PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Cromartie doesn't pull any punches

Sacked by Croel
06-28-2009, 05:36 PM
This is one of the funniest interviews ever.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/318

Some highlights...

Dan, Kansas City, KS 04:17 PM ET
Do you think you'll be able to stop the Chiefs' pass game even with Cassell in your division?

Antonio Cromartie, San Diego Chargers
They never had a passing game. They don't even have Gonzalez.

Andy , San Diego 04:18 PM ET
Who's the toughest WR to cover in the league now?

I would say Brandon Marshall, because of his size and speed.

Jason, sac, california 04:20 PM ET
Do you eat fast food? If so what is your favorite place to eat

Yeah, I eat fast food. Popeyes is my favorite place to eat.

anthony j, miami fl 04:25 PM ET
ciara, beyonce or keri hilson or keisha cole who would you take on a date?

None, they are too uppity.

Brad, Nashville, TN 04:30 PM ET
Are you the best corner in the nfl? if not who is?

I think I'm the best. If you match up next to Nnamdi from the Raiders, us two are the best.

Kane, Sacramento, CA 04:35 PM ET
What is like playing in front of the Black Hole every year?

It's boring in the Black Hole.

Danny, Germany 04:37 PM ET
What makes it so hard to cover Dwayne Bowe. You always seem to have a hard time against him.

Dwayne Bowe only has two catches on me in two years, so I've never had a hard time against him.

Chase, Canada 04:43 PM ET
Whats your fastest 40 time?

A 4.19.

TheReverend
06-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Someone should let him know the best CB in the NFL doesn't almost get records broken on his weak ass to the tune of 18 catches.

UberBroncoMan
06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Someone should let him know the best CB in the NFL doesn't almost get records broken on his weak ass to the tune of 18 catches.

At least said the guy who did that to him was the best WR.

Ramathorn
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
cromartie doesnt have the skills to back up his mouth. he better watch out. hell, Lloyd will probably take him to school this year.

broncofan2438
06-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Get this Chuggers crap outta here...no one cares

BroncoBuff
06-28-2009, 06:18 PM
He should have mentioned Champ.

Spider
06-28-2009, 06:18 PM
i think I can take Cromartie...........

montrose
06-28-2009, 07:07 PM

While your statement is entirely accurate, I will give credit to Cromartie and the SD defense for holding Marshall to 6 catches for 55 yards (I believe all of which came after SD was well ahead) in the rematch. It shouldn't come as a shock to any of us though. Seeing the division title was on the line that night, it's not as though the Shanahan's teams (post Elway) performed very well in the games that mattered the most.

boltaneer
06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Some of those Chiefs answers are hilarious but the dude should keep his mouth shut after his performance last year, injured or not.

Top two corner? He isn't even the best CB on his team.

BroncoBuff
06-28-2009, 08:17 PM
What makes it so hard to cover Dwayne Bowe. You always seem to have a hard time against him.

Dwayne Bowe only has two catches on me in two years, so I've never had a hard time against him.

LOL

Chase, Canada 04:43 PM ET
Whats your fastest 40 time?

A 4.19.

4.19 my butt.

TheReverend
06-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Some of those Chiefs answers are hilarious but the dude should keep his mouth shut after his performance last year, injured or not.

Top two corner? He isn't even the best CB on his team.

Agreed. Shame it took Jammer the better part of a decade to learn how to play the game.

Pony Boy
06-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Agreed :thumbsup:

Baba Booey
06-28-2009, 10:02 PM
I heard Cromartie wears boy shorts.

SoCalBronco
06-28-2009, 11:07 PM
He should have mentioned Champ.

In all honesty....Asomugha HAS moved ahead of Champ and he is the premier corner, now, IMO. Champ is still definitely in the Top 3. Asomugha is the best, though.

Florida_Bronco
06-28-2009, 11:11 PM
In all honesty....Asomugha HAS moved ahead of Champ and he is the premier corner, now, IMO. Champ is still definitely in the Top 3. Asomugha is the best, though.

He's only moved ahead of the injured, 2008 version of Champ Bailey. He has a long ways to go before he becomes the game changer Bailey has been for most of his career.

Xenos
06-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Agreed. Shame it took Jammer the better part of a decade to learn how to play the game.
Do me a favor and don't comment on other team's players if you don't know what you're talking about.

Jammer was drafted in 2002 and has performed at an elite level since the last 10 games of 2005.

He had a poor 2004 season and part of 2005 because of the Ty Law rule. When you're drafted as a physical corner in the veins of Ty Law, you're going to take some time to adjust to the new rules. Fortunately, he's a quick learner.

boltaneer
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Do me a favor and don't comment on other team's players if you don't know what you're talking about.

Jammer was drafted in 2002 and has performed at an elite level since the last 10 games of 2005.

He had a poor 2004 season and part of 2005 because of the Ty Law rule. When you're drafted as a physical corner in the veins of Ty Law, you're going to take some time to adjust to the new rules. Fortunately, he's a quick learner.

Agreed.

Jammer struggled the first few years because of the illegal contact rule changes but he has adapted well in his fourth year. While he's not a play maker, he shuts down receivers as well as you can in this day and age. He's a top ten corner IMO.

Cromartie gets all the hype because he makes flashy interceptions and big returns despite giving up big plays. That's fine and all. I understand the ESPN/Sportscenter world we live in now.

The unfortunate thing for the Chargers is that I'm not sure they'll be able to keep him around when he realizes his full potential. Because of his playmaking ability, he's still going to command a monster contract in 2011 and the Chargers have bigger contracts to commit to (Rivers/Merriman) and they have Cason waiting in the wings who is already playing very well.

SoCalBronco
06-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Agreed.

the Chargers have bigger contracts to commit to (Rivers/Merriman) .

I thought you guys pretty much moved on from Merriman, no? I know he's coming back this year and all but the signals from Charger management appear to be that they're going to just try and replace him because he'll command too huge of a deal and also because he's now potentially not reliable due to injury etc. Didn't you guys devote a very high pick to a pass rushing OLB? I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended to replace Phillips who was previously extended by the club.

JJJ
06-29-2009, 12:43 AM
I would put a Merriman signing of another LT contract at no more than 10%.

I would put the odds of franchising him much closer to 50%.

I think in AJ and Merriman you have two hard headed cats. That usually doesn't work out.

ZONA
06-29-2009, 01:16 AM

That place has the absolute worst chicken ever. One of the worst places to eat. It's right up there with Long John Silvers (nastiest fish on the planet).

boltaneer
06-29-2009, 01:23 AM
I agree with JJJ that the odds are pretty low that they'll be able to strike a deal with Merriman. They're going to want to see how he performs this season first.

I think it's almost guaranteed that Merriman is going to be franchised unless something crazy happens like the Chargers not being able to get a deal done with Rivers this year but I think the Rivers deal is coming soon. There is talk that both Rivers and Eli's agent are playing the waiting game as to who get a contract extension first so they can up the deal for their client.

If there is no new CBA, Merriman is hosed. He'll be a restricted for another year but maybe that will actually lower his asking price at that point.

Sacked by Croel
06-29-2009, 03:20 AM

That place has the absolute worst chicken ever. One of the worst places to eat. It's right up there with Long John Silvers (nastiest fish on the planet).

I like Popeyes because it cleans you out. The spices in the chicken make you **** fire!!!

HILife
06-29-2009, 05:51 AM

And 50 drops.

TheReverend
06-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Uh huh. He performed at such an elite level that they had him on rookie Eddie Royal instead of Brandon Marshall week 2 last season...

boltaneer
06-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Uh huh. He performed at such an elite level that they had him on rookie Eddie Royal instead of Brandon Marshall week 2 last season...

Wrong.

The Chargers don't match up their corners to a specific receiver. Jammer always lines up as the LCB regardless of who the receiver is. The only time it doesn't work like this is when they line up two WRs on one side with man to man coverage.

The Broncos and other teams have been smart to exploit this and throw away from Jammer to their best WRs. I've been hoping forever that this changes, especially with Rivera putting his stamp on the defense this season but this seems to be the scheme we always run regardless of who is DC.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Wrong.

The Chargers don't match up their corners to a specific receiver. Jammer always lines up as the LCB regardless of who the receiver is. The only time it doesn't work like this is when they line up two WRs on one side with man to man coverage.

The Broncos and other teams have been smart to exploit this and throw away from Jammer to their best WRs. I've been hoping forever that this changes, especially with Rivera putting his stamp on the defense this season but this seems to be the scheme we always run regardless of who is DC.

We have the same problem with bailey. He just plays a side of the field

TheReverend
06-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Wrong.

Quite possibly the case, but you'd think an adjustment would be in order when you're getting beating like a red headed mule by one guy.

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
LOL

4.19 my butt.

That was on a free fall sky-dive.

BroncoBuff
06-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I thought you guys pretty much moved on from Merriman, no? I know he's coming back this year and all but the signals from Charger management appear to be that they're going to just try and replace him because he'll command too huge of a deal and also because he's now potentially not reliable due to injury etc. Didn't you guys devote a very high pick to a pass rushing OLB? I'm pretty sure that wasn't intended to replace Phillips who was previously extended by the club.

Good analysis ... defnitely, injury rehab and Roids withdrawal make the level of effectiveness upon his return highly questionable. It also makes ranking Merriman #14 on that list of the 50 best players sheer insanity :clown:

boltaneer
06-29-2009, 11:38 AM
We have the same problem with bailey. He just plays a side of the field

A lot of teams do it this way. I'm not sure of the logic behind it but there must be a good reason.

400HZ
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
The Chargers are going to see where Merriman is at with his knee and also wait to see how much DeMarcus Ware gets paid before making any type of move on him. AJ Smith is ****ing high if he doesn't offer Merriman a similar contract or at least franchise him for a couple years.

We'll see how well Cromartie bounces back from his hip injury, but I really don't anticipate him getting a second contract from San Diego. For starters, Rivers, Gates, and Merriman are much more important to keep, and secondly his attitude doesn't seem like it jives with what AJ wants. Cason seems like a much more level headed, consistant character.

gyldenlove
06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
A lot of teams do it this way. I'm not sure of the logic behind it but there must be a good reason.

I think it is easier for a cornerback to play the same side of the field since he knows the angles and knows where to look.

Cornerbacks rely a lot on being able gain position and if they are on the same side all the time they know where they have to be on any given route, but if they switch sides a lot all of a sudden they have to be on the opposite side of the reciever.

400HZ
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM

Pass rusher was the deepest area of this last draft and the Charger's pass rush sucked ass last year. I'd cut Shaun Phillips long before I'd let Merriman walk.

Garcia Bronco
06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I've never seen Champ in his whole career get abused in one game repeatedly like both the other corners. Granted the abuse came at the hands of our receivers, so advantage Champ, but still.

BroncoBuff
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM

I dunno, I thought that was a great interview.

There's too little straight talk from players ... that was one of the things I liked about Jay actually.

BroncoBuff
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I've never seen Champ in his whole career get abused in one game repeatedly like both the other corners. Granted the abuse came at the hands of our receivers, so advantage Champ, but still.
Once only... the '06 game against the Eagles at Invesco.

T.O. took advantage of his hamstring and ran all over him.

BTW, that 2005 Eagles game at Invesco was one of the Top 5 greatest games in Denver Broncos history.

Anybody wanna argue with that? BRING IT ON! :redpunch:

boltaneer
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Pass rusher was the deepest area of this last draft and the Charger's pass rush sucked ass last year. I'd cut Shaun Phillips long before I'd let Merriman walk.

I don't think they'll be able to afford all three (Merriman, Phillips and English) for too long but I do think Phillips will be able to bounce back going back this year, going back to the weak side. He is not a strong side LB and it definitely showed last year when he took Merriman's spot.

Phillips is reported to receive $3.4M in 2010, $3.9M in 2011 and $4.4M in 2012. That's not insane money for a good pass rusher. If they're really tight on the cap, I could see him getting cut if Merriman is re-signed but looking at his salary, I could see him playing out his contract here and having English take his spot at that point, if he pans out.

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM

He only had 3 receptions that game. The one big one came on the all out "zero blitz" where Champ gambled and missed off the LOS and TO went for 90 yds and a TD because there were no safeties deep. I'm not going to pretend that I remember the other two catches, but who knows if they even came in man coverage against Champ. Regardless, 3 receptions for one of the best receivers in the game isn't "running over" IMO.

BTW, that 2006 Eagles game at Invesco was one of the Top 5 greatest games in Denver Broncos history.

Anybody wanna argue with that? BRING IT ON!

It was so great you couldn't even remember what year it was played.tsk tsk

Kaylore
06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I thought Jammer had a pro-bowl year last year.

Bronx33
06-29-2009, 12:33 PM

BTW, that 2006 Eagles game at Invesco was one of the Top 5 greatest games in Denver Broncos history.

Ohhh i remember that game...

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8001/img8826n.jpg

But i really remember this part ;D

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5254/img8807i.jpg

BroncoBuff
06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
He only had 3 receptions that game. The one big one came on the all out "zero blitz" where Champ gambled and missed off the LOS and TO went for 90 yds and a TD because there were no safeties deep. I'm not going to pretend that I remember the other two catches, but who knows if they even came in man coverage against Champ. Regardless, 3 receptions for one of the best receivers in the game isn't "running over" IMO.
Actually, wow ... you're right, sorry. Sorry Garcia.

It was so great you couldn't even remember what year it was played.tsk tsk
2007 ... yeah.

But but, that was a TYPO dammit .... a TYPO!

STOP ABUSING ME BEANTOOOOWN!!!! ;D

rugbythug
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Wasn't that the 05 Season?

Bronx33
06-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Wasn't that the 05 Season?

When champ pulled his hammy ( yes )

BroncoBuff
06-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Yes yes yes yes .....

http://deansguide.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/quagmire.jpg

BroncoBuff
06-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Jeepers, is that Meck's OF1? Who are those girls, and where was I?

2005 yes, the AFC Ch-ship game year. Another typo, sorry.

TheReverend
06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Jeepers, is that Meck's OF1? Who are those girls, and where was I?

2005 yes, the AFC Ch-ship game year. Another typo, sorry.

Ask Meck to PM uncensored photos.

He's a good man.

Xenos
06-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Ohhh i remember that game...

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8001/img8826n.jpg

Brings memories of when the two Panther cheerleaders were caught in the restroom together.

Xenos
06-30-2009, 08:11 PM
You're confusing our management with our beat writer, Kevin Acee, who likes to throw out conjectures like they are facts. Merriman is going to be here for at least another two years after the 2009 season. In fact, unless he isn't the same player that he was in 2009, they'll keep using the exclusive franchise tag like the Ravens do with Terrell Suggs.

Xenos
06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
The best corners are usually on the right side of the field. That is the field that a right handed QB tends to throw to the most.

Heck, I think 2006 was the only season that Champ actually followed the best receiver around.

Northman
06-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I thought the Dwayne Bowe comment was priceless.

JJJ
06-30-2009, 10:51 PM
You're confusing our management with our beat writer, Kevin Acee, who likes to throw out conjectures like they are facts. Merriman is going to be here for at least another two years after the 2009 season. In fact, unless he isn't the same player that he was in 2009, they'll keep using the exclusive franchise tag like the Ravens do with Terrell Suggs.

Maybe. But I am not as convinced as you that AJ will double tag him or even once for that matter. AJ has numbers problems coming up and Merriman violates AJ's code of ethics in terms of thou shalt not create distractions, ala with his Hollywood gigs.

Hope I am wrong as Rivers and Merriman should be the clear priorities on resignings.

Do we know what kind of player he was in 2009?

Mediator12
07-01-2009, 09:02 AM

BTW, that 2005 Eagles game at Invesco was one of the Top 5 greatest games in Denver Broncos history.

Actually Buff, Champ only got beaten on the one play by TO after PHI had 4 straight 3 and Outs. He never played another snap that game.....

Mediator12
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM
As for Cromartie, he did Run a 4.19 before he hurt his knee at FSU. He was the fastest they ever had, including a guy named Deion Sanders....

Plus, he has a ton of potential, but he is a huge gambler like Asante Samuel. Both give up as much or more than they get, but they sure make Sportscenter more interesting.

As for Jammer, he has improved since 2005, but by NO MEANS has he ever put up probowl level numbers. His best statistical year was 2007 when everyone was still throwing at Cromartie, but he was still targeted 80 times. The best CB's usually only get 50 targets due to coverage. Case in point, that was Bailey's worst year in DEN and he only had 60 targets. Several other starting CB's were only targeted 50 or less that year. Guys like Ronde Barber, Nnamdi, Marlin Jackson, Rashean Mathis, Chris McCalister, and Samari Rolle. And, that was still when SD had a top 3 Pass rush.

Last year Jammer was not as good as 2007, however I have not finished the targeting numbers just yet for 2008. When I have them, I'll post them.

400HZ
07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
As for Cromartie, he did Run a 4.19 before he hurt his knee at FSU. He was the fastest they ever had, including a guy named Deion Sanders....

Plus, he has a ton of potential, but he is a huge gambler like Asante Samuel. Both give up as much or more than they get, but they sure make Sportscenter more interesting.

Cromartie took a lot more than he gave up when he took over as a starter in 2007. He wasn't shutdown-caliber, but he didn't give up that much either. Many fans have a terrible 2008 season etched into their minds now and are getting selective memory about the previous year. The Chargers didn't allow many completions along the sidelines in '07, and that was with the 10th most attempts against them in the NFL that year. Overall they gave up 20 passing touchdowns and made 30 interceptions, which are pretty damn good numbers.

TheReverend
07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Cromartie took a lot more than he gave up when he took over as a starter in 2007. He wasn't shutdown-caliber, but he didn't give up that much either. Many fans have a terrible 2008 season etched into their minds now and are getting selective memory about the previous year. The Chargers didn't allow many completions along the sidelines in '07, and that was with the 10th most attempts against them in the NFL that year. Overall they gave up 20 passing touchdowns and made 30 interceptions, which are pretty damn good numbers.

They were a good football team then. How much of it was Merriman considering the steep decline in performance in 2008?

Eh, regardless, I think SD received the division in a gift wrap starting in January.

cutthemdown
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I think Chargers are going to have a great yr. They are always better when people say they suck. It's when they are frontrunners they fall apart.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chargers in AFC Championship game, or dare I say even Superbowl.

TheReverend
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I think Chargers are going to have a great yr. They are always better when people say they suck. It's when they are frontrunners they fall apart.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chargers in AFC Championship game, or dare I say even Superbowl.

Can you imagine the drama involved in a Rivers/Cutler superbowl?

Bob's your Information Minister
07-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Antonio Cromartie doesn't pull any punches
Neither do I! (http://kan.scout.com/2/876201.html)

boltaneer
07-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Who cares about the Cromartie-Bowe "drama". The Bolts will sweep the Chiefs this year.

400HZ
07-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Can you imagine the drama involved in a Rivers/Cutler superbowl?

It would be great, but Cutler is never going to take a team to the Superbowl.

They were a good football team then. How much of it was Merriman considering the steep decline in performance in 2008?

Eh, regardless, I think SD received the division in a gift wrap starting in January.

Merriman, Jamal Williams being hurt, Olshansky taking the year off, our only decent ILB being suspended. Those were big issues. There are big issues on defense headed into this next season too, but there are more workable solutions than we had last year I think.

Mediator12
07-02-2009, 08:30 AM

I am a Cromartie believer, in fact He was the one player in 2006 I did not want anyone else in the division to draft. His skills are HOF grade, just like Champ and Nnamdi Asomugha are.

However, having those skills does not make a player consistent from game to game and season to season as Cromartie has shown the last 3 years. He has shutdown skills more than all but possibly 5 CB's in the league, but just like Asante Samuel he wants to be a gambler more than a Shutdown CB. That has got him into trouble and he did give up some huge plays and games to go along with the 3 games he had 7 INTs in 2007.

He has "flashed" HOF potential IMHO despite never taking it to that level for a whole year. He never took it there at FSU either, so he is going to have to prove he can actually do it at this level before he is an Elite CB that he should already be. It is pretty certain the Pass rush in 2007 helped him get incredible numbers and the lack of one brought him back to earth in 2008. Now, we shall see over time if he becomes one of the greats, or tanks unbelievable talent.

400HZ
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I am a Cromartie believer, in fact He was the one player in 2006 I did not want anyone else in the division to draft. His skills are HOF grade, just like Champ and Nnamdi Asomugha are.

However, having those skills does not make a player consistent from game to game and season to season as Cromartie has shown the last 3 years. He has shutdown skills more than all but possibly 5 CB's in the league, but just like Asante Samuel he wants to be a gambler more than a Shutdown CB. That has got him into trouble and he did give up some huge plays and games to go along with the 3 games he had 7 INTs in 2007.

He has "flashed" HOF potential IMHO despite never taking it to that level for a whole year. He never took it there at FSU either, so he is going to have to prove he can actually do it at this level before he is an Elite CB that he should already be. It is pretty certain the Pass rush in 2007 helped him get incredible numbers and the lack of one brought him back to earth in 2008. Now, we shall see over time if he becomes one of the greats, or tanks unbelievable talent.

Cromartie's great run covered the entire second half of 2007, from the point he took over as a starter and into the playoffs when he added two more picks to his ten from the regular season. There was never a point in '07 where he fell off.

He got beat like a drum throughout 2008, but most often it was because he was simply getting burned or being out of position and not because he was gambling too hard. Physically, the Cromartie of '08 could not match the Cromartie of '07. Mentally he had a huge fall off too, but often times a physical problem can cause a mental problem as well.

I don't expect huge things from Cromartie this year. He needs to really mentally toughen up to put last year behind him and get back into his old form, but I have doubts as to how mentally tough of a player he is. I'm glad that Antoine Cason is there in case he falters again.