PDA

View Full Version : physics lesson of the day

tsiguy96
06-29-2009, 11:40 AM
if you shoot a bullet parallel to the ground, it will hit the ground the same time as if you dropped a bullet in your hand.

belie dat

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
if you shoot a bullet parallel to the ground, it will hit the ground the same time as if you dropped a bullet in your hand.

belie dat

You're leaving out the laundry list of disclosures re: elevation, wind, etc.

Pony Boy
06-29-2009, 11:49 AM

belie dat

In theory, it will do so, but only in a perfect vacuum when the bullet is fired exactly parallel to the ground. The reason is that the force of gravity is a constant, so the bullet will be pulled down vertically at the same speed, regardless of its horizontal speed. The reason for my caveats are that, in a vacuum, there is no air friction, which might tend to affect the fired bullet more than the falling bullet, nor any ability to for the fired bullet to rise aerodynamically (like the wing of an airplane).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_a_bullet_fired_from_a_gun_and_a_bullet_droppe d_from_the_same_height_hit_the_ground_at_the_same_ time

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
In theory, it will do so, but only in a perfect vacuum when the bullet is fired exactly parallel to the ground. The reason is that the force of gravity is a constant, so the bullet will be pulled down vertically at the same speed, regardless of its horizontal speed. The reason for my caveats are that, in a vacuum, there is no air friction, which might tend to affect the fired bullet more than the falling bullet, nor any ability to for the fired bullet to rise aerodynamically (like the wing of an airplane).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_a_bullet_fired_from_a_gun_and_a_bullet_droppe d_from_the_same_height_hit_the_ground_at_the_same_ time

Effects that would change the result:

Rotation of the bullet
Drag/friction (if the bullet is not 100% symmetric)
Curvature of the earth
Asymmetry of the bullet (could see some Bernoulli effect if the bullet is not symmetrical)

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM

Rotation of the bullet
Curvature of the earth
Asymmetry of the bullet (could see some Bernoulli effect if the bullet is not symmetrical)

This is because of the metric system isn't it?

Rohirrim
06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
What about muzzle velocity? A round from a .45 is coming down faster than a round from a 30.06

rugbythug
06-29-2009, 12:05 PM
What about muzzle velocity? A round from a .45 is coming down faster than a round from a 30.06

Not coming down faster. But coming down farther away.

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
This is because of the metric system isn't it?

Absertively.

bronco militia
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
if you stand on toilet, you're high on pot

loborugger
06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
If the shooter is cross eyed, then the bullet you dropped will hit first.

watermock
06-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Actually the answer is B. By the length of the muzzle.

55CrushEm
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Yep.....only in a vacuum

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Yep.....only in a vacuum

If the ball is entirely symmetric and not rotating at all you can relax the vacuum condition to just require air with absolutely homogeneous motion.

Rock Chalk
06-29-2009, 01:06 PM

Elevation, wind, flatness of ground, curvature of earth, temperature of air in transit all will affect when the shot bullet hits the ground and it is unlikely that it will hit at the same time as the bullet dropped from the hand at the same height.

That being said, in a gravitional field, in a vacuum with perfectly level ground, what he says is true.

rugbythug
06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
If you shoot a bullet into the ground at the same time you drop it the shot bullet will get there first.

Rock Chalk
06-29-2009, 01:15 PM

Who told you gravity is constant?

Gravity fluctuates on Earth, as it does everywhere else. Minutely sure, but gravity is less at the poles than it is at the equator. The reason is that due to the earth's rotation the earth bulges at the center and there is more mass at the equator than at the poles which creates a slightly greater gravitational pull than near the poles.

And when the moon is directly overhead, gravity is less as well as the moon's gravity pulls things away from the planet while Earth's gravity pulls it back. Earth's gravity is much greater than the moon but the effect remains as can be seen in the tides.

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Well...at lunch I went home and dropped a bullet and fired one in my vaccum and I really couldn't tell the different. Now my toliet is stopped up and my vaccuum cleaner is broken.

watermock
06-29-2009, 01:25 PM
The 30.06 will drop someone from 300 yards.

Except the Terminator.

Smiling Assassin27
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
If you shoot the bullet perpendicular to the ground, you have a 75.891% chance of shooting yourself in the groin...

Sincerely,

Plaxico Burress

bronco militia
06-29-2009, 01:37 PM
If you shoot the bullet perpendicular to the ground, you have a 75.891% chance of shooting yourself in the groin...

Sincerely,

Plaxico Burress

LOL LOL

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Sincerely,

Plaxico Burress

best post yet.

watermock
06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrGqmwkLyG4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LrGqmwkLyG4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No comment

It kinda dispells the what falls fastest argument tho.

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Well...at lunch I went home and dropped a bullet and fired one in my vaccum and I really couldn't tell the different. Now my toliet is stopped up and my vaccuum cleaner is broken.

You must be following the patented "baja diet".

TailgateNut
06-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Muzzle velocity size and weight of bullet and ground contours etc...

Pony Boy
06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
If Orton fires a football from the one yard line at the north end zone and Cutler fires a ball from the one yard line of the south end zone which one will cross the 50 yard line first and does altitude and alcohol have any effect on the results.

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
If Orton fires a football from the one yard line at the north end zone and Cutler fires a ball from the one yard line of the south end zone which one will cross the 50 yard line first and does altitude and alcohol have any effect on the results.

Doesn't matter because Champ would be able to pick both off with one arm tied behind his back.

ant1999e
06-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Sincerely,

Plaxico Burress

:rofl:

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 03:36 PM
If you sit on the top of the mast of a sail boat going at a steady 10 knots on a completely smooth lake on a day with no wind and you drop your cell phone, when it hits the deck, will it be in front of the mast, next to the mast or behind the mast?

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
If you sit on the top of the mast of a sail boat going at a steady 10 knots on a completely smooth lake on a day with no wind and you drop your cell phone, when it hits the deck, will it be in front of the mast, next to the mast or behind the mast?

It would fall about where you drop it.

c_lazy_r
06-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Sincerely,

Plaxico Burress

Or your foot...

DHallblows
06-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Sooo what tricky part of the question makes it so my answer of "behind the mass" is wrong?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-29-2009, 07:57 PM

sorry wrong. none of those things change the time it takes the dropped bullet and the fired bullet from hitting the ground at the same time.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Rotation of the bullet
Curvature of the earth

nope

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Haven't ya'll taken a physics class? This is a classic Gallian theroy. Two object falling from that same height will hit the ground at the same time regardless of weight and mass. Hell they even did the test on the moon with a hammer and an eagle feather.

DHallblows
06-29-2009, 08:15 PM
So here's an actual sweet physics thing rather than something random and stupid one that we all learned in high school...

http://imgur.com/2zcg.gif

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
you can even do this test your self. first take 2 coins (Quarter). Place 1 quarter edge of a table. launch second quarter across the surface of the table at the first quarter. Once the first quarter is hit, it will fly off the table faster and farther than the second quarter. If your on a hard surface you'll hear both quarters hit the floor at the same time.

Lev Vyvanse
06-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Haven't ya'll taken a physics class? This is a classic Gallian theroy. Two object falling from that same height will hit the ground at the same time regardless of weight and mass. Hell they even did the test on the moon with a hammer and an eagle feather.

Curvature of the earth has no effect? What if the gun was fired at the correct height and speed to achieve orbit?

Los Broncos
06-29-2009, 08:19 PM
if you stand on toilet, you're high on pot

:rofl:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Curvature of the earth has no effect? What if the gun was fired at the correct height and speed to achieve orbit?

No because your firing from shoulder level. It'll take the bullet about a 1/4 of a second to fall to the ground. Whats the average muzzul speed of a high powered rifle 3,044 ft/s. In which time the bullet will have traveled about 761 feet. Surly not enough time or speed to reach escape velocity.

Spider
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
A wagon without wheels is also a sled

BroncsRule
06-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Wow. Just. Wow.

Y'all must be a rocket scientist there, Beuford.

Where to begin? I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you meant "Newtonian theory" when you said "Gallian theroy", although it's hard to tell. By Gallian, were you trying to refer to the astronomer Galileo? He wasn't the guy you think he was. Probably Newton. Newton's laws of motion ring a bell?

Next, Newton doesn't work well in the real world, for a host of reasons, first and foremost because objects in the real world never, ever move in a straight line. That's why you need calculus to really understand bodies in motion.

Also - the reason the hammer and feather experiment worked on the moon is because of the vacuum. On earth, air density makes that experiment not work.

On the earth, all the environmental factors mentioned by other posters would interfere in your experiment, making the outcome impossible to predict.

You fail.

You didn't pay all that much attention in that physics class did you?

BroncsRule
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
No because your firing from shoulder level. It'll take the bullet about a 1/4 of a second to fall to the ground. Whats the average muzzul speed of a high powered rifle 3,044 ft/s. In which time the bullet will have traveled about 761 feet. Surly not enough time or speed to reach escape velocity.

You've obviously never been shooting, either - or you would realize how retarded this post makes you look.

BroncsRule
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
That is some high quality irony though - an "ultimate soldier" that's never been to a shooting range..

I'm not usually one to dish spelling smack, but seriously - "muzzul"?

Really??

Spider
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
You've obviously never been shooting, either - or you would realize how retarded this post makes you look.

I didnt know what in the hell he was saying , but it sounded good ;D

Spider
06-29-2009, 11:58 PM
That's why you need calculus to really understand bodies in motion.

Meh I dont need Calculus to understand boobies in motion

BroncsRule
06-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Meh I dont need Calculus to understand boobies in motion

Well, you would need calculus to accurately predict which boobie hits the ground first. Of course, the most important environmental factor for this experiment is - how much GHB was in the tequila?

tsiguy96
06-30-2009, 12:07 AM
you idiots who keep saying this isnt true are finding examples of "real world stuff" that will throw off the outcome by absolute fractions of a second, immeasurable times. this is not an advanced physics board, no one cares, in general and i guess technically in theory, the OP is 100% true.

gravity works on all forces the same, be it a windy surface or not, a moving object or not. bullet size, rate of fire, none of that matters, you may be able to make a case for a bullet being on a flight pattern with some forward resistance, but i dont even know if that is true.

Spider
06-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Well, you would need calculus to accurately predict which boobie hits the ground first. Of course, the most important environmental factor for this experiment is - how much GHB was in the tequila?

;D no boobie hits the ground when spider is around .......... A chance for a freebe feel ........... I am johnny on the spot ;D

Beantown Bronco
06-30-2009, 07:15 AM
sorry wrong. none of those things change the time it takes the dropped bullet and the fired bullet from hitting the ground at the same time.

sorry, you are wrong. good luck finding one sane person to agree with you.