PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sportsperson Of The Last 100 Years?

frerottenextelway
06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I hope I didn't leave out anyone obvious...

Criteria is whatever you think the criteria should be...

Haroldthebarrel
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I hope I didn't leave out anyone obvious...

Criteria is whatever you think the criteria should be...

Great list if your definition is Greatest American athlete over the last 100 years.
If the list is of the worlds finest you might want to add(on top of my head):
Sergey Bubka
Alexander Karelin
Paavo Nurmi
Wayne Gretzky
Eddy Merckx
Lance Armstrong
Pele
Maradona
And of course the winter athletes (since I am norwegian and follow them)
Ole Einar Bjørndalen
Bjørn Dæhlie
Ingemar Stenmark

and many more.

To me the critera is being that much better than his peers and taking his sport to another level.
So I would land with either Karelin or Michael Jordan. And how Michael Jordan became a fix hold name in places where they didnt even follow basketball probably make him my choice. Even though Barkley was my favorite player:)

watermock
06-26-2009, 04:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MP0APvTSMMw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MP0APvTSMMw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

frerottenextelway
06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Great list if your definition is Greatest American athlete over the last 100 years.
If the list is of the worlds finest you might want to add(on top of my head):
Sergey Bubka
Alexander Karelin
Paavo Nurmi
Wayne Gretzky
Eddy Merckx
Lance Armstrong
Pele
Maradona
And of course the winter athletes (since I am norwegian and follow them)
Ole Einar Bjørndalen
Bjørn Dæhlie
Ingemar Stenmark

and many more.

To me the critera is being that much better than his peers and taking his sport to another level.
So I would land with either Karelin or Michael Jordan. And how Michael Jordan became a fix hold name in places where they didnt even follow basketball probably make him my choice. Even though Barkley was my favorite player:)

Gretz is on there. Can't believe I forgot the soccer ones!

elsid13
06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
You put on Wilt Chamberlain and not Bill Russell???

watermock
06-26-2009, 04:58 PM

'cause he played for Boston.

Haroldthebarrel
06-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Gretz is on there. Can't believe I forgot the soccer ones!

My bad then.

One point. If the criteria is being the most entertaining player to watch, regardless if you like the sport or not, I know a lot of people watching Lions game with Barry Sanders even though they didnt really like the sport.
I remember often watching Lions games just to see what he would do.
He alone justified the Lions having a thanksgiving game even though they probably didnt deserve for anything but traditions.

TheReverend
06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I despise Basketball with a burning passion.

That being said, how could it NOT be Jordan...?

maher_tyler
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Jordan...if i second and third pick it'd be Jackie Robinson and Ali in that order!!

good poll btw!!

gyldenlove
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Rod Laver - Tennis
Rocky Marciano - Boxing
Pele - Soccer
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Basketball
Jerry Rice - Football
Sergei Bubka - Athletics
Annika Sorenstam - Female sports
Bobby Orr - Hockey

Los Broncos
06-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Otto Graham should be on that list.

Punisher
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Jordan

El Minion
06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Any of these four will do:

http://www.nndb.com/people/699/000026621/jim-thorpe-29_cropped.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/Jack_Johnson_boxer.jpg/385px-Jack_Johnson_boxer.jpg

http://www.wikinfo.org/upload/5/52/Babe_Ruth.jpg

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0407/041607robinsonjackie.jpg

FADERPROOF
06-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Jackie Robinson, hands down.

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2009, 06:54 PM
i'd love to be a homer and say Elway. but in the NFL, every 10 years, there is a new guy who is just as good, as the generation before. So I had to go with Jordan. basketball still has not found a guy who can do what he did. I mean Kobe and Lebron, Wade, Anthony, and guys like that are all great players, but Jordan was in a league all by himself.

DHallblows
06-26-2009, 06:57 PM
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2883/gifbinmuhammadalidodgin.gif

gunns
06-26-2009, 07:03 PM

OMG! Noticed that when I saw the "hype" at the top of the list. If you are talking Greatest Athlete it's definitely Jim Thorpe. Oh excuse me, slykinky or whatever might be around, IMO, he's the Greatest Athlete (as if anyone thought this was anything but my opinion). Elway would be second good as he was at other sports also. And IMO, Russell is the greatest basketball player. Sports figure means media sports figure to me and that would answer why Jordan is leading.

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2009, 07:06 PM
OMG! Noticed that when I saw the "hype" at the top of the list. If you are talking Greatest Athlete it's definitely Jim Thorpe. Oh excuse me, slykinky or whatever might be around, IMO, he's the Greatest Athlete (as if anyone thought this was anything but my opinion). Elway would be second good as he was at other sports also. Sports figure means media sports figure to me and that would answer why Jordan is leading.

Carl Lewis would have to go ahead of Thorpe in terms of greatest athlete.

BroncoBuff
06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Joe Louis
Jackie Robinson
Babe Ruth
Muhammad Ali
Pele
Joe Montana
Michael Jordan
Jim Thorpe
Wayne Gretzky

Tiger needs a couple more years.

gunns
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Carl Lewis would have to go ahead of Thorpe in terms of greatest athlete.

Why? When I think athlete I think someone who is well rounded in other sports than just the one they excelled in. Thorpe won gold medals at the Olympics in the decathlon and pentathlon, played professional football, baseball, basketball.

Pseudofool
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Why? Ability to throw out the first pitch?

Rock Chalk
06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
i'd love to be a homer and say Elway. but in the NFL, every 10 years, there is a new guy who is just as good, as the generation before. So I had to go with Jordan. basketball still has not found a guy who can do what he did. I mean Kobe and Lebron, Wade, Anthony, and guys like that are all great players, but Jordan was in a league all by himself.

Jordan was great but considering that he only became great after the truly great ones that played during his tenure retired.

Magic, Bird, English, Isiah, Kareem.

Jordan wasnt even mentioned when those guys were playing and they were on the downside of their careers.

WHen they all retired, Jordan became a superstar thanks to Spike Lee aka Mars. Nike made Jordan SEEM to be the greatest ever, but he really wasnt. Jordan won 6 titles in an era devoid of true superstars like those in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Jordan now, with that same team, in his prime, would not win 6 titles in the NBA with the competition of the teams there is.

The 90s were a horrible time for superstars in basketball. It was a drought of a decade IMO and thus the reason Jordan was made to be greater than he was. Great yes, all-time great? Probably up there, but greatest ever? No.

atomicbloke
06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Pele.

No other other athlete caused a temporary suspension of a war so that soldiers on the battlefield from both sides could watch him play.

Gcver2ver3
06-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Mj...

loborugger
06-26-2009, 08:57 PM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/photo/photogallery/anniversary/championships/01.jpg

ColoradoDarin
06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe - Olympic medals, pro football, baseball and basketball.

Most everyone else was just a one sport dominant player. i.e. Jordan isn't even close, everyone knows how he sucked at baseball, right? I mean he was bad enough that had his name not been "Michael Jordan" he would not have even played on a AA team.

loborugger
06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe - Olympic medals, pro football, baseball and basketball.

Most everyone else was just a one sport dominant player. i.e. Jordan isn't even close, everyone knows how he sucked at baseball, right? I mean he was bad enough that had his name not been "Michael Jordan" he would not have even played on a AA team.

I am down with that, esp the Jordan part. I put the Babe as he was an All Star slugger and pitcher. However, I forgot Thorpe.

ColoradoDarin
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
I am down with that, esp the Jordan part. I put the Babe as he was an All Star slugger and pitcher. However, I forgot Thorpe.

Good call on the Babe. I do believe (maybe Homerly) that Elway would have been a star baseball player as well.

BroncoMan4ever
06-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Why? When I think athlete I think someone who is well rounded in other sports than just the one they excelled in. Thorpe won gold medals at the Olympics in the decathlon and pentathlon, played professional football, baseball, basketball.

i agree with you. however i also took into factor the era in which each athlete was apart of. Thorpe was head and shoulders above random people. sports in Thorpe's era was nowhere near the level of training that Lewis' era was at. In Thorpe's era he in my opinion was seen as greater than he was, because there was no one for him to compete with. Lewis was dominant for a period of 16 years on an international level where there was great talent.

and if we are going to really give thought on truly great athlete's we should mention Bo Jackson. that guy was incredible. awesome RB especially when you consider he never actually played a professional season where he was completely in Football shape. good baseball player, would have been a great tracks star had he been able to get the notoriety that came with Football or Baseball. still holds the record for fastest 40 time at the combine.

frerottenextelway
06-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Your point might be right, but there's incredible irony in this post!

HEAV
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Jordan hands down. MJ23 was the blueprint that Kobe, Lebron and many others have copied.

Jordan made the NBA the second most watched sport (behind NFL) not just in america, but the world. Jordan is a global entity, people from the other side of the planet won't know Babe Ruth, Gretzky, Elway, Rice...ETC but if you say Jordan they will now him. Theres a reason why the NBA and basketball are more global now.

Also can Mario Lemieux get some damn love from hockey people!?

DBroncos4life
06-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I know he was short lived but this guy was one of the last great true pitchers....Sandy Koufax

Miss I.
06-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Pele.

No other other athlete caused a temporary suspension of a war so that soldiers on the battlefield from both sides could watch him play.

Have to go with Pele as well if we are going to evaluate influence, skill and world renown. While MJ practically owned Basketball for a long time (and everyone since is sort of measured by him), on an international scale Pele is Soccer or he was when I was a kid. And the reason they brought professional soccer to the US the first time was him. Plus he's pretty likable (not really a factor I know, but whatever).

As far as females, honestly the only female sport I really watch is women's soccer because I used to play and loved it. For my money in that specifc sport, Mia Hamm was my favorite.

DomCasual
06-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Um, Elway.

In fact, if you took a combination of skills of the rest of the list, and you put them all together into one Tedy-Bruschi/Steven-Seagal-like superathlete, that athletic dynamo wouldn't be able to carry Elway's jockstrap.

GoBroncos DownUnder
06-26-2009, 10:41 PM
"SPORTSPERSON"

Jim Thorpe.

Michael Jordan is the best "basketballer", no argument. Thorpe was great at sports (plural).

The argument about the era he played in is useless, because if he played today, with today's training he'd be a monster at whichever sport/s he chose. But that's an "IF" we will never have answered.
His competition schedule at the Olympics was utterly ridiculous, but he did it and won 2 gold medals.

Oh and he played football too. ;)

JJJ
06-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Gotta be Ruth or Ali.

I went with Ruth. He was so amazingly dominant over the other players, which there were many great ones at that time, that it just mind boggling.

1919 29 home runs. Next closest Gavvy Cravath with 12.
1920 54 home runs. Next closest Gerorge Sisler wit 19
1921 59 home runs. Next closest Bob Meusel with 24
1924 46 home runs. Next closest Jack Fornier with 27
1926 44 home runs. Next closest Hack Williamns with 21
1927 60 home runs. Next closest Lou Gehrig with 47. Next closest wtith 30.
1928 54 home runs. Next closest Jim Bottomley with 31
1929 through 1933. Was number 1 or 2 in the league in HRs each year.

In total led the league 12 years in HRs. All this while they are walking him 100 times a season.

In 1921 had the modern rules been in place regarding foul balls and if the Polo grounds were not so spacious they believe his home run total would have been 104 that year.

.356 career batting average.

2.24 career ERA with 94 wins.

Utter shear domination.

Throw in the antics and the personality of the Bambino and there is no greater Sportsperson of the century. These poll results and dishonor being bestowed on the Sultan of Swat borders on a travesty. In short the Babe made modern sports what is. Entertainment coupled with amazing physical prowesss.

Won't even comment on the silliness of putting Elway in this poll.

Jordan is not even close. Not even the best basketball player in history. There are 4 or 5 just as good or better. Perhaps the best athlete but no way in hell the best sportsperson.

Only choices are Ruth or Ali. Nobody else is even worth discussing.

Baba Booey
06-26-2009, 11:16 PM
http://cherrycanoe.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/muhammad_ali_versus_sonny_liston.jpg

prunch
06-26-2009, 11:18 PM
No one comes close to Ali

"I'm so mean, I make medicine sick!"

UberBroncoMan
06-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I went Michael Jordan easily... but I'm shocked at some of the other votes while seeing Jerry Rice still at 0... as for a Ali, he was poop at the end of his career, and wasn't "great" for the longest span of time. There is also no telling how he would have faced against a Mike Tyson (in his prime) etc. Personally I think Prime Tyson would have KO'ed Ali. DownUnder made a great argument for Thorpe though.

gunns
06-26-2009, 11:26 PM
i agree with you. however i also took into factor the era in which each athlete was apart of. Thorpe was head and shoulders above random people. sports in Thorpe's era was nowhere near the level of training that Lewis' era was at. In Thorpe's era he in my opinion was seen as greater than he was, because there was no one for him to compete with. Lewis was dominant for a period of 16 years on an international level where there was great talent.

and if we are going to really give thought on truly great athlete's we should mention Bo Jackson. that guy was incredible. awesome RB especially when you consider he never actually played a professional season where he was completely in Football shape. good baseball player, would have been a great tracks star had he been able to get the notoriety that came with Football or Baseball. still holds the record for fastest 40 time at the combine.

I understand what you are saying but there were people to compete with it's just that they went above and beyond even just winning. They help their sports evolve and place the bar ever higher. And those that play different sports at a high level are the true athletes.

I do agree about the era thing, IMO it's hard to compare athletes and declare a top one. That's why Jordan may have been the greatest basketball player of his era, but I find it hard to say he was the greatest of all time even in his sports when there was Bill Russell, Kareem, etc. He also was not an all around great athlete as far as different sports. Hell Elway was even better at golf than Jordan. Jordan also had the advantage of the media that the others did not, and that hype was a part of his greatness.

gunns
06-26-2009, 11:36 PM
I went Michael Jordan easily... but I'm shocked at some of the other votes while seeing Jerry Rice still at 0... as for a Ali, he was poop at the end of his career, and wasn't "great" for the longest span of time. There is also no telling how he would have faced against a Mike Tyson (in his prime) etc. Personally I think Prime Tyson would have KO'ed Ali. DownUnder made a great argument for Thorpe though.

Don't know about that with Ali. Ali's prowess was staying in the game. Tyson had to knock someone out quickly or he began to fade. That was his trademark, taking an opponent out quickly because he couldn't actually box a full 12 rounds with a quality opponent. Out of his first 14 fights he won 12 in the 1st round. That was remarkable but I think Ali could have hung with him and then pounded him in the later rounds.

Sacked by Croel
06-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Forget the Ali vs. Tyson argument. Frazier got the best of Ali. Go back and watch the fight films, Frazier ****ed him up. Ali might have won 2 of the 3 battles, but Frazier won the war.

Sacked by Croel
06-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Fans who are easily swayed by Jordan and the Bulls' success in the 1990s don't have a grasp of NBA history. What George Mikan, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson accomplished in basketball are all on par with Jordan.

SouthStndJunkie
06-27-2009, 01:14 AM
I voted for George Herman Ruth, Jr.

atomicbloke
06-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Why isn't Pete Sampras on the list?

TDmvp
06-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Only choices are Ruth or Ali. Nobody else is even worth discussing.

http://www.aceonsports.com/uploaded_images/rocky_marciano-739532.jpg

what about Rocky Marciano
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdjblkRkoPU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdjblkRkoPU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

SleepingTiger
06-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Have to go with Pele as well if we are going to evaluate influence, skill and world renown. While MJ practically owned Basketball for a long time (and everyone since is sort of measured by him), on an international scale Pele is Soccer or he was when I was a kid. And the reason they brought professional soccer to the US the first time was him. Plus he's pretty likable (not really a factor I know, but whatever).

As far as females, honestly the only female sport I really watch is women's soccer because I used to play and loved it. For my money in that specifc sport, Mia Hamm was my favorite.

some think Pele wasn't even the best player to step on the pitch. Some say Johan Cryuff is the best to play soccer. He was the pioneer of total football concept.

JJJ
06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
http://www.aceonsports.com/uploaded_images/rocky_marciano-739532.jpg

what about Rocky Marciano
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdjblkRkoPU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdjblkRkoPU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

Hilarious! Every time I start to talk about boxing a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out of his ass. Hilarious!

The Rock and Thorpe have to be given honorable mention consideration.

But Sportsperson in the SI sense of the word has to go to the bigger than life guys who transcended all.

No great American athlete will in a hundred years be called Jordanian or Marcianoesc. The next great one will be called Ruthian but they will never reach the fame or dominate and transcend their sport like Babe Ruth did.

BroncoBuff
06-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Fans who are easily swayed by Jordan and the Bulls' success in the 1990s don't have a grasp of NBA history. What George Mikan, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson accomplished in basketball are all on par with Jordan.
Good points, but disagree. Don't know about Mikan, but the other you listed had much better supporting casts ... can't compare Steve Kerr to John Havlicek. Magic and Kareem had each other and James Worthy, and in Michael Cooper arguably the best 6th man ever.

On the other hand, Jordan's six titles happened with almost completely different casts. Other than Pippen I think there was a 100% roster turnover from first title to sixth. He is 2nd all-time in steals and was NBA All-Defensive first team almost every year he played ... if they ever name an all-ttime NBA defensive team, he will definitley be on it.

And - of course - in addition to this defensive prowess, he is NBA all-time #1 in scoring average (30+ per game), AND #1 all-time scoring average in playoff games.

AND ... he missed almost two full seasons in his prime.

I think even with a grasp of history, Jordan is the best.

footstepsfrom#27
06-27-2009, 06:18 AM
What is meant by "sports person"? Does it apply only to athletes, or are we considering people who pioneered something within their sport or impacted the sporting world from off the playing field? Is this just Americans or is it international? How about one who used sports to impact the non sporting world? What about the non-spectator "sports" that have no audience like mountain climbing? A list of "greatest athletes" is impossible to choose from so I'll go the other way.

Here's a few who transcended personal performance...to create impact beyond thier own team or their own sport...in no particular order:

Jackie Robinson
Paul Brown
Muhammad Ali
George Halas
Fritz Pollard
Babe Didrikson
Don Haskins
Jim Thorpe
John Wooden
Pat Head Summit
Edmund Hillary & Tenzing Norgay
Roger Bannister
Jessie Owens
Tiger Woods
Lou Gehrig
Erik Weihenmayer

If you had to pick someone off this list it would be Babe Didrikson as being the single best combination of best athlete/most influential and Erik Weihenmayer's story as the most inspiring and impressive in terms of a pure athletic feat. Robinson probably changed society the most.

DHallblows
06-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Also can Mario Lemieux get some damn love from hockey people!?

Not when Wayne Gretzky exists...

DHallblows
06-27-2009, 11:03 AM

1. You expected Rice to receive votes? You have to play the most important position in your sport in order to be considered for "Sportsperson of the Last 100 Years"

2. Name a boxer who isn't Marciano who wasn't poop at the end of their career...

Sacked by Croel
06-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Good points, but disagree. Don't know about Mikan, but the other you listed had much better supporting casts ... can't compare Steve Kerr to John Havlicek.

And you can't compare 6 NBA Titles to 11 NBA Titles either. Russell and those Celtics took dynasty to another level.

Magic and Kareem had each other and James Worthy, and in Michael Cooper arguably the best 6th man ever.

Last time I checked, Scottie Pippen was an all-time 50 greatest player. He doesn't count?

Kareem won the NBA Finals long before he joined the Lakers with Milwaukee in 1970-71, his second year in the Association. He also is the NBA's all-time point scorer and is third in career rebounds. And has the second most points in playoff history. In total, he was a member of six NBA championship teams and six squads that lost in the NBA finals.

On the other hand, Jordan's six titles happened with almost completely different casts. Other than Pippen I think there was a 100% roster turnover from first title to sixth. He is 2nd all-time in steals and was NBA All-Defensive first team almost every year he played ... if they ever name an all-ttime NBA defensive team, he will definitley be on it.

And - of course - in addition to this defensive prowess, he is NBA all-time #1 in scoring average (30+ per game), AND #1 all-time scoring average in playoff games.

AND ... he missed almost two full seasons in his prime.

I think even with a grasp of history, Jordan is the best.

Despite the turnover, it wasn't like Jordan played with stiffs. In 1993-94, the Bulls went 55-27 and made it to the Eastern Conference semifinals without him. Hardly a bad showing.

Jordan could very well be the best, but he's not a slam dunk choice.

TexanBob
06-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Since there are no criteria, I nominate Elle McPherson.

frerottenextelway
06-27-2009, 05:20 PM
So, according to the poll results so far ...

1.) Jordan
2.) Thorpe
3.) Elway
4.) Tiger
5.) Ali
6.) Babe
7.) Jackie

Interesting, and good stuff.

I don't follow basketball at all, but surprised to see the Wilt hate. I thought a lot of experts considered him the greatest, guess not.

As to some of the names not being in the poll, some were oversights, most of them I didn't want to make the poll any longer, so I cut it off at 25.

frerottenextelway
06-27-2009, 05:21 PM

The problem with setting criteria, is that that can be an entire discussion to itself. So I just left it opened-ended to avoid the hassle.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
06-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Write-in vote: Sandy Koufax

OrangeRising
06-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Thorpe by a wide, wide margin

The Joker
06-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Ali was just larger than life in a way that nobody else on that list is.

That said, there are several people on the list who were vastly more dominant in their sports than he is.

Rohirrim
06-27-2009, 06:13 PM
That's easy. My boyhood hero: Duke Kahanamoku

http://www.tikicondo.com/images/duke_kahanamoku.jpg

lazarus4444
06-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Agree with you here, i was wondering where the Bo Jackson option was. Amazing amazing athlete.

Hogan11
06-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Wha? No Barry Bonds? ??? Ha!

frerottenextelway
06-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Wha? No Barry Bonds? ??? Ha!

I think by page 4 people will be upset Billy Ripken wasn't a choice. ;D

Raidersbane
06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Roberto Clemente........the man died trying to help/save others. A hero both on and off the field.

HAT
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Jordan was great but considering that he only became great after the truly great ones that played during his tenure retired.

Magic, Bird, English, Isiah, Kareem.

Jordan wasnt even mentioned when those guys were playing and they were on the downside of their careers.

WHen they all retired, Jordan became a superstar thanks to Spike Lee aka Mars. Nike made Jordan SEEM to be the greatest ever, but he really wasnt. Jordan won 6 titles in an era devoid of true superstars like those in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Jordan now, with that same team, in his prime, would not win 6 titles in the NBA with the competition of the teams there is.

The 90s were a horrible time for superstars in basketball. It was a drought of a decade IMO and thus the reason Jordan was made to be greater than he was. Great yes, all-time great? Probably up there, but greatest ever? No.

Exactly.....

And since the OP said the criteria should be whatever I think it is....Bo knows sports.

HAT
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM

I take back my last post........^^THIS^^

gunns
06-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Forget the Ali vs. Tyson argument. Frazier got the best of Ali. Go back and watch the fight films, Frazier ****ed him up. Ali might have won 2 of the 3 battles, but Frazier won the war.

Frazier did indeed **** up a rusty Ali in the first bout. Ali clearly took the 2nd. The Thrilla was probably a matter of bias, depending on what you chose to see. Ali took the first 4 rounds. Frazier pounded Ali 5th thru 9th rounds. After that it was all Ali and an example of his ability to stay in the match. While Frazier was a decent guy as far as his support of Ali during his suspension, his bitter, crybabyness over Ali's statements and not being able to see that it was the public Ali before a fight tarnished his image, I'd say Ali won the war. He apologized for what he shouldn't have had to and Frazier continues to play the bitter little man.

TDmvp
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Frazier did indeed **** up a rusty Ali in the first bout. Ali clearly took the 2nd. The Thrilla was probably a matter of bias, depending on what you chose to see. Ali took the first 4 rounds. Frazier pounded Ali 5th thru 9th rounds. After that it was all Ali and an example of his ability to stay in the match. While Frazier was a decent guy as far as his support of Ali during his suspension, his bitter, crybabyness over Ali's statements and not being able to see that it was the public Ali before a fight tarnished his image, I'd say Ali won the war. He apologized for what he shouldn't have had to and Frazier continues to play the bitter little man.

You should watch that HBO special Thrilla in Manila . Frazier won the war ...
The first match Ali lost , the 2nd the Ref let Ali hold behind the head the whole fight which was a big deal in keeping Frazier off him , and the 3rd fight Ali was going to quit and Frazier's corner quit first , that is going by that HBO documentary not opinion . Ali thought he was going to die.

And Ali is POS , a racist (to whites and blacks) , womanizing as$hole who should not be worshiped as a hero.

Never seen someone as dirty as Ali and as two faced get treated like such a hero ...

Sacked by Croel
06-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Frazier is still in good health. He still lives a normal life without assistance. Ali has Parkinson's Disease. I think it's pretty obvious who won the war.

DHallblows
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Frazier is still in good health. He still lives a normal life without assistance. Ali has Parkinson's Disease. I think it's pretty obvious who won the war.

Sooo...Frazier gave Ali Parkinson's

slyinky
06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
OMG! Noticed that when I saw the "hype" at the top of the list. If you are talking Greatest Athlete it's definitely Jim Thorpe. Oh excuse me, slykinky or whatever might be around, IMO, he's the Greatest Athlete (as if anyone thought this was anything but my opinion). Elway would be second good as he was at other sports also. And IMO, Russell is the greatest basketball player. Sports figure means media sports figure to me and that would answer why Jordan is leading.
Freudian slip? Anyway, my pick is Babe Ruth because of his dominance of his era.

slyinky
06-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I think by page 4 people will be upset Billy Ripken wasn't a choice. ;D
Reminds of a controversial baseball card from back in the day.

http://yourkidsnotgoingpro.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/billyripken89fleer.jpg

frerottenextelway
06-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Reminds of a controversial baseball card from back in the day.

http://yourkidsnotgoingpro.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/billyripken89fleer.jpg

I have the card sitting on my desk (that's why his name came to mind)! One of my most prized pieces of memorabilia, even if it isn't worth much. :approve: