. Finley is essentially washed.

Other than signing their own guys, if the Nuggets really want to be serious contenders, the guy to go get is David Lee. He would add the much needed size the Nuggets need, and pushing Martin to the bench would increase their already great depth.

The Knicks would probably bite on a sign and trade if you offer them an expiring contract like Hunter and the Nuggets $10 million trade exception. The question would be if Kroenke wants to spend the money, and obviously you can't blame him if he doesn't. He has shown in the past that he is willing to carry $90 million payrolls with the Avs when he doesn't have to. Of course, it's a different economic climate now, but basketball is his true love.

bronco_boi_5280
06-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Agreed @ Man Goblin.

Like any business man, it seems like all Kroenke asks for is a return on his investment. The payroll slash that defined last summer was mainly because they got swept by the Lakers in the first round that year. The man isn't going to pay the luxury tax to see them play that poorly.

Conversely, he will pay the luxury tax if he can get to the conference finals or deeper. Things should be interesting this summer.