PDA

View Full Version : Could Hillis Run the Wildcat?

telluride
06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Just to get some actual football discussion going, I'm wondering if the notion of Hillis running the Wildcat has ever been raised on the board. Think he could do it? And think that's something McDaniels might explore?

rugbythug
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Bring Back Rod Smith for the Wild Cat Package

broncofan2438
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Bring back Cutler.........ooops sorry

cmhargrove
06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
It's nice to have a few gimmicks, but the Wildcat lost effectiveness for most teams as the season went on.

However, Moreno or Royal would be my choices for the Wildcat. I would have to see either one air it out first.

UberBroncoMan
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
It's nice to have a few gimmicks, but the Wildcat lost effectiveness for most teams as the season went on.

However, Moreno or Royal would be my choices for the Wildcat. I would have to see either one air it out first.

We've not seen the Wildcat with a proven mobile QB yet though... hence why the Dolphins drafted Pat White. With a guy who can run and is also a much better thrower, I think we'll see the Wildcat take another jump.

bronco militia
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
now that this team doesn't have a QB, they may as well run the option for all I ****ing care

telluride
06-25-2009, 12:45 PM
now that this team doesn't have a QB, they may as well run the option for all I ****ing care

Why even post if that's your attitude? Just stay off the board.

DBroncos4life
06-25-2009, 12:47 PM
We've not seen the Wildcat with a proven mobile QB yet though... hence why the Dolphins drafted Pat White. With a guy who can run and is also a much better thrower, I think we'll see the Wildcat take another jump.

If Pat White does well I think it opens the door for Vick not saying Vick will come to Denver I just saying it only helps him.

bronco militia
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Why even post if that's your attitude? Just stay off the board.

LOL ****ING LOL Ha!

now that was rich

SonOfLe-loLang
06-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Is it even a wildcat if a QB is running it? Isn't just Shotgun at that point?

TheDave
06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
The question is can McDaniels implement it... JMO, but this kid is going to have his hands full implementing a brand new system. Not sure he is going to want to waste valuable reps installing a few trick plays.

cmhargrove
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM

As someone else mentioned, the whole point of the Wildcat is to have a fast skill player (not generally the Qb) take the snap and become a dual threat to run/pass or create misdirection.

Call is what you want, but the "wildcat" was the University of Arkansas' name for good old fashioned Single Wing football. I coached a fifth grade offense that used it the last two years.

If they got Pat White for the purpose of running Single Wing football, I hope to God he can take a big hit, because the ball carrier will get hit just like a running back usually does.

Jason in LA
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
LOL ****ING LOL Ha!

now that was rich

That's the same exact thing I thought. ;D

telluride
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
The question is can McDaniels implement it... JMO, but this kid is going to have his hands full implementing a brand new system. Not sure he is going to want to waste valuable reps installing a few trick plays.

Good point.

listopencil
06-25-2009, 04:18 PM
If they got Pat White for the purpose of running Single Wing football, I hope to God he can take a big hit, because the ball carrier will get hit just like a running back usually does.

Reminds me of the "Run And Gun"- I remember a coach saying that it worked great but you needed four or five Quarterbacks to make it through a season.

Arkie
06-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Just to get some actual football discussion going, I'm wondering if the notion of Hillis running the Wildcat has ever been raised on the board. Think he could do it? And think that's something McDaniels might explore?

I know Hillis could do it. He has. He may have been the first. Malzahn resurrected the modern day "wildcat" with Hillis at QB. David Lee came in a year later and made it famous using McFadden and Jones. Then he brought it to the NFL with more success, but people forget that Hillis was one of the original pieces to the modern day "wildcat."

cutthemdown
06-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Hillis I doubt has the skill set to run the wildcat. You need to be a little more elusive then he is IMO. Also has anyone seen him throw a football?

Dr. Broncenstein
06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
What about Alphonso Smith? He played quarterback in HS if I recall correctly...

Dr. Broncenstein
06-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I know Hillis could do it. He has. He may have been the first. Malzahn resurrected the modern day "wildcat" with Hillis at QB. David Lee came in a year later and made it famous using McFadden and Jones. Then he brought it to the NFL with more success, but people forget that Hillis was one of the original pieces to the modern day "wildcat."

It was a great way to get the three best skill position players on the field at once... plus it got Mitch Mustain off the field. Win / win for the Wild Hog.

dbfanman
06-25-2009, 07:11 PM
kenny mckinnley was a qb in high school and threw a few touchdowns while at south carolina. Spurrier used him alot in reverse pass plays

watermock
06-25-2009, 07:36 PM
White would of been a much better pick than Quinn.

tsiguy96
06-25-2009, 07:39 PM
White would of been a much better pick than Quinn.

white was gone moron.

BroncoMan4ever
06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
i don't know about us running a Wildcat like the Doplhins did last season, but i am expecting to see a lot more trick plays from this offense. I think Royal is going to be the guy to watch out for as our own variation on a Wildcat offense.